Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Grammy--we missed you--welcome back--I guess all that SRT1 gene stuff is right! You sound like you really need JUDDD for quality of life--find ways to make your DD's enjoyable--that has been key for me--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #242
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi GrammyPat! It's good to have you back.

I second Ouis's suggestion about making your DD's enjoyable. Since I have to be careful with low fat these days, I bought myself a big bag of shrimp (which I love) to enjoy. They are very low calorie, and I can easily have them on a DD.

Another thing you might try should you wake and just not be able to bear a DD--decide to make it a MD, or even an UD, and then go back to your alternation the next day. You may have read my post where I mentioned that having not been doing DDs since my hospitalization, I really miss them and am looking forward to doing 3 this week.

I think I'm actually afraid to get too far from JUDDD (your gain is an example of what would happen to me), but I'm also finding that by giving myself 'treats' every once in a while (like my shrimp or some lobster), it really helps keeping 'burn out' away.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Hi Everyone. My computer is very slow and there are times I cannot get on line. Sometimes when I do get on line I get a time out prompt and lose connection. Someone is coming out to the house (hopefully today) to repair an outside connection.

GrammyPat I'm so glad you are back! I missed your posts and always appreciated your encouragement. I gained 20 pounds during my 1400 calorie a day experiment. So, I came back to JUDDD because I knew I would succeed in getting the weight off, and still manage to eat some of my favorite foods. The flexibility of the plan also drew me back. Here's wishing you success!

Yesterday was a DD. I brought left over green bean soup and hard boiled eggs to work (12 hour shift) and didn't eat them. I waited until 7:30 pm and had an Asian Chicken Crunch salad from Applebees. This was on their menu for under 550 calories. The salad was very good but didn't seem like it was anywhere near 500 or 550 calories. I really did enjoy waiting to eat a big salad for dinner.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #244
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
Yes, you can get more food with fewer calories from your own kitchen. I'm not sure why, but restaurant meals are very high calorie, so the 500 cal meals would be skimpy.

I'm feeling 'precarious' with my current low fat/low carb eating because I so want to eat more. It's not even that I'm hungry but that the food isn't as satisfying without a little fat. And I never ate high fat at all. I know I can raise my carbs a little, but I'm very carb-phobic. Today is a DD, so I won't worry about eating more until tomorrow.

This morning I was going to my primary for a regular visit (every 4 mos), so I stepped on the scale when I got up (I like to check mine for accuracy by weighing on a day when I'm visiting the doctor). I was 172 which is OK (started the month at 174), but when the nurse weighed me, and it was also 172 (after eating breakfast!), she said, "I'll just put down 170 because you have clothes on." I doubt that my clothes weigh 2 lbs (I had my shoes off), but I'll take it
Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

I'm having a great UD so far - everything measured. I have about 400 calories left for the day. The computer technician came out and didn't charge us anything. I think for tomorrow's DD I'm going to have my ground beef, cabbage and onions over a bed of salad greens. I have gotten into the habit of drinking Dr. Zevia over ice on DD's. So far, I haven't noticed anything negative from it. In fact, for me, it really helps me get through a DD.

Leo That nurse has a fuzzy way of taking weights. I'd like to find a nurse like her; I wonder if I could talk someone like her into reducing recorded weight related to having "heavy bones".
Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Good DD Today

Thank you Ouis and Leo and Redeemed for the warm welcome! I'm open to any and all ideas about how to make DD's more fun! Today was good in large part because I'm motivated by the fact I struggle to breathe. I know if I can have 2 weeks worth of good DD's, my breathing will greatly improve and I'll feel tons better.

Today's DD menu: 3 egg whites (45), 1 FF hot dog (40) 1.5 tbs SF ketchup (15), 2 cups chicken broth (Leo style-20 cal), 1 low carb tortilla (81), 1 slice turkey (50) w/mustard and SF pickle relish and then dinner: 1 slice ham (80), 1 Laughing Cow cheese wedge (35), 1 LC tortilla (81), 1 cup chicken broth (10) and for dessert, 1 cup coffee with 1 tbl SF vanilla/caramel creamer for a grand total of 456!

I bought some oat bran to use because Ouis uses it but I can't think of what to put it in except for Minute Muffins! Well, I know I had a good DD because I spent much of it making trips to the Ladies Room! Thanks again ladies; you make me feel so good!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #247
Senior LCF member

GrammyPat-
You don't seem to have any problem making delicious DD menus! I think it's great that JUDDD will help your breathing. If you just keep that in mind, it should make DDs easier to handle. I know that personally I've become more interested in eating healthily than in just weight loss.

Yesterday I did my first DD after about 10 days (although I was eating low carb/low calorie during that time), and it felt great. There's something about the DD 'feeling' that I find very satisfying--although there are some DDs that are "white knuckle" all the way. I can manage those days because overall, I truly like this plan, and it seems good for me physically.

So anytime a DD gets 'rough,' just keep reminding yourself how much this will help your breathing.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

_2096035a0fsxt0umn.gif Good morning everyone!

Yesterday's UD went well. It's interesting how I wake up hungry after an UD; and I wake up not hungry after a DD. It isn't psychological either. It's an actual physical feeling. Today's DD meal is all planned out. I also have tomorrow's UD meals planned. I have learned from my past failure with JUDDD to:
1) Plan, plan, plan
2) No mindless eating
Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #249
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
GrammyPat, good to see you Back. Your DD food really does sound good. My DD menus are pretty boring, but I think I am better off that way. I just try not to think about food on DDs.

Redeemed, I wake up hungrier after an UD too. Yesterday was a DD for me and I was a little hungry when I went to bed last night so I lulled myself to sleep thinking about breakfast this morning. When I woke up I totally wasn't hungry anymore and was up for about an hour before I even realized it is an UD. I just didn't feel like eating yet.

Leo, I'm gald your DD felt great to you. I get through them, but I can't say the feel "great." I want to be like Leo when I grow up.

I weighed Saturday, but then ran out the door to go camping so didn't post. I was down two pounds for the week, but I am still over my all-time low. I don't remember if I posted about it or not (I probably did, I tend to be a blabbermouth) but my thyroid tanked on me in mid-May for some reason and I gained 10 lbs. It had been coming back off verrrryyyyy slowly until I saw my thyroid doc and he upped my meds a little. I think that probably explains the 2 lbs last week versus my usual 1 lb loss.

I agree with Leo about sometimes just abandoning a DD. I have done it several times and just make it a MD or another UD. The following DD is usually easy-peasy-lemon-squuezey for some reason.

I had planned a DD for Sunday, but I was just really hungry. We did a lot of hiking and climbing up and down the cliffs at Big Sur so it was probably the activity. We ate everything we brought (all I had was DD food for Sunday) and then went out for lunch at a really cool restaurant on a cliff over the ocean. I moved my DD to yesterday and it was fine.

I'm off to my folks tonight to pick up my kids that have been enjoying grandma & grandpa time. I am looking forward to seeing them, but not looking forward to the projected 102 degrees they are forcasting for my hometown. We moved to the coast a few years ago and I have gotten soft.

Things are really different around here without kids. I love them and I'm not ready for them to go yet, but I think I will enjoy the "empty nest" when the time comes. DH started low carbing in January and day to day food just seems like fuel now. We still put effort into a couple of meals here and there and enjoy going out sometimes, but for the most part we just eat to stop being hungry. Lower grocery bills, less mess and more time to do other things.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #250
Senior LCF member

Congratulations on the 2 lbs down Gina! As you may remember, I had the same experience when my T3 tanked. The meds banished the fatigue almost immediately, but those 10 lbs had to be lost the same SLOW way as all my other weight. Not fair! The hormones put on weight but don't take it away as fast

This 'hunger' after an UD may be related to stomach size. When I was hospitalized recently with no food or water for 24 hrs, I had an abdominal ultrasound, and when the doctor was describing what they found, he mentioned, "We couldn't see the stomach because it had collapsed [from lack of food/drink]."

I know it's not the same as a total fast, but perhaps the low volume of food on DDs (I don't go for volume but for protein) shrinks the stomach a little, so it doesn't make us as 'hungry' as the expanded stomach of an UD? Thus, the expanded stomach of an UD will result in hunger on the morning of the following day, usually a DD.

I know that I've frequently felt hungry on a DD morning, but after my miniscule breakfast and gallons of black coffee, I'm usually not hungry for hours. There isn't enough in terms of food to satisfy that hunger, but all that coffee would fill my stomach.

This is only a supposition, but if it's true, it would mean that hunger on the morning of a DD is no reason to abandon the plan but having some very low calorie volume will be satisfying enough to continue with the DD.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Ouis,
How do you use the oat bran? I bought oat fiber and haven't opened it yet since I am not sure how to use it. I tried poly D, which I thought was a thickener, but it didn't seem to do anything. Not sure what to do with it either.
Anyone have suggestions?
I do use guar in most of my drinks since I am finding that the slight thickness is so much more satifying to me. I wonder if one can OD on guar? LOL
I am afraid to start making LC "treats" again, since that was part of my downfall. I have no willpower and end up eating everything in a day or two.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Hi everyone....remember me? Just thought I would stop in and say hello. I read your posts everyday and miss you all, but JUDDING just didn't seem to work for me (tended toward bingeing (sp?) on UD).

Leo....I actually cried when I read you were in a size 14 bathing suit! Being in my 60's also and overweight my entire life, I could feel that moment of victory right along with you! You are still my inspiration, that no matter how slowly this weight comes off, it will eventually add up to reaching my goal.

Redeemed and Grammy Pat and Gina....glad to see you back at it and that it's working for you.

Ouis...love to read all the delicious food you eat and the tweaks to JUDD. I think it's great how everyone seems to do the program to suit their own bodies.

Kisha....I'm following you on your journal and just SOOOO happy for you that you have found something that seems to really be working and that you feel so great!

Hi to all the newcomers too who don't know me. This is such a great supportive group and I wish you well with JUDD.

About me...I'm still doing WW, but I think more importantly I've been posting on the Daily Weigher Thread here and that is helping me stay so much more accountable in between the WW weigh-ins. I'm one of those who's on the scale first thing morning and last thing at night anyway so it fits right into my schedule. I have found that making monthly goals for myself has also been useful and pleased with my slow but steady progress! Although I've lost 21.3lb since 4/26, 10 of it was that first week and it's been a struggle ever since. I've really stepped up my water aerobics and water walking though and feeling good and positive about myself. Have dropped two pant sizes and that's always motivating!!

My best wishes to you all, and will continue to lurk here probably forever....something about JUDD that just fascinates me and maybe one day I will try it again. Happy 4th of July to you all and enjoy all the beautiful weather.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #253
Senior LCF member

Hi Sherrie!

It's so good to hear from you! And it's great to know that you've found something that's working better for you. As I've frequently posted, there is no way that I would be doing JUDDD if anything else really worked for me.

It's also nice that we can share our victories because only those of us who have been so overweight all our lives can truly know what a 'victory' it is to shed pounds.

We also share an interest in the healing power of that water--exercising in water is fantastic because the resistance of the water is the equivalent of using weights but it's all so apparently effortless. I really love it, although I'm not in a class, and it can get lonely doing my program alone--but I do it faithfully because it has helped my knees so much.

Keep dropping in to let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Sherrie--nice to see you--congrats on all the weight loss!

JLP--I use only oat fiber, not oat bran--did I mistakenly type oat bran! Boo Me! I use the oat fiber as a microwaveable "flour" sub. it doesn't work all that well in other preps. I use it for a One Minute Muffin--with appropriate flavourings and sweetners it makes a respectable muffin with very few calories

I was in calistoga at the mineral springs for the last couple of days with my daughter---I am home now, sunburned, and a bit carbed up I am afraid! Nothing JUDDD won't take care of however
Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sherrie!

Congratulations on your weight loss. I, too, lost 10 pounds the first week. My progress since is slow, but that goes with the age-territory I guess. Glad you are still with us.

Today I really ate off plan. I told myself I was genuinely hungry and was going to eat. I didn't binge, but I ate alot and didn't keep track of the calories. So, if I don't have a weight loss on Sunday, I'll know why.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #256
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Sherrie, Congratulations on your success with WW.

Leo, I really wish I had somewhere convienient to swim. I enjoy it and it is such good exercise. A couple of years ago we put an offer in on a foreclosure that had a heated lap pool. It had a dead lizard floating in it, but I could see the potential. Sadly, we got outbid. I do have easy access to the ocean, but when you get in there you hop right off the top of the food chain. That and it is about 55-59 degrees all the time. Brrr

Pretty decent DD for me today. I was at my mom's about half the day so it was tough to count, but I think I came in about 600-650. I'll take it.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #257
Senior LCF member

Gina-

When I moved here 15 years ago, I planned to swim at the school where I taught--but that wound up being inconvenient because it was only available at noon--and that was a particularly busy time for me. What I didn't know is that there's a Y 5 min. from my house--but I soon discovered it, and I've been swimming there ever since. It's now a "community fitness facility" (the YMCA is apparently getting out of the business of fitness), but the 125 meter heated pool is so great to have. I also have a bad back (from my arthritis), and when I swim regularly, I have absolutely no problems with my back.

I had a 'different' DD yesterday. As usual, I was hungry in the morning, so after about 300 cal., I stopped for the rest of the day (tea only). I may continue doing this, as I've heard that the longer fast is good for the body. Mine wound up being 20 hrs with no food at all.

It's too bad that I leave for my cruise on Saturday morning because I'd like to experiment with this a little longer, but I fully intend to try it again when I return. I doubt that 20-hr. fasts will be possible during this cruise, but I plan to maintain and NOT GAIN.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
DD #2 yesterday

Hey good morning ladies,

I finished my 2nd DD yesterday and like someone said earlier, I'm not hungry this morning. that's important because I'm going to start eating only when I'm hungry and not based on the time of day.

Tried something different for dinner: 1 pkg tofu shirataki noodles (well rinsed and dried-40 cals) in a skillet with .5 oz. ham (40 cals), .5 oz chicken (40 cals), 1 laughing cow wedge (35), 2 tsps. regular Parmesan cheese (20), salt and pepper. It was not bad for 175 cals, and it was filling. Coffee with SF vanilla/caramel creamer (30) and the whole thing = 205. I think for me if I can build in good flavors on my UD's and DD's, I will feel more satisfied. And I'm looking at this like quitting smoking: it took me 4 tries to get it right but I stay off cigarettes again, like Leo said, because all I could think about everytime I wanted one, was how I could not breathe! We've had a break in the heatwave here in Richmond, VA. That plus my DD's and I'm starting to feel so much better.

Redeemed, great job on planning your UD's....I need to start doing that! I notice for me, my UD's are not so out of control. I've seen how I feel after a day of carbing out and it makes me struggle to breathe, so now I'm trying to keep my UD's not so bingey but a lot more controlled with less carbs.

Thanks for the welcome Gina and Sherrie - It's nice to know I'm not the only one who sometimes really does not look forward to a DD; and Sherrie, I'm so happy for you that WW is working out and you're losing weight. This weight loss journey is a lot of work. But like Bill used to say "we can do hard things". Hugs everyone
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

The July thread for JUDDD is up everyone.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do think for me the key to DDs is making delicious, practically zero calorie foods: I made a 75 calorie pumpkin-maple OMM for breakfast, Thai coconut shirataki noodles for lunch (25 cals???) and an orange glucomannan shake for a snack (10 cals?) and am going out for dinner and will have salad and fish. Of course I do use frankenfoods and I love to be creative with them, so it is a hobby with me!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Ouis,
Can you give me a recipe for your OMM using oat fiber? Also looking again for your
low fat one using pumpkin.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

absolutely J! I mix 2 Tbs oatfiber, 2 Tbs erythritol (you can use any sweetener--mine is brown sugar erythritol that I make), if you want you can also add a little flaxmeal, but I only do that on UDs, 1 tsp baking powder, pumpkin pie spice--and 2 Tbs protein powder --and I blend those flours--then I add 1/3 C eggbeaters, 2 Tbs pumpkin puree, and davinci's or walden farms pancake syrup--2 tbs. blend and nuke for 1-2 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave. I make a little blend of sf syrup and brown sugar erythritol to pour on top when it is done--I figure 50 calories or so without the protein powder and probably less than 100 with the protein powder. You can experiment with extracts to make a lot of different flavours--sometimes I will add chia gel or glucomannan gel if I want a nonpumpkin kind of flavour--it is a fun little cake to make--
Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Ouiz!! I am going to try that recipe since I miss something bread-like every once in a while.