Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post

Redeemed--I am not a pray-er, but girl you will be in my thoughts all day--I am choosing to believe that the job is yours already!

Ouis
This is a policy we should all remember to use in all sorts of situations.

Thanks for the kind words.

--bill
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Bill my dear, don't you dare tell me I have mastered anything--I will shake my finger at you. Master shmaster; talk to me in five years when according to all the statistics and odds, I'll be fat again. (I hope not!)

I forgot to mention earlier that I appreciated the discussion of artificial sweeteners. I am convinced that the amount of diet soda my boyfriend drinks is part of what's keeping him from losing weight. He doesn't eat a whole lot, certainly not for a guy his size, but an hour after dinner he's snacking on sweet Kashi cereal, and a half hour after that he's snacking on grapes or something. Just seems like there's a desire to taste, taste, taste, even though the foods themselves aren't junky foods. I really do believe the artificial sweeteners are a big problem for many folks in terms of provoking the same triggers and even physical responses that real sugar does. How are you supposed to lose your cravings for sweet things if you are constantly drinking sweet things?!
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 2008
Great DD today- 462 cals!

The recipe for the cabbage soup is a modified Weight Watchers zero point garden vegetable with my added seasoning (just needed to give credit where it's due). Here goes:

4 cups chicken broth
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 teaspoons garlic (I used fresh minced from a jar)
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I didn't have this but used
1/2 cup tomato sauce instead)
1 cup frozen spinach (only because I had it in the freezer and wanted to use it)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons ACV
3 teaspoons Frank's Red Hot Sauce (or to your taste)
sweetener to taste (I love sweet/sour flavors)
I threw in some radishes to see if they really do taste like potatoes, and I don't think they do

Put all in the crockpot and cook on high for 5-6 hours or just cook on the stove until the veggies are tender (which is way less time!).

The soup turned out really well; the calories are 61/cup or less and that count is from the original recipe which includes more veggies than what I put in it. Let me know if y'all like it, or what your tweaks would be. I also made a low carb carrot cake yesterday (for my UD's) that uses almond flour instead of regular flour. I used Whey Low as the sugar substitute and the cake is delicious!

Redeemed, good luck on Friday! I feel like you'll do really well on your interview! The energy I pick up from your posts here is really good (upbeat, positive and reassuring) - geez, what's not to love about that?

Again, thanks everyone for your support.
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #304
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami73
Stats: Body Fat 45.6%/44.2%/19%
WOE: JUDDD with Burn the fat feed the muscle
Start Date: 29th November 2009
Redeemed - It happens to the best of us. At least you will still make the same calorie count . . . Good luck on Friday!

Weigh in today, I came in at 222.8 so I'm down 1.2 pounds. Even better, my body fat percentage is down from 45.6 to 45.1 and a slight increase in lean body mass too! Good week all in all, although I still can't manage 10 minutes on the cross trainer yet. My muscles are aching at the moment and the thought that I have to get to 30-45 minutes for optimal fitness leaves me aghast! lol Oh well, nothing worth having ever came easy. We can do hard things!!!

Happy Judding this week people.
tami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #305

hey guys!!! Seems you all are doing great. I have been terrible since Friday. I was actually fitting into my smaller jeans.
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. Today was a total wash. I am so wound up. Snaggle You wonderful Catholics totally intrigue me - thank you for putting me in the jar.

Bill Don't you dare tell me you know Joan Baez - I'll turn completly green with envy.

Hope everyone has a great week.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Bill - you've totally inspired me and what you wrote to me in the last post really made something click (the part about choosing what is good for my body, not my mind). I am going to give this no sugar thing a try.

I also spoke with a good friend who is a wholistic nutritionist and she confirmed what you had said in that the less I eat sugar the less I will crave it. She also concurs with me (and others) when I had mentioned I think I gave in and had the mother of all binges due to psychological issues and not physical ones. Had I said "ok, I had one piece of cake in 9 months, let's move on" I would have been fine. But instead my thinking was "I blew it, I can't stick to any diet, I always fail, I might as well just eat the junk I've been tyring to avoid" and because the junk tasted good, I gave in. Now that I know this, I feel better equipped to try it again.

Redeemed - Sending you all sorts of positive vibes and energy for your interview on Friday. Fingers and toes are crossed for you!

Aim - you'll fit in your smaller jeans again. Just get back on plan as soon as you can and don't beat yourself up!

Tami - congrats, that is great news!

GrammyPat - your soup looks amazing. I will make it this weekend. I love soup and prefer homemade (less sodium)!

Fjeld - what is ICR? Do you follow Fast-5 and JUDDD? I think you wrote you do two DD's a day, what is your plan for the other days (as in calories and do you fast-five as well)? Hope you get back to your computer!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #308
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Congratulations to fjeld and Tami on your losses!

I read a comment someone wrote on the Main Lobby that I really think fits us with our motto of "We can do hard things."

"Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Which "hard" do you want?"

It's a good reminder for tough DDs, it seems to me.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seoulgrlsara
Stats: sw: 223 cw: 204 gw: 185 by July 20
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 1/10 at 223 pounds
Down Day today and it was much easier.

Menu:

Protein shake 100
BL protein drink 40
Soup 180

total calories: 320

Lowest down day yet!

Weigh in day tomorrow, Im not expecting a loss and I am hoping that I didn't gain. I gotta get those Up days under control.
seoulgrlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Sherrie- just wanted you to know I have your stew in my crock pot. Well, it is sort of your stew. I added some chopped pork that I browned first and I forgot to get zucchini at the store, so I put in extra of the other veggies and some bagged spinach I had.
It smells so good, now I just have to see how long I can hold out before digging in.
I seriously doubt I can wait 4 hrs. I got a late start and I'se hungry!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Aim-- yeah, the whole friday, saturday, sunday thing is usually my undoing.
This week I did manage a down on friday, a big up Sat, a medium yesterday (probably 900 cal) and so far today, a good down. No food yet.

The more downdays you can get under your belt, the less of you that will be there too!
(okay, sorry, really bad JUDDD pun)
Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Snaggle You wonderful Catholics totally intrigue me - thank you for putting me in the jar.
Us "cradle Catholics", especially ones like me who were taught by nuns, have all sorts of goofy traditions like the prayer jar.
It cracks me up that you find us intriguing.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
oh man, I am having a hard evening--

done for the day at just under 500 (497) and I want to EAT. I am not hungry tho--this is another kind of pressure. I suspect that is because I was super bloated this morning when I got up. I feel fat, and my clothes are snug. this can, of course, only be temporary because I have been doing well with JUDDD, but there is nothing more likely to trigger bingey feelings for me than feeling fat.

K'. just needed to vent. going to bed with my book and my tea. DH won't be home for awhile.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Hi everyone. I ended up with an UD today after saying Mondays are easy for me and I should be able to have a DD. The problem was I haven't had one truly planned UD in the last 4 days....does that make sense? It was psychological because I had UD's but they just weren't planned UD's because they just kept being failed DD's.....some were MD's but not all. Anyway, I ended up having to take my daughters to the doctor this morning because I was worried they had strep (they didn't though) and when we got out it was lunchtime. I was starving and I took my girls to Burger King and had a whopper Jr and fries. That's was just under 500 calories and then I was busy all the rest of the day. We had a meeting in the afternoon and didn't get home until 6:30....my hubby had dinner almost done and I was not going to eat, but ended up eating and turning it into an UD. I'm ok with it because now I can say, "ok, I've had my UD and tomorrow will be a very good DD" I was down one pound this morning after my MD yesterday though and I'm hopeful that tonights meal (rice and beef tips and gravy) didn't do too much damage. I do remember JUDDD being so forgiving so I'm counting on that again. Tomorrow WILL be a good DD and depending on how I feel, I may make it an AWF, but it will depend on how I feel. I've ordered some whey protein and I'm hoping it will be here before my next DD so I can do egg creams for my dd's. I prefer that to eating. I should have just gone ahead and bought some at the store but the price was better at Netrition. So, I'm behind on reading...you all have been busy! I will try to catch up, but not tonight...I'm tired! lol! I'm really feeling attached to you all though! This really does seem to be a great group of people! thanks everyone!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #315
Senior LCF member

Regular DD yesterday (350 cal), but for a change I had to be out of the house from 2:30pm until 7:30 pm. I didn't think about food and wasn't hungry the entire time, partly because I'd already had 300 cal, and I'm now used to being satisfied with those calories.

I'd saved 50 cal for my return in the evening, and was hungry enough to enjoy my spinach and egg whites. I had an hour drive each way to my meeting, and wasn't "faint from hunger" as I would have imagined more than a year ago when I first heard of JUDDD

Ouis-I found it interesting that you commented that you wanted to eat but weren't hungry. That was one of the first insights I got from my DDs--how much eating I did from things other than hunger. It really helped me feel "in control" of my eating for the first time in my life.

Leisa- Once you get back on track with DDs, you'll be fine. You're not really overeating on your UDs, so the DDs will come, especially if you like doing shakes. That's the easiest way to control calories, and I wish that I found shakes satisfying enough to rely on them for DDs.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Thank you Leo....I'm considering running to town to pick up some whey protein this afternoon if mine doesn't come from UPS today. I really do prefer drinking my calories on DD's. I can fill up on the egg creams and I don't need to chew. I'm really looking forward to a good clean DD today.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Leo--it is true--I am able to notice these subtle differences in appetite and hunger thanks to JUDDD. JUDDD provides the container I need, permitting me to observe what is happening in relation to that container. Right now, I am very focused on tolerating these feelings without doing something about them--It is like JUDDD enables me to be a better witness rather than participant, if that makes sense.

After my "fat" day yesterday (I must have been processing some hidden restaurant carbs or something) I was down another pound today. So it is a "thin" day today. Makes me laugh--both those feelings are so subjective even tho the objective measure (the scale) confirms the feeling. Too often I believe some "feeling" (eg fat or thin) to dictate some behavior (starve or binge). JUDDD is really letting me stand outside all of this a little bit. Like I said, it feels like it is all about tolerating whatever is happening without doing something.

UD today for me--I feel very tired today--I have a long day ahead and feel that I better plan well so that my fatigue doesn't have more control over my choices than I would like.

A wonderful day to you all

Ouis
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
The recipe for the cabbage soup is a modified Weight Watchers zero point garden vegetable with my added seasoning (just needed to give credit where it's due). Here goes:

4 cups chicken broth
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 teaspoons garlic (I used fresh minced from a jar)
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I didn't have this but used
1/2 cup tomato sauce instead)
1 cup frozen spinach (only because I had it in the freezer and wanted to use it)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons ACV
3 teaspoons Frank's Red Hot Sauce (or to your taste)
sweetener to taste (I love sweet/sour flavors)
I threw in some radishes to see if they really do taste like potatoes, and I don't think they do

Put all in the crockpot and cook on high for 5-6 hours or just cook on the stove until the veggies are tender (which is way less time!).

The soup turned out really well; the calories are 61/cup or less and that count is from the original recipe which includes more veggies than what I put in it. Let me know if y'all like it, or what your tweaks would be. I also made a low carb carrot cake yesterday (for my UD's) that uses almond flour instead of regular flour. I used Whey Low as the sugar substitute and the cake is delicious!

Redeemed, good luck on Friday! I feel like you'll do really well on your interview! The energy I pick up from your posts here is really good (upbeat, positive and reassuring) - geez, what's not to love about that?

Again, thanks everyone for your support.

GrammyPat - That recipe sounds soooo good! I am going to try it very soon.

Redeemed - Good luck on the interview!
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
Thank you Leo....I'm considering running to town to pick up some whey protein this afternoon if mine doesn't come from UPS today. I really do prefer drinking my calories on DD's. I can fill up on the egg creams and I don't need to chew. I'm really looking forward to a good clean DD today.
Leisa - I always do better on DD's with egg creams as well. I don't use any kind of protein powder, but I find them very filling. I always seem to lose better when I use them.
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Wow....having a rough DD today. Had a friend over this morning who brought me supposedly low fat muffins from Dunkin Donuts (box is sealed and I haven't opened them) and croissants in a bag.....luckily I'm not big into crossants. Not sure if that's what this is all about, but I WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!!

So far I have had 350 calories, about a gallon of coffee and now on herbal tea but I am craving some carbs badly. I got some Christmas cookies out of the freezer before she came for her to have and managed to send them home with her. DH not home for another two hours, but I'm hanging in there.

I'm proud that I've made it this far (these last two hours have just been white knuckling it) and have calmed down a bit. Normally I would have just had a taste and then said "screw it" and eaten everything....plus probably more. I am telling myself that I can have a muffin tomorrow for breakfast. In the meantime I think I'm going to the library to get out of the house.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #321

I am reading Dr. Bragg's book on Fasting...it is kinda interesting..anyone ever read it?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Good news!

No...I don't know Joan Baez...the closest I come to that circle, I think, is Melanie Safka or Janis Ian or Richie Havens. The last time Joan was in town, I had Al Stewart on the same night, and Joan crushed our show. That's my only experience with her, aside from seeing her at Newport.

I had to make an unplanned visit to my (awesome and wonderful) Doc today...a painful, hot, red, itchy rash that I thought surely would go away wasn't going away, and I was about to claw the skin off my arms...so I gave in and went to see Doc. Turns out the rash (mostly on my forearms/inner elbows) is caused by the same virus that caused my bronchitis, and it's pretty gnarly...three prescriptions to knock it out...I am not happy about having to take all that crap, but I am so sick of itching.

You may remember that I only weigh at the doc...last time, I was a little disappointed with my loss. This time I was amazed by it...26 pounds down in 28 days. I am tracking diligently, and I *know* that my average daily cals are only down slightly since my last visit. I mentioned my aspartame theory to my Doc...and he said, "Oh yes...aspartame definitely increases insulin resistance and can hinder weight loss." I'm wondering why he didn't volunteer that information...but I am guessing he knows that most patients won't do without something sweet, and he figures diet soda is better than the HFCS. Ah well.

For those of you who might be interested, I have completed 7 water-fast days starting on Dec 27, with the three day DD/MD/DD run a few days ago when I was really sick....so in addition to the elimination of the artificial sweeteners, the true alternate day fasting may have some impact (though the true fasting days have not changed my average daily cals or my ratio of fat/protein/carbs). My ketosis has never been so strong for such a sustained period, and I am hitting new lows on my blood glucose levels. Needless to say, I am very happy.

I feel a little guilty with such a big loss in such a small amount of time, because so many people are struggling for such incremental losses. But I want to remind everyone, especially everyone who has endocrine issues or other slow-loss issues, that I am still 150 pounds too heavy, according to the charts, and I still need to lose half my body to be "average" size. As I get smaller, I know it will get harder and slower. I'll really need your help then!

All religions interest me...I am not Catholic, but I did work at a cool school run by nuns (Religious Sisters of Mercy) and I love some of the Catholic services I have been to. And I won't be caught without my St. Jude Thaddeus medal. Little rituals, like the prayer jar and lighting candles I think are simple acts of affirmation that help keep me grounded and hopeful.

I was gonna babble about something else, but I forgot what.

--bill
"I read this book about how some scientists tried to get primates to paint. For 10 years they worked on it, and nothing happened. Then, one of the monkeys suddenly began to paint, and what it painted were the bars of its cage. So, in my writing, I believe I'm painting the bars of my cage so that I can get out. This is something you have to get done before you can meaningfully move on in any way."--Ferron

Last edited by BillB; 01-12-2010 at 03:36 PM..
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #323

YAY BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bill--you are almost in Two-terland!! WTG!

Once and forall--hang in there baby--must be something in the air--I had a gnarly DD yesterday (but I was a pound down this morning)--don't give up--those muffins will be there tomorrow!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #325
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-

Sorry you were having such a dreadful DD, but good job keeping that box sealed and telling yourself that you can have a muffin tomorrow. I know it's not much comfort, but we all have DDs like that at times, and it's frustrating to me that I can't anticipate them. But perhaps it's better that way; otherwise I might decide to make it an UD before it even begins

Bill-

That rash must be dreadful, and I hope all those meds takes care of it expeditiously. I think you're doctor didn't mention the aspertame stuff because I know other doctors like him--as you suspect, they know that most patients would not accept such advice because it's too 'extreme' for where most people are. Only when someone like you raises the issue will they offer the information. Great work, not only with your loss but with the numbers you're getting for your BG.

By the way, we all resent you for losing so much [just joking of course], not because you're big because that's not the reason. It's because you're a man--and your added muscle (compared to ours) makes it much easier to lose. I used to work with the military, and they have to meet weight requirements every 6 months. The women stayed trim, for the most part, but some of the older men would put on weight (perhaps 10-25 lbs) in the intervening months and then drop it quickly the week before their weigh in. We women marveled at their ability to lose like that.

However, I've made peace with the glacial pace of my loss. The bright side is that since every pound is such an effort, I am very, very motivated never to see the scale going back up. Because it's so difficult for me to lose, and so easy to gain, I am totally committed to this WOE and keeping those pounds away for good.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Bill- That is so great-woo hoo for you! You are doing a very pure form of the alternate day diet, plus I think doing it low carb can't hurt either. I know if I did what you have been doing, I would probably get to goal faster, but I just don't know if I could swing a water fast. On my down days, I really enjoy my coffee in the morning, and I do put in a little half and half in my first cup. Some day next week, (or I guess I could do it tomorrow) I may just try and have my coffee, water and tea. No food.
You are inspiring me.
My favorite goofy Catholic ritual is burying a St. Joseph statue (upside down) in the yard if you are trying to sell a house.
Let me tell ya, I got lots of folks I know these days with buried statues!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I'm embarrassed to admit my dumbest Pentacostal ritual ever. Years ago, a televangelist sent me a sock in the mail. He said if I wore it and then put money in it and mailed it back to him, God would bless me. Can't believe I actually did it. God must have been really embarrassed!! Anyway, I had a great DD. Will take a hot bath and go to bed early. Thankfully, no ice cream in the freezer to tempt me tomorrow.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

I will tell you Redeemed, there is no way a dove bar would last in my freezer past any down day, and if there were only one, my husband and I would meticulously cut it in half.
I just can't have stuff like that around. No willpower whatsoever!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
I will tell you Redeemed, there is no way a dove bar would last in my freezer past any down day, and if there were only one, my husband and I would meticulously cut it in half.
I just can't have stuff like that around. No willpower whatsoever!
word! me either!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
Leisa - I always do better on DD's with egg creams as well. I don't use any kind of protein powder, but I find them very filling. I always seem to lose better when I use them.
What is an egg cream? Can you post a recipe? Thanks!
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote