Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
1722507yv0q4jwd07.gif Good morning everyone!

UD here. I'm going to bake some chicken before the weather gets too hot. We had a heat advisory the other day. With the humidity, it was very uncomfortable. I had a dream last night that I was walking quickly with no effort at all, and I was very slim. In my dream it felt like I was walking on air. I think it's pretty obvious I'm really looking forward to getting this weight off.

Gina I think I will use my juicer for the blueberry juice. I ordered a filter for my juicer, so will get started when that part comes in the mail. Hope you enjoy PB!

Have a good day everyone!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #92
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Redeemed, can you grow blueberries where you are? They are pretty expensive in the store around here to be juicing. Costco does have big bags of frozen organic blueberries for a pretty good price though. Let me know if you hear anything amazing about blackberry juice. Those darn prickly vines grow like weeds (well, they are weeds) around here. Tangled up in the poison oak. I can say we don't have heat advisories though, so I will take the blackberry vines.

I'm still having my running issues. I dug up an old journal I used to keep when my running was going well and I noticed I ate a lot more carbs and wasn't JUDDDing. I'm not ready to give up JUDDD, but I am going to try more carbs on my UDs so right now I am eating oatmeal. I'll try a run later this afternoon. Maybe between more carbs and the increased iron (all my tests came back at the low end of normal) I'll do better. Cross your fingers.

Oh, almost forgot. Since I have been alternating daily instead of MWF, Saturday will be after an UD and not great for a weigh-in so I did it today. I hit a new low- 172.4 That is just shy of 1.5 pounds for last week. Still slow, but I'll take it.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gina 1525597ewyscssq7x.gif Congratulations on the new low!

There is a bumper crop of wild blueberries in Northern MN this year. However, I'm either too busy or too tired to drive up North to pick them. Maybe next year (after being on Thyroid meds a little longer) I'll have the energy to do so. We have raspberries and wild grapes and rhubarb growing in our yard. We have three acres down here and a farm up North. I'll ask DH about planting blueberries. He's the resident gardner as he has been retired for several years now. His job is to attend to the inside and outside plants. I have been enjoying reading the JUDDD threads at MiniMins.com. It's a group of people from the UK that have been doing JUDDD. One woman lost over 9 pounds in a week - after being on the program for a while. So, it appears there are some whooshes a person can anticipate. About the carbs, I can go quite high and still lose. For me, JUDDD is about calories. I have yet to have a carb binge, probably because there are no restrictions. I love the freedom and am finding I am stronger than I thought I was. I do know now, that I should never work nights - that's when I lose control. Yesterday, I thought about going to straight calorie counting again and sticking with it. But, now that it's an UD and I have chicken and mashed potatoes planned for dinner, I have changed my mind. On UD's I think this is the best woe ever, especially on weigh day. I alternate my weigh day between Sat. and Sun. because of my pattern of UD/DD rotations.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-16-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 2008
Congratulations Gina!

Weigh to go!!! I had only 2 good DD's this week since I messed up in the middle of the week. We had a birthday celebration at work and someone brought the evil carrot cake....and I was off to the races! But I had a good DD yesterday and actually a good MD (medium day) to replace an UD this week.

I can't eat a lot of carbs and lose. In fact, the best appetite control for me is eggs every morning: UD and DD (on DD's, I use egg whites). It sets me up for better food choices later in the day. If I ate oatmeal for breakfast, I'd be binging on carbs the rest of the day (and I ADORE oatmeal! used to eat it with protein powder years ago for breakfast and I'd be OK, but I can't do that anymore).

Well next week our two traveling gypsies return from vacation: Leo and Ouis! Hope they're having great fun now. Thanks Redeemed for keeping things going in their stead!!! Have you gotten your "Vitamin D Solution" yet?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:27 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

morning001.gif Good morning everyone!

I'm off and running for a 12 hour shift. Egg fast today as tomorrow I weigh.

GrammyPat congratulations on the couple of good DD's during the week. I read where someone said that even if you only had one DD during the week and stayed within UD guidelines you would eventually lose. Haven't gotten my book yet, but looking forward to it.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh In

_2096035a0fsxt0umn.gif

Down two pounds this week (25 pound loss since restarting). My short term goal is to make it to Onderland by Christmas. So, I need to stay on plan until then if I'm going to make it. My Vitamin D book came yesterday, so I'll be home today reading. Hope Leo has a safe landing home. Looking forward to chatting with Ouis when she returns. Is JLP still with us?

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-18-2010 at 04:00 AM..
Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
yep, still lurking about. Keeping watch of everyone's successes. Congrats on the loss!!
This is one time in life when being a loser is actually a GOOD thing! LOL

Does the egg fast really help and how do you get through the day? I tried about a week ago but only made it to lunch. I think that over eating the eggs would defeat the purpose would it not? (I had 4 fried in EVCO for breakfast then 3 with a bit of mayo, celery and onion for lunch, an hour later I was eating everything LC that wasn't nailed down!).
I haven't read the Vit. D book, but I have read a lot about the benefits of D in recent months. Now I am reading that Vit. K is necessary. I don't always believe everything I read, but I'd surely rather take vitamins than pills. I started taking the homeopathic thyroid remedy again to see if my energy level improves. Will have to let you know about that.
Have a great week everyone!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

JLP Alot of peeps are having success losing weight on the egg fast thread. It's short term for obvious reasons. I think they use it as a stall breaker. I don't like doing it more than once a week (before weigh in). Some might say it's just a water loss. However my weight is consistently dropping every week; so, I claim it as a legitimate loss. I make 7 hard boiled eggs and usually wind up eating about 4 because it gets to be more than I want to eat. I will say it does curb hunger for me on those days. The Vit. book has some good info so far as I can tell. The author said that low Vit. D and hypothyroid are unrelated. This is something I have been wondering about. He said these are two very common conditions, that's why they are seen together often.

ETA: About the over the counter thyroid pills - they will not give a person the thyroid hormones they need. When a person with low thyroid is on the right thyroid hormones they need, many cells in their body are positively affected as needed, and a person can start losing weight if they are eating properly. OTC "thyroid" pills might give you a little buzz for a while because they affect the nervous system and not the thyroid. It's best to get the proper tests for the thyroid: FT3, FT4, RT3, TSH, and Thyroid antibody tests. Find a doctor who knows how to treat thyroid. The thyroid forum has a stick that explains the tests; and if you start a thread asking for a good thyroid doc in your area, someone should be able to give you some info. I spend a lot of time reading those thyroid threads - lots of good info.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-18-2010 at 06:23 AM..
Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #99
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Congratulations on the 2 lbs Redeemed!

That is interesting about vit D and thyroid being unrelated. I was wondering that myself. What the author says makes sense though. If you go in complaining of being tired, those are two of the things they would test for so it makes sense they would be seen together.

JLP, I would be interested to hear about your homeopathic thyroid remedy (what it is, if it helps you), but I think Redeemed is right. If you need thyroid hormones, you need thyroid hormones.

I apologize if you have posted this and I don't remember, but have you been tested? I tried a lot of diet tweaks & supplements before I got properly diagnosed and treated. Some seemed to help a little, some didn't. Once I found a good doc and the right meds, I felt like a new person. All kinds of little ailments I didn't know had anything to do with my thyroid improved.

UD for me today. I had my menu planned, but just noticed the cheese I was planning on using for the cauliflower tonight has disappeared down the gullet of one of my teens. I guess I am off to the store.

I have started using Fat Secret to track my food and weight. So far, I really like the food database, but the format is going to take some getting used to. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I just haven't gotten comfortable yet.

JUDDD sure does make for a choppy weight history. After every DD I get a "you are losing weight too quickly" message and a "you are gaining" message after every UD. I thought about only posting after a DD, but I like to see the ups and downs. I'd like to see if there are any patterns emerging from UD cals, DD cals or exercise. I don't think I'll be able to keep it up when work-school & grad school start again though, so those patterns need to show themselves quickly.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Well, i think i am this bandwagon if you guys will have me. I have been maintaining for a long time but have recently put on a few lbs and im really frustrated. I think i just need to shake things up. I have been trying some things that havent seemed to work. Added more fat, lower carbs, m/e fast, egg fast, works for a bit but not what im looking for. For some reason my appetite has been out of control and i just think about food all of the time and i cant take it anymore. I need something that is really going to help with my appetite and help me this few lbs off. I looked at all of the IF plans and this one seems to be the one i could follow. I dont think i could the 5hr thing. My schedule would make it crazy and then i really need to eat in the morning because i workout so early.
I need to put some things into ****** to make sure im staying under 500 but im thinking about 2 boiled eggs to take to work with me and then the cabbage saute thing sounds good. I will be using ground turkey and i picked up bagged cabbage and mushrooms. I can eat that for dinner cooked in a little evoo and some spices. I do use co so i guess i need to only eat that on my UD. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated. Im sure the first day, which is going to be tomoro is gonna be crazy. I will be so hungry but i have to do soemthing to get myself back into gear and i think i can definitely do this long term. I read alot and you guys seem to be doing great. Ill be posting as much as i can and getting tons of advise hopefully.

I have to go rinse my hair so i will check back in a bit to see what anyone has to say and to work on my menus.

Thanks guys!!!!
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, another question. I'm sure i will have lots. I workout m-f at 5am. I do pretty intense workouts. Mon and tue are usually almost an hour. I have my own workout i created i do here at home. I mix cardio with strength and weights. Example would be running in place for 1min 15sec, 15sec rest then squats with 8lb barbells doing shoulders or something. Then jumping rope for 1min 15sec, 15 sec rest then lunges with barbells doing biceps, then 30 sec rest. Mon and Tue are a mixture of everything. Wed i do cardio and biceps, triceps and shoulders, not as much of the squats and lunges and the workout is about 40min. Thur i do cardio and back, chest and abs for about 40min. Fri is another mixture with 45sec/15sec about 40min. So friday is a little bit more of a faster paced workout. So, what im wondering is should i cut down some on my DD's? What have you guys experienced with exercise on your down days? Cut it to a 30min workout maybe? Or has it not really been an issue? I read a little by someone that said they only do 30min on their DD's. I do get hungrier in the mornings because of the workout and i will still have my protein shake. I may just use 1/2 scoop of protein and no hwc on DD. Any advise on this would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Hi Shelly and welcome!

Just my personal opinion but I would not work out on DDs especially starting out. The exercise will make you really hungrier than you need to be and I think will make it harder for you to keep your cals below 500.

To help make it through the DD, I add 2 cups of chicken broth (20 calories) seasoned with 2 tsp. hot sauce, 1 tbl Bragg's ACV and sweetener. This seems to suppress my appetite really well and is from one of our major posters here, Leo who has lost mega amounts of weight and contributes much wisdom to this board. She's on vacation this week, as is Ouis, who contributes many creative DD recipes.

Other ideas for DD's are tofu shiratake noodles, the whole bag is 40 calories. And every DD morning, my breakfast is 3 egg whites (45 cals) and a FF hot dog, 40 cals. Hits the spot and keeps me going for a long time. Also, when I get hungry in the afternoon, I drink a diet soda or chew some SF gum.

Again, WELCOME, and good luck on your JUDDD journey! You'll find Gina, Redeemed, Night Nurse (hey where are you anyway woman?) and others here to be very supportive and helpful!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Shelly 651171i085p8my3i.gif There is a thread on this section for DD menus. However, if you're looking for a woe to curb your appetite, JUDDD isn't the one. Most of us get kind of hungry on DD's. JUDDD has proven to be a great stall breaker for some that cannot lose weight. Hope you find JUDDD enjoyable and find success with the plan!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome guys! Redeemed what you said about curbing the appetite might change my mind about it eventually. I'm gonna give it a try and see how it goes. One of my all time go-tos is vlc and it really curbs appetite but im looking to lose a little too and i thing since i have been eating this way so long i dont really lose when i vlc anymore. I have lost on the egg fast and m/e fast but that is just short term and i know if i can just lose this 5 or 10 lbs i will be ok. I know its gonna be tough. I hope and pray i can stick it out thru those DD's. I hate to get hungry but there is a point when the hunger goes away and hopefully i can get there without caving.

I think i will take the advise about the working out the first week or so and see how i feel. I will still be working out about 4 days a week so that is still quite a bit i guess just not what im used to. And hey, that might shake things up too because i have been working out just about every single day for a long time. I just recently started giving myself weekends off and that wasnt really my choice, things at home have caused that. I will make me some chicken broth to take to work tomoro. I am boiling some eggs right now so im going to take 2 boiled eggs to work with a bowl of chicken broth.
Menu tomoro will look like this
B- 2 boiled eggs, i will eat them a couple of hours apart
L- bowl of chicken broth with the hotsauce and acv
D- ground turkey, 2 servings cabbage slaw and 1 cup mushrooms cooked in the fat from turkey

****** shows
423 calories
22.3 fat
15.3 carbs
42.5 protein

46% fat/40% protein/14% carbs

What do you guys think? This is strange for me because i havent really watched calories too much just carbs and just seeing the carbs, im like, wow that seems like alot but its the cabbage slaw. Its 10 carbs but only 6 net with the fiber taken off so its not that bad i guess.

Well, thank you guys very much for the welcome and wish me luck on my first day tomorrow. I'll be drinking lots of water with acv to help also. I guess coffee and hot tea are still ok, just no hwc. Oh, how many cals and carbs do you usually average on your UD? I'm not gonna let myself go crazy on this. Will probably just eat like normal on those days. About 1500 to 1700 cals and below 20 carbs?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Shelly I only count calories, but try to be reasonable with carbs. I'm sure the others will come along and let you know how many carbs they eat. Several of us on this thread have low thyroid so don't go VLC because that isn't good for the thyroid. Your menu looks like what others and myself would have on a DD. I try to stay as close to 500 calories as possible so I don't get too hungry. You are at an advantage if you are low carb because that woe offers the benefit of appetite control. Tomorrow is a DD for me; and I plan on being hungry - that's just part of the program for me. But my UD's are 2100 - sometmes 2300-2400. Being on JUDDD this time around has actually kept me from binging because I keep telling myself on DD's, "I can have whatever I want tomorrow, and the following UD, and the UD after that." On DD's I drink Dr. Zevia in a glass with ice. This has really helped me get through some rough DD's.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-18-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #106
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome Shelly!

I have found it best to exercise on the morning of an DD (I see you workout at 5 am). I can't eat before I run so if it is after an UD I have yesterday's food with me. The MORNING of an UD (esp at 5 am) you would be running on empty from your DD. If I am going to exercise in the afternoon, it would be on an UD. Does that make sense?

We are all different of course, but exercise on a DD seems to help stave off hunger for awhile. If I am doing something light (like a walk), the evening of a DD is a great time because it stops hunger and gets me out of the house at my personal snacky time.

It might help make things a little easier for you if you read up on the benefits of intermittant fasting (which this is a form of) on your health besides weight loss. The JUDDD book cites many studies and there are countless articles on the web. The Intermittant Fasting thread (here on Other Plans) has some good links.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...ion-links.html

Primal or paleo eating are quite popular now and they recommend periodic fasting because they say that is how humans evolved. We would have hunted something down, feasted on it and then wouldn't have eaten for a while (like lions I guess). They say the whole "eat every couple of hours or your metabolism will shut down" is a new and counter-evolutionary idea.

Mark Sisson seems to be the go-to primal eating guy and he has a blog at
Mark's Daily Apple He has had some posts about it. Leo has been following Primal Blueprint (Mark Sisson's book) for some time now.

GrammyPat, good to see you.

Redeemed, I tell myself I can have whatever I want on my next UD too. I never really seem to want it though when the UD comes.

BTW Shelly, I DID actually eat much of the stuff I thought about on my DD in the beginning. I think most of us do for awhile and then level off. One person (I can't remember who) said they actually put some goodie on their nightstand to eat in the morning. My point is, if you find yourself like that in the beginning, try not to worry, it will likely pass.

DD for me today. No big plans, just around the house stuff and packing. We are leaving for a week-long camping trip on Sunday. We haven't used the RV in some time and we are going backpacking during the trip so I have a wide variety of stuff to clean, pack and organize.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #107
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi guys--I'm back and really missed you all!

I was scheduled to return on the '18th' but in the evening. However, our plane was delayed for 2 hours before take off in London, so I didn't actually get home until past midnight, and I'd been up for 24 hrs! So today, I was just unpacking, taking it easy, and fighting with my vet's office [more on that later].

I read over the thread from when I left (very quickly), and it's great to see how well you're losing, Redeemed!

I should get on the scale tomorrow morning to see what the damage is from this trip, but I really want to wait until Saturday (my regular weigh day) after I've done a couple of DDs--because I haven't had a DD in two weeks!

On the cruise, I tried eating only 2 meals (and managed that until the final day), but those calories really add up! I stayed low carb, except for the end when I had some ice cream, so I'm hoping that the damage isn't too much. However, I know that I gain easily on higher calories. Oddly, I really didn't feel as though I was gaining, and that might have been due to a lot more walking than I normally do. AND a lot of sweating! The countries we visited were, with the exception of our first stop in Norway, experiencing extreme heat. In fact, the guide in Helsinki said that the day we visited was their highest temperature in the history of the city! St. Petersburg was also have an uncharacteristic heat wave.

In any case, I really want to get back to some DDs. I usually follow a M, W, F schedule, but this morning didn't work out for me. Tomorrow I have an MRI scheduled for 8 am, and I can't eat before, so I think I'll begin with a Tues. this week and see if I can manage two DDs--and back to low carb--before Saturday.

About the vet issue--Just before I left, I'd taken my cat in for his annual shots and check up, and I told the vet that he had seemed to be drinking a lot of water in the last week and pee-ing much more than normal. They did some blood work, etc., and the vet is worried about renal issues. This is scary because my boy is only 6. The vet wanted to check him again last week, but since I was going to be away, he suggested that I bring him in as soon as I got back. Before I left, I made an appointment for today at 2:30 pm.

When I got back, I had two phone messages telling me that I had to re-schedule because the vet wouldn't be in today (I only see two vets in that practice--the only ones I really trust). When I called, they said that his 'first opening' was Aug. 4th. I told them that was unacceptable because my cat needed to be checked ASAP as a follow up and that I was sure the vet would fit me in if they asked him. They gave me some grief about that but when I was adamant, they said they'd leave him a message to call me when I came in on Wed. Later they called back to say that he is working the emergency service this evening, and I could bring my cat in at 8 pm. I know they don't like to make appointments during the 'emergency' hours, but they also know me there--i.e., one of the practice's owners has given me his personal cell number to contact him if I have any problems at all.

I usually don't make 'wave,' but where my pets are concerned, I'm really assertive!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the great info Gina. I will have to see what works best for me with the exercise because it makes me ravenous! I did read thru marks blog and also read alot on a ton of websites and the health is alot of the reason i want to do this too. I only need to drop a few lbs but i love all of the health benefits about this woe. I am still goign to stay lc and try to be good on my UD.

Ok, about my first day. It was actually really awesome. I am so surprised i made it through without going crazy with hunger. I think it really really helped not working out this morning. I took 2 boiled eggs and ate my first one at 10am, the other about 11a. I took 2 cups of chicken broth with hot sauce and acv and ended up dumping it. 1T of acv was just too much. I could taste it way too much. I put acv in my water all day long so i think im going to do it again but not use the acv next time. I had a few rough moments when i felt kinda lethargic in the afternoon and queazy but it passed fairly quickly. My tummy growled some but not too bad. I ended up putting a 1/2 T of co my coffee this afternoon and that made all of the difference in the world. It perked my up and controlled my hunger. For dinner i made the slaw stuff, 1/4lb ground turkey, 2 cups slaw mix, 1 cup mushrooms, 1 put a splash of soy sauce, onion powder, garlic salt and ground pepper and it was delicious!!! I am so full from it right now. I'm worried about this evening though. The hunger will hit about 7 or so probably so i may take a walk or something. So, all in all my first DD went great! I ended up with 438 calories eaten today, thats with taking off the chicken broth and adding the 1/2 T of co, 28.6 grams of fat, 10.9 grams of carbs and 37.2 grams of protein. I am really proud of myself and i thank you guys for the support and the great advise.

Tomorrow im planning my usual, protein shake during my workout, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese when i get to work, 2 egg omelet with cheese, lunch will be crab salad, 1 can of crab meat, 1T mayo, 1 boiled egg and spices. Dinner will be 1 medium chicken thigh, 2 cups of salad with cheese and ranch dressing and 1 cup of sauteed zucchini in olive oil. If i need a snack ill eat some braunswerger with mozzarella cheese or a T of pb. Ill have my usual 2T of co in my hot tea and tons of water.

Grammypat thank you for the advise on not working out today. I really think it made all of the difference. I almost got on my gazelle when i got home today, thats how good i felt and i still might later but i was too hungry and the turkey slaw was calling my name! It is weird that i kinda have this rush feeling. I cant describe it. Its like my heart is beating fast and im not tired at all. I really feel great and even felt great before i ate anything. Its strange, i just knew i was going to be really lethargic and just feeling like crap but that feeling passed and then i felt wonderul.

Well, sorry for the long post, im just really excited this day went so well. Its not over yet so wish me luck that i wont cave this evening! I WILL NOT DO IT!!!!!! LOL
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

I have these cans of baby shrimp and crab i use to make a salad out of and looked at the calories. 1 can of crab is 40cals and a can of shrimp is 50 cals. I think i might take a can of that to work for lunch instead of the broth. If i ate a can of that with what i ate today i would still be under 500 cals. Is it good to try to get as well under 500 as possible or to stay as close to 500 as possible. Having that little bit of crab or shrimp would be great i think. I'm glad i noticed how low in cals they are. They are made by geisha and really taste. Im having crab tomoro for lunch with mayo, boiled egg and soy sauce. I will just eat the can of crab or shrimp with nothing in it on DD.

Its 730pm and im doing great. I havent eaten anything, even when i made my omelet for breakfast in the morning and my lunch i was good. I am having a diet shasta cream soda so that is really helping.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Back Leo!

It's great to have you back! Redeemed was like a little Leo and picked up the slack on the board while you were gone (thanks Redeemed ) Sorry to hear about your cat; keep us posted.

Congrats Shelly on a great first DD! You eat a lot of protein and you started your day off with eggs; those two habits will help you tremendously make it through a DD in the future. As for maintaining at 500 calories on a DD, there are some on this board who do DD's at less than that and they are quite successful. And there are those like me who do close to 500 and some who do a little over 500. So it's a guideline and doesn't have to be a LAW! Again, you make it work for YOU and your body's metabolism.

Ordered Dana Carpender's Low Carb Meals in less than 15 minutes. I'm really enjoying her blog "Hold the Toast". She's very easy to read and has a great sense of humor along with a lot of information....UD today. You all inspired me to make cole slaw yesterday. It's a great LC and DD option especially when I make my own salad dressing for it. So I'm putting it on the menu for my UD too!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

428270sh42acnblr.gif Good morning everyone!

Leo So nice to have you back. I hope your MRI goes well today, and that they'll find all is well. I hope your cat gets better.

Shelly Congratulations on a successful DD. Here's hoping you have a successful UD today. UD's are my most challenging days trying to keep calories within my guidelines.

Gina I bought several pkgs of blueberrys and put in the freezer. I'm a little hesitant to start since it will be an added 200 calories to DD's - but I wanted to try that experiment anyway. As soon as my part comes for my juicer I'll start. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #112
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Leo, good to see you back. I hope you enjoyed your vacation and things worked out for your feline friend last night. Office staff can be annoying sometimes. I have left doctors I like because of the office staff. I am thinking about bailing on my dentist too for the same reason.

I have been reading PB. I am only a couple of chapters in and it is very interesting stuff. I started visiting Mark's Daily Apple and the very first post I read was about thyroid that I felt was kind of flippant. I decided to cut him some slack because even if he doesn't know everything, he still seems to know more about thyroid than my PCP.

Shelly, congratulations on the successful completion of a DD!

Thanks for the heads up about the canned shrimp and crab. I didn't realize they were so low cal. I think my issue would be the cocktail sauce I love too much to go with them. I have never checked the cal count though. I took a quick look and some are fairly low cal. I guess I'll have to do some label reading or find a recipe.

GrammyPat, I used to read Dana Carpender's blog all the time back in 2000 or so (were they "blogs" back then?). My favorite coleslaw recipe ever is from her. It isn't low calorie though because there is quite a bit of mayo in the dressing. I'll have to pasy a visit to her site again.

Redeemed, I look forward to hearing about the blueberry juice. I just love blueberries.

UD for me today. I have no plan at all but am going to the grocery store in a bit. Maybe taco salad.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #113
Senior LCF member

The cruise was a 'success' because I weighed this morning (couldn't resist) and am actually down a pound from the day I left--although my goal was just to maintain! And this also seems to indicate that JUDDD helps with carbs better than 'Atkins.' As most of you know, I eat primal and never more than 30g of carbs a day--no grains, dairy, or fruit. Near the end of the cruise, I had some ice cream, but other than that, I stayed with my low carb eating, although my calories were higher than I normally eat.

However, for some reason, on the flight home, I ate all the things I never do--I had wine with dinner, and Bailey's cream liquor after. Later, they served 'snacks,' and I had an ice cream cup, a brownie (to die for), and an apple. When I did standard low carb, eating like that would have caused me to balloon up with water weight, and one reason I weighed this morning is that I didn't feel any bloat at all, and I wanted to 'assess the damage.'

This is the third time that this has happened to me while on JUDDD. For some reason, the water weight gain that comes from indulging in carbs doesn't seem to happen with this plan. I'm not using this as license to eat off plan (today's a DD), but it's nice to know that an occasional indulgence won't be a shipwreak.

Not such good news for my cat. His numbers were still too high for the vet to rule out CRF (chronic renal failure), but we don't yet have a diagnosis. We go in two weeks for a blood test, and in the meantime, the vet suggested that I get him on "senior" food because it's easier on the kidneys.
He's only 6, but CRF can come at any time. If we get a diagnosis, I'll only keep him while I know he's comfortable and happy. He's such a lovable mush that I'll never let him suffer.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #114
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I'm not using this as license to eat off plan (today's a DD), but it's nice to know that an occasional indulgence won't be a shipwreak.
Since your vacations are usually cruises, that has a double benefit.

Congratulations on your victory over vacation gain! I hope to follow in your footsteps next week. I guess I am hoping it won't be an RV wreck.

I'm sorry about your cat. Pet illnesses are tough to deal with. They can't tell us where and how badly it hurts.

Last edited by GME; 07-20-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #115
Senior LCF member

Gina-

Where on Mark's website did you see that comment about thyroid? I obviously haven't been on there in a couple of weeks. Was it the forum or one of Mark's posts on the front page? I ask because there are a couple of people there with some weird ideas about 'curing' thyroid disease, but there are some solid folks, too. I haven't read anything from Mark directly, and I'd be interested if it was him.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #116
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

It was one of his posts on the front page... A Different Perspective on Hypothyroidism | Mark's Daily Apple

It seemed to have more to do with his stance on rx drugs (which I didn't read much about until I got the book yesterday). He talked about how "running a little slower" might not be a bad thing and certainly not something worth taking medication for.

I can't imagine who in the world without outrageous symptoms would be taking thyroid meds. It is hard enough to get them when you can barely get through your day.

Reading just the beginning of his book, he seems to place the blame on "chronic cardio" which first harms the adrenals and then the thyroid or insulin resistance which harms the liver where T4 is converted to T3 (I have never heard about the liver doing the conversion- not sure if that is even true).

Causation or correlation? People with dysfunctional thyroids are overweight. Overweight people diet. When diet alone doesn't work, we add exercise. Do the diets & exercise wreck the thyroid or does the wrecked thyroid cause you to diet & exercise?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #117
Senior LCF member

Thanks for the link, Gina. I read Mark's article, along with the comments (including yours), and many of you put him in his place.

Unfortunately, as you can see from some of those comments, there are a bunch of people there who believe that any disease can be cured by eating right!

It's impossible that 'chronic cardio' could cause Hashimoto's because I've been a couch potato most of my life And I also think that the gluten intolerance that often comes with Hashimoto's is part of the same complex problem. I never had a problem with grains until after I went hypo. But many of the primal folks would like to blame conventional diets for any and all illnesses.

I strongly suspect that the 'cause' of Mark's article was the fact that low carb eating can diminish T3 in otherwise healthy people, so he wanted to comfort his followers by pointing out that there's no problem with that. For healthy people, the lowering of T3 is so very minor that folks don't have any symptoms; it's just part of the regular metabolic slow down from eating less.

So in one way, he was right--i.e., if you don't have any symptoms, don't worry about your 'numbers.' But his ignorance shows because healthy people will be in range with their T3 numbers if they don't have symptoms, so unless they're fanatics who are being tested regularly and compare every test to the previous one, a healthy person who is eating primal (or low carb) won't notice any 'change' at all.

But there are many 'fanatics' on Mark's Daily Apple who track everything compulsively, and that may have been his target audience. That's why I rarely take too much on that board very seriously. I like his diet/exercise/rest approach, but I don't get too caught up in the other things.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Afternoon everyone, i came home early today from work to see my bf off. He is going to chicago on business and will be gone for a few days. I'm glad its an UD cuz i think having DD at home all day will be rough.

Good to see you back Leo and that everything went well. I'm anxious to get advise from you, especially since i am a lowcarber as well. I dont do primal, just my own thing really but keep my carbs under 20 usually.

It looks like my carbs are going to be about the same on UD and on DD, is this normal? My cals will change and the fat will change but the carbs wont much. On my UD i will be eating more fat and cals and more protein but will be eating about the same in veggies, i guess thats the reason. I dont have carbs much except from a few veggies and the cottage cheese i have in the morning. I havent put my totals in ****** for today yet but i had my cottage cheese this morning and my 2 egg omelet made with sausage and cheese. Lunch will be some braunswerger with tomato and mozzarella since im home and dinner will be a chicken breast with salad and some zucchini. I may have a snack, not sure yet, maybe some almonds or some chocolate coconut bark.

I couldnt believe the crab and shrimp were that low in cals either. They are lower then canned tuna, chicken or salmon. I think tomorrow i will take a can with me so i have it just in case i need it. Im not gonna eat it if i dont feel like i need to but it will be there.

I had a moment last night. It was weird. About 830 or so i got really lightheaded and kinda dizzy for a bit. I ended up going to bed. My tummy growled a little but that wasnt even really an issue, the dizziness was strange. I'm just guessing its from my body adjusting to not eating alot that day. I got up and had my usual 50 min workout. I was thinking i was going to be starving and was planning on eating a 100 cal pack of almonds before i started but didnt need to. I didnt even feel that hungry which was really strange. I had my cold with my protein during the workout adn then had my cottage cheese when i got to work like normal.

How do you get past the fear of eating too much of your UD? In a way i feel this need to eat everything...lol but im not really hungry yet but its like this feeling that "omg tomorrow is DD, i need to eat today". I'm not having a problem not doing it but the thought is still there. Do any of you experience that or will that dissipate once i have been doing this for a while?

Well, off to find something to eat, now it is that time...lol

Have a good day everyone and ill check back in later.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
It was one of his posts on the front page... A Different Perspective on Hypothyroidism | Mark's Daily Apple

It seemed to have more to do with his stance on rx drugs (which I didn't read much about until I got the book yesterday). He talked about how "running a little slower" might not be a bad thing and certainly not something worth taking medication for.

I can't imagine who in the world without outrageous symptoms would be taking thyroid meds. It is hard enough to get them when you can barely get through your day.

Reading just the beginning of his book, he seems to place the blame on "chronic cardio" which first harms the adrenals and then the thyroid or insulin resistance which harms the liver where T4 is converted to T3 (I have never heard about the liver doing the conversion- not sure if that is even true).

Causation or correlation? People with dysfunctional thyroids are overweight. Overweight people diet. When diet alone doesn't work, we add exercise. Do the diets & exercise wreck the thyroid or does the wrecked thyroid cause you to diet & exercise?

I came across an on-line body building website that discussed taking T3 for weight loss, best time to take it for weight loss, etc. They said you can get it from a particular country under a different name (which I won't promote). So, there is a lot of that going on in different circles. That's why I appreciate Pam always stressing the fact that we take thyroid meds to get healthy - not for the purpose of weight loss.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #120
Senior LCF member

Gina & Redeemed-
One of my doctors told me of a 'scandal' at our local hospital a few years back. It seems that a group of nurses was stealing thyroid meds to help them lose weight! No one in the group had any thyroid problems but had read that they'd help with weight loss. This doctor told me that it would be more likely to cause cardiac problems if people with working thyroids added hormones like that. One problem with the internet is that it can promote behaviors that are detrimental to a person's health via such 'advice.'

Shelly-
My carbs are almost always lower on DDs because I try to focus on protein as much as possible. For example, today I had a can of tuna (200 cal) with some low fat mayo (70 cal) and a T of psyllium (35 cal.). I ate half with my morning coffee and the rest about 4 pm with a cup of green tea.

A lot of folks here have had difficulty with UDs because they tend to think exactly as you describe--"I have to eat a lot today because I won't be able to tomorrow." That's never been a problem for me because I have to count so carefully in order to lose. MY UDs are only 1400-1600 cal, and they add up fast. I will usually have a much higher calorie day (about 2200) every month or so, and I find that helps to avoid burn out and also to confuse my body a little.