Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 207.5/197.5/149
WOE: coming back to JUDDD!!
Start Date: restart JUDDD 7/4/14
Just stopping in to say good morning to everyone!! I have been experimenting with higher fat on my DDs. It seems to help with my appetite. For example, coffee, with 1 TSBP of heavy cream will really last a long time. Before, I was adding SF syrup to the coffee, but now I am trying without it. Has another else tried higher fat foods during DD and, of course, keeping the calories under your personal limit?

Before I forget, is is alright if I copy and paste DD recipes and ideas from all the past threads to our recipe thread? Have a great day!! Thanks!!
janetaz is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey JUDDDers!

Grammypat - I can't handle AS either. They set me up for cravings!

I am curious on the oats...are they easy to prepare. I think I would like to try some. Do they need to be sweetened? That sounds so good right now with the cold weather.

Michelle
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Welcome back, Redeemed. Janetaz-I use some fat on my DDs, I put 1 teaspoon of heavy cream (15 cals)in my coffee, and that stalls off the eating in the mornings, I put the same amount of Heavy Cream in my low cal soups, seems to make them last longer, helps with flavor. Also with the protein shakes, it think the fat helps all these things digest slower. As long as they come in about 100 cals it works fine for me.
I use no cal butter spray to boost the flavor on some things, too. My cholesterol is good.
When I took my little hiatus with Dr. Eades (of protein Power fame)"6 week cure for the middle aged middle" he had some interesting theories on saturated fat being beneficial vs. Polyunsaturates and corn syrip contributing to visceral fat. I guess all my fat is surface fat, cause I didn't lose any wt, maybe a few inches, but I did think a lot of his theories were right on track about unsaturated fat and lowcarb.
Again, this is just my way of doing things, wouldn't work for everyone, probably. But for my JUDDD down days, it works very well for me.
Other than what I discribed above, I don't eat any other fats on my DDs., too many calories. I use higher fat and lowcarb on my UDs, easiest way for me to eat.
I think Leo and some others all seem to keep it simple, you get a few foods that work for you and and stick with it, I enjoy the freedom of not having to wonder what I'm going to eat, especially on the dds.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
totally agree with the above NN--high fat/Low carb on UDs and simple repeatable Lc lower fat meals for my DD. Interesting about the fat thing tho--on DD's I keep a small amount of refrigerated coconut cream (like coconut oil but creamier) and if I am totally starving, I have maybe a half tsp of that--totally kills my hunger--and is probably also around 10-15 cals. My theory is that the fat coats my stomach in some way quieting down the stomach acids.

I also do the broth/acv/hotsauce thing on DD's--along with my cinnamon/acv drink--

UD today, and I am not feeling all that swift--actually my stomach is bothering me--there is a virus going around right now and i really hope i don't have it as I am swamped (yay!) with work right now

have a great juddd day all. when does leo return?

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommychic View Post
Hi

Just been reading the threads (lots to get through) phew!
I wondered if some kind person could tell me what the following abbreviations are:-

SUD
SDD
Siggy weight ??

Thanks!

Super Up Day (so more calories than a regular Up Day).
I assume SDD would be Super down day, but have never heard anyone use that term (I know mammapo uses SUD though)
Siggy weight is the weight by your signature or in your stats (I think, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it's short for signature weight).
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone!

Redeemed and Grammy Pat - great to hear from you! How did the 1400 cals go? Grammy - very insightful comments about the AS. Interesting. I still use Splenda but want to switch to stevia. I find the taste is hard to get used to.

Ouis - hope you feel better soon!

NN - Interesting about the fat. I bet Ouis is right and it coats the stomach or tricks it into thinking it's full.

Michelle - let me know how you like the oats. I am a big oatmeal fan!

DD for me and so far I have had coffee. I'm getting hungry but it's 4 here so that's ok! I will have a 100 calorie vitamuffin, an Atkins protein bar and maybe some popcorn later (100 calories worth). Junky stuff but it's swimming lesson night for my two daughters and means we are out of the house all night so I need snacky, portable stuff.

Last edited by EmandM; 02-23-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Old 02-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #217
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Hi everyone!

I'm sorry - I feel I have bombarded this board with questions.!

I just have a concern about my calories and I wonder if someone can take a look at what I am consuming and where I am at?

(I dont have the book - dont think I could get hold of a copy living here)

I am at 151 pounds and want to get back to my ideal weight of 126 pounds which is a comfortable weight for my 5ft5 frame. I would like to get there as soon as I can as I have been struggling to lose the weight and keep it off since July.

I started on Monday and started with a DD of just under 500 calories

My first UD was yesterday. I felt in a way it was a licence to pig out. By lunchtime I had consumed a huge amount of calories. At my work we are supplied cheese and biscuits for morning tea and whereas normally I am drooling over them and envious of everyone else, I gleefully tucked in with zest telling myself " its OK its an UD."

So after painstakingly recording everything on *********, I have worked out that I consumed 1850 calories. I did an hours workout at the gym but I am wondering whether that is way too high? According to the website, my cals should be 398 for DD and 1950 "normal" I dont want to jeapordise potential weight loss. I did some surfing last night and found a forum where they reckon Dr Johnson recommends a 36 hour straight DD is more effective.

What do you think? Any thoughts? Are my UD cals too high to start with or am I on track?
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
SUD

I had the steelcut oats for breakfast- they were DELISH! but I'm sad to say it set me up for a carb binge - couldn't get enough chocolate today....was craving it so bad. Even though I added cinnamon and nuts to it, I couldn't get past the cravings! So there is something in the oats that I can't have first thing in the morning. Guess I'm really sensitive to the carbs; I still need to stick with my protein (and no carbs) in the am for UD's and DD's! Holds me the longest in the morning and I don't get any cravings.

Shell, the oats took about 20 minutes to cook. Too bad you don't live next door; I'd run them over to you!!!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pommy--I think an UD of less than 2000 cals is great--it is really important to trust that this works especially if you really pay attention on your DD's--We all go thru an adjustment with our UD's--if you can keep the mindset that you are shooting for a DD and a regular day, it helps a lot, but we have all had SUD's as well. Be patient with yourself, try and stay mindful and you will get there.

On another note, 126 sounds awfully low for 5'5"--but we all know our own bodies--

P.S. you aren't bombarding us at all--we were all newbies once as well
Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
146 Reasons Sugar Is Bad For You...

I found this on the Recommended Reading section of LCF and wanted to pass it on. Yikes!

146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-24-2010 at 06:06 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
I had the steelcut oats for breakfast- they were DELISH! but I'm sad to say it set me up for a carb binge - couldn't get enough chocolate today....was craving it so bad. Even though I added cinnamon and nuts to it, I couldn't get past the cravings! So there is something in the oats that I can't have first thing in the morning. Guess I'm really sensitive to the carbs; I still need to stick with my protein (and no carbs) in the am for UD's and DD's! Holds me the longest in the morning and I don't get any cravings.

Shell, the oats took about 20 minutes to cook. Too bad you don't live next door; I'd run them over to you!!!
Awww thanks GrammyPat! I will be in Virginia the beginning of July to visit family. I love it there. Where in VA are you?

Michelle
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Pommychick-I think all of us enjoyed the relief of being able to eat less restricted on updays, I know I did. It appeared that you did not exceed your upday, and I think below 500 cals on the down days is fine.
I found that after a few weeks of really feasting on the updays I am gradually eating less all the time. So enjoy the freedom of this eating plan, you probably will make some adjustments later on just naturally.
I had a good dd yesterday, but found that my usual "soups" were not enough. So I just microwaved 2 cups of frozen broccoli and sprayed it with nocal butter spray and that was enough. Guess I just needed to chew something. came in about 350 cals, which is really low for me, I usually do the 500.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Pommychick - the key to this woe is keeping the DD's low. The UD limit on Johnson's calculator isn't set in stone, so you can eat more than those allotted cals or less. When I first started this woe my UD's were high and junky. It was that last supper before the DD mentality. But that wore off quickly and now I eat intuitively on UD's. So I eat what I want when I am hungry and I stop before I get super full. I still enjoy sweets but I don't eat them evey UD now, and I used to. I naturally gravitated towards healthier foods and I learned the I can have everything I want on UD's so the "cheating" novelty or rebellious part of that wore off. In the beginning I would eat a snack late at night on UD's just because I was scared of the following DD, but I don't do that anymore because I know I can get through the DD no matter what. So focus on conquering DD's and keeping them low (under 500).

Also, I am 5'4" (and a half, really, I rounded up in my stats lol) and I weigh 114 after a DD (can be as high as 118 after an UD or two in a row). This may seem low but I am small boned and have a small frame so it is a good weight for me. I know 110 is too thin for my body and 114-118 is where I like to be. So 126 may be a good goal especially if you have a smaller frame.

Last edited by EmandM; 02-24-2010 at 08:29 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow--what is going on with us JUDDDers? this thread used to be so active--I am missing everybody--

DD for me today--and so far pretty painless, which is totally unusual for me--I am attributing it to the fact that I have recently really upped my good fats on UD's (sardines, heavy cream, coconut oil)--so I think I have some ketosis going on--which is weird, cause I could never get into ketosis doing straight atkins--the IF part of JUDDD seems to help with that!

OK--off to do a fasted workout--I am having a group over for a potluck tonight ( a monthly professional obligation) and I am planning what I can have on my DD!

ouis
Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #225
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Checking IN

Hi guys... Im not caught up on posts. I had a HORRIBLE Endo visit about my thyroid early this week and I'm just PISSED! She tried to put me on phentermine, ally, and an antidepressant! OMG. And my levels are all off...

anyways, long story short I'm switching doctors but in the meantime my thyroid isn't optimized (not even CLOSE) I'm good to function but there's no way I can lose weight right now. I haven't lost weight in like nine months. I'm just trying to maintain even though I'm 15 pounds up from VFT right now (gained 15 in the last 9 months). I haven't done a DD in awhile but I'll try throwing some in next week. Just trying to keep my head above water and be grateful for the fact that I'm at least functioning.

Sorry for going MIA not sure how much I'll be posting...
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kisha--come up to Santa Rosa and go see my doc--of course insurance doesnt cover anything--but I really felt taken care of. I am so sorry you went through all that--it has really been a long haul for you--

ouis
Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Kisha--come up to Santa Rosa and go see my doc--of course insurance doesnt cover anything--but I really felt taken care of. I am so sorry you went through all that--it has really been a long haul for you--

ouis
I am MORE THAN WILLING TO DRIVE! My insurance doesn't cover anything anyways? Who is your doctor?

My main problem is that despite my low Free T3 Dr. Grellett is freaking out that my TSH is OVERSUPRESSED. Ugh! So she says I'm overmedicated (based on TSH which is supposed to be supressed on Armour duh) even though the frees aren't right.

soooo, who is your doctor, do they care about oversupressed TSH? Do they treat based on Free T's/symptoms, do they prescribe Armour (if one can find it anymore lol)

I have an appointment for 04/26 with the doctor Gina GME is seeing but am really trying to find the best doc available! Its so expensive to start over with a new doc so I don't want to have to do it over and over again!
(thanks)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #228
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
I am MORE THAN WILLING TO DRIVE! My insurance doesn't cover anything anyways? Who is your doctor?

My main problem is that despite my low Free T3 Dr. Grellett is freaking out that my TSH is OVERSUPRESSED. Ugh! So she says I'm overmedicated (based on TSH which is supposed to be supressed on Armour duh) even though the frees aren't right.

soooo, who is your doctor, do they care about oversupressed TSH? Do they treat based on Free T's/symptoms, do they prescribe Armour (if one can find it anymore lol)

I have an appointment for 04/26 with the doctor Gina GME is seeing but am really trying to find the best doc available! Its so expensive to start over with a new doc so I don't want to have to do it over and over again!
(thanks)
I haven't seem my doc for a recheck yet, so I don't know what might happen if my TSH is low. I'm going back the first week in March and I'll be happy to let you know. There's plenty of time for you to cancel if he wusses out on us.

I have been mostly MIA since I haven't really been JUDDDing. I came back to JUDDD right after I got my thyroid medicated and dropped 5 lbs that week. Then back up two pounds and nada for the next two weeks (we need a thumbs down guy) with pretty strict adherence.

We had guests over the long PD weekend and I did a string of LC MDs and finally dropped a couple of pounds. I figured I'd just go with it and I'm down another pound as of this AM. My DH is LCing now so if its going to work for me its just easier to go with the flow.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

To folks that are just lurking, maybe because they haven't been doing the dds, stay with us anyway, just posting will help you get back on track.
Otherwise, maybe a lot of us are just plugging along and doing JUDDD but there isn't much news.
I myself am zeroing in on the idea of being down another pound by next week, that should make me keep my down days as they should be. If I can get there, it will be new territory for me.
Hang in there, everyone, Spring is on its way.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

I'm still here and still Juddding! Had a great UD yesterday and at the end of it realized that today needs to be an UD too as it's my husband's birthday! Ah, such is life. That means DD Friday and another on Sunday which gets me back to my regular rotation, so it's not so bad. I would have done an MD yesterday had I been thinking!

Kisha - I hope you figure things out with your thyroid and meds. It must be beyond frustrating and you handle it like a real trooper. Kudos to you!

Hi to e/e! Gotta get back to teaching! lol
Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

naughty bad up day. I blame Ms. Woods and her "No Whey Cake". Just saying:blush:

ouis
Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
naughty bad up day. I blame Ms. Woods and her "No Whey Cake". Just saying:blush:

ouis
LOL. Um I'm makinc coconut flour chocolate cookies right now. I'm not even pretending I don't plan on eating all six of them!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post

Hey Kisha,
My doctor doesn't even look at TSH anymore. He wants my TSH suppressed. He only looks at Free T4 and how I feel.

I saw your last post where you said your doctor wouldn't increase your dose and I thought about posting, but then didn't, but here is my take on your situation.

When I was just using my GP for my thyroid and fighting with him to get med increases, I started to squirrel away extra pills everytime I got my meds refilled. You know you can get a Rx refilled a couple of days before the date on the bottle and then I would start using the new bottle and save the old pills. I had quite a little stash going. When he wouldn't increase my Levoxyl dose even though my TSH was 4.57 and I was so depressed that I was suicidal, I started to self medicate. Although I only had T4 drugs, I took enough to get the depression under control and until I could find a new doc. I told the new doc that I was self medicating and he didn't blink an eye. I thought that being hyper couldn't be any worse than being hypo.

Just a thought.

I forgot to say that I get ERFA thyroid (desicated pig thyroid) from Universal Drugs in Canada. In fact, I hear that some places are getting Armour back, but I'm going to keep getting it from Canada since it is cheaper and better. It comes in all the same dosages as Armour except that instead of 120mg they have 125mg. Your doctor can write you an Rx for Armour and the dosage or they can write it for just Thyroid and the dosage. You fax it in and they send it to you. Great service....Even got a Christmas card from them! Never got that from any other pharmacy Easy, no hassle.

Last edited by JunkInMyTrunk; 02-25-2010 at 08:56 PM..
JunkInMyTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkInMyTrunk View Post
Hey Kisha,
My doctor doesn't even look at TSH anymore. He wants my TSH suppressed. He only looks at Free T4 and how I feel.

I saw your last post where you said your doctor wouldn't increase your dose and I thought about posting, but then didn't, but here is my take on your situation.

When I was just using my GP for my thyroid and fighting with him to get med increases, I started to squirrel away extra pills everytime I got my meds refilled. You know you can get a Rx refilled a couple of days before the date on the bottle and then I would start using the new bottle and save the old pills. I had quite a little stash going. When he wouldn't increase my Levoxyl dose even though my TSH was 4.57 and I was so depressed that I was suicidal, I started to self medicate. Although I only had T4 drugs, I took enough to get the depression under control and until I could find a new doc. I told the new doc that I was self medicating and he didn't blink an eye. I thought that being hyper couldn't be any worse than being hypo.

Just a thought.

I forgot to say that I get ERFA thyroid (desicated pig thyroid) from Universal Drugs in Canada. In fact, I hear that some places are getting Armour back, but I'm going to keep getting it from Canada since it is cheaper and better. It comes in all the same dosages as Armour except that instead of 120mg they have 125mg. Your doctor can write you an Rx for Armour and the dosage or they can write it for just Thyroid and the dosage. You fax it in and they send it to you. Great service....Even got a Christmas card from them! Never got that from any other pharmacy Easy, no hassle.
Thanks for the input hon! I actually managed to find a six month supply of 300 mg of armour at a random Target pharmacy. Since I only take 150 per day the 90 pills I got my hands on will last for six months. Score! I WILL have to go to Canada probably for sure when these start running out unless the US supply improves drastically for the better.

Anyways... I'm frustrated! The doc I'm going to is like supposedly the top doc in the bay area with all the rave reviews on the top doc website. *grumpy face*
Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well--I haven't had a DD since Wednesday and can't have another one til Sunday--but c'est la vie--

stewing up a lovely UD dinner in the crockpot--pork chile verde with hominy--it has POURED here today--and DH and I are going to snuggle up and watch a video and eat warm stew--

Memorial service out of town tomorrow, so I may not be checking in again til Sunday--

Ouis
Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
I'm going to throw in hear about the Armour...

Thanks for the info about the Canadian pharmacy... I've been getting Armour from a compounding pharmacy here in Georgia. It's great to still be able to get it, but I'm paying 36 dollars per month, where before I was getting the pills for like $9 per month.

I'll check into the Canadian thing...

Just a quick question about the diet...

Do I understand that I start with an induction program of 2 weeks of the low cal days before you start the alternating between up days and then down days?

Thanks,
Karla
NeGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
I'm going to throw in hear about the Armour...

Thanks for the info about the Canadian pharmacy... I've been getting Armour from a compounding pharmacy here in Georgia. It's great to still be able to get it, but I'm paying 36 dollars per month, where before I was getting the pills for like $9 per month.

I'll check into the Canadian thing...

Just a quick question about the diet...

Do I understand that I start with an induction program of 2 weeks of the low cal days before you start the alternating between up days and then down days?

Thanks,
Karla
Hi Karla,
NO.... actually the two week induction is still alternating high cal days with low cal days. The key during induction is that the low cal days (Down Days) which you have EVERY OTHER DAY the calories MUST be under 500. So every other day your calories MUST be under 500 for two weeks. After that you can increase the DD calories depending on what the calculator on the JUDD site tells you and what works for you. But you need those alternating 500 cal days for two weeks in order to activate the SIRT1 gene.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #238

Okay I know I went MIA

but where did Leo go in my absence? Is she on her cruise?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Thanks Kisha! That sounds much more 'doable'!

I was wondering how I'd make it on 500 calories for 2 weeks without hcg or something like that.

Karla
NeGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
I everyone. I abandoned Judd on February 1st for weight watchers. Been doing well, losing about 2 pounds per week. Just checking in here. The down days were too hard for me, and I couldn't seem to get my up days under control.

I was 223 January 1st, when I quit Judd I was 220. Today, after 26 days on weight watchers I am 213.
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote