Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunnie71
Stats: -47 pounds and many more to go!
WOE: LC and Breastfeeding
These 2 weeks I am cutting it to the bone and cycling 1200 calories per day average. 8400 calories for the week with 3/500 cal DDs. It is an impossibility of physics that a person my size, with no medical problems, can not drop weight on that kind of calorie reduction. Today is Day 4. I have had 1/500 cal DD.

Last edited by Sunnie71; 05-23-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Sunnie71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #242
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Annie-
That's why I mentioned thyroid--an inability to lose weight is one of the 'symptoms.' Do you know what your T3 level was during that work up? If not, you don't know that you're not hypo. I'm not pushing this; I just have a lot of experience with people denying they have a problem because they've been checked, agonizing about their failure to lose, and eventually discovering that they really are hypo.

HOWEVER, if you had ONE higher carb day, that's the source of your 'bounce up.' One absolute about low carb eating is that it's unforgiveable of any deviations. Physiologically, you retain a lot of water immediately. That could be why you're going up and down. Either eat low carb or don't, but don't have a 'free' day a week or so; otherwise you'll be seeing those water fluctuations all the time.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

I have a yearly coming up in July. I will have the blood work done again.

I just can't see not losing anything with a calorie reduction. I had 1 higher carb day out of 23. And that day I still didn't go over 60 carbs. I have never had so much trouble losing before.

I am going to add resistance training 2x a week and see if that will help my metabolism.

At this point all i can do is keep tweaking every couple of weeks until something works. I just can not concede that I have to stay this size forever.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Welcome to the new Juddders! As you can see, we are a motley crew of slow losers who have ended up loyal to this plan for various reasons, but mostly because it is something we can stick with and find results. Like many, I have found it slow going, but only because I have not been very strictfor a good part of my last year on juddd. It is amazing to me, given my lack of consistancy, that I ever managed to drop 20 lbs and, for the most part, keep it off. I got pretty close to goal last fall at 146, but between the holidays, a couple of vacations, and weekend, upon weekend of indulgences, the weight has crept back up to the mid 150's. Even during the phases when I was strict, it never came off faster than 1.5 lbs a week, however. The reason I share all this with you is so you don't build overly optimistic expectations. For most of our group, it will always be a slow and difficult journey, requiring diligence and patience. Leo, our beloved captain can attest to this. But, look at her incredible success!
I would advise to give it at least 3 weeks before making any judgements, especially if you are adding in more carbs than your body is used to.

Michelle- I am so glad to hear you broke thru 120. I am still curious about the whole HCG thing but the thread is so voluminous, I get intimidated. I am mainly curious as to how those who hit goal do maintenance, and whether it has a good track record of success for the long haul? I am not really considering it, although I can totally relate to your wanting to just do something kind of drastic to just get to goal once and for all.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #245
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie71 View Post
I have a yearly coming up in July. I will have the blood work done again.

I just can't see not losing anything with a calorie reduction. I had 1 higher carb day out of 23. And that day I still didn't go over 60 carbs. I have never had so much trouble losing before.

I am going to add resistance training 2x a week and see if that will help my metabolism.

At this point all i can do is keep tweaking every couple of weeks until something works. I just can not concede that I have to stay this size forever.
If you don't lose weight JUDDing there is DEFINATELY something wrong. So follow your plan to stick to it for several weeks. If the scale isn't moving we can help you make sure the proper thyroid tests are done. Other options medically are PCOS and insulin resistance. Leo and I can at least help you with the thyroid OTOH over the year and a half I've been on the JUDD theads it is not uncommon to see weight loss pick up after week two and into week three and four... maybe the SIRT1 gene being activated. I've seen little/no weight loss in first two weeks reported that then took off. As with most WOE you've sort of got to give it a month to get a verdict. Hang in there!~
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #246
Senior LCF member

Annie-

Snaggle and Kisha are right. Most of us came to JUDDD because we weren't losing on standard low carb (even though we'd all lost major pounds already). And I recall that my loss didn't pick up to remain steady (even though just a pound a week) until my 3rd or 4th week. So give it a few weeks, and if you're not losing, then you can get medically tested in July to see what the problem is.

By the way, if I can lose, being both post-menopausal and hypothyroid, anyone can lose! Just don't ever give up. There's always a solution!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Hi everyone--had a wonderful/terrible weekend--took husband and son/gf to Disneyland--last night got word that my Mother-in-law passed away--the good news is that we were already in Southern Cal--so DH jumped in a cab and took off for his sister's house--I flew back to northern california today with the kids--fly back again on tuesday night for the funeral wednesday and sitting shiva for the rest of the week. This is on top of my parents who have been in the hospital with their own illnesses. It is just that time of life, I am afraid.

So--I have managed for the nonce to stay lowcarb--thru all the insanity that has happened over the last couple of weeks. Of course I have not been able to JUDDD at all and don't anticipate being able to have a down day for another week or two.

I will continue to try and check in when I can.

best to all my buddies

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #248
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Hi everyone--had a wonderful/terrible weekend--took husband and son/gf to Disneyland--last night got word that my Mother-in-law passed away--the good news is that we were already in Southern Cal--so DH jumped in a cab and took off for his sister's house--I flew back to northern california today with the kids--fly back again on tuesday night for the funeral wednesday and sitting shiva for the rest of the week. This is on top of my parents who have been in the hospital with their own illnesses. It is just that time of life, I am afraid.

So--I have managed for the nonce to stay lowcarb--thru all the insanity that has happened over the last couple of weeks. Of course I have not been able to JUDDD at all and don't anticipate being able to have a down day for another week or two.

I will continue to try and check in when I can.

best to all my buddies

Ouis
Oh Dear! My prayers for you and your family at this difficult time... take care of yourself!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #249
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

So sorry you're having so much difficulty, but, as you point out, this is a part of life at this time, and we all have to do whatever we can.

The only reason to even think about your WOE at this time, is that you don't want to feel physically awful in addition to all the emotional strain. I think if you just stay as low carb as possible, eating in moderation, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

I hope this time of separation from a loved one is peaceful for all.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
I am new to this thread....but I love this site. It is wonderful that we can all pull together and have someone to vent to all the time! I think weight loss or not...everyone needs that!

Embarking on my second DD today! Starting off the day with some hot green tea...wish me luck!
lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
"...anyone can lose! Just don't ever give up. There's always a solution......" Leo

I agree!!!

Ouis My heartfelt sympathy to you and your loved ones during this time of loss, worry and stress. I lost my mother suddenly to an aortic aneurysm. I couldn't speak about it for over two years without crying. When my father passed slowly after years of cancer, we were all ready and had a sense of peace concerning his passing. We were prepared; and actually, it was a relief to have him pass on. I pray your husband will be comforted and find peace during this time of earthly separation from his mother. I admire you for even being able to do low carb during this time. Take care.

lowcarb13 Good luck on this your second DD. This is a DD for me too. I'm going to have scrambled eggs for dinner around 5:00 p.m. I find waiting until the end of the day for my 500 calories helps me sleep during the night.

Annie The first time I tried JUDDD it took me 3 weeks to lose 3 pounds. It was shortly thereafter I discovered I had a thyroid problem. The last time I tried JUDDD I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks (on thyroid meds). This time I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Each time I ate pretty much the same way. So, I agree with Kisha: If you are not losing at all it may be worth while to have things checked out. Here's hoping you start losing.

Well, it's only 8:10 a.m. and already 75.8 degrees. Another hot and muggy day. I'm staying indoors with the air on, and try to get caught up on one of my many unread books I have piled up.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-24-2010 at 06:29 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

By the way...I was at the health food store the other day and found some soda called Zevia. I bought a can of lemon/lime just to try it. Oh my, I found a delicious filler for DD's. This stuff is good. Zero calories and all natural. It's sweetened with Stevia - which I do not consider an artificial sweetner. Stevia is made from a plant leaf and has antioxidents. It does have some erythritol - which I don't know too much about, but I'm going to the health food store today to pick up a supply.

Okay, I see after I posted that Zevia is highlighted in blue which means I can get it through Netrition also! For newcomers to this site, just click on the highlighted Zevia in above paragraph to get product details.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-24-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #253
Senior LCF member

lowcarb 13-

I'm on a DD today, too, so we can have some solidarity in this process. It's turning out to be one of my 'tough' ones--they're really unpredictable--but I always remind myself that I've done this before, so I can do it again!

I make an eggwhite 'omelet' with a little chopped spinach in my microwave with just spray Pam on the cup. It's only 50 cal, and very filling. Use 1/4 cup egg whites, and micro for 1.5 minutes. I've had 2 this morning with my black coffee.

I drink green tea for the rest of the day and am on my second cup at 11 am. It's really filling and helps me get through DDs. Unlike, Redeemed, I don't save my calories for the end of the day. If I did that, I'm sure I'd be chewing off my arm

However, JUDDD has taught me to listen to my body, and while I tend to be a morning eater, there have been a few DDs when I was not particularly hungry and did wait to eat in the evening. I try not to eat out of 'habit' any more.

Good luck today--you can do this!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Ouis - my heartfelt condolences to your family. We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. This must be a very difficult time for your husband. I pray that he finds his best memories of his mother over the next few weeks to sustain him.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Today is my second DD also. I am bound and determined to figure this thing out and drop this weight! Its so frustrating!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Here is what I did on the last DD. I think I will repeat it.

Breakfast:
3 egg white omelet with spinach and mushrooms
coffee with whole milk and sweetener

Snack:
SF Jello

Lunch:
1 can of mustard sardines
2 slices of bran crispbread
baby dill pickles

Snack:
SF Jello

Dinner:
Shirataki noodle soup with broccoli
4 oz mahi mahi fish

Snack:
SF Jello

499 calories 63g protein 13g fat 35g carbs 17g net carbs
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
I'm half way through the day...some green tea, water, and two EAS shakes down so far. I'm halfway there. Jeez this is rough!
lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

I can't do the shakes. Its just not enough volume to get me through. I have to actually EAT something. if i could get the shakes next to 0 calories then i could sip all day and feel better, but I haven't done it yet.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

I decided I would have something at noon, so I had a cup of vegetable soup for 59 calories. I added a tsp. ACV and some hot sauce. Very filling. I can wait for my scrambled eggs now at 5:00 p.m.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #260
Senior LCF member

Annie-
Your menu looks delicious--you really seem to know how to manage calories!

Like you, I need food rather than shakes. If I don't have 'mouth action,' then I'm really starving!

lowcarb 13-
It's only really tough at first. After that, you become tough and can make it through the DDs. In the beginning, I thought it would be impossible to exist on so few calories, but once I'd done it, I began to experience such a strong control over my eating that it has been incredible.

While the weight loss is a true bonus, for me, the best aspect of doing JUDDD has been the psychological insights I've gained into my food issues.

Last edited by Leo41; 05-24-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

I was out getting some more noodles, and the store I buy them at also sells ice cream that has 1.5 carbs AND 20 calories!! I got to have ice cream on a DD! WOO HOO!

324 calories down for the day. I have dinner and a snack left. Its really not so hard if you plan well.

Last edited by Sunnie71; 05-24-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Annie-
Your menu looks delicious--you really seem to know how to manage calories!
I crunch numbers with the best of them. I figured if its all I get I better make the most out of it. The first DD was a disaster. I learned from it quickly.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

So, I don't have to stay at 500 calories after the first two weeks? OR is it better to stay at 500?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #264
Senior LCF member

Yes, after the 2 weeks, you are free to go above 500 cal, but did you check your recommended DD number on the calculator?

Mine began at 430 cal, so I've never gone above 500.

And I would never dare do anything like ice cream on a DD! First, I have to use as many calories as possible for protein, so that really dictates my DD menu and keeps it to egg whites and fish for the most part.

Also, one of the things I learned from my DDs is that my body processes artificial sweeteners exactly like the real thing. When I was eating more, I didn't notice the effect, but on DDs, I could easily tell that AS were stimulating my hunger.

This was great for me, as it enabled me to get all ALL artificial sweeteners.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

I got to the point this afternoon that i couldn't eat one more bite of meat or egg

The low cal ice cream kept me from eating a pb&j sandwich!

I did look at the calculator, but it seems high to me.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

I think I would gain if I went by the calculator. It says I can have 700+ on DD and 2400+ on UD. I may try it later on down the line - after I've lost a significant amount of weight.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I think I would gain if I went by the calculator. It says I can have 700+ on DD and 2400+ on UD. I may try it later on down the line - after I've lost a significant amount of weight.
20% of 2400 is 480. So your DD would be 480 if you were using the 20% as a guide.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #268
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

Are you sure you're using the calculator correctly? I've never heard of anyone getting a number as high as 700 cal for DDs. I was 254lbs when I began, and my number was 430.

Annie-
It's the UD number that you can ignore. Mine would have caused weight gain immediately! I already knew when I came to JUDDD that I needed to average <1000 cal daily in order to lose (my endo confirmed this). So I began at 400/1400, and lost about 1lb a week. What's encouraging is that by emphasizing protein and exercising, I seem to have lost mostly fat and built muscle, so I'm still losing at approximately the same number of calories. This is good because if I had to go much lower, I'd worry about maintenance.

When I went on a 2-week cruise in February, I experimented with "maintenance"--i.e., determined not to gain and tried to see how I could do that. I came home 2 lbs lighter! So I've been really encouraged. I am going on another cruise in July and will try it again.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

morning001.gif

How did everyone's DD go yesterday?

Annie and Leo: I'm in OWL now. I calculated at 30% mode, exercise three times a week. That's what I was considering for owl even though I will be doing strict alternation of Up Day/Down Day. At 5'2". 250 pounds the calculator gave me over 700 calories for UD and over 2400 for DD. However, I lose best at 500 DD and 2100 UD. These are figures I came up with.

This morning I woke telling myself, "I will not overeat today! I can do this!" Lots of positive self-talk and planning meals will help me succeed. I know from past experience that it's control of my UD's that will help me succeed on JUDDD. I seem to get through the DD's okay.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-25-2010 at 04:25 AM..
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #270
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

Yesterday's DD was one of my 'tough' ones (don't know why), but I kept it to just about 400 cal, 50 more than I wanted. But Dr. J specifically says not to sweat another 100 cal on DDs just as long as you don't go over 500. Nevertheless, I seem to do best these days on 350 cal DDs.

I agree that control of UDs is essential. When I just try to "eat to satisfaction" on UDs, I cannot lose, simply because I'm never 'satisfied.' I have to count and keep my calories in check.

But I don't mind because JUDDD has taken me to the lowest weight of my adult life, and I feel terrific. When I maintain, I'm hoping to be able to have 600-700 cal DDs which, after my 350 ones, will be quite a luxury