Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mammapo
Stats: 184.4/168/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/9/ 2009. paused 2/2010. restart 10/30/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
okay, yes, that looks right! If I start doing the Power of 10, would you recommend the last calorie level?
that really depends on whether you will still do cardio. If yes, then YES.

IF no, then I'd do moderate for at least the first 3 weeks, while you build muscle. Then yes.

mammapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #122
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ouis-

As you probably know Mark Sisson writes about 80% compliance being OK, so perhaps you can give up the AS and retain that 85% chocolate?

Personally, if I were going to have anything sweet, I'd take the "real thing" over the artificial, and the consensus is that the chocolate is so good for you (at least that's the consensus at the moment; I tend to ignore a lot of that because it changes so rapidly).
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Finished a good DD yesterday

Just checking in....had mesquite smoked turkey (from the deli-so good!) with one cup of broccolini for dinner last night, and I was stuffed! Leo, I continue to take pages out of your book! I am so liking the M-W-F DD structure with UDs on Sat and am working on my Sun MD. I can do the MD better if I only eat two meals instead of 3; it's a work in progress.

Having tried true alternation, I agree, that it gets confusing trying to remember what day it is and then plan what I'm supposed to eat (plus the power of numbers is helping me too in that I know there are lots of others here who do the M-W-F DD too!).

Ouis, whatever you do re AS, just hang in there with JUDDD. This is all a process and truly a learning about ourselves. I cringe to think of someone yelling at you - I'm sorry you were the brunt of someone else's anger - But I'm so glad to hear you did not eat over it - I know I would have!

Mammapo, I am loving reading your posts. Thanks again for coming back! I would love to know your story......
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
Mammapo, I am loving reading your posts. Thanks again for coming back! I would love to know your story......
Ditto, Naomi!

Glad your dd was better than mine. I have two sick girls in my house and yesterday all day long I had this nagging little feeling. Today I woke up with barely a voice....major drainage....going to down the D and C vits and see if I can head this thing off.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ditto, Naomi!

Glad your dd was better than mine. I have two sick girls in my house and yesterday all day long I had this nagging little feeling. Today I woke up with barely a voice....major drainage....going to down the D and C vits and see if I can head this thing off.
Funny enough, so did I. Oh boy. I'm hoping it's not strep.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
Okay, so here's the bullet point version:
  • athlete in high school and college, from a big family with thyroid and compulsive/emotional eating issues. Weight 130
  • Eating disorder in HS peaking freshman year of college. Weight +/-120
  • Beat the anorexia with the help of Weigh Down Workshop. Weight 140
  • Got married. Weight 150
  • First pregnancy - bed rest for first three months. Gained 70 pounds. Weight 210
  • Lost 35 via Atkins. Weight 175
  • Developed cancer. Lost half of quad and hamstring and membrane surrounding thigh muscle... shark bite, lol. Bed rest for 3+ months, then rehab. Gained 15 pounds. Weight 190
  • Lost 10 pounds on anti-cancer diet. Weight 180.
  • Second Child. Bedrest for 3 months. Gained 25 pounds. Weight 205
  • Lost weight by going to gym every day for 3 hours, eating Atkins style. Took 2-3 years to lose 30 pounds. Weight 175.
  • started business. Gained weight due to snacking while traveling and eating leftover goodies, lol. Weight +/- 190
  • Attempted another weight loss plan from the site, carb cycling - too detailed, restrictive, and not enough return on investment for work required. Weight 185
  • started JUDDD January 1, 2009 and C25K
  • Lost 17 pounds as of February 1, 2010. Weight 168
  • Joined gym January 1, 2010, when I realized I don't do outdoor winter running. Doing Power-of-Ten and (optional) walking.

EDUCATION -
concentration: Food science and nutrition (B.A. F.A.C.S.)
WORK -
CEO Better Batter Gluten Free Flour - guest speaker by invitation throughout East coast
PERSONAL
-Believer in Jesus of Jewish descent, who holds to Jewish cultural roots
- Youth Pastor's wife
-Mother of 2 rambunctious boys

Anything else you'd like to know?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammapo View Post
  • athlete in high school and college, from a big family with thyroid and compulsive/emotional eating issues. Weight 130
  • First pregnancy - bed rest for first three months. Gained 70 pounds. Weight 210
  • Developed cancer. Lost half of quad and hamstring and membrane surrounding thigh muscle... shark bite, lol. Bed rest for 3+ months, then rehab. Gained 15 pounds. Weight 190
  • Lost weight by going to gym every day for 3 hours, eating Atkins style. Took 2-3 years to lose 30 pounds. Weight 175.
  • started business. Gained weight due to snacking while traveling and eating leftover goodies, lol. Weight +/- 190
  • Attempted another weight loss plan from the site, carb cycling - too detailed, restrictive, and not enough return on investment for work required. Weight 185
  • Joined gym January 1, 2010, when I realized I don't do outdoor winter running. Doing Power-of-Ten and (optional) walking.

EDUCATION -
WORK -
CEO Better Batter Gluten Free Flour - guest speaker by invitation throughout East coast
PERSONAL
- Youth Pastor's wife

wow! I love hearing people's stories! That's the one thing about these boards that I don't like...you can't really know people .....well, unless you ask, lol! Thank you Naomi! I loved reading your story!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Funny enough, so did I. Oh boy. I'm hoping it's not strep.
So do I Naomi! Ours just seems to be viral. Took my oldest to the doctor yesterday as she sounds like she's coughing up a lung and she has a touch of bronchitis but her lungs are clear, so I put a chicken in the cook in the crockpot last night....still cooking. We'll have some good broth today and a casserole or something tonight. We're going to dose up on D and C and lay low today. Seems to be a hard one to kick to the curb. My oldest has been sick more on than off since the second week of Jan. and my middle got it and seems to be over it, but my youngest got it, got better, then started feeling bad again yesterday.

Hope you get rid of yours soon!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #129
Senior LCF member

Thanks for your story, Naomi. I'm convinced that some of us are hardwired by genetics to gain weight, and the disorders come from reactions to that when we're young.

For example, everyone in my mother's family has weight issues, and I can tell from family pictures that between the ages of 2 and 5, I began gaining weight rapidly. I recall personal 'food issues' when I was about 8, so I suspect that my mother's panic at seeing her DD gaining so rapidly helped create those issues for me. I know that when I was in elementary school, my mother was very concerned with my weight, and in those days doctors gave diet pills, which further complicated my life. Since my mother couldn't deal with her own weight issues, she really couldn't help me with mine.

Childhood obesity is a far more complex situation than today's "experts" seem to realize, especially when they want to treat it with the SAD--or put kids on statins as I read recently!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Thanks for your story, Naomi. I'm convinced that some of us are hardwired by genetics to gain weight, and the disorders come from reactions to that when we're young.

For example, everyone in my mother's family has weight issues, and I can tell from family pictures that between the ages of 2 and 5, I began gaining weight rapidly. I recall personal 'food issues' when I was about 8, so I suspect that my mother's panic at seeing her DD gaining so rapidly helped create those issues for me. I know that when I was in elementary school, my mother was very concerned with my weight, and in those days doctors gave diet pills, which further complicated my life. Since my mother couldn't deal with her own weight issues, she really couldn't help me with mine.

Childhood obesity is a far more complex situation than today's "experts" seem to realize, especially when they want to treat it with the SAD--or put kids on statins as I read recently!
Leo, this brings a question to mind and I guess of poll of sorts. I'd love to know what you and anyone else feel is the best way to handle a dd who does have a tendency to carb sensitivity and weight gain. My 13 year old started getting just a tiny bit pudgy at around 8 and is still not overly big at this point but is about 5 feet and 130 pounds. Just enough extra weight to make her feel uncomfortable and want to do something about it. She joined the gym with me and really enjoys it so I think we're on the right track. I try to just stress healthy eating and cutting out fast foods and junk as much as is possible. What do you see as particular no-no's in regards to dealing with young people concerning their weights and is there anything you would say is a definite "do"?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:

EDUCATION -
WORK -
PERSONAL
- Youth Pastor's wife

Thanks for sharing. I knew some of this from our PM's. I did not know about the bedrest, shark bite and cancer (among other things). Wow! Glad you got through all of that!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Leo--quick Paleo question--I have been reading both the *** blog and PaNu--also following the Paleo discussion (about protein) on the ML yesterday and today--those folks don't recommend the PaNu strategy in combination with JUDDD, but I am not so sure about that--I know that you keep calories low on your UD, but how high is your fat? I have been doing a kind of Fast 5 today for my UD, but in line with the PaNu strategy, I have had some coffee with hwc. You are my expert on both JUDDD and paleo, so I am interested in your take on this stuff.

fondly,

Ouis

P.S. Where are you Kisha?
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Quote:

EDUCATION -
WORK -
PERSONAL
- Youth Pastor's wife

Wow, you've been through loads . . . thanks for that!

I had an ud yesterday and I'm having a md today as I really want to switch to the monday wednesay friday down day format that many seem to be doing. Good solution to the weighing once a week thing! So after saturday's weigh in you would go ahead and have an ud but how about sunday? Is it a md??
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #134
Senior LCF member

Leisa-
Interesting you ask because my sister has been through a lot of this with my niece (now 17). When she was younger (about 10), my sister had her tested by a pediatric endocrinologist, and she's highly metabolic resistent. However, the child had no desire to "diet," and the doctor said that she would never treat a child unless the child initiated the talk about losing weight. She also said that no child under 12 or 13 is really capable of making that type of decision. That resonated with me because I was 14 when I went on my own weight loss plan (and lost 85 lbs in 8 months--and soon regained it all because I knew nothing about maintenance at that age, and I was on my own).

If your daughter is interested in losing a little weight, the very best thing you can do for her is facilitate the process (provide good foods for her; help her learn portion control, etc.) and be her cheerleader. I know that you stress health rather than weight, and that's the best approach. You certainly don't want her to develop the "How fast can I get to goal?" mentality. She should not even think of a goal but decide how she feels, looks, etc. You're already helping her be more active, and that's another good thing.

Ouis-
I don't read the PaNu stuff, so I don't know why they don't think you can combine it with JUDDD. I do know that a lot of folks on *** do IF, and JUDDD is a form of IF, in a way. Since JUDDD allows you to eat 'anything' so long as you count the calories (on DDs), I don't see why it's not compatible with plans that focus on certain food groups.

As to my fat intake, I have absolutely no idea because unlike virtually everyone else on these boards, I don't use any of the tracking systems. I count my calories and carbs in my head as well estimating my protein grams.(very experienced at this).

I don't seek out fat, but I eat a lot of wild salmon (at least 2x a week), and my favorite parts of meat are always the fatty things--like skin on chicken. I almost always either saute veggies in olive oil and garlic or roast them also with OO & garlic. However, I'd estimate that my protein intake is higher than my fat (just because I watch calories). I was making my own mayo for a few months, but for the past month I've been using "light" Hellmann's to cut calories. But I've also moved to whole eggs on my UDs (rather than egg whites which I use on DDs), that I did not eat for a long time, since the yolks are considered highly inflammatory. I find that I'm not getting that effect--perhaps because of this clean eating. I also eat nuts at times, and almond butter as a "treat," so I'm certainly not 'low fat'--at least not on UDs.

Is this at all helpful?

Tami-
Yes, I try to make Sunday a MD. Actually, I usually decide based on my "social schedule"--i.e., if I have a special lunch or dinner out on one of those days, I'll make that the UD and the other one a MD. But since I have such a limited social life, my MD is usually Sunday because after Friday's DD and my weigh in on Sat. morning, I find I want to eat
Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Leo, this brings a question to mind and I guess of poll of sorts. I'd love to know what you and anyone else feel is the best way to handle a dd who does have a tendency to carb sensitivity and weight gain. My 13 year old started getting just a tiny bit pudgy at around 8 and is still not overly big at this point but is about 5 feet and 130 pounds. Just enough extra weight to make her feel uncomfortable and want to do something about it. She joined the gym with me and really enjoys it so I think we're on the right track. I try to just stress healthy eating and cutting out fast foods and junk as much as is possible. What do you see as particular no-no's in regards to dealing with young people concerning their weights and is there anything you would say is a definite "do"?
A big no-no is concentrating on weight as a number or frankly on size at that age.

I would say a definite "DO" is the following:
- Teach right thinking versus 'public' thinking... this means "I will think accurately about myself and my state... neither too highly nor too little. I will accurately assess my place in this world and realize that my body is only one part of me - my gifts, calling, personality, interests, and spirituality are as valid a part of my assessment as my health."

- Teach right living. "I will do what is right and healthy, no matter if everyone is doing it or noone is doing it. I will treat my body as a holy temple worthy of all of the following: life-building foods, energy-creating movements, health-promoting hygiene, and spirit lifting rest and refreshment."

- Break the cycle of living according to others perceptions. Teach "As long as I am treating my body in a healthy and respectful manner, the attitudes of others toward my body or behaviours are inconsequential."

- Break the cycle of being product oriented. Teach process orientation, "I am constantly growing and changing. If I treat my body in a healthy and respectful manner, and if I accurately assess what I need to do to become healthier and more whole, I will form into the person I was meant to be. This is valid and blessed and someone I will embrace."

- Show your awkward pictures. Show his/her most cherished role model's awkward pictures. Use this as a teaching moment to show that nobody starts out 'hot' - everyone is awkward, changing, and insecure at some time. Teach them that the most successful people have the most awkward childhoods... this is very, very, very true. Teach them that if they are awkward, it is a good thing... they have potential. Remind them that nobody at 35 wants their golden years to have been at 15..... even while acknowledging that having awkwardness sucks big time.

- DO stuff with your kids... hiking, playing catch in the yard, walkign to the grocery as opposed to riding. Model activity instead of nagging about it. Make activity a natural part of life AND a natural part of entertainment instead of a side-job. Children are built for play, not for 'workouts'

- EAT HEALTHY - eat the proper portions. Eat a diverse diet. Eat 5-10 servings of whole, fresh, raw veggies/fruits a day. get the whole family up to 24g of fiber a day.

- GET SLEEP - get at least 8 hours. Realize that teenagers need about 12-15 hours. While they can make it up on weekends (we can't) you need to factor how many hours they could literally make up and adjust bedtimes and waking times for this. Sleep deprivation = insulin resistance and slowed metabolism as well as poor cognitive function, increased appetite, and loss of impulse control. For you as well as for them.

- PRACTice what you preach.... STOP worrying about weight. Start worrying about health. Teach yourself the above principles...

AND THESE ARE CONTROVERSIAL DOs BUT I'VE CHOSEN THIS FOR MY KIDS...
Based on clinical research about attitudes, behaviour, and sense of self-worth...

** Limit tv/movies/video games/popular music to less than...
- any time for under 2
-2 hours a week for 3-13
-4 hours a week for 13+

All these media devices teach false images of what's attractive or physically possible to achieve while simultanously selling the things that contribute to decline - junk food, sedentary behaviour, lack of cortical reflex leading to reduced metabolism and depression...

** Limit cell phone/texting/IMing/chatting. Either eliminate or limit severely.
These reinforce peer attitudes and behaviour as defining the self-concept. Young people are notoriously cruel in their assessment of self and others, unstable in opinon, and insecure. This is NOT who should be defining self worth.

** Limit extracurricular activities to 1 or 2 total
Research demonstrates that as opposed to the assumption that these activities would limit risk taking behaviours and negative senses of self worth, the opposite is actually true.

** Limit one-on-one or non-platonic mixed gender interaction
Research shows that the earlier boys and girls are allowed to "date" the more likely they are to struggle with risk taking behaviour, sexual activity before age of consent, and low self esteem/self-worth.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
A big no-no is concentrating on weight as a number or frankly on size at that age.

I would say a definite "DO" is the following:
- Teach right thinking versus 'public' thinking... this means "I will think accurately about myself and my state... neither too highly nor too little. I will accurately assess my place in this world and realize that my body is only one part of me - my gifts, calling, personality, interests, and spirituality are as valid a part of my assessment as my health."

- Teach right living. "I will do what is right and healthy, no matter if everyone is doing it or noone is doing it. I will treat my body as a holy temple worthy of all of the following: life-building foods, energy-creating movements, health-promoting hygiene, and spirit lifting rest and refreshment."

- Break the cycle of living according to others perceptions. Teach "As long as I am treating my body in a healthy and respectful manner, the attitudes of others toward my body or behaviours are inconsequential."

- Break the cycle of being product oriented. Teach process orientation, "I am constantly growing and changing. If I treat my body in a healthy and respectful manner, and if I accurately assess what I need to do to become healthier and more whole, I will form into the person I was meant to be. This is valid and blessed and someone I will embrace."

- Show your awkward pictures. Show his/her most cherished role model's awkward pictures. Use this as a teaching moment to show that nobody starts out 'hot' - everyone is awkward, changing, and insecure at some time. Teach them that the most successful people have the most awkward childhoods... this is very, very, very true. Teach them that if they are awkward, it is a good thing... they have potential. Remind them that nobody at 35 wants their golden years to have been at 15..... even while acknowledging that having awkwardness sucks big time.

- DO stuff with your kids... hiking, playing catch in the yard, walkign to the grocery as opposed to riding. Model activity instead of nagging about it. Make activity a natural part of life AND a natural part of entertainment instead of a side-job. Children are built for play, not for 'workouts'

- EAT HEALTHY - eat the proper portions. Eat a diverse diet. Eat 5-10 servings of whole, fresh, raw veggies/fruits a day. get the whole family up to 24g of fiber a day.

- GET SLEEP - get at least 8 hours. Realize that teenagers need about 12-15 hours. While they can make it up on weekends (we can't) you need to factor how many hours they could literally make up and adjust bedtimes and waking times for this. Sleep deprivation = insulin resistance and slowed metabolism as well as poor cognitive function, increased appetite, and loss of impulse control. For you as well as for them.

- PRACTice what you preach.... STOP worrying about weight. Start worrying about health. Teach yourself the above principles...

AND THESE ARE CONTROVERSIAL DOs BUT I'VE CHOSEN THIS FOR MY KIDS...
Based on clinical research about attitudes, behaviour, and sense of self-worth...

** Limit tv/movies/video games/popular music to less than...
- any time for under 2
-2 hours a week for 3-13
-4 hours a week for 13+

All these media devices teach false images of what's attractive or physically possible to achieve while simultanously selling the things that contribute to decline - junk food, sedentary behaviour, lack of cortical reflex leading to reduced metabolism and depression...

** Limit cell phone/texting/IMing/chatting. Either eliminate or limit severely.
These reinforce peer attitudes and behaviour as defining the self-concept. Young people are notoriously cruel in their assessment of self and others, unstable in opinon, and insecure. This is NOT who should be defining self worth.

** Limit extracurricular activities to 1 or 2 total
Research demonstrates that as opposed to the assumption that these activities would limit risk taking behaviours and negative senses of self worth, the opposite is actually true.

** Limit one-on-one or non-platonic mixed gender interaction
Research shows that the earlier boys and girls are allowed to "date" the more likely they are to struggle with risk taking behaviour, sexual activity before age of consent, and low self esteem/self-worth.
Naomi, I am again appreciative of the time it must take you to respond so thoroughly to questions. I am guilty of not getting outside with my kids. We live in a rural area with a lake , so it's a great place to send the girls out to play and not really have to worry about them, but I know I really need to get out with them part of the time. When the weather is good, they spend much more time outside but this winter has been so crummy and we've had a lot of sickness that it's been an especially sedentary winter. I'm hoping that changes soon. One thing we did love doing is going to the bike trail when the weather is nice and riding our bikes. We'll be doing that again as soon as we can.

As for the dating thing....not an issue. We've been very open with our girls all their lives about how young people have no business having girlfriends and boyfriends until they are old enough to take it very seriously and in fact we're more into the courtship way of doing things so I'm not worried about that.

Again, you've given me much to print out and re-read. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Leisa-
Interesting you ask because my sister has been through a lot of this with my niece (now 17). When she was younger (about 10), my sister had her tested by a pediatric endocrinologist, and she's highly metabolic resistent. However, the child had no desire to "diet," and the doctor said that she would never treat a child unless the child initiated the talk about losing weight. She also said that no child under 12 or 13 is really capable of making that type of decision. That resonated with me because I was 14 when I went on my own weight loss plan (and lost 85 lbs in 8 months--and soon regained it all because I knew nothing about maintenance at that age, and I was on my own).

If your daughter is interested in losing a little weight, the very best thing you can do for her is facilitate the process (provide good foods for her; help her learn portion control, etc.) and be her cheerleader. I know that you stress health rather than weight, and that's the best approach. You certainly don't want her to develop the "How fast can I get to goal?" mentality. She should not even think of a goal but decide how she feels, looks, etc. You're already helping her be more active, and that's another good thing.

[:
Thanks Leo...good advice! She has recently been making some good choices on her own which is great. She's been having egg and spinach and cheese omelets instead of "bready" breakfast which I know is so much better for her. I'm limiting fast foods and trying to take them to Subway when possible (although it's a bit pricey) if we do need to eat out. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Good Morning JUDDDers!

Well, I did hit a low I haven't seen in a few months on Saturday, but I am struggling with a few things.

I am struggling with sleep, which is nothing new. I have been an insomniac for as long as I can remember. Back in May 2009 I got a script for Ambien and have been taking it since. Not every night, but it is to the point that I take it almost everynight. I really think it has hindered my loss and caused other problems as well. Soooo, almost 2 weeks ago I stopped taking it. I have eliminated ALL caffeine, including chocolate and that has helped some. The problem is I just can't sleep on my DD's. Yesterday I had a great DD, and then last night I couldn't sleep. I thought about taking an ambien, but instead I got up and ate a bowl of beans and had some chips....I fell asleep shortly after. I haven't figured out if it might be the very low carb I eat on DD's that hurts my sleep or if it's the low calorie.

I haven't been exercising at all, which I believe will help with sleep. I am going to get some cardio in and see if that helps. I also might add in some carbs on my DD, and try to "save" them to have before bed.

It is not an option to resort to taking meds at this point. I am determined to figure something else out.

Michelle

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
Good Morning JUDDDers!

Well, I did hit a low I haven't seen in a few months on Saturday, but I am struggling with a few things.

I am struggling with sleep, which is nothing new. I have been an insomniac for as long as I can remember. Back in May 2009 I got a script for Ambien and have been taking it since. Not every night, but it is to the point that I take it almost everynight. I really think it has hindered my loss and caused other problems as well. Soooo, almost 2 weeks ago I stopped taking it. I have eliminated ALL caffeine, including chocolate and that has helped some. The problem is I just can't sleep on my DD's. Yesterday I had a great DD, and then last night I couldn't sleep. I thought about taking an ambien, but instead I got up and ate a bowl of beans and had some chips....I fell asleep shortly after. I haven't figured out if it might be the very low carb I eat on DD's that hurts my sleep or if it's the low calorie.

I haven't been exercising at all, which I believe will help with sleep. I am going to get some cardio in and see if that helps. I also might add in some carbs on my DD, and try to "save" them to have before bed.

It is not an option to resort to taking meds at this point. I am determined to figure something else out.

Michelle
aw, sorry Michelle Insomnia is not something I can relate to. dont' think I've ever had an issue with it. Interesting about the dd factor though...I'll be curious to see if the extra carbs near bedtime seem to help.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #140
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
Good Morning JUDDDers!

Michelle
Congratulations on the new low!

I remember when I started JUDDD having trouble sleeping on DDs. I never really "solved" it I don't think, but I have figured out that carbs aren't such a big deal to me on DDs so do have more than I used to these days and I haven't had the trouble with sleeping. Maybe that's it.

DD for me today. I have quite a bit to get done today so I'll be busy. That will help.

Leo, earlier we were talking about my new thyroid meds and how I was crashing at 5:00 on the old dose and you mentioned that you take your T3 three times a day.... Anyway, I went back and looked at the old bottle (the dose I was crashing on) and sure enough it doesn't say "SR." The new one does. I read about all the folks on the Thyroid board talk about taking their T3 multiple times during the day, if it can be time released, why don't 'they' make it that way??? It doesn't have any brand name (like Cytomel), it's from a compounding pharmacy and just says T3.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #141
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
HELLA BUSY~`

Hi guys hella busy! Still doing my rotations still not losing weight. Obviouslysomething is off. Hopefully Endo will be cooperative @ my appointment later this month!

Frustrated but concentrating on other areas of my life and not giving up and GAINING.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Hi guys hella busy! Still doing my rotations still not losing weight. Obviouslysomething is off. Hopefully Endo will be cooperative @ my appointment later this month!

Frustrated but concentrating on other areas of my life and not giving up and GAINING.
Hi Kisha, sorry you're so busy...unless that's a good thing, lol! Anyway glad you checked in and I do hope your endo will work with you on the thyroid issues. Great job on maintaining!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #143
Senior LCF member

Thought I posted earlier today, but somehow it didn't take--in any case,

Michelle-
Insomnia is the pits, but I've heard awful things about Ambien, so I think you're wise to avoid it. Have you looked into any OTC remedies? I've heard good things about some homeopathic ones, and perhaps your pharmacist can help you identify something that might help. Such things probably don't work with 'hard core' insomnia but might with the sleeplessness of DDs.

Gina
I have my regular appt. with my endo early next month, and I plan to ask him why they don't have time-released Cytomel! It would really be great because there are days when I forget at least one dose (I've taken to separating 3 pills each morning so that I can easily check to see if I've taken them).

Kisha-
Not losing on JUDDD is the pits, but congratulate yourself for not gaining. You know how easy that is for us. Hopefully you'll get your meds adjusted soon and start going down again.

Just finished a DD at 370 cal, and I consider that an accomplishment because I was hungry all morning. I am convinced it's because we've had a snowstorm today, and my body recalls that in the past, every snowstorm was an excuse to hibernate and eat--and eat and eat. So it wanted food today, but I insisted on my DD! I have to keep fighting this body's wish to store fat
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No snow here but my body was demanding food today too! Going to eat a little something in about 15 minutes, hooray--still am unable to do anythng less than 500 cals, but it is ok as i am losing. even tho the scale has been stuck at 168, my body is changing--many people are noticing my weight loss all of a sudden and most of my clothes are really loose. I feel that the scale will catch up soon. Just a thought Kisha!

ouis
Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #145
Senior LCF member

I weighed this morning, even though it's not my 'official' Saturday weigh in because I leave for LA at 4 am on Saturday (for my Hawaii cruise that boards on Sunday). Good news is that I'm down another pound, so JUDDD continues to work its magic.

I'll miss this board while I'm away because I really think it's my lifeline on this journey. But I'll be sure to post as soon as I return to report on how I managed JUDDD while on the cruise.

I was dreading this vacation for a while because I feared that gain would be inevitable. I no longer think this way, and I am sure that I can maintain at the very least and possibly lose a little. I see it as an interesting challenge to see how heathily I can eat while away from home.

Just as we decided about the holidays--this cruise does not have to be all about food. It should be about new places, new people, and the opportunity to relax and enjoy the experience.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo--have the best time--gain, lose, or maintain, just stay in the moment if you can --I hope it is restful and delightful, and congrats on the pound! We will look forward to your return--

Ouis
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #147
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Have a great time Leo.

I had a good DD yesterday and actually went to be feeling full. I had forgotten about the Nathan's hot dogs with 40 cals but I happened by some in the store yesterday. I sauteed some shredded cabbage in spray oil and beef broth, fried up a couple of the hot dogs, put mustard on the whole bowl and had a surprisingly satisfying meal for 125 calories. The rest of my family is getting attached to my cabbage lately too. I've been having to make a triple batch.

UD today and I am happy to have an avocado in my lunch bag.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Bon Voyage Leo!

Have a wonderful time and hope you get to take lots of pictures! I've heard people say Hawaii is paradise. I second what Ouis said and "stay in the moment, if you can!" Whatever happens while you're away (gain, maintain or lose), we still you! Looking forward to hearing how it goes! Thank you Mammapo for posting your story - wow! you'be been through alot!

Today is DD and have been putting "X"'s in my journal for uber UD's to help get on track with them. I've traded in my eggbeaters for real eggs on all days so now I use real egg whites (way less calories) instead of the eggbeaters. I find I get more food that way. So far, am down 16 pounds since September; a little slow but it's in the right direction! Only 10 more to go and I'm a happy camper!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gosh Grammy--that is wonderful work!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #150
Senior LCF member

Thanks for all your good wishes! This is probably my last post before I leave.

I'm always torn about traveling because my cat gets upset (he has two wonderful sitters, one of whom sleeps in the house, so he's well take care of).

But this morning when I went to the pool at 6 am, it was 23F and felt like about 2F with the wind. So I'm really looking forward to a little warm weather in the next 2 weeks!

I plan to follow Ouis's advise to 'be in the moment' as much as possible.

I and appreciate you all! Happy JUDD-ing!