Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
QUICK Check In

Had GREAT DD Yesterday. At most of my food for breakfast then a few bites of pork and chicken before bed.

Weighed in at 204 this a.m. so the carb bloat is already fleeing.

I'm at jury duty all day so won't be online til later.

HAPPY JUDDING EVERYONE!!!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
ouis- I hear ya! I was so annoyed that I had to put down 35 calories for green beans which brought my dd number up to 400cal. I had wanted to be at 350. What is so stupid is that if I just hadn't had any nuts, I would have easily made it, but it is like I don't mind counting the calories if it is something good or decadent, but when it is something healthy, I feel like it should be a freebie.
This is why I really try and make my up days foods I really enjoy. I mean, nothing totally junk-y, but I don't worry so much about all my old diet "rules". My main thing is portion control. I am trying to train myself to be able to be a person who can eat what everyone else eats, but knowing when to stop. My up days are my training ground.

Kept my first up day at 1800 calories and yet, I ate exactly what I wanted.
So happy to be back on plan.

Not happy about the visit of old aunt flo. GEEZ, months away, and the old gal just HAD to pay a visit! So much for menopause.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Congratulations on being back on plan, Snaggle! BTW, my brother lives in Seattle. The city is Auburn, and I think the lake he lives on is Green Lake.

Quiz I should add that if it were not for the JUDDD tweakers here, this great thread wouldn't be what it is. Leo, Kisha and many others do low carb and count calories. This thrread has a history of being supportive of JUDDD only peeps, and tweakers.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I'd like to recommend some Mexican Hominy (i use Juanitas) as a great DD food. 1/2 cup is 60 calories and 4 net carbs. I processed that half cup to the size of rice, and it was the perfect post workout DD food!

O
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #155
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
2perfectgirls-

Over the year+ that I've been on JUDDD, I've found just what you did--they key to success is planning, planning, planning. I find by planning my DDs in advance, I don't need to think about food during the day (important because I know that for me thinking easily leads to eating). I also plan my UDs because I want to get the maximum nutrition for my calories.

Kisha-

Congratulations on the DD! As you know from experience, just a few DDs will get you back on track.

Ouis

I think the reason so many of us on JUDDD are hypothyroid is because regardless of how well we're medicated, hyothyroidism inhibits weight loss. The Catch-22 is that the low calories we need to lose also tend to lower our T3, which then further inhibits weight loss! I do best when my T3 is at the high end of the range, but on JUDDD, I have trouble keeping it at half of range (my endo doesn't want to give me any more Cytomel because he worries that I'll go hyper).
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fjeld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
[B] I wish I could do something like this. My son has moved to an apartment and I could use his room as a "silent retreat" area on a DD that I have off work. I did a water fast a couple of weeks ago for a DD and went way overboard on the following UD. I may try it again on a day off of work to see if it goes better.
That happens to me as well when I fast, Fast-5 for example, I'll eat all evening after eating nothing during the day, or just try to fast a whole day on veggie juice. My hunger goes out of control and I binge. ICR/DD:s are a blessing since they're so much easier to do but you still get the benefits of a fast.

I'm suffering (the self-inflicted) consequenses of eating too much sugar lately. It's either white knuckling it and feeling deprived or eating it and never getting enough. I can't stand either alternative I'll have to ask Cleochatra on the main board about The Mood Cure, because she seems to be conquering the cravings with the help of this book. Anyone here have experience with The Mood Cure? Sorry to be depressing and bringing up sugar yet again...

Aiming for a DD Friday or Sunday. Congrats on successful DD:s and UD:s everyone!
fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeld View Post
That happens to me as well when I fast, Fast-5 for example, I'll eat all evening after eating nothing during the day, or just try to fast a whole day on veggie juice. My hunger goes out of control and I binge. ICR/DD:s are a blessing since they're so much easier to do but you still get the benefits of a fast.

I'm suffering (the self-inflicted) consequenses of eating too much sugar lately. It's either white knuckling it and feeling deprived or eating it and never getting enough. I can't stand either alternative I'll have to ask Cleochatra on the main board about The Mood Cure, because she seems to be conquering the cravings with the help of this book. Anyone here have experience with The Mood Cure? Sorry to be depressing and bringing up sugar yet again...

Aiming for a DD Friday or Sunday. Congrats on successful DD:s and UD:s everyone!
I've got the book (the mood cure) but I didn't fit any of the checklists! LOL. I'm afraid I'm not a depressive/anxious personality type. Its an interesting read and though and I bet quite helpful to many people. Easy to read. I'd recommend picking it up.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fjeld
Thanks Kisha and hurrah! on the DD. A great feeling, isn't it : )

By the way, are my stats making sense? I decided to come clean I've forgotten most about pounds as I use kilos but I think I got it right. When you use the # sign for pounds, do you put it in front of or after the digits? Google was not my friend looking for this.
fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #159

oh we don't even use the # LOL. We just assume everything is in our measurements

Well I'm on the jury! So I'll be in and out sporadically through the end of next week.

CIAO!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Redeemed: Auburn is about 1/2 hr. southeast of Seattle. Green Lake is in the
heart of town? Maybe he lives near or on the Green River? That is down by Auburn.

I am right in the city. Live and work just a few minutes from downtown in a neighborhood
called Magnolia, overlooking Elliot Bay and the city.

Speaking of home towns: a big shout out Kisha in San Jose. I went to school at Santa Clara and lived down there for 6 years. I miss it sometimes, especially like now when it is cold and rainy and drizzly here for days on end. I remember sunbathing in March when I was in college.
Hope your trial is interesting.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Successful DD#2.....

Well, today was different, but I made it. My mother had some eye surgery today and is spending the night at my house. We have a lot of emotional/stress baggage regarding my weight (since I was a kid), so this is stressful for me. Managed to make it with 468 calories.

She didn't even comment as I fed her leftover turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli casserole, cranberry sauce, bread etc while I ate a big bowl of steamed broccoli sprinkled with parmesan....deelish! Maybe she's learning. Anyway, it probably won't have much staying power, so it will be early to bed for me tonight.

But I can do hard things....and I can eat tomorrow!!

(Congratulations Kisha on your successful DD too....jury duty will probably make it easier, right?) I always seem to do better when busy and away from home.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #162
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-

That bowl of broccoli might help more than you think. I don't often do that because I'm always focusing on protein, but a couple of times I had steamed broccoli on a DD, and the bulk is very satisfying and stays with me.

I had a 350 cal DD, and it's early to bed for me, too, tonight. Part of the problem is my cat who gets me up so early, and I've been too busy for naps lately, so I'm nice and tired (good for the ending of a DD).
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Hi everyone!

Quick check in, with school back in session Im crazy busy, those holidays certainly spoil a teacher.

Monday's up day was atrocious. I ate so much it almost made me sick. Lesson learned...um...again.
Tuesday's down day (My 5th one) went seemingly, they are getting easier and easier.
Today is another up day, and I put my binging to the side. Certainly ate enough, but did not gorge on boxes of chocolates ect ect.
Another down day tomorrow...woo hoo! (Am I really cheering for a down day? Weird.)

Im wondering....is one able to take two down days and do two up days? I have a conference next week and am wondering if I can do this? Has anyone tried? If not...I can certainly do it...its just difficult with business lunches and dinners is all.
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Sara The book says not to do two DD's in a row. You could do a DD and a Medium Day; or two UD's in a row.

Kisha I hope you enjoy the experience of jury duty. I have been called twice, but each time it posed a hardship for the families I worked for if I took an absence. So, I never made it to jury duty - hope it goes well.

Snaggle I'll find out the name of the lake and get back to you. He always comes to MN to visit rather than us going to Seattle. So, it's been many years since I was in Seattle.

fjeld In America, we usually write 30 lbs. for 30 pounds. I haven't seen the pound sign used much, but if it is used it would be 30#.

Finished up my DD at about 450 calories. Hope to stay on the right path so I can weigh-in Saturday.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-06-2010 at 06:48 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HOW do you guys do it? I can't fathom a 350 cal DD, I finished over 500 again--565. I do seem to "need" something sweet tasting like a dessert--so that is part of it--I had 60 cals for bfst and 60 for lunch and 50 midafternoon snack and dinner was salad with egg and tuna etc. then i "needed" some LC chocolate to finish. I know leo does no sweets--I don't know if i can do that. I seem to still need food rewards, even on a DD. Of course I worked out hard today, so my net was probably a whole lot less, and it remains to be seen how the whole weight loss thing is going, but I am routinely over on my DDs. Just venting i guess. I did make an appt to get my Hashimotos reviewed.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

ouizoid (how do you say that anyway?)-- I have worked my way down to get to the 400 or lower calorie level from barely able to manage keeping to 500. It took a couple of months. I buy into the theory that lower lows are good for this plan and I find they really don't affect my ups much. When you first start the plan and before you are used to it, just aim to be 500.
Today I am under 350 which makes me happy. It has been an easy one for me. Had some turkey sausage, sauteed kale and a little chopped veggie salad with cukes, tomatoes, dill, vinegar and a bit of dill havarti cheese. I am going to make these chopped veggie salads more often because I like vinegar-y things and it filled me up with very few calories. I worked out tonight too.
Weigh in tomorrow.......................................... ......eeeeek.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

my name is Ouis pronounced Weez:blush: Think "yes" in french, oui--

Ok--I have been thinking about this and I think I have a lot of mental food garbage. I clearly need to do these DDs differently. I am anxiously finding the lowest calorie things to eat so that I can eat frequently. I need to probably eat 3-4 meals a day of about 100 cals per meal and leave it at that. Might take some experimentation.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
HOW do you guys do it? I can't fathom a 350 cal DD, I finished over 500 again--565. I do seem to "need" something sweet tasting like a dessert--so that is part of it--I had 60 cals for bfst and 60 for lunch and 50 midafternoon snack and dinner was salad with egg and tuna etc. then i "needed" some LC chocolate to finish. I know leo does no sweets--I don't know if i can do that. I seem to still need food rewards, even on a DD. Of course I worked out hard today, so my net was probably a whole lot less, and it remains to be seen how the whole weight loss thing is going, but I am routinely over on my DDs. Just venting i guess. I did make an appt to get my Hashimotos reviewed.

Quis I have sweets every other day on UD's. Today (DD) I made bananna nut bread for DH. I just told myself, "I can have it tomorrow." I brought two slices to work with me and will have it at 6 AM. No big deal to me - no food is off limits to me. I just have my rewards every other day. I hope everything goes well at your dr. app't re: thyroid.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Another good DD yesterday!

I'm so happy to see we're all still on track this week! What great reinforcement here! Good job Sherrie (wow, 2 DD's this week; way to go Girl! especially under duress! you really CAN do hard things, can't you?), Snaggle, Leo, Kisha and Redeemed (love those graphics!) and anyone else I may have forgotten. Again chewed lots of sugar-free gum yesterday. When the stomach bloat finally goes away (from the irritating sorbitol), I'm starvin' like Marvin! But it sure helps me get through the day.

Today is a planned UD. One of my snacks I had planned is 300 cals of peanut butter (which is only 3 tblspns) with 90 cals of apple. That's just using up too many of my calories so I'm going to substitute whole pecans or almonds instead of peanut butter. I figure I can "graze" on the nuts and apples and it'll make me feel like I've eaten a lot more food than I have!

Don't know why, but I have no problem planning breakfast, lunch and two snacks, but dinner escapes me And I'm pulling a page out of EmandM's book and trying to think of things I really want to eat, so it might be some roasted garlic and tomato soup with some cheese. Need to keep the carbs down since I'm still waiting the 1st two weeks of this to get my breathing back under control. I really did myself no favors over the holidays, that's for sure. OK, thanks for letting me think out loud!

Did you guys read a blurb on the Main Lobby about Michael Pollan's new food rules? there was a statement: if it comes from a plant, eat it; if it comes from inside a plant, don't. I thought that was pretty cool. Good luck everyone! Have a great day today!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #170
Senior LCF member

Sara-

Just to reiterate--don't do 2 DDs in a row. The reason for this is that the alternation keeps the body from 'adjusting' to those low calorie DDs (i.e., when it fears starvation, it starts retaining water, etc.) because according to Dr. J, just 24 hours won't affect you, but more will. When I need to change my alternation for social things, I just throw in a 'medium' day.

Ouis-

I can do a 350 cal DD only because I've been doing this for more than a year! When I started, as I think I mentioned, I never believed that I could do a DD at all. Surely I'd die with less than 500 cal in a day

I focus on low calorie things (no more than 150), so that I can eat several times on a DD rather than just once. If you crave something sweet, why not make one of your meals a protein shake? OR--take a few sips of a protein shake after each meal (if you crave dessert), making the one shake last all day.

Also, keep in mind that sour things can often satisfy an urge for sweet things. I used to eat a dill pickle if I wanted something sweet, and I found that worked. We've also found that dill pickles tend to kill appetite, if you're hungry late on a DD.

I find it easier NOT to work out on DDs and just keep my calories low. I actually decided on which days to do DDs based on my usual sessions at the pool.

Snaggle-

Like you, I like vinegar-y things, and don't you find that they help suppress appetite? That was how I got the idea of adding vinegar to broth, along with my hot sauce. I had a cup of that last night, and it still amazes me how filling that is.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Wow, woke up starving this morning. That broccoli didn't work too well last night. I usually try to make most of my 500 calories protein and that seems to last me longer and satisfy me better. Ouis....maybe more protein would help you too. I certainly relate to wondering how these ladies do their low calorie days....I too struggle keeping at 500.

Having some oatmeal and turkey bacon for breakfast this morning. Taking my mother to her eye doctor this morning and then for an echocardiogram this afternoon. Will be going out to lunch...thank heavens it's an UD.

Tomorrow will be a challenging (aren't they all?) DD. Have a funeral to attend at 11AM about an hour away with a luncheon to follow. Will try to pick and choose carefully....I really want to make it a true DD, but may go a little over...we'll see. I have to have an UD on Saturday cause entertaining for a large group of friends who love my sauce and macaroni and that sure won't be a DD!!

Everyone have a good day. Hoping to keep this UD more manageable and not so out of control.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Thanks for the heads up on the two DD's! MUCH appreciated.

DD for me today, Im shooting for under 450 cals.
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Good Morning JUDDDers!!

Well, I am still here and doing great! Not losing really fast, but I am losing and I never lose really fast. Even when I was kicking butt I lost about 3 lbs a month.

I had a GREAT DD yesterday, best one so far. It was an accomplishment because my family ate pizza hut and I didn't eat any. I had a lowfat fage w/ 1 tbl PB. It came to about 235 and that was it for the day woo hoo! I have been doing close to 500 for DD's until I got back into the groove.

Kisha - Glad to have you back!

Anyway, gotta go for now! I am at work and it's getting busy.

Michelle

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle Way to go .

Sherrie I hope everything turns out alright for your mother . When I did my first two weeks of induction last year, I never thought I would be able to stay with 500 cals for my DD's. Now, I don't mind too much at all. I had to make a psychological adjustment.

UD here - will try to stay below 2300.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #175

HIT AND RUN!

Sorry to hit and run like this you guys... I've just got a few quick seconds. Great UD yesterday. I didn't track but I definately didn't pig out like happens sometimes. Down again this am to 201.4

I'm optimistic that I'll get back under 200 in the next few days since obviously quite a bit of my post new year's weight was carb water.

DD today.... down at the courthouse. Should be okay.

HAPPY JUDDING!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Leo- I had never thought about the sour or vinegar-y stuff supressing appetite, but now that you mention it, that may be true. I will try and do it again on my down day tomorrow. Sometimes when I find a good down day food, I tend to have it every dd and then I get sick of it, so I don't want to do that with this dumb little salad I made.

Weighed in at 154 which is bad. I hope a few will drop off fast as soon as I am done with this completely unpredicted and unwanted visitor, TOM.
I guess I was naive to get my hopes up that I was all done with them after skipping just a couple of months, but I did.
Anyway, I agree with what Grammy pat said about doing no favors for myself over the holidays. If I had just managed to keep up a few down days, I think I would have maintained, but I only had 1 down day after Dec. 3rd until the 4th of January.
7 lbs up. Yuck.
gotta change my siggy I guess!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[B]Leo, Sherry, Sara, Kisha, Michelle, Redeemed, Pat, et al[B]sorry for anyone I missed. I am terrible at doing individual posts--so know that I read each person's posts, and sorry for all the self focus in my own posts.

I went back last night and read the October JUDDD thread (having already read November and December). What an incredible amount of wisdom and information there is in this group--I learned so much having done that, and it was good to see that I am not alone in my struggles and to rest in the arms of the collective experience here. We Can Do Hard Things.

UD here for me. I plan to keep it around 1500 (high for me). I plan to give my DD quite a bit of consideration. I can't do the next DD til Saturday, but I really need to think about it. Time and again, people post that this WOE highlights unconscious eating patterns or emotions/beliefs that they would not have recognized otherwise. Boy, can I relate after yesterday! What a gift.

Thank you so much for all the help. Sorry for my lack of individual comment--perhaps when I have more time under my belt and less anxiety about my own process I will be able to be there for others:blush:

Ouis whose name is pronounced wheez
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
[B]Leo, Sherry, Sara, Kisha, Michelle, Redeemed, Pat, et al[B]sorry for anyone I missed. I am terrible at doing individual posts--so know that I read each person's posts, and sorry for all the self focus in my own posts.

I went back last night and read the October JUDDD thread (having already read November and December). What an incredible amount of wisdom and information there is in this group--I learned so much having done that, and it was good to see that I am not alone in my struggles and to rest in the arms of the collective experience here. We Can Do Hard Things.

UD here for me. I plan to keep it around 1500 (high for me). I plan to give my DD quite a bit of consideration. I can't do the next DD til Saturday, but I really need to think about it. Time and again, people post that this WOE highlights unconscious eating patterns or emotions/beliefs that they would not have recognized otherwise. Boy, can I relate after yesterday! What a gift.

Thank you so much for all the help. Sorry for my lack of individual comment--perhaps when I have more time under my belt and less anxiety about my own process I will be able to be there for others:blush:

Ouis whose name is pronounced wheez
It's fun giving time to and supporting new JUDDDers! The focus should be on you because you have lots of questions now. When I first started I took up a lot of everyone's time - even had an on-line journal and convinced others to support me there also. Were here for you.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Well, after a lot of thought, I've decided this isn't a healthy diet for me.

I am too hungry on the UDs and have been having a lot of trouble controlling my blood sugar because I'm eating too much. I'm almost 2 weeks in and figured it would get easier, but the last four days have been too hard and I feel like I am continuously hungry all the time, and that's not good. When I eat my usual regimen I'm very rarely hungry, which is what makes it sustainable.

So I'm going to experiment with a few other ideas--varying calories but not anywhere near so intensely. I feel that this was a good way to get through the holidays and I also appreciate what it taught me about how often I think about food, but my body is letting me know this isn't a good way of eating for someone with my blood sugar issues.

Best wishes for success to all the rest of you here.

--Jenny
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #180
Senior LCF member

Jenny-

I think I mentioned that Dr. J suggested in his book that diabetics would have problems with this plan. And my sister, who is a type2, couldn't do it. I would never do a plan where I was constantly hungry, so you're wise to leave it alone--although we'll miss you hear. Perhaps you can stay with us to post about how calorie cycling is working for you.

We each have to find what works for us. I'm beginning to think that this should be renamed "The Hypothyroid Diet" since so many of us have gravitated to it

What's been happening to me recently is interesting. I'm someone who could gain on meat/eggs because ketosis doesn't really quell my enormous appetite. But just recently, after more than a year on JUDDD, I'm finding that I'm thinking about how to get enough calories on a UD because I'm not really very hungry and could easily skip meals. That has never happened to me in my entire life.

I don't know whether that's a JUDDD effect or from the fact that a few months ago, in addition to sweets, I cut out all grains and dairy. I never make 'recipes,' but eat just whole foods--eggs, meat, fish, veggies, and some nuts. I feel terrific eating this way.