Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #91
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Redeemed-

The way I understand all this is that just low calorie eating won't affect BG levels--it's the carbs that matter.

For example, I was regularly running fasting BG in the 97-98 range, but when I eliminated dairy, I'm now in the 93-94 range. My endo said that it's the sugar in dairy that could account for the slight drop.

On labs--my endo has a lab right in his office (it's a group practice), and my blood values are always consistent. My primary sends his out--and I find the results inconsistent, especially when he'll do blood work the same week as my endo, and I'll see two very different values--AND this is especially common with my BG number! So I agree that any questionable value should be re-tested before making any lifestyle or diet changes.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Redeemed-

The way I understand all this is that just low calorie eating won't affect BG levels--it's the carbs that matter.

For example, I was regularly running fasting BG in the 97-98 range, but when I eliminated dairy, I'm now in the 93-94 range. My endo said that it's the sugar in dairy that could account for the slight drop.

On labs--my endo has a lab right in his office (it's a group practice), and my blood values are always consistent. My primary sends his out--and I find the results inconsistent, especially when he'll do blood work the same week as my endo, and I'll see two very different values--AND this is especially common with my BG number! So I agree that any questionable value should be re-tested before making any lifestyle or diet changes.
Yes, I meant that I wanted to focus on sensible calories - not junk food and not low carb. If a person does not have Type I and is healthy, he/she can eat foods like carrots, potatoes, whole wheat bread when included in a balanced diet. Type II diabetes is related to weight. My patterns reflect a likelihood of developing Type II if I don't make changes in diet that help me reduce weight.

ETA: Type I diabetes is genetic. A person is predisposed at birth with this and that person can be very thin. It's not diet related. However, they have to monitor and regulate their blood sugar because the problem is in the cells of their pancreas . Type II is 95% related to obesity and lack of exercise. They also will have to monitor their blood sugar or lose weight in such case the Type II can be reversed.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-10-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
right on! woot woot
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I am on my last DD for my first week, woo hooo! I am doing DD M-W-F since it's easier to keep track of that way. Wed. went well but I was working 12 hr. shift so I kept busy all day and wasn't so focused on food. Working today will help as well. I have my low cal food packed and ready to go!
For me, it looks like frankenfoods on the DD's with lots of veggies for bulk. That appears to be the best way for me to feel satisfied (it's that volume thing I have issues with!). This will be an ongoing learning process as everything in life is.
Good luck to everyone today, have a wonderful weekend and thank you all for the encouragement!!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

593568p887g2dyd0.gif Good morning everyone.

JLP Sounds like you're doing great. Veggies are good for you. Hope your shift goes well. I have a 12 hour shift today. I brought mostly hard boiled eggs as it's easy to carry with me and eat.

Hope everyone has a great day JUDDDing!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #96
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
I don't think BloodSugar 101 would agree with you about obesity being the cause of Type2. She has often posted that it's an underlying metabolic disorder that actually causes the obesity and the diabetes, but it's a correlation rather than causation. She tries to help people understand that they didn't 'cause' their diabetes by gaining weight, but that the weight and the diabetes developed because of their metabolic problem.

In any case, if you're trying to control BG, the key is carbs. Weight reduction will tend to lower high BP, but BG is related to diet. For example, my endo has agreed that if I didn't eat as low carb as I do, I'd most likely have developed full-blown type 2 by now, even though I've drastically reduced my weight.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #97
Senior LCF member

Tomorrow is my 'official' weigh-in day, but for the first time, I don't care what the scale says. I went to the pool this morning in my new swimsuit--size 14!! I have never owned a size 14 swimsuit in my entire life.

Whatever the scale says, I'm too happy to care
Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #98

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Tomorrow is my 'official' weigh-in day, but for the first time, I don't care what the scale says. I went to the pool this morning in my new swimsuit--size 14!! I have never owned a size 14 swimsuit in my entire life.

Whatever the scale says, I'm too happy to care

GET IT GIRL!!!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
oh Leo!! I am ecstatic for you! You are simply amazing! You should be so so so proud of yourself! before and after pics one of these days

xoxoxooxoxox

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Leo I'll read up on some of Jenny's info - thanks. Great to hear about the size 14. It's funny Ouis should mention before and after pics. The other day I was in the grocery store and I saw a women in line and I thought, "I bet that's what Leo looks like!" Now, you've got us all curious!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #101
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

Down 1.5 lbs this morning (172), and confusing my body seems to have had a positive effect because I had no DDs last week! Being away, I found DDs too difficult, so I focused on protein and low calorie and probably just had consecutive "MDs." I certainly had no UDs.

I'm not recommending this and intend to 'JUDDD' next week, but it's nice to know that a 'change' doesn't have to mean weight gain.

About those pictures. That's going to be a problem, as I have always avoided cameras--not just the weight, but I'm definitely not photogenic. A few months ago, my sister showed me a picture taken at a party about 10 years ago when I probably wasn't at my highest weight, and I was totally shocked at how big I looked. I specifically remember the dress I was wearing, and recall thinking that I looked "good." I guess that's why we don't lose weight; we don't see what we actually look like.

We have nothing digital from those days, but I might search out something to scan, etc. We'll see. Quite frankly, I don't recognize myself NOW.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Weekly Weigh In

_2096035a0fsxt0umn.gif Good morning everyone!

Down 2 pounds this morning. I stayed on course this week with JUDDD with my 500/2100 everyother day alternations. So I'm very pleased and feel I have really worked for those 2 pounds. I may have more to eat on UD's than some but every other day at 500 is very challenging. My doctor called and left a message that there is always the possibility of a lab error when testing BS and that she is more than happy to retest fasting glucose and AC1. I have already purchased the AC1 at Healthcheck, so will go that route and save some money.

Leo Congratulations on the 1.5 lb loss. Interesting how you were able to lose doing medium days. I agree with you about the pictures. I'm that way still about full length mirrors - do not like them at all.

I work every other weekend; and this is my weekend to work, so I'll try to catch up with everyone's progress with JUDDD at night.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi all--

Congrats to you losers!!

I have been playing around a teeeeeny bit with my food. I've discovered that adding in a few more carbs definitely leads to more satisfaction and less hunger through the day--I have been mixing cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and berries, and have felt so so much more full than on just protein. I also appear to get through my weight routine at the gym better. So--just experimentation.
We will see if this impedes my weight loss in any way.

Busy weekend ahead--glad I got through my three DD's this week--and hoping to continue back on track next week--

Leo--I know what you mean about before pics--the only ones of me that show how bad it was are group pics, where I couldn't really avoid the camera. When my MIL passed away a couple of weeks ago, we were watching old family videos and I just CRINGED every time I was on camera. I wish I had known then what I know now.

<3

Ouis
Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #104
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

Yes, isn't it interesting how our self-perception keeps us from losing weight? A while back (after I'd lost a good bit), I saw a video of my niece's wedding when I was close to my highest weight. I cringed because I knew that I was "heavy," but never realize that I looked so awful!

Redeemed-

Congratulations on the loss! I know you work really hard at this. Isn't it sad how tough it is to lose and how easy to gain?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #105
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Congratulations on the swimsuit Leo!

Ouis, glad to hear that the extra carbs are working for you. I eat more carbs when I work out and it helps me too.

Redeemed, I hope you get a better (true) lab result next time.

JLP, Good job getting through a JUDDD week!

I feel the same way about pictures. My son's girlfriend was here the other night and we looked through the family albums and I can't believe how awful I looked.

I was down 2.5 of my 8 lb gain this morning and I got out for a run. Since I had such a hard time with my thyroid over the winter I didn't run much and lost conditioning. I did run/walk intervals though and felt fine. It will come back. It has to I signed up for a 6 mile race at the end of July.

Not running sure has taken a toll on my shape. We have had a heat spell lately (it isn't usually hot here) so I got out my shorts and stuff I haven't worn since last summer. I am actually a few pounds less, but everything is tight. I was running about 20 miles a week this time last year.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

1130162ney5u2jkoi.gif

Gina Congratulations on the 2.5 lb loss!!! That's great.

I don't have a digital scale, and I can't recognize a half pound on my old fashioned scale. I just count my losses in full pounds. I actually thought my scale read a little more than 2 pounds lower than last week, but thought if it was a half pound it will show up next week when I weigh.

Ouis Congratulations on getting through those down days.

Hope everyone has a good day. I'm off to work. I have several days off next week which will be nice. Cold and rainy here.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #107
Senior LCF member

Gina-
Congratulations on the loss. I remember when you were running so regularly, but I wonder about the effect of too much exercise on your thyroid? I've read that those with hypothyroid conditions should moderate exercise, but I really don't know how true this is. I guess I'm wondering whether your running might have caused your recent thyroid issues?

I know that I don't have the endurance that I used to, but I can't tell whether that's my thyroid or my age!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations everyone who lost this week!!!

Redeemed,
Since you work 12 hr. shifts, do you have any suggestions for low cal. finger foods? I barely have time for a real lunch break, so looking for things to fill me up that I can keep nearby. Afternoons are the worst time for me. Carrots and celery just aren't cutting it!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #109
GME

Leo, I don't think running is responsible for my most recent issues because I wasn't really running then. It may have been overwork and stress though. I was going a hundred miles an hour at that time. I could have just been tired because of that too and I know I wasn't tracking my food so maybe I just overate. I did have blood drawn in the middle of it so we will soon see. I feel better now, but still nap just about every day.

I have heard that thyroid patients shouldn't do strenuous exercise too. I keep it in the back of my mind, but it is one of those things I don't WANT to be true. I have talked at length with my thyroid doctor about my running and he didn't say anything. Next time I will ask him specifically.

MD for me today. I have a run/walk planned and then some errands witht the family. I think we'll stop by the fruit & veg stand. Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Congratulations everyone who lost this week!!!

Redeemed,
Since you work 12 hr. shifts, do you have any suggestions for low cal. finger foods? I barely have time for a real lunch break, so looking for things to fill me up that I can keep nearby. Afternoons are the worst time for me. Carrots and celery just aren't cutting it!
If you can find a low calorie vegetable soup and bring hard boiled eggs, that might be the way to go. It really works for me. I found a great soup at the health food store that is under 60 calories for one cup. You can put about three or four cups in a thermous and then bring several hard boiled eggs. I was thinking of getting some Ostrim sticks because of the high protein (80 calories each). Right now, I'm snacking on "hot brussel sprouts". They come in a jar like olives, and are five calories for four - very delicious snack. If you are home on a down day and don't mind the carbs, oat bran hot cereal with almond breeze for milk, and splenda works great. That's a very filling meal, especially if you have a double serving. I have been bringing a couple of cans of Dr. Zevia to work and having it in a glass with ice. That stuff is delicious and filling - zero calories - sweetened with stevia. I have to buy the Dr. Zevia at the health food store, or you can get it through Netrition.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Redeemed! I was just looking at the Oat fiber from Netrition and wondering how I could use it. The soup idea is great, I could keep that at the desk and just drink it from a cup.
Where did you find those brussels sprouts?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

428270sh42acnblr.gif Good morning Juddders! I was actually up earlier this am and read the posts, but was so hungry I had to go and make something to eat. It's an UD and I've already had 750 calories, so I'll need to watch it if I want a decent supper.

JLP I bought the brussel sprouts in the isle where jalepeno peppers and pickles are sold. They are not hot like the jalepenos - more mild and vinegar tasting. I also saw some asparagus in a jar that looked interesting. Ouis has posted that she makes a shake that is very filling and low in calories. Maybe that would be something to have for breakfast before going to work.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JLP--I make a oneminutemuffin using the oatfiber, davinci syrup, eggbeaters, and a TBs of pumpkin. Makes a tasty and filling muffin for less than 50 calories. zap in the micro for a minute or so.

gosh those brussel sprouts sound great! I wonder if it would be hard to make something like that?

JLP--I make filling shakes by using crystal liight and glucommannan powder. shake or blend together and refrigerate. gets thick and is a filling DD drink.

Sometimes if I am hungry on a DD I eat a bowl of lettuce with some walden farms dressing or just plain acv.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #114
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
Regular pickles have too much sodium for me, but I don't want to be bothered pickling anything from scratch. So what I do is buy a big jar of pickles and remove the pickles themselves to eat sparingly (I keep them in baggies, and will have one every once in a while.)

I then divide the pickle juice into two jars, and add water and some ACV, and occasionally some hot sauce. This lessens the sodium. I usually slice cucumbers into this (I just had a few slices!), but you could probably add any vegetable--brussels sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, etc.

The liquid lasts a very long time; I just keep refillings with sliced cukes. I've always found that 'flavor' is good for DD hunger.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

cool beans Leo! I am going to try that! Do you leave the peel on the cukes? do you slice thinly? deseed? or does it not make any difference?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #116
GME

What a cool idea about making your own pickled things. The sodium doesn't seem to bother me, but I would like to try some other veggies. Probably much cheaper too.

I eat lite soups on DDs when it is cool. I usually buy Campbells or Progresso. They have 60-80 cals per cup depending on variety. I usually am scared off by labels that look like their's do, but I loosen up on things like that for DDs.

DD for me today. I'm going to clean the spa so I should stay busy. Our nights are pretty cool here most of the year and whatever enjoyment I get out of sitting in it is marred by the frozen dash to the house when we get out, so it doesn't get used in the winter much. We bought the house with it installed already and for some reason it is out in an unlandscaped part of the yard, not on the patio. Someday there will be a deck and heater (and a place to hang towels), but for now we just use it in the summer.

We have fog today so I think I will have soup for lunch and I am planning sauteed cabbage and sausages for dinner (Hebrew National 40 cal ones for me- another label that would normally scare me off). Maybe I shouldn't eat two things with scary labels in one day. I have some frozen fish, I'll make a piece of that for lunch.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #117
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
I think you can fix the cukes any way you want--depending on your personal preference. I wash them and leave the skins on, seeds in, and I slice them THICK--mainly because I want that 'mouth action' on my DDs!

Gina-
I need to re-fill my spa sometime this week because I'm having company soon for a couple of days, and I'd like to have it available. I bought mine and had it installed in my enclosed (but unheated) porch (breezeway), so it's kind of frigid to use in the winter--but possible. I knew that if I put it outside, I would never use it much at all.

I keep intending to put some heat out on the porch because I have my washer/dryer there, too, and it would be more comfortable in the winter, but I always seem to find some other household emergency that eats up the money. The spa is empty now because I need to get a new supply of chemicals and have been putting that off.

Today's a DD for me, too, and my hot tea is keeping me going because I've already had 300 cal and would like to stop there if possible.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Great idea for pickled food. I think the flavor would be just right for the brussel sprouts. If I did cukes I would add some sliced onion.How long does it take for food to get pickled? This has to be done in the fridge, right? The brussel sprouts were soft and easy to bite into.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #119
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
It doesn't take long. I usually give my cukes just overnight, but something like brussels sprouts may take a little longer. However, the flavor is so strong that I think you'd get a good result in a short time.

I love brussels sprouts, so I'm planning to try them soon!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

UD today. I had a nice reuben sandwich that I baked in the oven for supper. I used two large slices of bakery rye bread for the sandwich. I had two English muffins during the day with my coffee, along with steak and salad. I test for glucose levels tomorrow a.m., so I'll know if the bread is raising my glucose levels. If my readings remain high, I'll just have to face the music and make the necessary changes. I wanted the test to reflect the way I normally eat, so that's why I didn't skip the bread. I have been off the Cinnergen and on an increase of 1/2 grain Thyroid med since my last glucose levels test a week ago. I'm getting a fasting blood glucose and an A1C. I did decide afterall to go back to my clinic. The test I purchased at Healthcheckusa will keep for another time. I'm hoping for a better report.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-14-2010 at 04:44 PM..