Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
ok, WHAT was THAT!!!!!?????? I did great today....had yogurt and a half sandwich at lunchtime so I could take my anti-malaria meds (just came home from Honduras) (that was about 250 calories), a bowl of my homemade chili this evening and was ready to stop with that. Then, just a few minutes ago, my 13 year old daughter wanted something to eat but she isn't feeling well, I suggested possibly cereal and feeling sorry for her, I fixed her a bowl of granola with milk and made myself one too! argh! Just did it without even thinking! ugh! oh well....still I'm cutting my calories WAY back and knowing that I'm working in the right direction. I just wish I had actually thought before I did that.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words wand the warm welcome back. I finally made it through the January thread, but I think I need to go back and read the end of December now. Everyone is doing so well! It's nice to have so many reminders of how many incredible people are posting in this thread!

I was inspired by the video a couple of pages back, and as a sort of belated holiday gift, I wanted to post a couple of songs/videos from a couple of friends. The first is from Odetta, who passed away in December 2008. She's one of the most amazing people I have ever known, and I am very proud to call her my friend. Her spirit was amazing, and a little of that shines through in this video, which was filmed a few months before her death:

And this is from Mary Gauthier, another friend, but one I don't know as well as I knew Odetta. Mary's music, like Odetta's, has inspired and uplifted me spiritually for some time. The messages of these songs are a gift I would like to give everyone, but most especially those folks who visit this board and create this little community.

With grateful blessings,
Bill
"I read this book about how some scientists tried to get primates to paint. For 10 years they worked on it, and nothing happened. Then, one of the monkeys suddenly began to paint, and what it painted were the bars of its cage. So, in my writing, I believe I'm painting the bars of my cage so that I can get out. This is something you have to get done before you can meaningfully move on in any way."--Ferron

Last edited by BillB; 01-10-2010 at 06:05 PM..
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Bill - absolutely, that was VERY helpful. Thank you so much. I think what dawned on me was when you wrote the longer you go without it the less you want it. I went 9 months without wanting it (this was years ago mind you) so I remember that feeling. When i did cave and have something sweet, what may have led me to binge was that feeling of failure since at the time I was on a "no sugar/no white carbs" diet and I am a very all-or-nothing person. Had I said "oh well, I had a piece of cake" (funny that I can remember what the food was. Not funny, but telling) and moved on, I would have been fine. But I beat myself up and decided I couldn't do it and gave up. It's different now, or I can make it different. I am going to give it a try and see how I feel. What's great is my husband is trying to cut back on sugar and fried foods too, which makes it a lot easier!

Lbishop - I've been there before. Popped something in my mouth without even thinking on a DD. Once I realized and I spit it out! lol Your cals are still low, turn tomorrow into an MD if you can. If not, do a UD and move on the next day.
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandM View Post
Bill - absolutely, that was VERY helpful. Thank you so much. I think what dawned on me was when you wrote the longer you go without it the less you want it. I went 9 months without wanting it (this was years ago mind you) so I remember that feeling. When i did cave and have something sweet, what may have led me to binge was that feeling of failure since at the time I was on a "no sugar/no white carbs" diet and I am a very all-or-nothing person. Had I said "oh well, I had a piece of cake" (funny that I can remember what the food was. Not funny, but telling) and moved on, I would have been fine. But I beat myself up and decided I couldn't do it and gave up. It's different now, or I can make it different. I am going to give it a try and see how I feel. What's great is my husband is trying to cut back on sugar and fried foods too, which makes it a lot easier!

Lbishop - I've been there before. Popped something in my mouth without even thinking on a DD. Once I realized and I spit it out! lol Your cals are still low, turn tomorrow into an MD if you can. If not, do a UD and move on the next day.
Thanks EmandM...Mondays are very easy for me to have a DD so I should have no problem at all having a medium day. I am very busy on Mondays which is what makes it extremely easy for me to keep the calories low. I homeschool my girls and then we have a scout meeting (actually it's American Heritage Girls) and I'm a leader there so we're gone from early afternoon till around 6:30. When I'm busy, I don't feel hunger for the most part and what hunger I do feel is usually easy for me to ignore. If I could be that busy every day, I'd be really skinny,

I too, understand the feeling of not needing sweets once I stop having them, but unfortunately, I do the same thing and do the all or nothing concept...oh, I had a small bit of sweets...now I might as well eat the WHOLE CAKE! duh! You're right though...it CAN be different this time! I'm loving being back here and the support that is so wonderful to have!

Bill, thanks for the videos. THey were very sweet! love that second song!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
2182652a9mw8xs57n.gif

Had a bout of DD insomnia so thought I'd check out our thread.

Bill Thank you for the songs. You knew Odetta? What a blessing that must have been! I have loved her music since the '60's. Her music is incredible. I enjoyed the second song also. I have never heard of that musician before, and I certainly enjoyed the song. I also think Marty Stuart is ALL THAT!

Back to JUDDD. I will be eating at 6 AM. DD almost over and went very well. I have tried soups, sandwiches, and other foods, but the hot cereal and almond milk works the best for me for DD. I am still losing without doing LC. When I'm not working that is going to be my DD meal. I really don't mind the strict DD/UD alternation. There's a rhythm to it that I have gotten used to. I will save having a double UD for special occasions. Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-11-2010 at 01:00 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
Start Date: December 2008
Thanks guys!

Thanks EmandM for the reassurance that this could just be a rough patch they're going through and that they'll work it all out! LBishop, I'm happy to share the cabbage soup recipe, although there is no beef in it. Is that still OK? I'll post it tonight. DD today; really need it too. Will try to use tact of not eating unless hungry. I know I eat for the entertainment factor especially when work is not that busy. Have a great week everyone!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Thanks, Bill for the explanation, but I'm afraid I'm like Leisa and EmandM in that "all or nothing at all" category. About 8 years ago I did the "no white flour, sugar" deal very similar to AA (3 meeting/week and all) and lost 70lb in 5 months. The one and only time I was ever really successful at weight loss (except that dreaded liquid protein stuff that Oprah did where I lost 60lb). My cravings for the sweets completely went away, but when I did finally have something sweet (and broke my abstinance...as they called it) I felt that shame and guilt and I do think THAT'S what did me in.

I really need to cut out the sugar especially, but again figure it's not realistic for it to be a lifestyle change for me cause I don't see myself NEVER having it again. Maybe as I continue with JUDD and become more aware of my issues with food, I can give up that black/white concept. I need some gray in my life (besides my hair).

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting Realization....

Before when attempting JUDD, I stuck to the MWF DD's and the weekends were mostly UD's. My pattern was to do well during the week and then pretty much blow it on weekends and undo all the good I had done the week before. (This has been a pattern for me on many different WOE's)

This weekend I decided to keep up the true alternation and make yesterday (Sunday) a DD. I had no social obligations so figured I'd give it a try. It was a very easy DD for me! (It's nice to know once in a while they're easy ) I felt like it really gave me a head start on this week!! I'm in a much better frame of mind, feeling more positive about my efforts and even plan on returning to the Y this afternoon for my water aerobics class (which I haven't attended in several months )

I know I won't be able to do true alternation every weekend, but thought I would comment on how this one worked out for me. Two UD's in a row (haven't been too good in the past in doing a MD) aren't good for me and it's helpful to realize that and try to plan accordingly. I'm going to try and plan my social life around true alternation instead of my alternation around my social life. Of course, we all know that can't always be accomplished. Maybe at that point I will finally master a MD!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #279
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
About Sugar

Perhaps I wasn't really an 'addict,' but no one had a bigger sweet tooth. For me, it was always about the icing, not the cake. And while I didn't have real sugar for years while eating low carb, I always drank my diet soda and had 'treats' made with artificial sweeteners. I really think that keeps the sugar demon alive.

When I realized with my JUDDD DDs that my body reacts to artificial sweeteners exactly like sugar, I cut them out as well--and THAT'S when I "lost my taste" for sugar. I never considered this an "all or nothing" thing (because I know that's the road to a binge for me), and, as I posted previously, at Christmas, I indulged in a "delicious" piece of cherry/chocolate cheesecake and discovered that it was tasteless to me.

Years ago, a doctor told me that we can change our 'taste' if we do anything for 2 weeks. He was talking about being salt free at the time, but I found that true of my experience of drinking my coffee black. I really think the same is true of sugar. I think that my years with artificial sweeteners kept my body faithful to sugar, so it was easy to go back to it anytime.

Now I experience no 'temptation' from sugar at all. I can actually look at desserts and not want them. So when you all gave up sugar for months, did you also give up the artificial forms? Because I really think that's the key.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

I have a Dove bar in the fridge - 330 calories. I have no reservations about eating it, however, it takes up a lot of calories. I also have some homemade cream of cauliflour, broccoli, spinach, cheese soup (all one soup). Now if I skip the nutritionaly sparse ice cream bar, I can have the soup that's filled with nutrients. The longer I do JUDDD, the more concerned I am becoming about nutrients. When I'm done eating for the day, if I'm around 1700 calories, I'll have the Dove bar. If I'm at 2000, the bar stays in the fridge.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-11-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyPat View Post
Thanks EmandM for the reassurance that this could just be a rough patch they're going through and that they'll work it all out! LBishop, I'm happy to share the cabbage soup recipe, although there is no beef in it. Is that still OK? I'll post it tonight. DD today; really need it too. Will try to use tact of not eating unless hungry. I know I eat for the entertainment factor especially when work is not that busy. Have a great week everyone!
Absolutely it's ok pat! I didn't think it had beef in it at 70 cal a cup, lol! I would love to have the recipe and thanks!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You have a great week, too, GrammyPat. You're on the right track with JUDDD. 19_trein.gif
Old 01-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Thanks everyone for all the insightful posts--and Bill--thanks for the videos--what a lucky man you are to have known two artists like that--Odetta has always rocked my world--

DD today--and looking forward to it--but want to report how I handled the last two UD's--I guess I sorta kinda used Fast 5 thinking, altho on Saturday night it was really only a 2 hour window and yesterday a much longer window--but I am finding, at least for now, that I feel better on my DD's when I delay food til evening, so I am trying to do that on my UD's as well--it kept my UD calories a bit lower than they would have been otherwise--both days I came in under 1500. I don't know how this will play out--but for right now, I am comfortable with at least skipping breakfast and lunch--or having broth with miracle noodles if I feel I must--and if I need something around 3pm (my weak time) I will bring an EAS shake with me. Tonight is my late night at work, so I won't be eating til 7 or so.

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Thanks so much for the music, Bill, I needed a spiritual lift today.
Trying to shift things around by having an MD-so I am going to try to just have protein, (meat, fish some fat) and as low carb as I can get it-Somewhere around 800 cals, and then tomorrow have a DD. I need to have UDs for Wed and Fri, have 2 dances/parties to play music for and people always run the sugar by...and If I've eaten before I go, I'm fine.
I use stevia a lot and splenda sometimes. Those little paper packaged artificial sweeteners all have some form of dextrose in them as a filler, even when they say zero calories and carbs, even the stevia packets do. It might be a sugar alcohol but it still messes me up. I notice more of them are using fiber now, something called inulin, which I think is from a yam, and that is probably better.
For me, once I went 6 months without sugar it tasted awful to me, I can even smell it like a chemical sometimes. And now, when I consider eating something with sugar in it I consider how sick I am going to feel in a few hours/tomorrow. Sometimes (Christmas) I do it anyway, and then I get to put up with the water weight and loginess and depression for a few days-not worth it, but once in a great while I do it anyway.
Bless the people that can eat that stuff and not get that reaction-I just can't do it.
But I have to plan ahead, eat before I go, or carry something with me that works for me.
nitenurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #285
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-

You might want to try what's worked for me on weekends. I was regularly doing two UDs because I just couldn't seem to get the hang of the MD. So I decided to choose one of the days (usually Sunday) to do a "restrained" UD--i.e., see if I could get my calories lower than Saturday. And that worked--by trying to cut a few calories, I managed to get the number low enough to call it a 'medium' day. I find that if my thinking becomes "How many calories can I have?", it always escalates to an UD, but by using the previous day as a standard and trying to cut some calories, it seems to work.

Ouis-

What you're doing is what most of the JUDDD veterans have done--find a system that works for you. I'm the exception in wanting to eat early; most people find that saving their calories for later in the day works best for them.
A lot depends on your personal schedule, etc. (as you realize), so finding your own system is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmandM
Stats: 142/126/114 (5'5" 40 yrs)
WOE: JUDDD/Paleo
Start Date: JUDDD start date: Nov. '08
Glad to hear I am not alone with the sugar issue. I don't know if I am addicted either, but like Leo, I have a major sweet tooth. It hasn't affected my weight loss or maintenance, but I just feel that sometimes I eat way too much of it and I don't feel in control. Is this a physical thing or an emotional thing? That has always been my question about it.

Leo - I do use Splenda and I sometimes eat those Atkins caramel nut chews and they have artificial stuff in there too. I am off Diet pop, and that was a huge thing for me (at least one a day). Not sure I can go without Splenda in my coffee though!

Nitenurse - wow, that is quite the reaction to sugar. If I reacted that way I bet it'd be a lot easier for me to give up!

Ouis -sounds like you are easing into the woe quite successfully!

Oncenforall - I remember when I did true alternation in the beginning I lost more weight. But, it was very hard for me to stick to because of social engagements. Fridays and Saturdays are almost always UD's for me. The few times I have tried a DD on a Sat it has backfired and instead of having 2 UD's in a row I ended up with 3!

Redeemed - I hear you on the nutrients. I feel I have to be careful that I am getting enough, which is another reason to try and curb the sugar thing! If I am using calories on junky stuff, I am wasting calories that I could be using on healthy things! (I used to be the person who would skip dinner so I could have two desserts)! Not good!

Grammy Pat - looking forward to that recipe, it sounds delish!

LBishop - maybe if we work on getting rid of that all-or-nothing thinking, we could avoid sugar for all but special occasions, and it wouldn't lead to crazy binges as we would be ok with just having that one piece once in awhile. Wishful thinking or maybe not. Many people do it, it might be worth a try!

Bill - Thanks for the music. It's neat that you know so many musicians. Are you musically talented at all?
EmandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Glad to hear I am not alone with the sugar issue. I don't know if I am addicted either, but like Leo, I have a major sweet tooth. It hasn't affected my weight loss or maintenance, but I just feel that sometimes I eat way too much of it and I don't feel in control. Is this a physical thing or an emotional thing? That has always been my question about it.

Leo - I do use Splenda and I sometimes eat those Atkins caramel nut chews and they have artificial stuff in there too. I am off Diet pop, and that was a huge thing for me (at least one a day). Not sure I can go without Splenda in my coffee though!

Nitenurse - wow, that is quite the reaction to sugar. If I reacted that way I bet it'd be a lot easier for me to give up!

Ouis -sounds like you are easing into the woe quite successfully!

Oncenforall - I remember when I did true alternation in the beginning I lost more weight. But, it was very hard for me to stick to because of social engagements. Fridays and Saturdays are almost always UD's for me. The few times I have tried a DD on a Sat it has backfired and instead of having 2 UD's in a row I ended up with 3!

Redeemed - I hear you on the nutrients. I feel I have to be careful that I am getting enough, which is another reason to try and curb the sugar thing! If I am using calories on junky stuff, I am wasting calories that I could be using on healthy things! (I used to be the person who would skip dinner so I could have two desserts)! Not good!

Grammy Pat - looking forward to that recipe, it sounds delish!

LBishop - maybe if we work on getting rid of that all-or-nothing thinking, we could avoid sugar for all but special occasions, and it wouldn't lead to crazy binges as we would be ok with just having that one piece once in awhile. Wishful thinking or maybe not. Many people do it, it might be worth a try!

Bill - Thanks for the music. It's neat that you know so many musicians. Are you musically talented at all?
1378021ezwn2l78i9.gif - I used to be the same way!!!

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-11-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #288
Senior LCF member

Perhaps it's an age thing, but I find that, like Redeemed, I focus on the most nutrients for my calories. But, unlike Redeemed, if I'm 'under' for the day, I won't add a treat. I think it's because I'm afraid of diabetes and want to stay sugar free. I think of sugar as poison for me (starch, too), so it's not as tempting as when I was younger, and my only criterion for food was taste
Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Perhaps it's an age thing, but I find that, like Redeemed, I focus on the most nutrients for my calories. But, unlike Redeemed, if I'm 'under' for the day, I won't add a treat. I think it's because I'm afraid of diabetes and want to stay sugar free. I think of sugar as poison for me (starch, too), so it's not as tempting as when I was younger, and my only criterion for food was taste
It's not an age thing, it's a "Leo you rule" thing!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #290
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Hello JUDDDers,

I just read the last few pages because my buddy Bill told me he had posted about what's been going on with him, and I wanted to catch up with his news. But I am so impressed with what a genuinely supportive group you have here. Wow, you all are just lovely people! I'm so glad you have this thread to talk about your up days and down days, and I love the motto "We can do hard things". That's awesome. I find the JUDDD thing fascinating.

Leo, I also wanted to congratulate you on making it to Onederland for the first time in 36 years. You are one of my favorite posters on this site and I respect the hell out of you. I'm so happy to hear about your milestone. Way to go!
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Peanutte651171i085p8my3i.gif

Your observations and comments are valued!!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #292
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't plan to participate, since I'm not switching plans...I just enjoyed reading the past several pages. You seem like a really reasonable, down-to-earth bunch of folks.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Okay... I ate the Dove bar. :blush: Now I have to cut my supper calories in half. Dang!

After my patronizing of GrammyPat this morning, I got a phone call that made me really happy. So, the first thing I did was grab that ice cream bar!!! For those of you inclined to pray - think of me this Friday. I have a job interview for a Public Health Nurse. This is the job I have wanted. I even completed my BSN to qualify. Public Health Nurse positions are very difficult to secure in MN. Hospitals, county agencies, clinics are all cutting back and most places have a hiring freeze.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-11-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Redeemed....will certainly say a prayer for you Friday. That was the first job I had as a new graduate BSN way back in 1968 and I loved it!!!! Too bad you don't live here in upstate NY cause VNS right now has a $5000 hiring bonus, they are so in need of the community health nurses. Good luck to you!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #295
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

I start praying for you today! Now that Dove bar thing is familiar to me because good news or bad, happiness or stress, anything would make me eat!

I don't "rule" now because I really don't know how I got my head into this place, but I keep praying that I'll stay here. After a lifetime of food issues, I suspect they can re-surface at any time.

Peanutte-

Thanks for your kind words, and I hope you visit us again soon. As you know, I'm a fan of your posts on the Main Lobby.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Peanutte-- glad you enjoyed reading all our drivel.You are right, it is a great group! The internet is a strange and wonderful thing, and finding this support group fits into the latter, as far as I'm concerned.
Now, goofy friends from college posting pics of me on facebook with bad 1979 high waisted jeans and big hair, that is another story!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Redeemed, GOOD LUCK FRIDAY! you deserve it, but just in case, I will get my rosary beads out and "put you in the prayer jar", as my friend's mother Lois says.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fjeld
I'm without my computer for only a weekend and this thread just leaves me in the dust I'll catch up with you but it'll take a while. Can't wait to read the posts on sugar.

I'll just post my stats after my DD yesterday: Down from 171 to 169.2.

ICR/JUDDD is effective. Think I went a too low on calories yesterday though, since I felt weak this morning and was incredibly hungry today which I'm usually not after a DD.

Thank you Redeemed for pointing out that I've in fact lost half of my pregnancy weight gain. Seeing it that way made me feel better about myself.
fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Quote:
Bill - absolutely, that was VERY helpful. Thank you so much. I think what dawned on me was when you wrote the longer you go without it the less you want it. I went 9 months without wanting it (this was years ago mind you) so I remember that feeling. When i did cave and have something sweet, what may have led me to binge was that feeling of failure since at the time I was on a "no sugar/no white carbs" diet and I am a very all-or-nothing person. Had I said "oh well, I had a piece of cake" (funny that I can remember what the food was. Not funny, but telling)
I have the same "issues" with "all or nothing"--for me, this manifests in food habits as well as other behaviors. When I was doing (and also sometimes when I was "trying to do") LC, it's as if I knew that there was a "slip-up" around each corner--and I slipped up often. The burden of being perfect (or simply eating on plan) was so monumental and heavy--I felt the weight of it constantly. It was unbearable. Somehow, I have adjusted my mindset: I choose what I want every time I eat. Almost always, I make good choices. I am not dead-set on perfection; if I eat something off-plan, it isn't even the end of the world. It isn't even a reason to feel bad. Any more. Even with JUDDD and the alternation, if I need or want to make an adjustment, I have given myself permission to do it. Last week, when I was at my sickest, even though I had started the true fasting on DDs, and wanted to stick with it, I did have a three day sequence of 500/900/500 cals. Mostly because I was sick and I needed to eat something with medicine. And you all know that if I am traveling (having a break) that I will do a string of up-ish days, without giving it a second thought. I have somehow found peace with my eating behavior. I can only hope sharing my own experience can help someone else find her/his own satisfying result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Attachment 27278

Had a bout of DD insomnia so thought I'd check out our thread.

Bill Thank you for the songs. You knew Odetta? What a blessing that must have been! I have loved her music since the '60's. Her music is incredible.
Odetta was a remarkable person. Her music means a lot to me, but actually knowing her and being in her presence was even more powerful. Here are a couple of her quotes that I love best:

I'm not a real folksinger.... I don't mind people calling me that, but I'm a musical historian. I'm a city kid who has admired an area and who got into it. I've been fortunate. With folk music, I can do my teaching and preaching, my propagandizing.--Odetta

When I cut my hair, it was called an Odetta. Until then, I had swallowed lock, stock and barrel the uptightness of this society -- feeling ashamed of 'Black,' 'fat,' 'ugly.' Looking back, the path to self was paying attention to my intuition, feelings and thoughts. I now include my needs along with what others need or want from me.--Odetta

I was having dinner with her once, 2006, I think--her health was just starting to fail. She was telling stories--about selling her car to Crosby, Stills & Nash, and also about the Rolling Stones. She had forgotten Mick Jagger's name, and she was prompting me to help her remember: "You know who I mean, you know--the one weeth the beeg leeps." Her laughter was enormous and infectious.

I particularly love what Maya Angelou said about Odetta, because Maya acknowledged not only Odetta's music, but her soul: If only one could be sure that every fifty years a voice and a soul like Odetta's would come along, the centuries would pass so quickly and painlessly we would hardly recognize time.--Maya Angelou

I'll shut up about Odetta...because I could go on all day. She was an exceptional person, and she was very, very special to me.

Quote:
I'm happy to share the cabbage soup recipe, although there is no beef in it. Is that still OK?
I'll want that cabbage soup recipe too, but I will be flinging some beef in there. Or maybe a little BACON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
Thanks, Bill for the explanation, but I'm afraid I'm like Leisa and EmandM in that "all or nothing at all" category. About 8 years ago I did the "no white flour, sugar" deal very similar to AA (3 meeting/week and all) and lost 70lb in 5 months.

Support groups like that work...but you have to keep going. It does increase the weight and guilt of "social failure" or disappointing the group if you screw up. I have mixed feelings about that kind of thing--no judgments from me about it, and I have great admiration for the groups that do help people...I just find it easier to participate in a forum like this, where we can all come and go when we need to, and lurk if we're not feeling participatory, and blab when we want to. And everyone else is free to read or ignore.

Maybe as I continue with JUDD and become more aware of my issues with food, I can give up that black/white concept. I need some gray in my life (besides my hair).
I hope you can find the moderation you are seeking. I did find it, at least partly through JUDDD, but also with some major health issues and other life consequences going on. In a way, it's a miracle that during the tumult I found a little moderation. But in a way, I really needed it and I had needed it for some time. It was a hard-earned revelation for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post

I'm going to try and plan my social life around true alternation instead of my alternation around my social life. Of course, we all know that can't always be accomplished. Maybe at that point I will finally master a MD!!
It's easy to sabotage yourself and not even know you are doing it. When I was struggling with eating plans, mostly LC, I remember the enormous relief of taking that first bite of cake, or bread, or whatever...because I knew at that moment the struggle was over for a day. Or a week. Or longer. Sort of touching back on what I was saying earlier, if you demand perfection of yourself, and every day or every hour or every meal is a struggle, it's more than a person can endure. But if you really give yourself permission to choose, and I mean really choose--think about "do I want that delicious and healthy salad with a nice juicy chicken breast or do I really want that chocolate cake that is full of refined flour, sugar, soy and other crap." Don't ask what your mind wants, but what YOU want, what your BODY wants, and what YOU want to put in your BODY. Our cravings are an unnatural construct of chemicals and marketing. Food is manufactured (chemically) and marketed (psychologically) to make us always want bad things. And too much of them.

Quote:
About Sugar

I always drank my diet soda and had 'treats' made with artificial sweeteners. I really think that keeps the sugar demon alive.

When I realized with my JUDDD DDs that my body reacts to artificial sweeteners exactly like sugar,

Now I experience no 'temptation' from sugar at all.
Leo, it's absolutely amazing that we have reached several similar conclusions. You are absolutely amazing... I am so proud of you for reaching onederland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Thanks everyone for all the insightful posts--and Bill--thanks for the videos--what a lucky man you are to have known two artists like that--Odetta has always rocked my world--

Ouis
Ouis...because of my work in the music industry over the last 6-7 years, I got to meet and know a lot of people. In some cases, we just "hit it off" and were instantly friends...and in some cases they are more acquaintances, fond acquaintances, perhaps...but I am opposed to the deterioration of the concept of "friend" via Facebook...so I am careful to specify. For whatever reason, I have always found amazing friends; some of them happen to be very famous or talented, but they are no more remarkable than many of the "ordinary" people I know. Which is really just the long way of saying...it turned out (to my surprise) that these "celebrities"--in some cases, my heroes from childhood--were "just people" like everyone else, despite their great talent or fame.

I know another Weeza (Louisa) who has a card company called Weehah! If you google weehah you should find her. I also love Ouiser from Steel Magnolias...such a cool name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
Thanks so much for the music, Bill, I needed a spiritual lift today.
I need a spiritual lift every day. I am so glad you liked the songs. We could all use a little mercy now, right?

Quote:
Sherrie-

You might want to try what's worked for me on weekends.

I don't do "medium days" a lot, but I found that if I treat a MD like a DD, except have one "normal-ish" meal, probably dinner, then I can do it.

Ouis-

What you're doing is what most of the JUDDD veterans have done--find a system that works for you.
I agree with this. Tweaking is the key, especially if you tweak toward a gradual goal. If a 500 cal DD is impossible, do one that is as low was you can do, to start. Then try to reduce 25 cals at a time. Baby steps are a good idea for so many things.

Quote:
Glad to hear I am not alone with the sugar issue. Is this a physical thing or an emotional thing?

Sugar is addictive physically because of how our bodies react to the chemical structure. I don't assume or believe that everyone is affected the same way by sugar. Sugar is also emotionally addictive because of the significance placed on "sweets as treats" "sweets as sin" "sweets as celebration" "sweets as rewards" "sweets as indulgence." Also the marketing of these products is very effective. I think I have worn that subject out in this post already, but I am up for discussion if anyone is interested.

Leo - I do use Splenda...

I am surprised that I never hear saccharin mentioned in LC discussions. Of course, "the pink pack" is saccharin, and bulking agents. But, you can get the brand name "Necta Sweet" at grocery stores...it is completely free of sugars and buling agents...no carbs, and it doesn't seem to affect my body or my blood sugar in the same negative way other sweeteners do. However, I have really cut back on using the Necta Sweet, partly because my sweet tooth is in "remission" and partly because I am trying to not consume caffeine or chemicals. I primarily used the saccharin in coffee and tea, both of which I am trying to avoid, except on special occasions. I absolutely know that saccharin is not as harmful as aspartame and probably not as bad as sucralose; the big hoop-la about the danger of saccharin was probably orchestrated to pave the way for Monsanto to sell aspartame to the world. But I won't go on about that too much. I will say again, the Necta Sweet is a viable alternative to other sweeteners; it doesn't seem to have as many negative effects. Some people don't like the saccharin flavor--I think it takes very little of it to make something sweet. But then again, everyone's taste is different--some people love sucralose...it doesn't taste sweet at all to me. And I always disliked the blue pack, though some of the sodas made with aspartame were always tasty to me (and probably still would be if I wanted to drink them).

My only talent is appreciating the musical talent of others.

Quote:
Perhaps it's an age thing, but I find that, like Redeemed, I focus on the most nutrients for my calories.
I think, for whatever reason, JUDDD brought me to more awareness about the nutrition in my food. I have been conscious of this for a while, but seemingly ever more so. I am delighted to report that I can now eat lots of fresh veggies (massive salads) without phasing my ketosis or derailing weight loss. A few months ago, even small amounts of veggies were causing me problems. I am very, very happy to be able to eat lots of veggies again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Hello JUDDDers,

I just read the last few pages because my buddy Bill told me he had posted about what's been going on with him
Peanutte, you totally rule. You don't have to jump on the JUDDD bus to visit when you feel like it. This is an awesome group...you'd fit right in. Even though your skinny self doesn't need to lose any weight, and you have mastered the LC lifestyle. Not that my 334-pound a** is jealous of your success or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
For those of you inclined to pray - think of me this Friday. I have a job interview for a Public Health Nurse. This is the job I have wanted.
Oh, I so hope you get the job. You will have to keep us posted, and we will all send good energy toward that goal!

OK, I am sure I left out people I meant to mention, and I am soooo bad at this multi-quote thing. I need to have Kisha come give me a tutorial. You are all just awesome!

--bill
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
what a gem you are Bill--don't go away for so long again!

Redeemed--I am not a pray-er, but girl you will be in my thoughts all day--I am choosing to believe that the job is yours already!

3pm on DD and so far so good. no doubt I will report in later

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote