Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
Well, after a lot of thought, I've decided this isn't a healthy diet for me.

I am too hungry on the UDs and have been having a lot of trouble controlling my blood sugar because I'm eating too much. I'm almost 2 weeks in and figured it would get easier, but the last four days have been too hard and I feel like I am continuously hungry all the time, and that's not good. When I eat my usual regimen I'm very rarely hungry, which is what makes it sustainable.

So I'm going to experiment with a few other ideas--varying calories but not anywhere near so intensely. I feel that this was a good way to get through the holidays and I also appreciate what it taught me about how often I think about food, but my body is letting me know this isn't a good way of eating for someone with my blood sugar issues.

Best wishes for success to all the rest of you here.

--Jenny
Jenny - you have to do what works for you. You have given great info and advice, so pop in here even though you aren't following JUDDD and let us know how you are doing. Leo has written this before, but JUDDD is very extreme and most people are here because nothing else has worked and they have medical issues on top of being slower at weight loss (menopause, hypothyroid etc). What drew me to JUDDD is the maintenance plan of it (higher DD calories) so I am really just calorie cycling, but I love the support I get on this board. JUDDD also helped me a lot with my emotional eating as the DD's gave me information and awareness I didn't already have. Good luck and please, chime in here when you can!

Ouis - absolutely rely on us, that is what we are here for. I doubt anyone has their knickers in a knot from not receiving a personal response from you. It's great that we have this forum for help, and you will one day be helping a newbie as well!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Jenny- You will be missed. It is always so great to have someone with your knowledge and expertise contributing, so please chime in from time to time.
I think you have your stuff pretty figured out and know best what is working or not working. This is clearly not a plan for everyone.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Thanks for the kind words, ladies! I am a very firm believer that we have to try all kinds of things to find what works for us, and we are all very different so different things work. I'm glad for those of you here who do find it useful.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fjeld
I guess no one using # for lbs. is why I couldn't Google it. And I was trying to be so pounds savvy! Lbs. it is then. At least you're not using stones as well *relief* LOL.

Jenny, I always read your posts with interest, and I was actually going to ask what you thought about diets like Fast-5, JUDDD (intermittent fasting/calorie restriction). Every time I read something by you I always think that I should start measuring my after meal blood sugar levels, so why don't I?!

Slowly starting to learn each and everyone's user names
fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, ladies! I am a very firm believer that we have to try all kinds of things to find what works for us, and we are all very different so different things work. I'm glad for those of you here who do find it useful.

I agree. I refuse to accept the "another diet failure" mantra when a plan does not work for me. It will be a life-long journey, as my body changes, to plan and evaluate my woe of choice. Some plans work for a time, and then it's time make adjustments or move on.

Consider yourself a Friend of the JUDDD thread! We value your input!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeld View Post
Thanks Kisha and hurrah! on the DD. A great feeling, isn't it : )

By the way, are my stats making sense? I decided to come clean I've forgotten most about pounds as I use kilos but I think I got it right. When you use the # sign for pounds, do you put it in front of or after the digits? Google was not my friend looking for this.
Yes, your stats make sense. Congratulations on the 30+ lb loss since your pregnancy!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Terrific DD for me today:

atkins shake
ww eng. muffin, with 1 egg and 1 slice of tomato
10 calorie vitamin water

410 calories!
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caramel
Stats: 156.5/146.8/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 11/25/11
Hello everyone,

Just checking in, today is my 4th day doing Juddd the lowcarb way and I'm down to 144 this am my hunger is a lot better also, yesterdays dd wasn't that bad at all and looks like I will be fininishing this UD with around 1800 cal and for me that is a low UD, last week I'm sure I averaged in some 3000 cal UD . I was 146.6 Tuesday which is a rise for me even though I did a lowcarb day monday and it was all due to Sundays huge UD(confusing I know), oh well you live and learn.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Hi everyone. I am back! haha!, I'm sure most of you don't remember me or never knew me, but I did JUDDD for awhile and was very successful on it, then started a new protocol for my thyroid and decided not to do it while doing that and of course, my weight is back. I'll update my stats...ugh, but I'm at 149 right now. I am starting back tomorrow with a DD. Looking VERY forward to this!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Carmel Congratulations on the weight loss. High UD's can make me gain as well, no matter how low my DD's are.

Leisa Welcome Back. I restarted again also in Nov. - enjoying it so much more this time around. Hope you enjoy another JUDDD journey.

Sara That English muffin and egg sounds good. Tomorrow my DD will be roast beef sandwiches with lefsa

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-07-2010 at 05:13 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
UD done at 1534. tomorrow will either be another up day or a moderate day--likely an UD because I have both lunch and dinner out--

My clothes are getting looser and I was surprised to see a loss this morning on the scale (surprised because I felt bloated for some reason). I am so sticking with this, not just for the physical benefits--as a hypoThyroid I NEVER lose weight--really Leo, I think you are right that this is custom designed for hypos--but also because I feel like I am really learning a lot about my relationship with food doing this.

I continue to worry a bit about the exercise deal--see, I am a member of a group that works with a wonderful and fun trainer--it is as much as a social group as anything else, so I am not likely to back off it, however it is super intense. I did a 60 minute circuit training session with him on a DD on wednesday, and felt kind of dizzy in the afternoon. I did end up eating around 630 cals that day, and I know Johnson states you can eat more if you work out--so I guess I will just keep playing it by ear.

I finally got an appt with the thyroid doc--who does not take insurance. ouch. It will be worth it if my hair stops falling out.

Hope each one of you had a good day

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #192
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
LBishop - Welcome back! Of course I remember you. I wasn't convinced about that thyroid protocol... but we HypOs have to each find our own way.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Ilpirata, the protocol has worked wonders for me! I really do feel 100 times better. I hope it will continue but if it doesn't, at least I've had this time to feel so good and it will make me work harder to find what I need to get back to this. I truly do feel wonderful and have been weaned off my meds completely for about 2 months or more now. It's great.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #194
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
Ilpirata, the protocol has worked wonders for me! I really do feel 100 times better. I hope it will continue but if it doesn't, at least I've had this time to feel so good and it will make me work harder to find what I need to get back to this. I truly do feel wonderful and have been weaned off my meds completely for about 2 months or more now. It's great.
OMG! Wow thats awesome!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Leisa What thyroid protocol? Are you testing your thyroid levels as a part of this protocol?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hey Leisa----welcome back! I totally remember you. Lots of us have had some holiday gains (MOI!) and our little Leo is the all star with 54 lbs down in 2009!

I think I can safely say that most everyone here is super motivated right now with the whole new year diet thing and on track with Juddd!

Great to hear that you have the thyroid thing figured out.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #197
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sara-You're doing great on DDs--and your menus seem terrific. You're very creative with your calories.

Caramel--You're getting there! It's nice that DDs can take care of those uber-UDs--and, you're right--it's easier to lose if we control the UDs (i.e., at least less than 3000 cal--isn't it amazing how quickly they add up?).

Leisa- I, too, remember you--welcome back! Were you doing a Wilson's protocol? I ask only because Pam (on the thyroid boards) has had a lot to say about that.

Ouis- Can you switch your workout day to an UD? (I don't mean change the workout but adjust your alternation to make the workout an UD). I ask only because you'd be more comfortable that way, although on another board (Mark's Daily Apple) there are a lot of folks (mostly men) who do IF and swear by working out intensely when they're fasting.

Another thing to consider is that there are cautions against too intense exercise for hypos--apparently it stresses the thyroid.

Snaggle- Thanks for the compliment, but it's difficult to be a 'star' when I lost so much because I have SO MUCH to lose

Kisha-I hope you're enjoying jury duty. I've only been once because we have to call in here each day to see if we're 'needed,' and the second time I was called, it was Thanksgiving week. I just knew the judges and lawyers would be working minimally that week, and, sure enough, each day that I called, I was told I wasn't needed. But my one experience was very interesting--although I never got on an actual jury.

Last edited by Leo41; 01-08-2010 at 04:06 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Here is an informative link from the Thyroid thread where Pam and others discuss the Wilson's Protocol:

Wilson's Temperature Syndrome

I'm very excited about tomorrow's weigh-in. I have been on track since Sunday and hope to at least have all my holiday weight (3lbs) off.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Redeemed. I have posted a question to Pam on that board. I am a bit discouraged that my good results are not going to last now. : (
Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Redeemed. I have posted a question to Pam on that board. I am a bit discouraged that my good results are not going to last now. : (
I was diagnosed hypothyroid in Sept. I get my Thyroid from Canada - supposedly it's the same formula as the original Armour. I feel great on it. Now I'm looking forward to weight loss as I follow JUDDD. I am wondering though, if a calorie cycle like the one Pam follows will work just as well now that I'm optimally medicated. I did a calorie cycling plan and I lost after the first two weeks, but then started gaining. That's when I found out I was hypo. How are your girls? Who's that in the picture with you? Are you still running?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Anyone experience insomnia on JUDDD? I am noticing that I feel wired a lot--not from caffeine--I only have one cup in the morning. I know Johnson talks about folks experiencing a lot of energy on this woe, but getting to sleep and staying asleep are getting to be a problem for me.

On a positive note, I was down another pound this morning, after an UD.

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Anyone experience insomnia on JUDDD? I am noticing that I feel wired a lot--not from caffeine--I only have one cup in the morning. I know Johnson talks about folks experiencing a lot of energy on this woe, but getting to sleep and staying asleep are getting to be a problem for me.

On a positive note, I was down another pound this morning, after an UD.
Ouis
972122dtuadhvrq0.gif

I do have insomnia on some of my DD nights. But I usually drink more coffee on DD's as a filler, so that may be part of the problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I was diagnosed hypothyroid in Sept. I get my Thyroid from Canada - supposedly it's the same formula as the original Armour. I feel great on it. Now I'm looking forward to weight loss as I follow JUDDD. I am wondering though, if a calorie cycle like the one Pam follows will work just as well now that I'm optimally medicated. I did a calorie cycling plan and I lost after the first two weeks, but then started gaining. That's when I found out I was hypo. How are your girls? Who's that in the picture with you? Are you still running?
hey, you are so sweet to ask! My girls are great. That is a little girl in Honduras. I spent the week there with my oldest dd (13) last week on a mission trip. It was the most incredible week! I don't know what the calorie cycling thing is that Pam does, but I'm restarting JUDDD today. I loved it and felt great on it and wish I had never stopped. I just posted on the running board. I think I may have compartment syndrome in my lower legs. It has put a serious halt in my running, or even walking for that matter, for the time being. I am going to keep trying and will be doing some other things, like videos in the meantime.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
hey, you are so sweet to ask! My girls are great. That is a little girl in Honduras. I spent the week there with my oldest dd (13) last week on a mission trip. It was the most incredible week! I don't know what the calorie cycling thing is that Pam does, but I'm restarting JUDDD today. I loved it and felt great on it and wish I had never stopped. I just posted on the running board. I think I may have compartment syndrome in my lower legs. It has put a serious halt in my running, or even walking for that matter, for the time being. I am going to keep trying and will be doing some other things, like videos in the meantime.
Here's a song for you sung by Sara Groves. I posted this on an Inspirational Song thread here on LCF to honor missionaries. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-08-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #205
Senior LCF member

Leisa-

Don't give up too soon. Every body is different, and as long as you're feeling fine from your protocol, here's hoping it continues.

However, if you're really hypothyroid (and you may not be), there's no "fix" except for life-long medication to replace the hormones you're not producing.

If you continue to feel fine, enjoy it!

Ouis-

Congratulations on the loss! I've never felt any particular 'energy' on JUDDD, but I'm not 'normal' with my compromised metabolism. I've only occasionally had difficulty falling asleep--but that problem preceded JUDDD as well. I drink a LOT of caffeine (recommended by my endo [because "you're otherwise healthy"] to compensate for my extremely slow metabolism, and I usually have no problem sleeping.

Redeemed-

The less drastic calorie cycling that Pam describes may work better for you--or not work at all. All you can do is try it, and see what happens. Personally, I can't keep my calories low enough except via JUDDD, but you may be able to lose fine with a system like Pam's, and it might be better for you with your work issues. You should stay with us (i.e., continue to post here), since JUDDD is basically just a specific form of calorie cycling, so you'd still be in the family
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Leisa-

Don't give up too soon. Every body is different, and as long as you're feeling fine from your protocol, here's hoping it continues.

However, if you're really hypothyroid (and you may not be), there's no "fix" except for life-long medication to replace the hormones you're not producing.

If you continue to feel fine, enjoy it!

Ouis-

Congratulations on the loss! I've never felt any particular 'energy' on JUDDD, but I'm not 'normal' with my compromised metabolism. I've only occasionally had difficulty falling asleep--but that problem preceded JUDDD as well. I drink a LOT of caffeine (recommended by my endo [because "you're otherwise healthy"] to compensate for my extremely slow metabolism, and I usually have no problem sleeping.

Redeemed-

The less drastic calorie cycling that Pam describes may work better for you--or not work at all. All you can do is try it, and see what happens. Personally, I can't keep my calories low enough except via JUDDD, but you may be able to lose fine with a system like Pam's, and it might be better for you with your work issues. You should stay with us (i.e., continue to post here), since JUDDD is basically just a specific form of calorie cycling, so you'd still be in the family
Absolutely! I consider calorie cycling (as Pam is doing) the far side of JUDDD..... or vise versa .
Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:
Hi everyone. I am back! haha!, I'm sure most of you don't remember me or never knew me, but I did JUDDD for awhile and was very successful on it, then started a new protocol for my thyroid and decided not to do it while doing that and of course, my weight is back. I'll update my stats...ugh, but I'm at 149 right now. I am starting back tomorrow with a DD. Looking VERY forward to this!
Hey Leisa!! Welcome back...of course I remember you...your on my FB..lol. Anyway, I am back too!

Michelle
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsyfartsy
Stats: 120/112.5/110-lost 30lbs. prior
WOE: Low Carb Fusion
Hi all,

I was bored today so I read through this whole thread.

It's interesting and looking back, I think a light bulb went off in my head today. In the past while following a diet plan, I seem to only lose weight after a day of over eating (say almost double or slightly less than my "diet" range), which totally baffled me. It happened several times.

At the time, I was totally frustrated and didn't understand why on the days I watched what I ate I never saw weightloss until something dramatic occurred like going out to eat and throwing my diet out the window. Or after a fondue with tons of calories.

I noticed that this weightloss occurred about say every 2.5 to 3 weeks into my diet and always followed by a day of eating. Sometimes I would drop 3.5lb to 5lbs in a total of two days. I'm only 5'0 and that's a lot for somebody my size. At the time I thought that this happened because I must have been spiking my metabolism up from the food cause my daily diet was putting me in starvation mode.

Now I see I was probably eating in the 35% range (slightly higher than 20% range) and weightloss ocurred a little slower, but it showed about every 2.5lbs to 3 weeks after a spurge. You know what I quit this diet because I swear it was happening from screwing up my metabolism, plus I couldn't figure this all out.

Well, flash forward to the present. I've been intriqued by intermittent fasting. I've been following it because I'd rather have larger meals than little dinky ones throughout the day. I always found my self straving.

I've found IF quite easy for me. Not sure why, cause I love to eat. But I do know that once i eat in the morning it triggers me to want to pick or eat all day. IF makes it so much easier for me.

Now, I'm confused if I want to try JUDDD or stick with what's not broken. I could technically eat my <500 cals at my meal once a day in the evening and do UD the next. Hmmm. things to think about.

Also, I added up all the cals from the UD and DD and you know what? It comes out to and almost exactly to the amount of calories I need per day to eat to lose weight per week.

Sorry this is so long.:blush:
artsyfartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #209
Senior LCF member

Artsy-

Much as I love JUDDD, I'm of the school of "Don't fix what's not broken." If you're losing with your WOE, and you're satisfied with it (i.e., not hungry all the time), then I'd stay with it.

Most of us here came to JUDDD in desperation because what we were doing wasn't working any more. If you ever stall in your plan, then I'd say give JUDDD a try.

But we welcome everyone, so feel free to ignore my advice
Old 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Artsy, that's why I combine Fast 5 and JUDDD. I love IF and I also LOVE to eat, but I could have written your post. Once I have a bite of food, it triggers me to continue to eat. Today was my first day back on plan and it was mean to be a DD, but I also combined it with Fast 5 and didn't eat until 6pm. However, I forgot that my daughter was all excited about making homemade tortillas like she learned to make in Honduras last week, so I went ahead and ate. I'm sure I exceeded 500 calories but I am SO stuffed and I am DONE. I have a lot of energy with this eating also. I went off of it a few months back because I too feared I was messing up my metabolism and was on the Wilsons Temp protocol and wanted to make sure I wasn't messing with it. I think I worried for nothing though and I'm back!