Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #91
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Tami-

I've heard that those body fat monitors are not reliable, but I'm sure they'll give you a general sense of fat loss.

From what I've read, the only way to insure minimal muscle loss when losing weight is to eat a lot of protein and do strength/resistance training (much like the bodybuilders so, but on a smaller scale).

When I came to JUDDD, I was doing Protein Power because I believe in more protein to compensate for the lack of carbs, and I feel best when I maximize my protein.

With my age (68) and medical conditions (severe osteoarthritis), the only exercise I do is swimming (along with some exercises in water that I got from a physical therapist to strengthen my legs), but working out in water is terrific because the water resistance makes it as good as using weights (in fact I tried adding weights, and that was too much).

In any case, I've lost about 140 lbs over the past few years, eat a lot of protein, and swim regularly, and I have muscle definition for the first time in my life--and at my age, that's amazing.

That's convinced me that the protein/exercise formula is the best insurance against losing muscle.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Sad Realization

Well, got on the scale this morning for my official JUDD start weigh-in at 284lb! That means in 2009 I managed to GAIN 5lb! Now that wouldn't be bad if I didn't feel that for the better part of the year I was actually trying to LOSE weight. I have a history of being such a YO YO dieter and I know that has wrecked my metabolism.

Well, a New Year with new resolve and a new WOE. DD#1 for me today and a good start with my favorite DD breakfast (1/2 cup Egg Beaters combined with LC cheese, nuked with salsa on top for 100 calories).

Misty...welcome back and Grammy Pat, glad to be doing my DD with you too! This is gonna be a good year, I can just tell.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Sherrie--this is the beginning of a new year--don't look back, look forward--I know it will be completely different this time next year!

DD #2 for me today, and my goal is 500. I ate 2300 calories yesterday and felt guilty, which is ridiculous because DH and I walked 8 miles (I am helping him prepare for the Avon walk). I am a little sore today and already hungry and more than a little nervous about my DD.

I realize that my work is SO intense, and one of the ways I take care of myself is by nibbling between hours. Lowcarb, lowfat, lowcalorie, but still eating. I have a store of herbal teas to drink today (I love Tension Tamer), and I have prepared some uberlow calorie foods: broth with miracle noodles, 35 cal protein shake, salad with WF dressing, HBE, etc to get me thru. I am hoping to have 300 cals for dinner--as stated before, my one concern is that I eat pretty late on some evenings because of work, but it will be an experiment today to see how that goes. My other concern is that I totally need my wits about me at work and hope I can stay focused. I recognize today all the fears I have around not eating, lol. Self-exploration is good! Thank you JUDDD!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh--wanted to ask--has anyone done a green smoothie on their DD's? I just made one with crystal light, ice cubes, water, frozen spinach, turnip greens, and mustard greens for 20 very filling calories!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Judd Week 1 Loss Report: -9 pounds!

Hello everyone!

Up day for me today!

Just wanted to quickly pop in and say I weighed in today after the mark of 1 complete and true official week of JUDD.

I weighed in at 214. That means I lost 9 pounds in my first week of Juddd!

Wow. I know its because its week 1, and I know its mostly water and Vegas weight loss....but still so, so , soooo amazing!

Thank you all for welcoming me into the wonderful world of eating!
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #96
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-

You're not alone. I had a similar experience in 2008 eating generic low carb and trying to watch my calories. I gained and lost the same 10 lbs all year, and by the end of the year, I was up 10 lbs! It was even more frustrating because I'd already lost close to 80 lbs eating that way, and suddenly, it didn't seem to work any more. That's what brought me to JUDDD.

And my 2009 story was a loss of 54 lbs, thanks to JUDDD. So my wish for you is that your 2010 will be like my 2009 (with even a greater loss). To me, the key is keeping the DDs, controlling the UDs, and being consistent.
You can do this!

Ouis-

You're a psychologist, so you should know that all your negative fears about not eating can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If it's any help, I felt exactly the same way before I started--i.e., I just knew I couldn't function on 400 cal, but I discovered that I actually feel better on DDs!

I think the principle of JUDDD is that the physical negative effect of low calories takes longer than 24 hours, so we don't get the foggy thinking or the tiredness, etc. that can come from low calories because of those wonderful UDs.

By the way, I know what you mean about stress eating. When I was planning to retire, I worried that I'd start gaining instead of losing because I would be home all day, but I began losing well as soon as I retired. I realize in retrospect that my high-stress job was causing a lot of "off-the-grid" eating (i.e., eating that didn't even register with me because it was so compulsive). The nice thing about DDs is that they highlight all those bad food habits and help eliminate them.

Sara-

Any loss is something to celebrate--great job

You've also discovered something about JUDDD that we love. After any vacation when we might have indulged just a little too much, it only takes a couple of DDs to lose and get back on track. Whereas when I was eating standard low carb, I'd gain 5-7 lbs on a week-long cruise, and it would take me 3 months to lose that weight.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi Misty- welcome back!
Lots of us are getting back in the swing of things today after too many holiday indulgences. I am disappointed in myself for not being able to manage even a few successful down days since I got back from Mexico Dec. 14th, but I didn't, so as usual, I start this New Years feeling a bit worse about myself than if I had stuck to my goals.
Oh well.

I was going to weigh tomorrow, but just cannot face it yet. I will weigh Thursday. Last weigh in two weeks ago I was 150, so I am figuring at least a couple lbs higher than that. I upped my siggy, but we shall see...........

Feeling good to be back on track. Going to buy a new notebook today so I can start a fresh journal.
Going to go now to a total body conditioning class. woo hoo.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulgrlsara View Post

I weighed in at 214. That means I lost 9 pounds in my first week of Juddd!

Wow. I know its because its week 1, and I know its mostly water and Vegas weight loss....but still so, so , soooo amazing!

Thank you all for welcoming me into the wonderful world of eating!
Sara...Congratulations!! That's a wonderful loss for your first week. Pounds are pounds to me and all and any count.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Sara- That is so awesome!! Nothin' keeps you motivated like the scale coming down.
Way to go.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Quote:
Originally Posted by tami73 View Post

After I reach my goal weight I want to be one of those people who can eat normally (about 2000 cals) and not gain. The only way to do that is to have high muscle mass right? So if I notice that I am starting to lose muscle regularly then I will increase my dd calories while reducing the up ones to create the same deficit. It's a plan but will have to monitor for a couple of weeks to see if it is yielding results.
Once a person has lost more than 10% of their body weight, their basal metabolic rate is going to be significantly lower than that of someone who weights the same but hasn't lost a lot of weight. So you will do a lot better long term if you accept that you probably won't be eating any 2,000 calories to maintain your weight loss, but far less.

One reason so many people regain after reaching goal is that no one tells them this unpalatable truth--certainly not the people who sell weight loss programs and gym memberships.

Get used to eating less and expect to keep eating less to maintain. Many of us have found we have to eat almost the same amount of calories to maintain as we did during the last months of our weight loss journey.

It sucks, but that's how it is. Very few people over the age of 29 stay thin without a lot of self-control and turning away from foods they'd like to eat.

The body fat monitors are not 100% accurate. My Tanita can vary by 4% in the course of a single day depending on how much water I've drunk. Caliper measurements at the gym are more accurate.

You raise a good point, here, though. I do wonder about whether this particular diet is more damaging to lean body mass. But I think this diet may have huge advantages for people with inflammation. We are learning that inflammation of fat tissue may fight against weight loss, so lowering inflammation may help with weight loss.

My elbow feels a lot better after 10 days on the diet, though yesterday was NO fun and I hope my next DD is better. It didn't help that my Sweetie sat beside me eating literally all day long as he watched the football games. He's in the kind of shape where he can do that, but I had to really bite my tongue not to snap at him. It isn't HIS fault I'm on an extreme diet.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!

Went out for my long-awaited Chinese Lunch--the one I was promising myself for getting through yesterday. This is one I have eaten often which works well for me. Except that my insulin cartridge must have gotten frozen or something, because when I came home my blood sugars was 216 two hours after lunch, which for those of you who don't have diabetes is high enough to damage every organ in your body AND make you feel like utter crap.

Which I do.

Oh well. I have more insulin which I am hoping will be okay. I haven't been using much insulin because I don't use it on the DDs or I would have noticed this stuff was bad using it for a less challenging meal.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caramel
Stats: 156.5/146.8/135
Start Date: 11/25/11
Happy New Year gang!!

Well getting back on track for this New year and starting things off doing Juddd the low carb way. Got some really helpful tips from Leo41 and feel really good about this. Today is a DD and started off with 2 tuna muffins=140 cal.for lunch and will end with a lowcarb bowl of chilli =250 cal. for dinner and that leaves me with 100 calories to play around with, oh what to do? Yesterday was sort of a high UD so didn't want to get on the scale today but at the start of yesterday I was down to 145 so still going back in the right direction.
Hope everyone getting of to a good new start
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #103
Senior LCF member

Caramel-

You're doing great! And I try never to weigh after an UD because I get big 'bounces' on JUDDD, and seeing a higher number always depresses me even if I know it's going to go down in a day or so.

Jenny-

Sorry about your misadventure today--and your miserable DD yesterday. Snaggle mentioned that it's difficult to predict how the DDs will go. I used to think there was something wrong with me because everyone on this board (at that time) was saying that the DDs get easier and easier, but my experience was that they were unpredictable.

One DD, I actually woke up feeling 'full' and decided to wait until I was hungry to eat--and didn't eat all day. But that was only one day in the year Some are OK, and I don't feel any desire to go beyond my allotted calories, and some are so difficult that I want to gnaw on the edge of the kitchen counter. And when I wake up in the morning, I never know which it will be. The only good thing is that the easy days outnumber the bad ones by about 6-1 for me.

I was already eating an anti-inflammatory diet before I came to JUDDD, so I can't speak to its anti-inflammatory properties, but I do think that the key to preserving lean muscle is getting enough protein. Even though I try to avoid dairy, I just ordered another jug of Designer Whey natural to add to my omelets and things because protein is a priority for me.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

I would also like to chime in on the issue of losing muscle mass. I really do not think this woe contributes to it at all, at least not in my case. In fact, quite the opposite. Between this plan and regular working out, I have gotten smaller than I was many years ago at this same weight, which means to me that I am leaner. Even in my last two months of sticking to plan strictly (sept/oct 2009), I only lost 3-4 lbs, but lost a full clothing size. The scale was not going down, but I was shrinking. More people commented on my weight loss at the end of that period, than in any other period of my entire 60 lb total loss. Part of that, I feel is the weight training I do (NOT hard core, by any means) but a lot of it is juddd too.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

I think part of what made yesterday's DD so hard was the "Sit in front of the Tube watching football and eating at every commercial" thing we tend to do. I prefer to read rather than watch TV, but since my son started playing football I got hooked on the NFL and a boy from my son's high school (and local college) team is now on the Jets, which is pretty amazing if you ever saw our high school where the big sport was, I kid you not, Ultimate Frisbee. I sat out in the stands getting frozen and drenched with this kid's mom for 5 years so it's a thrill to see him play, even if he's on the team of our traditional rivals.

But it really made me realize how TV gets us beating that path to the kitchen and my Sweetie eating all day long was really hard to take.

My blood sugar calmed down again (with more insulin from another vial) and I'm going to go easy on the carbs for the rest of the day. I don't think I could handle too many days like yesterday. But tomorrow I have a work thing to do all day that should keep my mind concentrated and off food.

Last edited by Blood Sugar 101; 01-04-2010 at 02:53 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
DD here - finishing up just below 500 calories. I have the food I'm going to eat tomorrow planned but will have to weigh and package in the morning everything I take to work. Been behaving pretty well the past three days.

Sarah Fantastic progress!! You are really on a roll. Glad JUDDD is working well for you.

Sherry We're here to support you - we can do this together!

Quis I think I tried a packaged green shake for one of my DD's when I first started JUDDD. I don't do well with shakes, and it didn't work out well. I have been wanting to try Fawn's green shake that she has mentioned on the ML Is that the one you're referring to?

Snaggle I went almost a whole year once without weighing - I know the feeling. You know how forgiving JUDDD is - you'll lose in no time.

Jenny How disappointing that must have been to get such a crummy reading after your meal.

GrammyPat Hope you're recovered from your respiratory illness. I'm like you in that my biggest struggle is keeping UD's within range. I usually do well with DD's when I set my mind to it.

Still with us, Tim? Hope you're doing well.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
the big sport was, I kid you not, Ultimate Frisbee.
LOVE. ULTIMATE. FRISBEE! DH and I used to play on a co-ed team together. It is one of the hardest sports cardiovascular-wise as it's constant running. Love it! That's really neat about your son's friend on the Jets. I am not a football gal but I can appreciate that feat!

Glad your levels are calm now!

Sara - WOO HOO! Anytime the scale goes down we celebtrate. If it's a gain it's water, if it's a loss, it's fat, right?

Hi to those who are new and those returning. I agree, don't look back. Live in the present and hope for the best in the future! Take it one moment at a time.

UD for me today and I ate healthy foods and think I am done for the night. Tomorrow is a DD and i have to take the girls swimming by myself. I couldn't get them in the same time slots, so one is at 6 and the other at 7. Nightmare! Wish me luck! lol
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
LOVE. ULTIMATE. FRISBEE! DH and I used to play on a co-ed team together. It is one of the hardest sports cardiovascular-wise as it's constant running. Love it! That's really neat about your son's friend on the Jets. I am not a football gal but I can appreciate that feat!

Glad your levels are calm now!

Sara - WOO HOO! Anytime the scale goes down we celebtrate. If it's a gain it's water, if it's a loss, it's fat, right?

Hi to those who are new and those returning. I agree, don't look back. Live in the present and hope for the best in the future! Take it one moment at a time.

UD for me today and I ate healthy foods and think I am done for the night. Tomorrow is a DD and i have to take the girls swimming by myself. I couldn't get them in the same time slots, so one is at 6 and the other at 7. Nightmare! Wish me luck! lol
972122dtuadhvrq0.gif
Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fjeld
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeld View Post
Delurking to say:

Doing just one or two DD:s a week can be enough to lose weight and it can also be more tolerable (i e resulting in completed DD:s) than the alternate day approach. Personally I can fast/calorie restrict for one or two days a week, but every other day- never!

There seems to be a lot of value even in just one day of fasting/calorie restricting every week. One DD high in raw low calorie veggies for ex. should be equivalent to a one day veggie juice fast.

I did a DD yesterday and it amazes me how it regulates and fine-tunes my appetite the day after.

I think one real DD a week is a great accomplishment for anyone and far better than trying to do it every other day if it leads to giving up the benefits of intermittent calorie restriction altogether.

Quote:
I have been reading some of the older JUDDD threads and noticed you were posting back in Jan. on Maizen's thread. You posted a link of which I have copied the content and would like to share with our JUDDDers here. Please feel free to share your successes with JUDDD as you seem to be quite knowledgeable, and have had success. You say only one or two DD's a week is necessary. Is the calorie count pretty much the same; i.e., DD's 500/UD's 2000?

