Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
OK JUDDDers. I need some support now. My day at home has led me to a conclusion I have been dancing with for awhile now. I am giving up AS, at least for the next 7 days. Hopefully forever. Because I never ever gain weight if I just eat fat, it has become a powerful driver for binge eating, especially sweetened fat (coconut cream, CO bark, nut butters, whipped HWC, etc). Clearly, I have no self control over sweet fatty creamy stuff and will go to lengths to get it, like any addict.

I've gone thru my cupboards and gotten rid of the creamy stuff--nut butters, poured out the HWC, threw away the 2!! new!! jars of Coconut Cream from Tropical Traditions. That stuff affects me like peanut butter

Hopefully I can get DH to drink all my Hansens I just bought, grrrr.

I know the next few days are going to be rough on me, but the binging on my UD's is taking a grim toll on my self esteem. I don't mind overeating a bunch of vlc food--eggs, bacon, tuna whatever--because that is so self limiting, but when I eat the sweetened crap, I just want more and more.

sigh, and thanks for listening.

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
It's all what you're used to. I found myself around food a lot more when I was at work (junk was too available), AND I think I often ate from the stress at the office.

Now at home, I feel more control of my eating--and I find it easier. For example, on Wednesdays, I volunteer at the library from 10-2, and I miss being able to brew myself a cup of tea whenever I feel hungry--as I do so often at home. I find myself having to deal with feelings of 'deprivation' because there's nothing to eat there, whereas at home, it's a free choice not to eat, and so I feel more empowered.

This just goes to show (to me at least) that all this is 90% mental. If we control our thoughts, we can more easily control our eating.
WORD!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #93
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ouis-

You can do this! I will admit, however, that I didn't go "cold turkey" with AS. I eliminated diet soda first, but that was actually the main source of sweetener for me. By the way, what helped was club soda--to which I added a little lemon or lime juice.

I also know what you mean about sweet/fat things. I tried that coconut bark once a long time ago and found it addicting.

Also keep in mind that if you have a craving for something sweet, a dill pickle often helps--it seems to banish the craving.

You might consider extending your experiment to 2 weeks because that's the time span that I heard it takes for our taste buds to change.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Ouis, sometimes that's what it takes Sweetie is for you to get sick and tired of what you've been doing. Once you reach that point, you make the change. You can do this! Just keep remembering the horrible feeling you get when you binge and hopefully the memory of that will keep you steady on course! You CAN do hard things! Hey, and sometimes it takes several efforts to make the change stick. So if it doesn't stick this time, pay attention to what it is that derails you, then you can plan for it the next time. It took me 4 serious tries to quit smoking (and to accumulate enough bad memories of what it was doing to me to help me through the cravings). Keep us posted, OK?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm going to take it a day at a time for now. I am not worried about the diet soda--or giving up the sweet stuff that makes me bingey. What I am really worried about is that I absolutely depend on crystal light and sugarless gum to get me through my DDs. They seem to kill my appetite rather than increase it. I suspect that with the CL it is the citric acid even more than the AS that does the trick for me. I am going to take some ascorbic acid and lemon juice and see if it does the same thing to me. We shall see about the gum. it doesn't seem to make me hungry--the opposite. I may just start with eliminating AS diet sodas and AS I add to something to make a treat, and take it from there. Thanks for the support leo--I am feeling pretty bad about myself right now. Everyone is compementing me on my weight loss, but I can see that if I dont deal with the sweet issue, JUDDD is doing me harm rather than good. I love my DDs and don't want to give them up, but I do not like myself on the UDs.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Hi all!

Ouis - good luck! I can accompany you in your journey. I gave up sugar a few weeks ago and my next plan was to tackle AS's. I chew gum all day long and I put Splenda in my tea and coffee. I am going to switch that to Stevia, and then eliminate that. I think for me it's the change in tastebuds. So while I gave up sugar, I am still eating "junky" processed stuff full of AS's. I don't want that stuff in my body. Too chemically and too toxic for my liking. And I am still craving sweet stuff, so obviously all forms of sweet have to go! Good luck!
EmandM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #97
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

Don't feel bad about yourself!! Congratulate yourself on what you've accomplished--these DDs are nothing to sneeze at I can say this because I do the same thing myself--i.e., focus on what I'm not accomplishing instead of what I have accomplished. Just think, "I've done well, but I want to do better, so I plan to. . . . "

Weekly Weigh In

No loss this week. I suspect that my high carb/high calorie day on Tuesday was too recent to show any positive effect (if there will be any)--i.e., I have been peeing like crazy the past two days, and I suspect that was the water I retained from those carbs. The good news is that JUDDD is very forgiving, but the bad news is that I don't know yet whether this "binge' helped me at all. I don't plan to repeat this anytime soon. My goal is to continue JUDDD and my 'primal' eating--which is totally satisfying to me, so no need to 'tinker' with it.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
New to the thread I've been reading and reading and I ordered the book and am hoping it will be here today! First, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences! These threads have been so enlightening.

I've been doing Medifast which is about 800-900 calories a day so, I think Juddd will be a great transition for me. Can't wait to dive into the book!

Can I ask a question? It might be addressed in the book but, I'm wondering how you all handle special events that may fall on a down day? Can you preplan this? For example, what if your birthday falls on a down day? Do you compensate for this some how but altering your up day/down day schedule?

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
I think this cycling is very interesting but I have a question. Did all of you do the 2 week induction on this? I want to try adding in cycling to my program, BFC, but I can't bear the 2 week induction. Do you think it will work at all if I skip the induction?
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert View Post
I think this cycling is very interesting but I have a question. Did all of you do the 2 week induction on this? I want to try adding in cycling to my program, BFC, but I can't bear the 2 week induction. Do you think it will work at all if I skip the induction?
One of the main benefits of JUDDD according to Dr. Johnson is the activation of the SIRT1 gene. According to Dr. Johnson's book, it takes two weeks of induction to activate SIRT1. This is supposedly the longevity gene that has a host of benefits, relief from asthma, longevity, accelerated weight loss, etc. However, I believe there have been peeps who have had weight loss success with JUDDD without going through induction.

ETA: The first time I tried JUDDD, I did strict induction. It took me three weeks to lose any weight. I didn't realize at the time that my thyroid was not functioning. The second time around with JUDDD I was optimized with the correct thyroid meds for me personally, I lost quite well - in fact six pounds the first week.

Last edited by Redeemed; 03-13-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Qbert- You may be clear on this, and if so, I apologize, but many folks get the mistaken notion that the two week induction is ALL down days. It is not. It is still alternation, so
even from the get go, you have up days every other day. I would also advise not worrying too much about the ups and controlling them at the beginning. I feel it is more important to focus on getting in good down days (under 500 cals, or whatever the calculator comes up with.)
Welcome aboard.

Ouis-- I will be watching you and your AS elimination experiment. I sometimes wonder if I could do it.
Will you also be eliminating fruit? Or maybe you do not eat it anyway.

Yikes, strawberry season is coming soon.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

wildflower mama-- welcome to you too!
If you have been doing 800 cal a day, this should be a cake walk. (without the cake, of course)
Anyway, in answer to your question, what I do, and some others too, I believe, is
do "fast five" on down days that have a big social obligation. You fast for 19 hours a day, then have a 5 hour eating period.
Yesterday for example was a down and I ate nothing all day, but then had (yet another) 50th birthday party to go to, and she had a local taco cart cater it! fresh authentic tacos and tamales and margaritas.
Anyone who knows me, knows that my weakness is a margarita, so needless to say, I had one.......................and a taco.....................and a tamale, and chips. Geez.
So little willpower, so little weight loss.
The story of my life.

Anyway, the point is that at least I restricted my "feeding period" to a few hours, which is the gist of fast five.
I have been doing this so much lately that I am considering switching to fast five every day. Has anyone actually had weight loss success with that?
I need to check out the I.F. boards.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #103
Senior LCF member

Wildflower Mama-

I do something very different for 'special occasions,' and others do as well--I change my alternation. It's possible to do this with consecutive UD, or what is called a MD (medium day--the average between a DD and UD).

Actually, I never do true alternation. Since I started JUDDD over a year ago, my DDs have been only M, W, Fri (for convenience), and I try to do a MD on Sat or Sun. When there's a special occasion (for example, this year Christmas Day was a Friday), I'll just change my rotation to make sure that day is an UD. The only strict prohibition is not to do consecutive DDs, although I'm never tempted to do that, as getting through one at a time is enough for me.

qbert-

As Snaggle says, you may be confused about 'induction' because it's basically the plan itself--but you have to be sure to keep all the DDs at <500 cal each. There should be no reason to 'skip' induction--but do you know of one that we're missing?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Qbert- You may be clear on this, and if so, I apologize, but many folks get the mistaken notion that the two week induction is ALL down days. It is not. It is still alternation, so
even from the get go, you have up days every other day. I would also advise not worrying too much about the ups and controlling them at the beginning. I feel it is more important to focus on getting in good down days (under 500 cals, or whatever the calculator comes up with.)
Welcome aboard.

Ouis-- I will be watching you and your AS elimination experiment. I sometimes wonder if I could do it.
Will you also be eliminating fruit? Or maybe you do not eat it anyway.

Yikes, strawberry season is coming soon.
I'm so glad you clarified that for me cause indeed, I did think it was 2 weeks on all down days!!! I'm sort of combining two programs and I tried it today but wound up eating more calories than I wanted for dinner due to the lambchop I had to cook today. I think I can do better with seafood though so I'll keep trying. It is harder than I thought but I think I needed the reminder about the calories since they add up fast. I stayed on the BFC (actually I'm too low on carbs) but I am too high calorie to add anything else today. Oh well, I'll keep experimenting with it to see if I can get some results.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Wildflower Mama-

I do something very different for 'special occasions,' and others do as well--I change my alternation. It's possible to do this with consecutive UD, or what is called a MD (medium day--the average between a DD and UD).

Actually, I never do true alternation. Since I started JUDDD over a year ago, my DDs have been only M, W, Fri (for convenience), and I try to do a MD on Sat or Sun. When there's a special occasion (for example, this year Christmas Day was a Friday), I'll just change my rotation to make sure that day is an UD. The only strict prohibition is not to do consecutive DDs, although I'm never tempted to do that, as getting through one at a time is enough for me.

qbert-

As Snaggle says, you may be confused about 'induction' because it's basically the plan itself--but you have to be sure to keep all the DDs at <500 cal each. There should be no reason to 'skip' induction--but do you know of one that we're missing?
I like the ideas for tailoring alternation. I guess this is my little experiment to see if I can lower my calories and still follow my "plan". I report back to my doctor at some point to decide if my thyroid is messing with the weight loss. I'm keeping a detailed log to show exactly what I ate and what I did exercise wise so we can try to figure out what is going on.

What would you consider a MD day calorie wise? I basically failed today since I hit about 720 calories.:blush:
Old 03-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone! I just read something online about shiritaki or konjac noodles. I think someone mentioned them on here before. Are they worth eating? Are they too good to be true? What's the deal with these things? They sound like amazing DD foods. Let me know if anyone has tried them before I order them.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

emandm-- I have tried shirataki noodles before and a brand of tofu? noodle
called pastaslim that is good too. They are a bit string/chewy, but are basically
tasteless and very low calorie/carb. Don't cook them, just rinse and heat under
hot water, or just put into your prepared sauce.
They work better with asian style preparations, in my opinion.
I have tried tomato/meat sauces and other, more italian type dishes, but they
don't work as well usually, although my favorite is to saute shrimp scampi style with garlic,
some butter, basil and fresh tomatoes and toss with the angelhair pastaslim. I can
have a large bowl for 350 calories. Perfect down day dinner.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Snaggle. I will definately check these out. My husband is Asian so the Asian-inspired dishes will be a cinch! He might even like them. I read these are how Japanese women stay so thin! lol I am looking for new DD meals, so this sounds good.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Hi guys

This is the third week of the diet. I love this diet and dont find the DD's too hard, but despite my hard efforts, I weighed myself on Saturday for my weekly weigh in and there has been no weight loss whatsoever. This is despite the fact that I had three successful DD's Monday, Wed and Friday and I went to the gym twice too and burnt tons of calories.

My DD's are coming in at 500 cals but I may have gone over by maybe 50 cals at the most once or twice due to my love for white coffees. ( I will keep a tighter rein on measuring my trim milk) My UD's are around my maintenance of 1900 cals or slightly less.

So, even if this SIRT gene hasnt kicked in, you do the maths, why havent I lost any weight this week?? I do not have any medical problems or issues with blood sugar etc so I dont cut out carbs. I am trying not to be discouraged, and reminding myself that since I started the plan three weeks ago, I am finding that clothes that have been unbearably tight are *slightly* more comfortable on me. I am kicking myself I havent measured myself as I would be happy if I am losing inches and not necessarily weight, but I sure wanted to see a pound or two come off this week.

Any thoughts? Tips?
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #110
Senior LCF member

gbert-
For my 'medium days' I figure the average of my DDs and UDs (since I count calories on both days). Currently, my MD is about 800 cal, but I restrict fairly severely, so yours may be much higher.

By the way, if you're going to have a thyroid check, I'd suggest you read the "sticky" at the top of the thyroid section on these boards. My doctor insisted I was 'normal' for over 5 years when I was actually hypothyroid, and I wish I had known all this stuff then. It was only when I was really ill and self-referred to an endo that I was finally medicated. The average primary doctor really doesn't know how to diagnose hypo.

Pommychick-
I have no idea why the scale isn't moving for you, since you seem to have the calories under control. But since your clothes seem looser, I'll guess that 1) since you're not low carbing, you're not getting the initial water loss that everyone enjoys; 2) when you begin losing, often the body (which views weight loss as a negative) will replace the fat that cells have dropped with water--which also replaces the weight lost, so although you've lost fat, the scale number doesn't reflect that loss.

Re #2--The body can't continue to hold onto that water for very long and will eventually drop it, and then you should experience the loss on the scale.

So I'd advise you to keep on with what you're doing, and you should see a lower number on the scale soon.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all so much for the information!

I'm on medifast now and will probably stick with it since I'm really losing with it. It's minimal effort and that's what I need right now.

But, mentally, it's so tough for me to each crap, processed food. I'm a whole foods/organic gal so this is a struggle. But, I figure 2 months of eating this crap will get enough weigh off that I can transition to a more whole foods diet.

As my calories are only around 900 a day now anyway, I think JUDDD sounds like a wonderful plan and something that will be easy for me to transition to. I'll probably transition when I am within 10lbs of my goal. But, I think this plan sounds fantastic, not only for weight loss but for health.

I got my book yesterday and can't wait to read it and hopefully, join you in the near future!

Thanks so much for the info!

Last edited by WildflowerMama; 03-14-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Old 03-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

pommychic--I have not lost any weight in about 3 weeks, but it is my own doing--I have been eating way too many UD calories even though my DD's are in order. I have noticed however that I have been perhaps replacing fat with muscle as I definitely have more definition than I ever have. I suspect that many of us have to go through this--I suggest you look at your UD calories--I also believe that eating lowcarb has been key for me with this plan, and despite my stall, I have lost well with JUDDD. It is a process, this weight loss thing, not an event, lol.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

emandm. I love the shirataki noodles--I order online and use the 0 cal/carb noodles and get a monthly shipment. you have to rinse them well and dry them well, but if you do the prep right, they are a lifesaver. My favorite way to eat them is to rinse and dry (and I snip them into shorter pieces), pan fry with a diced chickens sausage and some green onions, sprinkle with chipotle chile powder, and then put a few tablespoons of salsa con queso (I have found some very low calorie/low carb brands). Cheezy, filling, noodly goodness for less than 200 calories! I have also made a great thai prep that i love.

On the other hand, I think they are gross with tomato based sauces. experimentation is the rule!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Has anyone looked in Asian grocery stores for the noodles? I'm told they're sold there.

I can only find the tofu ones at whole foods and my other local health food stores. I'd love to be able to find the other ones.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
pommychic--I have not lost any weight in about 3 weeks, but it is my own doing--I have been eating way too many UD calories even though my DD's are in order. I have noticed however that I have been perhaps replacing fat with muscle as I definitely have more definition than I ever have. I suspect that many of us have to go through this--I suggest you look at your UD calories--I also believe that eating lowcarb has been key for me with this plan, and despite my stall, I have lost well with JUDDD. It is a process, this weight loss thing, not an event, lol.

Thanks for that... just out of interest, how many calories on your UD is way too much?
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not sayin!!!! I would say the "right" amount of calories for me on my UDs would be about 1800--

UD today--and I have it planned out--gonna post it here for accountability:

Bkfst: scrambled eggs in CO

lunch: tuna mayo sandwich (using two slices of nuked cheese for bread)

snack: pack of raw almonds/walnuts

dinner: chicken sausage and veggie stirfry

by the way--I found cans of La Croix flavoured water (no AS) at target--delicious substitute!

Hope everyone's day is just perfect!

Ouis
Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #117
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Checking In

Welcome to all our new members... it looks like all of your questions have been addressed...

Pomy... how frustrating! I bet you see a big loss at the end of next week our bodies are just SO WEIRD.

CHECKING IN.
I've got strep throat. The Dr. today gave me a penicillin injection and also a steroid injection for the inflamation plus tylenol with kodeine. I stuck to DD today no problem mostly because I couldn't swallow AT ALL until after I took that kodeine LOL. SO I should probably stay off the scale cuz of that steroid right? I can't remember the name of it...
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kisha--just stay off the scale period! Sorry about the strep--that is a big drag! I am focusing on having the best DDs and the best UDs I can right now--and leaving the scale the hell alone, lol!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #119
Senior LCF member

Yes, Kisha, stay off the scale--and also don't worry about DDs or UDs--just take care of that strep. It can be dangerous if it gets out of hand, so you want to kill the thing quick. And nourish yourself in the process--perhaps soups or whatever makes you feel well.

I agree, Ouis, that just focusing on doing good DDs and UDs is the best 'goal.' My own latest issue is nuts--I am trying to restrict them to weekends only because I can let them get out of hand if I'm not very careful.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #120
Senior LCF member

Our thread is awfully quiet; I hope that doesn't mean that folks are giving up on JUDDD.

Yesterday's UD was a little too 'up' for me, but I was really hungry and focused on protein, so I hope I didn't do any damage. It's a relief to be back to a DD today.

Unlike janetaz, I don't measure anything because it's just not my temperament. I also don't record all of my food; I count mentally and manage to keep track pretty well that way. For DDs, I just make sure that I don't eat anything unless I know the exact number of calories, and that's worked for me.

I think we all have to do these plans in a way that works for us.