LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
TUESDAY'S Roll CALL, Jan. 21

OK, friends, another go round for us..........

64 years ago, Jan. 21, 1950, my family and I arrived in these lovely United States from Germany, and were lucky to have relatives to pay our way!! Blessed is what we were!

Hugs to everyone not doing well, in different ways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan02.jpg (36.8 KB, 13 views)
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 174 1/2 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Summer foods- back to UP DAYS/DOWN DAYS Oct. 1, 13
Start Date: 8-3-2012 UD
holding my spot.
elaine
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Holding my spot too. Nothing much happening here except a painful knee. Love reading all your adventures.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Popping in to report that I just had a lovely conversation with Begete...they spent the afternoon picking oranges after they left the road and they seem to be enjoying the trip. So nice to talk to one of our friends, and looking forward to meeting them next week...should be fun.

Type all y'all in the morning...tired after a busy day and a great dinner with a lot of new friends.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
Hi everyone. Weighed myself today and not a single ounce gone so a bit disappointed. I'll keep going though.
I'm going to do a lot of heavy work in the garden today so that should keep me out of trouble for a while.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning- and thanks Doris.

crawls all over the tv last night about "winter storm warning" for later today and till midnight with maybe 2 inches of snow. That must crack-up some of you real winter weather people. Gonna go next and see what the latest forcast for here is on this here computer. There is wind already but it is pretty so far.
Having my coffee and some Wasa Bread melted ex sharpe chedder crackers for breakfast.
bbl
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 AM   #7

Sharon, what did your doctor say about your latest xray, is there anything they can do to lessen the pain? My mother recently had a brace made for her knee, and she can stand and walk slowly again, instead of just being in the wheelchair.......Medicare paid for the brace. Doggone pain!

Mary, sounds like Begete is having some fun now, at least, and enjoying the weather, may as well enjoy the dry weather.

Hi Heather, just keep on moving and doing!

Good Morning, Lainey. dh and I used to eat Wasa bread sandwiches back in 2004, when we both lost a lot of pounds, and melting cheese was a tasty thing.

It was 32 here this morning, and that danged Texas wind howling most of the night, hard to believe people wore shorts yesterday.

Off to dh's appt. in half an hour.

Enjoy the day you have.

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BeachyWoman
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2003
Good morning everyone. Not much going on here in central FL...and that's a good thing. we'll get another round of cold weather from the north, but nothing compared to some of you...
Mary, its so great that you are meeting Begete. I know you will have fun. I remember a few years back when a few of the goldens got together out "west". Hoping to see Susan again this year, and would love to meet everyone...If you are traveling my way.
Have a safe warm Tues. everyone...Glenda
BeachyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning all...we've a low pressure system moving in on us, but it's coming from the wrong direction, if you can believe that, so it's not bringing any moisture with it. Then the high will move back in. With all our beautiful weather patterns, it just keeps pushing the cold, wet weather up and over us so the east coast keeps getting slammed. We wish it would change so we could get some rain, and you could get a break.

Doris, have to comment on the picture of your family...I'm guessing it's your family. What an exciting time to be immigrating.

Lainey, thanks for the idea. For some reason, I never thought of melting cheese on the Wasa. I'll have to try it, but I'll be using the LF cheese as I use Wasa on my DD's. I'm really thinking of dropping most grains from my diet. The more I read, the more I think I need to do so.

Begete, have a safe drive today. Thanks for mentioning Hight 395, I hadn't thought of that way down from the 58. Glad Red and Blue seem to be relaxing a bit. See ya next week.

Glenda, I do have a trip to Florida on my lavender list as I have a SIL near Cape Canaveral that I'd like to see one more time. If I make it, we'll definitely meet up.

Last night's dinner with the sisters was very enjoyable...good lc potluck, got to learn some names connected with faces, and good conversation.

Guess I'd better get moving on this day. Hi Ho Hi Ho, It's off to the FHC I go...have a great day folks and I'll BBL.

p.s. (back not so later) Doris, this date is also special to me. Had my mother lived, she would be 98 today. Somehow having my mom born in the same month as I was always kind of special to me when I was growing up. She died in 1970 at only 54 and I still miss her so much. There something always special about your mother.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 01-21-2014 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: add p.s.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #10

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Running in to say hi real quick before I forget again. Hope to be back later after a busy day restocking the freezer and doing some other errands.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
We are on our way to Desert Hot Springs from Bakersfield where we will spend at least two weeks.

Nice shouting into John's cell phone at Mary the wireless and cellular is not great at most campgrounds. I do remember when shortly after we moved to Whidbey Island blboopsie and her husband, Julie and her husband, Doug and Joanne all met up at our house. The following year, we all met in Seattle with Rae, and did that for a couple of years.

We also met Linda and Todd when we lived back east on our very first RV trip.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still waiting for results from the X-rays. May have to call or email the drs. office to get them to move faster.

Still enjoying my green smoothies I make with my new blender. Made some soup with it the other day and it was so easy and tasty. Dh always shares them with me. We are really getting our veggies in now. Ha.

Gov. has put the hold on our water now. With just us two we never did use much of and abundance. We need a rainmaker to hang out here and do his stuff.

Time to have some brekkie. Have a nice day!

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

What do you mean about your water? You now don't have any??? Can they do that? Is it legal under human rights laws?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I'm sorry I meant to say rationing because of the drought.

Our grape growers aren't liking it. Wine will go up for sure.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Oh right. Whew, I was about to start shipping you jugs of water! We have almost endless rain.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #16

It's terrible in California, think of the high price of vegetables, fruits and NUTS, goodness!! When we lived there, we had a well, and never had trouble with it, but there was an area at the end of Indian Valley, little town of Taylorsville, and they ran out of water by August, even during a normal year. Our son in Stockton, who leases a small house, says they have been told to let the yard die out, mostly it's the grass that will die. They can use grey water to water containers of flowers.

Do any of you use grey water? We use it here, for the new plants only. The other stuff is established. We are letting the grass go, too.

Mary, it is a sad day of remembrance for you, your mother passed away so young! ((hugs)).

Last edited by mykneesareback; 01-21-2014 at 01:25 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Heather, you can pray that we get some soon but whatever we get won't be enough. (I live in California, as does Sharon) Last year we got under five inches of rain and our normal annual rainfall is about 15 inches here in SoCal....more in Central Cal where Sharon lives...and we use a lot of water. I saw one story about a lake/reservoir that is so empty, the remains of a indian village has been revealed and it's a favorite spot for tourism now. We're just hoping the weather patterns change back...if not, who knows, we may be dragging ice bergs down from the Arctic.

Sharon, was actually thinking of you and your blender today...strange, huh? Have you tried the broccoli soup recipe yet? I have leftovers from our dinner last night, so am planning on that for my dinner tonight...but I also have left over cheese sauce so wll have to incorporate that, too. My DH liked the soup whenever I made it and I made it frequently during the first couple of years I had the Vitamix. The always on hand was a pitcher of fresh juice I made a couple times a week...that's what prompted his urge to get me one so I tried to satisfy that hunger.

I had an interesting morning at the FHC after I had completed an hour of study, I took a look at my husband's tree and discovered someone had added a duplicate in the records for his mother and father...lesson learned. You have to review frequently to discover if someone is messing with your line....sigh!

My day is going well. I hope yours is too...may BBL

p.s. Doris, posting at the same time...thanks for the hugs. Like always when the blues comes a'knockin', I try to stay busy. No grey water use here, sure wish it were separated, tho' would come in handy. My brother in San Andreas had a well, so there was never a problem for him either. However, the folks on the other side of his hill/mountain used to have problems which surprised Jack because he thought they were on the same aquifer. 'Course where he was he had no problem with the septic tank, either, as it was probably tapped into a huge cavern..you have to be careful spelunking in that part of the mountain.

Last edited by Mssarge; 01-21-2014 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: add p.s.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Babette, don't forget our get together in 2009 at the oyster bar. It was my last somewhat healthy year. What a grand year it was. I got Rich and my yard in shape. I had 5 semi trucks of Rich's junk hauled out. The garden club met at my house and toured my gardens and greenhouse. Then we flew to Seattle and met with Babette and John and Julie and Doug for dinner. We did a quickie tour of Seattle, then hopped the Empire Builder Amtrak to Glacier National Park where we spent 5 days. Rich still raves about the King Salmon he had. We planted 100s of plants that summer. Now I can barely move across the room. Rich didn't say a word during dinner. It was difficult for me to have a conversation with Babette and Julie because I was trying to keep Rich entertained or be subjected to his wrath later on. He is a difficult person to have a conversation with. For so many years, I was invited out by friends and they asked me to leave my husband at home. Now its all gone - gardens, greenhouse and home for all practical purposes. Cathy's goal was to get me out of that house and into a home with her. Rich lives with us but he's on shakey ground.

Goals:
To live each day the best I can

195/135/135
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Chinese say "big snow- little snow" - "little snow- big snow" .... well, it is coming down with the big flakes but the estimate is up to 5 inches on the ground. I'd guess it is about 1/2 inch so far and is supposed to stop by midnight. It will stay because the high will only be in the 20's tomorrow with lower still with the wind chill. D.C. looks to be a lot of snow for my Ila and Anthony.
Just some Chopped shows that I have not seen on tv for tonight so I may just skip tv.
Finished 50 Shades Of Grey and have no interest in the #2 & #3... I do admit that without the s*x paragraphs it might have been a pretty good story to read as several of the friends and relatives would have been fun to get to know better.
Mary Ann may be passing a kidney stone in her bladder but it is her mental state that is worrisome to me. She says she is ready to "take a bridge" and I can see she is falling apart more and more each day. All I can do really is listen to her and just be there for her.
Now to turn all the lights off and watch the snow out the windows and doors- I love doing that.
bbl or t

Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #20

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/143.6/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Just getting here, looks like you had a fun filled day all posting and lots of interesting happenings.
Love that pic of You and your family Doris.

Mary if you do plan to go down to Florida let me know and I will be there too.

Glenda, I told you that I would be back.

Lainey, Enjoy the snowflakes.

Frigid temps up here but we had lots of Sunshine today so that made it seem more pleasant.

Waving to All, Rest well and hope to BBT...
SuSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #21

Verleen, I remember when you both went back to Washington, and that train ride you took, and they forgot your wheelchair or something, and Rich had to go back to get it, near Glacier Park, something like that! What a trip you had though, at least you did it, and have memories of the beauty of it all. Most of us will never make that trip. Where would Rich go if he can not live comfortably with Cathy? So, your grandkids are coming over the President's Day weekend then?

Lainey, so you are getting enough snow to mess up the roads this time, good thing you can stay at home, safe and sound. My dh says that the Gray books end well, whatever that means, lol, to a man anyway.

Susan, wishing you a restful night tonight.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary I haven't made the broccoli soup yet but it is one of my favorite soups. Will have to check out there cookbook and see what I find. I have a big bag of broccoli from Costco all ready too.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Oh Verleen, of course I remember our wonderful dinner in Seattle. When I was posting, it was nagging at me that I forgot someone, but at that moment just could not think who!

And you and Rich were fine. I was having husband problems myself, remember? John actually ordered fish....and liked it! I thought aliens must have kidnapped the real John and sent in this fish loving substitute.

Elliot's is still one of our favorite restaurants out here. Wish you and Rich were here.
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The beauty of the broccoli soup is the ease in prep...I'd nuke a cup of milk, a couple of florets for a minute or so, combine the rest of the ingredients in the blender drop in a chunk o'cheese, and voila...soup! So easy, and so good. (I'd throw in a couple of crackers to thicken it for the DH and he was happy as a clam...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh that sound so good. And easy too. Thank you Mary. Going to have that tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherrie
Stats: 286/279.6/278.6/276.4/276
Start Date: January 6, 2014
Emigration

Doris, What a great day that must have been for your family! The picture is priceless.
Sherrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Oh, Mary, I have to try that broccali soup. And it's something my kids will like, too. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Sherrie, now you made me look

for the actual recipe for the broccoli cheddar soup. Sharon has recently become the proud owner of a Vitamix and, in case you missed it, I was enthusing about how much I like mine. Just wanted to check to see if she had tried my fav from the recipe book...so here's the ingredients so you'll know the rest of the stuff to throw into the blender: (BTW, the recipe is designed for low fat dairy, which works well, but I use full fat)

Atkins Broccoli Cheddar Soup
1 cup milk, steaming; 1/3 cup cheddar cheese cubed
1 cup broccoli or cauliflower steaming; 1/3 cup onion (optional, my add)
1 tsp cornstarch, 1/4 tsp chicken (or vegetable bouillon or soup base

Just whirl it all up in the blender (you can even boil it in the Vitamix if you whirl long enough.

I did not use the cornstarch, thus the soda crackers to thicken it.

A couple of other soups I liked were the

Raw Vegetable Soup (put in blender bowl in order listed and whirl for a couple of minutes)

1 cup water, steaming; 1 medium carrot cut in 1 inch pieces; 1 rib celery with leaves cut into 1 inch pieces; 2 or 3 green onions; 2 bouillon cubes any flavor; 3 TBS tomato paste, and S&P to taste. Whirl away

Hope you like these. As you can tell, I do a lot of soups and love the blender to make up just a cup or so...these double or triple easily.

Well, a new friend just called and wants to try my Thai restaurant, so gotta get dressed and moving...still hoping all are safe and not suffering too badly....bbl
Old 01-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Yum!