Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Good Morning JUDDDers!

Well, yesterday was a super tough DD for me, but I made it. I went to bed hungry and woke up hungry. I am not usually hungry in the morning, but since I was and it's an UD I ate! Feeling better now!

Okay, so I have been researching the heck out of the HCG. There are a few things that concern me. 1) What is the long term success? I can't seem to find alot of info about people that have kept the weight off long term 2) Messes with TOM. I am VERY regular and I want to keep it that way. 3) I read Pounds & Inches cover to cover and he very specifically says people with thyroid issues will lose slower. So what's the point?? LOL. 4) I will literally not be able to have a social life AT ALL while doing it. There would be no way. The WOE is so specific there is NO room for leeway. 5) Although my husband will support whatever I decide he is worried about it and doesn't want me to do it.

The other thing is that I am losing weight right now and haven't been very strict on the weekends AT ALL. So makes me think what would happen if I stepped it up? Maybe, I would get results a little faster if I had smaller UD's on the weekends.

Leo Thanks for your 2 cents regarding the HCG. It really made me look into it more before jumping in. I just need to be patient and do what I am doing. I will get there.

Michelle

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
NoSugarShell....are you doing low carb too? Or just counting calories?

I had a DD yesterday...630 calories. Still not at 500...but I was really struggling last night.

lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunnie71
Stats: -47 pounds and many more to go!
WOE: LC and Breastfeeding
I am convinced that the key to the 500 cal DD is VOLUME. Find all the low cal food you can, add it up the night before, and just graze.

I came in at 496 cals for yesterday. That's 2 DD down for me. I am pretty sure I can stick to this. I am cycling 1250 calories average for the week, and trying to make every UD a different number. Today I have 1850. I am keeping the calories low for a month to see if I lose anything since I wasn't losing on low carb at 1400-1600.

today is day 6.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarb13 View Post
NoSugarShell....are you doing low carb too? Or just counting calories?

I had a DD yesterday...630 calories. Still not at 500...but I was really struggling last night.

I am doing alot lower carb now than I was and it seems to be helping. I tend to eat pretty high carb on the weekends though. I am going to cut that out and stick to lower carb. My low carb is usually around 50 or so on UD's and 20-25 on DD's. That is only during the week...LOL. That is getting ready to change, because I am so ready to hit goal.

Last edited by NoSugarShell; 05-25-2010 at 07:53 AM..
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Michelle: You are wise to really think the HCG diet through before doing it. If a person only gets 500 calories every day for the first phase, I would think they would lose weight whether or not they did the HCG shots. My pastor is doing that diet and I'm so concerned for him. He must be 400 pounds, so I know he was desperate. However, he has a tendency to lose about 30-40 pounds on whatever diet he does, then he goes off and gains more. I know when I did JUDDD in the past I would not lose the weeks I gave myself two UD's in a row during the week. We're all so different and that's why I like the way we can plan JUDDD to suit our own individual metabolisms.

Annie: Way to go on your successful DD's. I totally agree: volume is key to my successful DD's.

lowcarb13 I won't tell you that DD's get easier as you go along. Some people say that they find that DD's get easier. I found that once I realized I could do them without parishing, I simply plowed my way through them. It's the fact that I really enjoy my UD's that keeps me on plan.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-25-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #276
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Michelle-
If you're losing and still not watching weekends, I'd stay with what you're doing. When I don't watch on the weekends, I have no loss at all!

Another consideration is that although I know you've checked this with your doctor and many people are put on HCG by their doctor, someone inquired about it for hypos on the thyroid thread a while back. Pam didn't know anything about it, so she surveyed a bunch of doctors she knows all over the country, and the consensus was that they pretty much agreed that hypos should not do this. You can probably still find that thread somewhere. That's more than 2 cents, but I wanted to mention it

lowcarb 13-
Quite a few people who posted here had several attempts before they managed to get as low as 500 cal. For me, the key has always been preparation, preparation, preparation. Even after doing this for more than 15 months, I always know in advance exactly what I'll eat on a DD. There's no way I could do it if I counted as I went through the day. I know in advance, and almost always stick to my plan exactly. The only exception is when I have something I can substitute that's exactly the same in terms of calories and protein.

Unlike Annie and Redeemed, I don't focus on volume because I try to get in as much protein as possible (I find that controls my appetite better), mainly because I want to lose fat and not muscle, and I sort of follow the tenets of Protein Power.

Last edited by Leo41; 05-25-2010 at 08:30 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Annie I wish I could post a picture of the organic soup I take to work with me on DD's, but the name of the soup is also the name of the website. Soooo, I don't care to get an infraction over it. My point is that I have found a very "heavy" soup made with root veggies, barley, a little wild rice and a few slivers of cashews. It's only 63 calories for 8 ounces. I sip on three or four cups during the day along with about 3 hard boiled eggs and a small orange. This helps me get through a 14 hour shift. When I have a DD on my day off, I wait until 5:00, PM or so to eat. I try to make that meal as "heavy" as possible, so I can sleep through the night.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

tomorrow is the 3rd DD and day 7. If I make the 500 tomorrow that puts me at cycling 1260 calories average for the 7 days. If I can't lose weight on that then I have a problem.
Sunnie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #279
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie71 View Post
tomorrow is the 3rd DD and day 7. If I make the 500 tomorrow that puts me at cycling 1260 calories average for the 7 days. If I can't lose weight on that then I have a problem.

you're right. I predict you will see a loss on the scale morning following third DD. If you don't I will suggest giving it at least one or two more weeks... if STILL NO loss you've CERTAINLY got something medical going on. That said, I bet you lose just fine!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
you're right. I predict you will see a loss on the scale morning following third DD. If you don't I will suggest giving it at least one or two more weeks... if STILL NO loss you've CERTAINLY got something medical going on. That said, I bet you lose just fine!
From your typing fingers to God's BB!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

1999967b4z7e6sa1g.gif Hope you all have a good day JUDDDing. I went up a little too high yesterday - positive self-talk and all! Will just have hard boiled eggs today to try to drop a pound overnight. I won't be posting today - long work day. Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #282
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

If you just try to manipulate the scale (i.e., only eggs to 'drop a pound overnight'), you're going to do harm in the long run. As you know, a pound of fat is 3200 calories, so no one can lose that overnight. That's a decent loss for a WEEK. Yes, you can possibly drop water by eating VLC, but what difference does that make in the long term? Your body seeks homeostasis, so any lost water will quickly return.

I'm not trying to preach at you, but I think we should be realistic about weight loss.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning everyone!

I am still bouncing that point 2 pounds. Its weird.

DD today. Today is day 7.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #284
Senior LCF member

Annie-

On JUDDD, I get more weight fluctuations (water) during a single week than I got when I was just doing generic low carb. It helps me resist weighing except once a week because when that scale bounces up during the week, I get very disheartened.

I know you're very worried about not losing, but since you've committed to 2 weeks at a minimum at your current calorie levels, why not wait to weigh?

Before menopause, I actually weighed only once a month so that I could avoid all the fluctuations related to TOM. I would weigh mid-point of my cycle. That was actually the best method because I always saw a nice drop on the scale. Alas, with menopause and hypothyroid, I have to monitor things more closely now, and that's the only reason I weigh weekly.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Annie-
I know you're very worried about not losing, but since you've committed to 2 weeks at a minimum at your current calorie levels, why not wait to weigh?
I know. I try to skip it, but its HARD not to hop on that thing constantly! Also, I have been tracking at physics.com so I can see an average weight. I was thinking that would help me to see the average and not be so disappointed. So far its not working

I am totally not giving up. This has become a mission at this point. That is a complete switch for me. Historically, if I didn't see results fast I would just go get a cheeseburger I feel pretty good about that even without the pounds gone.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

20g or less carbs on DD is difficult. I am keeping is to less than 25% and that seems to be working better than aiming for the less than 20grams. Low cal vegetables in volume is a good filler when I am sick of meat, so I can get all that fiber and not really be concerned with going over 20g as long as I am getting less than 25% total. It seems to be ok because the 500 limit for the day hasn't been as challenging as it was the first day.

Yesterday my UD was planned for 1875 calories, but I wasn't very hungry at dinner. I got close, but didn't quite make it.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #287
Senior LCF member

Annie-

I wouldn't worry about the few extra grams of carbs from veggies on a DD. As carbs go, they're the healthiest choice.

I have the opposite problem. Perhaps because of age and/or hypo, I actually feel best at about 30g carbs daily, but on a DD, I usually wind up with <10g because of my focus on protein!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Annie-

I wouldn't worry about the few extra grams of carbs from veggies on a DD. As carbs go, they're the healthiest choice.

I have the opposite problem. Perhaps because of age and/or hypo, I actually feel best at about 30g carbs daily, but on a DD, I usually wind up with <10g because of my focus on protein!
I tried with the extra protein on DD, but with so few calories I was feeling sick with the meat/egg. I don't know why. My tummy feels better with the broth and veg.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #289
Senior LCF member

Annie-

One of the nice things about DDs is that it helps us (I speak for me, but I think this is true of others) identify what works for us and what doesn't.

I absolutely can't do VLC long term--I actually feel ill--but it seems to work best for me on DDs. I've tried the volume thing, but I actually get hungry with so many carbs compared to calories.

That's why we try to share our experiences on this board. Perhaps my way will help someone, and your way will help someone else. Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

Apart from weight loss, the best thing about JUDDD for me has been highlighting all these small things about how I deal with food psychologically and how my body handles food physically.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

I totally agree. It helps in recognizing the 'problems' I had dealing with food now that I have to micro manage it so closely on DDs.

I have the opposite experience that you do. DDs seam to work better for me with more fibery carbs like veg if I keep the carbs under 25%. UD work better with VLC like under 20 grams, to control hunger and cravings on the DDs.

It is amazing to me how different we all are yet we are all the same species.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarb13
Stats: 168/159/130
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: 1/19/10
Another DD for me. So one thing that is working for me is Diet Dr Pepper. It keeps me full for so long. But I have NEVER been a soda drinker. When I started VLC I tried Diet Dr Pepper and found it curbed my sweet tooth and filled me instead of snacking. That being said.....I would only have about 4oz maybe once a week....or once every two weeks.

But on my last DD I had some for dessert when I didn't think I was going to make it to bedtime. And I'm drinking some right now to tide me over until I have a salad this evening.

Is this bad? I had about 8 oz each DD. So still not that much.....but it really fills me.

What do you think?
GOAL!!! 130lbs
lowcarb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #292
Senior LCF member

lowcarb 13

If it works for you, do it! I absolutely love diet Dr. Pepper.

But what happened to me right after I started DDs is that I discovered that all artificial sweeteners actually increase my hunger. I didn't notice it when I was eating more food, but it was very apparent on those DDs. From my reading, I've learned that some people's bodies process AS exactly the same as sugar--i.e., invoke an insulin response.

That helped me give up all AS--but I must admit that one thing I miss is my diet Dr. Pepper. I used to have it as a 'treat.'
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

I drink some diet soda on DD just to get through. I don't see a problem with it. Do what works.

I like Diet cream soda. So good!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
New here!

Hello!

I have been on this diet since May 1, have not stepped on the scale yet but notice my tummy is not so big!

I have 2 questions after reading the posts the past couple days:

What is VLC?

Can someone please post the soup recipe mentioned that had veggies, barley and rice in it? I do not need a pic of it, just the recipe.

Thank You Ever So Much!

leonak

Last edited by leonak; 05-26-2010 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: errors
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Hello!

What is VLC?

Can someone please post the soup recipe mentioned that had veggies, barley and rice in it? I do not need a pic of it, just the recipe.

Thank You Ever So Much!

leonak
VLC=very low carb

the soup was purchased. I don't think there was a recipe.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Just finishing up day 7.
497 calories for today, and i made it through the first week. We shall see if the scale gods were good to me in the morning.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #297
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie71 View Post
Just finishing up day 7.
497 calories for today, and i made it through the first week. We shall see if the scale gods were good to me in the morning.
I predict success! Remember though that Leo, myself and a few others didn't get rolling into a few weeks in... can't wait to hear your result!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

leonak: 651171i085p8my3i.gif I'll post the ingredients of that soup tomorrow. I don't have the recipe, but maybe you can figure out the measurements to arrive at 63 calories for 8 ounces.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-26-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Old 05-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

428270sh42acnblr.gif Good morning JUDDDers! Looks like everyone is making it through their rotations. I brought 7 hard boiled eggs to work with me yesterday and made it through most of my shift when someone brought me a very small salad and a sample of grilled steak. I ate it because I didn't think it would my do my DD any damage, and I didn't want to hurt the person's feelings. It was just a little higher calorie count than I planned. It couldn't have been more than 150 calories.

lowcarb13 There is a Zevia brand of Dr. Pepper flavor. It's all natural. I tried the orange flavor yesterday and it wasn't too bad. It did help somewhat with the boredom of eating all those hard boiled eggs.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning! I am awake and trying to get these people of mine out of bed.

I am afraid to weigh this morning. I have worked so hard this week and if nothing was lost I am afraid I might give up. I think I might skip the weighing for another week.