Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Wednesday Down(ISH) Day

Welcome back Michelle!

And I'm sooooo glad people are checking in and/or coming out of lurkdom

I had a great birthday yesterday and did well with my eating reaching my goal of staying under 2000 calories:

Calories 1,990
Fat 145.2 1,282 72 %
Carbohydrate 48.5 189 11 %
Dietary Fiber 5.1
Protein 78.4 317 18 %

Carbs are where I like them too under 50g though maybe a smidge too high.

I'm going for a Down(ISH) day today. It will probably go over 500 cals I'm not going to restrict myself too much but it will be under 1000 like Monday was.

Happy JUDDing everyone!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #32
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Belated Happy Birthday, Kisha! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You're beginning to sound more upbeat about all this calorie/carb stuff, and that's key to getting back on track. I'm rooting for you

Good to hear from you, Sherrie! I'm convinced that this 'primal' WOE (no starch, grains, dairy, or AS) is responsible for my ability to not gain on the cruise. Because I was able to eat at a higher calorie level, I am beginning to believe that this WOE is actually 'healing my metabolism' (although I hate that unscientific term).

Since you're in a similar situation, I'll share that I've finally made an appointment with a surgeon to 'consider' knee replacement. I really don't want to do it because I've made my peace with my limitations, and I've eliminated most pain with diet and exercise, but I fear that they're getting worse and I worry that one day, the joint will collapse, and I'll have no choice about surgery. That's what I plan to ask the surgeon about--whether or not I can actually avoid the surgery. My appt. is 1 April, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #33
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Happy Birthday Kisha!
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Hey Kisha girl--congrats on the anniversary.

Badddd day. Bad Binge On Fat Day. HWC, coconut bark, almond butter, protein pancakes. I do NOT get my deal. Few if any carbs, but mountains of fat, usually stevia sweetened fat. I am not making progress giving up the AS and I cannot believe my binginess lately. I believe I triggered myself with a disappointing weigh in, and yet my clothes are just falling off me, so whatever the scale said is ridiculous. so I just sabotaged myself all day. sad and mad ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Happy belated Birthday Kisha! and best wishes for many, many more! Ouis, I feel your pain! Please don't be so hard on yourself. Even bad days (like my OD'ing on chocolate) are a lesson to us about us. We just need to examine the day and what happened and our thinking about it. You're probably onto something because it's always our thoughts first that lead to the actions......for me, I'm trying to still overcome the UD free-for-all eating mentality. My programming is telling me "hey it's an UD so I better eat all I can because tomorrow is a DD"....how nuts is that? and it makes no difference if I'm hungry or not...it's an UD so eat, eat and eat some more.....I figure if I put it in black and white here, maybe my brain will come up with another plan for the UD (or maybe someone here can give me some ideas!). And like Nitenurse, I need to stop obsessing about food! I need to mentally get over it and focus on the other aspects of my life like home, work, friends, etc. But it's all learning and it always seems to be in baby steps.....thoughts?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #36
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

I feel your pain because if the scale disappoints me, my first reaction is to binge. But you've noticed that your clothes are 'falling off,' and so I've learned to halt myself if the scale annoys me by reminding myself that it is a flawed measure of success and that 'eventually' it will show the true loss. It helps to remember what I did in the past (ate too much) and how that really didn't help the situation at all

If you're anything like me, it's those AS that are causing you to overeat. Since I've eliminated all sweeteners, I haven't had those experiences of constantly wanting to eat. I really think that my body responds to AS the same as sugar. I know it's difficult, but if you say to yourself, "This is not forever; it's just an experiment for a month to see what happens," you might be able to see whether this really is the problem.

GrammyPat-
The way I've controlled UDs (from the beginning) is to plan them just like DDs. It's fun to 'add' all those calories, so I think I'm getting so much more food, and yet I keep the day under control. The few times I didn't plan, I found that I ate way too much. Whatever the mechanism is that tells people that they've eaten enough seems to be missing from my body, so I can't "eat until satisfied" as others can; I need to always monitor my intake [sigh!], but I believe we have to work with the hand we're dealt--although it's taken me to age 68 to figure this out
Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Leo and Grammy--I am so relieved it is a DD today.

Leo--you are so right about the AS. It seems like a real piece of resistance to me--like DDs are already so "depriving" so I need AS. It is also true that some of my AS drinks totally kill my appetite (Sobe Lean for example) in a way that water or tea do not, so I have been resistant to giving them up--I have "beliefs" about my ability to do this without them--which, sigh, I guess I will have to test at some point.

In addition to setting myself up for the binge with the scale--I have noticed a physical pattern in myself that I am having a lot of difficulty overcoming. I think it must be Leptin at work. Right before I am about to lose another pound or two, I actually kind of swell up (cells filling with water) and I become a bit food frenzied. Like I am about to lose fat and my body tries to get me to eat to compensate. The problem is that as much as I "know" this, my limbic system and my neocortex are not communicating all that well --If I could tough it out and disregard my hypothalamus/leptin system trying to get me to eat, I would be rewarded the next day or so. As it is, I likely have some damage to undo, altho of course much less than if I had binged on carbs. As it is, it was a VLC binge.

Dealing with the deprivation feelings feels key here--not just to the weight loss process, but to my ultimate success.

thanks for listening

Ouis
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
For what it's worth-I limit fat on my DDs to keep it under 500 cals, more vegetables, protein shakes. but I do have HWC 1 tsp in coffee and soup.
I have more fat, limit carbs on UDs, Ouis, so I would guess your "Fat day" won't hurt your progress-especially if your clothes are loose, congratulations!

I need to vent-I finally caved in a went to the MD, after dealing with this respiratory/sinus thing for a month, and sure enough I have pneumonia. He gave me an antibiotic, which I hate (they use them to fatten cows, don't they???) and some prednisone, which really scares me that it will stop my weight loss-a 6 day tapering down package-does anyone know what this is going to do to my beloved JUDDDD?
Please excuse the temper tantrum, things were going so well, and I am so paranoid about my progress stopping, I could use some JUDDD advice.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you are going to be fine--a short course of pred will not likely have too much of an effect on your weight--it is longer term pred which can play havoc. So sorry to hear about the pneumonia! Of course you do have to take care of your health--and just keep on doing JUDDD--it will smooth out any medicine related glitches--which will be temporary!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Thanks, Ouis, that makes me more positive about the whole thing. It will be nice to feel better again.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #41
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

You should know that your physical (and psychological experiences) are not unique, so I thought I'd share how I deal with them.

The feeling of deprivation is, I firmly believe, the thing that eventually causes people to give up. (I have seen this over and over on the Main Lobby to the extent that I can tell when someone will soon 'disappear').

I've never had that feeling with JUDDD because I spent a year gaining and losing the same 10 lbs on low carb so that JUDDD was my salvation in terms of weight loss. Thus, I tend to think of DDs not as deprivation but as a 'gift'--the thing that enables me to lose weight.

I'd suggest finding some way to stop thinking of DDs as deprivation because that doesn't help you at all.

The hunger that precedes any weight loss is common--the body sees loss as a negative and it fights to have us give it more food. At first those hunger feelings scared me (and made me want to eat), until someone (I think it was Mammapo) wrote here that "The feelings of hunger are a warning from your body that it's about to tap into your fat stores." Since that's what I WANT, I repeat that comment to myself whenever I feel such hunger, and it really helps me 'enjoy' it--i.e., anticipate a loss.

I could not do any of this unless I stay positive about it all.

Nitenurse-

Take your meds, be kind to yourself, and feel better soon!

Last edited by Leo41; 03-04-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Jumpin' into say Leo is right about looking at DD's. I see them as a purge day...a cleansing of all the junk I ate before. I always feel more energetic and "slim" on DD's. I always know what I'm allowed to eat because it is the same for every DD. Takes the agony out of trying to get creative with it. Actually had a decent UD yesterday - no chocolate! woo hoo!!! DD today and a chance to lose some weight! Hope that helps Ouis! Nitenurse, you do so much and have pushed yourself for too long! Get well soon Sweetie!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Good morning all.
Nitenurse: meds do suck, but you need to get better. I hope they help quick. Take care.

Ouis-- I also went through a period last fall when the scale just would not move, but I was shrinking! Nearly a full size in a month. I don't know what kind of exercise you do, but for me, the weight lifting was really toning my body and made a bigger difference in my looks that the scale, for sure.

I am still at 152.5
I am not happy about that, but too many treats and indulgences have taken their toll.
I did a new exercise routine called Kinesis yesterday at my club. I am sore all over.

Lots going on this weekend. I need to be strong.

Also a belated happy birthday to Kisha.
I was on jury duty this week and have been out of touch.
Unfortunately it ended up just being lots of waiting. Never got on a jury.
Happy juddding all!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 207.5/197.5/149
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
Start Date: restart JUDDD 7/4/14
Hope everyone is having a great start of the weekend!

I might go to sleep early tonight to get extra rest and finish up another successful DD. This is the third one this week! I just have to remember a little hunger on the DD is OK, and to not turn it into a MD. Counting down the hours and looking forward to my breakfast tomorrow morning (if I want it still at that time).
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #45
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

This morning the scale read 183 lbs!

This means I probably lost weight on the cruise. I arrived home at midnight last Sunday, and when I weighed Monday morning (after breakfast and a gallon of coffee), I suspected that the scale weight was inflated because I was bloated from the long plane trip (LA to NY) as evidenced by my swollen ankles.

So although I reported that I'd maintained, this week's results suggest that I lost while I was gone because it's a total 6.5 lbs lost for the month (including 2 weeks on cruise). That's amazing for me because all last year I averaged 4 lbs a month on JUDDD and never expected to lose any faster.

It must be this 'primal' eating and the total elimination of grains and artificial sweeteners (and dairy) and virtually no processed foods. I've noticed a slightly increased weight loss since I adopted this WOE.

It probably also helped that I got right back to my DDs after I returned and did three good ones this week--M, W, Fri. Loving JUDDD
Old 03-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
SO TOTALLY PSYCHED FOR YOU, LEO!!!!!!

You're gonna be in maintenance mode before you know it! Seems like since you hit Onederland, you've just been going down, down, down.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #47
Senior LCF member

I know, Sherrie, it's very weird because a person should lose more slowly as loss progresses. I just think it might be true that this "primal" eating helps facilitate weight loss because I've been losing better since I totally eliminated grains, dairy, and AS.

It's also possible that there's a 'cumulative' effect to JUDDD. Unlike others, I didn't lose quickly at first--perhaps because I was already low carbing for quite a while--but perhaps after more than a year, the DDs are even more effective?

I don't know why this is happening, but whatever it is, I'm loving it.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo--I wrote a long post that disappeared, so aggravating!--Just to tell you that you are my hero and a real inspiration--you will be at goal in nothin flat, maybe even if you increase your DD calories

--I have also been doing primal, but have not yet been able to give up AS, dairy, or nuts, sigh. Nonetheless, I am truly gaining muscle and losing fat, despite my ridiculous up days (thousands of fat caloires, hardly any carbs, low/mod protein). I love my DD'[s, but I do NOT love the binge mentality I have on UDs. workin on it.

Good vibes to everyone here. Anyone hear from Bill?

Ouis
Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Leo!

"Weigh to go" . What a fantastic job you're doing and such an inspiration to the rest of us What do your sisters say about this big change in you? and you must be or have been receiving compliments from everyone who knows you, right? so much weight you've lost, has to be really noticeable now. I know how good I feel when other people tell me that I look like I've lost some weight. This is so great!

I didn't exactly binge yesterday but it was truly an UD! nice breakfast in the morning, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner out....but I did have a HUGE amount of physical activity throughout the day, so I don't feel too bad about it all! Am excited about the Vita mix we ordered on Friday night. I'm looking forward to making green smoothies and other low cal stuff that actually has ALL of the good stuff in it, and not just the juice! And where's Mammapo?

Congratulations Ouis on your clothes hangin' off of you! that's got to be noticed by your friends, right? JUDDD is just so amazing to me how it works with different people and different metabolisms....
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have not posted for a bit.. I have been busy with work and the kids. I am not having a good day and need a bit of cheering up. My hubby has gone away with work for a week and I am home alone with the boys. I work full time and I am 12 thousand miles from home so that feels a bit lonely!

I have just nearly finished a VERY tough DD. I have gone slightly over the 500 calorie mark. (about 50 cals) Do you think that matters? I have done a bit of exercise in the form of a half an hour dog walk. Since I quit smoking I have found I am drinking a lot of white coffees. On DD's I make sure I drink completely fat free milk but I cant seem to gauge exactly how much I am pouring in my coffees. I will need to measure it out in a jug or something but its hard when you are on the go and also at work.

Oh well I will get the little one to bed. Think I will have an early night and then I can cross today off!
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

wow Leo! I knew you would have a good week after such a great, controlled couple
of higher cal weeks on the cruise. I am just so blown away by your diligence.
You should be at goal in no time.
I would love you to refresh my memory as to what "primal" means. I know it is low carb, but not sure exactly what is part of it.
Ouis' comment about nuts has me a little confused because I thought nuts were good on primal.

Hi Pommy! good to see you back.

Down day today.
I gotta have a good one.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey Snaggle--lots of primal peeps eat nuts. I find however that they are a binge food, and right now I have been binging on primal fatty foods--HWC, nuts, 86% chocolate--especially when sweetened with AS. I think because of the deprivation of DD's, I have felt entitled to binge on UD's on fat--so I am not gaining weight but I am also not losing weight, and binging feels very bad to me. I don't want to give up JUDDD because it is the only thing that has worked for me, but I need to grapple with my self destructive behaviours.

Most people on primal focus on fatty meats and fish, veggies, low glycemic fruits, nuts and oils that shift the body's balance of O6 to O3's (fish oil, coconut oil, etc).

It is all good, but unlike a lot of folks who have shifted to primal eating, and like Leo, have healed their metabolism, I have truly resisted giving up my sweets--

all i can say is that I am working with it :blush:

Ouis
Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis- I am so glad you brought up "healing the metabolism". Before Leo went on vacation, I had wanted to bring up that concept, but wanted to wait til she got back.
Leo- have you read Diana Schwarzbein's book, The Schwarzbein Principle?
I think what you are experiencing is EXACTLY what she talks about in her book.
I have never been able to give up all the "toxic" stuff like she says you need to do to
really heal the metabolism, but I believe you are a good example of it working.
Anyway, it is a good book and I think patience and perseverence (and of course, sticking with the plan) do, ultimately, really yield positive results. I am pretty sure she
says it can take anywhere from 1 to 2 years to really heal.

Ouis, like you, I am still holding on to some of my indulgences and my lack of weight loss is the price I pay.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #54
Senior LCF member

Snaggle-

If you check out Mark's Daily Apple, there's a lot of information about "primal" eating. He also advocates much LESS exercise than many do, and I think his approach is a good one. I haven't bothered buying his book because all the information I needed was on the website. Moreover, I don't really follow his 'plan'--I just check in there because it's mainly the way I eat.

However, I don't really buy into the notion that we have to eat as our primitive ancestors did because I think our bodies have evolved, etc. I came to this because I actually WAS eating this way for the most part once I eliminated all grains and sweeteners. The only thing I added was substituting almond butter for peanut butter. It seems that peanuts are a negative because they're legumes and have ligans (?) that are not good for the body.

Unlike Ouis, I eat nuts--as my only treat. I only eat almonds and walnuts and always unsalted. I find that it's easy to gain portion control with unsalted nuts, whereas the salted versions are as addicting as potato chips!
I count my nuts carefully to insure that I don't overdo it, and I use them mainly as a treat.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #55
Senior LCF member

GrammyPat-

I didn't mean to ignore your question about how my family is responding to my loss; I just needed to think about it a little.

My sister and niece came over on Saturday. We don't see each other often because they live 65 miles away, but every few months we visit, so they have become used to my weight loss. However, this time, it seemed more 'dramatic' to my niece.

I think it's odd that at certain weights, the loss doesn't seem that obvious, but then suddenly after another 10-20 lbs, it's very, very apparent.

I feel a little strange with them because both of them need to lose a good deal of weight and struggle with food. My loss seems like a rebuke to them rather than an inspiration. Although they both agree that my weight loss is great, I notice that they are also feeling depressed about their own struggles. Sadly, this isn't anything we can do for anyone but ourselves.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Weekly Weigh In

This morning the scale read 183 lbs!

This means I probably lost weight on the cruise. I arrived home at midnight last Sunday, and when I weighed Monday morning (after breakfast and a gallon of coffee), I suspected that the scale weight was inflated because I was bloated from the long plane trip (LA to NY) as evidenced by my swollen ankles.

So although I reported that I'd maintained, this week's results suggest that I lost while I was gone because it's a total 6.5 lbs lost for the month (including 2 weeks on cruise). That's amazing for me because all last year I averaged 4 lbs a month on JUDDD and never expected to lose any faster.

It must be this 'primal' eating and the total elimination of grains and artificial sweeteners (and dairy) and virtually no processed foods. I've noticed a slightly increased weight loss since I adopted this WOE.

It probably also helped that I got right back to my DDs after I returned and did three good ones this week--M, W, Fri. Loving JUDDD
OMG Leo you are KILLING IT!!!! Right Freaking On.
(you tiny little thing LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommychic View Post
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have not posted for a bit.. I have been busy with work and the kids. I am not having a good day and need a bit of cheering up. My hubby has gone away with work for a week and I am home alone with the boys. I work full time and I am 12 thousand miles from home so that feels a bit lonely!

I have just nearly finished a VERY tough DD. I have gone slightly over the 500 calorie mark. (about 50 cals) Do you think that matters? I have done a bit of exercise in the form of a half an hour dog walk. Since I quit smoking I have found I am drinking a lot of white coffees. On DD's I make sure I drink completely fat free milk but I cant seem to gauge exactly how much I am pouring in my coffees. I will need to measure it out in a jug or something but its hard when you are on the go and also at work.

Oh well I will get the little one to bed. Think I will have an early night and then I can cross today off!
I just recently quit smoking also! I'm not sure how its affecting my eating since my eating has been kind of out of control since before I quit LOL.

DD for me today. All planned out to come in at 509 calories. Now thats 9 cals over "induction" JUDD levels but I'll climb the five flights of stairs to the top of the parking structure and call it even
Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #57
Senior LCF member

Kisha-
No wonder you're struggling--kudos on giving up smoking! It's way more important than your weight right now, and you'll get back on track in no time.

It's a good thing that I was incapable of smoking (tried to learn because it was the 'cool' thing in my day) because I know I'd never be able to give it up if I had the habit.

The friend that I traveled with on the cruise is a BIG smoker. She's close to my age and takes a ton of meds--high BP, statins, etc., etc.,--and I'm convinced that it's all due to her smoking--which she doesn't even want to give up.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Kisha-
No wonder you're struggling--kudos on giving up smoking! It's way more important than your weight right now, and you'll get back on track in no time.

It's a good thing that I was incapable of smoking (tried to learn because it was the 'cool' thing in my day) because I know I'd never be able to give it up if I had the habit.

The friend that I traveled with on the cruise is a BIG smoker. She's close to my age and takes a ton of meds--high BP, statins, etc., etc.,--and I'm convinced that it's all due to her smoking--which she doesn't even want to give up.
Thanks Leo... honestly though I only quit two weeks ago and my problems WAY predate that! I really can't blame it on the not smoking

DD so far has been real tough. I had another bad weekend so I'm super carbed up (again aren't you guys sick of hearing it yet?)

I'm hungry and REALLY feel like eating but so far have only consumed what I had planned. The real test will be after I get home. I have a sponsee coming over for step work for about an hour and after that I'm going to wash and blowdry my hair (this is a big like 1.5 hour project for me)

Hopefully that will keep me busy enough... also I have quite a bit more food coming my way with my evening meal of shirataki noodles sauteed cabbage and some boneless skinless chicken breast. I hope its enough! It will mean so much to me to pull of a REAL DD.

Need good luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

VERY nice DD today--finished with some fish and almond butter--and looking forward to my UD tomorrow because I have leftover chicken wings from our Oscars party! Decided to go back to tracking my UD calories as that has worked best for me--

Ouis
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #60

they only had the tofu shirataki at the store so my day came in at 550 I'm calling it a DD.