Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #391
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Joannew-

Welcome. I don't think JUDDD works that way. First, Dr. J is very definite that for the first two weeks, every DD should be 500 cal or less.

Second, you get your DD calorie number from a calculator (it's in the book, but it's easier to go to the JUDDD website and do it online). When you do the calculation, there's a place for exercise. Once you've put in the degree of exercise that you do, you don't deduct anything else--it's an absolute number.

By the way, Dr. J also suggests that given the low number of calories on DDs, a person should not exercise, but many people on this board do so. I've done it a couple of times, but I've never added any calories because my level of exercise is already factored into the calculations.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joannew
Stats: 149/145.8/135 (5'5', 61 yy)
WOE: 800 cals.
Start Date: 12/11/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Joanne- welcome to the group. As to your question, you do not get to add the full amount of the calories burned. The way I would figure in the additional calories for your
exercise day is to just use the calculator set to a higher activity level than the one you usually would use. The activity level setting already builds in an additional calorie burn. Another way to go would just be to add 20% of the additional calories burned to your daily total on down days where you work out.
Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Joannew-

Welcome. I don't think JUDDD works that way. First, Dr. J is very definite that for the first two weeks, every DD should be 500 cal or less.

Second, you get your DD calorie number from a calculator (it's in the book, but it's easier to go to the JUDDD website and do it online). When you do the calculation, there's a place for exercise. Once you've put in the degree of exercise that you do, you don't deduct anything else--it's an absolute number.

By the way, Dr. J also suggests that given the low number of calories on DDs, a person should not exercise, but many people on this board do so. I've done it a couple of times, but I've never added any calories because my level of exercise is already factored into the calculations.
Thank You for the explanation.....I remember now that it asked for my activity level.
Joannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
This has been a bit of a white knuckling DD for me today. I wanted to throw it all away this morning and just eat and almost did a couple of times, so I'm really proud of the fact that I have stuck to it. I've had a headache all day long (think it had to do with the late night in the ER and then having a big glass of wine when I got home. I just had my first calories for the day. An eggcream...one egg, one scoop protein powder and a cup of almond breeze...240 calories. I'll have another one later probably. I'll be very glad when tomorrow comes!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Ended up just having 50 calories worth of deli turkey. I just really needed something solid...very odd for me because, like I said, I'm usually just fine with only liquids, but today seems to be different. I'll either have another egg cream or stick to the turkey for the rest of my calories if I need them.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/161/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Hi everyone! I have been reading through this thread (not done yet!) and at one point actually tried JUDDD. I was wondering if anyone here is following more of the EAT STOP EAT plan (2-24 hr. fasts per week)? I'm thinking this will work better for me. I was hoping I could get some insight from anyone doing the ESE plan. I plan on finishing reading the thread and may get might my answer there!! TIA!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Hi everyone! I have been reading through this thread (not done yet!) and at one point actually tried JUDDD. I was wondering if anyone here is following more of the EAT STOP EAT plan (2-24 hr. fasts per week)? I'm thinking this will work better for me. I was hoping I could get some insight from anyone doing the ESE plan. I plan on finishing reading the thread and may get might my answer there!! TIA!
Fjeld does 2 DD's per week. She posts on here at times but does not have access to a computer right now. I also have tried 2 DD's a week which worked, but I am in maintenance. Give it a try and see how your body responds. Good luck!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
morning001.gif

Joannew and J4Christ: 651171i085p8my3i.gif

Just checking in. Will not be weighing tomorrow . Will start my DD/UD rotation over tomorrow for the week. I'm off for my interview. I hope I don't get asked the inevitable "What is your long term goal?" question. I don't think "I want to see Jesus," will fly. Frankly, I'm looking forwad to retirement - and I can't say that either. Oh well, here goes. I'm off.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Attachment 27412

Joannew and J4Christ: Attachment 27413

Just checking in. Will not be weighing tomorrow . Will start my DD/UD rotation over tomorrow for the week. I'm off for my interview. I hope I don't get asked the inevitable "What is your long term goal?" question. I don't think "I want to see Jesus," will fly. Frankly, I'm looking forwad to retirement - and I can't say that either. Oh well, here goes. I'm off.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Redeemed, I will pray all goes well at your interview. You're right though, those responses probably won't go over well, lol! well, unless you're interviewing at the pearly gates, ha! Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

UD for me today. Was up at 6am after going to bed at 8:30 last night.....was absolutely exhausted! I never do that but sure needed it last night. I've already had breakfast,lol.....no fast 5 for me today. I'm trying to really formulate a plan for my weight loss and maintenance (especially maintenance) this time because I think that my biggest downfall when I hit my goal last time....no real plan. I would like my plan to be fast 5 and JUDDD for weightloss, then drop the fast 5 on UD's but keep it on DD's for maintenace. I've already blown that plan this morning though and so I'm considering what's realistic for me. Maybe fast 5 my UD's 2 out of every 3 and then just let myself have the 3rd UD as a day without fast 5? I just need to think it through, but end up with a concrete plan. No concrete plan is my biggest downfall....if I have a plan, even if I have to veer off temporarily for some reason, it's still there and I can come back to it.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Good luck, Redeemed....let us know how it goes!

Well, not the greatest week here....two of my three DD's turned into MD's. Didn't bother getting on the scale this morning cause I didn't want to get discouraged. I gave this a lot of thought yesterday and think I really need to get my LC eating under control before I go any further with JUDD. I haven't been doing LC on UD's at all (and in fact haven't ever done LC except for my stint with the Food Addict's Anonymous diet). I need to get rid of these cravings and get my BS more stabilized (not diabetic but certainly prediabetic and getting scared).

It's not JUDD's fault, but the way I'm utilizing it with crazy amounts of sugar on UD's and then none on DD's and it's just not working for me. I feel like I'm more addicted than ever to the refined carbs and need to get this under control. Gonna start with cutting out the sugar and white flour (as of today) and sticking with whole grains for a week or two and then reassess from there with my BS's to see just how strict I have to get with my carb levels....plan on tracking everything on Daily Plate and really keeping close track of what I'm eating. I desperately need to stop eating at night after dinner also....that is a deadly time for me in the evenings when I'm watching TV.

I'm hoping to come back to JUDD once I get the carbs under control. I just know me....have to do this in baby steps and trying to do both at once isn't gonna work. I'll still be here and post now and then if that's okay, cause I have learned so much from all of you here and love the support you have for one another.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #401
Senior LCF member

Normally, I only swim laps on UDs, but I couldn't go yesterday morning (too exhausted for some reason), so I went this morning after 100 cal and coffee. I feel fine, so I think that DD exercise will work--although I don't plan to continue on DDs except in situations like this.

My pre-swim breakfast was egg white/spinach omelet. 100 cal, 10g protein

After my swim, I had a protein shake (unflavored whey, coffee, tsp unsweetened cocoa, cinnamon)--100 cal., 18g protein

I hope to finish the day with just my turkey broth, but if my Netrition order arrives, I might indulge in an Ostrim stick for 70 cal.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Normally, I only swim laps on UDs, but I couldn't go yesterday morning (too exhausted for some reason), so I went this morning after 100 cal and coffee. I feel fine, so I think that DD exercise will work--although I don't plan to continue on DDs except in situations like this.

My pre-swim breakfast was egg white/spinach omelet. 100 cal, 10g protein

After my swim, I had a protein shake (unflavored whey, coffee, tsp unsweetened cocoa, cinnamon)--100 cal., 18g protein

I hope to finish the day with just my turkey broth, but if my Netrition order arrives, I might indulge in an Ostrim stick for 70 cal.
Leo, I think that might have been my problem last night and why I was so exhausted. I had the appt with the personal trainer yesterday at the gym and after we talked, I hated to just leave without doing "something", so I did a circuit of the machines working both upper and lower body after doing 5 minutes on the elliptical to warm up. I felt completely drained afterwards and just never recovered, went to bed at 8:30 and slept hard. when I was doing fast 5 and juddd before, I worked out with no problem on dd's but that was not the case this time. Maybe it was just a one time thing.. but I'll have to make sure I don't have any evening activities to do before I try it again. As it was, I had to let dh take my daughter to ballet so I could go to bed.

Have you had the Ostrim snacks before? I assume if you have, you like them or you wouldn't have ordered more. they look good! oh, question! How many egg whites do you use for the 100 cal omelet?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #403
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Haven't heard of that plan... I will say though that the fast should *probably* be longer than 24 hours. On JUDD the "fasting period" (during which we do take in calories) is at least 36 hours because it includes the sleep time. So you go to bed after UD sleep eight hours, then have your 24 hour DD not eating until the next morning (UD morning)
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #404
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-

I think you're wise to go low carb before you continue with JUDDD because I doubt I'd be able to do it if I weren't eating strictly low carb. When I came to JUDDD, I'd already been eating about 30g carbs daily for a few years. My CCL is very low, so if I weren't eating LC, I'd be too ravenous for DDs. I'm sure that's what's throwing you off because I know that what I eat on UDs affects how I feel on my DDs. Just keep posting with us because we love you and want to share your success

Leisa-

I like Ostrim sticks except that they're VERY salty. The first time I ordered them (a long while ago), they only had the original kind, but now they make one with NO additives at all (no nitrates, etc.), and that's what I now order. However, I use them mainly for traveling, and rarely have more than one or two a week if I'm just home (the sodium content is high, but something I can manage if I watch salt otherwise). I bought these for my cruise next month, so I just wanted to sample the new type I bought (pepper) when they arrive. (I'm probably the only person in the world who brings food on a cruise

I buy the eggwhites in my supermarket brand (Price Chopper) that's just the whites, nothing added. On the container, they give a recipe for making them with added veggies (I use chopped spinach) in the microwave with no added fat. They give a calorie count on the package, and I figured that 1/3 cup is 35 cal, and I add for the spinach to a total of 50 cal for my "omelet" (I make it in a soup cup, and it looks like a McDonald's egg). I had two of them this morning [thus my 100 cal], although I usually only have one.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caramel
Stats: 164/164/140
Start Date: 11/25/11--12/1/14 restart
Hello everyone,

DD for me today and this one was kind of easy, maybe in part because I did a lot of house cleaning today, anyway had my 170 calories already and will have a 300 calorie dinner. Broiled fish is a good choice for me cause it's low in calories and I can get enough to satify my hunger.

oh forgot down to 143 this week that is a 3 pound weight loss since last week.
never changed my siggy because I was determined it would not be long till I get back to it.

Will talk to you later
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Carmel and Ouis Congratulations on the weight loss. Good job.
Sherrie You're smart to try to take one step at a time. I wish you the best. So glad you will still post here to let us know how you are doing.
Snaggle and GrammyPat Glad you're getting back into the swing of things - JUDDD-wise.
Kisha So glad you're back and ready to start JUDDDing!

Today's interview went well I think - at least one of the interviewers said so after my three-panel interview with county executives. The only thing is that it took me an hour to get there. I mapped out a short cut that would save me fifteen minutes, but still, that's a long drive. Minnesota can get some bad weather, so I'll have to do some thinking about this. They said they will call me next week and let me know "where they are at in the process". Tomorrow I start DD/UD alternation for seven days, then will weigh.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-15-2010 at 06:46 PM..
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Caramel- I am proud of you getting right back down to siggy weight. I am 12 lbs over my goal too, although what kills me is that I was as low as 146.5 six weeks ago.
I am moving very slow back down.
What kind of fish do you broil? How do you season it? I really need to eat more fish and
am so uninspired to cook it, when it is too rainy to grill. It would be so nice to have one that I could do in the oven.

Sherrie- I think you are right about juddd and your sugar/carb issues. Until those are managed, (which will probably require a permanent lower carb plan) I think it would be
too hard to do juddd. I do have carbs on my up days, but really try to not let myself use them as an excuse to gorge on carbs. My problem is that I easily could. This is why, for me, up days really aren't at all about eating whatever I want. If I did, (or could get away with it, which I can't) I would eat all sorts of crap that would do me zero benefit nutritionally. As it is, I allow for a reasonable portion of rice, potato or some starch at meals and perhaps a small dessert sometimes. I do think that if I cut those out, I may drop lbs faster, but this way I feel like I am a "normal" eater, which, for some reason, is important for me in order to stay on plan for the long haul.
Good luck and we hope you stick around here!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
congrats Redeemed on the good interview--I see it all happening if you want it.

Rocky day--flew to LA and had to visit my very ill MIL before heading to Newport Beach---I didn't eat enough and fell into a bowl of nuts at the bar--I have 4 more days of this vacation and i am already feeling bad about it. I was on such a roll at home too. Well--buck up and all that--I will report as I can.

have a good weekend all

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Redeemed- It sounds like you may have a bit of angst about the job? I know for me that I could not do a long commute after being spoiled the last 20 years of living right near my business. Commuting is hard and draining, although if the job is worth it......?

Ouis--- good luck. I know what you mean about nuts, I just need to walk away when a bowl is near because I have ZERO portion control with them. (as long as they are salted)
good luck!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Quis Hope the rest of the trip goes well. When I get the rest I need I have more willpower over things like nuts and such.

Snaggle Yes, I am having some reservations about the job. Once I get to the Dept. of Health each day, I will have home visits also - lots of driving -and a caseload of fifty people. I may try it and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction, I can always come back to the agency I'm with now.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Redeemed - that is something to think about, but if the job is worth it... I work at a school that is 40 minutes from my home. In the winter during snowstorms it has taken me up to 2.5 hours to get there. As a teacher, I could easily apply for a transfer to one of the schools in my neighbourhood, but I LOVE the school I work in. I love the staff, the students, the administrators and the community. The community is VERY different from where I live. I live in a neighbourhood full of soccer moms who think their kids all deserve A's just because they are "their" kids (I'm not one of them btw). I teach in a lower socio-economic neighbourhood with many immigrants new to the country, who value education and want their children to have a better life. World of a difference. So I will not transfer and therefore I don't mind the commute.

Caramel - KUTGW!

Ouis - sorry you are having an off moment. JUDDD is VERY forgiving of slip-ups, so don't stress too much.

Snaggle/Everyone - you hit the nail on the head when you wrote about what you want versus what is healthy. I have sort of had that A-ha moment this week with all the discussion about sugar. Although I haven't mentioned it publicly on the boards yet, I will throw it out there. I have abstained from sugar for the last 3 days. I am not giving it up for good (that mindset is detrimental. I am a rebel at heart) but I am going to go as long as I can in hopes of changing my tastebuds so I don't want as much and, like Leo, it doesn't taste as good to me. I will still have Splenda in my coffee and if I find I am still craving sweets after awhile I will give that up too (or do my darndest trying)!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Emand I can really relate to what you posted. My most cherished memories of being a nurse have working with low income immigrants. They appreciate so much. So many people can be rude and just waiting (almost hoping it seems) for a nurse to make a wrong move. I totally understand what you are saying.

Can someone tell me what happened to Trishgirrrrl? I always enjoyed her posts. Tim, if you're reading, hope you are doing well.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Emand I can really relate to what you posted. My most cherished memories of being a nurse have working with low income immigrants. They appreciate so much. So many people can be rude and just waiting (almost hoping it seems) for a nurse to make a wrong move. I totally understand what you are saying.

Can someone tell me what happened to Trishgirrrrl? I always enjoyed her posts. Tim, if you're reading, hope you are doing well.
ooh, I remember Trishgirrrrl! I always loved reading her updates as well. I've been wondering about some others that I used to enjoy keeping up with....Mushy? Need to search for him. Such an inspiration.

Going away for the weekend....last minute decision to go to Gatlinburg for the weekend, so I won't be back online before Monday night. I don't know if I'll be able to pull off a DD tomorrow....not sure if it will be worth a try....my dh doesn't know I'm doing this this time around.....he is so very supportive of me, but in his ignorance (in a nice way, lol) he thinks I "need to eat".....it comes purely out of love for me but it's hard doing JUDDD with him saying, oh, but don't you need to eat? At home it's not hard but being in the car tomorrow traveling and then eating out tomorrow evening will be harder. If I can pull off a fast 5, I might do that though. I have really come to look forward to the empty feeling on dd's....as hard as yesterdays dd was, I think it was that feeling of empty that felt good that kept me from giving in to the desire to eat. It was definitely more psychological than anything else. We more than likely will have access to a salad bar tomorrow night so maybe fast 5 until dinner, then a nice salad. That would taste SO good! We'll see.

Hope you all have a wonderful long weekend and I'll see you Monday night! (in case I don't have time to check in tomorrow morning)
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Had a pretty good UD in spite of a potluck at church,7 potato dishes, lol, am looking forward to a DD tomorrow.I haven't been eating enough protein, so will watch that more this coming week, I get fatigued easily if I don't watch the protein intake.and my hair falls out. I need about 3 servings a day, 3 shakes will do that, so I have no excuse. even on DDs.
Thanks for the tip on the egg sandwiches, with hi fiber bread that is really filling. Wasn't even hungry all day.
Everyone is doing so well, even if it is midwinter, bless us everyone!!
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 AM   #415
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In

Down 1.5 lbs this week--and I'm thrilled to see the scale still moving down. (I have a fear of gaining my way out of onederland, so getting as far below 200 as I can is a current goal--today 194.5.)

Congratulations Caramel on 3 lbs--that's terrific!

Snaggle--I've learned that I'll never be a 'normal' eater. When I first did Atkins in the early 70s, I discovered that my CCL is very low, but I was young and dumb at the time, so that fact didn't really register with me, and I always felt that I could eat 'normally'--thus, 300+ in weight!

Now I know that I really need to avoid all sugar and starch--for good. Now that "primal" eating is popular, I feel that my WOE is very trendy rather than weird I don't feel at all deprived, and physically I feel great eating this way, so I regard "normal'" (i.e., bread, potatoes, pasta, dessert) as "abnormal" for me. The fact that you can deal with 'normal' foods indicates that you don't have my physical issues; we're all different.

Ouis--I hope the trip goes well, but there are worse things to 'fall into' than a bowl of nuts. I could have been chips! At least nuts have great nutritional value.

Leisa--I hope your trip goes well, too. I know what you mean about the "empty" feeling on DDs. It really is quite pleasant, and I know that my body seems to 'look forward' to those days.

EmandM--I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that the Splenda in your coffee may keep you from the effects I've gotten from total abstinence. It's one of the best gifts from my parents--in their household, coffee was never sweetened, so that's always been 'normal' for me.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:04 AM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Timiano
Stats: 252/236/196 - 6'2 (Only 40 to go :-/)
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: December 7th 2009
Quote:
Tim, if you're reading, hope you are doing well.
Hiya!

I'm still here, but not had much time to check-in on here and catch up. Had a chest infection from the first week of Jan for about a week and a bit. Nothing serious, just took me out of action and felt like I was on another planet.

It's been unseasonably cold and snowy here in the UK for the past 2 weeks, with a lot of the UK grinding to a halt and shutting down. We're not geared up for snow as we don't get it every year.

Anyway, through it all I've managed to stay on plan with my UDs and DDs which are always AWFs for now. I can report since starting this way of eating since December 7th, I've now lost 16lbs. Started at 252, and I'm now 236 which is encouraging. I should have never let myself get to 252 to be honest though and my now 236 would have been a much easier starting point - hey ho.

As I've got body fat scales this has been useful in keeping up the understanding of what's going on. Not that they are hugely accurate for BF%, but they do show a trend. That trend was that although I was weighing in sometime the same weight between week or just a bit down, I was holding on to a lot of water. Well it all wooshed out over the last week and a bit and I dropped loads of pure weight. So the moral for me is keep an eye of the BF% and weight for the woosh, it'll come.

Under 17st is a happy place to be

I hope you're all happy and doing well, and the start to the new year hasn't got you too

Back on the Wagon?...What Wagon?!
Timiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 AM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Still one lb. away from pre-Christmas

Just checkin' in to say I'm still one pound away from where I was before Christmas, in spite of a good DD yesterday. Although my DH and I went shopping after work which means we did a lot of walking. So I try to remember what Leo said about this WOE having such wild weigh-ins and that the weight loss is not always a consistent downward trend. So I'll just have to keep on truckin' and wait for the whoosh fairy!

Congratulations Ouis and Caramel and Leo and Tim and Bill on your weight loss! Wow! it's great to be around this much success!!!

Sherrie, I know you'll figure out what's best for you, and I'm behind you 150%!. If nothing else, this WOE is an excellent tool for self-discovery! Look at what you've learned about YOU already! Weight Watchers never did that for me. And Snaggle, you'll lose the weight - you did before, and you will again! The nice part is that you know what you have to do in order to do it. I love that I finally have a plan (JUDDD) for life. All I have to do now is work the plan!

It's my birthday Sunday; will be seeing one of my sons who I don't get to see that often and my brother is coming into town this afternoon. I'll be getting plenty of exercise today cleaning the house . So I will try to do damage control by eating as LC as I can both days and back to DD on Monday. Although, the idea of Fast 5 is intriguing; maybe I could do that today or tomorrow. I don't have a birthday cake to worry about tomorrow, so that's good!

Redeemed, if you pray on it, the guidance about the job will come to you, but then again, you know this already.
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Thank you all for all the support and encouragement....even when leaving the JUDD fold! I am learning a lot about my own body and how it reacts to what I feed it. Guess you CAN teach an old horse new tricks!

Congratulations to all the LOSERS () this week....wow, you're all doing well. Leo, before you know it the 190's will be a thing of the past too. Grammy Pat, I have a feeling that one pound is doomed this week...it will be gone.

Redeemed...is there any chance the new agency can give you cases out toward your direction and you wouldn't have to check in with the office first thing, but could work your way in seeing patients? We used to do that with the nurses that lived at a distance.

Company coming again this weekend and need to get cleaning here. Hope everyone has a good week.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Tim Glad you're still with us. Glad you're feeling better. You have quite a lot of discipline to do AWF's for your DD's.

Leo Congratulations on another pound!

Leisa Have a nice trip. Glad to hear your daughter didn't have a broken bone.

GrammyPat You'll be back to where you left off in no time. I'll tell you now in case you are too busy to check the board tomorrow.

Sherrie Good advice. I thought I would ask the new agency that same thing, but will have to wait until the second round of interviews.

DD here. Looking forward to this one. I have the day off, so it will be hot cereal with almond milk around 5PM. We have been having really nice weather for January. But it's still January - who knows what's around the corner.

Fawn posted this link on the ML for a nutritious cup of broth (45 calories; 11 gms carbs):

http://rebeccakatz.com/recipes/magic_mineral_broth.html

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-16-2010 at 08:04 AM..
Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
I gave this a lot of thought yesterday and think I really need to get my LC eating under control before I go any further with JUDD.
Sherrie, I know a lot of people have already chimed in with wise advice here, and I agree. You've come to an important conclusion about carbs, which is a major step. Getting off the "carb train" is hard--there are so many affirmations of the carb-heavy diet (social, media, low-fat propaganda from the "medical" experts, etc) that not participating defines one as deviant. Leo is right, though, the "primal blueprint" "diet" is hip and trendy, and it's easy to smugly say, "No thanks, I eat primal." (I don't do that though...I just say "I don't care for _______.") For some of us, carbs are physically and emotionally addictive. No other addiction offers as much temptation as carbs: if one is quitting (or trying to quit) smoking, it would be just plain wrong to offer them a cigarette. But people feel entitled to foist pie and biscuits on someone who's choosing low-carb. One cannot watch TV, shop or dine out without being faced with a temptation or a difficult choice. Instead of "just saying no" occasionally, one must "just say no" constantly. The beauty of it is that it gets easier every time. I believe you can make these changes. I agree with others that I could not do JUDDD if I were not already doing LC. I had several years (not consecutive, necessarily, ) of LC under my belt before I ever considered JUDDD. I must say, that LC taught me only about the chemistry of my food problems. It did not teach me anything about my food portions or habits. I can only imagine that eating high carbs every other day, and then eating under 500 cals on the other days is hell. I bet you are a wreck and have been beating yourself up over it. However you do proceed with your journey, I hope you will stay and participate here, and keep us posted about what is working for you. You can do hard things, and the more you do them, the easier they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel View Post
Broiled fish is a good choice for me cause it's low in calories and I can get enough to satisfy my hunger.

oh forgot down to 143 this week that is a 3 pound weight loss since last week.
Thanks for mentioning the fish. I need to eat it more often, and I do enjoy the flavor, as well as knowing (or at least believing) it's a great choice for health. Fresh fish always seems so expensive though, and it's easy to talk myself out of it whenever I'm shopping. If I were in a bigger city where there were more (and fresher and cheaper) fish choices, I think I could do better. 3 pounds in a week is great...especially when you have so little to lose. You are doing great!

Quote:
The only thing is that it took me an hour to get there.
So happy your interview went well. When they offer you the job, you will have to make sure to factor in 500 hours a year of travel and the cost of 5000 miles a year for gas and car maintenance/depreciation. Decisions like that are always hard for me. I know you're praying for guidance, and I will do the same for you (and for myself). I know what a great blessing the home health professionals are for my family, so I know what you do helps people in ways you may not even understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
I am 12 lbs over my goal too, although what kills me is that I was as low as 146.5 six weeks ago.
I am moving very slow back down.
Snaggles...you are so vigilant about your progress and your goal...that inspires me so much. I am terribly afraid that when I get that close to goal, I will not be vigilant and persistent. Don't be quite so hard on yourself. You're doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
fell into a bowl of nuts at the bar
This happens to me too...and it seems like the kind of nuts they serve at the bar are mostly peanuts, mostly oversalted and sometimes sweetened. Ick. I do succumb to peanuts when I eat at those places that put a bucket of them on the table: GrammyPat, Topeka's in your neighborhood is just awesome...I miss that chain, though their bread is pure evil, I tell you. Leo's right...it could have been way worse than falling into a bowl of nuts...it could have been chips, pretzels or....ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post

Snaggle/Everyone - you hit the nail on the head when you wrote about what you want versus what is healthy. I have sort of had that A-ha moment this week with all the discussion about sugar. Although I haven't mentioned it publicly on the boards yet, I will throw it out there. I have abstained from sugar for the last 3 days. I am not giving it up for good (that mindset is detrimental. I am a rebel at heart) but I am going to go as long as I can in hopes of changing my tastebuds so I don't want as much and, like Leo, it doesn't taste as good to me. I will still have Splenda in my coffee and if I find I am still craving sweets after awhile I will give that up too (or do my darndest trying)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
my dh doesn't know I'm doing this this time around.....he is so very supportive of me, but in his ignorance (in a nice way, lol) he thinks I "need to eat".....it comes purely out of love for me but it's hard doing JUDDD with him saying, oh, but don't you need to eat? /snip/ We more than likely will have access to a salad bar tomorrow night so maybe fast 5 until dinner, then a nice salad. That would taste SO good! We'll see.
DH may secretly like exactly how you are, and may not want you to change. Even though he is supportive (and I am sure he is sincere) of what you are doing and what you want, he might (even completely subconsciously) not want you to be smaller. Lots of men prefer curvier ladies, although our culture doesn't really validate preferences based on appearance and many men (and women) just keep quiet about what appeals to them. In my opinion, the whole obsession with stick-figure women (and men reduced to nothing but their abs) is completely media driven, is about money, and is corrosive. But that's another rant altogether. I have lately been craving giant salads, and I am so grateful to be able to eat that many veggies again. Attack that salad bar with gusto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
I haven't been eating enough protein
I worry about protein too, even though I don't have any hair left to fall out (at least on my head...!). But I find so much conflicting information. When I started JUDDD, ****** was telling me I was getting 220% of the protein I needed, now it is saying 128%. Though Jenny's calculator (Bloodsugar101) says I am not getting enough. Any thoughts or discussion appreciated...

I am sick again...suddenly. The same bronchitis/chest infection I had before, and I feel like crap. And dad's out of control. I will try to keep updated on here, but I may not be able to.

to the new folks, and to anyone I forgot to mention. (Kisha) it's nice to see you back!.

--bill
"I read this book about how some scientists tried to get primates to paint. For 10 years they worked on it, and nothing happened. Then, one of the monkeys suddenly began to paint, and what it painted were the bars of its cage. So, in my writing, I believe I'm painting the bars of my cage so that I can get out. This is something you have to get done before you can meaningfully move on in any way."--Ferron
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote