Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
054.gif Good morning everyone!

GrammyPat Congratulations on your successful DD's. How wonderful your breathing is improving already! Your Fourth picnic sounds like something I wouldn't pass up either. That's why I like JUDDD - we can do things like that every once in a while and still come out with a loss of weight for the week.

Gina It's so hot and humid here in MN. Now is the time I wish I was back in CA where I was born. I lived my childhood in Monterey. The neighborhood kids and I used to walk to the ocean to play before there were many houses on the dunes. I remember going to Big Sur for picnics. Almost 60 years ago Big Sur was very beautiful, and not the big tourist spot is is today.

JLP The first time around I used to eat between 250-400 on my DD's. I think what has kept me on plan for two months this time is that I try to get all of my 500 calories. I don't know if you read my earlier July thread about wanting to try an experiment of going to the 30 percent level of JUDD? That would make my DD's 711 and my UD's over 2300. I'm going to hold off on that for the moment because I'm only losing one or two pounds a week. So, I'll save the 711 DD's for days when I'm really hungry. How are you doing so far? Do you seem to be losing or feeling better?

Ouis A couple of times I have had to hunt through the threads for a recipe that you mentioned you made because I wanted to try it. Any chance we can get you to post a couple more of your recipes for DD's on our JUDDD recipe thread? The orange shake is one - and your thickner recipe. I'll post the pancake recipe there, as I think that is one people would really like for DD's.

Hope everyone has a great day. I miss Snaggle! I hope she is doing well.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-06-2010 at 03:29 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
hmmm redeemed--my thickner recipe? The one IN my orange shake? which is just glucomannan powder? Is there a different one I am not thinking of? Let me go post the orange shake (or any flavour really) recipe--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Didn't really fall off the planet. bumping to get back on, will explain later.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #34
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
GrammyPat, glad to hear about your asthma getting better. That seems like such a difficult thing to have.

Redeemed, this is a lovely time to be at the CA coast, that is for sure. Until a few years ago I lived in the Central Valley of CA where the summer weather is not nearly so nice. The relatives still live there so we get a good amount of company in the summertime. A batch of in-laws is coming Friday.

Ouis, you do eat interesting things. I'm going to have to try one of them sometime. I picked up a Biggest Loser booklet at the grocery store last night. It has some pretty good looking low cal dishes. They have "pizza" using and upside-down porabello mushroom cap as the crust. According to their recipe with LF cheese and turkey sausage, it is 170 cals. It looks good.

Nitenurse, good to see you.

UD for me today. My DD on the 4th didn't work out as well as I had hoped. The family had a big, late breakfast and I thought to myself... "Leo eats the majority of her calories early in the day. Maybe that would work for me." Let's just say it did not. I gave a DD another go yesterday and it went fine. I had a cheesestick and some carrots (150 or so cals) about 3:00 and then went to Applebees and had a shrimp dish marked 380 cals onthe menu. Close enough.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

nitenurse Welcome back. You were missed! Looking forward to your posts.

Ouis Thanks for the recipe.

Gina If you come across any recipes from your new book that you think we might like for our DD's, please post them on our JUDDD recipe thread.

Yesterday's DD was painful. I didn't plan; and before I left the house for work I grabbed a piece of toast and a frozen lasagne entree. I came just under 500 calories for the day, but it wasn't the way I like to eat. I have tomorrow's DD planned for lettuce wrap turkey/tomato/cucumber sandwiches with a little Spinblend. I should get four good-sized sandwiches. Along with my Dr. Zevia, tomorrow should go better.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-06-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Hi all,
thank you so much for your good wishes! Redeemed, what is Spinblend? and I agree with you - Ouis has some really good ideas for DD's! Today was an UD and I've clocked about 2500 calories total; not great but it's a start. I know I need to track my food on UD's as well as DD's, so we'll see how it goes. Major heatwave here: over 100 degrees in VA! You CA girls have it made! thank God for air conditioning!!!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

GrammyPat Spinblend is like mayo or Miracle Whip. However, I decided to have red pepper hummus spread on my lettuce wrap sandwiches instead of Spinblend or turkey. I'll add cucumbers, zuckes, tomatoes, onion and the red pepper hummus. I think that will be good. The hummas is 60 calories for an ounce. Good start on your UD - 2500 isn't a binge by my standards. You'll get into the swing of JUDDD in no time. Keep thinking how easier your breathing is becoming.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Redeemed,
Thanks for asking!
Initially I did lose some of my hangover (you know, that belly skin that hangs over when ya sit down) and my clothes have started to fit better.
I don't actually weigh myself, I threw the scale out years ago. And I do have more energy, at least a little.
My last 2 DD's have been way over calories, but still less than I normally eat on an UD. I have been working on limits on the LC UD's.
I won't be working for the next 3 weeks so I will have to concentrate on exercise since
those 12 hr. shifts in the hospital really help.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Redeemed,
I forgot to tell you congratulations on the 20 lbs!! That is great!
We may not lose really quickly, but slow and steady will keep it off in the long run.
My sister lost lot of weight doing At---- but steadily gained it all back and then some when she started eating "normally" again. I think this is the better alternative. We can splurge some so we don't feel deprived on our UD's (I still do LC on UD's since I don't want those carb cravings coming back).
Now a question, tell me about that bread that you mentioned that is LC. I miss sandwiches!
Also, I used to take a natural thyroid thing, which I wasn't sure if it worked or not.
Which is why I haven't taken it in quite some time. Now as I think back, maybe it did help a little. I am not clinically hypothyroid but I am on the low end of the normal range. Have you ever tried any of that stuff?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #40
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning all, DD for me today.

JLP, bread seems to be regional and I don't know where you are, but my son eats a Sara Lee bread with I think 5 or 6 carbs. It says something about 45 calories on the outside. I am gluten intolerant so I eat a sprouted wheat bread with 6 net carbs per slice. It is made by Alvarado St Bakery and it is flax meal and something. They have other breads but the flax one is the only on that is remotely LC.

About your thyroid- "low end of normal" is hypo for most people. Which test was it? If it was the most common test (TSH) it doesn't really tell much anyway. There is a thread at the top of the thyroid board with a lot of good information if you are having hypo symptoms.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Gina. I had TSH test. I don't remember the exact value but it was on the low end. The doctor said they don't use Synthroid unless the tests show low. However, the material that I have read about it says that if the doctors treat "subclinical hypothyroidism" like I have, many times it doesn't develop into full blown hypothryroidism. At the time I was sluggish and tired all the time.
I will read the thyroid thread.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

JLP I ordered Julian Bakery bread for 3 net carbs and 130 calories. It's very hearty and delicious. I agree with Gina and encourage you to check out the thyroid section here on LCF. There is a sticky thread at the top of their forum that has a lot of very good information - lots of reading but well worth the time. I was low borderline , but my doc treated me according to symptoms also. I'm glad you are liking JUDDD and your clothes are getting looser. I eat more carbs on UD's than most people on this thread I think; but I have a DD every other day that is very low carb.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Just FYI on the Julian Bakery products. Kathy from Netrition posted this last month.

Netrition has decided not to carry Julian Bakery low carb bread because we firmly believe their nutrition facts are incorrect. Based on the ingredients and the calorie count, their low carb bread should actually contain 13 net carbs per slice, not one net carb. Whether it is intentional on their part or not, we do not know, but our theory is that they mis-read their lab test and did not add the fiber grams into the total carb grams before they then subtracted the fiber grams out for a net carb count. So the "One Net Carb" bread total carbs should be 25 total carbs instead of 13 grams.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
Just FYI on the Julian Bakery products. Kathy from Netrition posted this last month.

Netrition has decided not to carry Julian Bakery low carb bread because we firmly believe their nutrition facts are incorrect. Based on the ingredients and the calorie count, their low carb bread should actually contain 13 net carbs per slice, not one net carb. Whether it is intentional on their part or not, we do not know, but our theory is that they mis-read their lab test and did not add the fiber grams into the total carb grams before they then subtracted the fiber grams out for a net carb count. So the "One Net Carb" bread total carbs should be 25 total carbs instead of 13 grams.

Yikes! That's a bummer! I just ordered three loaves. However, it does say something about the integrity of Netrition. Thanks for the info, Minnas!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Good info. Thanks Minnas!
Arnold's makes a LC bread but it is hard to find. It tastes good but it's light so I want to eat several slices. That's why I try to stay away from bread as much as possible but in the summer sometimes only a sandwich will do.
I have tried making my own but haven't found a recipe that actually works very well.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Will look for Jennifer Eloff's bread recipe and post it later.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-08-2010 at 06:06 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #47
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Well I woke up to an annoyance today. I weigh everyday, but only "count" and post my weight on Saturday. I weighed this morning (after yesterday's DD) and was UP 2 lbs. I know its probably water and I didn't eat an extra 7000 calories and all that stuff I would tell anyone else posting the same thing. But still....

I got some of those big portabello mushrooms yesterday and am planning to make "pizza" with them tonight. If it works out I'll post the recipe. I bought some turkey Italian sausage to put on them. Lower calorie and higher iron that the regular pork kind without actaully having to be "low fat." I also bought low fat peperoni for the calorie savings. I'm not sure how I feel about that. We'll see how they taste.

I am off to get my iron and other anemia tests done this morning. I am taking my son (17) with me to have his done too because he frequently complains of being tired when he really shouldn't be. As soon as I googled "teen fatigue" anemia came up (along with too much Facebook and late night TV- which aren't his issues). We have been telling his current doctor this for a couple of years and another doctor before that. Why hasn't he been tested before? Between this, my thyroid, and some other stuff my family has gone through, I am really starting to lose faith in the medical community in general.

Speaking of my son, I am now the parent of a lisenced driver. Clear the roads! Maybe these 2 lbs are a stress reaction.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gina I have read where others say their weight loss does not show up after a DD but after the following UD if calorie guidelines are followed. When this thread was in its beginning stages, I remember those kinds of posts. The scale can fluctuate 4-6 pounds between weekly weigh-ins for some peeps. What's encouraging for me is I haven't seen any posts where people stall except for some with thyroid issues. But for most of us "hypos" (who are optimally medicated with meds that are right for us) we seem to have a consistent loss. Leo hasn't had a stall in over 18 months since starting JUDDD. Also , I've been there with the driver's license ordeal. I think I can understand how you feel.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-08-2010 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Bread recipes

Hey ladies, post 'em when you get them....I'm looking for a LC bread too; it is the one thing I really miss. UD today and am going to a Tastefully Simple night at a friend's house to see what it is all about. Redeemed, I agree with you about Netrition's integrity! You don't see it very often in business these days, but it sure is nice when you do! also, what are some of your UD menus? maybe I can get some ideas especially since I need to start counting calories.

Gina, your son is lucky to have such a cool Mom with a great sense of humor! "everyone get off the roads" About that 2 lbs: I remember someone here saying something about what is left in your colon from the day before; there's a lot of waste in there with liquid....are you getting enough fiber? as much as you run, I can't imagine where it came from but it'll probably disappear as fast as it came.....
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

428270sh42acnblr.gif Good morning everyone!

Grammy Pat Here's a link from LCF where people talk about their meal plans: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...meal-plan.html I didn't know if you are doing low carb or not. Batlou had a good post at the bottom of that thread explaining his calorie counting system.

DD today. Have been a little lazy in counting calories on my past couple of UD's but I don't think I have overeaten. I need to get back on track and count, because those calories add up in no time. I have been reading the beginning JUDDD threads and JUDDD Tweaker threads from about a year and a half ago. Would love to hear from some of the posters who are still doing JUDDD. There is some interesting reading on those threads.

Have a great day JUDDDing everyone!!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #51
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I had my UD yesterday and got back on the scale this morning (I always weigh everyday) and I am EXACTLY the same as yesterday. Not normal, I am usually up after an up day so that is good, but still high overall. It is going to take some JUDDD magic to squeak a loss out of this week. I know many advise not weighing everyday, but I like knowing my patterns and how different things affect me.

I tried the mushroom crust pizza last night. It was meh, but I am tweaking a bit. The recipe said to put all the ingredients on the mushroom raw and just to cook it long enough to melt the cheese (6-8 minutes). That didn't look good so I left it in quite a bit longer. Still felt like I was eating a big gob of raw mushroom and portabellos are hard to bite through.

After dinner I had a plain, raw mushroom left so I sliced off a bit of the top (that had been tough to bite through on the others) and baked it for 45 min. I'll try topping it today and keep you posted. I wonder if using several larger button mushrooms would work better.

The calorie count wasn't bad. 200 total and I had turkey peperoni and sausage on it. The majority of the cals came from mozzerella (80) and I don't know if that comes in LF or not. I just used what we already had. You could do a lot of different veggie topping options for very few cals. I hope the prebaked mushroom is better. If all works out, I'll post on the recipe thread.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gina Do you ever do egg fasts for DD's? If today is your last DD for the week, maybe having omlette's today would help eek out a loss for the week. That's what I'm doing today. I would suspect that if you weighed the same after an UD as you you did on your last DD, you will have a loss very soon. Even if it's not this week - you should see a loss in the early part of next week. Have you tried cleochatra's (sp?) zucchini pizza crust? It looks deliciouis, but I would use low fat cheese with it to bring down the calorie count. One large baby zucchini is 3 calories. I see some good zucchini recipes using zuc's for breakfast and noodles for lasagne. I sliced a zucchini length-wise and it made a great filler for my veggie lettuce wrap sandwiches. Zucchini

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-09-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Here's a zucchini recipe that really got my attention. She doesn't say, but I'm sure this is fried. I think this would make a great DD meal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykneesareback View Post
I eat one zuchinni every day, cut it up, add mushrooms and about a cup of leftover other veggie from dinner, such as cauliflower or brussel sprouts, add flaxmeal and huge dollop of minced garlic. Add 1/2 cup egg substitute or 1/2 cup egg whites. Hot salt and grated parmasan. I've been eating that for breakfast for several years, keeps me FULL and it's alot of food, so you can last until lunch time very nicely. I don't count carbs however, I count calories.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-09-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #54
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Gina Do you ever do egg fasts for DD's? If today is your last DD for the week, maybe having omlette's today would help eek out a loss for the week. That's what I'm doing today. I would suspect that if you weighed the same after an UD as you you did on your last DD, you will have a loss very soon. Even if it's not this week - you should see a loss in the early part of next week. Have you tried cleochatra's (sp?) zucchini pizza crust? It looks deliciouis, but I would use low fat cheese with it to bring down the calorie count. One large baby zucchini is 3 calories. I see some good zucchini recipes using zuc's for breakfast and noodles for lasagne. I sliced a zucchini length-wise and it made a great filler for my veggie lettuce wrap sandwiches. Zucchini
I haven't tried the zucchini crust, but I make lasagna with her cauli mixture. I like it a lot, but it requires preparation and forethought. I'm looking for a quick & easy option. I wonder if I could scoop the insides out of a zucchini and out the pizza stuff in there.

I can't hardly bring myself to buy one in the store. We used to live in a very HOT place and they grew like weeds. A couple of plants could keep the neighborhood supplied. My big ol' lab used to love the ones that got too big to eat. He would carry them around and gnaw on them. We had zuke plants sprouting everywhere. They grow OK here, but I didn't put a garden in this year.

I have tried egg days and they do seem to work. I haven't planned anything for the day yet, maybe I'll give that a go. I know in the long run it doesn't matter if I see a loss on Saturday, or Tuesday or not at all until next week, but I like to see the weekly downward trend.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I haven't tried the zucchini crust, but I make lasagna with her cauli mixture. I like it a lot, but it requires preparation and forethought. I'm looking for a quick & easy option. I wonder if I could scoop the insides out of a zucchini and out the pizza stuff in there.
I can't hardly bring myself to buy one in the store. We used to live in a very HOT place and they grew like weeds. A couple of plants could keep the neighborhood supplied. My big ol' lab used to love the ones that got too big to eat. He would carry them around and gnaw on them. We had zuke plants sprouting everywhere. They grow OK here, but I didn't put a garden in this year.

I have tried egg days and they do seem to work. I haven't planned anything for the day yet, maybe I'll give that a go. I know in the long run it doesn't matter if I see a loss on Saturday, or Tuesday or not at all until next week, but I like to see the weekly downward trend.
Now, that sounds interesting! Zucchini pizza pockets (or burritos ). I suppose you could bake tham to get the zuc shell soft - or maybe not. Either way sounds good.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #56
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Now, that sounds interesting! Zucchini pizza pockets (or burritos ). I suppose you could bake tham to get the zuc shell soft - or maybe not. Either way sounds good.
My aunt used to make stuffed zucchinni when I was a kid. I think she used bread crumbs in the filling though to soak up the liquid the zuke would release. I wonder if I could poke holes in the bottom and put it on a rack to let the liquid drain. Hmmm. I think I am going to have to break down and pay money for zucchinni. I hope none of my old neighbors hear about this.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
Hey ladies, post 'em when you get them....I'm looking for a LC bread too; it is the one thing I really miss. UD today and am going to a Tastefully Simple night at a friend's house to see what it is all about. Redeemed, I agree with you about Netrition's integrity! You don't see it very often in business these days, but it sure is nice when you do! also, what are some of your UD menus? maybe I can get some ideas especially since I need to start counting calories.

Gina, your son is lucky to have such a cool Mom with a great sense of humor! "everyone get off the roads" About that 2 lbs: I remember someone here saying something about what is left in your colon from the day before; there's a lot of waste in there with liquid....are you getting enough fiber? as much as you run, I can't imagine where it came from but it'll probably disappear as fast as it came.....
Good Bread Recipe
Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

weekly weigh in

Good morning JUDDDers! I feel like I've been handed a present this morning - down three pounds! JUDDD works so well for me when I stay on plan. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #59
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Redeemed, 3 lbs is like a present!

I did manage to squeak a loss out of this week. I'm down 1.2 lbs I was getting worried becasue I was UP a couple of pounds after my last DD.

Thanks you everyone for the reassuring words. I know it seems silly, but a weight-loss stall & then gains were the first signs of my impending thyroid tank. It went on for months while I told myself I was retaining water, eating too much AS, too few calories, shouldn't add fruit yet, too few carbs, too many carbs, too little fat... I got all kids of well-meaning advice from other posters here at LCF when really I just needed my thyroid treated. So now I weigh everyday (and at night) and have become pretty familiar with my patterns.

It is frustrating to see people post about their stalls. If an obese person is restricting their eating and they aren't losing, something is wrong. People try to give advice, but sometimes its just . "You have 100 pounds to lose ate three grapes last week!? Well, no wonder you are stalled." Whenever I come across those threads I tell people to check their thyroid. Sometimes people are resistant and one or two have been almost hostile. I know not everyone has a thyroid problem because I do, but jeez, check it out before you start beating your head against a wall in frustration.

///end of today's rant.

My DD went well yesterday. I stayed busy with chores and errands and saved my cals for dinner. I found some new chicken burger patties from Costco yesterday. They are called Barber Foods Chicken Grillables and they were in the freezer cases near the regular hamburgers and fish. They are 130 cals, 2 carbs (1 net, they have spices & a little sugar) and 22 gms of protein. They were pretty tasty. I BBQ'd two with the family's burgers and had 6 shrimp, one slice of cheese, a few SF pickles and some cantelope for 450 cals. It was tasty and I was full.

UD today and I think I'll make cauli-lasagna for dinner. I'll top that mushroom and see how it turns out.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #60
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh yeah, I also bough some ground flax at Costco. I have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions?