Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
April JUDDD-We can do hard things!

April JUDDD--We can do hard things!
JUDDD/Alternate Day Diet Thread (We can do hard things....)
Getting Started

There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr JOhnsons website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnsons site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management

The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow. The book will detail useful techniques for down day hunger management.

Diet Stress

Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood

We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day

On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day

It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight

How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

Down Day Recipes

It is important to choose a shake which is personally tolerable and satisfying. There are a number on the market including Atkins Advantage, Slim Fast Optima, MetRx. For weight loss diet, it is highly advisable that for the first two weeks, you consume only shakes on the down day.

Delicious, easy, very low calorie recipes are available in the soon to be published book, The Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™.

What People On The Diet Have To Say
“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.
“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.
“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.
“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.
For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Wow!!! Already April!!

Just wanted to say good morning to all! Hope it was OK to start the new thread!

Did lose a few pounds in March, but now I am concentrating on low carb JUDDD---need to stay away from the candy this weekend!!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Thanks for starting this month for us, janetaz! Despite all the talk of April Fool on TV and radio, I forgot we had a new month

Ouis-
I just recently read exactly what you did--that low carbers who want to temporarily increase carbs should eat the carbs without fat and a minimum of protein AND keep the calories within one's normal range.

But what's a bagel without cream cheese or butter??? (Actually, I love 'everything' bagels and could eat them as is.)

Next time I eat carbs, I plan to try this. I love rice and beans, and it seems to me that if I make it just with salsa (rather than sauteed onions in olive oil) it would fit the bill of being mainly carbs.

Last edited by Leo41; 04-02-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Leo! Rice and Beans and salsa--yum--now you have set me to thinkin!

Pineapple. have been missing that, and the primal peeps like it

Maybe some Dreamfields with FF pasta sauce--I actually have a LC and lowcal pasta sauce from Whole Foods called Monte Bene. IF the stats are to be believed, only 24 cals and 1 net carb per 1/2 cup

I too adore Everything Bagels--toasted (and maybe (boo) a tiny spray of FF butter

I am going to keep making a list, lol. I can't carb up again for a few weeks, but when I am ready, I am going to organize it completely!

this is fun!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Happy April everyone... I too completely forgot about starting a new thread LOL.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

couple of things--

a summary of an interesting article--I have been increasing the amount of psyllium based foods I eat (psyllium added to pancake/OMM/etc recipes) and have noticed a LOT more appetite control. Then I ran into this article!

Newsletter Details
A new study shows that psyllium fiber taken before a meal has a significant impact on multiple appetite signals within your digestive tract several hours after the meal – helping to maintain a sense of not being hungry.

Additionally, the fiber-enriched meal helped to lower blood sugar several hours after the meal which helps metabolism, body weight, and insulin function.

The combination of psyllium fiber with high protein provided a significant boost to glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1). In addition to boosting the full feeling GLP-1 improves the beta cell health of the pancreas while helping insulin sensitivity.

Signals within your digestive tract not only have a powerful influence on food cravings they also have a major effect on your metabolism. Keeping them in better working order is vital to the ease with which you eat healthy. Boosting the fiber intake with supplemental fiber is an easy way to improve your metabolism and reduce your inappropriate desire for food.

I have certainly been experiencing a substantial reduction in appetite relative to psyllium intake. gotta keep the water intake up tho too!

Secondly, Leo--I just now went and read the discussion over at MDA about carb cycling. Very interesting, and I have read about the PSMF before. I can see experimenting with it--but I would have to be really really careful. I think I will watch that thread for awhile. Old menopausal thyroid cases seem to have different experiences, lol--altho I keep hearing we do need a few more carbs to keep that T3 function.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
I have been using psyllium powder for regularity, and I didn't have any today (a DD), and I notice that I'm especially hungry, so perhaps I need to use it every day.

I don't think I'm enough of an athlete for PSMF, but I think a solid carb meal every 4-6 weeks is good for the body. Unlike you, I won't create a list because I think that would get me 'carbing" every other day
Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Ouis-I have tried that pasta sauce, it's good, but you might want to add some spices, depending on how you normally eat tomato sauce.

Popping in for a moment, just came home from work, and the errands begin!!

Hope I can come back to the thread tonight!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

Scale showed the same as last week--181, and I was disappointed because I was SO hungry yesterday (yet kept to <400 cal) that I was sure I'd see a drop this morning.

However, it's good to have a record because as I looked back, I can see that I've dropped 10 lbs in the past two months (including a 2-week cruise!), so I really can't complain.

I'm now in 'normal sizes' (rather than 'plus') and that's an accomplishment for someone who spent almost her entire adult life at 270-320lbs! I ordered a new pair of pants last week and had to return them because they were too big, something that never happened to the 'old me'
Old 04-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Leo....You're doing SO WELL! It must feel so liberating to be where you are right now. I'm sure these last 10lb you want to lose are going to be a struggle as your body fights to keep on the weight, but if anyone can do it, you can.

I decided to weigh in this morning rather than Monday after two UD's. I've lost 6.5lb since Monday and I'm pleased with that. I know it's water weight since I've been bouncing around in the same 10lb area forever, but it's the lowest I've been since last June and anxious to hit the 260's which I haven't seen in about a year and half. I'll weigh once more next Thursday morning before I leave on vacation.

A little worried about this weekend. Filling Easter eggs with candy today for the Easter egg hunt for the grandkids tomorrow. My mom is coming over to spend the night tonight and watch the Final Four games and has requested pizza and having brunch here for the family tomorrow after church. Just gonna COUNT THOSE CALORIES and stop when I get to the magic numbers. First real temptation I've had this week, but don't want to lose ground now.

In the 80's here and have felt a little water retention these past couple of days with the unexpected heat too. The heat always makes me retain fluid til I get used to it.

Well, not sure I'll get back here til Monday morning....lots to do today and tomorrow, but wishing everyone a blessed Easter/Passover. Hope you don't get sidetracked by the Easter Bunny!!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
couple of things--

a summary of an interesting article--I have been increasing the amount of psyllium based foods I eat (psyllium added to pancake/OMM/etc recipes) and have noticed a LOT more appetite control. Then I ran into this article!

Newsletter Details
A new study shows that psyllium fiber taken before a meal has a significant impact on multiple appetite signals within your digestive tract several hours after the meal – helping to maintain a sense of not being hungry.

Additionally, the fiber-enriched meal helped to lower blood sugar several hours after the meal which helps metabolism, body weight, and insulin function.

The combination of psyllium fiber with high protein provided a significant boost to glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1). In addition to boosting the full feeling GLP-1 improves the beta cell health of the pancreas while helping insulin sensitivity.

Signals within your digestive tract not only have a powerful influence on food cravings they also have a major effect on your metabolism. Keeping them in better working order is vital to the ease with which you eat healthy. Boosting the fiber intake with supplemental fiber is an easy way to improve your metabolism and reduce your inappropriate desire for food.

I have certainly been experiencing a substantial reduction in appetite relative to psyllium intake. gotta keep the water intake up tho too!

Secondly, Leo--I just now went and read the discussion over at MDA about carb cycling. Very interesting, and I have read about the PSMF before. I can see experimenting with it--but I would have to be really really careful. I think I will watch that thread for awhile. Old menopausal thyroid cases seem to have different experiences, lol--altho I keep hearing we do need a few more carbs to keep that T3 function.
Ouis...couple of questions. What is PSMF? And what form do you buy psyllium fiber in? Where do I find it? I like that it's supposed to help with insulin sensitivity.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Sherrie--PSMF is a protein sparing modified fast. A guy named Lyle McDonald, a bodybuilder, wrote a lot about it. There are actually several threads about it on LCF, so if you search for them you can read about it. It is sort of like a protein heavy *******-like temporary fast--which you interrupt with some very low fat high carb days to "refeed" your liver with glycogen (if I have it correctly). The proponents of it say it burns fat like crazy, but who knows how good it is for you. I also think it is hard to stick to, a temporary thing--Leo and I and others have made use of the concepts by going VLC and then once a month or so, having a free-ish meal or two, which is supposed to help hypothyroids keep their weight loss going--

Leo--don't despair. I really do think you are at a setpoint, even if you were never there as an adult, perhaps you hung out at 180 for quite awhile as a youngen. I love the fact that you are looking at your last two months--10 pounds in two months is a LOT. Your body is taking its time because it fears famine and death, and doesn't want to let go unless there is good reason! AND you say you are in normal sizes, so changes are happening! I am not currently weighing myself, but boy am I noticing changes in my body and how my clothes fit! Sometimes the scale is not our friend.

Big workout day--Fri and Sat have turned into moderate or up days for me, and I am really liking my Sun/Tues/Thurs DD schedule.

just to keep myself honest

B: HBE and leftover asparagus

L: tuna salad "sandwich"

S: protein pudding

d: out in SF before the theatre--likely some combo of meat and veg

Good day to my JUDDD BUDs!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Morning everyone.

I was a little disappointed with my weigh day this morning. I was down a half a pound. It wouldn't be such a big deal, because I know TOM is on the verge and I feel like I'm retaining water, but I was really hoping to see last summer's low prethyroid-tank weight today. I am ONE POUND off. ONE.

I really can't complain though. This is so much better than the gaining I was doing. I can't remember what I have shared on this thread, but I went back to my thyroid doc last week and he was surprised I feel as much better as I do (maybe I don't remember what "good" feels like). My T3 is still fairly low and my TSH is about the same as before. My reverse T3s are way down though so that is probably why I have more energy. We are planning a gradual increase in meds until my T3 gets into the higher end of the range. Patience, patience.

We are off to the in-laws this afternoon. Have a great Easter everyone!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh and sorry Sherrie--I buy my psyllium at Trader Joe's. It is ground psyllium and acts like a nice "flour" in my pseudo baked goods. You have to add sufficient liquid before you cook it so that it doesn't turn into a blob, lol!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-

Great loss! And don't worry too much about Easter; you can always go back down in calories on Monday. My sister, niece, and I are going to a big hotel brunch, but I know they have lobster, shrimp, and lamb, and I intend to fill up on those expensive and low carb/calorie items

By the way, I have no Trader Joe's near me, so I buy my psyllium from Netrition. I actually like the way the powder gives 'substance' to an omelet, and sometimes I make a shake with it. I've read that fiber products should not be taken within two hours of meds, and I'm always trying to fit it in, since I have to take my Cytomel 3x a day.

Ouis-
Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm really not disheartened. I know that this 'works,' and I jintend to just stay on plan. My body can only resist so long

By the way, I'm trying something that you've given up. Everyone on the primal board is against fiber for regularity and pro-fat. When I was away on the cruise (a time when I usually have regularity issues), I had no problems at all. I can't imagine what the difference was, since I was eating basically the same as I do at home, except that I think there was more fat. So I thought I'd give fat a try. It means less food overall--since I plan to keep my calories within the same limits--and that might be a problem, but I'm only planning on doing this for a week at most.

Gina-
If your T3 is still low, it's amazing that you're losing at all, but please don't fret over a pound! With women, there is no exact number that's accurate. I can vary 3-5lbs within one day because of water, so always think of your weight within a 5-lb range. As I lose, I just consider getting into a lower 'decade' as my accomplishment.

Enjoy the weekend everyone! The weather here (50 mi north of NYC) is gorgeous!!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo! Report back on the Fat Increase. I know it has worked well for you in the past!

I wouldn't say I have gone Fat Free--I had lamb and pork ribs last night for dinner --but my lower fat breakfast and lunch seem to be nipping my urges to binge on fat sweet stuff--I had to add back in some AS and drop my fat (eg psyllium oatmeal, psyllium pancakes etc)--I am trying to keep my fat moderately up at dinner--but I am interested in your feedback about whether it gets you started losing again!!

I can tell I am losing even though I am not weighing--hopefully I am not losing too much muscle mass--altho being heavy, I had muscle mass to spare--I can def see getting closer to goal and seeing if I can add back in fat and keep calories the same--It is allllll a grand experiment!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Just had to report in that I finished my UD with 1683 calories! That included two pieces of pizza, 3 chicken wings and a handful of jelly beans and two little foil chocolate Easter eggs!! I filled about 60 of those plastic eggs and am really proud of myself for not pigging out on more candy.

Of course, I wouldn't want to get on the scale tomorrow with the way I retain fluid after that pizza tonight!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Happy Easter/Passover/Spring Solstice to everyone. Sure am glad Spring is here, things are greening up a little, tiny bit of snow still in the mountains, but I hear the spring flowers are out.
I am still Juddding, about at the same weight I was Feb 1st before my steroid disaster. The things that worked so well for me before aren't working now, I find I can't do just liquids on the dds, my old shake and soup thing that I loved so much-I seem to have to have the solid foods more-still keeping it between 400-600 cals, so I am beginning to feel more myself, it should start working again. After my cortisone shot in my shoulder last July it was 3 months before I started losing again. Everything comes to he who waits????
Anyway, congratulations on all your persistance.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sherrie! Great Job--you should feel so proud of yourself for your restraint.

NN--it sounds like your efforts are paying off if you are back to your pre-cortisone weight. You are also so right about how we sometimes have to change up our food/process with JUDDD. The foods and eating patterns that worked for me in the beginning with JUDDD just don't work anymore. Part of it is the boredom factor--part of it is probably much more complex! I have been reading quite a bit about the impact of micronutrients on obesity and I am beginning to think that our cravings for this food or that food are related!

yesterday was an UD and I focused on protein again and was startled at the experience of satisfaction and fullness. I don't often get that feeling and I can never seem to predict what causes it--for right now I am thinking it is the combo of fiber (psyllium) and protein for me. Who knows--it could all change at any moment

Have a good Easter for those who celebrate. I seem to be coming down with a cold so I am going to work on staying warm and drink fluids for this particular DD!

Ouis
Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #20
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
Actually increasing fat has never worked for me; that's why I related to your desire to curb fat. I do best with protein as my mainstay, with moderate fat as it occurs in my food, along with olive oil for sauteing. I should really not listen to the boards. The folks at Mark's are all 'experts,' and I know that their nutritional advice is often suspect, so why did I believe them about the 'dangers' of fiber? They insist the only way to regularity is increase the fat, so that's why I tried this.

Notice the past tense. I've only been doing this for two days, and although it certainly curbs hunger, I feel dreadful, and that can't be good for me, so I think I'm going to abandon this 'experiment'--especially since there's no sign that it's doing the job!

I was reading Taubes' chapter on fiber last night, but he doesn't label it the 'menace' that's been interpreted. He just points out that most of the claims for it in terms of health are overstated, and the only proven benefit is for constipation. Since that's all I want it for, I'm going back to my psyllium, even though it's difficult to juggle it around my Cytomel.

Nitenurse-
You're on the mend, so perhaps your body just wants more solid food for a while. Just go with it and perhaps later on, you'll be able to manage the liquids on DDs (personally, I can never be satisfied with liquids, and I've envied you). Glad you're feeling better.

Sherrie-
The tone of your posts is so very positive, and I'm so happy that you're gaining control. Dealing with all that candy could not have been easy.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis and Leo....Thanks for the encouraging words. I really DO feel more positive and in control doing the 800 cal. DD's. It has made all the difference in the world. The 500 cal ones were such a struggle and it only reinforced my feelings of "failure" when I didn't do one successfully, even though I may have only been 100 cal off. It just amazes me how these feelings of guilt, shame, failure are so engrained in me after 50+ years of struggling with my weight. The 800 cal ones work and keeping my UD's controlled under 1800 is just reinforcing my sense of "success". I will keep this up until I stop losing on it.

Well, didn't really count calories yesterday, as I had made a couple of brunch casseroles that were hard to tally. I told myself that I wouldn't count calories but only to eat until satisfied and not "stuff" myself. I think it really worked! After sampling both casseroles and having a sausage and a couple slices of bacon and a piece of my mom's homemade cherry coffee cake, (not to mention a few jelly beans), I found myself very nauseated later in the day. I don't think my digestive system has been used to all that fat and I was reacting. Probably worked to my advantage, cause I decided to have a bowl of fruit salad and a cup of tea for dinner. Got on the scale this morning and weighed the same as Saturday morning, so that's certainly a success in my book!!

Looking forward to my DD today...busy day packing for vacation etc. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend. Weather has been just glorious here and looking forward to a little rain and cooler temperatures today. I have too much to do inside to be tempted by warmth and sun outside!!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Way to go Sherrie! I think any adaptation we need is just fine--whatever gets you there. When I first started JUDDDing, my DD's were over 600--they have been innnccchhhing down over time, but I could NOT start below 500!

A bit stressed. Putting together a presentation to a National Academy. Gets my anxiety way up--but I will NOT eat over it!

UD for me, and I am posting for accountability!

B: OMM

L: hard boiled eggs with mustard/mayo

s: one 100cal pack of almonds/walnuts

d: TBA. I see patients til quite late tonight--I will have a plan, but I don't quite know what yet--some protein/veg combo

1 pc 99% cacao chocolate. Love this stuff. I buy it at cost plus and it is so good and no AS and no sugar--30 cals/1 carb per piece. Helps me with the naughty deprivation feelings. I do need to time it tho--too close to bedtime and I don't sleep well

Whatever day it is for you, may it be an easy one--

Ouis
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #23
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning all, I had a nice Easter weekend. Two UDs (but I am trying to think of them as "regular days") didn't turn out too badly for me. I stayed pretty LC the whole time, but we did go out for dinner Saturday night and had a nice Easter dinner with the in-laws Sunday. Even with all that food, I am just up a pound to start my DD today. That is usually a good omen for the week.

I'm on spring break but woke up to a downpour this morning. Its just as well, I have a lot of chores to get done here in the house. The downside is DDs are much harder when I am hanging around the house.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina--I think you are getting our downpour from yesterday (I am in Sonoma County)--we are supposed to get hit again today--

Are you in Aptos? My aunt and uncle live there-
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #25
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

We're pretty close to Aptos, in La Selva Beach.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Weekly Weigh In

Scale showed the same as last week--181, and I was disappointed because I was SO hungry yesterday (yet kept to <400 cal) that I was sure I'd see a drop this morning.

However, it's good to have a record because as I looked back, I can see that I've dropped 10 lbs in the past two months (including a 2-week cruise!), so I really can't complain.

I'm now in 'normal sizes' (rather than 'plus') and that's an accomplishment for someone who spent almost her entire adult life at 270-320lbs! I ordered a new pair of pants last week and had to return them because they were too big, something that never happened to the 'old me'
YAY@ Normal Sizes! even with my recent gain I'm still in them. I've got a fortunate fat distribution with buge hoobs and a tiny waist so I get down into "regular" 14s anywhere south of 210.

I know you'll show a loss SOOON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
Leo....You're doing SO WELL! It must feel so liberating to be where you are right now. I'm sure these last 10lb you want to lose are going to be a struggle as your body fights to keep on the weight, but if anyone can do it, you can.

I decided to weigh in this morning rather than Monday after two UD's. I've lost 6.5lb since Monday and I'm pleased with that. I know it's water weight since I've been bouncing around in the same 10lb area forever, but it's the lowest I've been since last June and anxious to hit the 260's which I haven't seen in about a year and half. I'll weigh once more next Thursday morning before I leave on vacation.

A little worried about this weekend. Filling Easter eggs with candy today for the Easter egg hunt for the grandkids tomorrow. My mom is coming over to spend the night tonight and watch the Final Four games and has requested pizza and having brunch here for the family tomorrow after church. Just gonna COUNT THOSE CALORIES and stop when I get to the magic numbers. First real temptation I've had this week, but don't want to lose ground now.

In the 80's here and have felt a little water retention these past couple of days with the unexpected heat too. The heat always makes me retain fluid til I get used to it.

Well, not sure I'll get back here til Monday morning....lots to do today and tomorrow, but wishing everyone a blessed Easter/Passover. Hope you don't get sidetracked by the Easter Bunny!!
Oooh you're doing great! and kudos on keeping your UD in check even with pizza and candy... I'm one of those that just loses it if I eat any sugar or carbs so I could NEVER get away with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Morning everyone.

I was a little disappointed with my weigh day this morning. I was down a half a pound. It wouldn't be such a big deal, because I know TOM is on the verge and I feel like I'm retaining water, but I was really hoping to see last summer's low prethyroid-tank weight today. I am ONE POUND off. ONE.

I really can't complain though. This is so much better than the gaining I was doing. I can't remember what I have shared on this thread, but I went back to my thyroid doc last week and he was surprised I feel as much better as I do (maybe I don't remember what "good" feels like). My T3 is still fairly low and my TSH is about the same as before. My reverse T3s are way down though so that is probably why I have more energy. We are planning a gradual increase in meds until my T3 gets into the higher end of the range. Patience, patience.

We are off to the in-laws this afternoon. Have a great Easter everyone!
Gina you're doing awesome... you know how prone to water retention we Hypos are so I bet you're down into pre-thyroid crash weight and lower after it passes.

My appointment is on Wednesday morning and i SERIOUSLY CANNOT WAIT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Gina--I think you are getting our downpour from yesterday (I am in Sonoma County)--we are supposed to get hit again today--

Are you in Aptos? My aunt and uncle live there-
O I didn't know you were up there! I'm down in San Jose... (yay@bayarea)

Still working my "modified stillmans" though I DID take yesterday off to do pure Atkins OWL eating. Had to accomodate some spinach dip (no bread) and a couple high fat devilled eggs. In addition to which I ate plenty of ham and also a very small YAM (NOM NOM NOM OMG it was so sweet and delicious!)

I'm rapidly shedding off my water weight...

In other "stillmans news" lol my big box of shirataki noodles has arrived in the mail and I am going to eat them! Since this is definately not a stillman's food I'm going to just call today a JUDD DD which I have all planned out @ 500 cals.

I'll do a VLC Mid Day tomorrow and then my Dr Appointment Wednesday.

Depending how that goes I'll probably be back on 3 DD a week JUDD after...

Last edited by Ilpirata; 04-05-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #27
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-
Isn't it great to feel control over food? I don't know when you're leaving, but I wish you a great vacation. Don't agonize over the food thing; if you just continue what you're doing, you'll be fine. But be sure to ENJOY yourself.

Ouis-
I wish I could find a 'no sugar' chocolate like that. The best I can find here is Lindt's 85%, and it has sugar. What I do instead is sometimes combine a little of my cocoa powder with some almond butter. But that's definitely a weekend, UD 'treat.'

DD today, and I'm becoming convinced that the cure for all of life's ills is less food I just feel so 'good' on DDs.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Kisha....you make me laugh...."buge hoobs"

You are definitely a cornucopia (SP?) of WOE plans this week!! I just love your determination..... no matter what, you find a solution! Congratulations on shedding that water weight. I just love when I can see my ankles return to normal size!!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #29
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Gina you're doing awesome... you know how prone to water retention we Hypos are so I bet you're down into pre-thyroid crash weight and lower after it passes.

My appointment is on Wednesday morning and i SERIOUSLY CANNOT WAIT!
Isn't the internet an amazing thing? I had my calendar out this morning and I thought to myself "Oh, Kisha is going to the doctor Wednesday. Yayy!"

I have a good feeling he will be able to help you. Have you had other stuff besides thyroid checked out? I don't remember if you posted your T3 levels, but if your TSH is that supressed and you still don't feel good maybe there is something else going on too.

He has a list on me, with my issues ranked from in order of severity and we are working our way down. Started with thyroid & vitamin deficiencies and have now added adrenals. I like that he mixes rxs with supplements if he thinks they will help and compliment each other.

I just wish it wasn't so dang expensive. My insurance does cover part, but I pay and get reimbursed later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Sherrie-
DD today, and I'm becoming convinced that the cure for all of life's ills is less food I just feel so 'good' on DDs.
It is amazing isn't it, how little we really do NEED to eat. My DH isn't doing JUDDD but he has been low carbing since January and his attitude toward food has really changed. We all need to eat, but every meal doesn't need to be a delicious feast. A meal should be nutritious and you shouldn't be hungry anymore when you are done. That's all really.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Isn't the internet an amazing thing? I had my calendar out this morning and I thought to myself "Oh, Kisha is going to the doctor Wednesday. Yayy!"

I have a good feeling he will be able to help you. Have you had other stuff besides thyroid checked out? I don't remember if you posted your T3 levels, but if your TSH is that supressed and you still don't feel good maybe there is something else going on too.

He has a list on me, with my issues ranked from in order of severity and we are working our way down. Started with thyroid & vitamin deficiencies and have now added adrenals. I like that he mixes rxs with supplements if he thinks they will help and compliment each other.

I just wish it wasn't so dang expensive. My insurance does cover part, but I pay and get reimbursed later.

It is amazing isn't it, how little we really do NEED to eat. My DH isn't doing JUDDD but he has been low carbing since January and his attitude toward food has really changed. We all need to eat, but every meal doesn't need to be a delicious feast. A meal should be nutritious and you shouldn't be hungry anymore when you are done. That's all really.

Yeah its expensive... I can cover about $800 out of my HSA & Flex125 accounts so I think that'll be enough for the first visits and labs. I'll have more $ built up in my HSA by the time I have a follow up visit in say six to eight weeks...

When I FIRST FIRST FIRST got diagnosed I did have some other tests done... I'm looking at the lab right now I swear I thought I'd had my iron/ferritin tested? Well I'm not seeing it on there.

I'm sure I'll need more testing specifically the 4x cortisol maybe I've got low adrenal?