Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Redeemed, thanks for the video...here's one that is a video of the team that went to the girls orphanage a month before we did (this is an ongoing effort of a local church) All of the girls you will see here are the ones we got to know.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Finished a good DD today...

Just checkin' in to say I had a really good UD yesterday at 1856 cals, and a good DD today under 500 cals! Congratulations Caramel on the weight loss - I LOVE this WOE!!! Redeemed, tomorrow is my weigh in day too! I'll be looking for your weight loss post tomorrow morning, OK? Sherrie, how are you doing Sweetie?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
wacky day--my second UD in a row (tomorrow is a DD) and I am hungry--not only hungry and picking at stuff, but craving carbs, which is weird for me. Not that I am eating them mind you. Maybe this is my body's reaction to losing weight, which it does so infrequently. It is also 3 days following a DD today and perhaps this is my 72 hour deal. I am at 1335 before dinner (995 net following my work out if you count like that). I am going out to dinner tonight and then to hear my kid lecture at the local synogogue (he is the director of a Jewish nonprofit). I will stick with protein and veg at dinner, but may add some fat for satisfaction. huuunnnnggry. just sayin

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Well, I knew today (DD#3) would be challenging as I had a funeral to go to out of town and then for a gathering after for lunch. I figured there would probably be cold cuts and salad and I could probably do okay. WELL...choice was pepperoni sheet pizzas and already made up sandwiches plus doughnuts!! I had a half of a turkey sandwich made on a small WW pita with roasted red pepper and some spinach. I had to estimate the calories and tried to do it on the high side and came out at 575 for the day. I think all things considered, I did well.

However....I find it so interesting how a break from what I would consider a clean DD (foods that I was sure of the calorie count) spurred my appetite. I was ravenous the rest of the day and really fighting the urge for carbs like crazy. Maybe it was the pita or maybe just worried about not having a perfect DD. Anyway, I made it through the day and gonna have a cup of chocolate hazlenut decaf now and go to bed early (before I give in to these cravings).

Haven't decided if I will get on the scale tomorrow morning or not....had originally said I wouldn't weigh until I had completed the two weeks of induction....will see how the spirit strikes me in the morning. I have had incredibly high UD's and don't want to get discouraged if I haven't lost as much as I feel I should this first week. The scale can really mess with my mind....can't believe I've stayed away from it all week.

Welcome to the newbies and those rejoining the group. Looking forward to an UD tomorrow as I'm hosting a party for about 12 friends...made my famous spaghetti sauce tonight and didn't even sample it. (I know it's good)

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #215
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ouis-

Someone on this board once wrote (Mammapo?) that hunger is your body's warnings that it's tapping into your fat stores. That idea, true or not, helps me deal with the hunger that occurs sometimes. It's really odd because I'll have DDs where I feel fine all day, and yesterday I was hungry all day! That's why I remind myself that the hunger might be a good sign--it helps me ignore it.

Sherrie-

Great job in NOT giving in at that funeral luncheon. I've noticed that 'outside' food (anything outside my kitchen), regardless of how carefully I watch the calories, tends to increase my hunger. I'm sure it's additives because I tend to be extremely sensitive to those things, but it's very frustrating. You were terrific not to cave under those circumstances.

Weekly Weigh In

Long explanation. I either lost 1 lb this week (my typical loss) or 4!
When I began JUDDD, I was taking a diuretic on a fairly regular basis (a few times a week) because I was retaining water. My endo said it wasn't my hypo but weakness in the leg veins (from age) that was causing me to retain fluid.

As I lost weight, I took the diuretic less and less often, but I always took it the day before I 'officially' weighed because I wanted an accurate reading from the week before (since I had been on the diuretic steadily for the first few months of JUDDD). It can make about a 3 lb difference in weight, and I wanted to make sure I was really losing. Taking the diuretic kept my numbers reliable in terms of whether or not I was losing, but I wanted to stop them completely except for occasions when I really felt the need.

OK--I weighed on 12/31 (a Thursday) after taking the diuretic, and was 197. Since Saturday is my 'official' weigh day, I decided that for the new year, I'd weigh again on 1/2 to see my weight without the diuretic--and I wasn't surprised that it was an even 200, since I'd typically retain 3 lbs of excess water.

This morning I weighed again without the diuretic and was 196! That's
4 lbs from last Saturday, what I usually lose in a month! It's possible that this is not a mirage because I've had very controlled UDs recently. As I posted previously, I find myself 'adding' calories to get to my 1400 because I've had no appetite (for perhaps the first time in my life).

It may be that my more 'primal' eating is finally kicking in and making a difference. Eliminating grains entirely may be what's helped. Throughout my weight loss journey, I had been eating a few bran crackers daily, but I began to believe that I was gluten sensitive, so I've cut out all grains. Perhaps that little bit of gluten daily was more of a problem than I realized--in terms of keeping my appetite strong.

Whatever the cause, I'm finally claiming 'onederland'--and for the first time in 36 years!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Sherrie, you're good!

to not sample your spaghetti sauce on a DD! - wow! that's great. I know I can't really do any cooking on my DD's because I sample too much in the process.

Well I DID weigh myself this morning; I'm 3 lbs. over where I started before Christmas! Bummer! Man, all I can say is I must've really packed on some weight. But I shouldn't expect a whole lot; I'm trying to get rid of a 12-day splurge that included only one DD, and I'm trying to do it in less than a week? So it's good for me to write this (sorry to bore you guys) because it helps me realize how unrealistic that expectation is Now today is an UD and normally I would eat like crazy because I'm disappointed by the scale. And I haven't even planned this day yet. I know I have to write it down to make it happen and I'll do that before I put one ounce of food in my mouth this morning. I need to fight the urge to splurge today.....
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Weigh-In

50622dq468u357k.gif.....Holiday weight gain off! One extra pound off!....

1401811yho44c9apr.gif 4 pounds off this week. Total 13 pounds off since starting JUDDD in November! 1401811yho44c9apr.gif

This was the week I did DD/UD alternation of everyother day a DD followed by a UD. I counted almost every calorie staying closely at 500/2000.

Leisa I loved that video. Beautiful children. Thank you for sharing.

GrammyPat I'm with you, I love this woe too! I'm going to scrap my plans of trying another calorie cycling program for now. As Leo says, "Don't fix what's not broke."

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-09-2010 at 04:11 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Leo 1525597ewyscssq7x.gif You're well into Wonderland now!

GrammyPat

Sherrie You've got will-power, gal! Speghetti sauce would probably do me in on a DD, especially homemade!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:48 AM   #219
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

Terrific--congratulations on your loss! I know how you've struggled with thyroid meds, etc., and you seem to be right on track now! I think for those of us with a compromised metabolism (and a history of overweight), it's impossible to 'eat freely' on UDs. We need to find the calorie range where we lost (as you have) and stick to it.

As I posted to Jenny once, I see my current UDs as the way I will eat to maintain, so I have no problem finding a number and sticking to it.

GrammyPat-

You're on track, but it will take a few more DDs to reverse a 12-day 'splurge.' The nice thing about JUDDD is that those DDs really work, so just have confidence--it will happen.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Leo....I'd say that's a definite 4lb loss from last Saturday and fly with it!! Either way it's in the right direction AGAIN for you in the New Year and as you said....you're a DEFINITE for Onederland!! You just keep being my inspiration this year...I want to be just like Leo when I grow up (and I'm a whole 5 years behind ).

Grammy Pat...."the urge to splurge"....I love it! Wouldn't it be just great if the pounds fell off as quickly as we attract them? Wishing you a controlled UD.

Redeemed...congratulations!! 4lb is great and to be back on the negative side for the New Year is a great start!! I love your animations.

Weekly Weigh-in....I debated about getting on the scale this morning but just HAD to. Redeemed and I are twins this week...managed to lose my 5lb I gained over the holidays plus one more....6lb loss since starting on Monday! I'm very pleased with that considering my two UD's this week were totally out of control. My mission for next week (if I choose to accept it) is getting those UD's down to 2200 or less. I have to look at my calendar for next week and figure out if I'm going to continue with a true alternation, making tomorrow another DD or do the MWF routine again. But for today, I'm going to enjoy my sauce tonight and the company of good friends...and try to focus on the friends part!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Sherri Six pounds! 1401811yho44c9apr.gif

1401811yho44c9apr.gif

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-09-2010 at 06:13 AM..
Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW Sherry, Redeemed, Leo! I am hanging out with you guys so I can benefit from your weight loss vibes! You should all be so proud of yourselves!

[B]Leo[B] I believe in your 4 lb loss, and you know this already, but don't be surprised if the scale doesn't budge for a week or so after a loss like that!

All you other JUDDDrs (grammy pat, Once, Kisah, etc)--I am sending you my best wishes for a great day--

I notice a theme here for the losers--that it requires an "in control" up day as well as down day, and that true alternation seems to work best. So far my up days are pretty under control, but I can't always truly alternate--we shall see. I am pretty happy with my 3 lbs lost in one week on JUDDD.

Today is a DD and it is Saturday which means I have my intense group training session. I have decided to put off eating and experiment with how I feel doing this with NO food. If I have to eat later I will. I also plan to stay present with how I feel later in the day. My goal is no more than 500 cals, but I will probably burn at least 500 cals this morning, so if I have to add a little I guess I will. It is all a grand experiment

One thing I notice about myself is "catastrophic" thinking: "Oh I have 9 patients today, how can I do a DD?" "Oh, I have an intense workout today, how can I do a DD"? We can do hard things, yes? I am noticing that this woe makes me examine my beliefs that I can not do hard things or my fear that hard things will impact my control, or that something external (a schedule, and event, or a workout) is going to undo something internal (my wish or desire to have a DD). Of course, I am sensible--Sunday we are going out to dinner in SF with friends, so my DD needs to be today--but I am really getting in touch with how AFRAID I am that this or that is going to overpower me. Rich material here.

Thanks for listening

Ouis
Old 01-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Quis you are so right on about the "catastrophic" thinking. I used to almost be in a panic when I thought about doing a 12 hour day shift or a 9 hour night shift on a DD. When I did these shifts on a DD, it wasn't that bad. I believe Leo just does DD's on MWF. You have lost three pounds, so you have done something right.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Redeemed, are you on facebook? If so, I've shared a video of my trip that I was inspired to go ahead and make last night....if you want to see it, add me...Leisa Hollingshead Bishop. : )
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis...I too can have anxiety attacks when I have a very scheduled day and it's a DD. I'm retired so it doesn't involve working a long shift or anything, but anything that takes me away from my comfort zone and into unknown territory will initiate it. Sometimes I just have anxiety over the thought of a DD at all!

I am a real control freak, so guess that's part of it all. I have to have my little insulated pack in the car with me with a protein shake and a couple string cheese just in case I get stuck somewhere.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
Redeemed, are you on facebook? If so, I've shared a video of my trip that I was inspired to go ahead and make last night....if you want to see it, add me...Leisa Hollingshead Bishop. : )
Okay. I was thinking it might be good to make an announcement that if anything ever happened to LCF (Lord forbid!) we could all meet up on Facebook (FB) so we could stay together as a group. Someone could start a JUDDD mtg. place there. Just a thought. Such wonderful support here, it would be sad to lose this group.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I'm with you Ouis, I wanna be hanging out with all these "losers"! I have found that sometimes the days I think will be the most challenging end up not being that bad and
some days when I am confident of an easy downday, I end up craving everything in sight. Good luck today.
Leo- again, what a week! It must be great to not need the diuretic anymore and to know that it isn't impacting your results either. I have a hunch that your body is finally accepting that it doesn't get to keep the weight on any more. Your fat cells have surrendered to your diligence!!
Redeemed- I am totally jealous that you have dropped your holiday weight- great job!!
Sherrie- congrats to you too! I do agree about the ups, but if you had a great week with with big ones, I wouldn't stress about it too much. I would concentrate more on just keeping the downs down.
Grammy Pat- hang in there, it should start dropping off soon.
I am right there with you hoping to get rid of these holiday pounds. I am having the TOM from hell and am up yet another lb even after 3 solid down days this week. I feel
like I am in the juddd doghouse with all these great losses!
I have no one to blame but myself though because I did not stick to my plan and do down days over the holidays.
I am also getting SO ANNOYED with the rain here. It has just been pouring nonstop for what seems like ages.
could I be more of a whiner??
All of you are my inspiration and support--- thanks for being here!

I miss Bill-- anyone "seen" him around the boards? I don't get out much.

Last edited by snaggle; 01-09-2010 at 09:12 AM..
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

whoa Redeemed--you are freaking me out! FB is a great idea, but why would something happen with LCF?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #229
Senior LCF member

Sherrie--SIX POUNDS!! This certainly should inspire you to stick with JUDDD and get ready for new knees! You're doing great.

Ouis--Yes, I don't expect another 'loss' for a week or so because my body seems to stay at the same 'rate' over time, and a bigger than usual loss is followed by stasis. But I never make time-specific goals in terms of weight loss. Like a good recovering addict, I just try to take it a day at a time.

I was interested in your 'catastrophic thinking' because I think it affects all of us in terms of DDs. Even though I've been doing this more than a year, it still surfaces with me. Last week, I was asked to cover the office for a volunteer organization I work with--just one day a week for four hours for someone who had to take a long leave. It happens to be a Wednesday--a DD for me. That morning, I found myself worrying over what I could take to eat there "in case" I was overwhelmed with hunger--until I stopped myself and realized that 4 hours without food is nothing on a DD, that I usually don't eat during those hours at home, etc.

OK--THIS week I have a meeting on Monday from 3-6 pm, and I started with the same thinking. Of course, I wouldn't be able to drive home deprived of food for that length of time; I'd be faint with hunger Our "food psychology" is really interesting.

And, by the way, as Redeemed mentioned, in all my time on JUDDD, I've done only M,W,F DDs (with the exception of holidays like Christmas when I've had to re-arrange). In fact, it took me about 6 months to get the hang of the 'medium' day, so I usually had consecutive UDs on Sat and Sun, and I still lost.

Snaggle--Give yourself a break! I'm way, way past TOM, but I know that I was always 5-7 lbs up during that week, and sometimes for a few days after. (It wasn't all water for me because the day before, I usually wanted to eat everything in the refrigerator, and often did!) Your depression about the weather is from the same source. So just do you best, be good to yourself, and you'll have some hormonal "sunshine" soon.

Last edited by Leo41; 01-09-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Sherrie and Redeemed congratulations!!!!!! WOW!

DD for me today, I HATE DD"s on my day's off. But, alas, I know I'll be fine, because I can have what I want tomorrow right?!! Love the WOE.

The scale isn't budging for me this week, but I shouldn't be hopping on it so much either. Way in morning isn't until Tuesday for me anyway so I have today and another DD left. Hopefully I'll see a loss this week. Fingers crossed. I think my big loss last week was attributed to yes christmas weight, but I had lost 14 pounds in the 2 week before christmas crash dieting, and gained 10 over christmas....fast gain. Fast gain = fast loss usually. So I fear , that maybe I won't yield the results I so hope for in this WOE. Though, I still cannot seem to get my UD under control....so I guess I need to work on that if I want the results.
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
whoa Redeemed--you are freaking me out! FB is a great idea, but why would something happen with LCF?
Any website can change for any number of reasons. LCF has been around for a long time and is gaining in popularity - most likely we're safe but if technical difficulties, etc arise it would be nice to have a meet up place. Just sayin that's all.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
I just wanted to check in and report that when I raised my calories on a DD to about 900, the whole obsessive hunger thing went away and I found myself not eating all that much the next day.

So for me, it looks like I can alternate but with much smaller oscillations. Whether that will have any impact on the metabolism is unknown, but it's nice to know that the hunger distortion cleared up immediately when I stopped dropping to 430 calories.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #233
Senior LCF member

Jenny-

You're in maintenance, and that's supposedly how maintenance works with JUDDD--i.e., raising DD calories to a level where you're no longer losing--most people say it's 800-900 calories. So I'll be really interested in how this works for you--for selfish reasons. Someday I hope to be maintaining, and it would be nice to know what to expect.

Sara-

You might be better off only weighing once a week. I experience more "bounces" with JUDDD than I did when I kept my calories level on standard low carb, and I even had 'phantom' gains during the week that were demoralizing.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

darnit. my DD is going to turn into an mod day and tomorrow too with no chance at a DD til Monday. Last minute dinner out with friends at a place where the food is rich--I haven't eaten yet today and won't til tonight, but the dinner tonight will be difficult to control. Same deal tomorrow. How do you guys handle these kind of situations? Like a monkeywrench thrown into your plans?
Old 01-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member

I make an excuse not to go out. Sounds bad but, I truly am (so far so good) living by the what I can't eat today I can tomorrow philosophy.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #236
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

You just have a better social life than I do

Like Sara, I sometimes refuse, but usually when friends invite me to lunch or dinner, I try to sway the choice to an UD. That's worked for me all year, except for once, and it was only lunch, and I was able to keep it a DD by eating carefully and having nothing else that day.

It helps that I keep my DDs to only M, W, F because I can adjust the weekend as needed. For example, if I go out to dinner on a Saturday, then Sunday becomes my MD--and vice versa.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I guess in one way, I'm not doing too well, because I haven't had a DD yesterday or today and I just started yesterday, lol! BUT, I DID do Fast 5 both days so had nothing until dinner both nights. I know that a DD is going to happen and maybe it will be tomorrow, but I know I've drastically cut my calories even though it has not been DD levels. I'll get there....soon!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #238
Senior LCF Member

6pm here on my 7th down day...

and I have used up all my calories it's going to be a LONG night.

I was so hungry today, hungrier than I have been since I started, and here I was thinking, 7th DD will be a breeze! Ya right!

Menu was:

1 egg on ww bun toasted: 190
greens with bal. vinegar : 60
Smart ones Turkey Dinner: 210

Total calories today: 460
Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jenny-

You're in maintenance, and that's supposedly how maintenance works with JUDDD--i.e., raising DD calories to a level where you're no longer losing--most people say it's 800-900 calories. So I'll be really interested in how this works for you--for selfish reasons. Someday I hope to be maintaining, and it would be nice to know what to expect.
I probably will just go back to regular old maintenance which is eating no more than 1600 calories a day ever, but not obsessing about counts, and doing that until I see a 3 lb weight gain on the scale.

I wish I had wonderful tips for maintenance but mostly it is just a matter of getting back on the diet when the weight creeps up, and for me, taking metformin. I've tried going without it, but the weight came roaring back when I did, even with the identical blood sugar control.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah--totally intense social life here--why do you think I am fat--lol--And much of it is professional and social, so not much luck switching days.

Today, I have fast fived it. Nothing to eat all day except broth and lettuce! An accomplishment in itself. Hopefully my appetite will be suppressed at dinner and I can make good choices--we are going to one of those small plate places where everyone shares. I guess I will try the same plan tomorrow--save my calories til dinner.

Next weekend we are heading to Newport Beach for a 4 day seminar--with lots of fancy dinners out. It becomes tempting to do a couple of DD's in a row when faced with that, but I won't do it! My life is always intense--lots of travel, lots of social stuff--and I have to learn to handle it one way or another--Between now and Valentines Day I have 3 weekend aways with groups of people. But I am loving JUDDD--so I guess it will be a slower path to goal--

Ouis