Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
That has happened to me in this thread before too... but I tried again and it went through I think its a glitch?

ETA: The other time I've had that happen was when I tried to post something containing the specific name of a supplement store. I thought name dropping was okay in the new TOS sticky they posted but aparently it wasn't becuase I then got a reprimand email. thinking of it though the name I dropped could be a direct competitor of netrition (the host of these boards) so that makes sense after all.
I got a reprimand when GrammyPat asked me where I get my cute graphics. I told her what website; and got nailed!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Hi Redeemed! By the way--No "Q" in my name--it is an "O" --Looks like it should be a q because of the u--but it is like "oui" in french--nice to see ya--stress city for me--but I am trying to hang in there. So glad you are back with our bunch.

I make my Glu gel by mixing 4 cups water with 2 Tbs powder and blending. I store it in the fridge and add to anything where I want thickness and volume without calories and carbs!
Oh, I will certainly remember the "O". People leave the "e" off of my given name all the time and it's sort of annoying. Yes, you hang in there. I know how rocky it can be.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunnie71
Stats: -47 pounds and many more to go!
WOE: LC and Breastfeeding
that must have been it because I mentioned a store that I am going to go check today to see if the glucomannan powder is sold there.
Sunnie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #184
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Mightymouse-

I wish I had difficulty adding calories--mine add up much too fast
On UDs, I just eat more of my low carb foods, and, as others have mentioned, the added fat adds calories quickly. I stay low carb all the time. You might try eating fattier meat--e.g., hamburgers instead of chicken or pork ribs, etc. I always dress my salads or veggies with olive oil, but not on DDs, so that adds a lot of calories on my UDs. Most of us here have had trouble not going overboard on calories on UDs, so you dilemma is new to us.

Annie-
I think that's a great menu, except that I don't know what that is you have listed for breakfast. I usually eat at least twice on a DD, sometimes three times. As has been posted, we have a 'recipe' thread somewhere in the "Other Plans" section that mainly involves things we've developed for DDs.
I drink black coffee in the morning and hot, green tea throughout the day, and I find that it really helps with the hunger. It helps that I drink both plain with nothing added.

lowcarb13-
I'm perhaps the most aggressively low carb person on this thread, and it's been a process for me. Currently, I'm eating closer to 'primal' (in terms of food, not necessarily philosophy). I don't eat any grains, dairy, or any sweeteners at all. I eat mainly fish, meat, eggs, and vegetables. I have nuts or almond butter, too (but only sparingly--I have none in the house right now).
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Mightymouse-

Annie-
I think that's a great menu, except that I don't know what that is you have listed for breakfast.
Sorry, its a One Minute Muffin. They are a bit high in calories, but the extra fiber goes a long way with me. I just had half this morning. So far so good.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...in-recipe.html

Last edited by Sunnie71; 05-20-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #186
Senior LCF member

How do you make them? I tried the OMM a while back (before JUDDD), but with the flax recipe I got here, it came to about 300 cal., and that was too much for me for too little food (the only thing that fills me up is protein). If you have one for lower calories, let me know the recipe because I'd love to make them!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #187
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
How do you make them? I tried the OMM a while back (before JUDDD), but with the flax recipe I got here, it came to about 300 cal., and that was too much for me for too little food (the only thing that fills me up is protein). If you have one for lower calories, let me know the recipe because I'd love to make them!

The one I make is 300 cals also but i will tell you that one time I forgot the 1TBS of butter and it still came out pretty edible... maybe try one without the butter in it that will save some cals
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I ate HALF the recipe and it is 118 calories. I only use 2 teaspoons of butter.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

1/4 c golden flaxmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sweetener
1 egg
2 teaspoons butter
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I make them even lower in calories by using eggbeaters and replacing half the flaxseed meal with Oat Fiber.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I make them even lower in calories by using eggbeaters and replacing half the flaxseed meal with Oat Fiber.
Ouis: This is the recipe I would opt for as I have read that flax is not good for the thyroid.

ETA: Here's a link from the Thyroid Thread here at LCF: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/th...yroid-pam.html

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-20-2010 at 12:00 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

so is there a big deal between doing 20% or 25% on DD?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

I went to 2 stores looking for that glucomannan powder. I found it in capsules, but no powder. I'll have to order online.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie71 View Post
so is there a big deal between doing 20% or 25% on DD?
No... the key is that for the two week induction your DD must be 500 cals or less. After that you can try 20% on DD first but if you want more or go over adjust it.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

"In The Alternate-Day Diet, Dr. James Johnson explains why 500 calories is considered to be an ideal amount for Down Day consumption during the induction phase. "

Someone have the book? Could you explain why 500 is ideal?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #196

Quote:
"In The Alternate-Day Diet, Dr. James Johnson explains why 500 calories is considered to be an ideal amount for Down Day consumption during the induction phase. "

Someone have the book? Could you explain why 500 is ideal?

I do not have the book with me sorry... I will tell you that it is NON NEGOTIABLE just like the 20g of carbs for Atkins Inductions... its just every other day (or three days a week) for the first two weeks though then you can up it. I haven't read the book lately but I believe Dr. J says this level or lower is necessary for the activation of the SIRT1 gene.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #197
Senior LCF member

Kisha is right, Annie, the magic number of 500 is, according to Dr. J, the maximum number of calories that can be eaten and still activate the SIRT1 gene, which is supposed to help with longevity, etc.

I didn't eat that amount because my calculator number when I started JUDDD was 435 for DDs, so that's what I aimed for. The reason for the 500 is that Dr. J didn't envision this as only a weight loss plan but one that confers other health benefits. The benefits of calorie restriction for health are well documented. So someone could conceivably be doing JUDDD with 1000cal DDs, and that's why he insists on a maximum of 500 cal DD for the first 2 weeks.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

I need to be better prepared for the next DD. Its one thing to plan a menu ahead, its another entirely to do it. 500 calories is really LOW. I am within the limit but I am struggling. I need to be better prepared for Saturday with some greater volume of low cal stuff. Volume being the key here I think.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I need to be better prepared for the next DD. Its one thing to plan a menu ahead, its another entirely to do it. 500 calories is really LOW. I am within the limit but I am struggling. I need to be better prepared for Saturday with some greater volume of low cal stuff. Volume being the key here I think.
That's how I feel. Volume is key for me because I don't have the appetite control the low carbers have. The other night I waited for my one DD meal at 5:00 PM and had half a pound of lean ground beef, onion fried with a bag of cole slaw mix sauteed in chicken broth). This was very filling and could have easily been divided into lunch and supper. Some on this thread use shiritake noodles as a filler. I prefer cabbage that has been fried or sauteed.

ETA: Another meal with lots of volume is scrambled eggs made with real eggs and Egg Beaters. Egg Beaters are low in calories and give volume and weight to scrambled eggs.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-20-2010 at 04:39 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

See, I had been strict LC until yesterday. 19 days and I was just so disheartened to have lost the same 2 pounds over and over. The last 6 days alone the scale has moved exactly point 2 - POINT 2! So I overcarbed yesterday (138 for the day) and then started this today. I didn't have the added benefit of appetite control because of the excess carbs from yesterday. So, I am under the 500 as of right now, but I definitely need to prepare better for the next DD and do LC tomorrow on the UD.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Basically, at this moment, I feel like crap
Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Basically, at this moment, I feel like crap
I go to bed early on DD's. You may be surprised at how you feel tomorrow morning when you wake up. Alot of us are not hungry at all when we wake up on an UD. We still have to use discipline not to binge. Some of us do really well on DD's and then lose it on UD's. Controlled UD's will be key in your success as you progress on JUDDD.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

I won't be posting much over the weekend. I have a 14 hour shift tomorrow, 12 hour shift on Sat. and Sun. Then four days off, which is so nice. Have a great weekend everyone! I'll post my official end of induction weight on Sunday morning before going to work.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I won't be posting much over the weekend. I have a 14 hour shift tomorrow, 12 hour shift on Sat. and Sun. Then four days off, which is so nice. Have a great weekend everyone! I'll post my official end of induction weight on Sunday morning before going to work.
Gosh girl you work SO MUCH!! You're a soldier.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #205
Senior LCF member

Annie-

I don't think I could do DDs at all if I didn't low carb. I had been low carbing for quite some time before I began JUDDD, so the initial DDs weren't such a shock. What's disheartening is that there doesn't seem to be any way for me to predict how easy or difficult they'll be. Sometimes it's a breeze, and other times I struggle all day.

What I've done is entirely given up the concept of "meals" on DDs because that makes me consider too much food. I usually have 2-3 'snacks' of no more than 150 cal each. They are mainly protein--e.g., egg white 'omelets' with chopped spinach in the microwave (60 cal) or sardines (150 cal) or salmon (150). Fish is lower in calories than meat and gives even better protein per ounce, so I stay with that on DDs.

You are right that you just need to experiment and see what works best for you. For example, I can rarely handle the 'one meal' approach because I get real anxiety at the idea I can't eat all day. Yet, occasionally I've done that simply because I wasn't hungry (very rare).

Redeemed-
What a work schedule! But those days off will be some relief, I'm sure. Best wishes for a great weigh in.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
So I am starting my first DD today. Wish me luck!
lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was a nightmare of agony. I was totally unprepared. I ended up with 625 calories and I didn't sleep a wink. I am going to the store today for supplies so I can be more prepared for tomorrow.
Thank you for all the good tips. I have been researching calorie cycling, and some other stuff and I think this might work if I get better prepared.

Good luck lc13!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 207.5/197.5/149
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
Start Date: restart JUDDD 7/4/14
Just stopping by to say hello! Have a huge project at work and I haven't even been able to check our thread until today.

DD today and I might even try an AWF (with water and coffee with the low calorie coconut creamer), since I am not sure if I will be able to take a break for lunch!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #209
Senior LCF member

lowcarb13

Good luck with your DD! I'm doing one today myself, as my usual DDs are M, W, Fri. It's only just close to noon here, and I've already had 250 cal, but that's typical for me, as I tend to be a morning eat for some reason.

One of the nicest things that has happened to me with JUDDD is gaining control of my relationship with food and getting insights into my body's preferred schedule.

Annie-

The key to JUDDD (and any specific WOE, I think) is preparation, preparation, preparation. I always know exactly what I'm going to eat on a DD and have that food ready. This way, I don't have to think about food on a DD because too much focus on food always leads me to hunger

I think once you get the DDs under control, you'll realize that it was worth it, not only for the weight loss, but I've gained such a sense of control over food--for the first time in my life. I never had this with any other program.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
ok...so not quite sure I'm gonna make it through the day!!!
lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote