Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
EmandM-you can get better advice from someone who is a runner, or at least more active than I am, but I would suggest maybe the 100 cal protein shakes, before the run. They digest quickly and wouldn't interfere with the running.
I do this sometimes if I have to go for a long drive, or to the mall, or go play for a dance, and I know I might run out of energy before I get back.
Just finished a dd, mostly soup as usual. wt holding. Other than the sinuses, everything is ok.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
If you read the paleo blogs, those guys work out fasted all the time--they say the body eventually "ketoadapts" to hard workouts. I myself get a little lightheaded--so I have made a shake--1/2 scoop of protein powder (8 g protein 38 alories, added some dissolvable glucomann fiber (0/0) and as liquid I use powerade 0 which has all the dissolved mineral/metabolites you need to get thru a workout--so for 35 to 40 cals I get protein, fiber, and potassium i need to get thru an intense training session. I also make this concoction sometimes to just get thru a DD!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #183
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
Hi everyone! I am here. I was away for a long weekend (we had Monday off as Family Day in Ontario). It was nice as I got to spend it with my dad (who was just diagnosed with Parkinson's for those who may not know). My eating was off all weekend (delicious food and lot's of Valentine's and Chinese New Year food - my husband is Asian). Back to my regular routine now. I do have a question for everyone and looking for some advice. I run with a running group Wed/Thurs and Sundays. It will change to Mon/Wed/Sun mid-March but until then I struggle with my DD on the Thursdays (my dd's are Tues/Thurs/Sun and I cannot change these due to social things every Fri and Sat). If I eat too little I am super hungry on my run Thursday night. I try to save my calories for the evening, but if I eat too close to my run time I get cramps. I am trying to figure out the best thing to do. I am thinking maybe a snack at 4 (I run at 7) and then the rest of my DD cals when I get back. It's just hard to run 6 km or do 5 hills if I've only had 100-150 cals. Any suggestions?
I haven't figured that one out myself. I am OK to run on the morning of a DD, but not the afternoon. I think I personally would do better if I ate my cals during the day and nothing after. If you aren't running until 7 (pm right?) there won't be much day left after you get done. I usually go a little higher than 500 cals if I've had a good run that day.

My best prerun meal I have found yet is oatmeal. I eat it at least an hour before I go out. I am usually OK on just about anything for runs less than five miles though.

Hills are a whole 'nother ballgame. If I'm going to run hills I need a bigger spread than an hour to keep from . I run alone so I just adapt what I'm doing depending on whether its an UD or DD.

Good luck and let me know if you figure out a great schedule.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Oatmeal was a great suggestion. I am not carb-sensitive so I can have it. I had it tonight at 5 pm and ran 6 km at 7:45 and wasn't hungry and had no cramps, so I think this might be a winner! I wasn't even hungry after but ate anyway cuz it's a DD and I still had calories leftover. Anyone have suggestions for that type of thing? I always eat all of my allotted calories even if I'm not hungry. It's a bad habit for DD's and I need to break it! lol For now my DD's are Sun which is also when I do my long runs (as in 10 km - 13 km) so I may have to add a few more than 500 calories for my Sundays. For my Thursday runs which fall on DD's for the next few weeks I will fast in the day and then have oatmeal before I run. Thanks everyone!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #185
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad to help. Are you training for a particular race?
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Great emandm! I am glad you found something to give you energy that still keeps the
cals low. I have never been a big oatmeal fan, but might want to try some.
Maybe brekky tomorrow??

As far as eating if you aren't hungry, I would suggest eating something really low cal (like some raw veggies) first, just to see if it is just more about just the act of eating more than satisfying a craving. Not sure if that would keep you from eating more, but at least that way, if it does, then great-- you've had an even lower dd, and if not, you aren't really out anything, other than just a few calories.
Lately, I like to sprinkle tomatoes or cukes with vinegar and some kind of herb, like dill and a little flaked fancy salt.

Today has been a good dd for me. First one under 500 in a while.
Phew.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Today has been a good dd for me. First one under 500 in a while.
Phew.
Good job on a successful DD. I am still working on it. Almost made it yesterday, but then couldn't sleep because I was hungry. I got up and had 1/2 an apple with a little PB. After that I fell asleep. I think I need to save some calories to have a little snack before bed.

Today is 3 weeks no ambien, and for the most part I am sleeping pretty good after eliminating all caffeine. I do seem to have more trouble on my DD's though.

Michelle
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle, I normally am not troubled by sleeping problems, but have found the down day nights to be a bit difficult at times. Insomnia really stinks, so I hope that yours gets better.

I am back to 152 this a.m. and am at least happy about that.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Glad to help. Are you training for a particular race?
There are a few races coming up that I want to do. They are all 10 km. One is Easter Sunday and the other is at the beginning of May. The May one is all downhill so that is appealing! lol I have to look into what the causes are first, and that will help with my decision.

Snaggle - I love your advice and I will definately try it. I just like to nibble and I like to eat when my family eats. If the oatmeal continues to keep me that full on DD's it will be a regular DD meal for me. I ate it at 5 (1/3 of a cup raw oats cooked with water and I added a touch of ground flax and some stevia) and I ran 6 km and by 9 pm I STILL wasn't hungry. Not at all, but I ate just cause! :blush:
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

emandm-- I was so inspired by your oatmeal suggestion, that I tried doing overnight steel cut oatmeal. I only used a half cup and it made a ton- so I can have some tomorrow on my down day for breakfast. For this mornings breakfast, I wanted to avoid my usual up day bacon (lent), so it was a great alternative. I added toasted almonds and a few dried cranberries, some s.f. maple syrup and milk. Really good and filling. I just hope I don't get big carb cravings later on, like I usually do when I don't have a protein breakfast.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Snaggle - that is great! Steel cut is the best, and even better when cooked overnight. I hope it doesn't stimulate cravings. Maybe the almonds will offset them. My nutritionist (hollistic and a big fan of protein, she is not your typical food pyramid pusher at all) suggests only steel cut with nuts and seeds to keep you full and keep the cravings at bay, so keep me posted as to how you feel. I was amazed how long it kept me full for so few calories, esp considering I ran. And I ate not because of cravings, but because of habit/boredom! lol
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #192
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

If it isn't a DD, I eat my oatmeal with butter, pecans and dried cranberries. Man, I love that stuff. Keeps me full for a long time and no cravings. I'm not a subscriber to the whole idea that you have to 'carb up' to exercise but I do need some carbs to run well. Hike, bike, kayak, whatever else, it doesn't seem to matter.

A race that is all downhill? Where do you find something like that? 10k is a good distance. You feel like you have really run something, but it isn't all-out exhausting. I don't usually need anything other than a little water (depending on temp of course) and you don't have to worry about gus or anything at that distance.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Update: I did not have any cravings or bad hunger after my oatmeal this a.m., so
I will definitely try it again.
Had clam chowder for lunch. mmm
Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Yay Snaggle! Great news that it didn't cause your cravings. It's been a great DD meal for me so far this week!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Hi!
Can I please join you?

My name is Andrea and I am an English girl living in New Zealand hence the "pommy chic" nickname.

I quit smoking last July - quit a twenty-a-day habit for twenty years. Quite a bit deal for me but unfortunately, so is the weight that I gained with it!

I have really struggled to lose the extra pounds I have put on.. Normally, when I smoked, my method of weight loss was to just decrease the food and increase the smokes. Now, I do not substitude food for cigs anymore but I do like my food.

Since July, I have lurched from one diet to another.. I did Atkins but really struggled to stay on track and never made it out of induction. I didnt lose any weight - found it a pain cooking and shopping for different foods (the rest of my family love fruit, wholegrains and low fat etc etc) so I finally gave in when I went on holiday.

I have just done the infamous fad diet 18in4 which a friend gave me a copy of. Those 4 days were the longest days of my life. I lost 9 pounds on my weigh in on the Friday, and put it all straight back on by the Monday... all that for nothing!

I have stumbled across this JUDDD way of weight loss and it sounds perfect for me. I need something simple, easy and something where there are no specific food lists, and because we love entertaining and I have a sweet tooth, I need something where your diet isnt completely blown because you have had a mouthful of chocolate cake!

I dont have the book, but have looked at the website. I need to shoot for 398 cals on my down days! yikes!

A couple of questions, those who are Low Carbing as well, are you doing Low Carb on the down days only or Low Carbing permanently. Do you get better results incorporating Low Carb eating as well?

I dont have to follow Low Carb for medical reasons and so would prefer to not have to worry about Low Carbing as well as sticking to extreme calories, but I am interested in the difference in the results.

I know it will obviously vary from person to person but whats the typical loss in weight on this plan? Just to give me an idea if I am in for a sloooowww progress!

Oh well, I have waffled on enough. I am starting the diet tomorrow (Monday) which will obviously be my DD. Any tips for a newbie?

Andrea
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #196
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome Andrea! Cute baby- I love that red hair.

There is a mixture of folks here, some low carb and some don't. The ones that do seem to be doing it for medical reasons or to control appetite. If you don't have blood sugar issues and carbs don't make you hungrier, then I would try it with "regular" food.

It is a good diet for entertainers and other social people. Some people set up a regualr pattern of UDs & DDs and some just alternate. For me, a set pattern has been easier (MWF DDs). You can always make adjustments of you see something on your calendar you need an UD for.

In the book he reccomends starting with a two week period of 500 cal DDs. You could try that if 398 seems too daunting.

He also says in the bookthat you can eat anything on your UDs and he likes to go to McDonalds. I wish I had never read that. Nothing slows me down like too much food on my UDs. I try to think of it as the "Regular Day, Down Day Diet."

Go thorugh some old posts and check out the JUDDD recipe thread for some ideas on stuff to eat. After low carbing for years I had little idea how many calories were in things and I didn't know what to eat. I try to keep it simple- I have found some light soups that are 100 calories per can. Some hot dogs that are 40 cals each. I sautee vegetables in beef broth & spray oil. Fish fillets are good. Fruit salsas are good to take the place of dressings. I don't know what you have in NZ so it probably won't do much good to recommend brand names. Clear a couple hours some afternoon and read the labels on everything in your grocery store.

Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Hi Andrea and welcome!

I don't do low carb and I have a sweet tooth as well. I also have a ton of social things which always revolve around food and this woe has been perfect for me. I plan to continue this for life (I am in maintenance now). As far as DD foods go, it depends on what you like. You said you don't need to do low carb. If that's the case, do what I do and fill up on low fat high fiber foods. I will sometimes fast as long as I can on a DD and then eat whatever my family is eating, but just a smaller portion. There is a separate thread with DD ideas. Eggs are a good option too as they are low cal and filling. Johnsons says to do shakes your first few weeks on your DD's as it's easier and you know exactly how many calories you are taking in. I did that for the first week and then ate "real" foods. I was drinking Slim Fast with almond milk so two shakes a day and I would sip them all day. Some people have gone right to real food on DD's but just make sure you know the calorie content. Your DD's are the most important thing. You can overeat on UD's (provided you don't have any other medical issues that would cause a fast gain) and be fine as long as the DD's are low. The first few DD's are really hard, so don't give up as they get easier. Your body adjusts. I still have some DD's that are hard even now, don't get me wrong, but way easier than the beginning.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Andrea.We all are doing somethng different with what we eat, I cut the fat on dds, and do lowcarb on UDs. Personal-I really get hungry on carbs.
I would suggest considering cutting down on sugar and refined grains to anyone..
I am a slow loser, but I lost 26 pounds in 10 weeks last summer, now I am losing a pound a week pretty consistantly, with a little stall here and there.
Once you figure out your own personal path on this, it really is an easy way to live!!!has some other health benefits, too.
Good luck, and again welcome-this is really a nice group of people.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Andrea-- I think you will like this plan. I am like Emandm and appreciate that it works well with a busy social life. I usually do my down days on Sunday, tues and thursday and do ups mon,wed,friday, then do saturday "fast five" style where I
do not eat until dinner and just give myself a 5 hr. eating window. I have been in a holding pattern for quite a while, but it is only because I have not been keeping many of my down days at the 400 cals they should be at, and like Gina said, allowed the up days to have too much food. I love her line calling it the "Regular Day, Down Day diet"

That is a good mantra, along with our other two good ones:
"I (we) can do hard things"
and the other oldie, but goodie: " I can have it tomorrow"

Stick around this thread. We have a great group and our fearless leader (Leo) is on a cruise right now, so you are missing out on her great wisdom.
Not sure where some of the others are: HEY Kisha, grammypat, Bill, Amy, Ouis, Leisa, tami, redeemed!! where are y'all???
Old 02-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm here! doing fine--anxious to have Leo come back--I too am missing some of our old regulars--

good UD today--decided to focus more on protein on my UD's and realize that it makes quite a difference for me in my satiety and ability not to overdo it--Made protein pudding, had some almond butter, and made snapper veracruz for dinner--I like UD's that feel moderate for sure!

Plenty of exercise the last few days--Hope that show up in the scale later in the week.

DD tomorrow--and a long long day at work--but it will all be fine

welcome to our newbie!

Ouis
Old 02-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #201
Junior LCF Member

Hi Everyone!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the tips.. you guys seem a friendly bunch on here.. albiet a bit quiet...I have just nearly finished my first DD. It wasnt quite as painful as I thought it would be seeing as I have had a massive blowout this weekend! I came in *just* under the 500 calorie mark and have done my exercise DVD so I am pretty chuffed.

I have been trying to absorbe as much info as I can on the plan. I had to smile when I read one of - I think it is Sara's posts when I read that she had put that she hadnt told anyone she was on ANOTHER diet as it has got embarrassing.. that's me. I havent even told my hubby I am starting yet another diet as I only came across it late last night whilst surfing the net. I just didnt want the groans and the "what are you doing this time?"

These damn 14 pounds have just been soooo flipping hard to shift! It just seems all too good to be true, I really hope it works for me.

One question I have is about shakes... we are very limited in terms of products here in NZ and unless it can be killed, dug out of the ground or picked off a tree, I probably wont be able to get hold of it! LOL Anyone got any recipes for very low cal homemade shakes?

Ta ta for now...

Andrea
Old 02-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey Juddders!

Andrea! I don't really do low carb. I don't go crazy on them, just don't keep them really low.

I am here...still struggling, but here...lol.

I am leaving Thursday morning for Cancun! I am so ready for a break from work, school, kids, etc. I think I will take a break from dieting as well and not worry too much. My goal is to maintain while we are there.

Leo - Hurry back! We miss you!

Michelle
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know, I never did the shakes for my DD--I just ate food and kept it below 500--but I think any good whey powder mixed with sf almond milk or sf liquid of your choice will do the trick.

We have been quiet lately--odd--because in the past we have been quite a noisy lot--In a way, I wonder if it isn't because the simplicity of this plan just works so very well--if you can stick with it and if your UD's stay reasonable, the weight comes off. Period.

Shell--have fun on your holiday! Another nice thing about juddd is how forgiving it is!

DD for me today--and a very long day at the office--I am not home to eat til 7:30. Fortunately I have learned how to handle these long DD's, so I am not worried.

I have noticed that although I might feel some hunger pangs early in the day (particularly from around 11-3 or 4), after 4 pm, I don't get many hunger pangs. These kind of observations really help you manage your DD's--

Ouis
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Andrea-If you absolutely can't get your hands on any protein powder shakes, that suggestion was just for convenience, accuracy. Other folks have just used 100 cal portions of regular food 4-5 times a day. I would suggest figuring out some that will work for you & use it over and over again. I know some folks make egg white omelets made with Pam type spray, and vegetables stir fried.
I make some soups. 2 cups Tomatoes, canned, diced,(50 cals) blended, heated. Have in a large bowl and add tiny amount (about 1/16 tsp soda) stir like crazy as it will foam up. Add 1 tsp heavy cream(15 cals)-can use butter spray for flavor. I never seem to get tired of this.
Chicken broth-heated, onion powder, 1 tsp heavy cream (less than 50 calories/cup)
My friend makes a 100 cal fruit smoothie out of frozen fruit, sips on it.
New soup-large can tomato sauce, equal amounts water, heat-1tbsp dried oregano, last 5-10 minutes add some chopped green pepper-could use other vegs (cabbage, broccoli, celery, spinach????)-could serve with heavy cream 1 tsp or parmesan cheese if needed a little flavor for few calories.
Fish filet poached in water with onion powder, garlic powder, add heavy cream 1 tsp or butter spray (0 cal) to taste. Makes a fish chowder, very tasty.
Canned shrimp with nocarb catsup and horseradish.
Some chicken breasts or tuna measured out for 100 cals.
Weigh out some
Check the JUDDD recipe site for lots of other DD recipes
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey--

I just read an excellent post on the Heart Scan Blog about gastric emptying and feelings of satiety. It recommended both cinnamon and vinegar to effect that state.

I just made a great hot drink: 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 Tbs ACV dissolved in hot water. It immediately took away my hunger pangs and tasted delicious. I will report back about the long term effects.

Just a note to Andrea: I find it easier not to eat at all until dinner--I sip on teas, 5 cal/cup broth, etc until dinner time and then eat all my 500 cals at once. If I get really hungry, I make a shake with psyllium fiber and a little crystal light which keeps me going. When I divvied up my calories thru the day I felt too hungry. Other people prefer that method. Some of us eat most of our calories at breakfast. It is important to experiment and see where your preference lies.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Snaggle I'm here. Been a very bad girl though. :blush: Don't know what I weigh - too afraid to step on the scale. I think I'll start over on March 1st. Don't know if I'll do 1400 calories daily or JUDDD. Probably JUDDD because of the easy weight loss. Congratulations to those of you who have lost - and to new JUDDDers!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey Redeemed! Nice to "see" you!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Redeemed-- don't beat yourself up, just get back on the saddle asap.
I know for me that usually just one good down day will get me back in the zone.

I gather that you did not find success with the 1400 cal a day concept?
I would be interested to hear about your experience.

Ouis, I may have to try that "tonic".
Your comments about cinnamon reminded me how I had been taking cinnamon capsules
twice a day all last summer and fall while doing Juddd (more successfully than I have been lately).
I haven't had any in a while. It makes me wonder...............................
God knows, I need any help I can get with appetite suppression!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Hi

Just been reading the threads (lots to get through) phew!
I wondered if some kind person could tell me what the following abbreviations are:-

SUD
SDD
Siggy weight ??

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Hey guys! I'm still here....

Hi y'all, thanks for asking about me Snaggle! I've been here; just trying to get back in the swing of things. Have made a couple of interesting observations: sugar free gum sets me up for sugar cravings big time! Yes, it's that old AS argument again....man! I couldn't get enough of it on my DD's and then started chewing on my UD's too! Gained 5 pounds in about 3 days.....I know Mammapo - it's water so after a good DD yesterday with no gum, am down 3 of that. (By the way, where are you? are you over the flu yet?)

Interesting you are talking about vinegar and cinnamon.....Leo talked about vinegar suppressing the appetite and I started using her chicken broth recipe with my tweak of AS added: 2 cups chicken broth (10 cals), 2 tsp hot sauce, 2 tbls ACV plus sweetener to taste and this is awesome on my DD's and really helps to cut the hunger. I sip on that at lunch and have two CG crisps with mustard and half a turkey slice and no sugar pickles. That will last until dinner. (I can't save all my calories for one meal; I have to eat throughout the day.)

I just started reading about cinnamon and have been adding it to my WOE. Some say it helps increase metabolism (not sure about that one), as well as lower blood sugar so I take it with every meal. Wow, I was hungry late last night (DD) so had a CarbMaster yogurt and a teaspoon of peanut butter. I think it's from the cinnamon since I was shaky too. Thanks for the info Ouis! I'm going to try your hot drink recipe too!

I printed off some green smoothie recipes to help stave off hunger as well. The fiber in the greens seems to help some but they definitely make you feel alert!

So today is an UD....I like that "regular day" thinking too! Made some steel cut oats last night so I'll try those for breakfast and hope, like Snaggle, they don't set me up for a carb binge today. I read that steel cut oats have a lower GI than regular rolled oats so I want to see if it will last and keep me full all morning. Bon Voyage Shell! Have a wonderful vacation! Miss you Leo!!! can't wait to hear how it went for you! Hi Redeemed - I agree with Snaggle - don't beat yourself up. But March 1st is a long time away and I remember how hard it was for you to get those DD's under your belt....maybe you should start now ???? Just something to think about....I'm sorry the 1400 cals/day didn't work for you....have you figured out what happened? it's all good info, you know?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote