LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
OT: "Over Fifty" What are you reading? 2

Someone mentioned the original thread was getting cumbersome so I hope you don't mind if I start a new one. We'll always remember Jessie when we post here and know she's looking over our shoulders as we type.

This is just a quick note to start the thread and to let all Dana Carpender's fans know a couple of her books are today's daily deal for the Kindle. She's a very popular author of low carb cookbooks and these are some of her best collections.

Also, for all our friends who do not have an electronic book (e-book) like Kindle, Nook, etc., you can get an application (app) for your other devices like the p.c., tablet, smart phone, etc. from Amazon absolutely free. Go to the Kindle store and the link will walk you through adding it to your device.

I made the transition to the e-books several years ago (as a retirement gift to myself) and am so glad I did. I did it because you can increase the size of the type which is great for these aging eyes. You can also listen to your books as most books have that capability as well. Books are stored "in the cloud" so you can always download what you want and remove it when you're finished but it's always available when you want it.

Hope this helps all friends to post what you're reading to let others know what's hot and what's not...

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 01-05-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/119.5/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
No Problem Mary. This thread itself reminds of Jezzie

Listening to THE BEST DEFENSE by Kate Wilhelm
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weezie
Stats: 160/129/125 (5' 3")
WOE: mostly low carb
Thanks for starting this Mary!

Now reading A BURIAL AT SEA by Charles Finch. He has written a number of mysteries set in Victorian England. Good period detail and intriguing mysteries.

Just finished PROPERTY OF BLOOD by Magdalen Nabb. It's the first of hers I've read and most (if not all) are set in Florence, Italy. I look forward to getting more from the library.
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
I've just started K is for Killer. I love how Sue Grafton writes. I know I'll have them all eventually. Ha! I love having the Kindle app on both my computers.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I just finished W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton, and it was so good I decided to go back and read the whole series again. Just started A is for Alibi today.
Some others that I've read recently and really enjoyed:

Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts
Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts
After Her by Joyce Maynard
Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore
All the Stephanie Plumb novels by Janet Evanovich
Omens by Kelley Armstrong
Storm Front by John Sandford

I love to read, I'm so glad my city has a well stocked library!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Another Sue Grafton fan here (and big-time mystery addict), currently enjoying Val McDermid's 'Vanishing Point'.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the book suggestions. I read voraciously (and will read the phone book and cereal boxes when I don't have a book!).

Just started Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith. I greatly enjoyed his No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, and this book is starting out as a fun read.

Also love Sue Grafton and rereading the series is a great idea.

Happy reading!

-Louise
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the laugh, Louise. I, too, am a cereal box and phone book reader...my favorite when I was growing up was the dictionary and a set of encyclopedias my parents bought when I was very, very young.

Just finished J.A. Jance's J.P. Beaumont series, Betrayal of Trust. Very good, but then, I think all her works are very good. This one is about teens and the troubles they have between the have's and have not's...not to give anything away of the plot. Also J.P. discovers his father's family.

If you're not familiar with Jance's works, I would suggest you start with the first books of each series and work through them. The main plot in each stands alone and they are very good reads, but the sub-plots are a continuing story line. She has two series that I know of...one on Sheriff Brady in Southern Arizona, and the other of J.P. Beaumont, a special investigator for the state of Washington.

Started a bit of fluff, and not sure if I want the world to know I'm reading it...will let you know later. Keep reading folks, we really do appreciate your suggestions.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Thanks for the laugh, Louise. I, too, am a cereal box and phone book reader...my favorite when I was growing up was the dictionary and a set of encyclopedias my parents bought when I was very, very young.

Just finished J.A. Jance's J.P. Beaumont series, Betrayal of Trust. Very good, but then, I think all her works are very good. This one is about teens and the troubles they have between the have's and have not's...not to give anything away of the plot. Also J.P. discovers his father's family.

If you're not familiar with Jance's works, I would suggest you start with the first books of each series and work through them. The main plot in each stands alone and they are very good reads, but the sub-plots are a continuing story line. She has two series that I know of...one on Sheriff Brady in Southern Arizona, and the other of J.P. Beaumont, a special investigator for the state of Washington.

Started a bit of fluff, and not sure if I want the world to know I'm reading it...will let you know later. Keep reading folks, we really do appreciate your suggestions.
Oh my goodness Mssarge...you truly are a kindred spirit mssarge...in youth I too loved reading the enclyopedia and the dictionary (and of course the cereal boxes as well)...so interesting and rather comforting to learn I wasn't alone in my obsessions. To this day reading remains one of my greatest joys -- always an adventure and sometimes a solace.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 01-08-2014 at 04:08 PM..
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's always good to discover a kindred spirit, isn't it? I was so blessed my folks insisted on teaching me to read when I was very young and fed my appetite my entire life. I try to do the same for others with whom I come in contact. I love getting kids to contact books and come to love them the way I do.

I think that's the second main problem I have with the cataract surgery I had last year and the relief I felt when my eyes aren't getting any worse...I don't know how I would live without having a book nearby.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
I am reading J.K.Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy. It's a complete departure from the Harry Potter books and is slow going at the moment.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jrhoden
Stats: 159/157/140
WOE: low carb/high fat
Start Date: 10/18/13
I didn't have time to read the encyclopedia when I was in grammar school. I was writing it and dictionaries for talking too much !!!! I love my Kindle and Nook Color !! Even have both apps on my laptop. I'm finishing Diane Moody's teacup novellas where are a combination of mystery an a little romance. Enjoy all "the Love Inspired " mysteries.

At my age, I've loved Lorena McCourtny's " Ivy Malone " mysteries . Ivy is in her 70's , retired and it's a hilarious read as she always gets herself involved in a murder. Good mysteries and loads of laughs.

Y'all enjoy those ereads !! Ya Hear ?
jrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for reminding me of the Ivy Malone books...read one some time ago and enjoyed it...still reading my bit of fluff and not sure I want the world to know. But all my studies are limiting the time I read novels...sigh! But that's okay, I've always enjoyed studying almost anything and when I enjoy the subject, I'm in seventh heaven.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Just finished "The Marshall's Own Case" by Magdalen Nabb, a good, quick read set in Florence. Now starting "The Taken" by Inger Ash Wolfe. It is a police procedural with a female Detective Inspector and is set in Canada.

I also used to love reading the encyclopedia as a kid. My mother had a series of books called "Stoddard's Lectures," travelogues which were published in the 1890's. They were fascinating to me, with tons of photos of exotic places - like an early version of National Geographic, which I also loved.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Louise, that sounds like a young girl's dream...would have loved to wander those pages.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/144/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
I always gravitated towards the science and anything medical as a girl. I would just be fascinated by it all. Fun days huh Louise.

I visited Florence and many other architectural interesting places in Europe every summer as a girl with parents but I was not at all interested in the places of their Cathedrals. ha!

I am way too scattered to read a novel. I can't seem to focus long enough. I sure wish I could.
SuSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #17

Stats: 140/119.5/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks

I really enjoy his books.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just starting L for Lawless by Sue Grafton. I'm having fun seeing where I live come into play with her writings. So far I haven't been disappointed.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think someone on the old thread mentioned Barbara Freethy's book, Taken, and it does sound like an interesting read, Wanted to let our friends know it's only .99 cents today on the Kindle site. Not sure what it's about but I picked it up. Now, I'll just have to find time to read it.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My, how the time do fly! Thought I'd better post my readings before I get too far behind. Finished book one of a three book box set on the bit of fluff I was reading...a romance that was okay but....Mad About You box set, by Stephanie Bond. First one has an interesting plot about a divorced couple (who still love each other, but can't talk about it) whose baby was kidnapped, hastening the divorce, child is discovered and returned to them with all the getting back together, resentment for his bio-parents as only an eight-year old can. Not bad, but not really my cup of tea unless I just want to chill.

Then I read Debora Geary's latest in her Witch Wold series...I love this extended family and, probably, wish I lived in Berkeley so I could know them...quite a few books in her series.

Started Whoopie Goldberg's Is It Just Me? I had this on my "to be picked up" list for a long time, had it on my Kindle for not so long..it was published in 2010 and I bought it at a discount for the Kindle last year sometime, and finally getting to it now. What a hoot!!!!! I love a person of about my age talking about all the things that have been bugging me about the changes in our world.

Of course, doing my scriptures, too, and now they've added some new ones that will be talked about in sunday school and relief society, so trying to stay up with my reading so I can stay ahead. Plus, my studies for working as a Family History Consultant. Maybe it's a good thing I'm turning back into a day person...lol.

What are you reading? Or do you have time to read? Let us know, as curious people want to know.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been meaning to ask, To what magazines do you subscribe, and which ones jump into your basket at the check-out stands? Are they special interest or general?

I subscribed for decades to Prevention, but had to stop when I had the eye surgery which changed my magazine-reading for sure. I'm astonished at how publication has changed over the years...I guess it's hard to compete with the on-line e-mags. I also think people are getting away from print stuff as there is too much going on in the world..anyway, enought pontificating...here's my list:

Magazine's I used to subscribe/pick up.
Time Magazine, had to stop this one, too small a print, and my subscription included the on-line version as well...kinda miss it, but not really. I liked it because it covered the news weekly and not the "breaking news that is covered all day on TV" and gave a good perspective of what was happening in the world.

Prevention, well, you know why, unless you're not familiar with it...good hints on health issues but it seems as tho' every month they covered a "new" diet...which got kind of old. Stopped it because of the small print but also a lot of the pages had print with no contrast (black type on a dark green background, for example). I even tossed my centuries-old copies. It too has an e-mag issue issue, but I never got used to it.

Nutrition Action published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Again, I subscribed for years and quit it. I even gave my notebooks of past issues to the nutritionist at my DH's dialysis center for their library. This is such a useful newsletter, I began a new subscription when my eyes stabilized and will continue it. Good information on health research, but I particularly like some of the recipes (doh!) on innovative ways to use healthy dishes.

First for Women or For Women First I can never figure out which it is. This is one mag that used to jump into my cart as I was checking out, but I now subscribe to it...good information on a lot of topics food and health-wise, but also contains recipes (see a sequence?) and general stories. I particularly like can-you-spot-the-difference pics they run monthly...using my brain, again.

TV Guide and Sunset I subscribed to both for years but got out of the habit. Back when TV Guide was a good guide for watching, but now there's such a pot-full of TV stations it's virtually useless, plus it became a fan-zine more than informational. Sunset I liked years ago, but got out of the habit when I left California. I had an "opportunity" to subscribe to each at a ridiculously cheap price, so did but they run out soon, so won't extend them...just no interest in them anymore, even tho' Sunset has excellent recipes (go figure)

After checking my magazine rack in the bathroom (where else?) that's about it except for those related to the organizations to which I belong. AARP, AAA, DAV, VFW and the WAC which I guess are self-explanatory. I like them all because they cover the news of what is happening in their worlds...plus, I like the travel aspects of the AARP and AAA. I get to travel vicariously with them...who knows, maybe one day, I'll go where they suggest.

That's it for me, what about you?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

oh wow, magazines! I used to subscribe to a bunch but because most are special interest they tend to be expensive. Here's a smattering:

Threads - sewing technique. I used to love it but they dumbed it down to try to appeal to novice sewers. It has since come back a bit.

Fine Cooking - love this magazine as they have great "ad lib" cooking ideas as well as seasonal recipes and technique advice. Used to subscribe to Cook's Illustrated also - always loved the fact they had no advertising.

Burda Style - a German publication that includes sewing patterns which you trace to create garments. The clothing is very fashion forward. I have some copies that are 5 years old that are currently on trend (for those who care about that). It has now gone to $90/year which is too steep for me so I pick up an occasional copy in NYC. Their new American edition is very dumbed down and cheaper, but I prefer the European edition with English translation.

Interweave Knits - a knitting pattern magazine with excellent technique articles. I also pick up Vogue Knitting, Interweave Crochet, KnitScene and Piecework on occasion, among others.

Dollhouse Miniatures - this features articles on top of the line miniature artisans along with "how to" articles. Very hard to find.

Martha Stewart Living - used to subscribe, now get it occasionally for recipe ideas. It's a wee bit precious for me, but I still sometimes enjoy it.

Yankee Magazine - I enjoy browsing this for the New England flavor - speaking of which, it's another source for good recipes.

At my oncologist's office the nurses are kind enough to bring in current copies of fashion and women's interest magazines - almost like a trip to the hairdresser! So I've been browsing Elle, Lucky, Better Homes & Gardens, Marie Claire, Good Housekeeping and other publications I would rarely buy.

-Louise

P.S. I used to enjoy Prevention but, to your point, Mary, it got repetitive with the "diet of the month" garbage. I also hate the use of drop out type - white on a black background for example - sheesh! Do they want people to be able to read or not? Coming from the ad industry, as I do, we always called it "art director gone ape," when design overran utility.

Last edited by weezie; 01-25-2014 at 06:45 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Nearly finished with Lee Child's Never Go Back, one of his books with Jack Reacher as the main character. Reacher is a former Army Major who served with the military police. I imagine the books are primarily aimed at men, but I've really enjoyed the series and there are a lot of them. I stumbled into reading them through DH Bob. Had run out of "my" books from the library and decided to read one of "his" and was hooked.

cheers!

-Louise
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooh! sounds good, I'll have to check him out....I, too, like some of the for-men books. thanks
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
Hope you don't mind an old newbie coming back on the boards. I love hearing about what everyone is reading and pick up a few to add to my Kindle reading list. I am finishing up on Dirt by Stuart Woods. Happy reading!
ska53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, old newbies are always welcome...just old friends we haven't met yet...Love the Kindle and always happy to meet a new friend who likes hers/his.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A note to all who have the Kindle or a Kindle app for one of your devices...I picked up a couple of freebies today on the Amazon site for the Daniel Fast. Don't know if you've heard of it, but at one church someplace the pastor decided to challenge his members to lose weight. He saw his congregation growing and not the way he wanted.

He's been on a lot of TV shows recently talking about the success of his plan which is eating the way Daniel did in the old testament...he'd been sent to Babylonia and decided he couldn't eat their way. So, he developed his own diet congruent with the kosher laws of the day...mainly fruit, vegetables, grains, and legumes...no meat, or meat products to include dairy because they were slaughtering the animals as tribute to their gods.

I'm only posting this because some of the recipes in Daniel Fast Cookbook by John C. Cary are excellent and, as I said, the book is free for Kindle or their apps. I particularly want to try the soups and salads, but the fruit filled squash in the appetizer section looks like a winner. Good recipes for some of those "meatless Monday" meals I want to try.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A little while ago I took advantage of the free Beth Moore books. I just finished the first one and loved the way she writes. This one was just about her family (Feathers from my Nest) but now I'm going to start "A Heart Like His" an intimate reflection on the life of David.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good...thanks Sharon.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #30