Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Golden Years
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weezie
Stats: 160/124/125 (5' 3")
WOE: mostly low carb
Just finished Storm Front by John Sandford, one of his Minnesota police novels. Sandford has a great number of books out which revolve around the Minneapolis police. They are probably primarily aimed at men, but I enjoy them.

Now starting Good Night, Mr. Holmes by Carole Nelson Douglas, the first in a series of books about Irene Adler, "The Woman" from the original Sherlock Holmes mysteries.
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/132.4/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Louise, Is that the same author that wrote the Sherlock book about bees.... I think it was called The Language of Bees ?? Enjoyed that one a few years ago.

Michele

Last edited by modon69478; 02-02-2014 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: grammar
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
Cemetery Girl

Just started this book by David Bell.
ska53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Michele, I don't think it is the same writer, but will have to investigate. I finished the book I mentioned and went on to Chapel Noir, another in the Irene Adler/Sherlock Holmes series by Carole Nelson Douglas. I'm really enjoying them but will probably need to switch off with a modern novel. The Victorian setting is very well done, but it can get a bit too "period" for me at times, if that makes any sense.

I also read/scanned Cool Couture: Construction Secrets for Runway Style by Kenneth King. He is a costume designer who has created outfits for Elton John, among others. Some of his embellishments are over the top, to put it mildly, but inspiring and fun.

In addition, I got Sandra Betzina Sews for Your Home from the library. I generally hate home dec sewing, but she has some good ideas. Projects for kids include a teepee, a card table playhouse, a puppet theater and a bunk bed "fort." Quite clever and imaginative.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I just finished John Grisham's The Rainmaker, and I thought it was really well written. I would like to read another novel of his and was wondering if anybody could recommend one of them.....Thanks
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
My goodness, IMHO anything written by Grisham is A-one...You might remember some of his books were adapted into movies; The Client, The Firm, Pelican Brief, and my favorite Runaway Jury. His books are well written and will suck you in quickly unlike some other good authors that drag along through half the book and then hook you. Although only his "Boone" series books you should read in sequence, most of his books are non-sequential, so it doesn't matter in which order you read them. Still you might do a search to see when he wrote them and try to stick to that order...I do that with a lot of authors so I can see how they develop.

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 02-07-2014 at 06:02 PM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Thanks Mssarge, I just picked up the Firm from Good Will!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Just finished The Tooth of Time by Sue Henry. This is one of a series of mysteries in which the protagonist, Maxie McNabb, is a retiree from Alaska who travels the lower 48 in her Winnebago (solving mysteries along the way, of course). This particular book was set in Taos, New Mexico. I found it well written and quite enjoyable.