Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Leo! I knew you were going to have a good weigh in today! You are almost in the next decade gf! So close to your goal! Yeah--those naughty hungries are why I have been experimenting with different psyllium based foods this week--I totally got that this manages my hunger for very few calories! Enjoying my psyllium "oatmeal" this morning.

Shell-so glad you got to feel lighter today!

Me--I am just trying to ride out the next 4 days eating as lightly as possible --and the passover seder will be trying as many of the ritual foods are carby (potatoes/matzah)--I am making some good stuff for me to eat, but I will look forward to my next DD on tuesday! It feels like I am in a semi-maintenance mode for the last month or so--at 166-168. I have 20 more pounds to lose to get to goal--but I can see that my body is also fighting this particular setpoint. Leo--I think the key is really dealing with the UD's. Sigh.

OK--onward and upwards.

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #212
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Good morning JUDDDDers! I haven't been posting much because I hadn't been following JUDDDD, but I kept poking in here to see how you are all doing.

This week though I started back and I am happy to say I am finally having some real success with JUDDD again. I had three solid DDs and nicely controlled, not excessive UDs and am down 4 lbs this week to 185. I haven't seen that weight in months. I have 1.5 lbs to go to hit my pre-thyroid tank low from last summer.

Kisha, I can't imagine why you would get moderator attention. You are a pirate though. Maybe its "profile profiling." I crack myself up. I'm going back to my doc next week. I'll let you know how it goes. I have liked him so far, I hope he can help get you fixed up.

Leo, Congratulations on the continued losses. I enjoy your "lengthy" posts. It is helpful to hear about the struggles of others and how they deal with them.

Ouis, Good luck with your holiday foods. Controlling my UDs is about 95% of success on JUDDDD for me too. I know many people here say the DD is the key for them, but for me I seem to have much more leeway with the DDs. A big UD will set me way back though.

Michelle, Congrats on the DD and the five pounds. I can't imagine where all that water goes either. 5 lbs is over half a gallon, imagine that in a milk jug.

I'm waiting an hour for my meds to settle in so I can eat a little something, get out and run then I have a hair appt, some kid driving around and shopping to do. Have a great day everyone!

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.

Last edited by GME; 03-27-2010 at 09:54 AM..
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #213
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Good to see you back, Gina, and great that you've done DDs! I worry sometimes that if I ever stopped JUDDD, it would be too difficult to get back.

However, as I was writing this, I realized that I did 'stop' JUDDD while I was away for 2 weeks, and I got back to DDs right away, so I guess after more than a year, JUDDD is ingrained in my psyche!

I'm glad that your meds are taking hold. This thyroid stuff can be challenging!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Good Morning JUDDDers!

My low carb experiment is going great! I stuck to low carb Friday and had an excellent DD. Yesterday was an UD and I stayed under 35 carbs and my appetite was under control. I came in under my UD calories. Yea!!!!

Normally, I would make this a moderate day, but I am on a roll and decided to go ahead and do a DD. Plus, I have running around to do Tuesday and Thursday with the kids so that always helps with DD's when I am busy. So it works out perfect. I dropped another pound of water weight after an UD.

I have to admit that I was extremely tired yesterday! Maybe induction flu?? I don't know but I was worn out. I hope I feel better today.

Gina Welcome back! You are doing great and yes the thyroid stuff is a pain. I haven't got to pre-thyroid tank either....lol.

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #215
Senior LCF member

Michelle-
If you were eating much higher carbs, then the tiredness is totally natural once you cut the carbs and purely temporary. That water weight you're losing is depleting the glycogen stores in your muscles as well, and that's what's making you tired. If you keep your carb level fairly steady for a while, you're body will adjust.

I've been eating low carb so long now that it's second nature. Today I went out to brunch with a friend and ordered an omelet, and although nothing on the menu indicated this, it arrived with an mound of homemade hash browns (one of my favorite things in my 'former life'). Had I known, I would have told the waiter to omit them, but there they were, looking deliciously tempting, and I had no problem ignoring them completely. Such is the mind control of my WOE
Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys!

Well, it did end up being closer to a MD with around 650 calories. I hope this carb withdrawal is almost over. I have been tired again and had a splitting headache all day. I was also VERY hungry today, but just tried to hold the hunger off as much as possible.

Seriously, I hope tommorrow is better.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #217

Gallery: Ilpirata
Yay @ Gina & Leo...
YAY!!!

Glad everyone is doing well. My weight is still WAY WAY up but maintaining and no longer gaining which is all I'm asking for at this point!

I've did a pretty much all egg day saturday and doing one today... VLC yesterday...
I got the delicious eggs from whole foods that I'm really enjoying.

Yeah I'm just sorta winging it right now LOL. My appointment got moved up (he had a cancellation) to 4/7/2010 and I just can't frikking wait!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #218
Senior LCF member

Kisha-

I'm so glad you're going to the doctor earlier. I have been worried that the end of the month is too late because you really need (deserve!) to get those meds adjusted.

Are you going for blood tests before the appt. or do you have recent results to bring?

Since it's after 3 pm here, I think I'm through another DD (my pattern is that if I make it to 3, the rest of the day is easy). I had my morning egg white omelet for 40 cal, and an additional 40 cal for my supplements. Then I mashed up a pouch of wild salmon (120 cal) with a little chopped celery and 2T of low fat mayo (70), and had a T of that with my tea during the day. I also had a dill pickle (10), so I'm at my target of C. 300 for the day.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Kisha-

I'm so glad you're going to the doctor earlier. I have been worried that the end of the month is too late because you really need (deserve!) to get those meds adjusted.

Are you going for blood tests before the appt. or do you have recent results to bring?

Since it's after 3 pm here, I think I'm through another DD (my pattern is that if I make it to 3, the rest of the day is easy). I had my morning egg white omelet for 40 cal, and an additional 40 cal for my supplements. Then I mashed up a pouch of wild salmon (120 cal) with a little chopped celery and 2T of low fat mayo (70), and had a T of that with my tea during the day. I also had a dill pickle (10), so I'm at my target of C. 300 for the day.
I have my bloodwork from 02/20 and meds have not changed since then I'll be taking those (TSH FT3 FT4) plus all prior blodwork (that included iron ferritin TPO antibodies etc.) I'll get whatever else he wants me to at the appointment. OMG I can't wait!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh you guys. Serious Passover indiscretions. Can we say matzoh ball soup and macaroons anyone? DD tomorrow. Oy.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #221
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
I hope you enjoyed your Passover dinner! A DD usually takes care of any dietary 'indiscretions'--and that's one of the best things about JUDDD.

I was reading on the Primal Blueprint forum where a guy wrote that he periodically 'carbs up,' but he fasts the next day and finds that he doesn't experience any weight gain or cravings or anything. I think that the DDs on JUDDD function the same way.

I should not congratulate myself too soon on completing a DD, as I did yesterday, because at bedtime, I was SO hungry. But I didn't give in, and this morning, I had breakfast but wasn't ravenous, as you'd expect with that hunger last night. It's amazing how the body settles down if you ignore it. I have to keep that in mind when it tries to insist that I eat more on UDs
Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Successful DD yesterday

Just wanted to share my green smoothie recipe with you guys that I had for dinner: 1 cup chopped frozen spinach (30), 1 raw egg (70) for protein, 8 pieces frozen fruit from Costco (100), vanilla extract, AS and 2 cups water. I have a turbo-charged blender that pulverizes all the food to a cellular level. This tasted really good and when I do a day with green smoothies, I spend more time in the bathroom. I think it flushes me out. But the greatest thing about having that for dinner was that I did not go to bed hungry on a DD!

I've also been reading on these boards that salt water will prevent muscle cramps. Up until I tried it, I've been experiencing some awful cramps in my feet and calves that either wake me up or cripple me temporarily. When I add a pinch of sea salt to 24 oz glass and put filtered water in it - voila! instant relief! So now I've added that as a preventive measure every day. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has that happen too!

Good luck at the doc's office Kisha! and congratulations Leo on seeing numbers you've not seen in a really long time! Awesome job!!! Ouis, I feel your pain but that's why we all JUDDD. A couple of good DD's and you're on your way!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post

I've also been reading on these boards that salt water will prevent muscle cramps. Up until I tried it, I've been experiencing some awful cramps in my feet and calves that either wake me up or cripple me temporarily. When I add a pinch of sea salt to 24 oz glass and put filtered water in it - voila! instant relief! So now I've added that as a preventive measure every day. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has that happen too!
Grammypat - that happened to me yesterday when I was on the treadmill. My calves cramped really bad. So today I put 1/4 teaspoon in my bottled water. I am hoping it will help when I get on the treadmill today. I think I remember it helping before but it's been awhile.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow. There must have been something in the air yesterday. I woke up at 2am with paralyzing cramps in my right front thigh--I had lots and lots of salty food last night (matzoh ball soup!!) so i don't know if salt would help my situation--but I keep reading, and today I am going to go buy some, that "not salt" or whatever no salt (potassium salt) is called really does the trick as well. I suspect that in my case, dehydration triggers the cramps--and they are so awful.

Leo--I do love my DD's and am so grateful for them. They really are the answer to so many many problems. Perhaps my DD will also help with the hangover I am experiencing at the moment :blush: HAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Need to have a good DD today after a 4 up days in a row.
One day at a time!

Interesting info. about salt and cramping and I am not sure what to make of it
since my hubby gets bad leg cramps (not from exercising, usually at night) but
is also supposed to really be careful of salt because he has puffy legs and feet.
I, on the other hand, have taken my low blood pressure readings as a permission
slip to use all my fancy salts liberally on my food.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #226
GME

My DD din't go too well yesterday. After feeling so good about how my thyroid mess has been going, yesterday and Sunday I crashed and got cold about 5:00 each day. I took my meds and they had been working great for the past two months. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, I'll see what he says. I know everyone talks about taking months to get their doses right, I guess I was just hoping I was a lucky one.

So anyway, my point was yesterday was a DD. I did fine all day but when the 5:00 crash hit I just fely like I didn't have the strength to fight the hunger/cravings anymore. That is just how I felt in the months before I got medicated. Tyroid patients really get a raw deal. We can gain weight on practically anything and don't have the energy to focus on eating right. I sat in my chair after work last night and it just felt like an insurmountable task to NOT eat the rest of the night. I came in at about 1000 cals I think.

Oh well, today is a new day. It is technically an UD, but I will just try to stay in the middle to counteract yesterday.

About the leg cramps.... I drink Powerade Zero. I don't have a bottle with me, but it has quite a bit of potassium in it since it is meant to be a sports drink. It is sweetened with sucralose and tastes pretty good too. I think strawberry is the best.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #227
Senior LCF member

Gina-

Do you take T3, and how long has it been since your last blood test? I ask because I've been stable on T4 (Levoxyl) for years, but when I began T3 (Cytomel), I had to have my dosage adjusted (raised) 3x in 16 months.

It also might be just 'normal' exhaustion. I find that since I've been hypo, I don't have the stamina I used to. For example, when I tried to increase the number of laps I swim, I had no difficulty at all while I was swimming--i.e., not tired, etc.--but then I was totally wiped out for the rest of the day. I've read that once you're medicated, cardio has to be more limited, but I don't know if that's true.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
My DD din't go too well yesterday. After feeling so good about how my thyroid mess has been going, yesterday and Sunday I crashed and got cold about 5:00 each day. I took my meds and they had been working great for the past two months. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, I'll see what he says. I know everyone talks about taking months to get their doses right, I guess I was just hoping I was a lucky one.

So anyway, my point was yesterday was a DD. I did fine all day but when the 5:00 crash hit I just fely like I didn't have the strength to fight the hunger/cravings anymore. That is just how I felt in the months before I got medicated. Tyroid patients really get a raw deal. We can gain weight on practically anything and don't have the energy to focus on eating right. I sat in my chair after work last night and it just felt like an insurmountable task to NOT eat the rest of the night. I came in at about 1000 cals I think.

Oh well, today is a new day. It is technically an UD, but I will just try to stay in the middle to counteract yesterday.

About the leg cramps.... I drink Powerade Zero. I don't have a bottle with me, but it has quite a bit of potassium in it since it is meant to be a sports drink. It is sweetened with sucralose and tastes pretty good too. I think strawberry is the best.
Gina... here's my understanding of it: Your thyroid isn't working right and your blood tests show that so you add in T3. Once that T3 is incoming your thyroid shuts down EVEN MORE and you need more T3. More T3 incoming makes your thyroid shut down EVEN MORE. This is why it takes so long to get the meds optimized. Its almost like your chasing your thyroid function down addingmore incoming hormone to make up for it continuing to shut down more. I don't think there's EVER a one dose is right situation becuase the thyroid gland reacts to the new incoming thyroid hormone by decreasing its functioning.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #229
GME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Gina-

Do you take T3, and how long has it been since your last blood test? I ask because I've been stable on T4 (Levoxyl) for years, but when I began T3 (Cytomel), I had to have my dosage adjusted (raised) 3x in 16 months.

It also might be just 'normal' exhaustion. I find that since I've been hypo, I don't have the stamina I used to. For example, when I tried to increase the number of laps I swim, I had no difficulty at all while I was swimming--i.e., not tired, etc.--but then I was totally wiped out for the rest of the day. I've read that once you're medicated, cardio has to be more limited, but I don't know if that's true.
I take only T3 (which I guess is unusual). I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago and will find out the results tomorrow.

Its funny you mention the stamina. I have the opposite problem. I have plenty of energy to walk or do regular stuff, but when I get out to run I completely bonk. I expected it at first because I pretty much quit running for the past four months, but my endurance is not returning. Once I am done though, I'm fine.

I've heard that about the cardio too, but there is a running board I visit that has a whole section for runners with thyroid problems and they seem to be OK once they get their meds straightened out.

I thought about whether it was "regular" tired or not. After all, everyone gets tired. It is the cold though that makes me think its thyroid related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Gina... here's my understanding of it: Your thyroid isn't working right and your blood tests show that so you add in T3. Once that T3 is incoming your thyroid shuts down EVEN MORE and you need more T3. More T3 incoming makes your thyroid shut down EVEN MORE. This is why it takes so long to get the meds optimized. Its almost like your chasing your thyroid function down addingmore incoming hormone to make up for it continuing to shut down more. I don't think there's EVER a one dose is right situation becuase the thyroid gland reacts to the new incoming thyroid hormone by decreasing its functioning.
This could well be what is going on. The doctor gave me three different doses of T3- low, med & high (all slow release so I only take them once per day). I took the low dose for 10 days and felt about like I am now- pretty good but crashing at 5:00. The med dose had me good all day. I tried the higher one and felt kind of shaky so I called him and backed back down to med where I felt great until Sunday. This morning I took the higher dose again and felt a tiny bit shaky, but not as much as last time. It's a little after 2:00 now so we'll see what happens this evening.

Thanks for the concern guys!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #230
Senior LCF member

Yeah, Gina, my lack of stamina could just be old age

I'm thinking of switching to the time-release Cytomel (compounded), mainly because I now have to take it 3x a day, and I sometimes forget. And it has to be separated from my calcium by 4 hours, so sometimes I don't take the calcium, etc. But it means going to a different pharmacy and trying something different, and inertia usually wins out with me.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Dehydration contributes to cramping

I'm convinced of it because when I eat low calorie and low carb, my body gets rid of a lot of fluid. And unless I drink enough water, I'm going to start cramping up. The pinch of salt helps the body stay hydrated, otherwise the water keeps passing on through. And I think sea salt is good because it has the minerals the body needs to not cramp up.

Now that I'm incorporating more green into my diet (so I can not crave sugar and chocolate stuff), I notice I go to the bathroom more so I'm more mindful of drinking water to replace what my body is eliminating...

Michelle, how did you make out on the treadmill using your "salt" water?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
I'm convinced of it because when I eat low calorie and low carb, my body gets rid of a lot of fluid. And unless I drink enough water, I'm going to start cramping up. The pinch of salt helps the body stay hydrated, otherwise the water keeps passing on through. And I think sea salt is good because it has the minerals the body needs to not cramp up.

Now that I'm incorporating more green into my diet (so I can not crave sugar and chocolate stuff), I notice I go to the bathroom more so I'm more mindful of drinking water to replace what my body is eliminating...

Michelle, how did you make out on the treadmill using your "salt" water?
Actually, it didn't help much at all, but maybe I need to do it a few days. Or maybe it's because I really haven't done much exercise all winter. It starts burning and cramping as soon as I start walking. It's not even very strenuous.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #233
Senior LCF member

Just a comment on the potassium issue. I have always read that low carb is diuretic and that we have to be careful about potassium loss. I used to worry about that, but I have my blood checked every 4 mos, and my potassium levels have always been at the high end of the range.

I drink a lot of fluids and pee like crazy, but I seem to do fine with potassium retention. Perhaps this is another of those YMMV issues.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good DD yesterday--under 500 (which is high for some of you, but great for me). UD today--and I have it planned out really well. Here it is!

B: Miracle noodle "oatmeal"

L: Egg salad on cheese bread (gotta get rid of all those HBE's leftover)

s: probably an HBE, lol!

D: leftover chicken, roasted asparagus, cukes

dessert: 1 pc 99% cacao chocolate

I have a big workout planned for this morning with my trainer. Grammy, I hear ya on the dehydration. I def am more prone to the cramping following workouts. I drink Powerade Zero all the time, as well as trying to hydrate frequently, but maybe I need more salts. I am going to try the "No Salt" approach too and see if that helps. The thigh cramps I got the other night were worse than any childbirth pain I ever had. It is still sore.

G'Day to all my buds.

Ouis
Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #235
Senior LCF member

Finishing up my DD at about 340 cal., and I'm finding that my 'pattern' seems to have changed.

Since I started JUDDD, I've always had 3 'meals' of 100-150 cal each during the day, and that seemed to satisfy me. Lately, I've been hungry in the mornings. At first I was afraid to eat more because I was sure I'd escalate throughout the day. But the opposite happens. If I eat about 200 or 250 cal (mainly protein) in the morning, I'm very satisfied. I usually add 100 cal about 3-4 pm, and that's it for the day. It's interesting to me that I can actually listen to my body sometimes (I usually see it as the enemy, always wanting to add fat).
Old 03-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hooray for listening to our bodies!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Trying an experiment

As most of you know, I have attempted JUDD a few times and haven't been able to stick with it very long successfully. I really felt it kind of heightened my urge to "binge" on UD's and I never could get them under control.

Well, I really feel that alternate day eating is the best way for me to control calories and I'm a true believer of the philosophy of "calories in, calories out" for weight loss. I have returned faithfully to my water aerobics at least 3 times/week (knee issues so can't walk) and haven't been able to successfully get my eating under control. Realize I have to stay away from sugar/white flour or my cravings get the best of me.

SO.....am doing my own version of JUDD, I guess. Have decided to stay under 800cal on DD and under 1800cal on UD. If I do MWF DD rotation, that averages to 1400cal/day for the week and I feel I will successfully lose at that rate since I have 100+lb to lose. I know that goes against Dr. Johnson's theory of the two week induction period and activating that gene, but I'm doing this purely as a way to limit calorie intake, while at the same time not feeling deprived. I just didn't do well on 500 calories...was always starving and feeling deprived and then more than made up for it on UD's and felt I had free rein.

Will give this a try and see what happens....started Monday. Keeping track on Livestrong Daily Plate and so far had M (778), T (1689), W (748) and feeling very satisfied. I am sticking to mainly fruits, veggies and lean proteins with my oat bran for breakfast on UD and the only dairy an occasional plain yogurt.

Of course I leave next Thursdy for vacation and will be gone until 4/30, but I feel like if I get a good start, I will be more in control over vacation. I also have a pretty good idea of calorie counts, so will be trying to estimate as I go and at least not come home having gained anything.

I've always felt that JUDD would be the answer for me eventually, and have decided to try my own version. Anything's better than what I've been doing lately....last 4 weeks I've lost 8, gained 2.5, lost 7.5, gained 7. This yo-yoing is really bad for me and have to find something I can stick with and live with. Guess I just have to resist the sugar and flour...I get a taste and can't get back in control.

Besides...I'm sick of lurking and love the support on this forum!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
As most of you know, I have attempted JUDD a few times and haven't been able to stick with it very long successfully. I really felt it kind of heightened my urge to "binge" on UD's and I never could get them under control.

Well, I really feel that alternate day eating is the best way for me to control calories and I'm a true believer of the philosophy of "calories in, calories out" for weight loss. I have returned faithfully to my water aerobics at least 3 times/week (knee issues so can't walk) and haven't been able to successfully get my eating under control. Realize I have to stay away from sugar/white flour or my cravings get the best of me.

SO.....am doing my own version of JUDD, I guess. Have decided to stay under 800cal on DD and under 1800cal on UD. If I do MWF DD rotation, that averages to 1400cal/day for the week and I feel I will successfully lose at that rate since I have 100+lb to lose. I know that goes against Dr. Johnson's theory of the two week induction period and activating that gene, but I'm doing this purely as a way to limit calorie intake, while at the same time not feeling deprived. I just didn't do well on 500 calories...was always starving and feeling deprived and then more than made up for it on UD's and felt I had free rein.

Will give this a try and see what happens....started Monday. Keeping track on Livestrong Daily Plate and so far had M (778), T (1689), W (748) and feeling very satisfied. I am sticking to mainly fruits, veggies and lean proteins with my oat bran for breakfast on UD and the only dairy an occasional plain yogurt.

Of course I leave next Thursdy for vacation and will be gone until 4/30, but I feel like if I get a good start, I will be more in control over vacation. I also have a pretty good idea of calorie counts, so will be trying to estimate as I go and at least not come home having gained anything.

I've always felt that JUDD would be the answer for me eventually, and have decided to try my own version. Anything's better than what I've been doing lately....last 4 weeks I've lost 8, gained 2.5, lost 7.5, gained 7. This yo-yoing is really bad for me and have to find something I can stick with and live with. Guess I just have to resist the sugar and flour...I get a taste and can't get back in control.

Besides...I'm sick of lurking and love the support on this forum!
Dude I think it will work! That is a good way to do the calorie restriction. Its like Atkins... some people CAN'T do induction but you can get there by gradually stepping down. Who knows you may eventually decrease your DD cals to 500 and do a "JUDD Induction" somewhere in the middle of your journey LOL. Your plan sounds way doable and I think you will have success.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Dude I think it will work! That is a good way to do the calorie restriction. Its like Atkins... some people CAN'T do induction but you can get there by gradually stepping down. Who knows you may eventually decrease your DD cals to 500 and do a "JUDD Induction" somewhere in the middle of your journey LOL. Your plan sounds way doable and I think you will have success.
Thanks, Kisha, for the encouraging words....it sure can't hurt!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #240
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-

I agree with Kisha that yours is a good plan. While it might not be pure JUDDD, it's a form of calorie cycling that can really be helpful to those of us who need to restrict calories. I do JUDDD, but it's primarily for the calorie cycling (I don't think the science is there to back up some of Dr. J's other claims, but I'm not scientist either).

Don't be surprised if 1400 cal is too high because a lot of the online estimators are just generic, and everyone is different. When I was 300lbs, I lost best on no more than 1200 cal--even though I had a nutritionist tell me that I should not go under 1800. I tried her way (because I love to eat!), and gained rapidly at that level, so I dropped back.

I hope you can lose at 1400 because you seem to be comfortable with that number. And remind yourself that vacation is about relaxing, enjoying new experiences, and NOT about food! You can eat well and still stay within your calorie limits.

By the way, I'm seeing a surgeon today about my knees, although my focus will be on whether I can avoid the surgery--i.e., I'm willing to live with my limitations so long as the prognosis is not disaster down the road.