Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
I didn't die, and I didn't fall off the wagon...

Hey everyone,

I know it's bad form to jump back in with an update before I read what's been happening with everyone, but I am going to do it this time. I'll try to read all the posts tonight and tomorrow and see all that I have missed.

The last post, about my very fun short trip to Atlanta was kind-of-cheerful-on-purpose....if that makes any sense. I knew that little getaway was probably my last chance to leave the home front for a while, and I did have a blast. And I was in serious denial about my father's situation (maybe not denial, but I sure didn't want to dwell on it...still don't). He doesn't mean to be impossible, and he can't help it...but...loss of balance, rapidly accelerating Alzheimer's, obsessive-compulsive disorder, incontinence, and his authoritarian, demanding, mean personality don't make for a good situation for anyone.

Aside from the obvious problems with my dad's care, we've been in a snowstorm/ice storm--power out a little, cable and internet out a lot. Lots of my neighbors were without power for days, some without water for weeks. And on top of those things, I have had a gnarly respiratory infection ever since Christmas: couldn't breathe, couldn't sleep. I have mostly vegged out with DVDs in whatever down time I have had.

That's it for my drama...I am going to post a separate post with stuff pertinent to LC and JUDDD.

you all.

--bill
"I read this book about how some scientists tried to get primates to paint. For 10 years they worked on it, and nothing happened. Then, one of the monkeys suddenly began to paint, and what it painted were the bars of its cage. So, in my writing, I believe I'm painting the bars of my cage so that I can get out. This is something you have to get done before you can meaningfully move on in any way."--Ferron
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
But I am loving JUDDD--so I guess it will be a slower path to goal--

Ouis
That is worth quoting and use it as a reminder. This is a plan you want to be able to follow for life (later in maintenance you can up your DD cals). You don't want to miss out on weekends away due to a diet. JUDDD is forgiving so you can have more than one UD in a row in these circumstances and do a DD when you can and get back to losing. I imagine myself at 90 and I never want to say "gee, you should have enjoyed that anniversary dinner rather than worry about your messed up DD." Leo and Sara have managed to gear social situations to UD's, or to miss out on something (I imagine, Sara, it wasn't something amazing, or you would have gone regardless of DD) to stick to plan. But if that doesn't work, go with the flow for a few days and accept a slower loss while living your life. Good luck at the dinner!

Jenny - sounds like you have it down pat. I am back to higher DD calories now that I've lost the holiday gain. So I am pretty much calorie cycling too, with my average daily calories around 1600-1800.

LBishop - nice to "see" you back! Good luck getting back on plan!

Snaggle - Weather really affects me too. Living in Canada can get ridiculously cold (minus 28 with the wind chill the other day, minus 19 Celsius without the wind. BRRRR)! I try to get outside everyday as even though it isn't sunny, the natural light lifts my moods (I even run in this crazy freezing weather, my husband thinks I am nuts and he is probably right)! If it's raining where you are though, that is a big bummer. Hope it clears up soon!

Sherrie, Redeemed and Leo - woo hoo! Congrats on the losses! KUTGW!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Bill - we were posting at the same time. So glad to hear from you and I am so sorry for your situation, with your respiratory problem and your dad. It's very kind of you to say that it isn't his fault. True, but it is still such a hard thing to have to watch. Do you have other family that can help out with your dad? I hope things start looking up.

Glad you didn't fall off the wagon and feel better soon!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #244
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ouis-

I'm glad you're liking JUDDD because it just may be the best plan for you, given your demanding social schedule (involving food!). Those DDs really seem to help. For example, I went to New Orleans for 4 days last April, a city which is, I'm sure you know, an eater's paradise.

I ate well for four consecutive UDs and returned up 2.5 lbs, BUT a week later (3 DDs), I had lost that weight plus my usual weekly pound (3.5 total). Others have found the same thing happens. JUDDD seems to be very 'forgiving.'

In comparison, when I was doing just standard low carb, I would always gain on vacation and not be able to drop any of the weight for months; it was extremely frustrating.

Bill-

Happy to see you back; you were missed! So sorry that you've been ill, and I hope you're better soon.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Aspartame, alternation, CCL, etc...

Hey again everyone,

I meant to post this way back in December, but the Christmas train rolled through my calendar (not that that's a bad thing) and life also kept getting in the way...but now: aspartame is the devil.

Around October, I was in the JUDDD groove, doing well with the alternation, etc. I decided since I was missing fruit so much, since I was doing so well restricting calories (and I don't even really know why)...I would start having treats. Not treats in the conventional sense of the word, but treats for me: Diet Root Beer, Diet Orange Cream Sodas, sugar-free Jello. I was having up to 3 diet sodas a day and a whole package (4 servings? I think?) of SF Jello on down days--oh, and sometimes Crystal Light, though I had mainly given that up--addictive. At various times of my life, I have consumed lots of both of these things, never really thinking much about it, except that I knew (intellectually) that aspartame was bad. This time, however, I was diligently (not obsessively) tracking on ****** (thank you Kisha, for inspiring me to do this...you might have saved my life) and also diligently tracking my blood glucose (diagnosed Type 2 in July, for new folks here who might not know my whole drama). I had noticed my BG readings inching up, from fasting numbers in the 80s and 90s to fasting numbers in the 110s. I've had these fluctuations (trends, mostly) ever since I started tracking my BG, however, this time the only change I had made was the addition of the diet sodas and sugar-free Jello to my diet. The effect of adding these things to my diet was not immediate....and I suppose I kept upping the amounts I was consuming. And when I eliminated all aspartame, the effect was not immediate--but within 3 days, my numbers were back down to where I had gotten them. I did replace those sodas with water, plain filtered tap water...and I feel better than ever. I would encourage everyone to give up aspartame, especially anyone who feels like they can't live without it. I would have never believed I could be soda free--it was my "guilt-free" treat. Even if it was poison to my body.

After Christmas, I started alternate day fasting. I mean, water-only fasts. I did it once just to try. And again. And again. On my down days, if I ever become ravenously hungry, I might choose to have something, but that hasn't happened yet. To me, this feels like the natural progression of my re-learning to eat...or actually learning to eat properly for the first time.

I have stopped eating breakfast. It was never a meal that I wanted or felt that I needed, but I did buy into the arguments for having breakfast. One morning, after a good down day, I still wasn't hungry at breakfast time, so I decided to skip it. It felt good, so I skipped it again the next day, etc. If I am traveling and want to have breakfast, I might, or if I wake up feeling that I need to eat, I will. But I am not going to make myself eat a meal when I don't feel like eating it. To me, this feels like a natural progression of learning to not eat when I am not hungry.

I am bored with food. I am neither bragging nor complaining--although I do think this is a healthy development for me. I don't look forward to eating (except on a rare occasion that I am going to some special restaurant) and I don't eat for entertainment or boredom any more. (This is a huge accomplishment for me).

Since finding JUDDD, I have cut my average daily calorie intake from 3500+ to about 1150 (averaged over the last 2 months for both those numbers). I am not sure that the weight loss I have tracked reflects the amount that the online calculators say I should have lost at my size and calorie consumption, but I think the progress has been good (I need to weigh in, but I don't think I will see the doc again until March or so). I lost somewhere around 130 pounds during the last 9 months of 2009, and I very much have this group to thank. It's a little daunting that I still need to lose 100-150 pounds, but I am not thinking about that too much. I am trying to follow Leo's lead and steadily make progress.

There's a little fun part here...I have shrunk enough that most of my clothes no longer fit. I mean, I am still wearing the older things, and it's not like they are falling off of me, yet. However, I have gone from 4x to 1x in pants/shorts and 4x to 2x in most shirts. So...I had some money from family for Christmas...I found a great coupon for Kingsize direct (20% off and free shipping). So (shopping exclusively from the clearance section) I got a new wardrobe. I shopped smart: I got 2 sport coats (one linen, one wool), 2 sweater jackets, 25 (!!!) shirts (polos, rugbys, button-downs, casual button-ups, one really tacky Hawaiian shirt that I will love to wear to concerts), 4 pairs of trousers, 8 pairs of shorts and 2 belts. 47 items...very mix-and-match-able (I chose mostly things that would work together) and I spent just under $400 (no shipping, no tax). Now...$400 is a tremendous amount for me to spend on clothes (or anything, really), since almost everything I wear came from the clearance rack at Kmart...but I am happy with my shopping, and I am looking forward to having nicer things to wear. It's been a long time.

That's my news. Now I am off to the top of the list to see what everyone else has been doing.

--bill
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Bill - that is absolutely amazing! From the aspartame revelation, to the water-fasts, to your detachment from food (which is a great thing) to your clothes not fitting. Fantastic! Congratulations!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Bill, I really enjoyed reading your update and your thoughts. Sorry to hear you have not been well and all while going through the issues with your dad. I'm facing some "aging parent" issues now too and so know how hard it is. I followed JUDDD and Fast 5 earlier this year and then purposely (stupidly, maybe) went off of both to follow a thyroid protocol because I was worried I would mess with my metabolism too much. I'm just now coming back, having gained all my weight back and then some but already realized just how much I learned about eating with this woe. It takes the obsession away and allows me to do so many more things with my time. I also have more energy eating this way and look forward to the weight loss! It's good to be back and good to be reading some thought provoking post from you all!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Hi Bill--I feel as if I know you and all the others on this board because I have gone back and read the last 4 month's worth of posts--I am so sorry about your father--I am a neuropsychologist and often work with demented patients and I think it is profoundly difficult for families--particularly as alzheimers can exacerbate underlying tendencies towards aggression and hostility.

Your description of your work with AS and WF's is fascinating.

EmandM and Leo--thanks for the comments on my posts--I am continually struck by how thoughtful and insightful this board is. There are not so many like this--

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #249
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Bill-

Great progress both with weight loss and your insights
You're going to feel like a 'new man' in those smaller-sized clothes.

I've found JUDDD to be especially helpful in helping me understand my food issues and highlighting problems.

Like you, I drank diet soda for years, especially when I was still working. It was my "guilt-free treat" and (I thought) helped satisfy my sweet tooth. It was my DDs that showed me that my body reacts to ALL artificial sweeteners the same as real sugar, and I have felt so much better since I gave them all up some months ago.

In addition, I realized that using artificial sweeteners (as in diet soda) was just keeping my sweet tooth alive. Since I no longer have anything sweet, I find I don't crave sweets at all any more. I can easily pass up dessert temptations because they're no longer tempting for me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Let's try a MD today

Yesterday was over the top UD even though I had written a menu....why? one of my sons called to say he and his wife were splitting up! they have two little ones. That sent me looking for chocolate - my knee jerk response! and so it was "looking for love in all the wrong places" with food. At the 3rd phone call from him around 8pm (they live in PA), all was good and they were OK.....until the next time I guess - who knows? and then we do it all over again????? I need to get over this habit of seeking sugar foods or chocolate when I get anxious or otherwise emotionally stressed. This craving just comes over me and I'm consumed with all the force of a heat-seeking missile looking for chocolate!

OK, but I did cook up some cabbage soup for DD's, and a low carb chicken stew for UD's and some righteous chili to boot (my DH bought me a triple crock pot which I LOVE!). Seoulgirl, maybe you have a case of the munchies because your DD menu included too many carbs. Carbs make me ravenous (as does sugar and chocolate; in fact, my weight is up 2 lbs. this morning from yesterday!). So today, I will experiment with a MD of 900 calories and lots of water! Back on track tomorrow with a DD.
GrammyPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Bill, I just now read page 9 after jumping the gun and posting so Welcome Back! and thanks for the great post! Congratulations on the water fasts and appetite control - that's awesome! buy clothes in smaller sizes is defintely FUN! KUTGW!!! Leo, one of these days I hope I can be like you and also give up sugar....but all things in due time.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Bill....welcome back! I think I was probably lurking through most of your JUDDING last year, but followed your progress with much interest. Congratulations on your huge loss and the wisdom you've gained from this WOE. Wow...a new man with a new wardrobe!! Bless you for caring for your father also...Alzheimer's is a cruel disease and sounds even more compounded by your dad's personality to begin with. You truly are inspirational to be succeeding like you are through all of this stress.

Grammy Pat...my heart goes out to you. It's so difficult seeing your kids struggle with their relationships (especially when there are little ones involved)...I'm afraid my son and his wife may be going down the same path. You just feel so helpless and for us emotional eaters, a real challenge. Guess we have to remember that we can't be a help to them if we don't take care of ourselves first. Praying all will turn out well for your family.

UD for me yesterday and all in all I don't think it went too badly. I wasn't stuffing my face cause I couldn't eat today and enjoyed a "normal" portion of eveything with no guilt involved. Had a wonderful evening with a group of friends I don't get to see too often and my sauce was a hit as usual.

Decided to do a DD today, as no social events planned...just football and "undecorating" the house. I definitely need to stay away from sugar this week and get these cravings under control...I keep saying that, but not doing anything about it. Bill...you've inspired me!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
My DD yesterday was good, after a disaster the day before. So the 5# I gained is gone. Grammy Pat-I remember people saying, don't eat when you are angry, I think it's also when you are sad, joyful, worried, any intense feeling, because I make bad decisions. Friday was an up day, but I was chairing a meeting, and everything I had so carefully prepared was going wrong, somebody brought some sugar cr....., so of course, I ate it. And then I came home and ate some more. Really brought home to me that I should not eat anything unless I am feeling serene and peaceful. I just can't make the right decisions then. My son and his wife are in kind of a rough patch right now, too, so I am going to have to be more aware when I have been around them. Thanks for reminding me.
Bill you have done so well, amazing! Actually, everyone on this site is amazing!
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post

OK, but I did cook up some cabbage soup for DD's, and a low carb chicken stew for UD's and some righteous chili to boot (my DH bought me a triple crock pot which I LOVE!). Seoulgirl, maybe you have a case of the munchies because your DD menu included too many carbs. Carbs make me ravenous (as does sugar and chocolate; in fact, my weight is up 2 lbs. this morning from yesterday!). So today, I will experiment with a MD of 900 calories and lots of water! Back on track tomorrow with a DD.
Thanks, I was thinking this. As much as I didn't really want to do low carb...I think it is best, especially on DD's. I have a conference this week, and then when I get back I will finish off week 3, see how it goes, and if its as discouraging as this week, then I'm going to start watching my carbs.

215.8 this morning, after a down day. Its been 6 days since my last weigh in and I am up 1.8 pounds. Not to mention I am doing (faithfully) an advanced Turbo Jam rotation. I thought for sure Id be in the 2 pound loss per week category.
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #255
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Congrats on the weight loss for all who've updated!

Bill - Thanks for mentioning the aspartame thing, I guess I really needed to hear it. It was not allowed in my previous WOE because aparently it stops weight loss? Not sure how true this is but I I'd rather not take it when there are other sweeteners available. I do miss my coke zero though!

You know, sometimes I think I may as well stick to regular sugar. It seems every sweetener or sugar alternative has health risks associated with them. Even stevia which is supposedly safe isn't approved by the FDA for human consumption in the UK. You can still buy it but the companies make it a point to mention this (I guess for legal reasons), it makes it a bit worrying to buy not to mention the cost involved in shipping the stuff because you cant get it in stores. The worst thing is that I didnt like how it tasted so it went to waste!

I'm not the kind who can go without sweet tea or coffee so I use splenda on the down days to save on calories but fruit sugar or regular sugar on the up days. I I was to listen to everyone I wouldn't have any carbs, protein or fats! LOL
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
593568p887g2dyd0.gif

Good morning everyone! DD here. Will have a bowl of hot cereal around 5PM and a little fruit. I slept in until 9:30 a.m., so that helps a little.

Bill You have done so well. You have achieved so much this past several months: weight loss, insights, friendship with your JUDDD buddies. My first job as a nurse was a night routine in a nursing home with 19 Alzheimer residents. There were many challenges, and also many precious moments that stay in my memory to this day. Glad you're back. I enjoy your posts.

nitenurse Congratulations on getting those 5 pounds off.

GrammyPat Enjoy your medium day. Your awarness into your tendency towoards emotional eating is a strong tool to help you win the battle of weight.

Leo What can I say...You rule!!!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-10-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Bill, it is so good to see you back. It sounds like you are really in a juddd groove and it
is working well for you. Interesting about the aspartame. I know Cleochatra from here at LCF has had many issues with it and preaches about it's horrors.
I try and have as little as possible although I do have a splenda sweetened soda a few times a week. I do believe that any a.s. will give a similar response as the real thing to blood sugars. I don't have any issues with them, but should try and be more aware.

I feel so bad about your dad. My mom is in late stage alzheimers and is in a memory care facility that is very nice. I see her several times a week. She is in a good phase right now and is happy and very sweet.She brings immense joy to my life. I was never able to have kids and it is almost like she fills that void. There are many patients where she is that are quite tormented and some pretty sick ones who are going down hill fast. It is a terrible disease and in the nearly 3 years she has been there, (she has had alzheimers for 12-15 years) I have seen so many folks and each one responds and develops the disease differently. We are lucky that when my dad died two years ago, he had set aside enough money to keep her there. If I had her here, my life would be very different. I really admire you for hanging in there.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
She brings immense joy to my life. I was never able to have kids and it is almost like she fills that void.
This is the nicest thing I've read in a long time. Made me cry in fact. I struggled with infertility for years before having my twins, so I know what that is like. I lost my mum to cancer, so if not for my kids, I would have a much bigger void. to you for being an amazing daughter!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Bill My father died of lung and tongue cancer (heavy smoker). My sister is an RN also. She gave tirelessly of herself so my father could die in his own home, which is what he wanted. His memory was off because of the powerful pain meds he was on. He was 84 and grieved so for my mother who died two years prior. As sad as it was, my father's death was not nearly as devastating to me as losing my mother suddenly to an aortic aneuryism. I couldn't speak of it for over two years without crying. You still have your father. I know it's difficult, but cherish the time you have with him. I'll never get over my mother's death, perhaps because it was so unexpected and sudden. You have done so well with all this going in your life. You have much to offer others with the wisdom and strength you have gained.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
She brings immense joy to my life. I was never able to have kids and it is almost like she fills that void.
This statement touched my heart also, Snaggle. How wonderful, for both of you.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Emandm- that is sweet of you to say. The thing is, all my friends and family have kids and they are a big part of our life, but I know that if I had kids right now I wouldn't be able to be there as much for my mom. I am thankful that I get this time with her now and although I miss what she was, what she is now is pretty cool too. I have seriously considered moving her to a wonderful adult family home around the corner from me which would save me the 1 hr roundtrip it takes going to see her, but she is so happy where she is and is such a bright spot in an otherwise bleak place, that I would feel so bad to take her away.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

EmandM, I too struggled for many years with infertility before having my 3 daughters (10 years of it) and know that I am so blessed to have them in my life. I also was touched by snaggles words about her mom. It's great that you see the blessing in what I know was a tough thing to face, Snaggle. You're blessed!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Yummy DD recipe....

Very VERY Veggie Stew

PER SERVING (about 1 cup): 100 calories, 1g fat, 296mg sodium, 20g carbs, 6g fiber, 7g sugars, 4g protein -- POINTS® value 1*

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups fat-free vegetable broth
1 cup canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
One 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tomato, coarsely chopped
2 cups coarsely chopped zucchini
1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
1 cup cubed butternut squash
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. dried basil
1/3 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt, or more to taste
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)

Directions:
Place all the veggies and the garbanzo beans in your crock pot.

In a medium bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, garlic, olive oil, basil, cinnamon, salt, paprika, ginger, and sweetener. Mix well and pour evenly over the contents of the crock pot. Gently stir to allow the sauce to coat the veggies.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. (OR cover and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.) If you like, add additional salt to taste. Enjoy!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS

Tried this tonight and it was delicious! Very filling and felt like "comfort food" on a cold winter's night. I also added some chopped mushrooms to it and cooked it on high for 3 hours and it was done. I also added a few drops of hot sauce. I will definitely make this again. I had two cups for dinner and am very full. 450 calorie DD for me today!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
Very VERY Veggie Stew

Tried this tonight and it was delicious! Very filling and felt like "comfort food" on a cold winter's night. I also added some chopped mushrooms to it and cooked it on high for 3 hours and it was done. I also added a few drops of hot sauce. I will definitely make this again. I had two cups for dinner and am very full. 450 calorie DD for me today!
Fabulous! this is JUST what I needed. I'm so going to make this this week. It's been so cold and soup is just the right thing for these cold nights. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeld View Post
I'm suffering (the self-inflicted) consequences of eating too much sugar lately. It's either white knuckling it and feeling deprived or eating it and never getting enough. I can't stand either alternative I'll have to ask Cleochatra on the main board about The Mood Cure, because she seems to be conquering the cravings with the help of this book. Anyone here have experience with The Mood Cure? Sorry to be depressing and bringing up sugar yet again...
I used to be Sugar's B*tch. Seriously, Sugar (and her evil cousins, the Refined Carbohydrate Sisters) kept me on a short leash for about 30 years. They controlled my mood, my weight, my health and ruled my thoughts. Over the years, I banished them a couple of times, but they kept coming back, each time, getting their claws in deeper and deeper. In 2009, they nearly succeeded in their goal of killing me. Because I had been held captive for so long by Sugar and Her Evil Cousins, I had fallen victim to the Stockholm Syndrome, and actually thought that these captors were my friends. It made me sad to banish them from my life. But after they had been gone for a few weeks, I realized that I felt much better without them. The longer I am free of them, the better I feel and the more I notice that I am no longer being controlled by Sugar and her Evil Cousins. The temptation is always there...I imagine the same way it is for those addicted to alcohol, cigarettes or other things.

I encourage you to read The Mood Cure, or any other book that you think might help you. I have heard very good things about The Mood Cure. But above all, I encourage you to keep bringing up the problem whenever you feel it is bothering you. It sounds to me as if you are coming to grips with the reality (and seriousness) of the problem you have with sugar. I won't say it is easy to overcome this problem, but I will tell you that you can overcome it. I am not a strong person and I have been able to do it.

You will be in my thoughts as you deal with the issues of sugar, emotional eating and food addiction. JUDDD and this support group have been my keys to solving those problems. I am wishing you the same (and better) success than I have found myself.

We can all do hard things. If we couldn't, we wouldn't be here.

--bill

Last edited by BillB; 01-10-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
HOW do you guys do it? I can't fathom a 350 cal DD, I finished over 500 again--565. I do seem to "need" something sweet tasting like a dessert--so that is part of it--I had 60 cals for bfst and 60 for lunch and 50 midafternoon snack and dinner was salad with egg and tuna etc. then i "needed" some LC chocolate to finish. I know leo does no sweets--I don't know if i can do that. I seem to still need food rewards, even on a DD. Of course I worked out hard today, so my net was probably a whole lot less, and it remains to be seen how the whole weight loss thing is going, but I am routinely over on my DDs. Just venting i guess. I did make an appt to get my Hashimotos reviewed.
You can do it. It's totally about adjusting your habits over time. Just because it's harder right now, doesn't mean it won't get easier. I know this may sound patronizing, and I don't mean it that way. Try to listen to your body rather than listening to your mind. A year ago, I would have laughed out loud if someone had said that to me, but I totally have learned the difference. I had soooo many bad habits regarding food.

It will be a blessing to you if you can stop thinking of food in terms of anything but nutrition. As the world's biggest emotional eater, I can sympathize, and I understand the "food as reward" concept....it was pounded into me as a child, and I continued to follow the pattern with disastrous results. Reward yourself with other things. Or better still, think about food more like you think about putting gas in your car. The real reward will be in feeling better, losing fat and being healthier as you make the best choices about nutrition.

You'll be in my thoughts!

--bill
Old 01-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Aww Sherrie, Redeemed and Nitenurse

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words! Prayers are good too! My son called again today and there is more drama (so for me, it's more junk food!). My MD turned into another UD! Anyway, tomorrow I'm planning a DD and will save Sherrie's recipe for next weekend! It looks wonderful! Although the weight watchers cabbage soup I fixed (61 cals/cup) is really good with the vinegar and hot sauce w/sweetener. That is definitely part of my DD menu tomorrow! Have a good night everyone....I love you guys! Thanks for being here....
Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words! Prayers are good too! My son called again today and there is more drama (so for me, it's more junk food!). My MD turned into another UD! Anyway, tomorrow I'm planning a DD and will save Sherrie's recipe for next weekend! It looks wonderful! Although the weight watchers cabbage soup I fixed (61 cals/cup) is really good with the vinegar and hot sauce w/sweetener. That is definitely part of my DD menu tomorrow! Have a good night everyone....I love you guys! Thanks for being here....
GrammyPat, I'm really sorry for the drama with your son! Praying for you tonight!

I was wondering if you would be willing to share your recipe for the cabbage soup. I love cabbage beef soup so I'm sure I would love it!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Bill - I didn't know that you were a sugar-holic before. Very interesting that both you and Leo have conquered that addiction. I am like Fjeld and I am on the fence as well. I have cut out sugar in the past, for about 9 months at the most (and all white, processed carbs as well). When I did cave and eat something sweet it sent me on the mother of all binges. So for me, I guess I feel as though I need to give it up for life and I don't think that is realistic. Not sure I will say no to a piece of birthday cake for the next however many years. So if I can't say no forever and only give it up for a little bit I feel I am setting myself up again for the mother of all binges. Did that make sense to you all? lol Thoughts? Advice? I am going to check out the Mood Cure. I do find I am very sensitive and I get extremely agitated by loud noises (especially sudden ones, they totally freak me out). I read something about that in one of the reviews of her book on Amazon. If this book can help with that I am sold!

GrammyPat - sorry about the troubles with your son and his wife. Hopefully it's just a rough patch. My hubby and I went through one when our girls were about two. Kids are wonderful but they can also add a lot of stress in the marriage (differing opinions about discipline or ideas about how children should be raised for starters) and to top it off parents of young ones are usually pretty tired! We are great now, it was just a breakdown of communication that needed to be repaired.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
Bill - I didn't know that you were a sugar-holic before. Very interesting that both you and Leo have conquered that addiction. I am like Fjeld and I am on the fence as well. I have cut out sugar in the past, for about 9 months at the most (and all white, processed carbs as well). When I did cave and eat something sweet it sent me on the mother of all binges. So for me, I guess I feel as though I need to give it up for life and I don't think that is realistic. Not sure I will say no to a piece of birthday cake for the next however many years. So if I can't say no forever and only give it up for a little bit I feel I am setting myself up again for the mother of all binges. Did that make sense to you all? lol Thoughts? Advice? I am going to check out the Mood Cure. I do find I am very sensitive and I get extremely agitated by loud noises (especially sudden ones, they totally freak me out). I read something about that in one of the reviews of her book on Amazon. If this book can help with that I am sold!
I hope I can be helpful. I don't say "never". In fact, on Christmas, I did eat sugar/chocolate (3 Hershey's Nuggets with almonds). You know what? It was so sweet I didn't really even enjoy it. You know what though? It didn't take me out of ketosis. It didn't even slightly lighten the dark purple of the test strip. Amazing. More on that later. Before, I could polish off a pound of them. The texture of cakes and pastries, another story. But I don't say never about those either. I do find that the longer I do without those things, the less appeal they have to me. I am well acquainted with the another-mother-of-all-binges concept. I have done it too many times to count. And I have gone to bed with a box of donuts, a bag of candy and a bag of Doritos to self medicate so I could sleep (I was basically putting myself in a sugar coma nightly from 2007 until early 2009). There isn't an easy answer.

I am one of those people who was able to give up a multi-year (my 20s mostly) drinking habit (10 cocktails a day, most of the time--was a bartender through many of my college years and after) and can now enjoy a drink on occasion without any problems. I might have 3-4 drinks a year. Doubles usually, bourbon on the rocks. I am hoping to eventually reach that kind of relationship with some foods: cake, pastry.

The bottom line for you seems to be this: you understand that sugar might trigger a binge for you, and that seems to be the indicator that there's a problem. It's easy to say "just say no"--and there's so much guilt heaped on those of us who have unhealthy relationships with food (there's the assumption that we have no self-control and are less-than because of it). It's not easy to "just say no"--but "just saying no" may be the answer. Sometimes I visualize sugar (or refined carbs) as a person or an adversary--someone who is trying to hurt me (the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man, the giant one from Ghostbusters is a perfect visualization). I can be good and stubborn when I need to be. You can too. Practice.

I know that's a rambling mess, but I hope something in it can help you.

--bill

Last edited by BillB; 01-10-2010 at 06:52 PM..