Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Hi everyone! boy, I must say I am so glad to be back to the board. Out of desperation I pm'd Mammapo and I just have to say a public THANK YOU to her because she really helped me understand what was going on and helped me realize I might not be eating enough, so today is a new day and it's a dd for me. I'll be following her advice regarding calorie level and am feeling much more hopeful. My all or nothing tendencies kick in so easily and I think that's what happened with my calorie levels. I'm starting fresh...with a couple of pounds to re-lose but it will be back off quickly. I am also giving myself the daily peptalks and it does help me so much. I am also realizing that I need to do some soul searching as to why I seem to sabatoge myself every time I get near goal. Watching Biggest Loser this season and following their emotional issues has me doing some thinking. I need to get to the bottom of my emotional issues, whatever they are, and figure out what will keep me in this for the long haul. Thank you all for being here!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
Hi everyone! boy, I must say I am so glad to be back to the board. Out of desperation I pm'd Mammapo and I just have to say a public THANK YOU to her because she really helped me understand what was going on and helped me realize I might not be eating enough, so today is a new day and it's a dd for me. I'll be following her advice regarding calorie level and am feeling much more hopeful. My all or nothing tendencies kick in so easily and I think that's what happened with my calorie levels. I'm starting fresh...with a couple of pounds to re-lose but it will be back off quickly. I am also giving myself the daily peptalks and it does help me so much. I am also realizing that I need to do some soul searching as to why I seem to sabatoge myself every time I get near goal. Watching Biggest Loser this season and following their emotional issues has me doing some thinking. I need to get to the bottom of my emotional issues, whatever they are, and figure out what will keep me in this for the long haul. Thank you all for being here!
YAY Leisa! WELCOME BACK!!! You can do it.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #33
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Finishing up a DD [sigh], and you guys are right that it's easier when you're "out and about." As a retiree (with the instincts of a recluse), I'm home most of the time, but I've been volunteering for 4 hrs on Wednesdays, and I must admit that it makes the DD a lot easier to be occupied and away from home. [But I still like staying home and cocooning better].
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Leisa - Mammapo really helped me a few months ago as well. I had miscalculated my calories (put in weight loss and should have put in maintenance on Johnson's calculator). So I was eating an average of 900 calories a day if you can believe it! And I didn't have any weight to lose. Anyway, Mammapo helped me increase my cals without aby major bounce-ups in calories. I am now so happy as I can eat more and I am still at my happy weight! So glad she helped you too!

I take it you weren't eating enough on UD's?
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

okay, here's the plan....I'm going to follow Mammapos Tweaker suggestion where I alternate my normal UD's with WF or 20% calories on DD's and then two SUD's in a row so that I can keep my dd's on the same day each week. (M,W,F DD's, T, Th. UD and Sat and Sun, SUD's) I'm going to try this for awhile and see how it works. However, I've recently joined the gym and am LOVING my workouts. I really don't want to skip workouts just because it's a dd, so, I am going to see how it goes and if I need to go ahead and have my 20% calories after my workout I'll do that. Before when I did JUDDD, I had no problem working out on dd's so hopefully I'll find it to be true again. I know last week I had a failed dd after a workout, but the workout was in the morning...not my usual evening workout AND it was after a super up weekend. I will also be doing Fast 5 on dd's and possible my weekday UD's depending on dinner plans. I plan to do a light workout on dd's though. Not an all out blowout. Timing works well too, because I did a long workout yesterday so tonight will go light and only do half hour of elliptical and no weights tonight. Tomorrow on my UD, I'll do a bigger workout. Workouts are usually around 7pm or sometimes later, too, so by the time I get done and home, I can almost just go straight to bed.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mammapo
Stats: 184.4/168/140
Start Date: 1/9/ 2009. paused 2/2010. restart 10/30/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Nitenurse-

Just finishing a DD myself, and it was a good one (any one that I do <400 cal is what I consider 'good'). I get motivation by coming on here--even if I don't post, reading is helpful to me.

But you're doing the right thing with your 'motivational' talks to yourself because experts have said that the 'talk' we do with ourselves is either supportive or destructive of our goals, depending on what we say. I can understand that because if I want to eat when I shouldn't, I can literally talk myself into indulging--OR I can talk myself out of it.

That pound a week might not seem like much, but it adds up--as I know only too well. I was really down for a while last year because my loss was so slow, and yet now I'm at a weight that I never anticipated just because I stayed with the program. I think I'm becoming fanatic
(((hugs))) this is so true!

I've only lost an average of 1/2 pound a week, all along... but it's added up.
I'm down to 168 (!!!!!!!) from last year's start of 185

Quote:
Quote:
okay, here's the plan....I'm going to follow Mammapos Tweaker suggestion where I alternate my normal UD's with WF or 20% calories on DD's and then two SUD's in a row so that I can keep my dd's on the same day each week. (M,W,F DD's, T, Th. UD and Sat and Sun, SUD's) I'm going to try this for awhile and see how it works. However, I've recently joined the gym and am LOVING my workouts. I really don't want to skip workouts just because it's a dd, so, I am going to see how it goes and if I need to go ahead and have my 20% calories after my workout I'll do that. Before when I did JUDDD, I had no problem working out on dd's so hopefully I'll find it to be true again. I know last week I had a failed dd after a workout, but the workout was in the morning...not my usual evening workout AND it was after a super up weekend. I will also be doing Fast 5 on dd's and possible my weekday UD's depending on dinner plans. I plan to do a light workout on dd's though. Not an all out blowout. Timing works well too, because I did a long workout yesterday so tonight will go light and only do half hour of elliptical and no weights tonight. Tomorrow on my UD, I'll do a bigger workout. Workouts are usually around 7pm or sometimes later, too, so by the time I get done and home, I can almost just go straight to bed.
(((HUGS))))

You are too sweet.

And remember - if you're working out and finding yourself famished on UDs as well as DDs it's a sign that your workout is harder than I calculated. PM me and I'll suggest a revised calorie count for higher level of activity.

If you're working out more than 5 days per week you DEFINITELY need the upgrade.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

LBishop One other thought - remember that you need periods of rest at the gym in order to allow for recuperation and rebuilding of muscle. Overtraining will lead to decreasing results. As a former elite athlete I can tell you this from boths sides of experience.

Currently what I do (Power-of-Ten Workout) only requires one (you heard me right... ONE) day of really hard workout at the gym. I do two other days with light walking (2mph) but it's not necessary.. and I'm seeing more results than I ever saw in years of living in the gym.

Of course YMMV, and if it's an endorphin rush or a good break, or or or... you should do it.

But like you I tend to be all or nothing mentality, and it wasn't until I embraced UDs and DDs in exercise as well as eating that I really started to feel free AND saw my efforts rewarded.
mammapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

UDs and DDs in exercise

Just a note, guys - I started embracing this philosophy in working out and honestly I'm shocked. I've seen almost as much weight lost in a month than I saw in 10 months last year (I don't count the two months I went on maintenance).

I think the combo of JUDDD and cycling exercise is really something new and special, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it, or if I'm onto something.

I do a workout called Power-of-Ten, which essentially very gently pushes you to total muscle failure within 6-8 reps one 20/30 minute workout a week (or broken into two small workouts a week) with weights. It doesn't require any aerobic exercise and is very 'zen' - all of which appealed to me since my joints, bones, and muscles took a heavy beating in my youth and college years and because I literally have half a hamstring and half a quad from a cancer surgery over 7 years ago.

Being forced to go into total rest mode to allow my body to recover allowed me to really see the effects of cycling workout days instead of steady pounding.

Counter-intuitive, but true - this cycling seemed to really really work.

For me, this is similar to my 'Tweaker' schedule DDs (only DDs mean 'I'm feeling up' because I don't have to workout, lol) followed by UDs (because I do something), with a SUD workout - Which is also an 'up' day emotionally I know this is actually the only day of the whole week I have to workout to get results, and you literally get a whole body 'glow' similar to a runner's high or *ahem* other things *:blush:* after the workout is done.

I've tried to keep my SUD exercise on an UD or SUD eating day, so I have more energy and it gives me the ability to really feel free on a SUD to eat.

The days I do my light exercise (exerciseUDs) of 1.5-2 miles at 2-2.5mph, I usually schedule on my eatingUDs because it's easier to keep track & I feel 'justified in eating my full UD calories because I know I worked out as opposed to 'meaning to' the next day.

THen on my DDs I give myself a real vacay from any and everything - eating and working out - and use that time for personal reflection, painting my nails, doing my housework, - well basically anything that I don't usually get time to do.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Mammapo, wow, I so appreciate your insight. I went to the gym tonight and did 3 miles on the elliptical (35 minutes) No machine work as I did a lot of upper body yesterday. I didn't do a AWF. I had a cup of homemade chili before my workout (about an hour before). need to try to figure out the calories for that.

I would be ok with cutting back on workouts but it really is a stress reliever for me. I homeschool my girls and my husband is disabled and home all day most days so it's an outlet for me. I do take my 13 year old with me most of the time but it's still an outlet for me. So, while I will definitely cut back if I see I need to, I find that life gets in my way often enough and I might do 5 days one week, but then struggle to get 3 in the next, so I'm playing it by ear for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammapo View Post
LBishop One other thought - remember that you need periods of rest at the gym in order to allow for recuperation and rebuilding of muscle. Overtraining will lead to decreasing results. As a former elite athlete I can tell you this from boths sides of experience.

Currently what I do (Power-of-Ten Workout) only requires one (you heard me right... ONE) day of really hard workout at the gym. I do two other days with light walking (2mph) but it's not necessary.. and I'm seeing more results than I ever saw in years of living in the gym.

Of course YMMV, and if it's an endorphin rush or a good break, or or or... you should do it.

But like you I tend to be all or nothing mentality, and it wasn't until I embraced UDs and DDs in exercise as well as eating that I really started to feel free AND saw my efforts rewarded.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
UDs and DDs in exercise

Just a note, guys - I started embracing this philosophy in working out and honestly I'm shocked. I've seen almost as much weight lost in a month than I saw in 10 months last year (I don't count the two months I went on maintenance).

I think the combo of JUDDD and cycling exercise is really something new and special, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it, or if I'm onto something.

I do a workout called Power-of-Ten, which essentially very gently pushes you to total muscle failure within 6-8 reps one 20/30 minute workout a week (or broken into two small workouts a week) with weights. It doesn't require any aerobic exercise and is very 'zen' - all of which appealed to me since my joints, bones, and muscles took a heavy beating in my youth and college years and because I literally have half a hamstring and half a quad from a cancer surgery over 7 years ago.

Being forced to go into total rest mode to allow my body to recover allowed me to really see the effects of cycling workout days instead of steady pounding.

Counter-intuitive, but true - this cycling seemed to really really work.

For me, this is similar to my 'Tweaker' schedule DDs (only DDs mean 'I'm feeling up' because I don't have to workout, lol) followed by UDs (because I do something), with a SUD workout - Which is also an 'up' day emotionally I know this is actually the only day of the whole week I have to workout to get results, and you literally get a whole body 'glow' similar to a runner's high or *ahem* other things *:blush:* after the workout is done.

I've tried to keep my SUD exercise on an UD or SUD eating day, so I have more energy and it gives me the ability to really feel free on a SUD to eat.

The days I do my light exercise (exerciseUDs) of 1.5-2 miles at 2-2.5mph, I usually schedule on my eatingUDs because it's easier to keep track & I feel 'justified in eating my full UD calories because I know I worked out as opposed to 'meaning to' the next day.

THen on my DDs I give myself a real vacay from any and everything - eating and working out - and use that time for personal reflection, painting my nails, doing my housework, - well basically anything that I don't usually get time to do.
This is really fascinating to me and I think it sounds like you're onto something. I do understand the importance of rest days, but then you hear those who would say you have to do cardio 6 days a week, blah, blah, blah....it's all so confusing!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Dr. Al Sears' PACE Workout

is based on the same principle: the less, but more intense cardio you do, the less time you need to do it. He also emphasizes the importance of the recovery period as does Mammapo, who has given us a great example of how this works. He says that the recovery of the heart from having gone "full out" to rest, is where the heart strengthens. He claims that marathon runners have trained their bodies to have smaller, more efficient hearts and therefore not able to withstand a sudden, intense event like running from danger, or to a bus or something. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there if you guys want to check it out.
GrammyPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #42
Senior LCF member

Mammapo-

You might be interested in Mark Sisson's take on exercise in his Primal Blueprint (you can check it out on his website). I don't follow him closely because I'm limited to swimming (I, too, only exercise on UDs), but he argues against intensive training and rails against what he calls "chronic cardio," claiming that most exercise enthusiasts are working out in a way that's counter productive.

Leisa-

I fully understand that working out is an outlet for you, but I also recall (and possibly incorrectly) that you have some thyroid issues. I mention this because if you're hypo, you are really supposed to moderate your exercise so as not to stress the body too much. But for me, the sign of "too much" is that I am totally wiped out for the day (I swim early morning). Since you work out at night, you might not notice the effect as much, so I just wanted to convey a caution.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Mammapo-

You might be interested in Mark Sisson's take on exercise in his Primal Blueprint (you can check it out on his website). I don't follow him closely because I'm limited to swimming (I, too, only exercise on UDs), but he argues against intensive training and rails against what he calls "chronic cardio," claiming that most exercise enthusiasts are working out in a way that's counter productive.

Leisa-

I fully understand that working out is an outlet for you, but I also recall (and possibly incorrectly) that you have some thyroid issues. I mention this because if you're hypo, you are really supposed to moderate your exercise so as not to stress the body too much. But for me, the sign of "too much" is that I am totally wiped out for the day (I swim early morning). Since you work out at night, you might not notice the effect as much, so I just wanted to convey a caution.
Leo, you do remember correctly. I am hypo. I find that on dd's, I can't push myself beyond a easy workout and that I can't go as long. I did do two short sprints on the elliptical last night but they were probably less than a minute. hmmm...you all are giving me much food for thought.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #44
Senior LCF member

Leisa-
I don't know anyone these days (except the super-fanatics) who argues that 6x a week is optimum for cardio. Most of the experts I've read say that the benefits come from at least 3x a week at 35 min. minimum. And according to Mark Sisson, more is not better. You should check out his take on exercise at his Daily Apple website (most of the information in his Primal Blueprint is available on the website).

My understanding is that for hypos, although exercise is generally good, if a person does too strenuous a workout or too intense, it can be more harm than good. As I mentioned, my own barometer is how I feel the rest of the day. If I'm too wiped out to function, I know I've overdone it. But if you exercise at night and go to bed shortly thereafter, you may not have that same barometer.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Leisa-
I don't know anyone these days (except the super-fanatics) who argues that 6x a week is optimum for cardio. Most of the experts I've read say that the benefits come from at least 3x a week at 35 min. minimum. And according to Mark Sisson, more is not better. You should check out his take on exercise at his Daily Apple website (most of the information in his Primal Blueprint is available on the website).

My understanding is that for hypos, although exercise is generally good, if a person does too strenuous a workout or too intense, it can be more harm than good. As I mentioned, my own barometer is how I feel the rest of the day. If I'm too wiped out to function, I know I've overdone it. But if you exercise at night and go to bed shortly thereafter, you may not have that same barometer.
Leo, a couple of weeks ago, I worked out really hard about 3pm and came home, was SO exhausted that I ended up in bed by 8:30...would have been earlier if I didn't have a family to feed and such. I didn't think about the workouts being too taxing on my system though. It was right after that, that I hit that low that I didn't come out of till yesterday. so hmmmm.......I'll look at that website later today when I have time. thanks. I have been feeling like I need to start doing yoga daily but haven't done it yet. bought a video and did part of it twice and ran out of time both times.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Leisa-
I don't know anyone these days (except the super-fanatics) who argues that 6x a week is optimum for cardio. Most of the experts I've read say that the benefits come from at least 3x a week at 35 min. minimum.
Even in my running group which is organized through the Running Room they tell us NOT to run more than two days in a row or more than 4 times per week (so if I run Wed and Thurs I can't run Tues or Fri). I am in the 10 km clinic now and we still run no more than 4 times a week as do the marathoners and half marathoners. Also, I only run long distances once a week. The other 3 nights vary between 3 km - 6 km and hills (the equivalent of 3-4 km). So this seems to be consistent with what you read as well. Also, we run no more than 10 minutes before taking a one minute walk break. This is said to reduce risk of injury and general physical burnout.
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #47
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
You just reminded me that coffee is what makes DDs possible for me. If I can have my morning coffee (and I drink a lot of it!), then the day can't possibly be too bad.
Me too! If a DD evening is getting tough (that is the hardest time for me) I brew up a pot of decaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Panda is SO MUCH BETTER! Thanks for Asking.
I am not worried about her at home alone during the day and she is back on her food full force (and yes I'm overjoyed to see all her rabbitt poops LOL)
I am happy to hear your bunny friend is doing well.

Quote:
Ouis-

I answered you on the thyroid thread, but your low T3 is definitely why you are not losing well. The T3 controls weight loss--and gain, independent of anything we do.

I frequently share my experience. I was medicated on Levoxyl (T4) alone and doing fine for a few years. I was low carbing, and losing slowly but steadily. Then suddenly I experienced overwhelming fatigue, and my weight shot up 10 lbs in 2 weeks, although I was eating the same way as when I was losing.

I was frantic because I never thought about the thyroid because I was medicated. Fortunately, I had a regular blood test scheduled a week later, and my T3 was so low it didn't even make the lab ranges. My endo prescribed Cytomel, and what a dramatic change. Within 48 hrs. the fatigue just vanished.

Unfortunately, I had to lose those 10 lbs the regular way. I was hoping they would just melt off like the fatigue

You need to get some T3 soon.
Another "Me too." I have just recently started T3 (it has been 7-8 days or so) and it is a fairly low dose, but I have FINALLY started to see the scale move down for the first time in 8 months. The change in my fatigue and ability to get warm was almost instant when I took my first dose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
Even in my running group which is organized through the Running Room they tell us NOT to run more than two days in a row or more than 4 times per week (so if I run Wed and Thurs I can't run Tues or Fri). I am in the 10 km clinic now and we still run no more than 4 times a week as do the marathoners and half marathoners. Also, I only run long distances once a week. The other 3 nights vary between 3 km - 6 km and hills (the equivalent of 3-4 km). So this seems to be consistent with what you read as well. Also, we run no more than 10 minutes before taking a one minute walk break. This is said to reduce risk of injury and general physical burnout.
This is pretty much the way I run too. I was training for a half marathon when I really started to notice the fatigue from my thyroid (and I had a lot of other stuff going on too) so all I could manage to do was my long run on Saturdays and I still managed to do OK in the race.

My ideal training schedule, when everything is going well, seems to be two runs of 3-4 miles with stairs and hills, one speed workout at the track, and one long run per week.

I managed another DD yesterday and had a peek at the scale this morning. I am feeling cautiosly optimistic, but official weigh-in day isn't until Saturday.

UD today and I packed some yummy stuff for lunch that I won't mention here in deference to those on a DD.

Leo, retired English professor advice is needed. Is that the correct way to use deference? In deference of, in deference to????? Feel free to correct.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #48

Happy Thursday UD!

Um and happy DD to those of you on it...

DD-MD in between yesterday didn't pull off actuall DD. Scale pretty much stagnant. Whatev. I'll enjoy UD today and hit Friday DD full force.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #49
Senior LCF member

Gina-
You got it right--in deference to.

What's difficult about those pesky prepositions--is to "to" or "of" or "on"?--is that our usage in English is almost entirely idiomatic--i.e., there are no rules to follow, just common usage.

Kisha-
That's the spirit! Just move on and do the best you can each day.

If I go to bed any earlier on DDs [to avoid eating], I'm going to have to start wearing a mask to block out the sunlight
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #50

Quote:
Gina-
You got it right--in deference to.

What's difficult about those pesky prepositions--is to "to" or "of" or "on"?--is that our usage in English is almost entirely idiomatic--i.e., there are no rules to follow, just common usage.

Kisha-
That's the spirit! Just move on and do the best you can each day.

If I go to bed any earlier on DDs [to avoid eating], I'm going to have to start wearing a mask to block out the sunlight

Going to bed when the sun's still up? In WINTER? Well girl that IS EARLY!!! LOL. I actually am quite the fan of the satin sleep mask. Effective AND glamourous. All you need to complete the look is a pair of maribou fether kitten heel "slippers"
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #51
Senior LCF member

I was being facetious. It's dark when I go to bed on DDs, but my point was that I'm sometimes so desperate for the day to be over that I could be trying to sleep before the sun goes down. Fortunately, I haven't been that desperate yet--but one never knows

Today's UD I ate more than I'd planned because I felt hungry and added some (a lot) broccoli and a couple of shrimp (roasted in the oven!). Then it dawned on me that if I'd felt the same hunger on a DD, I'd ignore it, so perhaps I should do the same on my UD. I'm not talking about replicating the calorie level of a DD [horrors], but simply staying within the limits I've previously decided on for my UD.

DDs have taught me that 'hunger' can be deceptive and often not physical at all. I think I should apply that on UDs, too. Otherwise, I think my eating could easily escalate. For example, I find that when I feel stressed, it often manifests as hunger, and I'm eating before I realize that it's actually stress--which is what I think it was today.

Another lesson from JUDDD--I think.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Hello people! Very interesting discussion on excersize. I have read up on the power of ten workout but I would be worried about not doing cardio at all. I only ever lose fat well when I do cardio, which brings me to my results for the past week.

I am 1 pound down on the scale but with a very minimal change in body fat. I am 44.2% down from 44.3%, thankfully body muscle remained the same so the loss was all fat. To me that's as conclusive as anything that I need to increase activity without restricting calories too much in order to lose fat. I lose a larger percentage of fat when I do cardio than doing weights all week.

Thankfully, my replacement cross trainer arrived today and I have only just finished putting it together with my hubby. It took 3 hours!! I'm just glad I can get back to the straight and narrow tomorrow with a session of cardio and increase my dd calories to 1100 again!

I know that technically you are not supposed to do 2 down days in a row however since my down days are resonably generous I think I can get away with it. It's just that I like to weigh myself after having done 4 dd's so at the moment I weigh in every 8 days instead of weekly and its getting a bit annoying. I would rather weigh in on the same day each week hence I want to add an extra dd in the week. Will let you know how it goes . . .
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

DD today for me. I am snowed/iced in since yesterday afternoon and am not sure when we will get out. We live about 1/4 mile up a dirt road and then 8 miles from town, so when we have bad weather, it usually takes us some time to get out. We're prepared though, so hopefully no added stress today. My youngest daughter is still sick with a bad cold and cough so we're just kind of laying low this week anyway. Good UD yesterday but I could have shaved off a few calories (didn't HAVE to eat that Snickers bar!) I'm glad I put everything into ******. It helps me see what I ate and where I could have shaved some off. I will be doing my dd's as Fast 5 days so will be drinking lots of tea this today until this evening. Funny how you all find that coffee gets you through the dd's. I don't like coffee much without something to eat, so I stay away from it on dd's. but I love tea on dd's. I can have my flavored teas with nothing else in it and it still feels like a treat.

No exercise yesterday even though it was an UD. Was busy preparing for the bad weather and taking care of sick dd. Will not do any today either. My oldest dd wants to do yoga with me, so I MIGHT do that, but that would be all.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
DD today. Yesterday was supposed to be a DD but I went to my daughter's anniversary party for her website and fell facefirst into carbs. I am a little worried about the fact that twice in the last week I dd that--once planned and once unplanned--and I am thinking that there is a lurking and rebellious belief I have that I can eat carbs --maybe especially bad and naughty carbs, and let my DD's take care of that. That might even be acceptable if I didn't still have thirty pounds to lose--but I do.

Two challenging weekends ahead of me. Too active and busy of a social life--Very big fundraiser (that is ALL about desserts) tonight--but I am making my DD plan, I will eat some protein ahead of time, and I will take an Atkins shake with me to drink--the fat should help me get thru. Then we go to san jose for a big event and dinner on saturday and then a champagne brunch on sunday. Valentine's weekend, we are going to see some friends in Monterey. Argggh.

I so so so want to get this weight off, and I am getting so many comments about how much weight I have lost. I really don't want to spoil it now, and my subversive mind is working against me, I can feel it.

Just needed to post and TRY to be accountable. I expect that all the sugar I ate last night is going to make my DD hard. But I WILL hang in there.

thanks for listening my dear Juddd family

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is really fascinating to me and I think it sounds like you're onto something. I do understand the importance of rest days, but then you hear those who would say you have to do cardio 6 days a week, blah, blah, blah....it's all so confusing!
Well, I think it's a matter of preference. TO go back to food:

Some people say LC works for them
Some say "No, it's JUDDD and LC"
Others say, "No JUDDD alone will do it"

And then there's a whole contingency doig Pritikin or Raw Foods or Monoeating...

It's not that any of these *don't* work.... but some will work for some and some will work for others.

It's a matter of knowing your body.

FWIW, the science strictly backs this principle up:
To see real gains in fitness, you need to either exhaust your body completly in a workout in one good weight building workout, thus gaining core muscle (as opposed to what I call puffy muscle" like big bulky arms - this works your heart enough...

OR

You need to engage your heart aerobically, since your muscle mass isn't sufficient to do so.

Remember that exercise science evolves just like diet science.

Two decades ago people told us that LC would lead everyone to an early grave and LF was the way to go... until the science came out.

A decade ago people were finally accepting LC, but they were mocking JUDDD. LC seemed to have forgotten that fiber and low glycemic veggies 'are' important.

Now calorie cycling in all it's forms is popular, LC has found it's way back into holistic eating....

and there's solid scientific evidence charting all of the benefits.

Exercise is the same way.
Once upon a time there was no need for it - we all worked like dogs and died young.

As we became sedentary and new science had to start.... and it's been evolving ever since.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #56
Senior LCF member

Leisa-
I hope you all do well with the snow. Since I'm basically a hermit, I sometimes enjoy being 'snowed in' (as long as I know I have enough food in the house!). The prediction here is vague because the storm is supposed to stop just around this area (upstate NY), so we can get an inch or a foot--no idea until it arrives tonight.

I know what you mean about eating with coffee. I think it's because of the acid in coffee that our body tells us that we need food. But I find that if I have my 50 cal. eggwhites with my morning coffee, I can drink quite a few cups. I usually switch to green tea by 10 am and drink that for the rest of the day. Like you, I don't feel any need for food with tea.

Ouis-
The experience of some others with JUDDD is that it's very forgiving of carbs, so you might not have to worry too much--unless you're like me. I have a very low critical carb level--beyond 30g a day, and I have problems. It's basically an individual thing.

What keeps me from sugar and starch is the type2 diabetes in my family. I know that those carbs are poison to me, and I'm too old to eat recklessly. I also feel great eating my very simply diet of fish, meat, eggs, and veggies. My big indulgence is almond butter. I'm really fortunate not to have your social life. Although I recently discovered that no one really cares what I eat or don't eat.

That is, in the past, I felt that I had to eat at big, social occasions, but having done a few of those with my new WOE, I've seen that no one comments about how I pick at just the protein, never eat dessert, etc. I'm beginning to think that in the past I liked having 'events' scheduled as an excuse (subconscious) to eat off plan. This entire weight loss thing, I'm convinced, is 90% mental
Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135
WOE: was JUDDD *currently pregnant!*
Hope everyone is having a good morning!!

DD for me today, but I think Leo is right-it is 90% mental for weight loss. Sometimes, the DDs are easier because they are limited in choices and calories. On UDs, I am all over the place for eating (to be social, bored, it's there, etc). Trying to work on that. I use the daily plate website and also carry a small notebook in my purse to write everything down, maybe I should add what kind of mood I was in at the time.

At times, that all-over-the-place feeling carries over to the DD and it can be hard. Does anyone find eating one a day on the DDs help? Going to sleep early on the DD is an excellent tip. Thanks!
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, I think it's a matter of preference. TO go back to food:

Some people say LC works for them
Some say "No, it's JUDDD and LC"
Others say, "No JUDDD alone will do it"

And then there's a whole contingency doig Pritikin or Raw Foods or Monoeating...

It's not that any of these *don't* work.... but some will work for some and some will work for others.

It's a matter of knowing your body.

FWIW, the science strictly backs this principle up:
To see real gains in fitness, you need to either exhaust your body completly in a workout in one good weight building workout, thus gaining core muscle (as opposed to what I call puffy muscle" like big bulky arms - this works your heart enough...

OR

You need to engage your heart aerobically, since your muscle mass isn't sufficient to do so.

Remember that exercise science evolves just like diet science.

Two decades ago people told us that LC would lead everyone to an early grave and LF was the way to go... until the science came out.

A decade ago people were finally accepting LC, but they were mocking JUDDD. LC seemed to have forgotten that fiber and low glycemic veggies 'are' important.

Now calorie cycling in all it's forms is popular, LC has found it's way back into holistic eating....

and there's solid scientific evidence charting all of the benefits.

Exercise is the same way.
Once upon a time there was no need for it - we all worked like dogs and died young.

As we became sedentary and new science had to start.... and it's been evolving ever since.
Yes, I do totally agree that you can strengthen your heart with a good weight training program. It can get the heart pumping quite efficiently. and yes, you're right that science is ever discovering so it really is an individual thing. I think I lean toward the blow it out workouts because I like the feeling I get from a good hard workout. However, I really don't want to exhaust my thyroid so I'm going to proceed cautiously with my excercise and really listen to my body to hopefully avoid that. I'm focusing on getting several good dd's under my belt right now. I need to get my eating in check. Exercise is easy for me to do, but eating is my biggest issue. I will continue to exercise at a more moderate level until I know my eating is in check, then see how I feel from there.

Quote:
Leisa-
I hope you all do well with the snow. Since I'm basically a hermit, I sometimes enjoy being 'snowed in' (as long as I know I have enough food in the house!). The prediction here is vague because the storm is supposed to stop just around this area (upstate NY), so we can get an inch or a foot--no idea until it arrives tonight.

I know what you mean about eating with coffee. I think it's because of the acid in coffee that our body tells us that we need food. But I find that if I have my 50 cal. eggwhites with my morning coffee, I can drink quite a few cups. I usually switch to green tea by 10 am and drink that for the rest of the day. Like you, I don't feel any need for food with tea.

Hope you don't get too much snow, Leo. It's actually raining right now, but the temp is 32 degrees...strange, but very slushy right now.

I keep reading about all these omelettes and such and I think that's what I might have tonight. Sounds so yummy! ...for now, I need to not think about food. I do better if I wait till later in the day.
Ouis-
The experience of some others with JUDDD is that it's very forgiving of carbs, so you might not have to worry too much--unless you're like me. I have a very low critical carb level--beyond 30g a day, and I have problems. It's basically an individual thing.

What keeps me from sugar and starch is the type2 diabetes in my family. I know that those carbs are poison to me, and I'm too old to eat recklessly. I also feel great eating my very simply diet of fish, meat, eggs, and veggies. My big indulgence is almond butter. I'm really fortunate not to have your social life. Although I recently discovered that no one really cares what I eat or don't eat.

That is, in the past, I felt that I had to eat at big, social occasions, but having done a few of those with my new WOE, I've seen that no one comments about how I pick at just the protein, never eat dessert, etc. I'm beginning to think that in the past I liked having 'events' scheduled as an excuse (subconscious) to eat off plan. This entire weight loss thing, I'm convinced, is 90% mental
I need to take on your thinking in regards to my eating Leo, but have not learned to have that self control yet....working on it. I have a strong family history of diabetes and it should scare me into cutting out sugars and white stuff, but I am not there yet....I'm going to start trying to pay better attention. I tend to just not think about it. When I do, I get scared and want to cut back on sugar. I need to think about it more often.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Um and happy DD to those of you on it...

DD-MD in between yesterday didn't pull off actuall DD. Scale pretty much stagnant. Whatev. I'll enjoy UD today and hit Friday DD full force.
remember you've been off/low meds for a while -it's going to take time to get the train rolling again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami73 View Post
Hello people! Very interesting discussion on excersize. I have read up on the power of ten workout but I would be worried about not doing cardio at all. I only ever lose fat well when I do cardio, which brings me to my results for the past week.

I am 1 pound down on the scale but with a very minimal change in body fat. I am 44.2% down from 44.3%, thankfully body muscle remained the same so the loss was all fat. To me that's as conclusive as anything that I need to increase activity without restricting calories too much in order to lose fat. I lose a larger percentage of fat when I do cardio than doing weights all week.

Thankfully, my replacement cross trainer arrived today and I have only just finished putting it together with my hubby. It took 3 hours!! I'm just glad I can get back to the straight and narrow tomorrow with a session of cardio and increase my dd calories to 1100 again!

I know that technically you are not supposed to do 2 down days in a row however since my down days are resonably generous I think I can get away with it. It's just that I like to weigh myself after having done 4 dd's so at the moment I weigh in every 8 days instead of weekly and its getting a bit annoying. I would rather weigh in on the same day each week hence I want to add an extra dd in the week. Will let you know how it goes . . .
A few notes:

1) It's important to compare apples to apples with exercise.
You are finding that you get more fat loss from cardio than from regular weight sessions - something I don't doubt at all. but there are a few things to consider
  • Depending on your age, weights are essential, no matter the program, because after 30 you'll lose muscle mass, and less muscle means slower metabolism and more fat. So weights I'm hoping are still there somewhere
  • There's a world of difference between working out to toal muscle failure (true muscle failure) once a week, and even heavy lifting several times a week, in terms of cardiovascular health - I've been there and done that with both. You do get a cardio benefit from a tmf workout. You can't compare this to a traditional workout schedule, because traditional weight routines do NOT bring on total muscle failure and are nothing like a PoT style workout... hence no cardio benefit
  • There's a principle of diminishing returns. If it's working for you - AWESOME! If not, if you're at a point of stall, then switching the game dramatically might one day be an option. I can tell you from experience that PoT is as valid as a regular routine - so either are potential options.
  • Like JUDDD or LC or LF or Raw diets, YMMV so what works for me and for you may vary wildly. :-) Just to reaffirm, I'm not criticising your schedule

Okay enough about exercise.

Onto JUDDD
Two DDs in a row? I'm not cool with that - I've been here a long time. In fact I'm one of the old old-timers on the board. And I'm committed to helping you really win this race... so expect me to hold you accountable. I'm all for tweaks. But not for cheating.

Two DDs in a row? That's cheating...

NO, you may NOT do two DDs in a row. This will only derail and demotivate you, and it will NOT get you to where you need to go any faster over the next year. And it will NOT be sustainable throughout your lifetime.

NO NO NO

Two UDs in a row is fine.
A MD is fine

Two DDs is bad. And I'll tell you why: It's going to shut your body's metabolism down. Period. Don't. DO. IT.

I'm seriously asking the next set of questions, not asking them to challenge you. I'd love to hear your thoughts, so we can help guide you to make a way to meet your mental goals without sabotaging your physical goals:

You like to weigh every 4 dds. What's the reason for this?. Is it really worth derailing yourself for an artificial construct that you've placed on yourself?

You've set the arbitrary 4DD rule... What's wrong with sometimes doing it every 3DDs? or Once a week? What extra gain - or loss - in clarity affects this decision?

Why not weigh sometimes at day 6, sometimes at day 7?

Some of us weigh every morning after an UD, some of us weigh weekly, some of us weigh monthly... It's totally cool for you to do what works for you. But not if you're trying to cheat the system so you can weigh earlier than you've told yourself you're allowed to weigh.

Please hear this in the spirit of sisterhood it was intended.... Is your goal to get 'there' fast or to get 'there' and stay 'there' - thin, healthy, active....???

Slow and steady wins the race with weight loss.

Most of us have lived a life of quick-weight-loss encouragement followed by stalls, gains, and giving in.... and ending up heavier this decade than we were last.

If this has been your pattern, then it's time to take off the old mentality, that wasn't working, and put on a new mentality. I realized last year that my old mentality wsa stinkin thinkin and unsustainable, and I stopped cold. I decided to trust the system to work and not try to be 'extra righteous' by cutting more calories than suggested or doing extra dds or undercalculating needs to try to lose weight faster.

I came to peace with the fact that I would not, in fact, be a size 10 or even 12 before swimming season, let alone in a bikini bod... even though we were going on that exotic vacation. I allowed myself to feel good about what I WAS accomplishing, instead of stressing to try to get to an unrealistic or a perfectionistic goal.

I came to peace with the fact that doing the program correctly meant that I lost an average of 1/2 pound a month - that's right A MONTH - for the first ten months.

I came to peace with the fact that if I was going to enjoy my holidays, the wisest option was NOT to try to keep losing, nor was it to throw in the towel and fall off the wagon... but that it was to make the conscious decision to go into 'maintenance' mode... even though I wasn't at goal.

The result? THIS year, I'm 16 pounds lighter than I was last year. A full dress size. My knees hurt less. My back hurts less. I feel healthier, thinner, more attractive, and younger. This year I could claim a victory.

I've never had that before - lots of good intentions followed by feeling like a failure. Lots of not recognizing my disordered eating patterns for what they were. Lots of not dealing with emotional triggers....

My heart is for you to win against the weight. To learn to live outside of a lifelong dieting cycle. It may take longer than you'd like... but if you are willing to do it 'right' you're going to find, like myself, like LEO, like KISHA, like many other old-timers, that it's the better way to go.

Quote:
but I love tea on dd's. I can have my flavored teas with nothing else in it and it still feels like a treat.

Have a great day everyone!
Tea is my DD besty!

I find more and more similarities between us every time you post
Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Tea is my DD besty!

I find more and more similarities between us every time you post

having my tea now! I just remembered that I plan to have two UD's in a row for Saturday and Sunday, which at first made me think "yeah!" and then I started feeling bit of worry over what it would do to my weight, BUT I need to think long term, not what my weight will be on Monday, right???? so, I'll stick with my plan and I am going to try to cut back on sugars and simple carbs.