Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi all, just checking in. Struggled with my down day today and probably ended up over
500 cal. I am done though and will try and keep tomorrow at a "moderate Up". I just cannot seem to get in the groove of juddding lately and I SO want to be. I hope it will click soon.

Leo- that is so awesome about the swimsuit. yippee for you!

I also feel the same about photos. I just die when I see the pics of me 50 lbs ago and am cannot believe that I let it get so out of hand.

Thanks to all of you for your great posts and food ideas.
I need to test out some various low cal soups.
Let's all have a great juddd (or whatever plan you do) week!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #122
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi Snaggle-
One of the things I fear is "getting out" of the JUDDD routine and not being able to get back in! When I was away last week, I was concerned that I'd like my 'normal' low calorie days too much to get back to a DD when I returned. JUDDD has been so good to me that I want to continue with it, even to maintain, but it really requires a lot of attention. However, I think maintaining in general will require attention because it's oh so easy to gain Good luck with getting back into the routine.

Redeemed-
I'm certainly no expert at diabetes, but from what I read of Jenny's posts (BloodSugar 101), the only way to tell whether a specific food (e.g., bread) will raise your BG is to test right after eating (I think it's 2 hrs, but I'm not sure). Apparently, the body's metabolism is too complex to judge the effect much later.

Jenny has reported that some foods that are usually considered off limits to diabetics don't affect her--but others that are considered benign are a problem. It seems to be a YMMV situation. My own sister who is a type 2 reports the same thing with varied foods.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Snaggle--I understand completely about falling "out" with JUDDD. I think it is about reinforcement for me--if the scale went down consistently it would be easier to stick with DD's.

One thing I am trying to do right now is have DD-"like" days--where the food I eat during the day is ultra low calorie--with a good dinner at night--but I know I am coming in over 500 calories on those days--I was having such a hard time with dizziness and lightheadedness on my DD's--I really need my head to work at my job!!!! I love JUDDD and hope to get back to it as written, but for now I am doing "faux" JUDDD. I am also increasing my exercise--which has always been intense--by adding weight training--which doesn't seem to be JUDDD friendly. I keep hanging out here because I love the wisdom of this community and I feel like I am following juddd principles to some extent--but I am def. tweaking the program as written right now. Hang in there--and we can all enjoy watching Leo's progress!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #124
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
The intense exercise may be why you found DDs so difficult. I only swim and exercise on UDs, even though my work out is hardly 'intense,' and I would imagine that any intense exercise on DDs would be debilitating.

When I was away last week, I found that keeping my calories low (c.1000-1200) with protein and low to moderate fat (and, of course, low carb) really worked for me. However, I think that trying to do maintenance on the low calorie level that I need on a daily basis would result in burn out. That's why I hope to maintain for a while on JUDDD by raising my DD calorie level.

This will be another screwed up week because I have a dinner on Friday, which is normally a DD. So I plan on Wed-DD; Thurs.-MD; Fri-UD, Sat. DD, and my normal Saturday weigh in will be delayed until Sunday. I'm sure I will be totally confused because Saturday is usually a 'splurge' day for me, and doing it as a DD (as I've done occasionally) is really discombobulating
Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
593568p887g2dyd0.gif

I had my blood draw at 7:30 a.m. I asked the lab tech if I had very high carb meals yesterday if it would show up in today's test. She said "It depends on how well your body processes sugar." Anyway, afterward I stopped to see my son and had a cup of coffee with him. When I came home I already had the results e-mailed to me by my doctor via MyChart. My A1C is 5.9 (4.1 - 6.4) with a comment from my doctor that this is normal. My fasting glucose was 107 which is slightly elevated. Now, I hope they don't try to bill me for my first test that said my fasting glucose was 120, because I know that was a mistake.

Snaggle I found out the last time I did JUDDD that no matter how well I did with Down Days, I would gain if my Up Days were not under control. I didn't feel like doing the DD that was on my plan today, so will give myself an UD. If I don't get back on plan tomorrow, I'll be in trouble with the scale on weigh in day. I'm hoping this extra UD will not stall me.

I love JUDDD this time around. I think it's because it's easier now that I'm working days. I also try to stay as close to 500 calories on DD's as possible. That gives me a nice sized meal to look forward to when I'm home. When working, I have to space out my calories. I have it in the back of my mind to remember Ouis's shake one of these days.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-15-2010 at 07:45 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Ouis, I do not know what your exercise routine is, but I know that when I was losing with Juddd, it never affected mine. I do some fairly intense weights a couple of times a week, but only 1/2 hr. at a time. I alternate that with H.I.I.T. cardio ( high intensity interval training)and then spinning once a week for an hour. I have found that working out 4 days a week in this way got me into better shape than my old style which was for longer periods at a level intensity. Between vacation, being sick, then two weekends away, I have not been on my routine and I really feel a difference. Yesterday I went to an hr. long total body condit. class and felt way out of shape.
My goal for today (up day) is to stay low carb, in control and to do a cardio workout tonight.
Redeemed-- glad to see that your level is pretty much back to normal.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Snag--I belong to a social group that is centered around fitness--we work out with a trainer 3 days a week, we do weight training at the gym 2-3 days a week, and we do mountain hikes or biking on the weekends--so a lot of calories get burned. No chronic cardio--more HITT than that--I am also hypothyroid which doesn't like a lot of intense exercise--but backing off cuts me off from other aspects of the experience that I enjoy--so I just try and stay mindful. you would think I would be skinny as a rail
Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #128
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
With that level of exercise, you should be able to do DDs of 700-900 cal with success. I think somewhere in his book, Dr. J writes about adding DD calories if a person works out beyond the standard level (like mine which is very, very mild).

I agree with Snaggle that both my DDs and UDs have to be 'in control' in order for me to lose at all.

I must admit that I really love Primal eating. With so many good things to choose from, I don't miss anything at all. This morning, I stopped at the supermarket to order a birthday cake for my sister (terrific in-house bakery), and I bought a pound of frozen jumbo shrimp to treat myself some day soon.

There's a thread on the ML about "What do you miss most" in terms of non-low carb food, and I think that's a terrible thing to dwell on--the sure path to 'cheats.' I really prefer to focus on the things that I enjoy and that are healthy for me.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis I know what you mean about, "You would think I would be skinny as a rail." Back in 1996, I had a job in a nursing home as a Med/Treatment Nurse. This job had 11 hour shifts. So for 11 hours a day I would push a med cart up and down the isles of the nursing home giving meds and doing treatments. All meds and Tx were timed, so I had to move fast. I did this for several months and never lost a pound even though I was dieting at the time. I think my thyroid was low functioning for many years before being properly diagnosed. I also lose better with light exercise. I think it's more of an adrenal fatigue issue with me.

Well, I'm glad my two Up Days are over. I look forward to cutting back tomorrow and eating light.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-15-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #130
Senior LCF member

Another DD today! I've already had about 150 cal with two of my egg white 'omelets' this morning, one with a T of psyllium added.

I continue to be a morning eater, and that amount usually will hold me until at least 3 pm.

It just occurred to me that JUDDD provides a great way to maintain because I'm so used to my low calorie DDs that should I find myself gaining a couple of pounds [horrors!], it shouldn't be a problem to go back to these low-calorie DDs for a week or so.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

19_trein.gif Mornin' Juddders!

DD here also, Leo. Hope your DD goes well. Another 14 hour shift, so I have eggs boiling. It seems to work well, for now anyway. Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #132
Senior LCF member

Although you might find a 14-hour shift grueling, Redeemed, it seems to me that keeping busy like that is perfect for a DD. I find that the more occupied I am, the easier it is--although my inclination is to want to do nothing at all on DDs! (I try to fight that inclination:-)

Eggs seem like a perfect DD food. Have you tried the Ostrim sticks yet? I like them for a 'portable' DD food.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #133
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I am having an UD today and it feels weird. My DD Monday was a fail so I gave it up and did a DD yesterday. That one was a breeze and I barely though about food all day. The mysteries of the human body.

I'm thinking while I am off for the summer I'll alternate instead of MWF DDs. I have better losses that way, but it is too much thinking when I am busy & on the go.

Leo, are the Ostrim sticks something that has to be ordered or can I find them in the store? We do a lot of hiking and active-y stuff and the usual granola bars, etc. just don't work for me, especially on a DD. If I'm not restricting calories I rely on nuts and protein bars but they are high calorie.

We are going to spend the day hiking tomorrow (another DD) and I wrote out a plan for food. I'm going to up to about 700 cals since I will be expending a lot of energy. We are going to camp in a campground but we are testing out some new backpacking equipment so my foods are limited to what I can carry and cook on a little stove. Wish me luck. I have been camping & hiking all my life, but backpacking is new.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forget who recommended the pickled brussel sprouts but THANK YOU! I adore them! and a filling little DD snack! having a day off today and cooking for my UD's: bbq chicken tenders, making greek yogurt, roasting bones for bone broth, and cooking up my lowfat lowcarb version of MsWood's protein brownies (I sub pumpkin puree for the butter and cream cheese). I enjoy a good day of cooking! Now off for a hike in the sunshine. Have a great day all--
Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #135
Senior LCF member

Gina-
I order the Ostrim from Netrition. I've never seen them in a store, but I don't get out much. We don't even have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in my area. They'd be perfect for you [unless you hate them], as they are very lightweight (for your pack), good source of protein, and only 70 cal each.

It is amazing how some DDs are so much easier than others. I've had a couple of instances where M and W were so difficult that I dreaded Fri, and that turned out to be exceptionally easy! And I've never been able to figure out anything in my life that could account for the difference--it's one of the mysteries of the body.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gina I've seen the Ostrim sticks at our local health food store. I don't know who has the better price - the store or Netrition. I'm impressed with the high protein in the Ostrim sticks. I have better losses when I alternate DD's and UD's. I did give myself an extra UD this week, so I hope I have a loss when I weigh.

Well, I'm going to bed a little hungry, however, it's a nice feeling knowing that when I wake up it will be an Up Day.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Working the long shifts on my DD's have definitely helped. I don't have time to think about eating constantly. Only problem is that I have to stop myself from gorging when I get home.
I have been taking a decent sized salad with a low cal dressing, some hard boiled egg whites, and a couple of thin slies of lunch meat for my lunch. I also packed some tiny pickles (5 c. for 3 pickles) and cucumber or other veggie slices for a late afternoon or early evening snack because I get really hungry in the afternoons. I take lots of stuff to drink which keeps me occupied when I can't eat. I haven't actually figured up the calories, but I figure it can't be too bad and veggies are good for me so even if its over a bit, I'm not gonna sweat it, plus I walk alot at a fast pace on the job so it have to be better than sitting all day. (at least that's how I justify it in my mind!)

I think the advice given to someone about control on the UD's is what I need as well. That's what got me into this predicament in the first place. I thought LC was a license to eat high fat foods the same way I used to eat LF but HC foods. I was way wrong and now I am paying the price.

I have found that adding fiber in the form of either guar gum or chia to my drinks really helps me feel fuller and more satisfied since they are thick. I make up different flavors using whatever flavor of SF drink mix I am in the mood for, freeze them in bottles to take to work or in cups for home snacking.I mix the drink mix with ice in the blender so they end up like slushie(gotta use about twice as much of the drink mix as usual for good flavor once they are frozen).

Redeemed,
you might want to try the Ostrim from the health food store before you buy a whole box. They are quite pricey. I wasn't impressed with either the teriyaki or pepper flavors. They have a sour taste to me but we all have different tastes. I will keep my eyes open for some low cal. jerky instead. There used to be fat free hot dogs and bologna that were really low cal but I can no longer find those in my area. Those made great portable snacks.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #138
Senior LCF member

jlp-

You might want to check on the number of calories in your DD menu because it may be a lot lower than you think! (Just your description seems kind of low to me.) I think Ouis does something similar with adding thickeners to drinks. I use psyllium to try to be 'regular,' and I find that it's also very filling, which is always nice on DDs.

I can only eat the 'regular' flavor in Ostrim sticks. I tried the 'pepper,' and it was much too 'much'--and I actually like spicey things.

I know what you mean about high fat/ low carb. When I read some of the people's menus on the Main Lobby, I mentally estimate the calories and am astonished. Today a friend of mine wants to have lunch at Applebee's, and I just looked at their menu nutritional info! The average lunch there would be my entire day's calories for an UD--and today is a "medium" day for me (to keep tomorrow an UD), so I'm going to have to be very creative in ordering.
But I was thinking about low carbers who only focus on the carb count. In a place like that, they could stay low carb but would have thousands of calories for one meal!

I know that Redeemed is going to tell me that they have 550 calorie meals there, but I'm not impressed with the nutritional content of those meals--and I'm trying to stay at 300 cal for this lunch!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

066.gif

JLP Good idea about trying my local store's Ostrim sticks first. Do you have a Trader Joe's store near you. They sell fat free hot dogs. I think the brand is Hebrew National. I agree with Leo that it's important to count all calories for DD's. Another thread where I post has a saying: "No eye-balling!" This way you'll know if you can add or need to subtract.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #140
Senior LCF member

I have always counted on DDs, and I've found that when I don't count on UDs, I get into trouble--i.e., fail to lose. Those calories add up so very quickly!

But unlike some people, I don't find counting to be a burden, and I know I will always have to count in order to maintain. Having been morbidly obese all my life, I have no natural satisfaction level that tells me that I've had enough to eat.

I've come to think of this weight control all as a 'hobby' that I indulge in for my health. It's actually interesting and fun.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

I count my UD calories also. My breakfast is usually the same, so that calorie count is memorized. At the beginning of this week, however, I was unusually hungry. I'm going to conclude that my body needed the extra calories that I gave myself. If I don't have a weight loss on Sunday, I'm not going to be discouraged. I'll keep pressing on.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #142
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

I've found myself in that situation a couple of times on UDs--especially hungry. Unlike DDs when I know to resist, I've assumed (as you did) that my body 'needed' more calories. In every instance, I didn't lose that week. So I hope you have a different outcome because I'd like to think my situation was just a 'fluke,' and there was no causative effect (because there are many weeks when I don't lose and track my calories perfectly).

What I suspect is that because the body regards weight loss as a negative, that extra hunger is part of its efforts to resist loss--thus, I should really ignore it.

But I'm not sure, so that's why I'm eager to see what your experience is.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Leo I expect to have highs and lows in my JUDDD journey. I do like the plan better than any other woe. If weight loss slows down, that's okay. I'll be like you, "The turtle that won the race." I talked to the cleaning lady where I work, and now she is going to do JUDDD. I highly suspect she has a thyroid problem, so it will be interesting to see if she has any weight loss.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #144
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

It's nice to know that I can be a 'negative example'--i.e., "If you can't lose, you might be like Leo" When I read complaints on the ML from people who haven't seen the scale drop in the past 15 min., I think it's really funny--if they only knew what slow losing really is!

I always said that I'd maintain for at least 6 months if I ever got to 175, but now that I've decided to lower that to 165, my body seems to remember that promise and is refusing to go any lower!

As always, I'm just going to 'work the plan' and see what happens. Since I'm off on another cruise 3 July, I'll be 'maintaining' soon anyway because I'm hoping to do what I did on my last cruise in February--not gain.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys!!

I am still here JUDDDIng away. It's my busy season at work, so I haven't been posting as much. I still find time to read what's going on with you guys! I will post more later when I have time...I am still holding steady. No new losses since my 117.6, but TOM is right around the corner!

Michelle
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #146
Senior LCF member

Hi Michelle-

I was just thinking recently that we hadn't heard from you for a while, and I'm glad all is well, and you're just busy.

Today I went up 5 lbs in an hour because I weighed myself shortly before I left for a doctor's appointment, and the tech weighed me with my clunky shoes on and my handbag on my shoulder! It was good for me to see that weight on the scale--because it reminded me that I never want to see it again--AND how easy it would be to go up to that number. It was also nice to know it would be lower with my 'accessories' eliminated.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Those office scales are always different (usually 5 lbs or so) from home scales. I always felt it was better to be consistent with the home scale otherwise I would be really depressed when I saw the office scale results. So now when I go to the doctor's I tell them that I am closing my eyes and I don't want to know what it is. They laugh along with me but they don't tell me and it's one less stress.

Redeemed, Thanks for that info. There isn't a Trader Joes here in FL but there is one in Ohio and when I head up there in a couple of weeks I plan on going there since I have read so many good things about it.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

morning001.gif

DD here. I plan on having a bag of shredded cabbage sauteed with onion, caraway seed and half pound of lean hamburger for my 5:00 PM supper. I saw this recipe for low carb/low calorie pancakes on another LC website. You can substitute EggBeaters if you want. They might make a nice wrap for sandwiches. The reviews were very favorable:

6 eggs
1.5 scoops Whey protein powder Vanilla flavored. (3 net carbs)
2 TBSP Psyllium husks (no carbs)
1 TBSP Cinnamon (.5 carbs)
1 TBSP Splenda (or 4 drops EZ Sweetz) (3 carbs or 0 carbs)

Mix the eggs in a blender, let blend for a few minutes to whip…then put in the other ingredients.

Keep the mixture stirred! It will separate some while sitting…so before you spoon some into the pan, stir it to keep the consistency the same from pancake to pancake.

Total carbs for the whole batch was 5.5 and it made 8 pancakes. The batter is thin. Pancakes can be frozen. Makes 8 pancakes.

Michelle Glad you're still with us. I was long past TOM when I started JUDDD, but I would imagine that would be a very difficult time for JUDDDing for me because I always had "the bingies" during that time.

JLP I don't know if you're flying or driving to Ohio. If you're driving and find those hot dogs at the Trader Joe's in Ohio, maybe you can buy a supply and put them in a cooler with ice for your trip back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Hi Michelle-

I was just thinking recently that we hadn't heard from you for a while, and I'm glad all is well, and you're just busy.

Today I went up 5 lbs in an hour because I weighed myself shortly before I left for a doctor's appointment, and the tech weighed me with my clunky shoes on and my handbag on my shoulder! It was good for me to see that weight on the scale--because it reminded me that I never want to see it again--AND how easy it would be to go up to that number. It was also nice to know it would be lower with my 'accessories' eliminated.
756788s66vye7kln.jpg

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-18-2010 at 04:44 AM..
Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #149
Senior LCF member

Another Friday UD for me, as I will travel (2 hrs) to my sister's to celebrate her 60th birthday. I have the most luscious cake for her--chocolate with cannoli filling, iced with whipped cream--and I have zero desire to eat any. I really think this is the effect of having given up all sweeteners for so long--plus the knowledge that sugar is poison for me.

Although I've made this an UD because we'll be having a restaurant meal, I don't intend to 'splurge' beyond my usual UD calories. More and more, I'm finding that healthy eating agrees with me, and I don't want to deviate from it at all.

Why couldn't I get my head in this place 35 years ago???
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Leo--I have the very same regrets. Sigh.

Redeemed! I make those same pancakes--however I use eggbeaters for lower fat/calories--I also use more psyllium to give them greater bulk. They have saved many a DD for me.

Still not judding particularly--except in spirit! I may get back to it, but found myself in binge territory on my UD's as well as lightheaded on my DD's. I'm eating slightly higher carbs (cottage cheese, greek yogurt and berries post heavy lifting)--still lowcarb"ish", lower fat. Trying to be extremely mindful in my eating--really listening to hunger cues. JUDDD has taught me that a little hunger pang will go away! Now I wait for the biga$$ hunger pangs, and my portions are much smaller. I still feel like I would like to find some kind of JUDDD happy medium, so I hope it is ok that I am still hanging out here!