Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeld View Post
About why it gets harder to quit high carbs/sugar every time you do it. I think what I read was that every time you quit for ex. sugar, the receptors in the brain that thrive on the stuff, increase their numbers to soak up whatever they can get, which means even stronger cravings. Aah, this was very unscientific and incoherent, but DS is crying and I have to get off the computer right away. Maybe someone can explain it better/pick up where I got lost?

Happt DD:s/UD: everyone!
I haven't heard this theory... but it totally makes sense. Another intersting correlation... when I got sober (over 2.5 years ago now) my sugar cravings absolutely raged out of control! I just wanted sugar sugar sugar and I BLEW UP in weight for my first six months of sobriety til I started on program september 2007. The transmittors in the brain that receive the alcohol are the exact same ones that receive SUGAR. So when the alcohol is cut off they try to compensate by demanding SUGAR.

(how's that for unscientific? LOL. I'm a pirate not a scientist)
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Kisha, Leo and Nitenurse,

Thanks for that great food ideas! I'm heading out to the grocery store right now. It really helps to hear what others are doing on DDs. I usually have no issues on UDs....

So frustrated with the scale though. How exactly does one gain after a DD? Grrrr!

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #483
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm no scientist either, but I strongly doubt that we 'grow receptors,' making abstinence more difficult each time. There is definitely a physical component when the body is deprived of anything that it's used to, but our inability to remain abstinent is primarily psychological. Why can some people 'diet,' and others 'can't"--or think they can't? There has to be a psychological readiness for any process of change that's self-initiated.

In Kisha's example, I suspect that our body regards alchohol as sugar [chemically], so the cravings came because she was depriving her body of a level of sugar that it was accustomed to.

Several years ago, I had to take a glucose tolerance test, and since I was eating low carb, my endo told me that I had to each at least 150g of carbs daily for 3 days prior to the test to get an accurate result. So I went from someone eating about 20g a day to 150g. I didn't notice a thing, went right back to low carb, and didn't experience any 'cravings' or other negatives from the 3-day eat-a-thon. I suspect it's because the body needs time to react (basis of JUDDD!), and 3 days may be the outside limit. Keep in mind that I was not trying to 'cheat' or 'binge'--just get accurate medical results. So I didn't feel 'guilty' about the things I was eating.

From my experience, I suspect that some of the terrible cravings people report from 1t of sugar or a stray mint may be more psychological than physical.

Last edited by Leo41; 01-20-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #484
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
well--I am a neuroscientist. We do upregulate receptors temporarily--sugar does cause upregulation of both serotonin and dopamine receptor sites--but the notion that these receptor sites STAY upregulated causing more difficult sobriety or abstinence in the future is wrong. If not provided with constant reinforcement, those receptor sites are "pruned"

Perhaps a better way of understanding it is in looking at memory traces. You light up a certain pleasure circuit repeatedly and you strengthen the "hebbian synapses" The memory traces of pleasure become stronger--thus Proust writing about Madelines as an evocative taste paired with a whole set of pleasurable memories. I believe we have lit up certain pleasure circuits, strengthening those memories with our eating. Paired with this is the feeling of comfort, the emotion of contentment, the attachment to mother, etc. However, you can "prune" this constant associative reflex by ignoring the initial stimulus. If you don't eat sugar, and you continue to resist eating sugar, the stimulus to eat sugar becomes fainter and fainter. What may be harder to dismiss is your "memory" of this pleasure. Something must be tolerated that is very very difficult to tolerate initially. One must tolerate not filling the emptiness. Not cuddling our mother-sugar, not tasting and pleasuring our senses. And, unlike an addict, we still must eat, which makes it even harder to extinguish the reflex. So we must "forget" while still being forced to "remember"

Just my take on it.

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
well--I am a neuroscientist. We do upregulate receptors temporarily--sugar does cause upregulation of both serotonin and dopamine receptor sites--but the notion that these receptor sites STAY upregulated causing more difficult sobriety or abstinence in the future is wrong. If not provided with constant reinforcement, those receptor sites are "pruned"

Perhaps a better way of understanding it is in looking at memory traces. You light up a certain pleasure circuit repeatedly and you strengthen the "hebbian synapses" The memory traces of pleasure become stronger--thus Proust writing about Madelines as an evocative taste paired with a whole set of pleasurable memories. I believe we have lit up certain pleasure circuits, strengthening those memories with our eating. Paired with this is the feeling of comfort, the emotion of contentment, the attachment to mother, etc. However, you can "prune" this constant associative reflex by ignoring the initial stimulus. If you don't eat sugar, and you continue to resist eating sugar, the stimulus to eat sugar becomes fainter and fainter. What may be harder to dismiss is your "memory" of this pleasure. Something must be tolerated that is very very difficult to tolerate initially. One must tolerate not filling the emptiness. Not cuddling our mother-sugar, not tasting and pleasuring our senses. And, unlike an addict, we still must eat, which makes it even harder to extinguish the reflex. So we must "forget" while still being forced to "remember"

Just my take on it.

Ouis
THANK YOU!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #486
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Interesting discussion on sugar addiction. My mother smoked and drank coffee when she was pregnant with me. When I was born, she fed me sugar water. Mothers used to put Kyro syrup and water in baby bottles to pacify babies. I have struggled with three addictions in my life. Guess what three? Yep, smoking, sugar and caffine. Small wonder. I have not smoked for over 25 years. The coffee stays; and I try to keep sugar subdued but not totally off limits. Encouraging to know Ouis, that the addictive receptors can shrink! Thanks for clarifying.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #487

DD...

Going okay so far. I've had one package of beef jerky (90 cals) and one containe of 0% FAGE Yogurt (90 cals).

If the rain is still on hiatus after work I'm going to Whole Foods to hunt down some Shirataki noodles for dinner. I've never had them before! I've heard they're gross but guess what I eat plenty of not so delicious things on DD! LOL. I'm just looking for something very filling and very low cal low carb. Will probably eat with some veg and maybe a bit of meat... Not sure, its all an expirement!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kisha--if you can find Pastaslim at WF, it is oh oh so much better than tofu shirataki. I buy the Miracle noodles online, cause they are 0 for everything, but I LOVE the spinach pastaslim. I think it is 40 cals 4 carbs for the package--they are made from the same stuff, but for whatever reason, they are freakin' delicious. I could not stomach the House brand tofu shirataki.

Ouis
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
I haven't heard this theory... but it totally makes sense. Another intersting correlation... when I got sober (over 2.5 years ago now) my sugar cravings absolutely raged out of control! I just wanted sugar sugar sugar and I BLEW UP in weight for my first six months of sobriety til I started on program september 2007. The transmittors in the brain that receive the alcohol are the exact same ones that receive SUGAR. So when the alcohol is cut off they try to compensate by demanding SUGAR.

(how's that for unscientific? LOL. I'm a pirate not a scientist)
Yes, that is true. I am just reading about it in The Diet Cure. The author (Julie something I think, maybe Ross) started off working with alcoholics and said the exact same thing, in that they crave sugar and end up abstaining from alcohol and bingeing on sugar.

Congrats on 2.5 years Kisha!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #490
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:

Just my take on it.

Ouis
Thanks for that very articulate explanation. I read something similar in The End of Overeating. I definately struggle with letting go of the memory of certain foods, especially foods I had as a young kid with my mum. Memories and hard to forget and habits are so hard to break!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #491

Quote:
Kisha--if you can find Pastaslim at WF, it is oh oh so much better than tofu shirataki. I buy the Miracle noodles online, cause they are 0 for everything, but I LOVE the spinach pastaslim. I think it is 40 cals 4 carbs for the package--they are made from the same stuff, but for whatever reason, they are freakin' delicious. I could not stomach the House brand tofu shirataki.

Ouis
O I just read this... I'll look for those next time FO SHO! I've got the shirataki cooking up. I tasted one. I LOVE IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
Yes, that is true. I am just reading about it in The Diet Cure. The author (Julie something I think, maybe Ross) started off working with alcoholics and said the exact same thing, in that they crave sugar and end up abstaining from alcohol and bingeing on sugar.

Congrats on 2.5 years Kisha!
Thank you so much! I'll have 3 years on March 2nd.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #492

OMG!!! SHIRATAKI NOODLES!!!

Wow. I can't believe I haven't tried these before! I bought a package today, brought it home and rinsed it very very very well. While it was rinsing I shredded half a very small head of green cabbage and sauteed that with just PAM spray. When that was wilty I added the noodles and stir fried it all together with some garlic pepper salt. I finely diced a cooked chicken sausage from Trader Joe's (100 cals) and mixed that in well.

OMG! NOM NOM NOM!!!

This is the most cooking I've done in a long time LOL and it was SO GOOD! No, maybe some people don't like these noodles, but I'm someone who hasn't eaten anything even remotely pasta like in YEARS. The whole meal was less than 150 cals and would've been quite good without the sausage even.

This just might revolutionized my Down Days!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Quote:
Wow. I can't believe I haven't tried these before! I bought a package today, brought it home and rinsed it very very very well. While it was rinsing I shredded half a very small head of green cabbage and sauteed that with just PAM spray. When that was wilty I added the noodles and stir fried it all together with some garlic pepper salt. I finely diced a cooked chicken sausage from Trader Joe's (100 cals) and mixed that in well.

OMG! NOM NOM NOM!!!

This is the most cooking I've done in a long time LOL and it was SO GOOD! No, maybe some people don't like these noodles, but I'm someone who hasn't eaten anything even remotely pasta like in YEARS. The whole meal was less than 150 cals and would've been quite good without the sausage even.

This just might revolutionized my Down Days!
okay, so I gotta ask. I LOVE noodles. I tried the dreamfields pasta once and thought I was going to die of stomach issues. How do these noodles fit as far as tummy issues? anything added that might cause that?
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
okay, so I gotta ask. I LOVE noodles. I tried the dreamfields pasta once and thought I was going to die of stomach issues. How do these noodles fit as far as tummy issues? anything added that might cause that?
Well my stomach is really really happy so far! From Wiki:

Quote:
Shirataki (白滝?, often written with the hiragana しらたき) are very low carbohydrate, low calorie, thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from the konjac plant. The word "shirataki" means "white waterfall", describing the appearance of these noodles. Largely composed of water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber, they have little flavor of their own.

Shirataki noodles can be found both in dry and soft "wet" forms in Asian markets and some supermarkets. When wet, they are purchased pre-packaged in liquid. They normally have a shelf life of up to one year. Some brands may require rinsing or par-boiling as the water they are packaged in has an odor that may be unpleasant to those not accustomed to it.

There are two types of shirataki noodles sold in the United States. Traditional shirataki noodles have zero net carbohydrates, zero calories, no gluten, and are useful for those on low-carbohydrate diets.[1] Tofu-based shirataki-style noodles are becoming increasingly popular in U.S. supermarkets and health food stores. They have a much shorter shelf life and require refrigeration even before opening. Tofu-based noodles contain a minimal amount of carbohydrates.[2]
So I don't think they're like dreamfields (which I've never tried). I'll report back tomorrow to confirm that nothing untoward has taken place LOL. Also you should probably start with a small portion to make sure they're ok.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #495
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leisa--the Dreamfields really doesn't work for me either because of the inulin--some of us really react to that. Never had a problem with the shirataki noodles or the miracle noodles--
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #496
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well my stomach is really really happy so far! From Wiki:

So I don't think they're like dreamfields (which I've never tried). I'll report back tomorrow to confirm that nothing untoward has taken place LOL. Also you should probably start with a small portion to make sure they're ok.
Quote:
Leisa--the Dreamfields really doesn't work for me either because of the inulin--some of us really react to that. Never had a problem with the shirataki noodles or the miracle noodles--
Thanks Ilpirata and Ouizoid...I'll have to look for them.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #497

i found them near the tofu at Whole Foods sometimes I hear they are also near the Asian Vegetables in the produce section.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fjeld
Quote:

Just my take on it.

Ouis
Ouis - Thank you! A neuroscientist, that must be very interesting work. Maybe it was in "Potatoes, Not Prozac" I read about the upregulating process? But I always thought the number of receptors increased for good.

I've also heard from people who work with alcoholics that once they're sober, many start a sweet habit instead. Kisha, 2.5 years?! Fantastic!

EmandM - Please, if you don't mind, share some of your findings from reading Julia Ross' books. Im very interested to see if you find her ideas will help. I might even buy the books myself, but I don't want to experiment with supplements while I'm nursing.

I love this cartoon, by the way:

Last edited by fjeld; 01-20-2010 at 09:24 PM..
fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #499
Senior LCF member

Ouis-

Thanks for that great explanation! What I was calling "psychological" is that sense of memory that keeps us attracted to certain foods. I find that the longer I eat this way, the power of those memories diminishes. For example, a couple of years ago, just the thought of pizza was incredibly tantalizing, but now it's hardly a 'blip.' It also makes sense, then, when people report tremendous cravings from what, to me, is just a tiny bite of something. If their memory circuits are still strong, it doesn't take much to stimulate them.

But that's also why I'm against 'faux foods'--those low carb substitutes for things we love--e.g., cheesecake, pizza, etc. It seems to me that the body reads these the same as the real thing, so it keeps that memory "alive" and thus it's so easy for people to go back to their former way of eating.

Laura-

I know it must be awful to see a gain on the scale after a DD! Do you tend to retain water at all? My weight can fluctuate 3-6 lbs on any given day from water. I find that after I exercise (always early in the morning), I tend to retain water for the rest of the day. I also retain water if I have a cold or virus. That's why the scale is, at best, a long-term indicator of weight loss. Although I weigh every week, I find that it's the monthly number that gives me a good sense of weight loss.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #500
Senior LCF Member

Leo - yes I tend to retain water so that MUST be it! Also, my doc has me exercising 5 times a week which necessitates activity on a down day. I'm thinking my body is reacting to the activity and uber decreased calories and holding on to everything! Interesting about how you retain water from working out in the morning - I just got off the treadmill so it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

You are right, though, the scale is not a good indicator of weight loss. We are just embroiled in an intense love-hate relationship!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #501
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Quote:

Just my take on it.

Ouis

--bill
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-235)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
I have found the shiritake noodles, also called cellophane noodles in an oriental grocery store, and at health food stores, as stated, some are mixed with tofu. Read the label carefully, the straight shiritake has no cals, or carbs. It is straight fiber. taste depends on rinsing well, I boil them for a minute or so and rinse again. I order mine off the internet, since I can't get to the stores very often-300 mile round trip. Never noticed any digestion problems-right, go slow.
It really is a filler, glucomannen is supposed to help lower cholesterol too. I have put them in instead of potatoes in Potato salad, mixed with tomato sauce for spaghetti, makes a pretty good tuna salad, anybody else got some recipes????
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #503
Senior LCF member

Laura-

What type of exercise are you doing 5 days a week, and what's your doctor's expertise in exercise?

I ask because before I retired, I was a university professor, and I have had conversations with Ph.D. exercise physiologists. Lap swimming, for example, can usually be done every day (except that I don't have the stamina for that!). However, most other forms of exercise will require at least a day off after an exercise session because in stressing the muscles, we create microscopic tears that must be allowed to heal. That's actually why the body retains water--it brings it to those cells to protect them while healing.

I'm not criticizing you, but I have had such bad experiences with "omniscient" MDs that I tend to evaluate their advice very carefully. The exercise guys I've spoken with advise never to work out on consecutive days unless you're working on a different muscle group--e.g., upper body one day, lower body the next.

Also, you're not hypothyroid are you? I ask because I am, and I've been told to moderate my exercise so as not to stress my thyroid. I swim laps and have had to limit the number of laps and the days I swim--otherwise I'm totally wiped out.

I think exercise is great, and I do it for health, but I also know that it's not a panacea for all the ills in life, as some believe.

Last edited by Leo41; 01-21-2010 at 08:22 AM..
Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #504
Major LCF Poster!

I just realized I need to change my ud/dd rotation for the weekend because we have a dinner at friends Saturday night and I want it to be an UD. We're doing Mexican! Yesterday was an UD but I need tomorrow to be a DD so what do you do when you need to change? Should I have a MD today, DD tomorrow and then UD Saturday? I admit it scares me to have a MD and DD together, even though I did that Monday and Tuesday so I know I can. It's psychological!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Laura-

What type of exercise are you doing 5 days a week, and what's your doctor's expertise in exercise?

I ask because before I retired, I was a university professor, and I have had conversations with Ph.D. exercise physiologists. Lap swimming, for example, can usually be done every day (except that I don't have the stamina for that!). However, most other forms of exercise will require at least a day off after an exercise session because in stressing the muscles, we create microscopic tears that must be allowed to heal. That's actually why the body retains water--it brings it to those cells to protect them while healing.

I'm not criticizing you, but I have had such bad experiences with "omniscient" MDs that I tend to evaluate their advice very carefully. The exercise guys I've spoken with advise never to work out on consecutive days unless you're working on a different muscle group--e.g., upper body one day, lower body the next.

Also, you're not hypothyroid are you? I ask because I am, and I've been told to moderate my exercise so as not to stress my thyroid. I swim laps and have had to limit the number of laps and the days I swim--otherwise I'm totally wiped out.

I think exercise is great, and I do it for health, but I also know that it's not a panacea for all the ills in life, as some believe.
Have you heard that about cardio also or are you just referring to weights? I thought cardio was ok to do most days.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
I just realized I need to change my ud/dd rotation for the weekend because we have a dinner at friends Saturday night and I want it to be an UD. We're doing Mexican! Yesterday was an UD but I need tomorrow to be a DD so what do you do when you need to change? Should I have a MD today, DD tomorrow and then UD Saturday? I admit it scares me to have a MD and DD together, even though I did that Monday and Tuesday so I know I can. It's psychological!
I'd do today MD (1000 cals or less) Friday DD and then Saturday UD.

I'm able to do MD Sunday follwed by DD Monday when I need to. The 1000 cals MD isn't that bad and you can get at least three decent sized meals out of that number of calories.

My scale weight is inching down sloooowly after great DD yesterday (yay shirataki!) Official weigh in on Saturday AM after Friday DD. I'd LOVE to be close to Onederland again on that date.

I adventured out with new foods yet again making a one minute muffin in the microwave. It was SO GOOD! I'll have to monitor these closely to make sure they don't affect weight loss. 1/4 cup Flax Meal in the muffin.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Leo - my doc is a general/bariatric surgeon and managing my lap band for me. He has me doing 30 minutes of cardio and did in fact caution me not to "kill myself." I tend to walk on my treadmill or put in a low impact DVD. If I do any weights it is only once a week and with 3 pound dumbbells. Do you think this is too much?

I AM hypothyroid as well!

I agree with you regarding the doctors, too. I'm a former labor and delivery nurse so I know what you are talking about.

I also very much appreciate your wisdom and advice. Keep it coming!!

Laura
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'd do today MD (1000 cals or less) Friday DD and then Saturday UD.

I'm able to do MD Sunday follwed by DD Monday when I need to. The 1000 cals MD isn't that bad and you can get at least three decent sized meals out of that number of calories.

My scale weight is inching down sloooowly after great DD yesterday (yay shirataki!) Official weigh in on Saturday AM after Friday DD. I'd LOVE to be close to Onederland again on that date.

I adventured out with new foods yet again making a one minute muffin in the microwave. It was SO GOOD! I'll have to monitor these closely to make sure they don't affect weight loss. 1/4 cup Flax Meal in the muffin.
Yes, I LOVE those one minute muffins. Haven't had one in a long time. I need to figure up the calorie count. I always used 1/4 flax meal, one egg...oh, I've forgotten exactly...I remember a packet of sweetener and a splash of vanilla....what else?

Yes, you're right, I can have a decent MD today. I've had two egg whites (boiled) so far and that's only about 35 to 40 calories, so I'm off to a good start. I'll try to save most of my calories for later today.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

oh, yeah, there was butter in the muffin too...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #510

ONE MINUTE MUFFIN

This is definately an UD Food. The recipe I used is:

1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 packet splenda (I used liquid equivalent)

Mix dry ingredients.

Add 1 large egg & 1 TBS Butter (I melted in the microwave)

Stir all together stir well. Microwave for 1 minute (I did 1.5 minutes)

I plugged the nutritional information into a recipe calculater and came up with this:

Calories 302.3

Total Fat 25.6 g

Saturated Fat 9.9 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 8.1 g

Monounsaturated Fat 6.9 g

Cholesterol 243.0 mg

Sodium 145.4 mg

Potassium 189.4 mg

Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g

Dietary Fiber 9.2 g

Sugars 0.1 g

Protein 12.5 g