Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
I'm in...I want to give this a shot.
lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #152
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling

I'm just curious since you appear to have so little to lose, why you want to do something this 'radical'?

I'm a real advocate for JUDDD, but I don't think it's for everyone. It could be an ideal plan for you, but I'm not sure why you want to do it.

As I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago, I would not be doing this if I could lose another way!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

I have been on a very strict Atkins 72 since January and have only lost 10 pounds. I am about to give up. At this point I am willing to try anything!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunnie71
Stats: -47 pounds and many more to go!
WOE: LC and Breastfeeding
Sorry, I've been lurking and now am butting in with a quick question.

Someone mentioned glucomannan gel shakes?? Curiosity bit me. Any comments or info or experiences with this stuff?

Thanks...(sneaking back out of the room)
Sunnie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #155
Senior LCF member

lowcarb13

I came to JUDDD for a similar reason (although I was virtually stalled for about a year), but I have medical issues that require me to seriously restrict calories. Do you have any idea why you're not losing on Atkins?--which does work. I'm only asking because I don't want you to be frustrated with JUDDD, too.

Annie-
Ouis is our poster who writes about those shakes. I hope she'll jump in here. I never do shakes because I need "mouth" food--i.e., no matter how filling they are, I seem to want to chew something!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

No! That's the worst part! I lost 25 pounds 18 months ago doing a very lax DANDR. Of course I stopped and gained it all back.

So when I started back up in January I started a strict DANDR hoping to take off the weight quick and then learn how to maintain. Problem is after two weeks of strict induction I only lost 1.5 pounds. I researched a little and decided to try Atkins 72. First week I dropped 6 pounds! I was thrilled....thought I found what was going to work. Nope! Stalled! Since Feb 10th I have been on strict Atkins 72 and only lost 8.5 pounds. Total of 10 pounds since starting in January.

I thought it might be my birth control. Had Mirena IUD....had it removed a month ago...and am now hormone free. But there has been no change.

And before you ask.....had all thyroid tests done! Not it! Gluten test. Not it! Exercise....yes I do. And I work two full time jobs. Activity level is up there!

So if I don't find something soon I'm going to give up.
GOAL!!! 130lbs
Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

lowcarb13- I am having the same trouble. I have lost and gained the same 2 pounds for the last 19 days. Everyone said drop the sweetener. I used 2 tsp a day for coffee, but I went ahead and dropped it. Nothing. Then they said drop this drop that. I did and was down to eating meat and salad only. OMG who can live like that?

I dropped 60 pounds 3 years ago, but put it back on after getting pregnant. I remember when I was losing before having days when I would just not feel like eating so I didn't. I saw this thread and it felt like maybe I was doing some version of this plan when I was losing back then. I am considering shifting gears and doing this in conjunction with the LC and see what happens.

And I also have no medical reasons why this isn't working either.

Last edited by Sunnie71; 05-19-2010 at 06:53 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
651171i085p8my3i.gif Annie and Lowcarb13. This woe is not for the faint-hearted, but there are many pluses. Welcome aboard!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Attachment 30480 Annie and Lowcarb13. This woe is not for the faint-hearted, but there are many pluses. Welcome aboard!
Thank you!

Ok, so what if I you don't get to your full calories on up days? I struggle with this now trying to get up to my BMR. I can manage about 1700 calories then I struggle. On the LC I am simply not that hungry.

I really don't see me having a problem with the 500 calorie days.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 AM   #160
Senior LCF member

lowcarb13-
I've read about a lot of women having difficulty losing because of the Mirena, and perhaps it will take longer than a month to get you losing again (I don't know; I'm just guessing). Are you on any other BC? I ask because there are women on these boards who were assured that their BC pills did not affect weight loss, but they researched on their own and found out that there actually was a problem.

Annie-
You don't have to worry about reaching any specific calorie level on UDs. Dr. J explains that his calculator is mainly for DDs (I don't know why he even puts in UDs). Most of us have had to find a level that we can lose at on UDs.
I don't hold much stock in "eating to BMR" because all those calculators are flawed. Every individual is unique. If I used those calculators, I'd weigh about 400 lbs now because they all give me far too many calories.

For both of you, make sure you read the 'sticky' at the top of the thyroid thread on these boards. Just having been assured by a doctor that you have no thyroid issues is no guarantee that you don't. I went undiagnosed for about 5 years because my primary assured me that thyroid was not a problem when I had very obvious symptoms. And most of us on that thread have had similar difficulty finding a doctor who is good at diagnosing and treating thyroid.

I'm not trying to be a downer--I just don't want people to go through unnecessary frustration. Losing weight is difficult enough without physical issues that may interfere with loss.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

2182652a9mw8xs57n.gif

Annie and Lowcarb13: Here is a link to the JUDDD website:

The UpDayDownDay Diet™ and eResveratrol ? Dr. James Johnson ? SIRT1 Gene Activation The nice thing about this information is that it's free. There is a book you can buy, but most of the info you will need to do JUDDD you can get from the website. I had doctors tell me most of my life I didn't have a thyroid problem even though I had all the symptoms. When the lab ranges changed that most doctors use to diagnose, I was finally able to get some much needed thyroid meds.

Well, this is day 11 of induction (DD). I have been keeping carefully within my calorie guidelines. Down 10 pounds last week - up 1 pound today even though I'm doing the same thing as last week. If I can get through this week with a 2 pound loss, I'll be happy. Official end of week weigh day will be Monday. Have a nice day JUDDDing everyone!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #162
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mightymouse
Stats: 164 (4/2010)/156/135
WOE: vlc
Start Date: May 2010
Question for those JUDDDD experts When I tried JUDDD before, I found it hard to get my calories up on my up days unless I add in a lot of carbs I know for me personally, I feel better, am losing more, and look better (skin, etc) when my carbs are really low...like they avg around 15 when I track them in *********** and that isn't a struggle. I thought adding the alternating calories might help me break through a plateau (Have been off the boards for awhile...lost 20 lbs, then plateaued, lost 8 lbs & am plateauing again).

So...for those of you who do this plan AND keep your carbs low...what do you add in to get your cals up on up days/ Thanks!
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

thank you for the information. I think I am going to try this today. I pre planned a DD menu for the day, and we will see how it goes.

Thanks again for the good information
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
carbs low...what do you add in to get your cals up on up days/ Thanks!
I am not an expert on this JUDDD thing, but adding calories without too many extra carbs is pretty easy. Cheese, cream in your coffee, extra portion of a not so lean meat, cook everything in butter. Fat has a lot of calories, and has the extra benefit of curbing your cravings.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

I am currently on NO birth control. I was on BC since 16...with the exception of my pregnancy with my son. So this is the first time I am hormone free!!! I was on a BC pill when I lost the weight last time on Atkins.

I was very frustrated with Mirena...I was having MANY of the side effects the doctors SWEAR aren't related to Mirena. I read a lot of other peoples complaints online and discovered I was having ALL the same problems as them. So the decision to remove it was easy. It's been a month. I feel a million times better...I felt wonderful an hour after removal! No more extreme bloating feeling...and I have so much more energy.

Now I am trying to find my niche. I tried two shakes and a meal...and really liked it. Then searching some more...I stumbled on this...and really want to give it a try. I wanted to read a little more today...and then do my first DD tomorrow.

Using the calculator on the website...my down day should be 357 calories. I like the EAS carb control shakes...they are 110 calories each. I was thinking of doing three of those tomorrow...and then water and tea. Does this sound right? Help me prepare!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

I read that it said "shakes" and I cringed at the flashbacks of Slim Fast days in the 1980's.

I am doing my first DD today. Here is the menu I have prepared. Y'all bag on it if you think I am wrong somewhere

Breakfast
1/2 OMM
1/2 T Strawberry Cream cheese
1 c coffee with 3 T whole milk and 2 tsp splenda

Lunch
Wendy's Garden Sensations side salad with 2 T litehouse bleu cheese dressing

Dinner
4 oz mahi mahi
4 oz broccoli florets
4 oz petite green beans
1/2 oz medium cheddar cheese

Calories for the day=512
Carbs=28 Net Carbs =19
Protein=25g 19%
Fat=33g 59%

Last edited by Sunnie71; 05-20-2010 at 07:29 AM..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

mightymouse:
708718jtpif35jly.gif

On page 4 of this thread - post nuber 117 there's a link to a radio interview with Dr. Johnson that might be of interest to some of the new JUDDDers.

You menu looks healthy, Annie. I'm not doing low carb but I agree with your advise to increase fat for added calories.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-20-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

I was also curious...who is doing this low carb? Who is not?

Would love to hear more about all of you and what you are doing to be successful. Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Lady with asthma helped with JUDDD

I have posted this before but thought I would post it again for motivation. We have had JUDDDers who also have posted their asthma was helped with Dr. Johnson's alternate day diet.

lowcarb13: I only count calories - and JUDDD has worked for me. I do not have the advantage of appetite control that the others who do lc have, but that is my choice. We support each other's individual way of JUDDDing. There are various ways to tweak JUDDD to suit your preference.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-20-2010 at 08:13 AM..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

I am going to stay low carb...just cause I feel sick when I eat carbs. But I am happy to hear that some are succesfful with out lowcarbing!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarb13 View Post
I am going to stay low carb...just cause I feel sick when I eat carbs. But I am happy to hear that some are succesfful with out lowcarbing!
I think staying low carb will be to your advantage, and you'll find JUDDD easier than those of us who just do straight calorie restriction. Kisha started a JUDDD recipe thread that should be down the line from the JUDDD thread here on the Other Diet Plan forum. Most of those recipes are low carb and low calorie. Feel free to post whatever menus or recipes works for you on that thread also.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-20-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Hi all--this is just a drive-by--I will be away again all weekend

welcome to our newbies. JUDDD is something to be experimented with. Some of us (me!) wait until dinner to eat our calories and then have a substantial meal--others eat small amounts thruout the day--

Someone asked about my glucomannan shakes. They are not shakes in the sense of a caloric shakes. My shakes have no carbs or calories and I use them simply as a way of getting through til dinner with a sense of "something" in my stomach. I use crystal light, ice, water and some Glucomannan gel that I have prepared in advance. blend until thick. I take these to work in a shake container and drink some when I get hungry. Helps me on the DDs. sometimes I will add about 20 calories worth of protein powder before blending just so they have a little more nourishment--and makes them a little creamier.

I am not doing my JUDDD cycles right now--I am doing Atkins 72 because I am travelling a great deal, and my parents are ill and when I do JUDDD I need to have a great deal of peace and quiet. Hope to be back on board in a week or two. JUDDD really works!

See you all next week

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

where can I buy this glucomannan gel? I am searching it and it comes back as a powder. So I assume you buy the powder, add water and get a gel?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie71 View Post
where can I buy this glucomannan gel? I am searching it and it comes back as a powder. So I assume you buy the powder, add water and get a gel?
Here's a link on Low Carb Friends that addresses glucomannan gel recipes. It seems you have to make the gel from powder:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...an-powder.html
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

thanks, now if I can find the stuff at a store. I hate buying stuff online. I'm going to check the whole foods store.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

ok something weird just happened. I tried to reply then it said that my post would be posted when the moderated approved it. weird and creepy
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
ok something weird just happened. I tried to reply then it said that my post would be posted when the moderated approved it. weird and creepy
Hmmmm....that's strange. Let's see if my posts makes it through.

ETA: Yep, it did. Maybe that was just a strange fluke that your post "didn't make it."

Also: Hi Quis! I hope you're okay. I understand the stress of needing to be there for elderly parents. It's all-consuming, that's for sure. Take care and come back when you're ready.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-20-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

I didn't even swear
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #179
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
That has happened to me in this thread before too... but I tried again and it went through I think its a glitch?

ETA: The other time I've had that happen was when I tried to post something containing the specific name of a supplement store. I thought name dropping was okay in the new TOS sticky they posted but aparently it wasn't becuase I then got a reprimand email. thinking of it though the name I dropped could be a direct competitor of netrition (the host of these boards) so that makes sense after all.

Last edited by Ilpirata; 05-20-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Hi Redeemed! By the way--No "Q" in my name--it is an "O" --Looks like it should be a q because of the u--but it is like "oui" in french--nice to see ya--stress city for me--but I am trying to hang in there. So glad you are back with our bunch.

I make my Glu gel by mixing 4 cups water with 2 Tbs powder and blending. I store it in the fridge and add to anything where I want thickness and volume without calories and carbs!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote