Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: savtoosh
Losing Weight in Your 60's (and up)

Hello, everyone!

I hope you're all having a good day.

I just wanted to ask this. They say it's harder to lose weight when you're older. I see there's a lot of you here who has made huge progress in weight loss.

What do you think? Is it harder to lose weight when you're in your 60's and up? Do you think following the low-carb diet is the way to go?
savtoosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Of course it is more difficult to lose weight when you're older...a lot of things are working to making that so; metabolism slows down and we generally slow down physically as well. That doesn't mean we can't do it. Myself as a case in point...I've lost 50 pounds in the last year...well between now and June 2012. I've been a low carber for years (every since 1985) but couldn't remain so except in spurts. I miss too many things so would lose 10-15 pounds, tire of dieting and put it back on or more. I think the difference between then and now is that I decided I was going to lose so looked around for something to help me reach it...discovered the alternate day dieting last year and found a woe I can live with....BTW, I'm mid-70's.

We have had a lot of people who have lost the weight and kept it off for a long time. I've still 30 pounds to lose and have no doubt I can and will. I strongly believe you can do anything. It may take a little longer, but if you decide to do, you will make it happen. The real secret to weight loss is to find a plan that you can stick to...then follow the plan, never giving up.

As for sticking to the low carb woe, if you, like I do, feel better eating that way, then by all means do it. I still have days when I decide to eat higher carbs, but it is a decision I make...and slip back to eating normally. Why do you ask? Are you trying to decide on low carbing? Have you done so in the past? How much do you have to lose? All of these questions are pertinent to your eating that way....good luck on whatever you decide...

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 12-09-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Hi savtooth, a lot of us have been here for years, but it doesn't mean that we have begun a diet and stuck to it for years and years, it ain't happening, over 60 or under 60. A lot depends on whether you want to/can exercise daily, and whether you take meds, moods, lifestyle, bored easily, no matter which kind of way of eating you try to keep up with. Some of us have medical issues that keep us from eating certain foods, or eating at all.

It's up to you, what you eat, what makes you and keeps you happy, it might take awhile to figure it all out......but at least trying is more than doing nothing. Are you one of those "every January" dieters? Have you ever been to a dietitian, that is what helped my husband and me the most. Give it your best shot, but don't expect perfection, and exercise every day, that right there can help you a lot, to feel better. These Golden Years are not as "Golden" as we would like them to be............

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Hi and welcome savtoosh

Yes it is possible to lose weight at any age if you are determined to do it and can stick to a plan that works for you.
Atkins is my choice since it never leaves you hungry.

Give some a try and see what works and one that you can stay with for the rest of your life.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Of course it is more difficult to lose weight when you're older...a lot of things are working to making that so; metabolism slows down and we generally slow down physically as well. That doesn't mean we can't do it. Myself as a case in point...I've lost 50 pounds in the last year...well between now and June 2012. I've been a low carber for years (every since 1985) but couldn't remain so except in spurts. I miss too many things so would lose 10-15 pounds, tire of dieting and put it back on or more. I think the difference between then and now is that I decided I was going to lose so looked around for something to help me reach it...discovered the alternate day dieting last year and found a woe I can live with....BTW, I'm mid-70's.

We have had a lot of people who have lost the weight and kept it off for a long time. I've still 30 pounds to lose and have no doubt I can and will. I strongly believe you can do anything. It may take a little longer, but if you decide to do, you will make it happen. The real secret to weight loss is to find a plan that you can stick to...then follow the plan, never giving up.

As for sticking to the low carb woe, if you, like I do, feel better eating that way, then by all means do it. I still have days when I decide to eat higher carbs, but it is a decision I make...and slip back to eating normally. Why do you ask? Are you trying to decide on low carbing? Have you done so in the past? How much do you have to lose? All of these questions are pertinent to your eating that way....good luck on whatever you decide...
Thanks for replying.

And to answer your question - I'm actually a blogger. I'm a bit far off from being a senior myself, but my readers are seniors. And I get this question a lot. There are always questions about what diet plan will work or how to lose and keep the weight off. So I'm trying to find some people who've done it and see what they think.

Hey, congrats on the weight loss. I do admire your determination. I may not be a senior yet but I do want to lead a healthy lifestyle and lose the few pounds I can't seem to shake off after I gave birth. I do love my carbs, sad to say. So yeah, this research may be a bit personal as well.

And on a personal note, all this research has me reassessing my fitness goals as well. I have never been able to shake off the baby weight and it's been 2 years since I gave birth. So...

