Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
My plan was to just do 3 EAS shakes throughout the day (110 calories each) and lots of tea and fluids. The calculator said my DD should be 357.

I've drank one EAS shake and can't imagine making it through the night. I work my second job tonight...so I will be up until AT LEAST 1am!!! I still have 12 hours to go!
lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
The first DDs can be really really tough and alot of us had some false starts.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #213
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
lowcarb-

I don't know how you're going to manage DDs with 2 jobs because I always have to go to bed early on DDs--before I start gnawing on the kitchen table! But Redeemed has been able to do DDs, and she often works 12 and 14-hour shifts, so I guess you can get used to it.

But as Kisha points out, sometimes folks take a while to get their calories low. You should try to keep the calories as low as possible today, even if you have to go over 500. Then for your next DD, plan how you can go lower, etc. Some people have had success doing this--i.e., gradually lowering calories until they get under 500.

A lot of this comes with experience--e.g., I'm eating very differently now on DDs than when I began, simply because I've had time to experiment and see what works best for me. Practically all of us eat differently to insure that we can stay low on DDs because everyone is unique.

Personally, I'd starve if it used shakes because one of the things I learned from my DDs is that my body processes artificial sweeteners just like sugar, so if I had any AS on a DD, I was voraciously hungry. The up side of this is it gave me to motivation to give up ALL sweeteners, and it's one of the best things I ever did.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #214
Senior LCF member

low carb-

Another tip--when Dr. J recommended shakes, he also said that it helps to just 'sip' them slowly--i.e., if possible take a couple sips and then wait a while to drink any more. This supposedly helps you stay satisfied.

I do that with food on DDs. I will mix myself a 250 cal tuna salad, but I will only eat a few tablespoons with my morning coffee. More later on with my tea, etc. So that small salad lasts me most of the day. I was amazed at how well this works.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunnie71
Stats: -47 pounds and many more to go!
WOE: LC and Breastfeeding
So I crunched some numbers and I am aiming to get down to 500 by the 7th day. So that will be reducing every other day until I get down to 500 next Wednesday. I went to the store today and stocked up on low cal/low carb stuff for DD, and I will ease into it.

Thanks for all the tips and advice
Sunnie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:57 AM   #216
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

Down 3 lbs this morning! But keep in mind that I've had no loss the preceding two weeks, so this is actually my standard one pound a week--but I'll take it.

It's interesting to me how this 'pattern' of loss has occurred the past two months--i.e., no loss for weeks, and then a 'whoosh.' I suspect it's that water issue--i.e., the body replaces lost fat with water, expecting the fat to return, eventually having to dump the excess water if it doesn't get its expected fat 'refill.' I say this because I'm doing nothing different from week to week, so my body is doing something to delay the loss.

The moral of my story (to me) is to just stay on plan for at least a month before 'panicking' about a stall. Dr. A was quite correct to say that a 'stall' is six weeks without movement on the scale or in measurements.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

So I got through the first DD doing 560 calories...not bad! I will aim to lower it on the next DD.

Now with the weekend here...had a question for all of you. I know someone posted you do down days on M, W, F...which makes a lot of sense to me. Is this what everyone does? Or do you literally go 1 UD 1 DD...over and over?

Thank you again for all of your support!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Weekly Weigh In

Down 3 lbs this morning! But keep in mind that I've had no loss the preceding two weeks, so this is actually my standard one pound a week--but I'll take it.

It's interesting to me how this 'pattern' of loss has occurred the past two months--i.e., no loss for weeks, and then a 'whoosh.' I suspect it's that water issue--i.e., the body replaces lost fat with water, expecting the fat to return, eventually having to dump the excess water if it doesn't get its expected fat 'refill.' I say this because I'm doing nothing different from week to week, so my body is doing something to delay the loss.

The moral of my story (to me) is to just stay on plan for at least a month before 'panicking' about a stall. Dr. A was quite correct to say that a 'stall' is six weeks without movement on the scale or in measurements.
Congratulations, Leo!!! I have to say you certainly have the upper hand with your body and how it reacts...you know it well. You fool those old fat cells every time!! Your progress has been so steady and you really continue to be my inspiration for "slow and steady wins the race".
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #219
Senior LCF member

lowcarb 13-

People do this a variety of ways. Some do true alternation, which would mean that if your DD was Friday, then Saturday would be an UD and Sunday a DD, etc.

Since I want to keep my DDs at M, W, Fri, I make one of the weekend days a "MD" (medium day)--the average of your DD and UD. For me, that's about 850 cal. It would be higher for most people.

Dr. J gives this concept also as a way to deal with social situations, too. Since doing consecutive DDs is contrary to the plan, anytime you need to make a change, you can slip in a MD.

For example, I have two Friday celebrations in June involving restaurant meals, so I want to change those Fridays from DDs to UDs. You can have consecutive UDs, but I try to avoid that. What I plan to do is change my Thursday from an UD to a MD--so my week would look like this: Mon-DD; Tues, UD; Wed., DD; Thurs. MD; Friday UD; Sat, DD, Sun UD.

This is more than you asked, so I hope it's not too confusing!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:03 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Leo Way to go!! It is very interesting to see how your pattern of weight loss has changed. Congrats on the 3 lbs!

Lowcarb13
I stick to M,W,F downdays and that has been better for me. I did the true alternation and it was harder. Something about knowing that certain days are downdays is helpful.

I seriously can't believe it, but after a CRAZY weekend I hit 119.8 this morning. I am so excited. I haven't seen that number since September.

So, I am a little on the fence about the HCG. I will continue to research, but seems right now I am losing a little faster after a few good weeks on JUDDD. Maybe I should stay the course.

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

second attempt at DD today. I have a better plan and am more prepared today. Crossing my fingers I'll get closer today
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #223
Senior LCF member

Michelle-
Just my two cents, but for me the key is consistency. One advantage of DDs (for me) is that they actually keep me consistent, whereas when I was trying to eat lower calories daily, I just gave myself too much 'wiggle room' too often without realizing it.

Annie-
Didn't you try a DD yesterday? If you did and stayed low (e.g., 650 or 700 cal), don't try another one today. Give yourself an UD in between. If you stay too low on consecutive days, you aren't doing JUDDD at all.

Even if you didn't hit the 500, it's important to give yourself a higher calorie day.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

no I did a DD on Thursday. Yesterday was higher. If i did 2 DD in a row I might end up killing people
Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #225
Senior LCF member

Sorry, Annie, I just got confused.

We had people here who kept trying to get below 500 and did consecutive days of 700 or 800, and they just burned out, so I wanted to caution you if that's what you were trying.

To encourage you, I'd like to add that 500 seems to be a 'magic number' in a way--i.e., once you get there, it seems to be a range within which you can explore without difficulty. I did 430 cal DDs for about a year, and then recalculated. With my weight loss, my new DD number was 350. But I noticed hardly any difference in going lower, and when I have 'good days,' I even do 250 cal without any problem.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Thank you again everyone for advice. With my busy life and two jobs I don't want to give up on this. So I got to thinking that what might work best for me is to do DD M, W, F and UD T, Th, Sa and a MD on Sundays.

I'm gonna give this a go and see how it works out for me....and then tweek from there.

Now I have another question? How high do you let yourself go on UD's?
Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Sorry, Annie,

To encourage you, I'd like to add that 500 seems to be a 'magic number' in a way--i.e., once you get there, it seems to be a range within which you can explore without difficulty. I did 430 cal DDs for about a year, and then recalculated. With my weight loss, my new DD number was 350. But I noticed hardly any difference in going lower, and when I have 'good days,' I even do 250 cal without any problem.
How much have you lost doing this, if you don't mind my asking? And are you also doing low carb?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

halfway there. 254 calories down. Feeling pretty good. I might make it today!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #229
Senior LCF member

Annie-
Yes! You can do this.

I started losing on generic low carb a few years ago when I hit my high weight of 340. I've spent my entire adult life between 260 and 300. I never realized that I'd gone so high because I just ignored the scale. I had done Atkins way back in '73, so I understood the principles and knew that I had to stay at about 20g carbs a day.

At the time, I was already post-menopausal, and I know now that I was also undiagnosed hypothyroid, so the loss was slow. When I got to about 270, I finally got medicated for my thyroid (by ignoring my primary and going directly to an endo), but when I got to 245, I spent practically all of 2009 just going back and forth between 245 and 255.

I started JUDDD on Dec. 17, 2009 at 254 and this morning I weighed 174, the lowest weight I've seen since I was about 32 (I'm 68). I do low carb. In fact, I eat closer to 'primal'--no grains, dairy, starch, or sweeteners of any kind. I feel great eating this way.

Because of my age and the hypo, I have to severely restrict calories in order to lose. Doing that on a daily basis is practically impossible because it inevitably leads to frustration and burn out. With JUDDD, my UDs feel like an 'orgy' after those DDs
Old 05-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarb13 View Post
So I got through the first DD doing 560 calories...not bad! I will aim to lower it on the next DD.

Now with the weekend here...had a question for all of you. I know someone posted you do down days on M, W, F...which makes a lot of sense to me. Is this what everyone does? Or do you literally go 1 UD 1 DD...over and over?

Thank you again for all of your support!
The first fourteen days of induction are up day down day alternation - then you can move to MWF down days.

Leo: 19_trein.gif Way to go!

Michelle: Glad you losing!!

This is my last down day on induction. I have been keeping them all under 500 - so I'm celebrating tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy myself tomorrow and eat some of the foods I have been craving. I'll probably go real high on calories, but the shake up might be good. I'll weigh in the morning.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

I have made it to 486 calories and still have a jello pack I can have before I decide to go to bed.

I made a huge bowl of shiritaki chicken noodle soup and it saved my life!

I am so glad that this day is almost over, but I did it. I thought for sure it would take me a week to get it down to 500.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #232
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie71 View Post
I have made it to 486 calories and still have a jello pack I can have before I decide to go to bed.

I made a huge bowl of shiritaki chicken noodle soup and it saved my life!

I am so glad that this day is almost over, but I did it. I thought for sure it would take me a week to get it down to 500.
YES SHIRATAKI... perfect for DD
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:34 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
593568p887g2dyd0.gif Good morning everyone!

I'm up at the crack of dawn as I have to leave the house at 5:50 a.m. I thought I had four days off starting tomorrow but it's only two days. However I have a four day weekend This is my last day of induction. No weight loss this week at all - even though I have eaten the same as last week when I lost ten pounds. So, I guess my body is trying to manage that dramatic loss from last week. I'm a good candidate for a whoosh in the near future. Tomorrow I will start my induction all over again - 500 DD/2100 UP alternating days. I'll do this for another two weeks and see how JUDDD is working for me, and how and if I can tweak my plan. For those of you who find DD's difficult, I just wake up in the morning and tell myself, "Just do it!" I try not to think about whether I like it or don't, or if I'm hungry or not. I just "do it" and try not to lose a good day by wishing it were over.

My blood pressure this morning was 123/73 - heart rate 66. This is perfect for me. I remember in the past that JUDDD lowered my blood pressure. This is for me, personally, so I don't recommend anyone go off their bp meds because of my experience. I'm off all bp meds and only take supplements. It could be my body is hanging on to the weight because my blood pressure would go too low with a whoosh right now (homeostasis). Have a great day everyone! I'll check back tonight.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-23-2010 at 02:38 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #234
Senior LCF member

Congratulations, Annie, on a good DD!

Once I'd completed one, when I had difficult DDs, I'd remind myself, "You did this before, and you didn't die of hunger, so you can do it again." That may seem odd (I'm odd), but it always worked for me. Before I ever did a DD, I couldn't conceive of eating that low and surviving!

Redeemed-
You know that a 10 lb loss in a week is not 'normal,' so of course your body is still adjusting to that drop n weight. Just keep on doing what you're doing, and more loss will eventually show on the scale.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Shirataki chicken noodle soup recipe??? Could you give me it? Please

Another DD tomorrow and I have a pack sitting in my fridge.....just don't know where to begin!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

I actually gained a pound this morning. Its been 23 days since I started seriously on any plan, I have have bounced between 2 up and 2 down the entire time. I am really about to chuck it all and just stay fat and accept it.

Last edited by Sunnie71; 05-23-2010 at 07:31 AM..
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Shiritaki Chicken Noodle Soup

16 oz organic free range chicken broth
4 oz tofu shiritaki noodles
1 oz green beans
4 fresh white mushrooms
2 oz chicken breast (I used canned)
celery
garlic
minced onion
dash of soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

121 calories 9g carbs 17g protein 2g fat

there are noodles with no cal no carbs. the ones I have are 20 calories 3 carbs.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

you could leave out the vegetables and meat and get it in at 60 calories for 2 cups.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #239
Senior LCF member

Annie-

When I was going up and down like that, I think my problem was too many calories. I had been losing weight for so long (340 down to 250) that I was gradually giving myself too much 'wiggle room' without realizing it. With JUDDD, I really focused on my total calories (DD and UD), and it's only by staying within my personal limit that I can lose. Low carb works, but only if there's a caloric deficit. Dr. Michael Eades has pointed this out when people 'stall' on low carb.

Personally, I can't use any of those charts or calculators to figure out how many calories I need to lose. It was trial and error.

Could this be a problem for you?

If not, perhaps you need to get checked medically. If you read the 'sticky' at the top of the thyroid thread on this board, you'll see that my own experience is not unique. After I developed a goiter, my primary doctor told me for 5 years that I was 'normal,' even though I was getting progessively serious hypothyroid symptoms. When my fatigue got so bad that I was barely able to drive myself home from work, I finally became pro-active, researched my symptoms, and self-referred to a (fortunately for me) excellent endo.

Again, I'm not saying that you're hypo, but if you've been told that you're not, that diagnosis might be incorrect.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

I had a full medical work up not too long ago because I was having a hard time recovering from the birth of my youngest son. I have no thyroid symptoms and it doesn't run in my family. My doctor was very thorough and I do trust the results of the testing.

I feel great. I have no answer why I am not losing. In the beginning everyone said, oh you aren't eating enough when I was between 1200 and 1400 calories. So I increased it to 1600-1800. Nothing. I have kept below 20g carbs. I have been in ketosis since day 3, accept for this last week when I had a high carb day on Wednesday. I simply have no explanation of why I can't get past this 2 pound up and down.

I will stick out the 2 weeks of this 500 calories UD DD, and see if that jolts something loose. In the meantime, I am still working on the couch to 5k challenge and will keep at it. I guess at the very least I will be the fittest fat person around.