Okay here's the content from Matt Metzger:

"Intermittent Calorie Restriction

In the long run, diets don't work. In this study that I've mentioned previously, any of four diets (Atkins, Ornish, Zone, or Weight Watchers) led to only a 5 or 6 lb weight loss over a year's time. Other studies show the same result when they extend the time horizon out to a year or more.

In contrast, you can look at studies where calories were intermittently restricted and you see much better results. By intermittently restricted, I mean that calories are cut fairly low on some days with normal eating on the rest of the days. In the book, "The Alternate Day Diet", the idea is to restrict calories one day and have unlimited eating the next (as the title implies). Others recommend different frequencies as to how often calories should be reduced.

It's important to distinguish between intermittent calorie restriction and intermittent fasting. If intermittent fasting turns into eating a full day's calories in one meal, then there may not be much benefit. For example, if you look at studies on Ramadan fasting where a person fasts until evening but then has a large meal, there often isn't much change in body composition.

I think some of the intermittent fasting studies show benefits only because they indirectly restrict calories on fasting days. If a study has alternate-day fasting, then obviously a person will have no calories on one day. Or if someone fasts until 6 pm, it may be hard to eat enough calories as would normally be consumed in a day's eating.

In "The Alternate Day Diet", the author makes the case that the real benefits come from a 36-hour period of low calories. That is, eating much less one day and then sleeping on it. The benefits aren't dependent on not eating food for some many hours per se, as in one study subjects sipped on a protein shake throughout the day. It's the 36-hour period of low calories that triggers weight loss, and also lessens oxidative stress and inflammation.

What I wonder is why this approach is not more widely known. If you continually restrict calories, your metabolism will slow and the lost weight will come back. If you restrict calories every other day (or every third day or twice a week), then you can lose weight but the metabolism will not adapt and slow down.

It has to be easier psychologically to restrict calories only part-time as well. A lot of times on diets, people too much pressure on themselves and then they break down. With intermittent calorie restriction, you only have to control calories on some days, not all. This seems like a much more livable approach over the long term"
Hello Redeemed (and everyone else of course) Here's an answer to your post to me in last month's thread:

Thank you for posting that Matt Metzger post again, it's excellent I think.

What I wanted to say in my delurk post was that for me, just doing one or two DD:s a week, helps me lose and maintain the weight loss. If someone here has a problem doing it every other day, why not try once or twice a week and see how it works? One DD a week is 52 (!) DD:s a year, which is sure to have beneficial effects on both weight and health.

But I may have given the wrong impression when I delurked. If you read some of my earlier posts maybe you saw that I'm pretty much your "ordinairy" food abuser/addict and that I've been skipping from one WOE to another WOE for years trying to find something that will curb cravings, emotional eating etc etc etc. IF/ICR does work great for me but my problem with it has always been that I usually try and overdo it (if one or two days work so well just think how well three or four days would work!) and I end up not doing any IF/ICR for weeks or months. I'm also in a seemingly constant battle with myself whether to eat sugar or not which is incredibly tiring, frustrating and derailing all dietary efforts. Probably a pretty obvious decision to make considering my history with the stuff

I became pregnant in 2008 and had my baby late spring last year and so I had to get a grip on my eating behaviour (meaning eating and accepting all the weight I gained- and I gained over 55 pounds...) and apart from a few relapses, I did. Too many carbs but at least mainly no junk carbs.

While pregnant and during my babies first 6 months naturally I couldn't do DD:s. But now my little guy is also eating solids and I've decided to incorporate intermittent DD:s, having been stuck at 178 pounds for months despite nursing fulltime. Three intermittent DD:s so far in as many weeks and I'm down six-seven pounds with no detrimental effect on my milk supply.

In all my dietary confusion IF/ICR seems to clear things up a bit. It regulates my appetite, fine-tunes my tastebuds, sets free a lot of energy and means much less obsessing about food. And I lose weight.

Typically on a DD I'd eat 3-4 different kinds of veggies (for ex. a carrot, cucumber, a cup of spinach soup and half an apple) three meals a day. The first couple of times I measured about how many calories I consumed each DD but all together it never was more than 400-500 calories which is my DD limit, so now I never count.

If this post was too long and incoherent I'm blaming sleep deprivation, because when my little guy doesn't sleep, noone sleeps!
fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeld View Post
[/SIZE]

Hello Redeemed (and everyone else of course) Here's an answer to your post to me in last month's thread:

Thank you for posting that Matt Metzger post again, it's excellent I think.

What I wanted to say in my delurk post was that for me, just doing one or two DD:s a week, helps me lose and maintain the weight loss. If someone here has a problem doing it every other day, why not try once or twice a week and see how it works? One DD a week is 52 (!) DD:s a year, which is sure to have beneficial effects on both weight and health.

But I may have given the wrong impression when I delurked. If you read some of my earlier posts maybe you saw that I'm pretty much your "ordinairy" food abuser/addict and that I've been skipping from one WOE to another WOE for years trying to find something that will curb cravings, emotional eating etc etc etc. IF/ICR does work great for me but my problem with it has always been that I usually try and overdo it (if one or two days work so well just think how well three or four days would work!) and I end up not doing any IF/ICR for weeks or months. I'm also in a seemingly constant battle with myself whether to eat sugar or not which is incredibly tiring, frustrating and derailing all dietary efforts. Probably a pretty obvious decision to make considering my history with the stuff

I became pregnant in 2008 and had my baby late spring last year and so I had to get a grip on my eating behaviour (meaning eating and accepting all the weight I gained- and I gained over 55 pounds...) and apart from a few relapses, I did. Too many carbs but at least mainly no junk carbs.

While pregnant and during my babies first 6 months naturally I couldn't do DD:s. But now my little guy is also eating solids and I've decided to incorporate intermittent DD:s, having been stuck at 178 pounds for months despite nursing fulltime. Three intermittent DD:s so far in as many weeks and I'm down six-seven pounds with no detrimental effect on my milk supply.

In all my dietary confusion IF/ICR seems to clear things up a bit. It regulates my appetite, fine-tunes my tastebuds, sets free a lot of energy and means much less obsessing about food. And I lose weight.

Typically on a DD I'd eat 3-4 different kinds of veggies (for ex. a carrot, cucumber, a cup of spinach soup and half an apple) three meals a day. The first couple of times I measured about how many calories I consumed each DD but all together it never was more than 400-500 calories which is my DD limit, so now I never count.

If this post was too long and incoherent I'm blaming sleep deprivation, because when my little guy doesn't sleep, noone sleeps!
I appreciated your post and I have done 2 DD's per week in the past as well. I did it during maintenance but I bet some people would lose as well. We have very similar eating issues. I always debate between totally cutting out sugar and allowing myself some on UD's. I tell myself I should allow it or else I will think of nothing else and binge on it. But maybe I would, in fact be better off without it, and I use the other as an excuse to eat it (if that made any sense to anyone else I will be impressed)! lol
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

My impression reading the book was that I shouldn't be limiting the calories on the UD. I have been eating a fairly tight diet of no more than 1600 calories a day for a LONG time, and one of the things that appealed to me about this diet was that I hoped that it would make it possible to boost calories in a way that might get some of those hormones revved up without causing weight gain.

I am definitely eating a LOT on my UDs, but I'm not counting, because part of what I wanted was a break from obsessive concentration on everything I ate. I'm not gaining, and may even be losing a tiny bit, so far. But mostly I just wanted to shake things up a bit.

I have been doing very well on my usual diet for a long time, but it is one that requires a lot of control, which made this look like an interesting choice. I figure I can get up to 2400 calories on an upday and still end up on average eating LESS than I usually eat. I don't think I'm eating THAT much, but it's nice just to eat whatever I want on the UDs. I haven't eaten freely in many years except for last year at the holidays when both kids were here for a while and I managed to pack on a bunch of weight.

This time I hit January without gaining because I avoided overdoing it UNTIL I started this UD/DD thing.

It does feel a bit wacky to eat whatever I want all day long. That turns out to be a lot of odd things. I started out with a Chinese lunch (hot and sour soup and shredded pork and veggies), came home and for dinner ate four ounces of shrimp I hadn't eaten last night when my Sweetie defrosted it, followed that with some left over ham and cheese, and then a big serving of frozen spinach and finally half an orange and some chocolate covered almonds. I had a couple slices of fancy cheese later on and some sunflower seeds. Quite eclectic! The cravings reminded me almost of being preggers but suggest I'm not getting enough of something.

Last edited by Blood Sugar 101; 01-04-2010 at 06:18 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny If I don't monitor my calories on UD's I will surely gain. The 2000 calorie limit for UD's is just a guide. Just doing clean DD's will not result in weight loss for me. I really don't mind that much. Some UD's I don't feel I have had enough to eat, but most often I'm satisfied. Some people can eat a lot more calories on th eir UD's but others like Leo, have to limit their calories on UD's even more than I do.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-04-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Redeemed,

The last thing I want to do is get down to a weight I can't maintain eating an amount I can tolerate day to day. I'm already at a weight that takes very little to maintain, so it would be a bad idea for me to eat an average intake any lower than 1400 calories.

Since I started this diet my body temperature has risen a bit. I was extremely prone to cold before and have been so comfortable here this chilly winter in our not-very-warm house this past week it has amazed me. That and the relenting of the tendon pain were exactly what I was after.

But if I had to restrict calories on UDs then my average would be dropping into the danger zone and I'd be looking at regaining when I got back up to my 1400-1600 calorie a day regimen. That's the LAST thing I want to do to myself. I have to maintain at a level that doesn't make me feel deprived.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Well, made it successfully through DD#1 at 467 calories according to Daily Plate. I'm psyched!! Looking forward to an UD tomorrow....not gonna count calories but not binge either. I overdid UD's in the past and they did me in. Gonna try to just eat when hungry and watch portions (and try for no sugar). Tired and heading for bed.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

and I finished at 488, HOORAY--my first DD under 500--

So tell me about Moderate days--what do you consider a MD?? I can do a DD on Wednesday but then not again til Saturday and I want to throw one or two MD's in there, but don't want to drop too low or go too high--How do you guys do it?

Ouis
Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Quote:
Once a person has lost more than 10% of their body weight, their basal metabolic rate is going to be significantly lower than that of someone who weights the same but hasn't lost a lot of weight. So you will do a lot better long term if you accept that you probably won't be eating any 2,000 calories to maintain your weight loss, but far less.

One reason so many people regain after reaching goal is that no one tells them this unpalatable truth--certainly not the people who sell weight loss programs and gym memberships.

Get used to eating less and expect to keep eating less to maintain. Many of us have found we have to eat almost the same amount of calories to maintain as we did during the last months of our weight loss journey.
Oh I completely agree about the bmr being lower in a dieter. However, the problem is that many dieters are so preoccupied on trying to lose 'weight' rather than 'fat' that after the loss they don't realise that the reason their bmr has reduced is because of a lower muscle mass than a person who has not been on a diet! I think this is why strength training along with a diet plan would be the best plan of action if you want to keep the maximum amount of muscle. Then after the weight loss side of things is over, a muscle building program is advisable in order to gain new muscle and raise the bmr.

I have already accepted that I will always be prone to fat storage (dumb genetics!) and that cardio will have to be part of my routine to keep fat gain at bay forever but a calorie restriction forever is not necessary, well according to the writer of the burn the fat ebook . . .
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wallaby
Stats: 153/136/120
WOE: alternate day
Start Date: 01/09
Great stuff here! I'm lurking and feeling a little frustrated about having such a hard time getting into the groove. I know once it clicks in I'll be fine- and it's the late night munchies that are killing me at the moment. And the late night red wine. ...it's just that after the fam goes to bed and it's blissfully quiet I relax....and the eating starts. Still, I haven't reached the 2008 pre-JUDDD levels of overindulgence (it's absolutely true that JUDDD can cure the food addiction).

I'm going to go for a DD tomorrow. Wish me luck! (I'll try to check in here )
wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #118
Senior LCF member

Jenny-

You're right that the idea of the UD in the plan is to 'eat to satisfaction,' and the calculator numbers for calories are very generous. However, we're all in this for different reasons--and have unique challenges. You are doing it more for maintenance and to try to raise the calorie level that you can eat daily and maintain (as I understand it), whereas I have a very compromised metabolism and a lot of weight to lose.

That's the only reason that I restrict UDs, BUT my UDs are not anything I would not be comfortable doing in maintenance. That is, I generally eat 1400 to 1600 calories on UDs, and I am totally satisfied with that amount of food. If this plan allows me to raise my DD cals to about 700-800 for maintenance, I would have no trouble eating this way forever. I fully agree with you that while losing, we have to get to a place where we can maintain comfortably.

Sherrie-

That's terrific You're on your way! Just take it a day at a time, and soon you'll reap the benefits of this WOE.

Ouis-

I consider a MD to be the average of my DD/UD (since I count both days), so I usually try for 900-1000 cals on a MD--which is probably low for most people. I find that more difficult than a DD! I think it's because once I get beyond 400 cals (which I'm used to doing), I get into UD mode. It took my quite a while to get the knack of the MD, and it's still a struggle for some reason.

Wallaby-

Think of this as a 'process.' Many folks on this board reported difficulty with UDs when they began--too much sugar or junk food or night eating, etc. But what seemed to happen is that the habit of the DD began to affect UD eating naturally. Many reported naturally craving healthier food and developing control of bad eating habits. Just take this a day at a time and see what develops for you.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Great DD yesterday!

Hi everyone! Finished up less than 500 calories (90 of it was chewing gum!) which bloats my stomach - but HEY! at least I'm feeling full Congratulations Sherrie! You go Girl! That is so awesome....now remember the success and the feeling of accomplishment of your DD. It's a deposit in your memory bank, OK? and should help you with fuure difficult DD's. Now you know you can do it!! Hi Redeemed - good job with the DD and planning the UD for today. Would you believe I actually Googled 1500 calorie menus? so I got some ideas and wrote down my eating plan for today's UD. I used Jenny's calculator which gves me 1800 cals for the UD and 400 cals for the DD so I have some "fudge factor" (oh, I wish! ) built in. Good luck all on today's eating! It's nice having you guys to come too at the end of the day and check in with - so thanks for being here!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Redeemed,

The last thing I want to do is get down to a weight I can't maintain eating an amount I can tolerate day to day. I'm already at a weight that takes very little to maintain, so it would be a bad idea for me to eat an average intake any lower than 1400 calories.

Since I started this diet my body temperature has risen a bit. I was extremely prone to cold before and have been so comfortable here this chilly winter in our not-very-warm house this past week it has amazed me. That and the relenting of the tendon pain were exactly what I was after.

But if I had to restrict calories on UDs then my average would be dropping into the danger zone and I'd be looking at regaining when I got back up to my 1400-1600 calorie a day regimen. That's the LAST thing I want to do to myself. I have to maintain at a level that doesn't make me feel deprived.
That's the reason I like JUDDD - it's flexibility. We can use it to custom fit our lifestyles, preferences and appetite. I am hypothyroid, and the weight I have gained won't budge unless I monitor my calories. Even being optimally medicated on thyroid meds I have to watch my intake of calories. I am down one pound since Saturday. This is what I need to do. I'm glad you have gotten some relief from the tendon pain. Hey...pass some of that heat my way. I was cold all day yesterday. I have no tolerance to heat or cold; and I dang near froze yesterday!