@mykneesareback - Doris, I'm ashamed to admit that yes, I may just be one of those "January dieters". New Year's resolution and all that.

@lovemontana - I was considering the 5:2 diet except I feel I may overeat on the 5 days to render the 2 fasting days useless. How's Atkins working out for you?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

I'm not on the 5:2diet. Just the old Atkins and it has worked extremely well for me for almost 20 years.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Hiya back atcha, Savtoosh, so just doing research, huh? Well, actually you're rather smart to start looking at losing weight while you're still young enough to do so easier. I highly recommend that you do so...believe me it's easier to maintain a healthier lifestyle than to lose pounds.

If you, or your readers, look at the benefits of living the low carb lifestyle and the intermittent fasting you will see there are many health benefits to them...and the 5:2 is simply another way of intermittent fasting. Both woe have benefits other than simple weight loss. (you might check out the JUDDD forum in the other room for many of the benefits of IF.)

The one thing that most people get wrong about Atkins and all the rest of the low carb lifestyle is it is not an all-you-can-eat of bacon, steaks, etc...people have to eat a wide-selection of vegetables and moderate portions of protein, but the tasty proteins are the bonus. Once you go through induction of the no more than 20 carbs, your craving for the higher carb foods should be lessened BUT there is always the desire to eat something off plan. It does get boring for many folks and that's the reason most people go off plan.

That's one of the reasons, I went with the JUDDD woe. I got tired of gaining and losing the same-old 10-15 pounds. With IF, you can eat normally on your up days. And believe it or not, going with very low calories on the down days becomes very easy after only a few rotations. It is easier to recognize actual physical hunger after only a couple of the low calorie days...for example, yesterday my first meal was at six o'clock in the evening and I wasn't hungry all day. Many people find the 5:2 diet easier because they can set certain days of the week for the low cal days rather than the rotation of JUDDD, thus fasting on Tuesday and Thursday, for example and having their weekends free to enjoy normal days. It's easy to change rotations for special events, tho', and many people have gone off-plan for a couple of weeks at a time (vacations, etc.) and be able to lose any weight gained with just a couple of rotations....the health benefits continue even tho' you're enjoying yourself. Oh yes, on your higher calorie days, you don't "eat everything in sight." Sure you'll have an occasional UUAD (up up and away) days, but they're few and far between..your body adjusts and very quickly, too.

As I said above, there are many benefits to both woe...many diabetics are able to go off their meds with both (but they must work with their doctors on this). Both will also give you more energy and the benefits of IF especially go beyond losing weight. Check the science on both and you'll find some surprising research.

But weight loss and maintaining that weight loss, you have to follow your plan, stay active as Doris says, and remember always that it may be more difficult for older folks to lose weight but it is still possible and you have to be in it for the long run and be very forgiving of yourself.

Last edited by Mssarge; 12-11-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

And 98% of people who lose weight, gain it back and/or more, and we do it over and over again...........................no matter which plan, no matter how often it's touted as being the "best", it ain't the "best" if a person won't/can't stay on it forever. This is nothing new at all, you can research all you want, not many people enjoy eating nothing but healthy food. Nagging, praying, swearing, that is why weight loss is a BILLION dollar business, has been for many many years. Even people who had bariactic surgery can't seem to keep all of the lost weight off. Research the addiction factor.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Now, you gave me more food for thought @mykneesareback. Are we addicted to eating? That's something I'll be looking into and adding to my research. Thanks for that.

Totally agree with you about not "enjoying" healthy food. Somehow, it's always gotten the connotation that healthy = not delicious.

@Mssarge - I really should have done this ages ago, but hey, never too late right? One of the reasons diet plans are hard to follow IMO is it's hard to keep monitoring what you eat. You know, counting calories and all that. You mention you're doing IF now? Was it hard to transition to that initially? Any challenges now?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

I hope you are not trying to come up with yet another "diet" book, look at how many books, magazine articles, etc. have been written on the subject for decades, you won't be coming up with anything new or "magical", but there are desperate people out there who will think knowledge alone will make it happen.................every forum that I've been on for over 10 years has members who could write out a healthy eating plan for someone, but that does not mean a dang thing, there is much more to it, it's not just an addiction to "eating", you need to research more before you research anyone else on these kinds of forums. Lordy, thousands of books already haven't changed a thing. More words won't help...........look up orthorexic, for example, and see how some people can take dieting to the extreme, the other way..........there is no real understanding of the mental issues behind overeating. How can you blog for Senior's, if you "aren't" older already, anyway?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #11

Doris.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil