Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #181
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Kisha-
Ah, flax muffins! I had to give them up even before JUDDD because although I loved them, they just didn't seem worth 300 cal--and as you discovered this morning, it's really easy to eat more than one

Michelle-
If I ate higher carbs, I don't think I could do JUDDD! Although my appetite doesn't vanish on low carb (as other people report), with higher carbs, my appetite is just enormous. In that state, a DD would be impossible for me.

By the way, I'm not too sure we need as many carbs as is frequently recommended here for hypos. My endo sees no problem with the way I eat, and I know that low calorie is supposed to suppress the thyroid. Perhaps since I'm medicated, that's compensating a little? I don't know, but I do know that I feel great and my thyroid numbers haven't dropped significantly--and I eat very low calorie and rather low carb. On DDs, it's really very low carb, and I probably only get about 20g carbs at the most on UDs.

Dasiey-
Eggs are a great DD food! If you can eat whole eggs, 5 eggs would be only 350 cal with great nutrition.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Leo - I never know what to believe about thyroid and carbs. I seem to feel alot more energetic when I eat lower carb. Lately, I have been over 100 carbs a day and some days I have been over 300. I do not plan on going extremely low but maybe under 50 or so. I bet I will feel better.

I agree on the eggs...they are great for DD's and very filling.
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #183
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
what about cubed beef.
would that be low in calories
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #184
Senior LCF member

daisey-

Beef is among the higher calories in meat, but it all depends on your portion size. I never eat anything on DDs unless I know the calorie count. I find that Calorie King is really helpful. You can just enter the food on the site, and they give you the calories. They will only give specific portions--like 1oz, for example, so you need to know how many ounces you have.

If I eat meat on a DD, it's usually skinless chicken because of the lower calories, but I tend to stick to fish (which I love) because that's really low.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
daisey--check out our JUDDD down day recipes thread. Lots of great ideas there for DD foods. I don't eat til dinner so I have all my calories figured out in advance and all my foods figured out in advance--that is easiest for me. Others --like Leo--eat during the day--you just have to figure out what works best for you!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...y-recipes.html
Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Thanks guys
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Breaking-the-Fast

Just wanted to say that going IF for 24 hrs is just too hard for me! It sets me up for bingeing....and this is after trying it only for two fasting days. JUDDD is so much easier, maybe because I've done it longer. Yesterday was a fasting day, not eating until 6pm last night and by 5pm, I was so hungry, I couldn't wait. I ate a turkey sandwich, M&M's and then topped it off with a fat free yogurt from Costco! Got on the scale this morning and gained 2 lbs. What did I expect? So am going back to JUDDD and low carb on the UD's. Wow. They make IF sound so easy, but when I try to actually do it....there is no way.
JUDDD is more gentle on my system on the DD's because I can eat throughout the day when I get hungry, and still get the effects of CR.
GrammyPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #189
Senior LCF member

Thanks for the encouragement, Ouis--I made it yesterday--DD at about 320 cal! I was sure I was destined for an UD because I was so hungry in the morning, but with an eggwhite omelet and some chicken (c.300 cal), I was satisfied for most of the day. Around 4 pm, I had a few slices of my 'homemade' dill pickles (about 20 cal), and that was it. I've never had a DD before when I ate almost all my calories by 7 am, but it worked.

GrammyPat- I'm like you. Sometimes just knowing that I 'can't eat' will make me so anxious that all I can think of is food.

When I tried my experiment of eating on DDs only between 10 am and 2 pm, I found that I was much too focused on the time limits--i.e., mentally, I was exhausted trying to make sure I only ate during those hours. Except for yesterday (which was a unique DD for me), I have a lot more success spreading my DD calories throughout the day.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Grammy--one thing I love about JUDDD is that we can really pay attention to patterns of what works and what does not--it is like there is an open field and you can observe the players on the field and change the plays if it is not working. When we experiment with this or that (damn internet!) that we have read about, it quickly becomes apparent what works to move the ball down the field and when we really need to regroup.

So glad you figured out what worked for you! I think the desire to binge is nature's way of saying something isn't working. When I really increased my fat intake, I started binging on my UD's--WHOOPS--that means change back to lower fat and walaa--no more binging. MINDFULNESS seems to be so important to successful JUDDDing!

Leo--I know you are struggling with a setpoint--and so your body keeps making you hungry! I am so glad that giving in and feeding yourself still meant a doable dd. You are so strong! if ANYONE is going to make goal, Leo, it is going to be you!

DD for me today--pants continuing to loosen (my new measuring device since I have banned the naughty scale )--bookclub dinner tonight, which means I have to be vigilant and strong--I have a 100 cal pack of almonds and walnuts in my car and can always eat something if there isn't much appropriate, but I can usually at least have salad at these things.

Have a great day to everyone!

Ouis
Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #191
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
I'm not sure whether I'm experiencing a set point because my understanding is that's a weight that you've been for a period of time, so your body will want to settle there. That seems to have happened to me at about 250 lbs, but now I'm in pure VFT. I haven't been below 200 in more than 35 years, and then ever so briefly!

What I fear is that I may be experiencing something that Jenny posted about a while ago, and that's the body's resistance to loss after a 20% bodyweight loss. She cited studies that indicate it might be best to try to maintain for a few months when that happens because the body will totally resist weight loss. I began JUDDD at about 254 lbs, and I got to 184 but then went up 2 lbs. That's more than 20%, so that's why I might have stopped losing. I'm going to see what happens over the next couple of weeks, and if I still don't lose, I might up my DD calories to just maintain for a while.

I could actually stop at this weight. Although I'm only 5'5", I feel and look great at 170, and right now I probably have at least 20 lbs of excess skin from this big loss (I started at about 340). In any case, I'll decide in a couple of weeks how I want to proceed.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys!!

Well, I am still struggling. Sorry to keep talking about my struggles, but I have decided this weekend I am going to go VERY low carb to get my appetite under control. VLC does not kill my appetite (nothing does that..lol), but it gives me more control. I am going to try that and I am confident it will be just what I need to get it together. Today is a DD and I am starting the VLC today.

I will check in later.

Michelle
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Michelle--sorry you are struggling--hope vlc does the trick!

I am heading into Passover week and DD's are going to be hard to come by for several days--I think I am going to do as many MD's as possible--

Here is today--an UD

B: protein shake

L: personal pan "pizza" (crust is psyllium, oatfiber, protein powder and a little cheese--topped with turkey pepperoni, a little lc tomato sauce, and mozzarella for less than 300 cals for the whole thing)

s if needed: couple of HBE's

dinner out tonight

Posting on UD"s has been a good thing!

Ouis
Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #194
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
Hey guys!!

Well, I am still struggling. Sorry to keep talking about my struggles, but I have decided this weekend I am going to go VERY low carb to get my appetite under control. VLC does not kill my appetite (nothing does that..lol), but it gives me more control. I am going to try that and I am confident it will be just what I need to get it together. Today is a DD and I am starting the VLC today.

I will check in later.

Michelle
Keep posting! I'm struggling too... and keep slowly gaining. I'm totally low carb but way too many cals. I'm considering a few days of stillmans... (VLCarb VLFat)
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #195
Senior LCF member

Michelle-
I'm like you; nothing kills my appetite, but with VLC, it's fairly well controlled (if I control it). That is, VLC makes my DDs possible. If I ate more than 10g of carbs on a DD, my eating would be out of control. I always read on the Main Lobby where people say that they have to force themselves to eat because of low carb, and I'm amazed. I can always eat--unfortunately.

Ouis-
Just keep in mind how forgiving JUDDD is. Even with a series of UDs, a few DDs will lessen the damage considerably. Enjoy Passover!

Kisha-
I really wish you well. But why Stillman's? If you know it's just too many calories, can't you just reduce the calories without the draconian measures of Stillman? On second thought, I always say that all this is at least 80% mental, so if Stillman's gives you the confidence to eat less, it's probably a good idea. You used to be the Queen of DDs, and I guess you've lost confidence in your ability to do DDs?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Kisha I will definetly keep posting. It helps me when I am posting.

Leo Unfortunetly, I NEVER have to force myself to eat. I can always eat. I really think the VLC will help.

So far so good on my DD today. I am sending hubby to store today to make sure I have low carb stuff for the weekend.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Michelle-
I'm like you; nothing kills my appetite, but with VLC, it's fairly well controlled (if I control it). That is, VLC makes my DDs possible. If I ate more than 10g of carbs on a DD, my eating would be out of control. I always read on the Main Lobby where people say that they have to force themselves to eat because of low carb, and I'm amazed. I can always eat--unfortunately.

Ouis-
Just keep in mind how forgiving JUDDD is. Even with a series of UDs, a few DDs will lessen the damage considerably. Enjoy Passover!

Kisha-
I really wish you well. But why Stillman's? If you know it's just too many calories, can't you just reduce the calories without the draconian measures of Stillman? On second thought, I always say that all this is at least 80% mental, so if Stillman's gives you the confidence to eat less, it's probably a good idea. You used to be the Queen of DDs, and I guess you've lost confidence in your ability to do DDs?
yeah its like the ability to do them is just GONE! Honestly it seems to coincide with the timing of my endo putting me on cytomel. It might all be in my head but it seems to REALLY affect my appetite.

I guess my thinking is that the only time I have ever really experienced true appetite supression due to deep deep ketosis is when I was on Stillmans. Maybe a few days of it will get me back into ketosis and stop me from EATING ALL THE TIME.

I'm just tossin thoughts around really... I also finally figured out how much soy is in the tofu shirataki that I can get locally and I can't eat them anymore!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Just to check in, mostly over the respiratory thing, a few things hanging on-Including 4 of the 10 pounds I gained that month. %^^$$*& steroids. I couldn't seem to do much positive JUDDD wise, mostly MDs alternate with UDs. Just couldn't manage low calorie days. or exercise.
Anyway, back and I feel more "normal", whatever that is. Had my first real DD in months..Can't seem to make the shake and soup things I liked so well work right now, either. I am thankful for everyone's posts for more solid food suggestions
Anyway, I'll be back or lurking, keep up the good work, everyone, you always inspire me.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

warning: specialty ingredients for those of us who do specialty ingredients. I just made a GREAT oatmeal sub vlc/vlcalorie

1 Tbs golden flaxseed 30 cals
2 Tbs oatfiber
1 Tbs psyllium fiber
2 Tbs whey protein powder 30 cals
1 packet rinsed and drained shirataki noodles (may not be necessary to the final outcome, but I threw em in)
liquid of your choice (I used (sigh--I know AS) vanilla davincis

Blend and heat in microwave. So good and so filling for under 100 calories. totally tasted like oatmeal. I put a packet of truvia and a tiny bit of half and half on top. yum. I am in a highly experimental kitchen mood lately and I like where my imagination has been leading me. I am back using AS but only for lowcal lowcarb concoctions! oh well, makes me happy even if it isn't very primal

ouis

Last edited by ouizoid; 03-26-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #200
Senior LCF member

Kisha-
The Cytomel does raise your metabolism (T3 level), so perhaps it did make you hungry. When I began Cytomel, my T3 was so very low, and I was so totally fatigued that all it did was unable me to get through the day without having to nap for 3 hrs. Going for appetite suppression is a good move; you always make good choices when you're stuck, rather than just bemoan your fate. It's a good example for all of us

My own mantra when I struggle on DDs is "I've done this before so I can do it today." It really seems to work [so far; keeping fingers crossed].

Nitenurse-
If you can't do DDs right now, why not try for a string of MDs. The only thing that makes UDs possible for me are my DDs, so if I couldn't do DDs, I'd be afraid that I'd gain if I did UDs--i.e., without DDs, I couldn't eat to the calorie level I do on UDs without gaining.

Ouis-
Before I got to your last line, I was about to write, "Have you abandoned primal?" But now I know that you are aware
Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh NO leo! I love primal--but have had to recognize that the 80-20 rule applies to me--there were aspects of pure primal that activated my deprivation stuff--and I was remedying that with too much fatty sweet stuff. I have accepted my desire for sweets for now and let my very low calorie very low carb creative juices flow, to good effect (for moi!) No--I love primal and eat that way most of the time. I feel something very powerful lives in switching O6s to O3s, to eating grassfed and wild--but too much fat was not my friend in many different ways. Live and learn
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #202

something weird going on with my posts... says they must be approved by a moderator?

ETA: Weird. Maybe only in the thyroid forum? weird!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

huh Kisha? Whatever for? how bizarre!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
huh Kisha? Whatever for? how bizarre!
o so weird! the last post I tried on a thread in the thyroid forum said "thank you for posting your post will appear after it is approved by a moderator"

wah? weird! I just tried a few more and it didn't happen again?

I was like "WOAH I must've been a baaaaaad pirate!"
Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #205
Senior LCF member

I wonder whether they're trying to control the medical threads a little more?

Or it could just be a glitch in the system?

Surely no one would be monitoring you, Kisha. You contribute the most positive and helpful comments on these boards.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #206

Quote:
I wonder whether they're trying to control the medical threads a little more?

Or it could just be a glitch in the system?

Surely no one would be monitoring you, Kisha. You contribute the most positive and helpful comments on these boards.
awwwww thanks! I have totally been reprimanded before for TOS stuff usually mentioning other products/websites (now allowed)
Old 03-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

really? You can do that now? I got scolded for mentioning my daughter's website--which is awesome (the website, I mean)
Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
really? You can do that now? I got scolded for mentioning my daughter's website--which is awesome (the website, I mean)
yeah they can totally be mentioned. There's a stick at the top of the ML explaining the "terms of use" change. You still can't LINK to a site that sells anything though.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #209
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

OK! The scale finally went down this morning, but I really don't think I can claim specific "pounds" because of this month's 'adventures.'

Here's what my chart looks like by week: 183, 184, 185, 181 [today].

What I suspect was going on was that my body was resisting loss because I found myself very hungry on UDs during those two weeks when the scale went up. That's unusual for me, so I [foolishly] just ate more. All good primal eating, but definitely more calories than usual--thus, the gains--which may have been mostly water weight since I went down so quickly.

This week, I really watched the UDs carefully. DDs are usually not a problem for me because I'm too stubborn to give in, but it's too easy to overeat on UDs unless I'm careful.

I also wonder whether my unintentional IF this week helped me lose. You may remember that on Wednesday, I ate almost all of my DD calories for breakfast, so I 'almost' fasted (except for some pickle slices) until the next morning. I also did something similar on a couple of UDs--i.e., ate very lightly for supper [or skipped it entirely] because I had most of my calories earlier.

In any case, it's good to see the scale go down again, and I intend to continue to keep a watch on my UDs. To keep myself from getting "burn out" from having to monitor calories so closely, I'll plan 'treats' with different types of food. Today, for example, I have radishes that I'm going to make into "home fries," which I haven't done in a long time (pure laziness).

I have gone on at such great length in case my struggles help someone else who is struggling to lose. It's hard to fight a body that wants to keep all its fat!

Last edited by Leo41; 03-27-2010 at 02:33 AM..
Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weekly Weigh In

OK! The scale finally went down this morning, but I really don't think I can claim specific "pounds" because of this month's 'adventures.'

Here's what my chart looks like by week: 183, 184, 185, 181 [today].

Congrats Leo. You are really kicking butt and it's great to see JUDDD continue to work for you.

I had a great DD yesterday. I ended up around 270 calories. I actually dropped 5 lbs of water weight overnight. It is amazing that I actually hold that much water. I still have more water weight to go and my UD today is going to be VLC like I planned.