Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Thank you,Billl. How kind and thoughtful you are!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: Maintaining at 114 (5'5" 35 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Whole foods
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Weekly Weigh In

EmandM--I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that the Splenda in your coffee may keep you from the effects I've gotten from total abstinence. It's one of the best gifts from my parents--in their household, coffee was never sweetened, so that's always been 'normal' for me.
I don't think you will be wrong. I suspect the same thing. My parents but sugar in their tea and coffee. My dad now uses Splenda, but growing up it was always sugar. Is it the taste of sweet rather than the chemicals that is the issue? So changing to Stevia is defeating the purpose, right?

Congrats on your 1.5 pound loss, that is amazing!

Bill - it's so true about the pushing carbs being socially acceptable, and yet one would never push alcohol on an alcoholic. I guess I get caught up when I hear "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" and the mainstream message that carbs aren't bad. But I do notice that when I am craving something or emotionally eating, it's never a steak and spinach. It's always a donut and candy.

Tim - good to hear from you. How many pounds are in a stone? I could look it up but am feeling lazy! lol

Hi to e/e!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #423
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
EmandM-

Yes, from what I've read it's the taste that the body reads--and sweet is sweet, regardless of the source. Apparently, it doesn't work that way for everyone, but it certainly does for me.

I think Leisa asked about Trishagrrl. She left a while ago to try the HCG diet, and we asked her to let us know how it worked for her, but she hasn't posted. I checked a couple of times on the HCG thread here, but I wasn't very thorough. I didn't see anything from her, but it's also possible that she hasn't been posting there.

UD today and MD tomorrow (at least that's the plan).
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
In case you're feeling sorry for yourself...

Hulu - Taboo: 650-Pound Man
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Bill - I couldn't open it, it was only for access from the US.

I was reading a bit about sugar abstinence today and here is something I found that goes along with what Leo's experience has been. It was called Tips for Giving up Sugar or something like that:

Give up fake sugars. I know this is a tough one to follow: many women rely on Diet sodas when they're craving something sweet. But in my experience, aspartame, Nutrasweet, Splenda, and even low carb sugar products (protein bars that are "low sugar") don't quell sugar cravings, but increase them. A study at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio found that a person's risk for obesity went up a whopping 41% for each daily can of Diet soda. When you stop eating so much sugar, your taste buds change. You enjoy the natural sweetness of foods, even in things like almonds and carrots, and the sweetened foods are actually too sweet for your palate. For sugar sensitive individuals, I've found it's actually easier to stop eating fake sugars and real sugars. This is because once you stop eating the sugar, your physical cravings go away.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #426
Senior LCF member

This really does parallel my experience, EmandM. I've found that if I want a little "something" after a meal (happens perhaps once a week or so), if I chew on a couple of almonds (and I really mean TWO) or walnuts along with my cup of tea, I'm totally satisfied.

Another reason I avoid all those "low carb" treats that everyone touts on the Main Lobby is that I think it's a slippery slope from the low carb cheescake to the real thing. We keep our cravings alive with these things. Perhaps it's good for those who need a 'transition,' but if they continue eating this way, it becomes easier to slide into the 'real stuff' when the weight is lost--and that's when it comes back.

I find that eating simply is very, very satisfying, and I lose better this way. And perhaps because I'm old and so health conscious, but I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

1130162ney5u2jkoi.gif

Good morning everyone! DD went well yesterday at 475 calories. I managed to pass up cake at church last night. Once a month there's cake for all the people who have birthdays during that month. I just left quickly after the service and didn't even go back to the eating area. Today's UD will be a little more difficult to count calories because of what we are having, so I'm going to exercise portion control. I find it easier actually to count calories because it's less tempting to have a little bit more. I know some don't count calories on UD's but I need to manage UD's just as strictly as DD's if I plan on losing for the week.

EmandM I'm curious, how much weight did you loose on JUDDD before reaching maintenance?

To ALL my JUDDD Friends: "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ( Christopher Robin to Pooh )

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-17-2010 at 05:44 AM..
Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 AM   #428
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Congratulations to the losers this week. I'm weighing myself the day after tomorrow and hope to join you all as a loser too!

I'm interested in this sugar addiction topic you are having. It reminds me of when I started low carbing and I was promised that I would feel much better and full of energy and I would lose all my cravings (even though I didnt really have any). After a couple of months of losing (mostly water) and being miserable, I stopped losing all together even on 5g carbs per day. It was then that I realised that for me calories are key as to whether I lost weight or not and not carbs. I got the way I am today by eating when I am not hungry and eating too much of everything. I probably didnt make good food choices either!

After reading BFFM, I eat natural carbs and watch calories and combined with JUDDD its made no difference in the amount of fat I am losing as compared to low carbing. The only thing I absolutely dont compromise on is sugar and white flour because of how they make me feel when I eat them. If I eat a piece of white bread, half an hour later I get incredibly exhausted and sleepy, the classic 'sugar low' but I don't think it amounts to a sugar addiction, rather an inflated insulin response. I don't feel like this after eating any other carbs, even potatoes!?!

The problem with some low carb diets is that they assume that we are overweight because we are all sugar addicts when some of us are like this because we literally ate too much and didnt excersise enough!

What's interesting is that when I finally quit low carbing in favour of restricted calories I could have sworn that all the low carb hype about sugar addiction was nonsense. Clearly that's not the case and they are people out there with genuine sugar addictions and cravings. Just goes to show that everybody is different and what's important is to learn how your own body responds to whatever fuel you give it.

Last edited by tami73; 01-17-2010 at 05:45 AM..
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been here and I'm so happy that the JUDDD thread is still rolling successfully on!

I have been bouncing around either doing different diet plans or doing NO diet plan and after looking at my profile have nothing to show for it but a gain of 4 pounds!!

So starting out fresh today with a DD. It's been some time since I've JUDDDed so DDs may be a white-knucklers this week.

Have a great day!
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Elgee! 651171i085p8my3i.gif I remember you from my first time around with JUDDD. I have pretty much the same story of leaving and trying different plans. I came back in Nov., and know now that this is the plan for me. Great success to you with JUDDD this time!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #431
Senior LCF member

Ellgee-

Even after more than a year of steady JUDDD, I have some DDs that are "white knucklers." What I usually do is remind myself, "You've done this before, and you can do it today." When I began, I assumed that I'd die if I ate <500 cal a day, but since I haven't, I know I have no excuse

Tami-

I don't know that I'd call myself a sugar "addict." I've always loved sweet things, and I gave up "real" sugar because I knew it wasn't healthy. But it was only when I started JUDDD that the low calories on DDs showed me that my body responds to ALL sweeteners the same way--i.e., increased insulin, increased hunger. That's why I gave them up. The positive aspect of this that I didn't anticipate is that my 'sweet tooth' seems to have vanished since I don't 'taste' anything sweet at all.

I don't think I actually 'craved' sweets, but I do know that I never saw a chocolate bar that I didn't want to eat. Now I can be in the presence of all kinds of desserts (e.g., at a restaurant) and not be tempted at all.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #432
Senior LCF Member

Tami and Leo, I agree with your perspectives and thanks for sharing your experiences with sugar. I don't think I am a true sugar addict either. I just know I have a huge sweet tooth and if given the choice, I would eat chocolate cake for dinner every night. Obviously that isn't the healthiest ways of eating. I DO think it's simple math of calories in versus calories out FOR ME. Everyone is different. But I would like to change my tastebuds a bit so that I don't get overly excited on Fridays when it's treats in the staffroom. I can eat a ton of sugar and not feel that satisfied. I would like to only want some once in awhile and only have a few bites.

Redeemed. I lost most of my weight (only ever about 20-25 pounds overweight in my lifetime while on prednisone) following CAD. I came to JUDDD last year as I was bored with CAD and looking for something I could do longterm. JUDDD helped with my emotional eating so I stuck with it!

Last edited by EmandM; 01-17-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Old 01-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #433
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: robsmom2
Hi I have been ordering foods from this site for over a year and today I checked out the message boards and here you all are I have been on JUDDD woe since Nov 08 I started for weight loss and for the health benefits also which have been wonderful to me I am off all my medications which was my goal along with weight loss of course but the side effects of my medications were the main reason for trying this woe I LOVE JUDDD I reached my 1st goal in Sept 09 lost 60 # now I am trying for my 2nd "dream weight" and am doing pretty good so far I maintained for 4 months eating 800 calories on dd and whatever I wanted on ud but now am back to under 500 for dd to try to reach my 2nd goal So here's to all you "losers" I hope to join you all here for support and to give it too.........MJ
robsmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

MJ 913901a6fm472zor.gif How nice to have a big time looser like you join us!!!! I'm sure you have gained a lot of knowledge - looking forward to knowing what you have learned to succeed with JUDDD.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Hi MF and How funny that you haven't checked out the boards before! That is great that JUDDD worked so well for you. Congrats on the 60 # loss. Amazing!

to Elgee as well! Looking forward to getting to know you both!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
MJ! What great success you have had! That is just wonderful!

My heart is heavy this afternoon as my 19 year old daughter went back to college. I never saw myself as the clingy mom but watching her drive away just gets harder and harder! BUT I am not comforting myself with food and on this DD have only had about 160 calories.

I think I'm also going to pick up some knitting to keep my hands busy and my mind occupied.

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #437
Senior LCF member

Welcome MJ-

I found this board the same way! I'd been ordering from Netrition for a while, and one day just decided to check out the 'message boards.' However, I came to JUDDD much later--after I stalled for about a year (2008) on standard low carb.

You've done what's highly recommended when losing a lot--i.e., taking a break to maintain for a while before trying to go lower. I anticipate being in that situation sometime this summer, but I have a 2-week cruise next month on which I know that my <400 cal DDs will be difficult [probably impossible], so I was planning to try to maintain instead by making sure I don't go over 800 cal on those DDs.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Got some confirmation this am that JUDDD is working for me again-the "3#bounce" I always have is creeping lower.
My addiction is alive and well-yesterday after Sunday Mass coffee hour-always sail right by the coffee cake, but yesterday was an upday, and someone had brought homemade chocolate with nuts and my brain obscessed about that all day long and into the night, that I probably coulda/shoulda eaten that.lol. I really am crazy when it comes to food.
Anyway, JUDDD does make it easier not to listen to the crazy in my head. Today is a DD and I am looking forward to resting my insides.
Keep up the good work everyone, this site is just delightful, the way everyone is so unique.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #439
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: robsmom2
Thanks all for the great welcome I haven't been on many support sites since Dr Johnson quit his forum site but I have quite a few friends and family that are Juddding also so that really helps We all have been very successful so far The health benefits are fantastic for me I did this with my doctors approval by the way and she continues to be amazed at how healthy I have become after being sick about 3 years ago I got sick had surgery went thru chemo therarpy gained weight with all the medication found this woe and am now off all medication with my doctors approval and I LOVE THIS WOE I am also so grateful that I am tall and that I am active so I can eat at the top of the scale and still be ok My sister is short and she is losing but not as fast as I did and I think it is because she is so short Everyone have a great day.......ONWARD AND DOWNWARD...........MJ
robsmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Timiano
Stats: 252/236/196 - 6'2 (Only 40 to go :-/)
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: December 7th 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmom2 View Post
ONWARD AND DOWNWARD
I like that
Timiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #441
Senior LCF member

MJ- It is so great that you've experienced health benefits from JUDDD. I feel great eating this way, and I'm hoping that there are health benefits, too.

Monday DD, but I wound up with two UDs on the weekend. In fact, Sunday wound up being an uber-UD because I was hungry all day long. I ate only healthy, low carb things, but I ate a lot. I'm not worried because one high calorie day a month seems to help me, and this is my first (and, I hope, last) in January.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #442
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Checking In.

DD today.

Totally white knuckling it!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #443
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
DD today.

Totally white knuckling it!
Fasting today...and though I am not hungry, I have had the "eat impulse" about thirty times. I am trying to sort out all my food issues:

--habits
--impulses
--compulsions
--addictions
--susceptibility to suggestion/encouragement from friends/family/media

This "impulse to eat" thing is fairly new in my awareness: usually I have been able to identify some underlying reason (boredom, habit usually) but this is something I have yet to figure out. Trying not to obsess about it.

Kisha, you look beautiful in your new picture. Where's the emoticon for a wolf whistle?

--bill
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Fasting today...and though I am not hungry, I have had the "eat impulse" about thirty times. I am trying to sort out all my food issues:

--habits
--impulses
--compulsions
--addictions

This "impulse to eat" thing is fairly new in my awareness: usually I have been able to identify some underlying reason (boredom, habit usually) but this is something I have yet to figure out. Trying not to obsess about it.

Kisha, you look beautiful in your new picture. Where's the emoticon for a wolf whistle?

--bill
awwww thanks! Yeah I thought I should put something recent since I was probably 260 in my old avi.

Usually my urge to eat is boredom related. So much so that I've decided boredom is an emotion (and I am thus an emotional eater)! Also the comfort factor comes into play... not like I have a bad feeling and eat to feel better but more like spoiling and indulging myself. Today I'm just hungry since I ate some carbs over the weekend. My stomach feels empty.

I'll probably eat after work and then put myself to bed early cuz its terribly stormy out here.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
I am trying to sort out all my food issues:

--habits
--impulses
--compulsions
--addictions

--bill
OMG Bill, I love you! This is so helpful! Now, may I ask, what do you do when these feelings/emotions/habits or what not come up. That is my problem, trying to figure out what to do instead of eating through them.

Kisha - agreed. Your new pic is awesome!

Leo - I bet your high UD will be true to your experience in the past in that it brings a loss!

So far so good on the no sugar thing. It's amazing how available it is in my daily life, and I am referring only to work! There are cookies and things in the staffroom almost every day and again at our staff meeting tonight! I reminded myself all day that I would NOT be eating anything sugary and that helped me avoid the cookies at the meeting. I still had Splenda in my coffee (baby steps). I spoke with a co-worker who gave up sugar for a year and he said it took a good month for his tastebuds to change but they DID change and he felt great. Not sure why he started again, but he did. Then another co-worker who is on Weight Watchers said "why go sugar-free if you don't have any ailments? Why put yourself through that if you aren't diabetic or have other medical issues? I'm 45 and feel great." I kept my mouth shut but was thinking "you don't have any issues now, but could be preventing some later..." I only kept my mouth shut as the bell rang and this woman just likes to argue!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

DD went well. Have not been counting UD's like I know I need to, but have kept up the UD/DD alternation. Felt like going off DD this evening, but told myself the old, "I can have it tomorrow morning."

MJ So encouraging to hear of your and your family's successes with JUDDD!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #447
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
OMG Bill, I love you! This is so helpful! Now, may I ask, what do you do when these feelings/emotions/habits or what not come up. That is my problem, trying to figure out what to do instead of eating through them.

So far so good on the no sugar thing. It's amazing how available it is in my daily life, and I am referring only to work! There are cookies and things in the staffroom almost every day and again at our staff meeting tonight! I reminded myself all day that I would NOT be eating anything sugary and that helped me avoid the cookies at the meeting. I still had Splenda in my coffee (baby steps). I spoke with a co-worker who gave up sugar for a year and he said it took a good month for his tastebuds to change but they DID change and he felt great. Not sure why he started again, but he did. Then another co-worker who is on Weight Watchers said "why go sugar-free if you don't have any ailments? Why put yourself through that if you aren't diabetic or have other medical issues? I'm 45 and feel great." I kept my mouth shut but was thinking "you don't have any issues now, but could be preventing some later..." I only kept my mouth shut as the bell rang and this woman just likes to argue!
What do I do...still working on that. I try to stay occupied with something. If the hunger impulse nags, I drink some water or unsweetened herbal tea (hot or cold). Mostly I try not to dwell on it. I do tell myself that I can have ________ "tomorrow" (but I try not to dwell on that). I think the best thing that I do is remind myself that I am re-learning how to eat to be healthy. I hope that I am not developing a new obsession, but I do find that successful fast days are empowering.

About sugar...I think that after some time, it may be possible to have it occasionally. Yesterday, my sister visited and brought teppan yaki for everyone. When I was struggling with LC in years past, I would still occasionally dine at hibachi style restaurants. Especially if the chef understands low carb, it is entirely possible to eat a very good meal there. But sometimes those foods would trigger me, even if I avoided the rice. The meal yesterday was fairly hearty--chicken (not much teriyaki and sadly no sesame seeds) with mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini and onions; also carrots cooked (I'm sure) in sugar, and the traditional shrimp sauce. I ate everything, and in 2 hours, my blood glucose was under 120. I was very pleasantly surprised. I did not experience any cravings. I had a very low carb dinner... However, it just occurred to me that the sugar (and carbs) in the carrots and shrimp sauce (which incidentally tasted sweeter to me than I remember that particular sauce, but the fam assures me it tastes just as it always did) might be responsible for my impulse to eat all day. I will be having teppan yaki again. As soon as possible.

I hope everyone is OK. Kinda busy on the homefront, but not sick any more.

--bill
"I read this book about how some scientists tried to get primates to paint. For 10 years they worked on it, and nothing happened. Then, one of the monkeys suddenly began to paint, and what it painted were the bars of its cage. So, in my writing, I believe I'm painting the bars of my cage so that I can get out. This is something you have to get done before you can meaningfully move on in any way."--Ferron

Last edited by BillB; 01-18-2010 at 05:04 PM..
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
DD went well. Have not been counting UD's like I know I need to, but have kept up the UD/DD alternation. Felt like going off DD this evening, but told myself the old, "I can have it tomorrow morning."

MJ So encouraging to hear of your and your family's successes with JUDDD!

Good for you! I'm already battling myself to hold onto this DD after I get home from work. Its horrendous thunder storms here in N.Cali so I'll be staying in tonight for sure. My old get out of the house trick isn't going to work (plus I'm getting a freaking ZIT OMG).

Right now I'm leaning towards EATING when I get home. Some egg whites scrambled with one whole egg and green beans and some hard parm.

um yeah it sounds gross but I'm acclimated to less than delicious food on DD and it *should* at least fill me up.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Good for you! I'm already battling myself to hold onto this DD after I get home from work. Its horrendous thunder storms here in N.Cali so I'll be staying in tonight for sure. My old get out of the house trick isn't going to work (plus I'm getting a freaking ZIT OMG).

Right now I'm leaning towards EATING when I get home. Some egg whites scrambled with one whole egg and green beans and some hard parm.

um yeah it sounds gross but I'm acclimated to less than delicious food on DD and it *should* at least fill me up.
PMS? (Urge to binge, zits - sounds suspicious to me.) You can have it tomorrow, and you'll feel good you waited.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Hey everyone! We went to Gatlinburg Saturday, spur of the moment and just got home this evening. It feels good to be home and I've been in cleaning mode since we got here. I ate and ate and ate Saturday and Sunday....big, big UD's, even though I know I talked about at least doing fast 5 on Saturday...my resolve was NOT there. So, today I was aiming for a dd but didn't quite make it. I had a small hazelnut cappuccino at McD's this morning (150 cal), then had a small burger later....probably 500 cal....then had an egg cream tonight..another 250 cal. About 900 calories today. Definitely NOT a dd menu..more like a MD for me. I'm not sure what to do. I would LOVE to have a successful DD tomorrow, but I am white knuckling it right now and am wondering if I can do it. What would you all do? After two days of practically binging (compared to usual) I want a break from all the eating, but after eating so much, my stomach is expecting it now, lol! I know I will probably have to really just suffer through my first dd but can't decide if it should be tomorrow or just do an UD and then a good DD Wednesday. I plan on working out good tomorrow afternoon also. thoughts?