Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
and mine was 674, sigh. guess it was better than 800 by a little. may have to try the not eating til evening thang.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Im re-reading Dr.Johnson's book right now...and he said the reason people stop losing on this diet is because they go over 500 calories on their DD's. Has nothing to do with UP's. Basically.

So be careful, DD's or DD's for a reason!
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulgrlsara View Post
Im re-reading Dr.Johnson's book right now...and he said the reason people stop losing on this diet is because they go over 500 calories on their DD's. Has nothing to do with UP's. Basically.

So be careful, DD's or DD's for a reason!

That is very true. He says the UD calories are not set in stone. You don't have to eat all of them, and you can even go over at times. I tend to eat when hungry and eat what I really want on UD's (more like Intuitive Eating if i were to label it). It's more the keeping under 500 on the DD's. That is why on maintenance, one can increase DD calories (I was able to increase my DD cals to 800-1,000) and I did not lose anything (didn't want to, hence the maintenance plan )

I am now back to 500 cal DD's for a bit just to repair holiday indulgences and to activitate SIRT1 again (if in fact, that part actually happens)!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

I know I am just starting out, but I have been keeping strictly under 500 cals on DD's and my up days I eat whatever I want...and to be honest with you, one of them was well over 3000 calories...and like I said , this morning I was 216, that's 7 pounds down in 6 days, granted, yes, mostly water weight in the beginning, but still. I am going to keep eating whatever I want on UD's, until weight loss stops, then I'll be a little more careful, sticking to under 2000 cals.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Im so concerned about my down day tomorrow. I am at a relatives house.....

I think Im going to try and have a fruit for breakfast and mainly veggies at dinner. I don't want anyone to know (yet) that Im on ANOTHER diet. Its starting to get embarrassing.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyCMC
Stats: 88kg/88kg/65kg
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 26 Jan 2004
I've been reading this thread with interest as I need something to jump start my weight loss. I've been low carbing for a couple of months now and actually weigh a little more than when I started. So I need to shake things up.

Do you girls low carb with this program? or do you not worry about it?

Do you reccomend buying the book?
KathyCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
I was going to do a MD today but ate enough yesterday that I didn't feel like eating anything this morning. So I decided to stick with the plan exactly as written for the first two weeks since I'm doing so well.

My sore elbow DOES feel a lot better, and though it is hard to know if it is the diet or just normal healing, the fact is it was very painful until I started this diet 8 days ago.

So today will be a DD and tomorrow I will go out for lunch as a treat. I am surprised at how much I'm liking this diet.

Yesterday my blood sugars rollercoasted at one point (going up and then plunging way down) and I found myself hungry, but I immediately noticed that the carb-caused blood sugar hunger felt ENTIRELY different from the kind of stomach hunger I feel on DDs. It really stuck out to me since I've had 4 days of observing the other kind of hunger.

I also noticed that the blood sugar hunger is MUCH harder to resist, which is probably because it is the brain worrying that it is going to run out of fuel. I only noticed this as I was stuffing my face in response but it took the subject from conceptual (something I knew in my mind) to visceral (something I knew in my gut.)

Very interesting indeed.

Last edited by Blood Sugar 101; 01-03-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #68
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ouis-

You're right that the DD suppresses the appetite, and I usually wake on an UD not particularly hungry. However, I like to eat before I swim (2 hours before), so I have a high protein breakfast, and that usually stimulates my appetite for the rest of the day. I don't want it too 'stimulated,' as I have to watch calories even on UDs

If you're hypothyroid, Ouis, you definitely need to get bloodwork done ASAP. You've mentioned doing Kimkims, and I've noticed that low calorie eating tends to suppress T3, which controls weight loss/gain.

For example, a couple of years ago when I was losing on standard low carb, I suddenly experienced overwhelming fatigue and gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks--still eating low carb, low calories. I was frantic and never suspected my thyroid, since I was medicated. Fortunately, I had one of my regular blood tests scheduled for the following week, and my T3 was below the lab's lowest parameter. My endo gave me Cytomel (T3) which I've been taking ever since.

Your T3 may not be that low, but I find that if my T3 goes to the bottom third of the lab results, I cannot lose weight at all. Be sure that you have a doctor who tests T3 and will prescribe if you're low. It's a relatively new protocol, and some doctors don't even test T3. (My sister was going to a well-known, popular endo in her area, and he refused to test T3.)The belief is that your body converts T4 to T3, so only the T4 level is important. But they've found out that most hypos eventually convert less and less, so that they need supplemental T3.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #69
Senior LCF member

EmandM-

I'm glad you shared Mammapo's tips for newcomers to JUDDD, but I want to add my caveat. Beware of following someone else's WOE because it could be disaster for you. That is, be aware that you should consider what others advise, but it might not be right for you.

For example, it would be torture for me to 'save up' my calories for an evening meal, since I do best when I can eat 'snacks' during the day; although, on occasion, I haven't been at all hungry and waited to eat. I live alone and don't have to cook for a family, so I know that my system may not work for others. It's most important to learn how your body works best and how you can integrate this WOE into your lifestyle.

Also, the example of having an 'apple' would spell disaster for me. I need to eat very low carb, and I eat no fruit. An apple would send me into ravenous hunger, so you need to consider your own physical situation in dealing with DDs.

In addition, it's nice to consider subtracting workouts to add calories on DDs, but I never do that because my metabolism is so compromised that it's impossible to know how many calories I'm using when I swim. It's much easier for me just to eat 350-400 cal. each DD and only work out on UDs.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #70
Senior LCF member

Jenny-

I've noticed that my DD hunger is not unpleasant, so that may be the situation you're describing in terms of blood sugar? There's a sense in that DD hunger of being 'purified,' if that makes any sense, and I don't feel impelled to eat just because I'm experiencing that feeling.

As to the calculator. I've never following Dr. J's UD recommendations because I already knew that I had to keep my daily (combination of DD/UD), calories to 1000 or less in order to lose. His calculations give me DD# as 430 and since that was lower than his stipulated 500, I started there, and now I have between 350 and 400 cals per DD. My UD are about 1400-1600.

I've also found that an occasional (once a month or less) high calorie UD (say 2000-2500) improves my loss for some reason. I suspect it just breaks up the 'routine' for my body and my jog my thyroid hormones a little. However, if I ate to that number on all UDs, I'd be gaining rapidly
Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
EmandM-

I'm glad you shared Mammapo's tips for newcomers to JUDDD, but I want to add my caveat. Beware of following someone else's WOE because it could be disaster for you. That is, be aware that you should consider what others advise, but it might not be right for you.

For example, it would be torture for me to 'save up' my calories for an evening meal, since I do best when I can eat 'snacks' during the day; although, on occasion, I haven't been at all hungry and waited to eat. I live alone and don't have to cook for a family, so I know that my system may not work for others. It's most important to learn how your body works best and how you can integrate this WOE into your lifestyle.

Also, the example of having an 'apple' would spell disaster for me. I need to eat very low carb, and I eat no fruit. An apple would send me into ravenous hunger, so you need to consider your own physical situation in dealing with DDs.

In addition, it's nice to consider subtracting workouts to add calories on DDs, but I never do that because my metabolism is so compromised that it's impossible to know how many calories I'm using when I swim. It's much easier for me just to eat 350-400 cal. each DD and only work out on UDs.
Absolutely. Excellent points, Leo. Thanks for adding them in for the newcomers!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo--you are a gem! I do need my thryoid tested--I have been hypo since I was 27 (am now 55)--and I confess I have not been tested in 3-4 years--I do take .5mcg cytomel in addition to L-thyroxine, but something must be wacked because I am a reliable and compulsive journaler of my food and exercise, and I should by now be as thin as a rail. I am also interested in your statement that hypos need to watch the exercise, because I work out pretty hard. I plan to make an appt tomorrow to get my numbers.

******* may indeed have had a negative effect on my thyroid, because it was impossible not to gain weight when I went back to Atkins, but to tell you the truth, two years later, too much fat turns into fat for me--everybody at LCF trumpets the benefits of fat--and dammit, it does NOT work for me. My body seems to be incredibly sensitive to calories, and if you ask me, my body violates the rules of physics on a regular basis.

So I had a down day yesterday--better than my previous efforts, but maybe? room for progress. I downloaded his book onto my kindle and read it last night--probably could have saved the 10 bucks, because this board has all the info. The one area I am confused--according to his calculator, I need 737 cals on my DD's to lose--but I was reading elsewhere about staying under 500 cals. I used moderate rather than intense exercise--because he said to use a lower category than you think. What do the experts think? Should I try 700 as my target number? or should I use 500?

Everyone has been so helpful here. I so appreciate you all. It is an up day for me, and I am waiting for a little bit of hunger in order to start eating--I eat LC and am going out for dinner tonight, so am looking forward to a delicious steak!

Happy Sunday!

Ouis
Old 01-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Leo,

The DD hunger is basically stomach contractions (pangs). The blood sugar hunger is a sudden onset obsessive need to eat that doesn't involve the stomach but feels extremely intense. It's what is often described as "the munchies" and the more you eat in response to it the hungrier you get.

When my blood sugar deteriorated dramatically (after a course of prednisone in my late 40s) I had that kind of crazy hunger for a year and gained 30 lbs. I think a lot of people with diabetes are as heavy as they are because of it. It is almost impossible to fight with will alone.

Cutting carbs dramatically will eliminate it unless a person doesn't have enough insulin capacity left to fully control blood sugar, which is my situation now.

Stomach pang hunger calls attention to itself but not in the same way and if I throw something bulky down the hatch, it shuts up.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jenny--let me ask you this--I have noticed a 72 hour cycle for that kind of hunger, even when lowcarbing--actually seems to have to do with dropping calories for an extended length of time, so I have thought it was gherlin or the like, kicking up a fuss--I can predict that on the 3rd or 4th day of dropping calories, I will have an insatiable urge to eat--that has nothing to do with hunger.

My BG has always been just fine, so I have considered this some kind of homeostasis response. Have you noticed anything like this? I also notice that it takes 3-4 days to show any weight gain from overeating (I am not including carb bloat), and often the same 3-4 days to show any weight loss (back when I used to lose weight, lol)--often right before a weight drop, I would experience this insatiable hunger. There is a distinct pattern, and knowing about it has certainly given me some tools, but I am interested in what you think drives this response.

TIA

Ouis
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis,

I don't personally experience what you describe when I cut calories to a normal LC weight loss level. As long as my blood sugars are flat, I'm fine. But that's me. You do experience it so there must be some explanation.

There are so many hunger related hormones besides ghrelin, including adiponectin, leptin and AMP-Kinase (a very interesting substance that doesn't get discussed enough). Also PYY and CPP which impact the hypothalamus, the regulator of appetite. There are the gut incretin hormones that control stomach emptying too--GLP1 and GIP which are also active on the hypothalamus.

I have put some time into researching this but what I come away with is a huge respect for how complex the system is and how poorly served we are by the people writing those easy-fix diet books that only pay attention to one factor at a time.

In fact, our bodies are carefully designed to maintain fat stores and recover from famine and if you joggle one element a bunch of others kick in. I do not come away from my research with any "miracle diet" solution to give the world.

In a related note I have noticed all my life that it takes a week for me to see changes in my weight related to cutting food intake. I have no explanation, that's just how my body works.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #76
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

I definitely think you might need more Cytomel. I currently take 15mcg. daily, and my T3 still isn't where I'd like it. But my endo worries about the TSH and won't give me more--in fact, I had to convince him to add the final 5 mcg., and he warned me to watch for hyper symptoms. There weren't any because I really needed those 5 mcg., as he finally realized when he saw the next blood tests.

I don't eat the 'high fat' that is touted here either. When I first did Atkins in the mid-70s, I don't recall anything about 'adding' fat--just to deal with what naturally occurred in the mayo, butter, etc. Like you, I have to watch calories carefully (I think that's from the metabolic slowdown of hypo), and although I don't eat 'low fat,' I certainly count everything and watch my fat because it's so calorie dense.

About two years ago, I had some digestive problems the caused me to eat very low fat for a while, and I stayed with low carb and didn't notice any negative effects from eating that way.

Are you sure you did the calculator correctly? You weigh less than I do, and my DD # is only 430. I recall that there's a conversion necessary on the site--from kilos to pounds or something like that when you put in your stats. Perhaps you didn't do that? Most people get a number below 500 or close to that.

You are absolutely right on about weight gain or loss not showing up "immediately." I get so tired of folks on the Main Lobby writing that they did x, y, or z the night before and lost (or gained) 4 lbs. Except for water retention, the gain or loss from what we eat takes at least 48 hrs. to show on the scale and often (for us slow metabolizers) longer. I never weigh more than once a week and regard that number as solely for tracking purposes rather than my absolute weight (which is not a stable number for anyone).
Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Out of lurking mode: my plan

Ok....tomorrow I stop lurking and start participating with you fine folks. I have learned so much from all of you and hope to learn even more about how/why my body responds to foods in this WOE. Also hope to learn to deal with my own "food issues" as I go.

Setting very simple but exact short term goals for myself as I start here. Initially my goal is to complete two weeks of true alternation with DD's at 500 or less as prescribed by Dr. J for induction. I am not going to pay attention to what I eat on UD's except to try and cut out the sugar. I'm also going to try very hard to stay off the scale after my official weigh-in tomorrow morning until 1/15 after I've completed my 6th DD. That may be my biggest challenge of all, as I'm usually on the scale twice/day when "dieting". I will re-evaluate at that point and then decide for a plan with JUDD ongoing.

I've tried this two times before and only been successful for two weeks (barely) each time....and never did accomplish true alternation for that time frame. I really want this to work this time and do whatever's necessary to keep it going. My doctor is advising a weight loss of 4-5lb/month, which I think for me should be quite doable with JUDD. Being 60lb lighter next year at this time sounds wonderful, and although I still won't be at 200lb (where he wants me to be before he'll do my knee replacement)...I'll be well on my way to Onederland.

I am definitely a food addict....so gonna approach this one day at a time....baby steps. Hopefully I'll be able to deal with my emotional eating as well, as I deal with DD's and food issues. Not anxious to get on that scale tomorrow morning...this last week has been crazy and a carb fest. I'm expecting DD#1 to be a killer....but DETERMINED!!!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html

Last edited by onceNforall; 01-03-2010 at 12:12 PM..
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Welcome!

Im the same with every diet, I give it my all for 2 weeks, lose 10ish pounds, go back to normal and gain 15 back. Story of my life.

That is why, today, my planned DD, and I am visiting out of down at a relatives house, I am still DETERMINED to make it a DD. I have had an apple so far, and will just relay extra caution at dinner. I was going to make it a MD, but I really really want to stick to true alternation. No more excused. I have blocked myself and sabbotaged myself too many times. I am determined to lose this weight by bathing suit season.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo--you are correct. My downday calories are 454. Crap. Today is an Up day and I am having a hard time eating, so I have been concentrating on calorie dense food ( a lot of half n half in my coffee lol!)--my "normal" calories according to the JUDDD site are 2269--I don't see any way I can do that, but I will do normal for me (1200-1400) and REALLY try hard tomorrow. I am thinking it would help to eliminate coffee creamer and supplements like fish oil on my down days and just save those calories for food. I am planning tomorrow's dd food--it might be difficult--I am a psychologist and I see patients til late evening some days--but I am determined, and if my patients don't mind a little tummy growling, I guess it will be ok

Once'n'forall, welcome--I am so impressed with how kind and informative everyone on this board is.

Ouis
Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

I don't count my fish oil or multi's during DD's but only because I never thought to. Does anyone else count those towards their cals? I imagine my 5 ml of fish oils adds to my overall calories! lol

Sherrie - I was a daily weigher too and I stopped all of that. It's hard though. I can really tell based on how my clothes fit, but I still weigh once a week or even once every two weeks (I sometimes forget). SO you can get to the point where you aren't weighing daily.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #81
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

I take fish oil, too, and I find that I often eliminate them on DDs to save the calories! Ignore the UD amount on the JUDDD calculator. Even Dr. J admits that it's not useful (I don't know why he included it). I do 400/1400 as my calorie allotment, although sometimes my UDs get to 1600. I also find that about once a month, a high UD (like 2000) will help me lose. I think it has to do with the thyroid--i.e., making sure my body doesn't get used to those low calories and thereby suppressing T3 too much.

I envy you those late nights with patients. I'm retired, and I find DDs easier if I'm busy with something, so working with your patients should actually help you. Kisha has reported that when she has to be out in the evenings (not staying home after work), she has an easier time on DDs, so take heart; it might be a blessing.

Sherrie-

You CAN do this!! No one was more of a food addict than me, but JUDDD literally cured it--although it took longer than 2 weeks. I think that if you stay on plan, you'll experience all sorts of revelations about your food issues--at least I did. For example, my DDs showed me how much I was eating for "entertainment," and it became easy to cut out that type of eating once I understood what was going on.

Please try to stick to your goal of NOT weighing for the first two weeks. I think that will help you a lot--the DDs are effective, so you should see a nice drop after 2 weeks, and nothing is more inspiring than seeing the scale go down

After that, you might do what I do. Pick the day after a DD to weigh yourself once a week, and then record that weight on a chart (I use a calendar for convenience). This way you can see the trend down because only losing a pound a week can get discouraging (to me at least), but seeing the steady loss kept me going. It's also a way to see the pattern of your loss. For example, once I noticed that at least one week each month I would not lose, I didn't get too discouraged when that happened in subsequent months.

Good luck--I'm rooting for you

Last edited by Leo41; 01-03-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

This is my 5th DD and it is TOUGH. Much tougher than the others.

Not sure why, but I'm feeling exhausted and have been annoyingly aware of wanted to eat all day. Probably some of it is the "End of the holidays" thing. I have to get back to work on something really tough tomorrow and I'm kind of dreading it, which probably has something to do with it.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hang in there, Jenny!
If there is one thing I have learned from this woe, it is that some dd's are way easier than others, and there is usually no rhyme nor reason to it.
Like Leo, I find a glass of hot herbal tea helps a lot.
That, and repeating the JUDDD mantra, "I can have it tomorrow!"
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulgrlsara View Post
Welcome!

Im the same with every diet, I give it my all for 2 weeks, lose 10ish pounds, go back to normal and gain 15 back. Story of my life.

That is why, today, my planned DD, and I am visiting out of down at a relatives house, I am still DETERMINED to make it a DD. I have had an apple so far, and will just relay extra caution at dinner. I was going to make it a MD, but I really really want to stick to true alternation. No more excused. I have blocked myself and sabbotaged myself too many times. I am determined to lose this weight by bathing suit season.
I hear you....I'm the queen of sabotage. Let me rephrase that....I WAS the queen of sabotage. Hope you made your DD away from home...that's challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post

Once'n'forall, welcome--I am so impressed with how kind and informative everyone on this board is.

Ouis
Thanks, Ouis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

Sherrie-

You CAN do this!! No one was more of a food addict than me, but JUDDD literally cured it--although it took longer than 2 weeks. I think that if you stay on plan, you'll experience all sorts of revelations about your food issues--at least I did. For example, my DDs showed me how much I was eating for "entertainment," and it became easy to cut out that type of eating once I understood what was going on.

Please try to stick to your goal of NOT weighing for the first two weeks. I think that will help you a lot--the DDs are effective, so you should see a nice drop after 2 weeks, and nothing is more inspiring than seeing the scale go down

After that, you might do what I do. Pick the day after a DD to weigh yourself once a week, and then record that weight on a chart (I use a calendar for convenience). This way you can see the trend down because only losing a pound a week can get discouraging (to me at least), but seeing the steady loss kept me going. It's also a way to see the pattern of your loss. For example, once I noticed that at least one week each month I would not lose, I didn't get too discouraged when that happened in subsequent months.

Good luck--I'm rooting for you
Thanks, Leo....I plan on weighing once/week after the first two weeks of induction. I also graph my weight weekly cause I'm a visual person and that gives me a good sense of which direction I'm moving in and my patterns. Can't wait to get started!!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
KathyCMC 651171i085p8my3i.gif

Sherry Welcome Back!

DD yesterday went well at 500 calories. Today my UD calories were 2100. I'm still hungry but know I need to stop. I would not do well with an intuitive eating plan because I always feel like eating. :blush: 18 below zero this morning. Burrrrrrrr.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone!

I made it through my 4th and most challenging (away from home) DD ever!!!!!

I had:

12pm : apple

4pm: 2 chunks of yam, 1/2 cup carrots, 1 cup steamed broccoli and 2 oz of cooked ham

7pm: 10 calorie vitamin drink

Wooo hooo! Im not exactly sure how many calories were in my dinner, but everything was prepared without oil and butter, except for the ham was basted in corn syrup (yikes) but I ate a small piece and cutt off the skin.

Tomorrow I weigh in for my 1 week of Judding results! Im super excited!

Oh, and i did 20 min turbo jam today and Jillian Micheals level 1 shred.

For once my tummy isn't growling too badly at bed time either.

Question: are severe headaches common? I mean severe! I seem to be down and out with headaches for at least an hour each day...and yes I am drinking well enough water.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistydisa
Stats: 224/199/150
WOE: Hhcg
Start Date: Sept. 30, 2010
Just wanted to add a quick post to let y'all know I haven't dropped off the planet. I've not had a DD in about 6 weeks, so I avoided this board so that I wouldn't feel so guilty about it. :blush: I'm with Sherrie--tomorrow is my first DD back on plan! I dread it but look forward to it at the same time. Welcome, newbies! Hope everyone had a fabulous holiday season!
mistydisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Today is my first DD from the holidays

Hi everyone, I've been traveling and am home now and ready for a long overdue DD! Am coming off of 6 UD's in a row! oh good grief! So Misty and Sherrie, today is my DD to start off the New Year too! The plan: 2 eggbeaters (60 cals) + 2 turkey bacon (50 cals) at 110 for breakfast. Lunch: 2 GG crisps (24 cals) + 2 wedges Laughing Cow cheese (70 cals) + 8 pcs. turkey pepperoni (32 cals) + 2 pickle slices (0 cals ?) = 126; 2 cups sweet/sour chicken broth (20 cals) and dinner is breakfast again at 110. Total: 366 for the day plus lots of water, which I've neglected to drink too. Leo, congratulations on ONEDERLAND! I haven't gotten on the scale yet to assess the damage (I'm too afraid) so I'll wait until Thursday after a couple of DD's under my belt to see where I'm at. And I'm going back to work today so that will make the DD easier too! I am definitely looking forward to this DD! But, one of my lessons learned from last year's mistakes: plan the UD too! so today I need to concoct a menu at 1800 cals (using Jenny's calculator) for tomorrow's UD, and to be honest, I have trouble with that! DD's are a lot easier for me - go figure!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #89
Senior LCF member

Sara-

I don't know about your headaches because I've never experienced any negative effects from JUDDD. I hope someone else will chime in if they've had headaches from this plan. You haven't given up caffeine recently, have you? That's the only time I got headaches (in the distant past; I'm totally caffeinated now).

Misty-

Good to see you back! I know that a DD is often a 'relief.' I posted just after Christmas that I'd planned for 3 UDs because I'd be visiting my sister and didn't think a DD was possible, but I actually did one after two UDs because my body was screaming for it. That was a nice experience--and my most effortless DD all year.

GrammyPat-

Your DD menu sounds delicious--and filling. I need to get more creative with mine. Today I started with an eggwhite/spinach 'omelet' for 50 cal., with my fish oil adding another 20. I've made sardines smooshed with mustard and hot sauce for later at 130 cal. And I hope to end with just some sweet/sour broth for another 30.

I miss my GG crispbread crackers and may go back to them because they were such a big help to me on DDs, but I think I'm gluten sensitive, and they're probably not good for my intestines, so I'm trying to stay grain free.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Happy New Year Judders! It seems that the rich christmas and new years food left its mark on me despite 4 good down days. I am up 0.8 pounds! I think its likely to be water weight as I have been eating wheat bread which makes me retain like crazy. I'm purchasing a body fat monitor to track my losses and make sure that it is fat that I'm losing and not muscle and water.

After I reach my goal weight I want to be one of those people who can eat normally (about 2000 cals) and not gain. The only way to do that is to have high muscle mass right? So if I notice that I am starting to lose muscle regularly then I will increase my dd calories while reducing the up ones to create the same deficit. It's a plan but will have to monitor for a couple of weeks to see if it is yielding results.

In any case, it's definitely time for me to start counting my ud calories. I'm pretty sure I get to 3000 some days and personally I think, it defeats the purpose of dds if I am literally making up for it the following day! May as well be eating 1500 on dd's and 2000 on ud's but that won't create the deficit I require!

I have been reading that popular ebook 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle'. Its written by a bodybuilder but directed at anyone who's overweight and trying to lose fat. Body builders get their fat percentages down to single digits 4%-6% so they certainly know how to lose fat while retaining musle and because of the muscle those guys have they need put away 3000-4000 cals per day just to retain! Obviously I dont want to be ripped or anything but certainly I don't want to lose muscle like you would on a basic low fat diet after which you would regain at super speed and be left with a slower metabolism due to the lost muscle! Anyway, the ebook is a good read if you really want to understand fat loss as opposed to weight loss.

Sorry to babble on. Happy judding until my next weigh in day 12/01.

Last edited by tami73; 01-04-2010 at 06:09 AM..
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote