Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
March JUDDD--We can do hard things!

JUDDD/Alternate Day Diet Thread (We can do hard things....)
Getting Started

There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr JOhnsons website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnsons site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management

The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow. The book will detail useful techniques for down day hunger management.

Diet Stress

Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood

We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day

On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day

It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight

How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

Down Day Recipes

It is important to choose a shake which is personally tolerable and satisfying. There are a number on the market including Atkins Advantage, Slim Fast Optima, MetRx. For weight loss diet, it is highly advisable that for the first two weeks, you consume only shakes on the down day.

Delicious, easy, very low calorie recipes are available in the soon to be published book, The Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™.

What People On The Diet Have To Say
“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.
“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.
“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.
“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.
For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."
seoulgrlsara is offline Report Post to Moderators Reply With Quote
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

I'm back, and if I did it right, I started us off for March.

I read the posts during my absence, and it's nice to have been missed. I want to check to see if this thread is working before I post the results of my 'experiment' on my cruise--which, by the way, I highly recommend.

It was four days at sea going and coming, and we visited four islands in Hawaii. I've been on 7 various cruises, and this one is near the top.

Food issues to follow.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

OK--here's my good news--I discovered that I can maintain!

That was my goal for this 2-weeks cruise, and the day I left, I weighed at 189. (although I was 188.5 a few days earlier--normal fluctutions).

I planned to weigh in tomorrow after a good DD today, but I just couldn't resist, and I weighed this moring AFTER breakfast--just my normal egg white DD breakfast, but with about a gallon of coffee, too. So it wasn't an optimal time to weigh, but I was 188.5! So I returned at the weight I left, which is amazing because in the past on a one-week cruise and 'eating carefully,' I usually gained about 7 lbs!

Here's what I did: As most of you know, I eat 'primal' for health reasons--low carb and no sweeteners at all, no dairy or grains. And it was easy to continue to eat this way during my cruise because of the choices offered.

However, I had a 'treat' because my sister sent a 'bon voyage' gift to the ship that included a box of Godiva Belgian chocolates. There were just 16 pieces in the box, and I ate about half of them--8 (the dark ones)--over the course of the 2 weeks. We finished the box on our last day. So I just had one piece of chocolate every few days.

During the first week, I managed DDs of about 800 cal., which is what I estimated I'd do to maintain. However, my UDs were higher than I usually eat--about 2000, but sometimes 2200. But I ate just eggs and sausage or bacon for breakfast and fish or meat and veggies for lunch or dinner. I never ate 3 meals--usually two--and no snacks at all except for some nuts that I brought with me (almonds and walnuts) that I ate occasionally.

During the second week, some of my DDs approached 1000 cal, but I kept the UDs at 2000. If I can maintain (as I did) averaging 1500 cal a day, I'll be really pleased.

I found that my experience with JUDDD has helped me listen to my body, and I readily skipped a meal (usually lunch, sometimes dinner) if I wasn't hungry. I knew I wasn't losing because I never felt that DD 'hunger,' but I never felt 'stuffed' after a meal, either, and that was a good feeling.

This was all with almost NO EXERCISE. Because I walk with difficulty, I use a scooter on board the ship to get around and rely on being able to swim as I do at home. However, during this cruise, the seas were so rough for the first four days that the pools were closed for safety reasons. While we were in Hawaii, I was too exhausted when we returned to the ship, and on the way home, we had more rough seas and cold weather, so I only got into the pool one day.

Now that I'm back, I want to start losing again!

Snaggle- I think the key to JUDDD is consistency. I attribute the weight I've lost to the fact that from the day I began, I kept every DD (until my cruise) at 450 cal or less (my current is about 350 cal).

Kisha- Very bad news about your endo, but I'm glad you didn't follow her recommendations--ugh! As you know, I'm on synthetics that don't suppress the TSH like Armour, but my own endo worries about TSH, too. After my last blood test (4 months ago), I had to beg him to increase my Cytomel by 5 mcg because my T3 was just below half way on the range. He argued that my TSH was so low that I'd go hyper (and possibly incur heart issues--which is what they all fear). Fortunately, he trusted me to report any hyper symptoms, and I feel vindicated because I didn't have any. My next blood tests are scheduled for tomorrow, so I'll see what happens. I seem to be doing well on my current dosage, and I certainly don't want to lower it. However, I also will never self-medicate because I think that's both illegal and dangerous. I hope you find a better doctor who will optimize you.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Leo--welcome back and great news about maintaining and all your strategies!! You really were missed--it is clear that you are often the ignition for this particular JUDDD vehicle (not to put any pressure on you or anything, lol!)

Leo and Kisha--just to let you know, my most recent tests showed that my TSH was low (and my reverse T3 very high) and my T4 was high--my doc cut my t4 and REALLY increased my T3 and I can't believe how much better I am feeling--so don't give up!

I had a very good DD yesterday which I really needed after 3 up days

I have been playing with doing a little IF on my UD's--I am not eating breakfast at all, seeing if I can push lunch back a bit--just so I have a longer fast period on my UD's. Like Leo I am finding that paleo foods (today I will have Sardines for lunch and hard boiled eggs for a snack) seem to fill me up in a very different way than my regular foods. But Gosh!! I just cannot for the life of me give up my AS, altho at the very least it is stevia most of the time. sigh, one thing at a time I guess.

The scale has been stuck but my body composition is very much changing--the last time I lost a large amount of weight, I was noticeably "skinny-fat" (think *******). This time, I am clearly increasing muscle mass as I lose fat--it is so interesting to see.

OK--enough about me! Let's hear from the rest of our merry band!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
Good Morning!!! Thank you Leo for starting our March thread! My goal this month is to actually have DDs and UDs on the right days (every other, of course! lol ). It seems that I struggle with turning a DD into a MD all the time. Also, I am NOT going to put a end of the month goal weight amount this month. First steps first, do JUDDD correctly, and see where my weight takes me.
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Welcome Back Leo!!
Thanks for starting the thread.
I am blown away by how well you did on the cruise and so impressed that you maintained your losses. My bet is that you will drop a few in the next couple of weeks due to an increased metabolism. Yippee.
Anyway, I am glad you had a great trip.
As you could see by all our pathetic posts, we missed you while you were gone!

Let's all have a great March!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

janetaz-

Personally, I think you have the right idea. I've found it best never to have weight loss goals in terms of pounds/dates because my body will always thwart me

I try to keep my focus on staying on plan, and then see what my body does. When I used to try to reach 'goals' for loss, I'd get depressed when I didn't meet those goals and that led to overeating, etc. Try to keep in mind that the only thing that's in your control is what you put in your mouth--and that should be the only goal you have.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Welcome back, Leo, you are our inspiration.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
DD Today

My first one in several weeks. I only did maybe three DD in all of February! I'm happy to realize that my first DD back is also the first day of the month

I shall attempt to do three DD this week M, W, Fri. If they are succesfull I shall brave the scale on Saturday (like how I'm being all formal saying "shall" as if I'm making some sort of solemn vow, LOL).

I have no clue what I weigh but I'm sure its HEINOUS! So hopefully after 3 DD this week I'll see a scale number that I can live with.

GLAD to hear your trip went so well Leo! Thats amazing.

HEre's to all of us having an awesome MARCH!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Kisha-
DD today for me, too. I came in at about 350 cal and am finished for the day (going to bed early, as I only had 3 hrs sleep last night). I was a little worried about doing a low DD after 2 weeks of 'indulgence,' but my body seems to want those DDs because I had no difficulty getting back into the routine. Mostly egg whites and an Ostrim stick today--along with a tiny tsp of almond butter with my tea--yum!

That's probably all you need--a week of M, W, Fri DDs to get you 'into' the groove again.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Kisha-
DD today for me, too. I came in at about 350 cal and am finished for the day (going to bed early, as I only had 3 hrs sleep last night). I was a little worried about doing a low DD after 2 weeks of 'indulgence,' but my body seems to want those DDs because I had no difficulty getting back into the routine. Mostly egg whites and an Ostrim stick today--along with a tiny tsp of almond butter with my tea--yum!

That's probably all you need--a week of M, W, Fri DDs to get you 'into' the groove again.

Mine will be just under 500... good enough.
I seriously feel heinously bloated and fat like I feel a double chin on my face where I usually don't... ugh. I'm all carbed up so I'm hoping you're right and three DDs gets me back to a livable level.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Just cruisin' along...

Welcome back Leo! So glad to hear your experiment worked and that you didn't gain! I just KNEW you wouldn't lose control; you've been doing JUDDD too long now where it's second nature. Finished a DD today with an interesting meal that is really filling: it's a green smoothie - 1 cup water, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 small banana, 1 cup mustard greens (frozen), sweetener to taste, dash of vanilla extract....I think all the pectin from the banana and strawberries is working hard because I'm STUFFED! on a DD that's a miracle for me!

I don't understand all the thyroid stuff you guys go through but I sure feel blessed that I don't have those issues. Basic hormonal stuff like that scares me when it gets out of whack because it's all such a trial and error kind of deal until you find what works! So my wishes you guys get it worked out without too much craziness!

Thanks Leo for starting the March thread - what a great way to say you're back! It's good to see everyone posting again!

Shell, I forgot to respond to your question: I live in Richmond, VA (in case you're close by and want some freebie steel cut oats!). Hugs everybody!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Wecome back Leo & congratulations on the maintaining!

I was thinking about you, out there in the ocean, when we got our tsunami warning Saturday. Glad to see you made it.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Kisha- Very bad news about your endo, but I'm glad you didn't follow her recommendations--ugh! As you know, I'm on synthetics that don't suppress the TSH like Armour, but my own endo worries about TSH, too. After my last blood test (4 months ago), I had to beg him to increase my Cytomel by 5 mcg because my T3 was just below half way on the range. He argued that my TSH was so low that I'd go hyper (and possibly incur heart issues--which is what they all fear). Fortunately, he trusted me to report any hyper symptoms, and I feel vindicated because I didn't have any. My next blood tests are scheduled for tomorrow, so I'll see what happens. I seem to be doing well on my current dosage, and I certainly don't want to lower it. However, I also will never self-medicate because I think that's both illegal and dangerous. I hope you find a better doctor who will optimize you.
I'm sorry you disagreed with my recommendations. They were in no way meant to hurt Kisha and I figured that she is an adult and could either do it or not, her choice.

When I decided to self medicate it was as a last ditch effort. It was either get more medicine in my body or commit suicide-the depression was that bad! I explained the severe depression to my GP and with a TSH of 4.57 I would have believed that he would be more sympathetic. This is a doctor who freely dispensed anti-depressants when I first started complaining about my depression 8 years earlier, but when they didn't work after a week and I started gaining massive amounts of weight-looked no further for the answers.

I'm glad that you have found an endo who is willing to work with you as I have now, but it has been a long road. The choice between death and illegal was a simple one.

Kisha- If I have offended you I apologize. As I said in my post, I struggled with whether I should suggest self medicating until you found a new doctor or not and apparently I should not have. Good luck finding a good doctor.
JunkInMyTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkInMyTrunk View Post
I'm sorry you disagreed with my recommendations. They were in no way meant to hurt Kisha and I figured that she is an adult and could either do it or not, her choice.

When I decided to self medicate it was as a last ditch effort. It was either get more medicine in my body or commit suicide-the depression was that bad! I explained the severe depression to my GP and with a TSH of 4.57 I would have believed that he would be more sympathetic. This is a doctor who freely dispensed anti-depressants when I first started complaining about my depression 8 years earlier, but when they didn't work after a week and I started gaining massive amounts of weight-looked no further for the answers.

I'm glad that you have found an endo who is willing to work with you as I have now, but it has been a long road. The choice between death and illegal was a simple one.

Kisha- If I have offended you I apologize. As I said in my post, I struggled with whether I should suggest self medicating until you found a new doctor or not and apparently I should not have. Good luck finding a good doctor.
I am not offended! We all try to help each other. Last time my T3 crashed hella bad I upped my dose on my own while waiting to get into endo. I couldn't function!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #16
Senior LCF member

Junk-

I didn't think you offended anyone, and I'm sorry if you were offended by my comment. I was just offering an opinion. I certainly know how desperate you must have been because I went undiagnosed for 5 years with my primary doctor insisting that I was 'normal' despite horrendous hypo symptoms--including a goiter.

He kept insisting that it was all 'aging,' and when I was so exhausted that I could barely get through a work day, he suggested I see a cardiologist because I 'probably' had heart issues. That was when I finally self-referred to a local endo and was immediately medicated.

I find it amazing how difficult it is to find a doctor who effectively handles thyroid. My sister is a medical secretary who was referred to a 'world-class' endo by physicians she knows. The guy didn't even test her T3 although she's been hypo for years and was experiencing incredible fatigue.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
1130162ney5u2jkoi.gif Mornin' everyone! Leo, Welcome Back! It must be nice to come back from vacation without gaining and actually having ate more. How nice to have your maintenance numbers figured out. 800 calories on a DD shouldn't be too painful when you actually go into maintenance. I had planned on starting JUDDD today, but found out I have low cortisol levels. From what I've read (and Pam confirming) I need a high calorie diet with at least 40 grams of carbs. So, it looks like I need to start again with my 1400 calorie a day plan and stick with it. I'm taking my thyroid situation very serioiusly and want to do all I can to keep thyroid hormones working the way they need to. I'll be trying progesterone again (this time transdermal compound) and IsoCort adrenal gland supplement. I hope to be able to stay on plan and come back with a positive report. Wishing all you JUDDDers a happy March!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Attachment 28622 Mornin' everyone! Leo, Welcome Back! It must be nice to come back from vacation without gaining and actually having ate more. How nice to have your maintenance numbers figured out. 800 calories on a DD shouldn't be too painful when you actually go into maintenance. I had planned on starting JUDDD today, but found out I have low cortisol levels. From what I've read (and Pam confirming) I need a high calorie diet with at least 40 grams of carbs. So, it looks like I need to start again with my 1400 calorie a day plan and stick with it. I'm taking my thyroid situation very serioiusly and want to do all I can to keep thyroid hormones working the way they need to. I'll be trying progesterone again (this time transdermal compound) and IsoCort adrenal gland supplement. I hope to be able to stay on plan and come back with a positive report. Wishing all you JUDDDers a happy March!
So Glad you're getting some answers~! WHATEVER plan you end up doing don't abandon us here at the JUDD thread!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #19

UD Today

Well my planned DD yesterday turned in to MD... but I'm still calling it a success! It was under 1000 calories. Its a success because its the first day that I've regulated calories in any way for over three weeks.

UD today and I am concentrating on keeping cals below 2000... and my carbs under 40g.

Also, today is my sobriety birthday (3 years today). I'm focusing on the POSITIVE instead of beating myself up over the scale and my WOE. Life is more than that right?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Also, today is my sobriety birthday (3 years today). I'm focusing on the POSITIVE instead of beating myself up over the scale and my WOE. Life is more than that right?
I've been in lurk mode lately (still maintaining, nothing to report, just busy with report cards) but had to de-lurk to say how awesome that is Kisha! It is not an easy thing to abstain and I admire you so much for having 3 years behind you! Here's to 3 (and many, many) more)!!

Hi Leo - welcome back. Sounds like your cruise was great and congrats on maintaining while on vacation! Kudos to you!

Hi to e/e. I'll be online more once my report cards are complete!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Did get down another pound. So far the pound a week average is holding, that is my assurance that JUDDD is continuing to work for me.
I lost wt on Atkins, other lowcarb, but always reached a point where all I could do at best was maintain, at worst regain. Juddd has been bringing me into territory where I haven't been for over 20 years.
The next couple months are going to be tough, because there are setpoints in there I was at for years at a time (before gaining more). So will have to really be vigilant. I don't have any big trips or events coming up until summer, that helps.
Leo, so happy you did so well on your cruise, good job!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
Senior LCF member

Kisha-

Congratulations on 3 years! And you're absolutely right about staying positive and not beating yourself up. I recently read (but forgot where I read it) that people who stay positive lose more weight and are more successful at keeping it off than those who tend to be more morose.

I know that's difficult to do when you feel out of control, but just keep reminding yourself, "I've done this before, and I can do it again." That's what helped me with DDs in the beginning--reminding myself that I'd done them and not died of hunger.

Think of the journey and note the lessons learned along the way
Old 03-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Hi Everyone!

Its so great to read so many positive posts on this forum! Everyone seems to be doing really well! ((((Hugs)))) Thanks to those for the tips and positive comments to my previous posts.

Well I had my nervewracking first ever weigh in Tuesday morning... and I woke up and groaned as it was TOM (sorry if it is too much info) I didnt think I would be in for an accurate weigh in. Well I weighed myself regardless telling myself it didnt matter if there was no loss as it is TOM. I was three pounds down! So without the TOM it could have actually lost about 5 pounds! Yay!

I am really loving this method of weight loss. I am not finding the DD's too hard and I am sticking to the alternating of the UD and DD's.

I am trying not to get into the mindset of eating healthily on DD's and junk on UD's. I love the fact that you can plan ahead and stay on track.

Here's to the next three pounds loss!

Happy JUDDD'ing everyone!
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommychic View Post
Hi Everyone!

Its so great to read so many positive posts on this forum! Everyone seems to be doing really well! ((((Hugs)))) Thanks to those for the tips and positive comments to my previous posts.

Well I had my nervewracking first ever weigh in Tuesday morning... and I woke up and groaned as it was TOM (sorry if it is too much info) I didnt think I would be in for an accurate weigh in. Well I weighed myself regardless telling myself it didnt matter if there was no loss as it is TOM. I was three pounds down! So without the TOM it could have actually lost about 5 pounds! Yay!

I am really loving this method of weight loss. I am not finding the DD's too hard and I am sticking to the alternating of the UD and DD's.

I am trying not to get into the mindset of eating healthily on DD's and junk on UD's. I love the fact that you can plan ahead and stay on track.

Here's to the next three pounds loss!

Happy JUDDD'ing everyone!

Right on! GREAT LOSS!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
DD today and I am "noshy" So far I have noshed on almost calorie free foods (psyllium and eggwhite "pancakes" and shirataki noodles with hot sauce)--

I'm not even that hungry! Just needing food in my mouth. weird!

dinner is going to be asparagus and buffalo/cabbage/tomato casserole (maybe 2/3 cup for me!--the rest for DH--

looking forward to tomorrow!

ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Just poppin in to say

congratulations Pommychick on the weight loss and to you Kisha on your 3-yr sobriety anniversary! It's amazing how your whole life changes when you stop drinking isn't it? KUTGW!!!

DD today and I'm looking forward to it. It's kind of a purge-the-chocolate-from-yesterday out of my system today....I still can't seem to get the UD's at work under control. I start out OK but then after lunch, I wind up eating about 1000 calories of chocolate (yes, until I make myself sick!). I keep having this gnawing desire for chocolate. Oh well, back to the drawing board.....
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #27
Senior LCF member

Pommychick-
I'm glad you're liking this plan. Isn't it inspiring to see that scale number go down?

Ouis-
I don't think it's weird at all because I'm exactly the same way. Often on DDs when I want to eat, I have to ask myself whether or not I'm really hungry. The answer is always negative; I just want the activity of eating--and that makes it easy to resist putting food in my mouth.

I've begun asking myself the same question on UDs because I really want to conquer the "food for entertainment" habit that's been my WOE for so very long

Today's a DD, and I've become aware of how satisfied I can be on so little food. It highlights how I got to 300+ lbs--eating enormous portions just because I like food so much when I had no physical need for all that food!

The secondary benefit of JUDDD for me (apart from weight loss) has been the insights into my food issues that I've gained from this WOE. I just love it.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey JUDDDers!!

Leo Welcome back! Congrats on maintaining on your cruise. We are glad to have you back!

Kisha Great job on 3 years! Sorry to hear about the thyroid issues. It's sad that we have to go through this to feel good. I still do not feel as good as I did on the original Armour. I am on compounded now and feel okay, but I might try the Efra next.

Well, I am back from Cancun and I DID NOT maintain. I pretty much abandoned any plan and just ate whatever I wanted. I feel like a water tank right now, although after a good DD Monday and UD yesterday I am down almost 4 lbs of water weight. I retain ALOT of water when I go off plan.

I am feeling good and ready to get back to where I was last summer. I have figured out I feel sooo much better in warm weather. So come on spring!

Last Friday is a month without ambien and I feel alot better. I have had a couple of nights of no sleep, but without the caffeine from coffee and chocolate I am doing alot better. I am determined to not take it again.

Grammypat I will be in Newport News, Va when I visit. I can totally relate about the chocolate. I was eating so much it interfered with my sleep. I have since switched to white chocolate and feel a little more in control with that. Eventually, my goal is to quit eating so much sugar. I know it contributes to my cravings. When I go without I find myself not as hungry.

Anyway, I will check in later.

Michelle

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Kisha, congrats on the 3 yr birthday!!!! Wonderful. Learning to deal with food has been my lifelong battle.
Lately, I am realizing how much, when my mind wanders, it's always about food, or lack of it, or what I am going to eat, what I am going to be around.....etc. etc. but it's always about food. That isn't real hunger, it's obscession.
Am glad that at least JUDDD keeps me in line enough that I know what I am going to eat on the DDs. That makes it so much easier.
The UDs, well it's getting clearer.....I really have to plan ahead enough that I can stop that obscessing on those days, too. I just have to have a plan, a clear picture of what I am going to eat.
Just had a memory from my childhood, WWII, food rationing, my mother always concerned about what to cook, to make the rationed things stretch out.....she had to cook for large crews of men on our ranch, so food was always a big issue from sun up to sun down. No wonder my thoughts go there. Never considered that before.
Believe me, when the war ended, and sugar rationing was over, those ladies really went nuts with baking. No wonder the american diet is what it is.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Hi all.....been lurking here periodically since I left for greener pastures in January.

Have tried several different approaches since then...actually it took til February before I seriously tried anything and have basically been losing and gaining the same 10lb since then.

Most recently am eating nothing but chicken, fish, veggies and fruits (cut out grains and dairy) and really feel like I may have finally found my groove. Had cut out the white flour and sugar before, but I think the whole grains and dairy might have still triggered some cravings. Not doing any AS either.

I'm not going near the scale, as I really think it's my worst enemy. As long as I'm "on plan" I remain upbeat and positive and don't need to be lulled into a false sense of security with a big loss nor discouraged by results not as satisfactory as I think they should be. Read something recently about sabotaging ourselves when our desires don't meet our expectations. Trying to be much more positive in my thinking this time around.

I would very much like eventually to get back to JUDD, as I know Leo you are pretty much eating like this also. For right now though, I'm content and not counting calories or carbs or anything else. Returning to my water aerobics has helped me feel more positive also.

Kisha....Congratulations on your 3 years of sobriety!! (Had to come out of lurk mode for that )
Leo....so happy to hear your maintenance plan worked for your cruise! I silently applaud every single loss with your weigh-ins each week, even though I'm only lurking here. You continue to be my inspiration.

Continued good wishes for all of you who are doing so well and the newbies too. Hugs and blessings to you all.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote