Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #541
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulgrlsara View Post
Thanks everyone for your quick and thoughtful responses.

Im not sure what Im going to do yet, but Im thinking still I'll Judd through February, if its still Slooooooooooooooooooow I may move on.

I thought I had realistic parameters too:

January- 223-213
February 213-203
March - 203- 195
April- 195- 190
May- 190-185

I thought that was totally realistic for once in my life. Im hoping like you suggest, for a whooshy. I'll keep you posted!
I'm afraid that ten pounds a month... well I'm afraid thats not really realistic for alot of dieters! Only the lucky few. I think the five pounds per month that you have for April and May are much more likely.

Give JUDD the rest of January I'm POSITIVE you'll hit your ten pounds for the month plus more I'm sure.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #542
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sara-

Has your experience been that you typically lose 10 lbs a month? As Kisha said, that seems optimistic based on the experiences of many people on these boards.

Personally, I never set weight/time goals for myself because my body always frustrates me. I just take it a day at a time and hope for the best.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Hi everyone,

So, I've been a week sans sugar. Yay me! I have not given up Splenda yet, but my intention was to start with sugar. I am tackling Splenda this week. I have to have something sweet in my coffee (for now, once my tastebuds change maybe cream will be enough) so I will use Stevia for this week. I have to say I feel amazing and haven't had cravings. I am taking all the supplements as outlined in The Diet Cure as per my symptoms. I was worried about today because it's treat day in the staffroom. Luckily there were no sweet things so I didn't have to face temptation. My sister and her boyfriend are coming over tomorrow and we would normally have something like take-out pizza and dessert but instead we are having organic chicken breast, veggies (including my brussel sprouts with garlic which are crunchy and delish) and a fruit salad. I think my sister fell off her chair when she read my request that she bring fruit for dessert (as it's usually cake or something)! lol Let's hope this keeps up. I think what is helping is I haven't had any emotional or physical cravings, so there hasn't been a hard part yet. The hard part is when I want something and start that battle, as Bill described as so exhausting (and a relief, really, once you give in). So let's hope I don't have to face those any time soon and when I do (yes, when, not if I am sure) I will be able to stare them down!

Sara - you got a lot of great advice. If you like JUDDD stick to it and maybe your results will be a bit slower than your expectations. I think the key is finding something you can tolerate long term and then be patient for the weight loss. I know it is frustrating though so hang in there.

Hi to e/e and happy weekend!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 2008
Was having computer problems

Hi all and welcome to all the Newbies!

Thank you for the good birthday wishes; it was a wonderful birthday weekend (3 UD's in a row) but so far, it's been a good week with 2 DD's. Today is DD #3 for this week. I've also had "controlled" UD's this week so I'm looking to get rid of that pesky 1 pound from my pre-Christmas weight.....I had my computer in the shop because on Monday, I was working in iPhoto and managed to lose a year's worth of pictures of all my family! So, it was in the shop all this week and the tech imported 83 shots, some from 2008 and 2009, from the Trash. This is a heartbreaker for me; I had 353 photos just from last year that I had arranged into an album and was going to have printed....now it's all gone. Well, all I can do is get an external hard drive and install it so I get periodic system backups and start all over again....man this is frustrating. I told all the kids that there will be no 2009 photo album. One of my sons, trying to cheer me up, sent me some goofy photos off the internet - what a trip!

Thoughts: Seoulgirl, I stalled on JUDDD too and tweaked it to make sure I drink plenty of water on both UD's and DD's. Water is the great stall breaker. I also have to count calories on both UD's and DD's. For me, it's what works, otherwise I don't lose weight. And I find if I keep my calories on DD's less than 400, it works better. Congratulations EmandM! You have amazing willpower!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #545
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

So disappointed this morning to be the same as last week--no loss (in fact, I hopped back on the scale--something I never do--hoping for a lower number, and it went up a pound--so I'll settle for the lower number

Now I should be satisfied because so far this month, I've exceeded my monthly losses (always 4 lbs--and already I have 5.5), and I'm the one who always has one week in the month with no loss, and this should be it. So this is not unusual for me.

I think I'm disappointed because yesterday's DD was one of those tough ones, so although I managed to stay <400 cal for the day, I felt I deserved a loss for the effort:blush:

I feel like a hypocrite after tell Sara that I just "hope for the best," except that the "best" for me is always some loss!

EmandM--I don't want to be a killjoy, but keep in mind that fruit is pure sugar for your body, so you may undo your abstinence if your body reacts to fruit as mine does.

Also, one of the things I learned about cravings (and I so agree with Bill about the 'relief' of giving in) is that they are 90% psychological because they intensify as long as I dwell on them. If I can distract myself, they go away. Of course, it's not that easy to distract myself because they usually arise because I want them for some subconscious reason, and I don't even try to distract myself.

My theory is that by dwelling on them until the urge to eat is overpowering and I give in, I can attribute my downfall to "cravings" rather than myself--i.e. something over which I have no control which makes me 'innocent.'

GrammyPat-I so sympathize with you in your computer woes. My computer crashed a couple of years ago, and while I didn't have photos, I lost a lot of stuff in the process.

Stay with those DDs--that pound (and more) will soon vanish.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #546
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: linkerbink
Good morning, everyone. I've been lurking here for a little while and have been on this plan for about 2 weeks. I am female, 62 years old, 5'7" tall and currently 154 with an ultimate goal of 140. I'd like to lose about 10 pounds by my cruise in 12 weeks, so I think this is doable. However, I have a few questions...

For those of you have been on the plan for a while and have had success (which looks like quite a few of you!!), how do you manage your UP days? I mean, do you try to stay within a calorie range, or just eat what you want without watching calories, or try to manage carbs? I was on South Beach for a few weeks before I started JUDDD so I've been trying to do SB on my up days. Does this sound reasonable, or am I better off just eating what I want without deliberately overeating as it says on the website? Ironically, I have NO problems with down days, but its the up days where I'm floundering...HELP!!!
linkerbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #547
Senior LCF member

Linkerbink!

I'm 68 and also hypothyroid, and I'm on JUDDD simply because I have to seriously restrict calories in order to lose at all. So, yes, I count on UDs. Some folks here have had trouble with unrestricted UDs, so my suggestion is that you experiment to find the level you can eat on UDs and still lose.

I think the UD information that is on the official website and in the book is a little misleading because elsewhere in the book Dr. J explains that the UD number is a 'limit' rather than a recommendation and the only significant number is for DDs. Personally, if I ate to the UD number that I get from the calculator, I'd gain rather than lose!

I do low carb all the time because I'm very carb sensitive, and I'm trying to avoid type 2 diabetes which seems to run in my family.

Good luck with JUDDD, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #548
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the response, Leo41! Is there a lower calorie limit I should try to avoid in order to not go into "starvation mode"? I was trying to stay at about 1200 on UDs because that seems to be a number many "traditional" plans seem to recommend for a safe weight loss. I don't want to deprive my system of so many calories that I shut down my metabolism yet I don't want to overdo the calories. How does 1200 sound to you?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
The reason I give myself the 5# bounce in my parameters every month, is I know I can retain 5# of water without any good reason at all, but anything above that for me is fat gain. That helps me with my mind games, but a pound a week is pretty realistic for me. And the lower number is slowly crawling down.
The first month back on any low carb or JUDD I can take off 10#, then a pound a week after that, with a stall here and there, but it averages out.
The first time Atkins came around 1972, I lost 60# in 6 months, the difference being I was much younger and really active.
The way my mind is "trying to get me drunk" this month, is that I am doing a bunch of paper shuffling, throwing things away, which I totally hate-and my mind tells me I should reward myself with food every few hours "eat, you'll feel better", it's amazing how powerful those old messages are, unless you tell them it's a lie. I think I'll turn up the music and dance for 5 minutes and see if I can change the message.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #550
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
had a sort of unrestrained UD yesterday--which may have been a result of my efforts in getting thru my DD at a dinner party (need to reward myself), but is also part of a pattern where on Fridays I have a lot less control of my eating. This has been true as long as I have been working at this. Friday is a day off from work, it is a an errand day, it is a bit more unstructured than the rest of the weekend, and for whatever reason I find myself often a bit bingey on fridays. Mostly LC bingey--but still, a constant need to eat.

Today will be a MD--I have a big workout this morning, and my DH wants to do something active this afternoon and then we have a dinner out, so I will eat FF/LC today and have something moderate this evening. Tomorrow is a DD but I also have to go out to dinner, where I will get a naked salad and some lean protein.

What I notice about this dilemma is more psychological than anything else. I haven't realllllly wanted to do anything about my naughty fridays. In some ways I am still resistant. It seems like this is some perverse way of nurturing myself even tho it really doesn't feel that good. If I could feel a little more control that would be better.

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #551
Major LCF Poster!

Step 1 (for me)-At first on JUDDD I really ate lot on my updays, celebrating the fact that I didn't have to restrict myself. It still worked.
Step 2 But within a few months I realized I should go more lowcarb, to feel better.
Step 3- Now I am trying to make my updays what maintainence will be if I ever get down to where I want to be-which might be 12-18 months from now, if all goes well. I am realizing there are things I will probably have to minimize and learn to handle- restaurant fare, etc, but by the time this year goes by, I think I'll be more comfortable with maintaining. I am sure I will always have to do JUDDD and lowcarb. Plan, Plan, Plan ahead.

Last edited by nitenurse; 01-23-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #552
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Tami - my scale actually does have a fat measuring capability. I think I will try to set it up so that when my weight isn't moving downward, perhaps the percentage of fat will be. Thanks for the thought!

Leo - I think on the exercise front what I am going to do is increase my moderate exercise time and only exercise every other day. That way I will get in my recommended minutes but also have a day of rest in between.

DD for me today and heading into the office with veggie soup and bran crisps. The scale seems to be starting to move down - YAY! But I didn't do well on the water front yesterday and may be a little dry.

Question - how much water does everyone drink daily?

Have a great day!!

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Weekly Weigh In

EmandM--I don't want to be a killjoy, but keep in mind that fruit is pure sugar for your body, so you may undo your abstinence if your body reacts to fruit as mine does.

Also, one of the things I learned about cravings (and I so agree with Bill about the 'relief' of giving in) is that they are 90% psychological because they intensify as long as I dwell on them. If I can distract myself, they go away. Of course, it's not that easy to distract myself because they usually arise because I want them for some subconscious reason, and I don't even try to distract myself.

My theory is that by dwelling on them until the urge to eat is overpowering and I give in, I can attribute my downfall to "cravings" rather than myself--i.e. something over which I have no control which makes me 'innocent.'
Nope, not a killjoy at all. I always appreciate your insights and advice. I am not giving up all carbs. Remember, I was close to vegan up until I saw my nutritionist a month ago and was able to save my treats until Fridays and weekends. But then I found I was eating too much of them. Fruit doesn't sent me into a tailspin, at least it hasn't yet. I always eat it with a protein though. I am doing this in baby steps so first I've eliminated obvious sugars and then sweeteners. I had sweeteners and fruit this week and have not had physical or mental cravings, which is in itself a bit of a shock for me! lol

Sorry you are disappointed but you always have a great attitude. Slow and steady my friend, slow and steady!

Gotta go for my morning run as it's beautiful. I will read and respond to the other posts when I come back!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #554
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkerbink View Post
Thanks for the response, Leo41! Is there a lower calorie limit I should try to avoid in order to not go into "starvation mode"? I was trying to stay at about 1200 on UDs because that seems to be a number many "traditional" plans seem to recommend for a safe weight loss. I don't want to deprive my system of so many calories that I shut down my metabolism yet I don't want to overdo the calories. How does 1200 sound to you?
Personally I think thats too low. 1200 is give as a DAILY bottom limit by alot of nutritionists. What is your DD limit? If you eat 1800 calories on UD and 400 cals on DD this gives you an average of 1100 cals per day which should be enough to lose weight on! I'd start out with a higher limit on UD. If you don't lose that way you can reassess but I bet you have success eating like that. Even if you do 1700 cals on UD that averages out to only 1100 per day. very low and you will lose!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #555
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Personally I think thats too low. 1200 is give as a DAILY bottom limit by alot of nutritionists. What is your DD limit? If you eat 1800 calories on UD and 400 cals on DD this gives you an average of 1100 cals per day which should be enough to lose weight on! I'd start out with a higher limit on UD. If you don't lose that way you can reassess but I bet you have success eating like that. Even if you do 1700 cals on UD that averages out to only 1100 per day. very low and you will lose!
Thanks so much! It's nice to know I don't have to go QUITE so low on UDs. My DD limit is just under 400, which I've been able to achieve with no problems. As I said, my problem is the up days as I don't want to over do things. I'm working on tomorrow's eating plan, so I'll add a few extras to get me closer to 1800.

Susan
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
873641qsfmzadxhx.gif Good morning everyone!

Linkbink 651171i085p8my3i.gif Some people do lower calories on their DD's, even fasting. You shouldn't have two DD's in a r,ow. You can have a DD, Medium Day (MD). Just don't do two DD's in a row. If your calories are significantly lower than the guidelines for an UD then you should consider it a MD. Hope you enjoy JUDDD!

Yesterday's UD was right around 2000. I work 12 hours today, and when I get home I'm going to try an experiment with egg custard using almond milk, eggs, and sweetner.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #557
Senior LCF member

Susan-

Kisha beat me to it because I was about to warn you about those 1200 cal UDs. As she points out, you have to think of the average of your UD/DD calories in order to estimate the daily total. And the beauty of JUDDD is that the one day of very low calories (DD) doesn't affect your metabolism because it takes the body longer to respond to that level, and by that time, you're eating again.

I came to JUDDD because my metabolism is so compromised that I need to eat <1000 cal a day to lose, and that was too frustrating to do on a daily basis (leading to periodic overeating). For the past year, I've been basically doing 400/1400, and I lose about a pound a week. I don't do true alternation. My DDs are M,W, Fri. (for convenience). On Sunday, I try for a 'medium' day of about 900-1000 cal, but that often winds up an UD (sigh!).

Start with an 1800 cal UD, and if you're not losing, you can always lower it, but I think you'd do fine with that.

EmandM- You're not as metabolically resistant as some of us (like me), so my advice often doesn't apply to you. When I first tried Atkins many moons ago (when I was young and healthy), I discovered that I stopped losing if my carbs went over 30g a day! I also avoid fruit because my blood glucose is higher than I'd like, and if at all possible I want to avoid diabetes.

Laura-

I rarely drink water! However, after a gallon (approx!) of black coffee in the morning, I drink hot tea throughout the day, so I do drink a lot of fluids. In the summer, it's often iced tea.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #558
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
[QUOTE=Redeemed;13034105]Thanks for the encouragement Tami and Leo. I do feel it's water for some odd reason. Can't blame PMS anymore. Tami where do you buy those body fat monitors?

Redeemed - I picked mine up from a catalogue type shop here in the uk but im assuming you are in the usa? I know they are tons of them listed on ebay.com but any electrical shop that carrys scales should have them as well. Ebay is always the cheapest though!

Laura - Remember to check weight in the morning but body fat in the evening. You would be quite dehyrated in the morning so the fat reading would be quite high as compared to the evening when your water balance is regained!

I have to say I am quite in awe of you lot who manage such low dd's (250-400), I did this on my first week of juddd but my dds are now usually 950-1100 calories! I am doing 35-40% restriction mode with moderate excercise as I work out 6 times per week. Oddly enough I am losing better now on the higher cals than I did on the lower ones (remember christmas week where I gained a bit in spite on 500 cal dd's).

Today I recalculated my bmr using the katch mcardle formula and it seems that my maintenance cals are now 2427 up from about 1800 when I wasn't excercising and my body fat was higher! What a difference a bit of excercise can make! lol

Saying that though, I keep my ud calories to 1900 to 2000. I really don't feel I need more food than this. A couple of up days ago I was at 1650 or so after my evening meal and I was just so stuffed I couldn't eat anything else. I just added the extra 250 cals to my dd to even it out and to avoid starvation mode. Anyone else doing 35 or 40% restriction for the dds???
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #559
Junior LCF Member

Kisha and Leo41, I didn't know I was to average the calories between UDs and DDs...I certainly didn't get that from what I've read so far. Thanks....that makes it very easy to plan things out. It makes sense, too!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Susan - Hi and Leo and Kisha are right. I went way too low when I started JUDDD and it affected my metabolism. I made a mistake, and when I should have put in maintenance (at 50% on the JUDDD calculator) I had my numbers at 20% weight loss (I did not want to lose any more weight). So since I was already at a healthy weight, to lose, my daily calories were something like 900. I then started to gain when increasing, but that was only because my calories were too low. I then began a metabolism repair plan which was to slowly increase my DD cals and now I eat at 50% on DD's and my weight steadied and went back to what it has been for a few years. So be careful with going too low (and be happy you don't have to! lol)

Leo - because of your great info, I am not more aware of things, and as I start to get older, or should I have any health issues crop up I will be able to modify my eating from what I have learned from your posts.

Tami - yes. I eat about 800-1,000 on DD's and I eat to satisfaction on UD's (I don't count). I'm in maintenance though. I could probably increase my DD cals and still maintain, but DD's now feel like feasts compared to before! lol
Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #561
Senior LCF member

Nitenurse-

I do exactly the same thing!--i.e., I take 'breaks' to reward myself when I'm dealing with chores I find unpleasant. However, I have been able to eliminate food from those rewards. Try a cup of hot tea, but keep telling yourself that it's a reward. If you think, "I wish I had a brownie with that tea," it won't work. You have to actually envision the tea as something very satisfying. I also come to the boards sometimes as a 'reward' (along with my tea).

Susan-
There's no reason you should know about 'averaging' calories because it's not mentioned anywhere in JUDDD. The idea is to 'eat to satisfaction' on UDs, and that might work for you. The reason many of us count is that we discovered that we don't have a good 'satisfaction' indicator in our physical make up, and it's too easy to go way over on calories if we don't count.

Since you mentioned 1200 cal, and we knew you were counting, we wanted to warn you that was probably too low--unless you have a very, very seriously compromised metabolism.

Ouis-
When I was working, Saturday was my errand day, and, yes, my food 'reward' day. I always ate freely on Saturdays. Now that I'm retired, I find that Saturday is still my most 'unstructured' UD and probably when I have the most calories. It just goes to show how strong the association is between a 'free day' and 'free eating,' even though it's been more than 2 years that I've been retired.

I don't plan to try to rein it in, except that I do keep a count of my calories. I think that being so structured the rest of the week, I should have one 'free' day where I eat different things at different times--although I try to stay within my calorie limit. Originally, my plan was to make Sunday my "free" day, but I've never been able to wean myself from Saturdays. My challenge is to keep Saturday from leaking into Sunday
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #562
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
What I notice about this dilemma is more psychological than anything else. I haven't realllllly wanted to do anything about my naughty fridays. In some ways I am still resistant. It seems like this is some perverse way of nurturing myself even tho it really doesn't feel that good. If I could feel a little more control that would be better.

Ouis
I have the same issue, right down to the day! Fridays have always been my cheat or treat day (I like "naughty Fridays" too)! It is the one day a week that there are treats in the staffroom (treat Fridays) and each teacher partners with someone else and brings in snacks. It's all junk food with the odd tray of fruit and veg. It was ok since that was my cheat day. But I have the hardest time disassociating Fridays from treats! It is purely psychological. I have told myself to avoid the staffroom, but it is social as well and I enjoy seeing my colleagues. It is such a bad habit but it's so ingrained for me!

Leo - you posted something earlier and I meant to respond but forgot. You wrote that it's easy to blame a binge on cravings rather than it being our responsibility. This is a huge eye-opener for me. I give myself any excuse to cave and eat something like a donut (which leads to more caving in) whether it be "I'll start seriously on Monday" or "I'm tired and I deserve a treat" or "it's Friday" (see above). But now I will give myself more responsibility and accountability that I have the power to say no, seeing as it is mostly psychological.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #563
Major LCF Poster!

When we catch ourselves in some behavior that leads to eating in unhealthy ways, study it awhile, we can come up with ways of dealing with it. Little steps. It's really kind of funny, the games my mind plays. It doesn't take much to amuse me.
Besides dealing with work I hate doing, I have a tough time when I am playing music in my band. There's always a lot of junk food around, so I try to have an upday, so I can eat a good meal before I go. I think I might start packing some mixed nuts in a little bag, I used to keep a can of nuts in my car for times when I had gone too long without eating, and had a long ways to go....might not be the best diet food, but it's better than sugar and white flour. Believe it or not, that can lasted almost a year, the best part was knowing it was there.
This week, I think I'll try to make some kind of a 100 calorie muffin to take along and share with a couple friends that are really struggling too.
Does anyone know anything about salba, or chia,? I have been reading about it on the internet a little, makes me think it could replace the flax in flaxbread?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:56 AM   #564
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Salba aka chia seed

I used this over a year ago to make homemade protein bars. I loved the "cleansing" effect they had because of their fiber content. Other than that, I don't have much to offer than I read all the same material you have; they are supposed to be very high in antioxidant, but I never noticed a change physically (aside from the fiber benefits!). Good luck Nightnurse!

Well, weigh-in today was disappointing; that pesky pound is still hanging around (hey it rhymes - I think I'll write a song). Probably too much sodium in spite of keeping calories to a dull roar, and not enough water...DH and I did a lot of walking yesterday and the day before....OFF TOPIC: thanks Leo for sharing your similar data loss experience....we got the external hard drive yesterday and I'll install it today or tomorrow. I still find it so hard to believe that all those pictures disappeared without hitting the delete key....

Ouiz, thanks so much for your scientific input; it really helps explain a lot of behavior. For example, I remember reading that as you get full when you eat, food does not taste as good therefore, we should eat only when hungry. I don't always do that; I eat a lot for entertainment (at least when I'm at work sitting at the desk all day!) But I agree: food tastes way better when I'm hungry; it's just if I wait until I'm starving, I eat too much and too fast. I'm still trying to teach myself to SAVOR the food as I eat it. Satiety seems to be the new buzzword these days. I thought Dr. J. mentioned the "alligator brain" in his book that wants to eat all the time and that's why we have continual cravings for food. Did I get that mixed up?
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #565
Major LCF Poster!

066.gif

GrammyPat Cute little rhym. Only two more pounds to go before you're seeing a new loss.

I am still two pounds up. But that's down from 4 lbs up 2 days ago. It took two good DD's and one good UD to lose two pounds. Keeping at or a little under 2000 calories on my UD's is what is going to bring me success. Unlike some others here on this thread, I don't do well with MWF DD's. I need to do strict alternation of UD/DD to achieve success.

I missed church last night because I worked until 8, but will catch a sermon on-line or TV. Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #566
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Happy Sunday all!

Getting ready to head into the office. So behind on paperwork and month's end is quickly approaching. Ugh!

On a happy front, completed my first week back on JUDDD and am happy to report a loss of 2.6 pounds! While it is less than I've lost before on my first JUDDD weeks, I am very happy!

UD today for which I'm grateful. For some reason yesterday's DD was kind of hard but I stuck it out and came in under 500 calories. Whew!

Have a lovely day,

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #567
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
Happy Sunday all!

Getting ready to head into the office. So behind on paperwork and month's end is quickly approaching. Ugh!

On a happy front, completed my first week back on JUDDD and am happy to report a loss of 2.6 pounds! While it is less than I've lost before on my first JUDDD weeks, I am very happy!

UD today for which I'm grateful. For some reason yesterday's DD was kind of hard but I stuck it out and came in under 500 calories. Whew!

Have a lovely day,

Laura
972122dtuadhvrq0.gif
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
Leo - because of your great info, I am not more aware of things, and as I start to get older, or should I have any health issues crop up I will be able to modify my eating from what I have learned from your posts.
Oops - I meant I am A LOT more aware of things! LOL Couldn't go back to edit after I caught this!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #569
Senior LCF member

Nitenurse-
If you eat muffins, you might want to check out Vitamuffins. They make a terrific 100-calorie muffin in a variety of flavors. They used to be available at my supermarket, but no longer, but I've bought them online, too. If you are willing to bake, I notice that Netrition is now selling the Vitamuffin mix. I love muffins, but [sigh!] am no longer eating any grains at all and avoiding processed things. But these are really good!

Laura-
Congratulations on the loss! That should be motivating. I'm amazed that you are used to a bigger loss because that would be a monumental loss for me, so I'm really impressed.

EmandM-
Re cravings--last night I found myself doing just what I've described! I was already in bed, but it was an UD, so I felt 'entitled' to nosh. I kept thinking about what I could make for myself--until I realized what I was doing. I wasn't hungry; this was food for 'entertainment,' and I was creating a psychological hunger from thinking about it.

Fortunately, the realization helped me stop, and I just read myself to sleep. Much better than eating
Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Leo--are the Vitamuffins carby? I guess i thought they were--we do have markets here that carry them--I will have to look--

DD here. I have recognized lately the power of thought where this is all concerned. I am noticing that after a difficult two UD's, I am thinking this DD will be difficult. I am determined to fight that thinking today with more empowering messages! This DD will be easy! If I get too hungry I can have broth with Miracle Noodles which fills me right up! Or I can make my faux oatmeal with MN's and some WF caramel dip, blended and nuked! Going out to dinner tonight for my friend's birthday is going to be a breeze! If I can't find anything to eat, I will have a naked salad and wait til I get home! Can't wait to report back today about how well it all went!!

Good luck to all my JUDDD buddies on whatever kind of day today is!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote