Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys!

We got back from Galveston last night and it's good to be home. The good news is I stuck to my DD's the whole time and I also managed to utilize the fitness center. The bad news is my UD's were crazy....

But I am home and have my meals planned and going grocery shopping today so I am stocked on good food.

Kisha - Sorry about the strep. I would stay off the scale!

Ouis- I am a La Croiux addict. LOVE THEM. I buy them by the case at Costco. They are a life saver.

So glad it's an UD today. I have it all planned and it's going to be a normal UD.

Michelle

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Wow--I can't follow my own advice--I shopped in my closet last night. I fit into all my size 8 pants (last time I wore them I was on *******. what a disaster) and I fit well--I even had a couple of size 6's that were snug but buttonable. I tried everything on because I could tell I had lost--so I felt it was ok to weigh. I weighed in at 167! Higher than the past two weeks!==I know I weigh a lot to wear such a small pant size, but I have a lot of muscle mass and heavy bones--Anyhow, I am determined not to freak out about it--it is just the stupid scale and there are multiple reasons for the gain or whatever it is. I am going by the clothes damnit!

Leo--I agree--I am not sure why this thread has slowed down so much. I think some of our more prolific posters (Bill, etc) are gone. I would love to see more activity here. Maybe we need to have a topic?

I am going to keep posting my UD food to keep myself accountable.

Psyllium pancakes cooked in pasture butter

tuna sandwich on cheese "bread"

100 cal pack almonds/walnuts

dinner: steak salad

maybe a couple of mac nuts for "dessert"

AND I plan some long slow walks today!

How about everyone else?

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 207.5/197.5/149
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
Start Date: restart JUDDD 7/4/14
Good Morning!! I will try to post more, usually I try in the morning before I go to work.

I hope to follow Leo and not measure in the future. I also didn't have a realistic concept of portion size and calories, hope the website I mentioned helps someone.

The other thing that I really need to concentrate on is going more lowcarb in my meal choices. Basically, I have been maintaining my weight eating all kinds of foods. For health and weight loss, I need to eat lowcarb.

Thank you Ouis for posting your UD menu. My focus has really been only on DDs, now I should balance that focus on the UDs (which I have been overeating on lately).

Michelle-what is La Crouix? That is so cool that you were able to stay on your DDs and exercise on your vacation!!!

Trying to think of topics we can discuss......what are you doing differently now with JUDDD than at the beginning? What other benefits (other than weight loss) have you seen while doing JUDDD?
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Before I forget, I was using a lot of low calorie frozen meals to take to work for my DDs, so I wasn't contributing that much to the JUDDD recipe thread. Hopefully, in the near future with low carb cookbooks and low carb recipe sites, I can start adding more ideas to that thread.

Do you feel that you do better eating the same foods (especially during DDs) or would you rather have a lot of variety? I am on the fence about this, part of me wants to be creative with cooking, but then I think I might be more successful if I had a "set" menu that I rotate. Maybe another topic for us!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetaz View Post

Michelle-what is La Crouix? That is so cool that you were able to stay on your DDs and exercise on your vacation!
La Crouix is basically just carbonated water. They have different flavors. I love them, but I know people that can't stand them. All my kids love them, but it took awhile for that. I don't buy any sodas so that's about as close as they get to one.
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #126
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
GOOD MORNING`

I feel pretty good! I think that steroid shot for the inflamation made all the difference in the amount of throat pain I'm experiencing.

My boss told me NOT to go to work today because I'm probably contagous. Since I don't feel awful I'll be doing chores and laundry today.

I'm also going for a DD though maybe MD is more realistic. I'll be making a broth/shirataki/veg soup to nosh on throughout the day.

I'm staying OFF the scale mostly because I know I can't handle what it would say LOL.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #127
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
janetaz-
I wasn't criticizing you for measuring. The only reason I don't is that I'm a really experienced calorie counter (in my youth, there were not diet plans and no one knew low carb--it was all calories, so I'm a pro

Ouis-
Why are you trying to lose weight? If I could wear size 8 pants, I'd be in maintenance so fast! It just proves how flawed the scale is in terms of 'optimum weights.' So much depends on your build, etc.

But I thought I was the only one who made psyllium pancakes! I need the psyllium for regularity, and I found that it's nice in omelets. I've also mixed it with mayo in my tuna salad AND in my broth (makes a thicker soup).

Kisha-
Really glad you're on the mend! And your boss was right to tell you to stay home, even if you're not contagious. Strep is one of those things that can result in a relapse if you do too much too soon. So try not to overdo the chores and relax a little.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Leo! I am still fat! I just have a small a*s Seriously, I have big legs and fat arms and a belly and a small behind and narrowish hips. I have been seriously fat most of my life--I also think my size "8s and 6s" are vanity sizing related--I really think both Ann taylor and Banana republic use vanity sizing. Maybe at some point I will post pictures--do you do Facebook?

I LOVE psyllium pancakes! Especially on DD's. Tell you a secret, I do not count any of the psyllium calories in my count--I make my DD pancakes with 2 T psyllium, 1/2 scoop PP and 1/4 cup eggbeaters, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a bit of DaVincis (I know, I know, AS )--and for 65 calories, I get 3 delicious and FILLING pancakes. Just makes life easier! I hold off and eat them just before dinner, and it makes my dinner kind of stick with me for the rest of the evening!

I am going to have to try the broth thing, although I often will put in a package of snipped and rinsed shirataki noodles (0 cals/0carbs).

I also have made faux "oatmeal" with shirataki noodles, psyllium, davinci's and an immersion blender--then zap til hot in the micro! Filling and no calories!

Yay! Recipes!!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Leo! I know you weren't! Totally didn't take it that way.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Just checking in, I am still totally screwed up from the antibiotics and steroids, and still a little bit lung congestion from the pneumonia. That said, my wt is up at least 8 lbs, which is about where I was Jan 15-but I am still so much better off than I was a year ago, just a little bump in the road.
I am having problems with my dds, they all turn out to be mds, the past couple weeks, but this happened last fall, so am confident that one fine day I will be back on track.
Thank heavens spring finally got here!!!
Thanks for the recipes,Ouis. I think I will use them some dds, writing it down.
I will keep posting regardless.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ohhhhhhh, NN--that would be so hard! Hang in there with us, and when you are feeling better, JUDDD will heal all! Please take care of you--and check in whenever you feel up to it--we are thinking of you

Ouis
Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #132
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
No, I don't do Facebook--too much of a dinosaur for that. However, I usually don't use psyllium on my DDs because I DO count the calories. My brand lists 34 cal per T, so I use it only on UDs or MDs. (I don't count the carbs because the fiber cancels it out.)

Nitenurse--Here's hoping you and Kisha will both be well soon. There's nothing like illness to knock you off any eating plan. We're now in the 60s in NYC (for a couple of days), so spring is definitely in the air. That should help you both recover.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Hi all,

Not much to report here. I am sort of doing more Eat Stop Eat than JUDDD! I am doing two 24 hours fasts a week. This is keeping me nicely at my maintenance weight and I only have to fast 2 days a week. It's not a total fast, I still eat once a day, the same amount of cals as I would have on a DD. So I fast Tues and Thurs. That means I don't eat after Monday at 5:30 and I eat again Tues at 5:30 (I drink water and clear tea).

Ouis - I must get those noodles! Your concotion sounds great!

Nitenurse - sounds awful. I hope you are on the mend!

Janetaz - I like routine on my fast/DD's so I tend to have the same things. But I love variety on my eat/UD's!

Kisha - hope you feel better soon!

Hi Michelle!

Leo - I laughed out loud about your dinosaur comment. My dad was the same way. He completely blanched when his boss told him he had to carry a cell phone when on call (he is a pathologist). He barely got used to the pager! Now he is on Facebook but only so he can see picture of his kids and grandkids. He doesn't actually use it!

Hi to e/e. The weather here is FANTASTIC! I'm on March break and took the kids to the Maple Syrup Festival at the conservation area near our house. So much fun. My girls turned 4 on Sunday! Crazy how time flies!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo--TJ's psyllium--which is just plain psyllium and nothin else --states that it is 35 cals for 2 Tbs--10 carbs, 9 of em fiber

now whoever knows, right? But that is what it says!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #135
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
Mine is pure psyillium too (from Netrition), so I should check again--perhaps it's for 2 rather than 1 (which would make me happy).

Got through another DD. I added a lot of chopped spinach to my chicken broth, and it was so thick and satisfying for very few calories.

I need to find some different things to eat on UDs because they're getting too 'routine.' Dr. J writes about the UDs being important to keep a person from getting "diet fatigue," and I'm beginning to understand what he means. I got into the habit of eating the same things all the time, and I need to introduce more variety into my UDs--not more calories, just variety.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo--I agree completely about the variety thing. Variety and habit--the food twins!

I confess I go thru food fads! I enjoy eating one thing until I get bored with it, but that can take months. Ever since I discovered cheese "bread" (two slices organic american cheese nuked on parchment paper for 50 seconds) I have been loving my tuna salad sandwiches--I dream about them on DD's, lol, but I know that fascination will likely only last a few months, and then I will be on to something else I also tried a BLT on cheese bread, and it was good too, but I think I had been yearning for a tuna sandwich for forever. Now if I could only figure out how to make grilled cheese cheese bread sandwiches, I would be in heaven

DD for me today, and a busy day--which is always good for me on a DD. I am doing my DD's mostly on T, Th, Sun--and that is an excellent pattern for me! Friday and Saturday are always busy social times, and I need flexibility on those days.

So, I am thinking of having a carb-up on Saturday. Even though I am really getting leaner (a la primal blueprint) since I changed what kind of food I eat, I actually haven't lost any scale weight. I know, I know, but I am wondering if since I keep my carbs very low all the time, I don't need to have a reset of some kind. Leo--as our resident carbup expert, what do you think? Anyone else do this?

Ouis
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #137
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Hey JUDDD friends,

I'm still chugging along, not really JUDDDing but feeling good and losing a teensy bit (soooo much better than the gaining I was doing) since I got my thyroid medicated. I'm not back where I was pre-thyroid crash yet, but I am inching closer.

I thought you all might be interested in this... Fast way to better health | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. from Michael Eades' blog. He doesn't name JUDDD, but talks about the benefits of fasting plans.

Leo, you are smokin'
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #138
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

Although I carb-up about every six weeks, I really don't know whether it helps or not. I read an article a long time ago that folks who keeps their carbs low routinely should carb up about once a month--the article was by Dr. John Salerno (before he put out his own diet plan), and he used to work with Dr. Atkins. He had a lot of physical reasons for this that made sense to me at the time. However, I never noticed an increased loss after doing this [his point was that it will prevent a stall], and right now, I seem to be stuck, so this time it didn't help at all.

What HAS seemed to help on JUDDD is a one-day calorie increase. In the past, when I went overboard (usually on a Sunday) and ate about 2500 cal (compared to my UD range of 1400-1600), I would always get a good loss the following week. This has happened to me at least 3x (the increased calorie days were at least a month apart), but I fear doing it on a regular basis because it might only be a coincidence and I might just gain.

This losing weight is tough--definitely not for wimps
Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

a hungry hungry DD. Haven't had one of those in a long time--I managed to wait til almost 5pm to eat--and had about 550 calories, but it was a challenging day. It may be because I am trying not to overeat on my UD's, which will hopefully lead to some new weight loss! Trying to stay positive here.

Ouis
Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #140
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

I've been especially hungry on my UDs this week, and I think I've been overdoing it. Eating Primal but probably just too much food, so I doubt I'll have a loss tomorrow.

What's strange is that UDs have never been a problem for me before--never really hungry and satisfied with my calorie allotment. Suddenly, I was so hungry this week, and I wonder whether it was 'real' hunger or just psychological. In any case, I need to return to my usual UD calorie limit.

Eternal vigilance is the price of weight loss
Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Leo--I also wonder if the onset of Spring is part of it--we have hibernated and used up our fat stores (LOL!!) and the sun is out and we are hungry? Just a theory.

UD today, and I am switching things up. I have been eating too much fat for me. Unlike all those primal dudes, I think some women (Old, menopausal, hypothyroid) might need a few less fat calories. Not crazylowfat, but just a bit lower. I am going to focus a bit more on protein and see what happens. Time to experiment! Still focusing on no PUFAs and fish and pasteured eggs and all that, but just a bit lower.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #142

Happy Friday

I'm at work again today... not quite 100% yet but feeling okay.

I've sort of got a DD scheduled though I'm pretty sure it will turn into MD.

As long as I'm under 1000 cals on the day I'm totally happy.

Still recovering from this strep...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #143
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
I saw your comment on Mark's forum, and I agree about the lower fat. Some years ago when I was beginning this journey (and undiagnosed hypo), I had some GI issues for which the solution was to eat 'low fat.' I was doing low carb, so I really didn't eat a standard 'low fat' diet, but I was careful about my fat, and I lost well.

For a while I was making my own mayo (to control the ingredients), but I've returned to Hellmann's 'light' (35 cal per T) because I think the extra fat was slowing my loss. I eat fatty fish, use olive oil liberally on salads and veggies, and, of course, love the fat that comes with my meat, so I believe I get plenty of fat without emphasizing it too much.

Kisha-
Happy you're better. Any day at 1000 cal or less has to be considered a victory (have you noticed how quickly those numbers add up?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #144

A note on eating fat

Well you guys know I've pretty much done it ALL during my journey!

I've definately done the super high fat low carb induction 72 style of eating. Lots of people on this board say "fat is self limiting" and that fat fills them up... um, NOT my experience! LOL. I could eat Best Foods (Hellmans) but the CUPFUL and never get fat! I swear I feel like fat almost makes me hungry.

On my UDs I certainly eat my share of fat in cheese full fat dressing full fat mayo butter o.o. and fatty meats... but on DD I'm virtually NO FAT AT ALL... and its sometimes like my appetite is controlled better? Like you guys I think I lose better when eating more low fat style not cutting fat out altogether but certainly not eating as much as I want.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #145
Senior LCF member

I agree, Kisha. When my GI troubles resolved, I tried some high-fat eating because it's so touted here, and like you, I didn't experience any decrease in appetite. All I seemed to do was add calories.

When I read on the Main Lobby where people complain that they have absolutely no appetite and have to 'force' themselves to eat, I can't relate at all. Even on almost zero carbs, I can always eat too much

Like you, my DDs are very low fat because I can't afford those calories, but I'm more liberal on UDs.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I agree, Kisha. When my GI troubles resolved, I tried some high-fat eating because it's so touted here, and like you, I didn't experience any decrease in appetite. All I seemed to do was add calories.

When I read on the Main Lobby where people complain that they have absolutely no appetite and have to 'force' themselves to eat, I can't relate at all. Even on almost zero carbs, I can always eat too much

Like you, my DDs are very low fat because I can't afford those calories, but I'm more liberal on UDs.

The ONLY time I have experienced this was when I did Stillmans for a way too long period of time over a month. Very low carb very low cal. Very torturous! I was in deep ketosis and didn't really feel hungry... although believe me I still could've eaten!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes--it is all very hard--sometimes reading these forums is a bad thing. I try something--drinking HWC in my coffee, etc--and it does not kill my appetite and it does not lead to weight loss. I recently went on a fat binge that was ridiculous, provoked by reading some stuff I should have just left alone. Moderate fat on UD's, vlf on DD's, and counting calories on both days. sadly, that is what must happen if I am to lose weight.

I also believe there is a gender difference in this stuff that is never acknowledged--we females are designed to hold on to our fat unless there is a reason to release it. While it may be true that eating fat does not stimulate insulin (I certainly didn't gain weight following my fat binge), it is only with a true caloric deficit that I lose weight.

Thank god for JUDDD. I could eat 1200 cals/day til the cows came home and never lose a pound. I can eat 1600-1800 on UD's and 5-600 on DD's and lose weight. I need to remember what works and not get sidetracked by fancy thinkin'!!

Ouis
Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #148
Senior LCF member

We seem to be identical, Ouis. Although I lost about 70 lbs on generic low carb, before I discovered JUDDD, I spent a year losing and gaining the same 10 lbs, and I was eating about 1200 cal a day!

Without JUDDD, I could never sustain the calorie deficit I need to lose--and it's nice to be able to actually eat on special occasions rather than worry about every morsel!

And, yes, I, too, have to watch out for trying out things based on my reading of the boards. Been there and done that--and it never works for me.

I must remind myself that I KNOW what I need to do and just stick to that.

Last edited by Leo41; 03-19-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #149
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

As I predicted yesterday, no loss this week, but I'm also up a pound--185! I'm hoping that's a little water (because my fingers are 'pudgy'), but, as I commented yesterday, I also know the problem--too high on UDs.

Although I've been eating 'primal,' there have just been too many calories. I've lost by keeping my UDs at 1400-1500, and obviously that's what I need to do. I was always satisfied on that, and that's what I need to do. Oh, how I wish I were one of those people who loses just by eating the 'right foods'--but we all have to play the cards we're dealt in this life.

This is a good lesson for me, reminding me that even if and when I increase my calories to maintain, I can't simply "eat to hunger" because my body just doesn't have the mechanism for satiety.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #150
Senior LCF member

Sorry to keep posting like this, but I had another thought about my recent 'hunger' on UDs. Ouis suggested that it might be the onset of spring, but in my case, I think it's my body clamoring for more weight.

At my current 185, I'm lower than I have been for most of my life--certainly for the past 35 years. We know that the body considers weight loss a negative, and I came down rapidly once I passed 200, so I think that the hunger I'm feeling is my body trying to get me to raise my weight.

So my task is to resist my body. I've been considering those hungry UDs as a license to eat--wrong! I need to consider them a 'temptation' to gain weight. My body is just going to have to adjust because gaining is not something I plan to do!