Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
February 2010 JUDDD/

JUDDD/Alternate Day Diet Thread (We can do hard things....)
Getting Started

There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr JOhnsons website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnsons site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management

The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow. The book will detail useful techniques for down day hunger management.

Diet Stress

Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood

We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day

On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day

It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight

How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

Down Day Recipes

It is important to choose a shake which is personally tolerable and satisfying. There are a number on the market including Atkins Advantage, Slim Fast Optima, MetRx. For weight loss diet, it is highly advisable that for the first two weeks, you consume only shakes on the down day.

Delicious, easy, very low calorie recipes are available in the soon to be published book, The Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™.

What People On The Diet Have To Say
“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.
“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.
“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.
“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.
For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."
seoulgrlsara is offline Report Post to Moderators Reply With Quote
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry about the title folks--I accidently hit post before I finished typing and then could not edit it--anyways--just starting us off--

good dd yesterday and a relief after all the celebrating over the weekend. Not hungry at all yet today which is a novel feeling.

Ouis
Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Thanks for starting us off, Ouis, and don't worry about the title--it's fine so long as folks can find us.

I'm on a DD today, and it feels good to be eating less.

Mammapo (Naomi) has written about having "Metamucil" shakes for fiber and to reduce hunger (gives a full feeling). I don't use Metamucil because of the sweeteners involved, but I need psyllium on a regular basis to stay regular.

So I started having a 'shake' with the psyllium powder on DDs, and it really works to provide a sense of satisfaction. I use only the powder (sometimes add black coffee), so it's only 35 cal.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: robsmom2
Fasting today I weigh in on Tuesdays So will post that tommorrow......... I find that fasting one or two days a month really helps me feel good I took a couple months off from it this summer and when I started again this fall with a couple fasts per month I found that I feel better,less tired and more energy so I do what works for me I JUST LOVE JUDDD SOOOOO MUCH!!!! I have several family and friends doing it also which helps me too Have a great month in Feb...... everyone ONWARD AND DOWNWARD Mary JO
robsmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gina-
So glad to see you back here again! I followed your journey on the thyroid thread and was so happy to see you finally find a responsive doctor and get medicated. The thing about hypothyroid is that it makes you feel awful so very gradually that you're never quite sure why you're not yourself. But the right meds are truly life saving, so I'm so happy for you

Kisha-
No loss on the scale. I know it's disheartening (been there; overate in response), but think of those three words "on the scale." If you recall two weeks ago, I showed no loss and then this week, it was 3 lbs. I know that I didn't lose 3 lbs in one week, mainly because both weeks were almost identical in terms of food and exercise. Somehow the loss didn't register that first week (a pattern with me). So if you know you've been eating right, please try not to let the scale number lead you to food--just keep on truckin' and eventually the scale will either show the right number--or you'll know you need to get your thyroid levels checked.

Snaggle-
Thanks for your good wishes. Since I was at the high 200s most of my adult life (and topped at 340), the 190s feel incredible!

As you know if you've been reading the boards, my big test comes up with my 2-week cruise this month. I'm not worried about temptation but about 'foreign food.' I eat mainly at home, and I eat very simply. I'm concerned that all the cruise food will be tainted with additives that might affect me negatively because I truly think that my current WOE is helping to heal my metabolism (thus the increasing losses).

But I'm not going to worry about it but just focus on making good choices and taking it a day at a time--which is all any of us can do.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Just want to get on this month, so get email alerts. Having a good DD, homemade soups and coffee with cream-really looking forward to February, hoping, hoping for 1lb a week this month, too-writing everything down, some days I have to spend quite a bit of time giving myself a pep talk, etc.etc. My own motivational speaker-at least my fee is reasonable.lol.
keep on keeping on, everyone.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF member

Nitenurse-

Just finishing a DD myself, and it was a good one (any one that I do <400 cal is what I consider 'good'). I get motivation by coming on here--even if I don't post, reading is helpful to me.

But you're doing the right thing with your 'motivational' talks to yourself because experts have said that the 'talk' we do with ourselves is either supportive or destructive of our goals, depending on what we say. I can understand that because if I want to eat when I shouldn't, I can literally talk myself into indulging--OR I can talk myself out of it.

That pound a week might not seem like much, but it adds up--as I know only too well. I was really down for a while last year because my loss was so slow, and yet now I'm at a weight that I never anticipated just because I stayed with the program. I think I'm becoming fanatic
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Thanks for the welcome backs everyone!

Kisha, it really is best when we are on the same thread isn't it?

I am winding up a pretty good DD. I made some decaf cinnamon coffee to get me through the evening. It is my snackiest time of day.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Leo- Since I am in this for the long haul, I have decided to just let myself savor the moment and kind of look at vacations as time off for good behavior and and allow myself to experience the foods wherever I go. (ie: in mexico that meant mucho guacamole and margaritas!)
You have been SO well behaved for so long, I just hope you let yourself have a few indulgences on your cruise. I have never gone on a cruise, and that Hawaii cruise sounds so fabulous. I have every confidence that you will have no problem getting back into the groove when you return home.
My problem is that I let the xmas festivities get the best of me after we got back from mexico and the 3 lbs I gained on vacation, turned into 8lbs by the time I started doing my dd's regularly again on Jan 4th. The one week vacation should have been my limit, but I let it turn into a 4 week lapse. I am back on track now and feeling great. I really feel content having juddd to manage my overall caloric intake. It is slow going, mainly because I keep having big up days every weekend, but I am heading in the right direction (down) and I have really had some great meals.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
OMG I was just in the January thread posting WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?! LOL.

Thanks Ouizoid for coming to get me. LOL.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Snaggle-
I plan to allow a few 'indulgences' on the trip because I always like to sample the native food in a new place (Italy was wonderful for food!!). We'll be having a few meals on the islands, and I intend to enjoy myself.

But I'm in a place right now where I think it's important to follow my WOE as well as I can because I feel so good, both mentally and physically, and I don't want to lose this feeling. I know that I'm only two brownies away from a 50lb gain

It's a fact of life for me that it's difficult to lose, but oh so easy to gain
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Kisha, you're not the only one...

who was in the January thread. So Ouis, thanks for coming back to get her, and indirectly, me too! Welcome back Gina! Congratulations on your successful DD!

Had a good DD yesterday with a different dinner. I'm a little weary of eggs so I just took some reduced fat cream cheese w/chives (2 tbls = 70 cals) and put 1 tbl each on a slice of turkey (50 cals ea.). The protein stayed with me the rest of the night. Am looking forward to having some Italian soup for lunch today!

Nitenurse, you are spot on about the self-talk, and I can vouch for Leo's comments about self-fulfilling prophecy types of dialogue. My problem seems to be that sometimes I don't know what I should be telling myself....somebody, please give me the script! Which is why these boards are so great! So, like you, I now talk to myself and ask myself questions like "am I really hungry?" and "does that have a lot of carbs in it?". I figure if I ask questions first, that will at least slow me down before I get that Snickers bar, and then I remember how much trouble I have breathing when I eat that stuff. That negative memory and image of me struggling to breathe helps stop me a lot too!

Also, I'm going to start marking my journal with "X's" for the really grand UD's, when they occur. It's a good visual for me! Thanks for suggesting it Nitenurse and EmandM.
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Okay, I was another January thread reader! Lordy!

DD for me today. Had an UD yesterday and did some fun Zumba-ing. Even had a little "self-examination" during my lunch. I had a burger on a SF bun and half way through it, I was done. But my head kept telling me, "It's UD, girl!" Good Laura battled Bad Laura and ultimately Good Laura won and I threw out the rest of my lunch. THAT'S a first!

Nitenurse - I'm thinking a pound a week is a great goal.

Have a wonderful day!

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 207.5/197.5/149
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
Start Date: restart JUDDD 7/4/14
Hi! I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for the JUDDD recipe thread!!

I would like to jump back in with JUDDD and had a great DD yesterday! I gained a little bit over the holidays since I mostly had UDs and MDs........ok, maybe that was even before the holidays! :blush: Even, with the few DDs that I managed, I was able to only gain a little bit-that is a miracle in itself! Hope everyone has a great day!!!
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really wish we could change the title back to our original title. Does anyone know how to ask a Mod to do that?

ouis
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I really wish we could change the title back to our original title. Does anyone know how to ask a Mod to do that?

ouis

Hi MODS, Anyway you can change the Title of this thread for us?

It should be:

February 2010 JUDDDD/Alternate Day Diet... we can do hard things

(I will now flag this post for mod attention)
Thanks!

Last edited by Ilpirata; 02-02-2010 at 09:40 AM..
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #17

Good news about my meds!

I'm SO EXCITED because my Armour thyroid has been heinously backordered. Last time all I could find at any pharmacy was a lower dose and my endo just filled it for the smaller size! Today on the ninth pharmacy I called they had the bigger size so I'm going back up from 120mg per day to 150mg per day! Plus they had sixty of the 300mg pills and she gave me a scrip for ALL of them which means I effectively now have FOUR MONTHS of Armour on hand! I think I could use a bump up too my energy level has been low so yay good day
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

dd today.
Trying a new coffee today: trader joes ultra dark Sumatra beans.
NUM!
Being a true Seattleite, I am very picky about coffee. This tastes the way I like it!

Hubby is in charge of the dd meal tonight..........................................n o comment.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
dd today.
Trying a new coffee today: trader joes ultra dark Sumatra beans.
NUM!
Being a true Seattleite, I am very picky about coffee. This tastes the way I like it!

Hubby is in charge of the dd meal tonight..........................................n o comment.

LOL... I wonder what he'll come up with!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #20
Senior LCF member

Kisha-

Good news about your Armour, but haven't a lot of people had problems with the new formulation? I was just wondering whether your non-loss this week might be due to a weakness in the new formula?

Personally, I've been very glad that I'm on synthetics with all the shortages and problems with Armour lately. I would feel desperate if I couldn't get my thyroid meds.

Snaggle-

You just reminded me that coffee is what makes DDs possible for me. If I can have my morning coffee (and I drink a lot of it!), then the day can't possibly be too bad.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Kisha-

Good news about your Armour, but haven't a lot of people had problems with the new formulation? I was just wondering whether your non-loss this week might be due to a weakness in the new formula?

Personally, I've been very glad that I'm on synthetics with all the shortages and problems with Armour lately. I would feel desperate if I couldn't get my thyroid meds.

Snaggle-

You just reminded me that coffee is what makes DDs possible for me. If I can have my morning coffee (and I drink a lot of it!), then the day can't possibly be too bad.
I've been on the reformulated for months and months. I actually just took my first dose of the meds I picked up this morning. Last week i was still on 2x 60mg per day. Honestly I think that is too low of a dose! I've been feeling pretty blah since my dose was dropped to 2x 60mg per day. Hoping this slight bump up to 150mg per day will help!

ETA: I'm on Armour and also 10mcg of cynthroid a day so I do get synthetic T3 as well as the T3 in the Armour.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
Senior LCF member

Kisha-

Yeah--even a slight increase can do wonders for how we feel. I still remember how my fatigue just vanished when I began Cytomel after my T3 tanked. It's just amazing what a little change in hormones can do.

How's Panda doing?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Kisha-

Yeah--even a slight increase can do wonders for how we feel. I still remember how my fatigue just vanished when I began Cytomel after my T3 tanked. It's just amazing what a little change in hormones can do.

How's Panda doing?

Panda is SO MUCH BETTER! Thanks for Asking.
I am not worried about her at home alone during the day and she is back on her food full force (and yes I'm overjoyed to see all her rabbitt poops LOL)
Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh gawd. hard DD. please lord help me thru the next two hours. Making DD pancakes for dinner: protein powder, coconut flour, eggbeaters and davinci's syrup--

sigh. Part of this is that I am bored. my patient load is low because of the economy--I can get thru the day just fine when I am occupied, but when i am not, it is a LOT harder

Ouis
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
oh gawd. hard DD. please lord help me thru the next two hours. Making DD pancakes for dinner: protein powder, coconut flour, eggbeaters and davinci's syrup--

sigh. Part of this is that I am bored. my patient load is low because of the economy--I can get thru the day just fine when I am occupied, but when i am not, it is a LOT harder

Ouis

WORD! My easiest DD BY FAR are days where I work all day and then have evening comittments. The busier the easier!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis: I hear ya on the boredom thing. My toughest days are my mondays off down days.
I do like having a cup of hot tea to tide me over. Peppermint is my favorite.

good luck..........................and remember:
A) We can do hard things!!
B) you can have it tomorrow!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lord what a hard DD. I haven't had one before, and I am sure it is because it is the second DD following my carbup weekend in SF. yuk. I had dinner and I just ate a giant bowl of salad leaves because I am still hungry. sipping on mint tea now, thanks Snaggle. Let's hope it takes the edge off.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 207.5/197.5/149
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
Start Date: restart JUDDD 7/4/14
Hi-quick question.....can we add food items that we like for DDs on the recipe thread? I know that Kisha has mentioned a lot of foods from Trader Joe's (one of my favorites, too!) and I wasn't sure if it was just recipes for JUDDD.

I found some 2 oz. small containers of Tribe hummus at Costco and sometimes I will add about 2/3 cup snap peas (from Trader Joe's) for about 135 calories total. It's not really a recipe, just something I eat to get through the DDs.

At Whole Foods I found a pasta sauce called Monte Bene, the tomato basil flavor. For 1/2 cup it has 24 calories and 2 carbs!!! I add that to the shiratki noodles with a tiny bit of parm. That is what I making tonight for my DD work lunch tomorrow.
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #29
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
I have never found a pattern as to why some of my DDs are easier than others--especially the "white-knuckle" ones when I'm holding on for dear life. They just seem to 'happen' sometimes. The motto I use (I think from Mammapo) is that when you're hungry, it's a sign that your body is warning you that if you don't eat, it's going to tap into your fat stores. That always seems to comfort me and keep me from wanting to eat more--i.e., the idea that I might actually get rid of some fat

Janetaz-
On JUDDD, you can eat anything you want on both UDs and DDs. The only critical issue, as you know, are the DD calories. Personally, if I didn't eat low carb on both days, I doubt that I'd be able to do this, but many people don't have my metabolic problems and can eat freely.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #30
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

I answered you on the thyroid thread, but your low T3 is definitely why you are not losing well. The T3 controls weight loss--and gain, independent of anything we do.

I frequently share my experience. I was medicated on Levoxyl (T4) alone and doing fine for a few years. I was low carbing, and losing slowly but steadily. Then suddenly I experienced overwhelming fatigue, and my weight shot up 10 lbs in 2 weeks, although I was eating the same way as when I was losing.

I was frantic because I never thought about the thyroid because I was medicated. Fortunately, I had a regular blood test scheduled a week later, and my T3 was so low it didn't even make the lab ranges. My endo prescribed Cytomel, and what a dramatic change. Within 48 hrs. the fatigue just vanished.

Unfortunately, I had to lose those 10 lbs the regular way. I was hoping they would just melt off like the fatigue

You need to get some T3 soon.