Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
January 2010 JUDDD/Alternate Day Diet Thread (We can do hard things....)

Getting Started

There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr JOhnsons website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnsons site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management

The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow. The book will detail useful techniques for down day hunger management.

Diet Stress

Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood

We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day

On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day

It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight

How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

Down Day Recipes

It is important to choose a shake which is personally tolerable and satisfying. There are a number on the market including Atkins Advantage, Slim Fast Optima, MetRx. For weight loss diet, it is highly advisable that for the first two weeks, you consume only shakes on the down day.

Delicious, easy, very low calorie recipes are available in the soon to be published book, The Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™.

What People On The Diet Have To Say
“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.
“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.
“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.
“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.
For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Happy New Years Everyone!

Let's make 2010 our year!

I am so excited about this diet. I feel (so far, and as difficult as these down days are) that this is the easiest diet I have ever been on. I can do anything for 1 day.

Well, I did what I wasn't suppose to, but kind of had to. Im in a beachbody.com 4 week turbo jam challenge that started today and had to weigh in this morning to post my stats . So....that means I had to weigh in after and UP day. And I was very apprehensive. Because yesterday wasn't just an UP, it was new years as we know, and it was an EXTREME UD . I won'd even go into details.

But.. got on the scale reluctantly and saw: 220

That's 3 pounds down since my official start on Monday.

Impressed.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Thanks for starting the new year, Sara
I am impressed with your 3# too
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

that is awesome!!!!!
I am looking forward to getting weight off. Tried this a while back but I was eating whatever I wanted and then not sticking to down days . THe keep is lowcarbing becuase I have craving sugar issues. I would like to try again with you guys if you don't mind. I only need to lose 10-15 pounds and would like to by April.
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Thanks for starting the Jan thread and congrats on the 3 #'s gone, Sara! I only weigh once every week or two now, but I used to weigh daily (a bad habit that I finally broke). What I found strange was that sometimes after an UD I would be down, and sometimes after a DD I'd be up. It wasn't the norm, but it happened more than once. So don't be too afraid of weighing after an UD if you have to, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Aim - welcome back! Hope the plan works for you!

Last edited by EmandM; 01-01-2010 at 09:45 AM..
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sara-

Thanks for starting the new thread. I wished everyone a happy 2010 this morning, and didn't even realize that we needed a new thread--I can be so dense.

Before I read EmandM's comment, I was going to assure you that you'd get a big whoosh when you weigh next after a DD because my experience with JUDDD is that there are really big bounces throughout my week, especially after an UD (like 3 lbs). But this might not be true for everyone, as EmandM mentioned. But your 3lbs is great anyway

Aim-
Welcome back! I do strict low carb with JUDDD, and I eat low carb mainly for health reasons. But I really don't think I could manage DDs if I ate carbs because they really stimulate my appetite. Several of us on this board do JUDDD as low carb, mainly because we were already low carbing before we discovered JUDDD, and this is our primary WOE.

I had a world-class sweet tooth, but since I've also given up ALL artificial sweeteners, I don't have any interest in sugar at all. That might work for you.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #7

Thanks Guys! I appreciate it...today will be an up-day. Tomorrow will be a down day for me...I will do three whey shakes on down days...I hope I can lose 10 pounds by April.Congrats on your loss, Leo EmandM, I noticed youa re 115...that is about my goal. Did JUDDING get you there or are you just maintaining. I cannot WAIT to be back in 120's! I am 145
Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wallaby
Stats: 153/136/120
WOE: alternate day
Start Date: 01/09
Happy New Year! I figured that making a point of coming back here would be the best way to start the decade out right!

my goals for the next several weeks are to get into a good JUDDD groove, take off the 7 lbs as fast as I can, and then tackle the remaining poundage.

I'm starting right now with a fast-five Up Day. I'm not planning to eat until dinner. So far so good.
wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbsalot
ii liike carbs alot. they made me gain the weight but i dont care i like them so much. lol!!!! can i do judddd 2? u guys r sooo inspiring. i want 2 loose that much weight but i dont wanna give up carbs.
ilikecarbsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecarbsalot View Post
ii liike carbs alot. they made me gain the weight but i dont care i like them so much. lol!!!! can i do judddd 2? u guys r sooo inspiring. i want 2 loose that much weight but i dont wanna give up carbs.

651171i085p8my3i.gif
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working View Post
that is awesome!!!!!
I am looking forward to getting weight off. Tried this a while back but I was eating whatever I wanted and then not sticking to down days . THe keep is lowcarbing becuase I have craving sugar issues. I would like to try again with you guys if you don't mind. I only need to lose 10-15 pounds and would like to by April.
1840287fudtftz67z.gif
Old 01-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby View Post
Happy New Year! I figured that making a point of coming back here would be the best way to start the decade out right!

my goals for the next several weeks are to get into a good JUDDD groove, take off the 7 lbs as fast as I can, and then tackle the remaining poundage.

I'm starting right now with a fast-five Up Day. I'm not planning to eat until dinner. So far so good.
1840287fudtftz67z.gif

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-01-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

No more AWF's for me! I have been off plan since Tuesday. My AWF was Monday.The fast itself went well, and Tuesday started off well, then boom! I don't know if it's physiological or psychological, but I experienced a dramatic desire to binge since late Tuesday. JUDDD works best for me when my DD's are 500 calories. Tomorrow I start all over again with a DD of 500 calories and no less.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caramel
Stats: 156.5/146.8/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 11/25/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working View Post
that is awesome!!!!!

And a Very Happy New Year to Everyone! Today is a kind of bummer for me cause it is a MD. Yesterdays DD was a bit high (680) but I am down to 147 this am so I'm headed back in the right direction, got up to 151 after Christmas and the days following. Tomorrow needs to be an MD too cause Sunday is Always an UD for me and Didn't want to do three UD in a row again and start this vicious cycle yet again. Does any have any suggestions? I know I don't lose on MD but I usually don't gain so after Mondays DD I should be on track again. Might Start next week with low carb UD and DD, cause I usually go overboard on the sweets and I just would like to control that,I have no will power over that but this is the only woe I've stuck to this long and with these results. Seems I lack will power but for my DD when I know I can't eat I don't eat, go figure, work for me. Anyway I know this was a bit long but just wanted to share.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
I only gained 1 lb after my "eat everything in sight" UD yesterday, to 139. I have no idea how much I ate because I didn't count anything. What fun!

Today's a DD, tomorrows an UD and Sunday will be a day of eating at maintenance so I can keep on a MWF schedule.

BTW, I refuse to eat commercial protein shakes and bars, because they are full of crap I don't eat. I'm doing fine with plain protein powder, a bit of Peanut Butter for fat, some frozen spinach for green veg and a GG bran cracker for fiber, with a basic vitamin & mineral pill.

Anyone else use alternatives to the Franken shakes?

Last edited by Blood Sugar 101; 01-01-2010 at 12:03 PM..
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
I only gained 1 lb after my "eat everything in sight" UD yesterday, to 139. I have no idea how much I ate because I didn't count anything. What fun!

Today's a DD, tomorrows an UD and Sunday will be a day of eating at maintenance so I can keep on a MWF schedule.

BTW, I refuse to eat commercial protein shakes and bars, because they are full of crap I don't eat. I'm doing fine with plain protein powder, a bit of Peanut Butter for fat, some frozen spinach for green veg and a GG bran cracker for fiber, with a basic vitamin & mineral pill.

Anyone else use alternatives to the Franken shakes?

Put all in the blender and blend

1 cup strawberries
1 cup Almond Breeze
1 cup crushed ice
NuStevia to taste
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
No more AWF's for me! I have been off plan since Tuesday. My AWF was Monday.The fast itself went well, and Tuesday started off well, then boom! I don't know if it's physiological or psychological, but I experienced a dramatic desire to binge since late Tuesday. JUDDD works best for me when my DD's are 500 calories. Tomorrow I start all over again with a DD of 500 calories and no less.
Though I have never tried an AWF, and I might eat these words in a month, but I think I have to stick to the 500 too. An AWF would kill me. I so meticulously plan my DD's, and eating is exciting..it keeps my mind occupied!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #18
Senior LCF member

Aim-

If you can manage with just shakes on DDs, you should do fine. I started with shakes (because they were recommended), but I soon moved on to real food because I find I need some "mouth action." Shakes left me hungry--although I realize in retrospect it was probably the AS in the shakes.

Redeemed-

I have had exactly the same experience. If I don't eat at all on a DD or just a few calories, I'm starved on the next UD and eat way too much. I now just try to keep my DDs at a consistent calorie level and resist the temptation to go lower.

Caramel-

If you can do DDs, you certainly don't lack for will power! You may be doing what I often did in the past when counting calories--rationalized including junk food because it was within my calorie limits. The problem is that the more sweets and carbs you eat by rationalizing, the effect is that eventually you're impelled by hunger to go over your calorie limits. You may not have the metabolic problems I do, but I couldn't do JUDDD unless I was eating low carb.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caramel
Stats: 156.5/146.8/135
Start Date: 11/25/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Aim-

If you can manage with just shakes on DDs, you should do fine. I started with shakes (because they were recommended), but I soon moved on to real food because I find I need some "mouth action." Shakes left me hungry--although I realize in retrospect it was probably the AS in the shakes.

Redeemed-

I have had exactly the same experience. If I don't eat at all on a DD or just a few calories, I'm starved on the next UD and eat way too much. I now just try to keep my DDs at a consistent calorie level and resist the temptation to go lower.

Caramel-

If you can do DDs, you certainly don't lack for will power! You may be doing what I often did in the past when counting calories--rationalized including junk food because it was within my calorie limits. The problem is that the more sweets and carbs you eat by rationalizing, the effect is that eventually you're impelled by hunger to go over your calorie limits. You may not have the metabolic problems I do, but I couldn't do JUDDD unless I was eating low carb.
Leo41 Exactly, even on UD I find myself hungry because,I believe I endulge in too many high calorie sweets. I belive with low carb I will be satisfied longer.
caramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
Senior LCF member

Jenny-

I started DDs on shakes because they were recommended, but 1) they weren't satisfying for me; 2) the only reason they're recommended is that
Dr. J believes that people overestimate their calories, and it's important to be at 500 or less for the first two weeks of DDs.

However, I'm a world-class calorie counter, so I wasn't worried about not having shakes. And to make sure, I never eat anything on a DD unless I'm totally sure of the calorie count--never estimate.

Before I gave up grains, I liked eating the GG bran crackers. I would smoosh up 100 cal of sardines onto a cracker for a satisfying DD 'meal.' My current staple is egg whites that I microwave into an omelet with a little chopped spinach for 60 cal (very satisfying with my morning coffee). I also get wild salmon in a 60 cal pouch, and mixed with mustard and hot sauce (mayo is too high in cal for a DD), it's quite good.

I have other things, but my point is that I focus totally on real food as much as I possibly can.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

This down day (so far- its 4:30 pm) has been ultra easy.

B- 1/2 cup yogurt and a grapefruit (100 calories)

L- Biggest loser protein drink (40 calories)

D- chicken and broccoli fettucine green giant steamer (260 calories)

Total : 400 calories

So...I still have plenty of room for some of my raw veggies later if I feel the need to nibble.

I was at walmart yesterday and in the frozen food isle looking at nutritional info of frozen entrees....and though high in sodium, pretty low cal. Now on my DD's I can look forward to a proper meal.

I also did my Turbo Jam today, my first workout of 20.

Good day all in all.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Sara - I have never been able to do an AWF. Not once! I just like eating, and can survive on 500 cal DD's whereas eating next to nothing just doesn't work for me. But some can do them and have been quite successful. Different strokes and all.

Aim - my story is a bit different than most. I will give you the shortened version of it. My mum died when I was 15. I had never had a weight problem and was quite thin but I ate through my grief and ended up gaining about 25 pounds in a short amount of time. At 18 I decided I didn't like that weight and basically starved myself and lost about 30 pounds in a very short amount of time. This began my years of dieting and eating through my emotions. I was never more than 15 pounds over my idea weight though, my struggle was more psychological and my relationship with food. So I would plan for my emotional eating, that is why I never gained that much. Anyway, JUDDD has completely freed me from my emotional eating and my weird psychological relationship with food. It has also kept me between 114-118 which is my happy range. I am also a runner and I run 5 km 3-4 times a week (increasing to a 10 km clinic that I am starting in January with the Running Room). I also do yoga twice a week and strength training when I can (squats and push-ups during commercials when I think of it, nothing formal yet). I started JUDDD Nov. 2008 as I was tired of jumping from one diet plan to the next (whatever was in the magazines at the time). I followed CAD for years, but found it very restrictive and feel it led to binges at times. Since following JUDDD I have not binged and I have learned that I can sit with my feelings instead of eating through them. I started by telling myself I can emotionally eat tomorrow (great advice from Mammapo, who hasn't been on here in awhile but is a wealth of info like our Leo) and it worked. By the time tomorrow got here the feelings were gone.

Leo - I meant to write before that my family went to a nutritionist last week. She is not the standard Food pyramid type, which is good. She is a hollistic nutritionist and a big fan of protein! Anyway, my husband wanted some info as he is about to embark on a huge lifestyle change (which includes quitting smoking)! Yay. She was talking about our natural circadian rhythm's referring to my children, who's biggest meal is always breakfast, and who eat like birds at night. I thought of you, and how you honour your body's natural need to eat in the morning. It makes sense. She says most people digest better (and in turn lose weight more effectively) if they eat most of their calories at breakfast and lunch, leaving a lighter dinner. I know this goes against the Fast-5 plans that people follow and i know those plans work for some, but I thought it was interesting considering your experiences on DD's (eating everything by 2 I believe is your norm)! Neat stuff!

Redeemed - the same thing would happen to me I am sure. I have tried AWF's. I even tried one today as I ate my weight in nanaimo bars last night (slight exaggeration, but only slight ) But by 2 I had to eat something. Had some scrambled egg and veg and right now I am sipping on some organic tomato soup (Amy's, which is so good and creamy). Will have a hard-boiled egg later if I get hungry but I think this is it for me, so including my coffee I'm at about 460 cals which suits me fine.

Caramel - I think Leo is on to something. If I overdo it on the sweets especially later at night (like last night) I wake up starving. That is my blood sugar out of whack! I love my sweets and I still eat them, but I definately notice the next day.

Jenny - Where do you buy plain protein powder? I don't like the processed stuff either. Do you have a certain brand you use? (not sure you can put that on here, but if you can, please do)! Do you combine all those ingredients into a smoothie (powder, peanut butter, spinach) or do you mix the powder with pb and put in on the crackers?
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Leo,

Those are some great ideas. I had a bunch of chopped up very low calorie salad veggies with apple cider vinegar tonight and a scoop of protein powder and lots of tea. I logged everything and came in at 415 calories for the day which works for me. I'm another champion calorie counter so I'm going to think up some other ideas. Though I think I will stick with the whey protein powder to make sure I get enough protein. I think some of my weight loss this past year is muscle not fat since I lost not eating hardly anything for 2 full weeks when I was sick (not in a row), so I don't want to lose any more.

EmandM,

I am currently using Designer protein Natural whey protein powder on Netrition.com (sponsor of this site) and have been alternating it with another brand I still have some of.

Designer Protein

The flavor is kind of yuk plain, so it benefits from adding something like peanut butter or if you use artificial sweeteners, one of the DaVinci sugar free syrups.

Last edited by Blood Sugar 101; 01-01-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #24

Aim - my story is a bit different than most. I will give you the shortened version of it. My mum died when I was 15. I had never had a weight problem and was quite thin but I ate through my grief and ended up gaining about 25 pounds in a short amount of time. At 18 I decided I didn't like that weight and basically starved myself and lost about 30 pounds in a very short amount of time. This began my years of dieting and eating through my emotions. I was never more than 15 pounds over my idea weight though, my struggle was more psychological and my relationship with food. So I would plan for my emotional eating, that is why I never gained that much. Anyway, JUDDD has completely freed me from my emotional eating and my weird psychological relationship with food. It has also kept me between 114-118 which is my happy range. I am also a runner and I run 5 km 3-4 times a week (increasing to a 10 km clinic that I am starting in January with the Running Room). I also do yoga twice a week and strength training when I can (squats and push-ups during commercials when I think of it, nothing formal yet). I started JUDDD Nov. 2008 as I was tired of jumping from one diet plan to the next (whatever was in the magazines at the time). I followed CAD for years, but found it very restrictive and feel it led to binges at times. Since following JUDDD I have not binged and I have learned that I can sit with my feelings instead of eating through them. I started by telling myself I can emotionally eat tomorrow (great advice from Mammapo, who hasn't been on here in awhile but is a wealth of info like our Leo) and it worked. By the time tomorrow got here the feelings were gone. thank you for sharing..your story is alot like mine. Except I have hypothryoid too
1/1/12-137
1/4/12-135
1/14/12-132
1/16/12-131
1/26/12-129!!!( have not been here in 5 years!)
2/2/12-127!!!
2/14/12-124.5!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #25
Senior LCF member

EmandM-

Thanks for that info about 'eating early.' Before JUDDD, I used to be afraid to eat too much early in the day for fear I'd be 'starving' at dinner time. But thanks to JUDDD, I've realized that I don't have to eat at night if I'm not hungry--what a revelation

I've used the plain protein powder that Jenny uses, too. I bought it when I gave up all artificial sweeteners. And, like Jenny, I discovered that I didn't have to make shakes with it but that I could mix it with foods (like peanut butter or eggs) for added protein. I need to get more because I think I can use more protein on my DDs.

I also want to try to make some homemade snack bars. I ordered some online (where a person can stipulate ingredients), and they were basically protein powder, almond butter, nuts, unsweetened cocoa, and cinnamon. Most people would not like them without sweeteners, but I'm determined to avoid all AS and sugars. In any case, they are very expensive, so I thought I'd try to make them myself. I thought I'd try adding egg white for more binding and protein, too. (I'll probably make a mess, but it should be edible
Old 01-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Yesterday was a tough DD, wound up with about 700 calories, so that is ok. Interesting that some are easier than others, I think it may have something to do with whether I am getting enough protein on both DD & UD. Plan, Plan, Plan ahead.
Also interesting that this is an UD and I'm not hungry yet. So no excuse for not planning the rest of the day.lol.
I use protein powders from Netrition. the sponsor of this site. The 2 I use are Optimum Nutrition (2carbs) also has a plain one, and VPX Zero Carb ( I like it best)-both are very tasty and have 29 gm protein, which seem to make things go better. there are a zillion shakes to choose from, but not being a body builder (trying to minimize the one I already built lol,) I go for the most protein and less carbs. Netrition really ships quickly and has a flat rate shipping regardless of the size of the order. I try to do as much computer shopping as I can because I am a long ways from shopping areas, and can't walk very far when I do get there.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

991684y96q2si0ct.gif DD here.

Will save my calories for an evening meal because we have church tonight, and I don't like sitting there hungry at church. I have had too many UD's and I'm craving protein - so scrambled eggs for supper. Will sip on the chicken broth w/ acv & hot sauce recipe Leo created. Tomorrow I start logging the foods I eat on my UD's. This helped during induction, and I need to start logging again.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Hi JUDDD peeps. I have been lurking on your board for a loooong time, and I have questions. The few times I have tried a down day, I just could NOT seem to get my calories below say 800, which discourages me from trying this--You all make it seem so effortless. I have read the sticky and been to the JUDDD site--but I am wondering how you make it through to dinner or whenever you eat the bulk of your calories. This plan really calls to me--but I wonder if I can really do it

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #29

my first DD in a while. I am having a cup of coffee and then 2 hard boiled eggs and 2 protein shakes. I think it all comes out to 400 cals.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Hi JUDDD peeps. I have been lurking on your board for a loooong time, and I have questions. The few times I have tried a down day, I just could NOT seem to get my calories below say 800, which discourages me from trying this--You all make it seem so effortless. I have read the sticky and been to the JUDDD site--but I am wondering how you make it through to dinner or whenever you eat the bulk of your calories. This plan really calls to me--but I wonder if I can really do it

Ouis
708718jtpif35jly.gif

If I eat the bulk of my calories during the early part of the day, there is no big dinner in the evening. The evening meal is my favorite, that is why I save my calories for then. Some here on the thread are morning eaters, and some like Seoulgrlsara seem to space out their meals evenly. It's totally individual. Whatever works best for you. As for the 800 calories. I say try it and see if you loose. I could be wrong, but I think Batlou used to give himself 800 calories, you might try PM'ing him.