LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kat41057
Stats: 203/19/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. 2013
General Question for Low Carbers

Good morning!!!! It's a cold morning here in NB.. -12c yuck.

I have a question regarding "Low carbing" What # do you aim for each day?
I have been doing Atkins on and off for the last couple of weeks. I lost 11lbs. during induction, but then my daughter came home towards the end of November, and Atkins got put to the side during her visit.
Now that she has gone back to Ottawa, I have been having a VERY hard time getting back on program.
I put on 4lbs while she was home, but have managed to lose 1 lb since trying to get back in the saddle. I have been getting headaches again, and terrible leg cramps at night. Altho I have been trying to up my water intake, and having broth in the afternoon I am getting very frustrated . I think my problem is... I miss some of the foods that I had to set aside.... Oatmeal, yogurt. I even cheated last night.... 2 Glasses of wine, annnndddd Popcorn (lite). I usually get into the chocolate, but didn't.
Can you guys help this old girl (56) to get back on track? I love the idea of low carb, but I am at a spot that I'm not sure what to do...
Thanks for letting me rant... Kat
Kat41057 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/133.6/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Hi Kat,

Everybody's body is so different - but, for me, if I can keep to 20 carbs or below, I will lose a pound each week. As you well know, this time of year makes it difficult, but not impossible. So do the best you can and you will move in the right direction. Many here will tell you that at our age keeping sugar to a minimum and getting in some kind of exercise is the key to a healthy lifestyle. Good Luck!

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing,
Michele
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Try writing down what you are eating every day.
Sounds like you've been quite a bit off-plan. A good record of how much and where you have gone over can be very useful. I find that just the act of writing it down helps me stay on plan. I don't feed my data into a calculator, but that really works well for peeps and I theoretically could since I have a record..

I don't know what popcorn lite is, but popcorn is not a good choice. I ate a bag of popcorn three weeks ago, so learned my lesson there.

What are you willing to give up? The wine is likely not a help at all. It helped me pack on too many pounds and it is just not worth it anymore to me. You can add oatmeal latter, but maybe not so good now. There are some lower carb versions of breakfast cereals you might try. Different opinions of yogurt. I eat small quantities of plain full fat, not everyday though. I swap out my cheese allotment.

You need to find a balance that works for you. I am older than you are and it is a challenge to drop pounds, no doubt. I've been in a long stall, but I am more determined to stay of plan. I believe the loss will come. Really, what is the alternative?? Is scale loss your primary goal?

I am sometimes plagued with nasty leg cramps, too. For me, the only thing that works is upping sodium a LOT. I even salt my coffee. For me, mild headaches are nearly always a sign of dehydration. Water, salt, and maybe an aspirin are my cure.

If you are drinking store bought broth, be sure to read the labels. They are highly variable and nearly all add sugar or honey. I used to go low-salt but now, when I don't make my own, I always purchase the salted variety, and one with a low carb count. Some have more vegetables in the broth, which increases the carbs, so sometimes I purchase those if I want a more flavorable soup.

There are lots of threads/posts on leg cramps if you google or do an advanced search here. Lots of different strategies, but it is a common problem You may have to experiment to find what works for you, but a good night's slee is worth a little research, IMO.

Good luck. Start clean eating today and you'll feel so much better before many days pass.

Last edited by Patience; 11-30-2013 at 07:22 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Here's my story.

I lost most my weight on the South Beach Diet. Got down to below 200 before I just couldn't do it anymore. It had become torture to eat low - nonfat foods. I was always craving. I never went off the plan but ate way too much of the foods that were on the plan. Then after I had put back on 100 pounds by doing that I discovered the low carb higher fat way to eat. Now that I have started eating that way I feel better and no more cravings. Because I am a lazy lady because of a knee condition I'm not able to get out there and walk like before. So I don't eat as much protein. I know protein that is not use for fuel gets stored as fat. I love this way of eating now. I'm so satisfied and don't need to gorge myself anymore. As far as my carb count. I don't count. I just keep it fat protein and carbs in that order. I have to say that carbs are mainly lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, zucchini, yellow squash a little carrot and tomato. There's more but you get the idea.

Oh I have a wonderful hot cereal that you can enjoy like oatmeal. It's equal amounts of flax meal, unsweetened shredded coconut, and chia seeds. Add a good tablespoon of cinnamon if you make in 1 cup measurements like I do. Put it in a ziplock bag and keep it in the refrigerator. When you are ready for cereal take a 1/2 cup of the mixture and add a cup of hot water to it. Mix and it will gel up. I like to add a tbs of coconut butter and a little stevia to that while it's gelling. Top it with heavy cream and eat. Sometimes I put a pinch of dried cranberries to it.

Well I've gabbed enough. I wish you well on your weight loss journey. It's an on going battle I know. From what I've found this way of eating for me has been the right way. I'm losing regularly now and can see my goal over the horizon.

Take care and hang out with us. We are all doing our own plans but there is a chair waiting for you if you like.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kat41057
Stats: 203/19/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. 2013
Thanks for all the insight... I appreciate it very much, Kat
Kat41057 is offline   Reply With Quote