Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
RoLo Diva 651171i085p8my3i.gif

I started out 500 calories for DD and 2100 calories for UD. I alternated UD/DD every other day. I am on my fifth week of doing exactly the same thing. Some on the board do Mon. Wed. Fri. DD and the rest of the week UD. Some do a Medium Day and UD for the weekend. So, I never did 20%. I started out 25% and still have lost 14 pounds. Our longest team member has been doing JUDDD for 16 months and has lost around 70 pounds. I post on another JUDDD website where the team leader has lost over 60 pounds. Several people on these threads consider JUDDD their lifetime way of eating and enjoy this way of eating. Others cannot do it. Good luck!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RoLo-Diva
Hi Redeemed,
TY for the tips. I started the 1st couple days at 500 cals but realized my 20% was actually 408. I really didnt think i could go that low until I started using the Sensa so that's why my DDs are that low. However i have to be extremely careful with those 400 because I tend to get lightheaded easily if I wait too long for a meal or skip one. That's the main reason I've been thinking of going up a little.

After reading your response I do believe after the two wk induction I may go up to 25 or 30% for DDs so i can incorporate some exercise...I found the treadmill too much with the DDs
RoLo-Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Rolo Diva What's Sensa? I think most people who do JUDDD find it better to exercise on Up Days. Maybe Gina will come along and give her input as I know she is a runner.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-07-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Hi RoLo--curious also about Sensa--enlighten us!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #65
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
If I run in the morning, I do it on a DD. I can't eat before I run, but I seem to have enough UD food left in me. I tried running on the morning of an UD once. I really pooped out. If I am running in the afternoon I do it on an UD.

I wanted to add something about cinnamon. My DH drinks a tea made by boiling a couple of cinnamon sticks in a sauce pan of water almost every morning. He is Hispanic and it is pretty common. He doesn't do it for blood sugar control, he drinks it like I drink coffee. It is easy and fairly inexpensive.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

593568p887g2dyd0.gif Good morning everyone! My DD stir-fry last night was good but I couldn't eat all of it. A whole bag of stir-fry veggies, one can of bean sprouts drained, and 250 calories worth of smoked ham was actually too much food. I think my sauce came to about 30 calories, most of which stayed in the frying pan. I ate about three fourths. I have to confess I bought some Tab yesterday. I love that stuff. I used to drink it all the time years ago. I know it's not healthy, but it sure hit the spot. Interestingly, I had tummy troubles last night and couldn't help but think of Leo and her soda episode. Hope everyone has a great day JUDDDing!

Gina That tea your husband drinks sounds delicious!

Ouis I googled Sensa. It's stuff in a packet you sprinkle on your food that tricks your brain into thinking you're full. It costs almost sixty dollars for a month's worth. I tried Hoodia once and it did nothing for me.

Hope the Sensa continues to work for you, Rolo. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-08-2010 at 03:45 AM..
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #67
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Redeemed, Not finish a meal on a DD? That is quite an accomplishment. Your stir fry sounds delish.

I didn't realize they still made Tab. I was just talking about it with a gal at work the other day. I started drinking that in about 8th grade because my mom was on a diet and kept it in the house.

RoLo, Welcome! I think you will do fine if you raise your cals some after the two weeks, especially if you are exercising. There has been much debate here about this, but Dr. J said in his book that if you work out on a DD you can add the calories you burn to your DD total & eat more. What isn't clear though is what happens if you have added your activity level, including your regular workout, to the calculator to get your DD %. I don't do any actual calculating of cals burned on DDs, but I don't sweat an extra 100 or so if I run that day.

Gotta run. I am technically out of school and on vacation, but I am working today and tomorrow on some math stuff for next year for my school district.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gina Yes, they still make Tab, and it still comes in that pretty pink can. We have a chain of grocery stores in MN called Cub Foods. That's where I bought mine.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-08-2010 at 09:17 AM..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the end of my second DD since restarting JUDDD--so far so good--getting a little tiny bit of the funeral bloat off--still need some bloodwork done but found that my good thyroid doc has left town, dammit. So the search is on again.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Thank you everyone for your advice and tips!
I have spinach so I will be making that as well as some stir fry. I cannot go all day without eating since I am a grazer, therefore I must find really low cal foods that I can eat throughtout the day.
Yesterday was my first DD and I know that I went over the 500 cals (probably by lunch!) however, it did force me to be aware of what I am eating, when, and how much. So it's a start anyway.
I know the strict LC'ers wouldn't eat the large amount of veggies that I had yesterday, but they keep the calories low.

Ouizoid, is there something besides Davinci's that you add to the protein powder and cocoa to give the pudding body?
And what is that glucomannan gel?
I did add guar + water to my salad dressing to make it go farther since I haven't been able to buy any FF items yet.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice and tips!
I have spinach so I will be making that as well as some stir fry. I cannot go all day without eating since I am a grazer, therefore I must find really low cal foods that I can eat throughtout the day.
Yesterday was my first DD and I know that I went over the 500 cals (probably by lunch!) however, it did force me to be aware of what I am eating, when, and how much. So it's a start anyway. I know the strict LC'ers wouldn't eat the large amount of veggies that I had yesterday, but they keep the calories low.

Ouizoid, is there something besides Davinci's that you add to the protein powder and cocoa to give the pudding body?
And what is that glucomannan gel?
I did add guar + water to my salad dressing to make it go farther since I haven't been able to buy any FF items yet.
JLP That's a great start!

I'm off for a 14 hour shift - everyone have a wonderful day!!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #72
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi new JUDDers!

If you check this thread, you should be able to find out listing of DD 'recipies'--things we've concocted to keep us full with low calories on DDs.

I hope you realize that you ALTERNATE these DDs--even during the first two weeks. As I read a couple of your posts, it seems as though you think the 'induction' is continuous DDs--so I hope I'm wrong.

It's never easy, but it gets easier once you find foods you like and a rhythm to your day. As others have commented, I tend to eat throughout the day--at least 2-3 times, and I always eat in the morning. I've had as much as 250 cal for breakfast at times and still maintained a 400 cal DD. But that's just how my body likes to eat. Many others wait until evening, and have one meal.

Redeemed, Ouis, Gina, etc.

I'm still at my conference. This is the final morning, but I found a computer at the motel, so that's why I'm online. The computer 'froze' when I tried to access my mail account, but it took me right to low carb friends, so that's certainly a sign of what's important

Meals are included here, and I've been able to keep calories low and protein high because they have at least one selection (buffet style) of meat without any sauce, etc. I've been piling my plate with salad veggies (no dressing) and putting the meat on top--delicious.

All the 'breaks' have sugary treats to go with the coffee, and from what I can see, I'm the only person who doesn't indulge. However, I had a conversation with another participant--very slim, no weight issues--who admitted that the sugar at the break "knocked her out" and she knows that sugar is bad for her, but she can't resist it. So perhaps my weight problem has a good side since in my old age, it's led me to primal eating--i.e., I don't have that problem giving up sugar!

By the way, I've read a lot about Sensa, and I'm inclined to think that it's a placebo effect if it works for anyone. The science says that there's nothing that should suppress appetite in those 'sprinkles.' In any case, I'd rather eat low carb to control my appetite than put random chemicals on my food.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #73
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
Hello All. Where can I find sample menus?
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi Meek--there is a JUDDD recipes thread you can search for--

Leo--nice to "see" you! It feels so good to have control--that is what I love about LC--97 percent of the time, cravings are very manageable, even in the face of temptation--

Yeah--I googled that Sensa stuff. I am very happy that it might help someone, but I don't think it is for me.

Gina, Redeemed, everyone--hope you all have a GREAT day. UD for me, and I continue to make UDs my focus--eating hi protein, low to moderate fat, lowcarb. It is helping. I am also focusing on eating for pleasure but only when I am hungry. When I first started JUDDD, UDs seemed like permission to binge. UD's are much more under control now, but I have to make very sure they are gratifying without being bingey. Higher protein seems like the key.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #75

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
Thank you
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #76
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

What is it about conferences that brings out the junk food? Glad you found a computer to check in.

I'm off to work on some planning for my district again this morning and there will be a full plate of pasteries by the coffee when I get there and they put a bowl of little candy bars on the tables after lunch. What Leo said about her weight problem turning out to have a good side is true for me too. Between that and my wheat allergy, it is much easier to stay on track. My dad has become diabetic and I'm sure I would have too if I hadn't cleaned up my eating. I doubt the far-off-maybe-someday threat of diabetes would have been enough for me if I didn't want to lose weight and have severe stomach pains if I eat my beloved brownies.

DD for me today. Ignore the candy, ignore the candy, ignore the candy...

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Meek 651171i085p8my3i.gif If you go to Dr. Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet website, it will tell you how to do this woe. I do 500 calories one day and 2100 calories the next. There is a calculator on the website that will calculate how many calories you need on Up Days and how many calories you need for Down Days. Some people only do Mon. Wed. Fri. Down Days and the rest Up Days.

How is the baby? He certainly is our little answer to prayer!

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-09-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Well, something is very wrong. Six weeks ago my fasting blood sugar was 102. Since doing JUDDD, I have lost 14 pounds and have eaten much less carbs. Monday my fasting blood glucose (blood draw) was 120. I did take Cinnergen for 7 days prior to the test. That was supposed to lower blood sugar. How could it have gone up? I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to tell her there must be some sort of mistake. Those tests are expensive, but I need a retake. That's the same lab that lost two other blood tests I had done. I'm wondering if there was a mix up. Also my thyroid is low so I have a half grain increase of Thyroid. I'm happy I was still able to lose weight with JUDDD. I'm very upset about my blood sugar report.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whoa Redeemed! That is some kind of wacky leap! Did he test your A1C?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #80
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

If your thyroid was low that can drive up your BG reading.

Also, lab issue--definitely ask for a re-test, but I'd also request an A1C since that is a more reliable indicator of your BG over the past few months rather than one reading.

I read an article that often low carb eating can produce a higher than normal fasting BG, but the A1C will be normal and more indicative of the person's actual BG. That's true for me; my endo checks both every four months, and although my fasting BG is in the 'high normal' range (93-95), my A1C comes back as ideal.

Also, I had some blood tests for a possible genetic defect about 5 years ago (two of my siblings died young of clotting disorders). The doctor ordered about $2600 worth of tests (covered by insurance!), and when he got the results, he told me that he was repeating the same tests because lab error was so rampant that he would not make a diagnosis on one result (he was a hematologist). Insurance covered the re-testing, too.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, Leo. So nice to have such a wise and intelligent person's input here. I'm very suspicious of these results especially because when they sent me my thyroid results via e-mail, they did not include the bs levels. When I called the clinic, the nurse said she could not find any record of fasting glucose being done and she would check with my doctor. Later last evening the bs levels were e-mailed to me. I will ask for a recheck testing for A1C as you suggested. Meanwhile, my doctor wants me to come in for counseling on how to eat properly. Oh dear! Who knows what they'll tell me to eat! I'm not going because I'm convinced there is something off. If there is indeed a problem, I know how to do Atkins and that would be my plan.

Back to JUDDD. Yesterday's DD was a beast!!! I was so busy running all over the Mayo Clinic in Rochester (work related) I only had 250 calories. When I got home and saw my e-mail from my clinic, I was way too upset to eat. Here's to a better day. I have the day off and it's an UD.

Hope everyone has a good day. This is week five for me on JUDDD and I'm really liking it more than anyother woe, even though I've had my ups and downs with it.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-10-2010 at 03:58 AM..
Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 AM   #82
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

If you want to get info on how to eat for diabetes (and to prevent), I'd advise checking out Dr. Richard Bernstein's website. He has a book, but his website provides excerpts from the book, including his eating plan. If you ever meet with your doctor, you might be able to educate him.

Dr. Bernstein is the reason I never eat fruit, for example--because it's basically just sugar. He also has the advice of limiting carbs to 10-12g per meal to control the insulin response and keep BG stable. Dr. Eades includes that advice in Protein Power, and I try to follow that, too.

If you don't already know, Dr. Bernstein was a young engineer when he was diagnosed with type1. He followed the 'traditional' advice for diabetics and found himself with blood sugars out of control, requiring more and more insulin. So he began experimenting on himself to see what foods caused the rise, etc. After a while, he realized that the accepted diet was all wrong, but he could not get anyone to pay attention to him. So he went to medical school to get some credibility! Unfortunately, he's still considered a maverick by the medical community, and nutritionists are still telling diabetics to eat fruit, grains, etc.

You would not have to follow his diet, but what interested me is that he provides the science behind all of his recommendations, so you could judge for yourself what you might do.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Leo. It shouldn't be too hard to educate my doctor. She once told me to drink Slimfast shakes to lose weight...! I'm hoping that with continued losing on JUDDD and eating less carbs, my bs will go down. I'll have a better idea how to plan once I get a recheck. It very well could be the Cinnergen threw things off.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #84
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Redeemed, I hope you get your testing worked out. I agree that you shouldn't worry about one result.

I can't believe the horrible advice that has been given to diabetics. My husband's grandfather was type II and insulin dependent. My MIL took care of him as he got older (this was 15-20 years ago). She took him to his appts, met with the nutritionist and followed the diet they gave her to a T. They gave her a lot of bad advice, but the thing that stands out is the angel food cake. They told her to give it to him because it is fat free. Birthdays are a big deal to them so everyone gets a party with all the trimmings. Next to the regular cake there was always an angel food for Grandpa. He would eat it, complain (good-naturedly) about the lack of frosting and shoot up his insulin. She feels terrible now.

It seems like it should be malpractice, but it is so wide-spread and accepted. How do you narrow the blame for something "everyone knows?"

My DD went well yesterday. I went to my meeting and went out for lunch. I have a stand-by 150 cal salad from Subway I eat if I am out. I did eat ONE dark choc mini from the bowl after lunch, then I consulted the other gal at my table and we agreed the bowl should go back.

The fam & I had some running around to do last night and stopped at our favorite local burger place. Real meat in the burgers and they happily do a lettuce wrap (they call it bare back- they whole place is a little risque, which I didn't notice until last night. I have been taking my teens there.:blush. They also have excellent real blended milkshakes, but we won't talk about those just now. I ordered a chicken breast sandwich, no dressing and it came with a couple of slices of tomato and dill pickle. I don't know the calorie count exactly, but I think I came out alright in the end.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #85
Senior LCF member

Although today is an UD, I'm always amazed at how quickly these calories add up! I can really see why many people re-gain because I know I will have to always count and watch what I eat because my requirements are so low in comparison to what 'normal' people eat.

Jenny (BloodSugar 101) once posted that those of us who wound up morbidly obese always have some metabolic disorder because it's not natural to gain like that, and I think that disorder doesn't go away with weight loss.

I know that I can very quickly re-gain if I'm not careful, so being careful is my new hobby
Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gina I've seen some of the pre-diabetic plans on-liine - so much chemical-laced junk; i.e., sugar-free jello, etc. I just saw a plan that had canned peaches, bananas and brown rice and carrots all in one day! My father was diabetic and was told he could have oatmeal every morning as long as he had bacon also. Then of course he had to give himself insulin.

Leo Thanks - I looked up Dr. Richard Bernstein's website. I'll keep his book in mind. I don't want to make any drastic changes until I see the results of my next blood glucose test. I have a call into my doctor to discuss this. In theory intermittent fasting is supposed to improve insulin sensitivity. I admit I have been eating carbs, but I really haven't been over doing it. I don't eat ice cream or potatoe chips on my up days, but I will have toast and potatoes, watermelon, etc. My readings were excellent when I did Atkins for a year with the exception of low potassium. The reason I turned to JUDDD was because I wanted to lose weight by counting calories only. So, I'm hoping that by losing weight and staying on plan, my blood sugar levels will go down. To be honest, I really don't have confidence in the lab at the clinic right now. I just may opt to use the Healthcheck system and ask my doctor if she'll be willing to their handling my testing. Healthcheck is a faction of the cost; which is important when paying out of pocket.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-10-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #87
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Redeemed, I don't know why your doc wouldn't OK Healthcheck. She probably just doesn't know about the cost difference. That way you could be sure you get the tests you need, since you will be doing the actual ordering. I used them once and it was really easy and fast.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Redeemed, I don't know why your doc wouldn't OK Healthcheck. She probably just doesn't know about the cost difference. That way you could be sure you get the tests you need, since you will be doing the actual ordering. I used them once and it was really easy and fast.
The A1C test is only $50.00. Less if I can find a good current discount code.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #89

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
The A1C test is only $50.00. Less if I can find a good current discount code.
try 12345 discount code it always works on the thyroid panel
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
try 12345 discount code it always works on the thyroid panel
Thanks, Kisha. It worked. I ordered the test for $45.00.