Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #121
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I guess people will do crazy things to lose weight and I shouldn't be surprised.

There are certainly some hardcore folks on MDA. I have only read a few threads there and people are constantly saying, "Grok wouldn't xxxx or yyyy." Someone finally posted, "He wouldn't blog either." So there you are.

I was surprised to find out how paleo I already am when I started reading PB (LC for three years and IFing for over a year) so I think if I was going to "cure" my thyroid I'd have done it by now.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I have been reading MDA all dang day!!!! lol I am surprised that i eat pretty primal myself. Not like some of the people on there and i dont think i could total primal, i would like to but cost would kill me right now.

Leo, thanks for saying that is pretty normal. That is how i have felt today but surprisingly i havent eaten alot and im sitting here right now thinking i should make myself eat something because im not going to be eating much tomorrow...lol And im not hungry!
I had my eggs and cottage cheese this mornign and then had a nice chunk of leftover pot roast with some garlic/peppercorn dressing drizzled over a cpl slices of mozzarella cheese for lunch. I grabbed a small piece of ham out of the fridge and snacked on that and then had a piece of coconut bark a little bit ago, 1T co with some cinnamon sf davincis and a 1/2 T pb on top of it. I havent checked ****** to see what my totals are but i know they arent much and i just dont know if i should eat and if i dont am i gonna regret it in the morning.

Tomorrow im doing the same as yesterday for DD. 2 boiled eggs and ill wait as long as possible to eat them in the morning. Im gonna take a can of canned shrimp and see if i need it tomorrow afternoon, 1/2 T co in my afternoon coffee and then cabbage for dinner. I'm having a hard time drinking black coffee!!! I miss my hwc on DD's.
itsmeshelly01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

I just put my totals into dailyplate and im only at about 1120 cals for today. What the heck! I dont want to eat too little cuz that might hurt me right? I havent been near as hungry as i though i would be with eating so little yesterday. I think im gonna eat something. At least a small salad with some ranch and cheese to at least help me out in the morning. Maybe the leftover chicken thigh i have in the fridge.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
You're doing great Shelly. It looks like you have some healthy eating habits. If you are choosing a salad to fill in the calories, you have some good control.

I don't think I would last long on PB, at least not at this time in my life. I may start reading the Daily Apple though.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

The daily apple was really interesting. It kept me interested for way to long...lol I ended up eating something. Once i got into the kitchen and got off of the computer i really was hungry so i had a chicken thigh, 1 cup of lettuce, with ranch dressing and few slices of zucchini and a slice of chipotle cheddar cheese. Ended up with 1604 calories for the day. I like that better than seeing the 1200. I think that will help me tomorrow especially since im going to get up and work out in the morning.

I have been eating this way so long that i do have pretty healthy habits built. I get off track a little and thats why i have gained a little in the last month or so but i still eat good just too much sometimes...lol I get the smuckers natural pb and its not that great by itself so that really helps with portion control. Its pretty sticky to try to eat it alone so i only have it on a piece of coconut bark or mixed into it when i chocolate pb coconut bark. It is soooo yummy!!!!

I have my DD tomorrow and have my 2 boiled eggs and my half can of baby shrimp ready to go for work. Wish me luck! Ill be having lots of coffee and hot tea and water to help out. OH, i need to share a trick that i learned here on the boards to help with appetite and it really does work. Put a T of or less of instant coffee into a diet drink. I use diet cherry dr pepper and mix it up really well. I was surprised at how it was and it kills the appetite big time! I drank that yesterday right after my usual lunch time and it helped alot.

Night ladies!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #126
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Shelly-
Don't worry too much about not being hungry on an UD. Most of us have found that when we 'delay' eating until our UD, we wake up not very hungry.

I think that's because the stomach will 'shrink' from the little food on DDs (especially if, like me, you don't go for volume), but appetite will increase during the day--as you found out. Yes, you were far better off with the higher calories, but I've found that even without feeling especially hungry on UDs, my appetite will naturally provide enough incentive to get sufficient calories.

It's far worse to overdo UDs because many of us have found that excessive calories on either UDs or DDs results in no loss. That's driven a lot of people away from JUDDD because the DDs were so difficult that they couldn't keep it up when they didn't have a loss due to too much food on UDs.

On primal eating-
When I found Mark's site, I had already eliminated all fruit, dairy, artificial sweeteners, and grains, so my only change was to switch from natural peanut butter to almond butter (my favorite 'treat'). I still think of what I eat as just generic 'low carb.'

I think I've confirmed that I'm definitely sensitive to grains. When I first experimented, I had violent stomach cramps and diarrhea when I ate grains after abstaining for a month. This past Monday, I ate some bran crackers that I still had in the house to try to help me 'go.' I had stomach pains all day yesterday. This confirms to me that abstaining from grains is good for my body, as I'm sure those pains are a sign of not good things happening inside!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Leo. Today is starting out not to good for a DD. My tummy is growling already! I'm just gonna try to ignore it for awhile and hopefully it will subside. I did get up and did an upper body workout this morning. I didnt do as much cardio because i thought that might help with being too hungry and i only did 30min but im still hungry already.

I liked marks site quite a bit. One thing i dont think i could give up is artificial sweeteners. I may get there one day but i have to have my crystal lite and hawaiin punch for my water and liquid sweetener for my coffee. I dont well with grains at all either. As long as its just a tiny bit i can be ok but more than that and it really bothers me.

Off to work. Wish me luck today. I think it might be rough. But i can do this!!! I will just think about tomorrow!!! LOL
Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

_2096035a0fsxt0umn.gif Good morning everyone!

DD here. I have been craving cauliflower soup, so I'll be making that today. Even with whole milk, one head of cauliflower, chicken broth, onion and spices, I can get the recipe to come out around 500 calories. DH is up North, and there will be too much for me to eat at 5:00 pm, so I'll have some at noon also. I have had two high UD's this week, so I'll be happy to weigh in without a gain on Sat.

Leo I have read that gluten intolerance isn't usually but can be dangerous in some people if gluten is not eliminated. I plan on being tested (which is a very expensive test) as I have ab distention after eating certain grains. I don't have pain though.

Shelly I often tell myself on DD's, "I don't care if I'm hungry I plan on doing what I have to do to get this weight off. I'm only dieting every other day. I know I can do this." You're doing great so far, I hope your work day goes well today.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #129
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
Yes, I know that the test for gluten intolerance is very expensive, and I've also heard that it's notoriously inaccurate. That's why I decided to do a 'self test' a few months ago by eliminating all grains for about a month and then eating bread (a lot at one meal). My reaction convinced me that I have at the very least a 'sensitivity' that should keep me away from grains. I think my many years of low carb eating is the reason I didn't discover this sooner, as I had very, very little in terms of grains--except for a couple of bran crackers. So it hasn't been difficult for me to abstain completely.

Shelly-
Most of us have found that DDs can be totally unpredictable. Some of them are easy and at other times, I wake up hungry and have to "white knuckle" it through the day. Someone on this board wrote once that hunger is our body's way of warning us that if we don't give it some food, it will tap into our fat stores. Since that's what I want, it helps me to deal with DD hunger (even if it's not true, I'd like to believe it:-)

I don't usually work out on DDs, which is why I do them on M, W, Fri--I usually try for my pool workout on Tues, Thurs, and Sun. But I'm going to try some morning walking on DDs as soon as I get my life in order from my recent vacation--i.e., next week.

The reason I gave up all artificial sweeteners is that I discovered that on DDs, they made me hungry! Some people's bodies respond to AS the same as sugar, and I seem to be one of them--i.e., I get an insulin response. I didn't use them much because I always drink my coffee and tea completely plain (no sugar, no cream), and the bonus has been that total abstinence has helped me deal with my incredible sweet tooth--i.e., I'm not really as tempted by sweets as I've been in the past.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
What is MDA that you are all talking about?
I have no clue what primal eating is either. This is the first that I have heard of it.
I use a lot of AS and dairy so I guess it would not be for me. Though I do find that
the more AS I use, the more I crave. I think for me it's the sweet taste,not an insulin
response, but I could be wrong.
As for the thyroid med discussion, I read that treating "subclinical hypothryoidism" with low dose med can possibly prevent full blown hypothyroidism later on. May or may not be true. My doc didn't believe it. I don't like taking drugs either, I just wanted to feel better.
So, I became a reverse snow bird of sorts. My biggest problem was really lack of sunshine (S.A.D). Being able to live in both FL and OH has helped my mood which has helped my energy level to a degree.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #131
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelly, I have those tough DDs sometimes. If it is really bad I will tell myself "At X o'clock, if I'm still this hungry, I'll have an extra 100 cals." Usually by the time x o'clock comes it has passed, but if it hasn't I have a snack. I buy the 100 calorie packs of cocoa almonds and they work pretty well for situations like that.

I am an elementary school teacher and one year I had a little girl that cried at home to get her way. She didn't cry at school so the parents came to ask me for advice about how to get her to stop. My advice was don't give in to her. Dad said, "But she'll cry." I told him, "Let her. I have seen lots of kids cry. They always live."

The point to my story... I have been hungry lots of times in my life and I have always lived. Just remind yourself, it takes three weeks to die of starvation. You'll have an UD before then.

I also like to think of the hunger meaning I'm dipping into fat stores idea too.

Leo & Redeemed, I am also self-diagnosed gluten intolerant. I have a friend at work who got diagnosed and when she told me her symptoms they sounded familiar so I quit wheat with her. I felt 1000x better. People asked for a while if I was going to go to the doctor, but what was he going to tell me to do? Quit eating wheat? I had low carbed in the past and read many LC books, so I already believed I didn't need grain and really would be better off without it anyway, so I just quit.

Since then I have "diagnosed" at least three other people at work. One had been having laser treatments on her face for rosacea for years and it completely cleared up. There is plenty of wheat-free food at potlucks now.

JLP, MDA stands for Mark's Daily Apple. It is the website & blog of Mark Sisson who wrote a book called The Primal Blueprint. It isn't really a diet book so much as a "lifestyle guide." He advocates food and exercise that he says we have evolved with, prior to the advent of agriculture- meat, veggies, nuts, seed, some fruit, no grains, no artificial ingrediants and limited dairy.

What are your thyroid test results that make you "subclinical?" If you felt bad enough to get tested, my guess is you are full-on hypothyroid. Those "ranges" are huge and not an accurate measurement of YOU. My values were all "in range" too, but I was definately NOT normal.

When my youngest was born, I started labor and went to the hospital when my contractions were 5 min apart like I was supposed to. They hooked me up to the monitor and it didn't show any contractions. They politely treated me like a loon for a couple of hours. I assure you the contractions WERE there. They finally called my OB who must have told them I was not crazy and wouldn't be faking labor so they put me in a delivery room and the OB came down. That monitor didn't show ANY of my contractions until it was time to push, then it went off the charts.

The point to this story (I am full of stories today).... we know our bodies and what is normal and not normal. If you have the symptoms of hypothyroidism and are in the low end or below range, you need treatment.

I have never heard of treating hypothyroidism early to prevent it from getting worse. I tend to think it comes on gradually (for me it seemed to anyway), if you catch it early, later you will need a med adjustment which really is pretty easy so it won't seem like "new treatment." I am just thinking out loud though, I don't really know.

DD for me today. Nothing special planned, just taking my son to the dentist.

I read through one of the HCG threads and there are a lot of good ideas for low cal meals and snacks. They do 500 calories a day for about a month so they need to get creative I guess. One thing that I had never thought too much about is cucumbers. A whole one peeled is 20 calories. I had one on my last DD and will probably have another today. I peeled it, sliced it and ground sea salt over it. It was pretty good.

Have a good JUDDD day everyone.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #132
Senior LCF member

JLP-
I'd like to piggyback on Gina's comments about thyroid. When they refer to "subclinical" it only means that your numbers are within the lab ranges. But lab ranges are 'normal' for a wide population, and they may not be 'normal' for any individual. For example, a TSH up to 3.0 is considered 'normal,' but when mine was 2.6, I could barely get out of bed in the morning, and I feel best when it's about 1.0 or lower.

So most good thyroid doctors consider symptoms more than the specific numbers. That's why my first endo medicated me immediately before even seeing blood test results--my symptoms were very severe. The meds are not to delay hypothyroidism; if you have symptoms and respond to the meds, you're already hypo, regardless of the lab numbers.

As Gina mentioned, meds usually have to be increased after the first dosage, mainly because a good doctor won't start you on too high a dose because your body needs to adjust to these incoming hormones. And once you're medicated, your poor thyroid stops stressing itself to push out enough hormones to keep you alive, and the lower level then requires increased meds.You're not getting 'worse,' you're simply getting what your body has been needing.

Gina-
Sorry that I never mentioned cucumbers! I used to regularly slice them for homemade pickles, and I discovered that they're also great just with sea salt. My new favorite is brussels sprouts in my pickle juice. Redeemed wrote about that, and I love them for DDs!

Last edited by Leo41; 07-21-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #133
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
JLP-

Gina-
Sorry that I never mentioned cucumbers! I used to regularly slice them for homemade pickles, and I discovered that they're also great just with sea salt. My new favorite is brussels sprouts in my pickle juice. Redeemed wrote about that, and I love them for DDs!
You did mention them as pickles, but as I am not senstitive to sodium I take the lazy way and just buy pickles. You probably talked about eating them sliced too and I just don't remember.

I noticed little packages of dill pickles in bowls in the store the other day (sort of like the little bowls they put canned fruit or applesauce in) and the cals listed was 0. I didn't but any yet, but they would make a good on-the-go snack.

I tried putting brussel sprouts in pickle juice... let's just say there will be plenty of brussels left in the store for others in the future.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys, my work day went better than expected. I was hungry this morning but it passed pretty easily. I had a boiled egg at 9a then another at 1030. I took my shrimp for lunch and ate a couple bites and didnt really want it so i didnt have anything in the afternoon except for sf cherry dp with some instant and water and some hot tea. I got pretty hungry a couple times and my tummy growled but i didnt really want to eat anything. Weird! For dinner i put the can of shrimp with the 2 cups cabbage mix and 1 cup mushrooms and a little soy sauce and cooked it together, it was yummy! It made alot so i ate about half and am gonna eat the other half later. I ended up with only 323 calories eaten today. Is that too low? I feel ok. I kinda got that lightheaded thing with the heart racing a little bit at work today.

Redeemed how do you make the cali soup? That sounds really good.
It was a little tough at times today Leo. I dont seem to have a problem with AS. I did realize today that my sf crystal lite has 5 cal per serving so 10 for a pack. I only use 2 packs a day so i dont think it will be an issue. I am thinking about not working out at all on my DD's. I seemed to do ok today after i got past the initial hump of my tummy growling. I think the boiled eggs really help alot. I keep trying to wait as long as i can before i eat them to help sustain me for the day. It worked pretty well today. I will either not work out or just do a lighter workout like i did today. I love exercising. It seems to just set my day off right you know?
Gina i do have some of the 100 cal packs of the natural almonds so i may take a package to work for those just in case times adn thank you for the tip about the cucumbers. I went to the store right after work and got 2 big ones. I figure that will be a great snack to take for lunch. Ill cut up a half of one and take that in a baggie and just nibble on it if i get too hungry. I was looking at the dill pickles and a good size pickle it says is only 5 calories. Thats pretty awesome! I may buy some but with the salt aspect of it i like the idea of the cucumbers better.

I was reading on marks blog and there seem to be quite a few people that fast. One thing i was reading was that it is the best for the body to go at least 18hrs without eating. There are alot that do the 5 hr window thing. What do you guys think about that? I had looked at doing that plan but didnt think i could go that long without eating something, especially in the mornings. I know there are health benefits to both ways but do you think going 18hrs or longer is really that much better for the body than what we are doing. So far, i am really liking this because it seems to keep me focused. I have been eating lc for so long that it becomes kinda mundane and its easy for carb creep to happen or to just overeat, which has happened to me and i have gained a few pounds. This plan gives me something to focus on and something to strive for. I havent really ever watched calories too much so it makes it a little challenging.

My SO is out of town on business and i really miss him. He got a new job and has been having to work evenings and it has been tough. We dont see each other except a little on the weekends. He isnt used to working this kind of a shift so he has been adjusting and he naps forever on the weekend. It has caused me to have some stress that i didnt expect. I have struggled with eating disorder before and havent had any flare ups in a while and with him being gone and me having too much alone time i guess it has caused the thoughts to start creeping in to binge and purge. I cant let that happen. I did binge a couple times and i knew that i had to nip this in the bud or it was gonna get out of control. This plan has been great because it is helping to stay focused on something and helping to have a goal everyday so my mind isnt wondering. Its tough struggling with that. Its just like an addiction. Its something i will have to deal with my whole life and work on finding ways to combat those thoughts when they come in. You guys that do this plan are so great. You are so helpful and have given me some great advise. I cant to weigh this weekend to see if i have lost a pound or 2. I'm not gonna stress if i dont because the other benefits of it outweight me losing right off of the bat. I know i will drop these pesky few lbs. I have lost so much that i cannot allow myself to get in a rut and start gaining. I wont allow that happen.

This has been longer than i expected. Sorry guys! I hope you guys are all having a great evening and UD tomorrow. WOOHOO!!! I made it through anther DD and your help has been greatly appreciated. I would have never been able to do it successfully without your input. I'm also gonna check out the menus over on the hcg thread. That was a great idea!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Cauliflower Soup

Shelly You can cut calories by using Almond Milk (Almond Breeze), but I prefer whole milk. Here's what I did:

Pour one box (4 cups) free range chicken broth in large pot.
Cut up an onion and put in pot,
Place 1 medium cauliflower in the pot, cover and steam until soft.
When the cauliflower is steamed, place it in a food processor until creamy consistency - then put contents back in the pot with the chicken broth.
Add one cup whole milk to the mixture in the pot and stir. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Keep cauliflower whole until you put it in the food processor because it's easier to work with. I plan on using the same base on another DD, but instead of cauliflower, I'm going to use celery for cream of celery soup. Someday soon I'll get an emersion stick blender, then I can skip the whole process of transferring to food processor and back. I made this cauliflower soup today and it really was quite delicious and filling.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #136
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelly, According the the JUDDD doctor, we are getting the benefits of a 36 or so hour fast. He says calories as low as ours have the same benefits as not eating at all.

You already know everything you NEED to know to follow the plan, but you might think about getting the book. It has some good information in it.

There were some folks here a while back that did Fast 5 along with JUDDD. If I remember right they had some success. They liked that they could eat a "normal" meal with their families.

For the last month or so I have been doing something similar without really intending too. I don't generally get hungry for breakfast and when I am not at work it is nothing for me to skip lunch on a DD. I have a snack about 3 or 4 o'clock (yesterday's was the cucumber ) and then eat dinner. The snack seems to take the edge off my hunger so it is easier to eat a low cal meal. It is nice to have more cals available for a "regular" dinner too.

About your SO being gone, I think I would try to get out or stay busy if you do stay home. Go for a walk, start a project around the house (painting a room maybe), a craft that keeps your hands busy, wander around the bookstore.... I have spent hours on a DD evening before browsing Netflix for health, nutrition and exercise videos. I also go to my library's website and request all the books that sound interesting form all the branches in the county and have them sent to my neighborhood library. I go to nutrition websites and check out calorie counts. I also like to go shopping on DD evenings. I wander around Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and look at everything I don't usually have time to look at. I can eat any of it tomorrow.

Redeemed, that soup sounds delicious. I think I am going to have to get one of those stick blenders.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #137
Senior LCF member

Shelly-
Please take these comments as concern rather than criticism. I hope you'll reconsider doing JUDDD. It's not a good plan for anyone with an ED history because it tends to incite the binge/purge mentality and/or anorexia. On another site, I saw people "bragging" about doing week-long DDs--i.e., 350-400 calories daily, and I knew they were folks with a history of anorexia. That's why Dr. J cautions that DDs can never be consecutive. I fear that you may be headed to an eruption of your ED via JUDDD because I've seen that happen even here.

In addition, most of us came to JUDDD because it was impossible for us to lose on standard low carb or other plans. For example, because I'm both hypothyroid and post-menopausal, I can't lose unless I stay under 1000 cal a day. That was so frustrating on a daily basis but can be managed well on JUDDD. However, if you're maintaining and only gaining with some carb creep or calorie increase, it seems to me that just a week or so of induction level carbs (20 or less) would help you get back to your ideal weight. You shouldn't have to do something as extreme as JUDDD--especially since it is known to be bad for anyone with ED in her past.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

873641qsfmzadxhx.gif Good morning everyone! It's raining cats and dogs here. I had to walk across the yard to the garage so I could get to the freezer for today's food. So, I got my morning shower before my bath.

Gina I believe there is a difference in emersion blenders and mixers. I'll have to check into it more. I also have a blender/mixer that goes from cold to hot, so I could make soup in it, however it gives the soup a foamy consistency and kind of a strange taste.

I work a 14 hour shift today and have to have all my food prepared, so it usually is easy to stay within calorie guidelines that way, as I don't eat anything other than the food I bring.

Hope everyone has a great day JUDDDing!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

good evening everyone. Leo, believe me i have thought long and hard abotu what you are saying but really something like is actually keeping me more focused on not binging/purging. It is giving something to focus on so i dont think of it at all. I never had a problem with anorexia, i always had to eat. I'm not having a problem with eating and eating alot on my UD's. Today i had about 1700 calories and i feel great. Tomorrow it will be about 405. I knwo what you are saying about going to lower carb levels but believe me i do that already. I have always eaten vlc. Its not really carb creep that has gotten me its eating too much legal stuff. My carbs didnt really go much up much but eating too much of a good thing can hurt you as well. JUDDDD is giving me something to work for and something real to focus on. Its too easy doing induction for me.

I was going to ask everyone if it is normal that i feel so incredible. Today i had so much energy it was crazy. Last night i didnt sleep good at all. I think i may have gotten into pretty deep ketosis is what it is. I really feel great and i think it has to do with the benefits of eating this way. I was so alert today and just really upbeat and had this great energy. Leo, i do appreciate your concern, believe me i do. I knew that there would be some that dont think this is good for me and i questioned it too but i think this is just what i needed. I havent thought about binging/purging at all since i started. And it was getting to be all i was thinking about. Im more focused on what i can and cant eat. I needed the discipline. Thats what helps me. Takes me mind off of doing things that arent good for me.

Gina i think i will check online for the book. Maybe ebay or half.com. I think the fast5 would be difficult for me at least right now. I am in that mindset that i have to have something for breakfast...lol I like having my eggs, they keep me so full for most of the afternoon. Tomorrow im taking some cucumber slices to munch on in the afternoon if i need them.
Thanks for the advise about getting out and donig something to get my mind off of things. Right now its helping that our son is home. He was at grandmas for 2 wks and i was really home alone. He is back home so that keeps me plenty busy!

And Leo i dont want to JUST do this because of losing a few extra pounds. I really like what i have read about how it affects the body and how good it is for the mind and the body. There are alot of health benefits, and i cant wait to read more about it. I am really feeling great eating this way and actually looking forward to DD's and UD's. Im also starting simplefit on sunday. I found it on marks blog and i think it will be an amazing workout and i love that its only 3 days a week. That will work perfect. Thank you for what you said Leo.
I will be posting alot and posting what i eat and i hope you will see that this isnt going to get me into trouble. It is gonna help me.

I cant wait to try that soup!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #140
Senior LCF member

Shelly-

You seem to have a good take on all this, and I hope it works out for you. In many ways, we're in a similar situation. I, too, can gain on low carb by eating too much of the 'good' things. For some people, calories don't count, but with my age and thyroid condition, they definitely count for me. I'm seeing JUDDD as a very good maintenance plan as well because for maintenance, the idea is just to raise DD calories until you've not losing any more. And going from about 350 cal to 600 or so will be like gorging!

I also don't do well with Fast 5 type of eating. I am a morning eater and breakfast is my favorite meal. I'll often either skip lunch or dinner without any problems, but I always eat in the morning. As Gina has mentioned, according to Dr. Johnson, who developed this plan, the low calories on DDs provide the same benefits as a total fast. What has helped me do these DDs for almost 18 months is the great feeling I get--energy, etc. from this WOE. While keeping calories so low on DDs isn't easy, it must be good for the body because, like you, I feel great.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #141
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

I weighed this morning (rather than my usual Saturday) because my DDs were screwed up this week following my cruise. I just did Tues and Thurs which is a real change for me. The good news is that the scale was at 168 this morning!! I think the change in eating different things while I was away helped confuse my body into dropping some weight. As I posted earlier, I stayed pretty much low carb (with a few indulgences), but I was eating different things than I do at home.

I've decided to maintain when I get to 165 because I probably have at least 20 lbs of excess skin (since my high was 340), so my body fat is less than my weight seems--and I look fine. Here's an example:

Yesterday I was out getting the mail (our boxes are at the curb), and my landscaper drove by. He has been doing my lawn for 15 years and also happens to be a neighbor, so I know him well. I waved, and he drove on but then stopped and got out of his truck. He said, "I didn't recognize you! You look amazing. Don't lose any more; you're perfect right now."

I'm not 'perfect,' but I haven't been in the 160s since the 6th grade, so I'm going to try to stay in that decade for a while.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

622839k5ptl85j9p.gif

Leo That is so fantastic! Three pounds to goal for you. I think what makes your success so inspiring is that: 1) JUDDD is quite challenging in itself; and 2) for the most part, your weight loss was slow. Not long now before you can go on maintenance, and DD's won't be as difficult. I know I keep telling myself, "I won't be doing these DD's forever!" The carrot on the stick for me is that once at goal, my DD's will be more enjoyable.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I purchased my immersion blender from Amazon. I debated whether or not to get a cordless, but decided I didn't want to deal with the charger, batteries, etc. They can really get expensive, but I bought a more affordable Hamilton Beach for $129.00. That model also had a 9 " stick so it should work for the deep pot I use for my soups. I love to puree' soup, and am looking forward to using my new gadget. Now my DD's are going to be a little easier when I make soup.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #144
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

Since you like soup so much, I thought I'd share a soup that I used to make a lot because it was promoted as "anti-inflammatory." I'm not sure it is, but it's delicious. You can substitute all sorts of things, but here's the basics:

(It can be done with plain water as the base, and I did that most of the time, but if I had any chicken stock, I used that instead.)

Put into a big pot:

1 or 2 bunches of broccoli--cut up--I used stems and all.
1 bunch parsley--cutting off stems
carrots (as many as you want--they're carby, so I only used 1 or 2)
celery (again, as much as you want--adds thickness to the soup)

Add water or stock--this makes a BIG pot. Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil until veggies are tender.

Puree (I use my blender).

I would usually add hot sauce when I ate this. It should come out thick, like split pea soup, and I find it delicious and very low calorie, low carb.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #145
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Leo, Congratulations on the loss! How exciting, to be so close to goal.

I have been havig some maintenance thoughts... I'm wondering why, if the fasting is so good for us, maintanence is a higher level of cals on DDs instead of fewer DDs. I don't remember if it says in the book what the calorie limit is that still gives the same benefit as a fast. What about two DDs a week, like maybe M & Th? I have a ways to go yet, just thinking in advance I guess.

Redeemed & Leo, those soups sure sound good. I usually have a canned "lite" soup for my DD lunches when I am at work, but I am not too happy about the ingredient list. I may have to try some of these out. I could freeze them or I suppose could can them myself. I make jelly and I grew up with a canning mom & grandma. I could even microwave the soup at work in the glass jar. Hmmm, I'll have to think about this more after vacation.

Shelly, I have a hard time sleeping on DDs sometimes (last night was one of them) and I seem to have plenty of energy.

I have no experience with eating disorders, so I am spouting "internet knowledge" here, but aren't eating disorders often about control? It seems to me the stucture of JUDDD could meet that need. I just yabbing I guess, but I am happy you have it worked out for yourself. I think having your son home will be good too. My kids stay with their grandparents for a few weeks during the summer. I enjoy my time to myself and I know they are well cared for and having fun, but it does get disconcerting too after a while.

DD for me today. I'm feeling a little "off." Kind of weak, shaky (my son used to call it "woozily" like Tigger when he was little) and out of sorts. DH said he felt like that yesterday and it is a bit better this morning so it is probably something mild going around. I am retaining water like crazy too which isn't helping. We went out for dinner last night and my food was good, but very salty. Oh, and TOM arrived. I'm just a mess, I should go back to bed.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the recipe, Leo. My soups almost always have onion, salt, pepper and garlic. I wonder if it would have the same anti-inflammatory effect if I added those spices?

Gina Right now, I'm drinking a mug of cream of cabbage soup (50 calories I'm guessing) I just made. DH said it was really good. IMO there is no comparison to this and something from a can. You could make the soup the night before and put it in a thermous for the next day. It should still be hot if you have a good thermous.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Leo, Congratulations on the loss! How exciting, to be so close to goal.

I have been havig some maintenance thoughts... I'm wondering why, if the fasting is so good for us, maintanence is a higher level of cals on DDs instead of fewer DDs. I don't remember if it says in the book what the calorie limit is that still gives the same benefit as a fast. What about two DDs a week, like maybe M & Th? I have a ways to go yet, just thinking in advance I guess.
Redeemed & Leo, those soups sure sound good. I usually have a canned "lite" soup for my DD lunches when I am at work, but I am not too happy about the ingredient list. I may have to try some of these out. I could freeze them or I suppose could can them myself. I make jelly and I grew up with a canning mom & grandma. I could even microwave the soup at work in the glass jar. Hmmm, I'll have to think about this more after vacation.

Shelly, I have a hard time sleeping on DDs sometimes (last night was one of them) and I seem to have plenty of energy.

I have no experience with eating disorders, so I am spouting "internet knowledge" here, but aren't eating disorders often about control? It seems to me the stucture of JUDDD could meet that need. I just yabbing I guess, but I am happy you have it worked out for yourself. I think having your son home will be good too. My kids stay with their grandparents for a few weeks during the summer. I enjoy my time to myself and I know they are well cared for and having fun, but it does get disconcerting too after a while.

DD for me today. I'm feeling a little "off." Kind of weak, shaky (my son used to call it "woozily" like Tigger when he was little) and out of sorts. DH said he felt like that yesterday and it is a bit better this morning so it is probably something mild going around. I am retaining water like crazy too which isn't helping. We went out for dinner last night and my food was good, but very salty. Oh, and TOM arrived. I'm just a mess, I should go back to bed.
On pg. 144, para. 2 of The Alternate Day Diet, Dr. J. says, "Personally, although I sometimes go as low as 30 percent. I regularly eat approximately 50 percent of my normal intake on alternate days for a couple of reasons: I know that this level of reduction is enough to activate SIRT1 and give me significant health benefits, and it's the level at which I'm most comfortable and don't gain weight...."

ETA. The book goes on to say (pp. 145-146) "Actually, as indicated by the study done by Ravussin and his colleagues that we discussed on page 65, eating 75 percent of required calories every day activates the SIRT1-mediated calorie restriction mechanism, and we believe that this level of restriction for a 36-hour period of lower energy, as provided by the Alternate-Day Diet, is sufficient to turn on SIRT1, although not as intensively as lower intakes on the down day."

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-23-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #148
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

You reminded me that recipe also calls for onions! And I also add garlic to most things I make, so feel free to add anything that you think would make it tastier for you. I suspect that it's the broccoli/parsley combination that makes it anti-inflammatory, and everything else is for taste.

At first, I was afraid of all that parsley because I thought it would make the soup bitter, but there's no such 'taste' in the final product.

Thanks for checking on that maintenance info for Gina. I've given away my copy of the book, but I recall his mentioning eating much higher DDs for maintenance, and advising us to just raise the DD calories until we aren't losing any more. I'm actually surprised that we can keep the SIRT1 gene active on the higher level, but I suspect a DD of 700-800 cal is still pretty low in terms of general calorie restriction.

I also understand what Gina is saying about just doing 1 or 2 regular DDs a week for maintenance. It seems to me that would work, too, but I think I'd prefer to do the higher calories, and go back to low DDs if I should find myself gaining--sort of like going to induction level carbs on Atkins to recalibrate. Personally, I'm interested to see what calorie level I can use to maintain, since I've had to be so very low to lose.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Good evening! I had a good DD today. Took about half of a cucumber cut into slices and my 2 boiled eggs. I ate 1 boiled egg and the cucumber today at work and then other boiled egg when i came home. I wont be making dinner for a little bit and needed something. I'm doing the cabbage thing again so i really need to make some of that soup and find some other things i acn eat for dinner. I may get tired of that pretty quick but it is really good!
Leo that soup sounds good. Im gonna have to make both of those. I dont have an emulsion blender or a food processor so i hope just using a blender will work for now.
I definitley have to eat in the mornings. I try to hold out as long as possible but usually cant make it past 930 or 10 and have to get something in my tummy. I think the reason this is working so well for me so far is because of the control. It makes me feel more into control and gives me something to really focus on and gives me direction. I can gain when eating too much of good things and i really hate that. It shouldnt take me too long eating this way to drop the few lbs i need to and then i will go up to about 600s on DD's and see what happens.
Redeemed thanks for posting that info from the book. I have really got to get me a copy. Im gonna do some searching this weekend.

Me and my mom are throwing my daughter a baby shower on Sunday. I'm excited but boy it has cost us quite a bit of money. We are going to pick up the last of the items tomorrow. Cake and stuff. She is due in august and im so excited to be a grandma!!! I am going to try to be good on sunday during the shower but i will have to have some baby shower punch!!! We are getting meat and cheese trays, veggie trays and fruit trays and then other goodies so i should be good, except for the punch...lol

Ok, off to fix dinner for the boys and fix my cabbage slaw!!! Have a good evening ladies!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh In

19_trein.gif Good morning everyone! My weight stayed the same this week. I think with my 3 lb. loss last week, my body is trying to fight back. It has also been very humid here. Anyway, I hope to see a loss next week, and will keep on with what I am doing.

Shelly Congratulations on your successful DD's and UD's so far. You seem to be making a great transition to JUDDD.

Gina Thanks for the tip to check out HCG recipe thread. That chili that was posted, looks good to me.

Leo I'll try to get to that soup sometime this week - thanks.

I miss, Ouis! I hope she's still with us.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-24-2010 at 03:47 AM..