Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #661
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Ouis-
I think you're right on about "enjoying the journey." This is especially true with JUDDD. Although I certainly wish I could lose faster, I find that the insights into my food issues that I get with JUDDD are invaluable. The entire process feels "therapeutic" to me. I find that I'm not at all eager for it to be 'over.' In addition, since I have to fight my body for every pound, I am more determined never to see that scale go back up--at all.

Kisha-
I know that feeling of mourning the end of an UD. What I've found helpful in not dreading the DD is experimenting with different foods. This is dangerous because it's easier to remain low calorie by eating the same things every DD, but I've found by trying something new, it helps me 'look forward' to the DD a little.
Good Suggestion Leo! Perhaps I'll peruse the WW recipe thread or google for JUDD recipes to get something exciting and new to try. I'm grocery shopping after work anyways so this will work out!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #662
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
I am in a state of "stuckness" this week, which I expected, since the wt was going a little fast a couple weeks ago, I will still average a pound a week, that is comforting.
EmandM-sorry about your dad, my mom had parkinson's the last 20 years of her life, and did pretty well, she died at 91 from a perforated intestine-nothing to do with the Parkinson's. She was still perking around and keeping her house and taking care of other people until the last couple years.
I am also doing some grieving this week because the lead guitar player in my band has also been diagnosed with Parkinson's-I just hope the medicines will do well for him and he can keep playing music, it is his total life, and would be hard to give up. He is also a cowboy, and will probably have to make some tough decisions about not living alone out in the country, but we'll see. I think the MDs have come a long way since my Mom was diagnosed.
Snaggle, I also took a hiatus last fall and went to the "6 week cure for the middle aged middle"-and didn't lose any weight, even though it was lowcarb-perhaps because most of my fat is surface fat not core fat-but I did learn something about avoiding polyunsaturated fat-I am going to try those core measurements again in a few months and see if they have changed any. I was sure relieved to get back to JUDDD-also learned something about trying new wt loss ideas, I've done that for years and always had to come back to some kind of lowcarb-my own personal metabolism, I guess.
Anyway, I sure like this way of eating and sure appreciate the people who post on this site, I don't answer/comment on everything, I am not the best with computers, lots of things I haven't learned to do. But want you all to know I am grateful for all of you.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #663
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
DD today and it's becoming hard...not because I'm especially hungry....just feeling stressed. It's snowing hard and of course we're all stuck inside. I did get out this morning before it started and got in a really good workout. 5 miles on the elliptical and 20 minutes of upper body work on the machines. Felt great! I've just felt stressed, and it seems to be mostly from my house being a wreck. Think I"ll get up and do something about that! at least that IS something I can do something about and it keeps me busy and my mind off of food.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
EmandM-sorry about your dad, my mom had parkinson's the last 20 years of her life, and did pretty well, she died at 91 from a perforated intestine-nothing to do with the Parkinson's. She was still perking around and keeping her house and taking care of other people until the last couple years.
I am also doing some grieving this week because the lead guitar player in my band has also been diagnosed with Parkinson's-I just hope the medicines will do well for him and he can keep playing music, it is his total life, and would be hard to give up. He is also a cowboy, and will probably have to make some tough decisions about not living alone out in the country, but we'll see. I think the MDs have come a long way since my Mom was diagnosed.

Nitenurse - thank you. Thank you so much for sharing this - it is very comforting for me. I really hope my dad does as well as your mom. Like your friend, my dad's life is running, skiing, gardening etc, so the thought of him being unable to do these thing breaks my heart. He is 63 and in superb shape so I really hope the disease is very slow progressing. Sounds like your mom did amazingly well. I am sorry for your friend.
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #665
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
EmandM-

My experience has been that the better shape a person is in when illness strikes, the better they do. I think your father really has an edge, since he's so active. And from my perspective, he's also a young man (I'm 68), and that helps, too.

I truly wish the best for him.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #666

Hanging in there...

Man this Friday afternoon is dragging by! We're having cake with the office at four PM
Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Finished a good DD today...

Good DD today....dinner was cabbage cooked in a little chicken broth until soft and topped with 2 tsps parmesan cheese and 8 pcs. of turkey pepperoni cut up into little pieces. Fixed the same thing for my DH only his had butter on it and lots more parmesan. But my dinner calories were only 50 (2 cups cabbage) + 20 (cheese) and 32 (pepperoni) = 102 and I'm really satisfied! So volume and protein really helps. Am looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in as well. Good luck Kisha and Leo. Good luck Redeemed - please check back and let us know how you are (love those graphics!), OK?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #668

TOMORROW WEIGH IN!!

Here's to awesome Saturday Morning weigh ins for all of us!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #669

Putting a Bow on my DD

Its stormy so I'm staying in with Panda tonight... just had a satisfying dinner and 2 squares of Black & Green 85% Dark chocolate... Yum!

DD Totals for today:

444 calories 20 g carbs

Great DD!
Now I might just have to put myself to sleep early LOL.

WEIGH IN TOMORROW
Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #670
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
My dd ended up a MD, but I think working out the way I did this morning (5 miles on the elliptical and 20 minutes upper body, did not lend itself to a successful dd. I just couldn't do it. By the time dinner was ready tonight (vegetable beef soup and cornbread) I was irritable and just simply couldn't NOT eat it. I ate but that was the first thing I had had today. definitely ate more than my allotted dd calories but not an UD. We're getting blasted with snow and I am SO not happy about it. It's pretty though.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #671
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

No loss last week, but clearly it just didn't show on the scale because this morning, I'm down 3 lbs--to 191.5!

That's 8.5 lbs for the month--double my usual loss, and I'm wondering whether my "primal" eating is responsible or just an effect of long-term JUDDD. Whatever it is, I'm hoping it will continue.

As most of you know, in recent months, I've eliminated all grains, dairy, and artificial sweeteners. I eat simply--fish, meat, eggs, veggies--and almond butter for a 'treat'--but I feel great eating this way.

I'm eager to go down because I never want to see 200 again. Keep in mind that I have a 2-week cruise coming up this month, and that's going to be a challenge in terms of maintaining and not gaining. I'm sure it can be done, and I'm determined to do it.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 AM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
One pesky pound gone!

Hooray! pesky pound is gone and am back down to my pre-Christmas weight (prior to my 12 UD's of Christmas!). Am working more to stay low carb within my calories on UD's and I think it's helping.

Congratulations Leo on a 3-lb. loss! I'm sure your primal WOE is responsible for a large part of it, along with JUDDD simply because you're not loading your body with chemicals that it has to process (and it is inflamed while it's processing them). Having been on cruises in the past, I can confirm that there are plenty of whole fruits and veggies to eat, along with fish. Also, they are only too happy to cook food for you per your request! They cater to many different WOE's i.e. vegetarian, vegan, low sodium, etc. so you will still have the opportunity to eat the way you do now - if you want! But the whole point is to relax on the cruise, see cities you've never seen before, read books, walk alot, meet other people etc. The food part will take care of itself, you know? and you have so much self-discipline and control, I don't think it's going to be scarey or hard for you at all! I think you're going to have a blast!!! I'm expecting you to report back afterwards with a maximum 2.5 lb. weight gain if that!!! Where are you going?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #673
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Quote:
Weekly Weigh In

No loss last week, but clearly it just didn't show on the scale because this morning, I'm down 3 lbs--to 191.5!

That's 8.5 lbs for the month--double my usual loss, and I'm wondering whether my "primal" eating is responsible or just an effect of long-term JUDDD. Whatever it is, I'm hoping it will continue.

As most of you know, in recent months, I've eliminated all grains, dairy, and artificial sweeteners. I eat simply--fish, meat, eggs, veggies--and almond butter for a 'treat'--but I feel great eating this way.

I'm eager to go down because I never want to see 200 again. Keep in mind that I have a 2-week cruise coming up this month, and that's going to be a challenge in terms of maintaining and not gaining. I'm sure it can be done, and I'm determined to do it.
Congratulations on the loss Leo! Wow, it seems the primal eating is really working for you. You will most likely never see 200 again if you keep going as you are! I've never had almond butter, does it taste like peanut butter only made with almonds or is it an actual oil?

Disaster yesterday, my eliptical cross trainer decided to break down on me. It's been a bit weird making strange noises since I bought it a couple of weeks ago but I just ignored it. Yesterday it would not move at all (as if it was on the highest resistance even though its not). I assume that the wheel is getting caught on something. Anyway I have emailed the company I bought it off for a replacement. Hopefully it will arrive early next week. In the meantime though, I will just do weight training ever day until it arrives. I know it's not healthy to do weights daily but I just don't know what else I can do. The weather does not allow for running outside (not to mention that I have a 6 month old to take care of at home).

At the same time I am dropping my calories by 100 to 1800 for up days and 1000 for down days until I can start cardio again . . .
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #674
Senior LCF member

GrammyPat-
Congratulations on getting back to your pre-Christmas weight. I know that makes you feel good, and I'm sure low carb is helping.

I agree with you about cruises--this is my 7th, but the first one since I've been doing JUDDD. I'm going to Hawaii, out of LA. It's four days at sea, 4 islands, and then 4 days back to LA. I love days at sea for the relaxation, and I'm traveling with a good friend who is also a reader, so between us we'll have plenty of books to keep us happy.

What has worried me is not being able to do a real DD, but I decided to experiment with JUDDD maintenance, so I plan to aim for 800 cal DD and 1400 UD, and I really think that's do-able because, as you point out, it's relatively easy to get anything you want on a cruise. Based on my other cruise experiences, I also think that I can continue to eat 'primal.' So my hope is that I'll return the same weight as when I left [fingers crossed].

Tami-
The almond butter I buy is just almonds, no additives at all. It's not as 'tasty' as peanut butter; much milder, but it works for me. I also tried macadamia nut butter, but that was too tasteless for me.

Too bad about your elliptical, but I would not do consecutive days with weights. Your muscles need time to rest/heal, and alternate days is recommended by every exercise physiologist I know. It won't hurt to take a few days off from cardio--really.

When I had cataract surgery, I was not allowed to work out for a month, and I not only lost weight during that month, but when I returned to swimming, I had the same stamina and endurance as before. I've had both eyes done, and I had the same experience the second time.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #675
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Leo and Grammy Pat! Woo hoo!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #676
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: robsmom2
Hi All Still hanging in there weighed in at 138 this week gained 2 pounds however I am still ok with that want to reach a new goal but not stressing about If it happens great If not thats great too I love the health benefits I have recieved so will be JUDDDING as a WOE for now Take care everyone ONWARD AND DOWNWARD Mary JO
robsmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #677
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mammapo
Stats: 184.4/168/140
Start Date: 1/9/ 2009. paused 2/2010. restart 10/30/2011
Quote:
Ouis-
I think you're right on about "enjoying the journey." This is especially true with JUDDD. Although I certainly wish I could lose faster, I find that the insights into my food issues that I get with JUDDD are invaluable. The entire process feels "therapeutic" to me. I find that I'm not at all eager for it to be 'over.' In addition, since I have to fight my body for every pound, I am more determined never to see that scale go back up--at all.

Kisha-
I know that feeling of mourning the end of an UD. What I've found helpful in not dreading the DD is experimenting with different foods. This is dangerous because it's easier to remain low calorie by eating the same things every DD, but I've found by trying something new, it helps me 'look forward' to the DD a little.

Funny you should mention these points:

Yesterday I had a bit of an epiphany on both ends...

I suddenly said to my husband... "you know, this time last year I was 10 pounds heavier than I am now." - now keep in mind that for every year before last, I'd either sworn to lose weight and instead just maintained... or sworn to at least maintain and had gained!!! So this statement is a BIGGY, with a capital B.

This time last year.... I WAS (!) POUNDS HEAVIER. Not lighter. Not the same weight. Ten full, flabby pounds heavier.

KNow what that means? I've found a diet plan that I have actually been able to stick with for a FULL YEAR!!!!!!!!! In late november, I'd made a decision to intentionally go into a maintenance mode, to adjust for holiday eating, and while I didn't lose any weight.... I DIDN'T GAIN EITHER!!!!!!!!!!

Now this is important, because I'm an ultra slow loser, and had years and years and years of watching a year's worth of dieting go down the tubes in 2 months. Heck, let's be honest... in two weeks.

And this year none of that happened... and then you have to take into account my job required me to eat fried foods, sweets, and other baked goodies, and also to travel to places where there was only very high cal, high carb food EVERYWHERE... and I had to eat it. And yet, and yet.....

Here I am 10 pounds lighter.

MAN. It felt so good to realize that I'd learned to deal with food issues and to honestly maintain my weight if I so chose.

It was enormous.

The other epiphany came when I said to myself, "It sucks that DH gets to have general Tso's chicken and rice, and it's a downday for me (a dd that I can't push to an ud because my son is cooking for me for the first time tomorrow)..." and then suddenly, I ran to my calorie software, did the math, and realized that if I drank tea all day that at dinner I COULD have the chicken and rice. I would have to simply limit myself to a half portion of the chicken and a cup and a half of rice.....

WAIT - WHA>>>>>!!!!?!?!? I went whoah! I really CAN eat anything AND stick on plan. Not a gelat version. THE REAL DEEP FRIED WITH STICKY SAUCE AND WHITE RICE DEAL.

Before when I was strictly LC, a meal like that was off the table forever. I already have so many 'forevers' with my food allergies that it always felt uber restrictive and was never sustainable. Giving up the food I love was torture.

Realizing I hoenstly could have the food I love any day I want it was another epiphany.

And the best part? I got to the last 1/2 c of the rice and really couldn't imagine finishing it because I was so full.

Kisha - it was really an AHA moment for me - I'd been restricting myself to low cal foods on dd, so that I could eat more volume. To realize that I could save the calories all day, instead, for that special meal as long as I was willing to practice portion control, and not ruin the DD was so so fun.

DOn't know why I hadn't figured it out before - I mean I was all in for water fasts and all kinds of quirkyness.... but to simply shift portions to accommodate, and to be able to do it without chewing my arm off, was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
DD today and it's becoming hard...not because I'm especially hungry....just feeling stressed. It's snowing hard and of course we're all stuck inside. I did get out this morning before it started and got in a really good workout. 5 miles on the elliptical and 20 minutes of upper body work on the machines. Felt great! I've just felt stressed, and it seems to be mostly from my house being a wreck. Think I"ll get up and do something about that! at least that IS something I can do something about and it keeps me busy and my mind off of food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
My dd ended up a MD, but I think working out the way I did this morning (5 miles on the elliptical and 20 minutes upper body, did not lend itself to a successful dd. I just couldn't do it. By the time dinner was ready tonight (vegetable beef soup and cornbread) I was irritable and just simply couldn't NOT eat it. I ate but that was the first thing I had had today. definitely ate more than my allotted dd calories but not an UD. We're getting blasted with snow and I am SO not happy about it. It's pretty though.

Hrm... quick question - are you positive - absolute and really positive - that you're calculating enough calories into your week? What have you set your level at on the calculator?

Another thought - why not do one of the tricks I do on these types of occasions - I drink a Metamucil "smoothie" made with ice about an hour before the meal, and then sip a few cups of boiuillion for the full half hour befor ethe meal. It usually helps me get full during the meal easily.

I find that exercise on dds makes for a tough dd unless I up my sodium levels. Pickles (like mild giardiannera) will get me through a tough workout dd, as do shiritaki noodles with seasoning and plenty of green salads with balsamic vinegar.

Anymore, I stick my exercise on UDs and my stretching and other 'soothing' activities (like painting my nails, and doing facials etc) on dds.

And drink lots and lots of tea.

Quote:
Weekly Weigh In

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the cruise!!! Remember on UDs you don't need to worry, so tell yourself "I can have it tomorrow" and avoid temptation by trying to hold off eating until the 'best' meal - then carefully portion the food at that meal. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EAT THE WHOLE THING!! Eat 1/4 of the portion they give you, and order dessert. Take a bite of dessert, and push the plate away, then drink some coffee or tea and chat. Tell yourself, I can have this tomorrow. At the buffets if you choose to go that way, fill up on lettuce and other low cal veggies. Spy out what looks really good, and remind yourself it will still be there the next day.

More tips: I'd advise going to 50% maintenance mode instead of weight loss mode, and I'd try to up your exercise in the on board gym to do exercise on all the DDs (do this first thing in the morning on DDs when everyone else is banging on the high calorie pancakes and whipped cream with strawberries). This will allow you to up your dd and ud calories safely - use the calculator to figure this out!!! - if you're currently doing 2 miles, do 3.

Don't forget to drink a lot of water - on cruises, with the sun beating down, most people eat too much in part because they think every day is 'the last day' and because instead of hydratign themselves, they drink sugary or alcoholic drinks. The body interprets thirst as hunger, and there's a double whammy.

Schedule your first day and last day as UDs - this way you can enjoy the excitement of the first day and give yourself a good sendoff of the last day.

DO NOT EAT any high calorie stuff you could normally get at home on dds.
Remember that any cooked food is probably twice as caloric as homecooked - there's more butter and sugar that you'd want to imagine! hidden in all kinds of crazy places. Trust me - I come from 3 generations of Master Bakers and Executive Chefs at the highest levels...Make the most of both UDs and DDs by eating all the expensive, yummy, gourmet food you'd never, ever get at home. Why waste calories on dds with food that you're used to?

And once again, let me repeat - portion control, portion control, portion control. You can have anything! Just remember that you don't have to have ALL of it.

A celebrity trick I've heard from many sources is the one bite rule. These women live exotic lives, and travel all the time, and to stay so unhealthily thin, they normally allow themselves one bite of whatever it is they're craving. IF YOU ARE DYING to have somethign on a dd, and you find yourself cracking.... make a pact with your tongue to take ONE SINGLE BITE. Slice it off the food and separate it from the other portion. Send the other portion away immediately. Savor that bite. Break it into minibites. Then walk away.

You can do this!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammapo View Post
Funny you should mention these points:

Yesterday I had a bit of an epiphany on both ends...
MAN. It felt so good to realize that I'd learned to deal with food issues and to honestly maintain my weight if I so chose.

It was enormous.

Realizing I hoenstly could have the food I love any day I want it was another epiphany.
This is awesome! I am so glad you are back! Missed you Naomi!

How goes the running? I'm now in the middle of my 10 km clinic with the Running Room and I love it. I'm up to 20 km per week. I even ran in minus 20 the other night and by the end of my run I was peeling the layers off I was actually hot!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post

This is awesome! I am so glad you are back! Missed you Naomi!

How goes the running? I'm now in the middle of my 10 km clinic with the Running Room and I love it. I'm up to 20 km per week. I even ran in minus 20 the other night and by the end of my run I was peeling the layers off I was actually hot!
Meh - the weather hit sub-zero here and I quit. So finally last week I joined a gym so I could at least get on the treadmill. Now I've got to get back up to 5k... :-\ Ah well :-)
mammapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #680
Senior LCF member

Naomi-

Thanks for all the advice about the cruise, but I have some other issues to deal with. First, I don't get as much exercise as many people do when they're traveling because I have mobility problems. I walk with difficulty (with a cane) and cannot walk far. I use a wheelchair in airports and a scooter on the cruise ship. At home, my exercise is lap swimming and water exercises, but I find that onboard, although I swim, I rarely can get the same intensive workout that I do at home. This is a new ship for me, and I'm hoping that it will be better in terms of exercise.

I now eat no grains, dairy, or sweeteners of any kind, and I intend to keep it that way, so I doubt that I'll be tempted by much in the way of food on the ship. In fact, I'm bringing some Ostrim sticks, walnuts, and almonds with me for times when I don't want to even bother going for a meal. [Probably the only person who brings food to a cruise.] I plan to do JUDDD maintenance rather than try to lose.

My major difficulty is that I seem to have some food sensitivities so that restaurant eating is always problematic for me--even salads, because often they've been doused with MSG, which is a real problem for me. So I plan to stick to simple, whole foods on this cruise as much as possible and focus my attention on relaxing, pampering myself, and enjoying a place (Hawaii) that I've never before visited.

I hope to return in two weeks no heavier than when I left.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #681
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Naomi - OMG, you are so right. I also save up calories so that I can eat what I want at supper with the family without going off track.

I have a cheat meal every week where I eat absolutely whatever I want without any mind for calories and last week that role fell to KFC. We bought a huge bucket of it so it and between me and my hubby, we managed 3 pieces each. The following day was my down day and I saved up calories so that I could have KFC leftovers again for supper only this time I had just 1 piece of chicken! It was so satisfying and felt more than a little naughty!
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #682
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Just popping in to report a one and a half pound loss eating 1400 calories daily during the past four days. I'm proceeding with caution, because this could very well be the lingering benefits of JUDDD. I had been expecting a woosh when I switched plans. Total loss is 16 pounds since Nov. I'm eating a wide variety of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grain bread, meats. I eat a potatoe w/real butter almost every day. I only slipped up once with a Klondike bar - but managed to fit it into the calories for the day. I was so disappointed I wasted 250 calories like that. I could have had a nice omlette. If this continues to work, I'll be a very happy camper, indeed!

Leo How wonderful you treat yourself to these cruises. How I envy your being retired! I hope you have a wonderful time. Someday DH and I would love to go to Alaska on a cruise. We haven't had the money because DS was in college. Maybe in another year.

Congratulations to those of you who have had weight losses. I am so enjoying MammaPoo's posts with her practical wisdom!

EMandM Still remembering you and your family. Glad to see you back posting.

I'll come back in a couple of weeks to let you know how my woe experiment is going.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-31-2010 at 06:06 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Good morning everyone!

Congrats to all the losers for the week! I am down 1 lb for this week and am quite happy as it is just before TOM and I know I'm retaining. I just feel fluffy!

Mammapo - Your posts are great and I very much agree with the saving of DD calories for a good meal. I actually did that yesterday though not purposely. I just drank liquids most of the day and was able to have a great dinner!

Kisha - That recipe thread is AWESOME! Thanks for starting that and to all who contribute. It's going to make DDs more interesting for me.

Leo - I know you will do well on your cruise...and Hawaii! I went to Kauai in 2001 and it was absolutely beautiful.

Redeemed - Nice work on the calorie counting. Like you with a daughter in college and a son who will be heading out in a year and a half, I feel like my husband and I won't be able to travel for a LOOOOONG time! But I have plans!

I went to a Zumba class last week and fell in love!! Could not believe the class flew by so quickly. I'm planning on going Mondays and Wednesdays or Thursdays. So because yesterday was a DD, gonna do a MD today so my exercise days will be UDs. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks, if I exercise on a DD, my body retains for a couple of days.

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #684
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
Good news about the loss, and while I agree that it's too early to tell, if I could lose on 1400 cal a day (or even 1200), I'd do that instead of JUDDD. Since you seem to be able to eat carbs, you may not have the insulin resistance problems that plague many of us, and that's a good thing! I hope losing continues for you.

And you're right to envy me--I love retirement! I was actually dreading it because I truly loved my job, but it was intense, and I could not longer manage it physically, so I retired, but somewhat reluctantly. Now I can't imagine ever working full time. I do a little volunteer work, and that seems to be the most I can handle. I truly love getting up in the morning and having nothing 'scheduled' for the day.

Laura-
If you can lose one pound (on the scale) at a time like this, it's probably actually three pounds at least

I only exercise on UDs myself. A couple of times, I did my workout on DDs, and although I didn't notice anything negative, I like to have a good shot of protein after I work out, and that uses up too many calories on a DD.

I've never been to Hawaii, so I'm looking forward to this trip. I chose a cruise because 1) I love cruising; 2) I hate long plane rides. The flight from NY to LA will be long enough for me.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Well--I am back from my UD weekend--went to a fabulous wedding weekend--stayed at the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco--the bride and groom are SF notables, and so had the entire 2nd floor of the Ferry Building--and the mayor, Gavin Newsom officiated--it was a small wedding--150 people, but everything about it was exquisite--I enjoyed the heck out of the food and drink--and now am ready to reimbrace my DD's!!!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Tip from another site, I mark with a big X on my calendar the days I really overeat more than I planned, and foods I did not plan.
Interesting-only 2 in January, each 3 weeks apart, including Christmas, and each after a weeks stall (discouragement). That personally tells me a lot about my head games I play, and also maybe something to be aware of.
Anyway, after a good dd I am back to where I was, and still lost 6 lbs in Jan, so on to February, I think I am going to reread all of January posts, there was so much good info in here.
What is the recipe site Kisha?
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #687
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
That wedding sounds truly wonderful, and I'm glad you allowed yourself to enjoy it fully. There's always a DD. . . .

Nitenurse-
I know that feeling of wanting to eat when the scale fails to move--it's very demoralizing. I have to really fight that urge, reminding myself that my experience is that I have lost weight but it's not showing yet on the scale, so I don't want to negate that loss by overeating now.

But 6 lbs in January is terrific!

Kisha's recipe thread is right here. If you go back to the list of plans, you'll see it below us. It's labeled JUDDD recipes [or something similar], so you should be able to identify it easily
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #688
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
EMandM Still remembering you and your family. Glad to see you back posting.

Thank you, that means a lot and I really appreciate it. It is such a huge thing in my life and I don't expect a lot from virtual strangers on a message board, but you have all been so kind and supportive! Thanks! Sounds like your new woe is working. Keep us posted!

Nitenurse - love the calendar idea. It's funny because I am a teacher, and for every time a student doesn't complete their homework I put an X on the day and send the calendar home at the end of each month. The visual is a great tool for both parents and students!

Ouis - the wedding sounds great! I've never been to San Fran but it's on my list!

Hi to e/e!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #689
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Naomi-

Thanks for all the advice about the cruise, but I have some other issues to deal with. First, I don't get as much exercise as many people do when they're traveling because I have mobility problems. I walk with difficulty (with a cane) and cannot walk far. I use a wheelchair in airports and a scooter on the cruise ship. At home, my exercise is lap swimming and water exercises, but I find that onboard, although I swim, I rarely can get the same intensive workout that I do at home. This is a new ship for me, and I'm hoping that it will be better in terms of exercise.

I now eat no grains, dairy, or sweeteners of any kind, and I intend to keep it that way, so I doubt that I'll be tempted by much in the way of food on the ship. In fact, I'm bringing some Ostrim sticks, walnuts, and almonds with me for times when I don't want to even bother going for a meal. [Probably the only person who brings food to a cruise.] I plan to do JUDDD maintenance rather than try to lose.

My major difficulty is that I seem to have some food sensitivities so that restaurant eating is always problematic for me--even salads, because often they've been doused with MSG, which is a real problem for me. So I plan to stick to simple, whole foods on this cruise as much as possible and focus my attention on relaxing, pampering myself, and enjoying a place (Hawaii) that I've never before visited.

I hope to return in two weeks no heavier than when I left.
(((HUGS)))
Well, you've got a sould sister here - I'm highly sensitive to gluten, dairy, MSG, and artificial sweeteners. Going anywhere is an 'adventure' to say the least, especially on holidays.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

If worse comes to worse, do what I do, and eat the garnishes on the buffet table - no joke! I cannot tell you the times I've deconstructed a pretty display because it was the only unsprayed source of greenery or fruit. LOL

Love you!
mammapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #690
Senior LCF member

Thanks, Naomi! The bright side is that all my 'sensitivities' make eating very simple when I'm home--and eliminate a lot of junk when I'm out.

By the way, I was just reading an article in Sunday's NY Times about restaurants and salt--because the NYC Mayor is trying to get them to cut down on sodium in their prepared foods.

The reporter had common dishes analyzed from about 6 popular restaurants--not fast food, and many of the dishes would not seem to be loaded with salt at all--i.e., none of the foods involved was especially salty or needed salt (as it would be with french fries). Most of them had about 2500 mg--more than the average person should consume in a day (and 'older people' like me are advised to have no more than 1500 mg).

So those of you who eat out and then see a weight gain--it's probably water retention from all that salt.

What scares me is the other 'additives' they use to make their food 'tasty' because I'm sensitive to so many of them. That's why I really prefer to eat home these days.