Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   Any 50+ age folks here needing to start an Atkins' induction? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/815719-any-50-age-folks-here-needing-start-atkins-induction.html)

kimw 10-21-2013 06:15 PM

Any 50+ age folks here needing to start an Atkins' induction?

Anyone else here over 50 want to join with me in starting a **gasp** Atkins induction, sticking to 20 grams of carbs per day?

I don't want to do it either, but I seriously need to shed some pounds. When I was 40 years old I had great success losing a great deal of weight and maintaining that weight loss by always being conscious of carb intake.

Age 56 now, dreadfully overweight since I stopped carb counting. But I can do it again! Surely? Anyone else need to or want to join me?

Lettuce and unprocessed meat for two weeks. How to find the time to cook and chop and wash and prepare unprocessed food while working fulltime? Heck, I managed it 15 years ago when I was rearing my children, so why can't I do it now?

Ah, tired....But no wonder, as overweight as I am now.

Any other takers? Kim

Mssarge 10-21-2013 11:28 PM

Hey Kim...welcome to the thread. Hope you find a partner to team up with. It's a lot easier to keep to plan when you've someone else to help keep you on the straight and narrow.

Mostly we're a group who check in with each other and keep our morale up and going. We seem to have our own way of eating but keeping to a moderate carb plan. I'm doing JUDDD and couple of others are also.

Good luck with the weight loss, it's a bit harder at our age but you can still do it...just keep to your plan and follow through. Check back with us to let us know how you're doing and you might want to use the menu and exercise threads as it's easier to lose if you're keeping the log.

BringOnTheLard 11-14-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimw (Post 16653067)
Anyone else here over 50 want to join with me in starting a **gasp** Atkins induction, sticking to 20 grams of carbs per day?

I don't want to do it either, but I seriously need to shed some pounds. When I was 40 years old I had great success losing a great deal of weight and maintaining that weight loss by always being conscious of carb intake.

Age 56 now, dreadfully overweight since I stopped carb counting. But I can do it again! Surely? Anyone else need to or want to join me?

Lettuce and unprocessed meat for two weeks. How to find the time to cook and chop and wash and prepare unprocessed food while working fulltime? Heck, I managed it 15 years ago when I was rearing my children, so why can't I do it now?

Ah, tired....But no wonder, as overweight as I am now.

Any other takers? Kim

Hi Kim,

Sent friend request. I'm age 51 and doing very low carb/induction type diet. Also have similar amount to lose. :hiya:

SuSUN 11-15-2013 06:02 PM

Hi Kim and Lard,

I seriously need to join You gals. I just cant seem to stick with it these days. I keep getting tempted, sidetrack, long detour off track.

Kim, when I did it before I cooked several pieces of meat at one time, so it was ready ahead of time and then just steam a few veggies to each meal. I hope it works for You and I hope I can get my butt into gear to get back on track.

BringOnTheLard 11-15-2013 06:09 PM

Send me a friend request. Haven't heard from Kim yet. I've researched low carb for 10 years and would happy to offer advice and buddy up. :hiya:

Havefaith9 11-15-2013 07:46 PM

Any 50+ age folks here needing to start an Atkins' induction?

I would love to join. Started low carb last October and lost 29 pds. Have gained back 24 pds. Can't seem to stick with it. :stars:

HaveFaith

BringOnTheLard 11-16-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havefaith9 (Post 16684925)
I would love to join. Started low carb last October and lost 29 pds. Have gained back 24 pds. Can't seem to stick with it. :stars:

HaveFaith

Super! Let's do it. :clap:

Do you ladies live with family? If you have others in the family not low carbing that can make it a bit more difficult.

I think it's best to transition in to the diet. Start by getting rid of all sugar, completely for a week or two. Then for a week, eat low carb breakfasts, then add in lunch for another week, then finally dinner.

The worst trigger for me seems to be artificial sweeteners. Haven't really tested stevia yet, but the rest cause me to crave carbs for about 2 days after I eat or drink them. So I just cut out sweets of all kinds.

I allow myself one carb evening every other week. I eat whatever I want for dinner, have cocktails and have a sweet dessert. So far it's worked great, I go right back to keto the next day, and I'm back in ketosis by the next afternoon. Maybe cause I'm fat adapted? I gain a few pounds of water weight for a couple days after, but it drops right off again and I still lose a pound that week. And...no cravings after. Real sugar doesn't seem to cause me cravings as bad as artificial. :dunno:

I have noticed that my body wants that carb evening for some reason. At the end of two weeks, I do start craving carbs. Not sure what that is about, but I decided to go with it rather than fight it. I think that might be why some people have a hard time with the diet. They get some cravings, cheat, gain that water weight, and feel guilty and demotivated and give up. :cry:

If you allow yourself one evening every other week, or even once a week to start, you don't feel like you've cheated. You know that water weight is coming but will drop off quickly too. If you end up lighter a week later, you know you're still losing.

Personally I think it's much better to have those carb ups planned out. It's something to look forward to and prevents cheating. If you feel you can't ever have carbs that's soooo hard to face and I think can derail you. Everyone is different though. Maybe some people will get bad cravings after a carb up. But I have found just the opposite, I really feel good after, and go right back on the diet with no problems. :up:

BringOnTheLard 11-16-2013 09:02 AM

I'm actually not following Atkins, I'm doing a very strict ketogenic diet. Honestly, I don't bother with any veggies/salads. I did Atkins in the early 90s, and lost a lot of weight, but found it difficult as I was always trying to fit in veggies as I felt, back then, that the diet wasn't healthy. So I did it to lose weight, with the feeling that I needed to get off it as soon as I was down to my goal. Of course I gained most of the weight back afterwards.

Then I read Gary Taubes NY article about 10 years ago and started serious research after that. Reading all his books, every article and study I could find online, etc. More recently I started reading everything I could on ketogenic diets. I've realized that if I want to live a healthy life, I have to do keto the rest of it. My mother died of ovarian cancer and probably had diabetes but avoided doctors like the plague. Her mother and my sister both died of complications of diabetes. I've been avoiding sugar and wheat and eating more fat for the last 10 years and I think that's prevented me from becoming diabetic. But I didn't do strict ketogenic so my weight was mostly steady over those years, although I think I lost about 20 pounds based on clothes I still had.

After separating from my husband this summer, and buying a new home, I've wanted to make other changes so decided it was time to lose all the extra weight and avoid the cancers and diabetes that runs in my family. After reading so much, I don't think there's a healthier way of life than being in ketosis. :up:

When the weight is gone though, I do plan to add in some salads and veggies. Although from what I've read, they aren't needed but I think would add variety. But for now, all carbs are the enemy as they cause me to crave more. :down:

alticwilson 11-30-2013 02:58 PM

I have started today on an Atkins diet. I will be 55 years old in about a week. I am so happy to find so many others that are trying to lose weight and be healthier.

I weighed in today at 152.2 and my goal weight is between 130-135.

I am looking forward to making some new friends here!

Let the weight loss begin!

Catnapper 11-30-2013 03:21 PM

I am 72, diabetic, a little bit crippled and need to lose lots of weight.
I have been eating low carb for about a month. I really like it and have had no trouble avoiding the carbs.

My goal is to quit taking medication for the diabetes.

How is that for a challenge?

CF1 12-04-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringOnTheLard (Post 16685345)
I'm actually not following Atkins, I'm doing a very strict ketogenic diet. ..... :down:

That sounds very interesting, I'll have to check that out. I started induction on 10/15, but bounced out soon thereafter. I haven't been on strict 20 carb per day induction. I'd love to start again.

Rob

BringOnTheLard 12-10-2013 06:43 AM

If you can get past the main sugar and carb cravings at the beginning, then test stuff as you go along, that can make it all so much easier. I have recently tested stevia and seems I can use small amounts in cappuccino I make every couple of days without cravings later.

Catnapper, there is no better way of life for a diabetic. You are in the right place, and if you want to get rid of the medications and feel a million percent better, this diet can do that. :up: A close friend just lost his brother to diabetes a couple weeks ago, and I've known so many others. It can be conquered, and people are winning with LC every day.

I'm still doing the very, very low carb and hit a new low today even though I splurged on Thanksgiving. Took longer to get back down than I expected though.

Rob, you have so little to lose, being in ketosis though can be all about general health. If you are into performance diets, ketogenic, in most cases, also seems to be the way to go. ;)

LoveMontana 12-11-2013 09:25 PM

Hang in there gang. You can do it if you put your mind to it.

Baby boomer 12-11-2013 11:05 PM

I'm 59 and weigh 182, 5'7 .I've got fat in the belly which is humiliating. So for the first time I'm on low carb. My 40 yr old daughter has become a pro at this way of life. She's coaching me along but I find I'm making mistakes. Like assuming all vegetables are sugar free. Like not actually counting carbs by number ..so I've gotten discouraged because in three weeks I've only lost 2 pounds (after the initial water loss). So to find the problem I'm now keeping a food diary with hopes of recognizing my mistakes. At times I wonder if low carb is the diet for me, could my body just be more suited to another diet ..I find it hard to eat as much fat that's allowed in LC without feeling guilt. So if any of this makes sense to anyone do you have any advice or have you had similar experiences?

BringOnTheLard 12-12-2013 05:48 AM

Hi Baby boomer. From my many years of reading, and my current research on ketogenic diets, I believe low carb is the very healthiest way of life for at least 80 percent of people. Besides the belly fat (a sign of metabolic syndrome) do you have any other health issues? Signs of diabetes? How's your blood pressure? How do you feel your brain is functioning..thinking very clearly? How is your sleep? Joint pain? Cholesterol? Low carb isn't just about losing weight, it's about getting healthy for life. If you've lost some weight you are on the right track.

My brain is functioning now better than it has in many years, by a huge degree. My sleep is soooo much better. I rarely have any aches and pains. And I'm down over 40 lbs since early August.

At your age and being female, you will probably find weight loss a bit slower than most. One of the things about low carb is that it does build muscle and muscle is heavier than fat. So measure your waist about weekly. If you just have to see a faster weight loss, then you will need to get the carbs down lower, and make sure you are getting enough fat.

I'm 51 and eating approximately 75-80% fat, 15-20% protein and just 5% carbs. This is fairly extreme though and most probably don't have to go that low in carbs. If you only removed grains and sugar, you'd be much much healthier but the weight loss would take a lot longer.

You are very lucky to have a daughter to help you with this. She obviously loves you and is pointing you in the right direction. I'm guessing though that you just haven't had enough time and reading to get totally past the low fat myth. Ask her to point you to lectures and studies online. Won't take very long to be completely convinced. ;)

If you have been burning carbs for fuel for most of your life, it can take a while to feel the best effects of low carb. But it is totally worth it!

Baby boomer 12-12-2013 05:18 PM

Thank you bringonthelard, wow it was hard to make myself say that. Yes I need to educate myself further. Before starting this diet my thyroid was all but nonfunctioning...so after weeks of increased synthroid my levels are good...however I put on a quick 15 pounds. I thought once I got the thyroid level good it wouldn't be so hard to loose. My endocrinologist suggested the low carb...so after resisting it I had to start. Do you think keeping the diary is a start in the right direction? Do you think I should go no zero carbs at first? Since keeping the diary I'm having less than 20 per day.
Oh about my health, sleep is allusive...some nights I sleep all night some I don't . I use a c-pap which isn't due to overweight I've had it since 25 lbs ago. It worries the heck out of me some nights. I take meds for cholesterol and tryglicerides but found that they are no doubt elevated bc of the thyroid. I expect those levels to go down once all things are working in harmony, diet, synthroid. Oh, exercise has been out of the question for months with hypothyroidism fatigue is big problem. I'm slowly feeling better and want to do some exercise . Thank you for any further input. You're an inspiration.

Baby boomer 12-12-2013 05:19 PM

By the way what is woe?

Baby boomer 12-12-2013 05:23 PM

What is ketogenic?

LoveMontana 12-12-2013 05:51 PM

Ketogenic Ketogenic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WOE Way of Eating.

BringOnTheLard 12-13-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Thank you bringonthelard, wow it was hard to make myself say that.
^^^ LOVE THAT! Gave me a huge grin!

Babyboomer. First, I do suggest that folks take it slow at first and transition in. What I suggest is that the first week you stop all sugar. Use some artificial sweeteners if you must, but phase those out quickly. Then second week make your breakfast low carb, then the third week make lunch low carb as well, finally dinner.

Do not worry about exercise at all at this point. Exercise will NOT help weight loss. When you've been on the diet a while, you will start to feel like moving more and more energy then will get you more active. Just focus on the diet now.

Important; low carb can really improve health, so make sure you follow your doctors advice on being checked so you don't end up over medicating while on this diet.

Think of animal products as the main nutrient you need to eat. Milk though has a lot of carbs so avoid that. You'll have to give up processed foods, except maybe cheese, bacon and sausage. But eggs, meat, fish, poultry, heavy cream, etc., will have all the nutrients your body needs. Use lots of butter and eat the fat on your meat and poultry, don't take the skin off chicken, you need that. Think of anything not animal based as optional flavorings to be used sparingly. I do supplement with vitamin C and D.

Breakfast can be a few eggs cooked any way in butter. Or an omelette with some sauteed mushrooms and cheese for variety.

Lunch can be a large hamburger patty with a slice of cheese on top.

Dinner can be some pork chops (no breading or flour), fried in butter with lots of garlic. And a small amount of steamed broccoli with cheese.

If you are dealing with fatigue cooking and cleanup can be hard. I know, I've been there. Personally I'm happy eating the same thing day in and out, so I'll make really easy foods. Like I'll fry up a bunch of hamburger patties (can get cheap already formed frozen ones (but read the ingredients!). Fry those up and put in the fridge. Then take one or two out, top with a slice of cheese and microwave to warm them for your meal. Buy bags of fresh salad mix, and a full fat dressing, then take a small handful of greens, add a bit of cheese and dressing and you have a meal.

I'm currently eating vinegar chicken every day. I only eat two meals a day now though, but that's because I've been doing LC for a long while now. I buy a big package of skin on chicken thighs. I brown them in a frying pan, add a bunch of garlic powder, salt and pepper and a good amount of apple cider vinegar, cover and braise until cooked. Then I have one or two as a meal.

I personally want foods that are even easier than processed stuff to prepare. I want to make doing LC as easy as possible, which will make sticking with it much easier. :up:

BringOnTheLard 12-13-2013 07:20 AM

For beverages. Coffee with heavy cream (no sweeteners) is very healthy. Can make ice tea easily. Then drink unsweetened or just a bit of stevia. Water of course. Get rid of all the fizzy processed stuff, even sugar free drinks. If you feel you just can't give up pop, then try to stick with one can or less of stevia soda per day.

BringOnTheLard 12-13-2013 07:31 AM

One last thing. Even small cheats will cause a lot of water weight over a few days. So don't panic and get discouraged if you see pounds go up fast for a few days, it's almost all water. It will come back down again over about 4 - 5 days. I allow myself a cheat evening once a week. I have a few cocktails, and some sweets and a glass of milk. I still avoid wheat though as I've found that puts on more weight than sugar or starches. I plan to splurge for Christmas. I will probably gain about 7 lbs, mostly water. And it will probably take two weeks to get rid of it. However, I don't have any problem doing that. I jump right back into LC without cravings and don't panic seeing the scale go up. Some people can't handle it though as they can't stop the carbs once they cheat. It's something you can test though. I was VLC (very low carb) for a month before I tried it.

CF1 12-16-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringOnTheLard (Post 16712796)
Rob, you have so little to lose, being in ketosis though can be all about general health. If you are into performance diets, ketogenic, in most cases, also seems to be the way to go. ;)

I'm not sure about the difference between Atkins and Ketogenic. Maybe the fat intake? I do tend to eat meat that is lean. Perhaps up the fat intake?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

LoveMontana 12-16-2013 03:23 PM

I've been on Atkins since 1997 and eat a lot of natural fats. ie meat fats, butter, lard, heavy cream, cheese etc. As long as it is "natural fat" it is good for you.

Oh and my weight hovers between 110 and 112 and has since losing 55 + lbs years ago.

Last check my HDL was 146 and triglycerides were 42, and I'm well over 60 years old.;) Oh and I have Hashimoto's thyroditis too.

BringOnTheLard 12-17-2013 03:03 PM

Rob, Atkins induction is ketogenic. When I say ketogenic I mean that I am eating such low amounts of carbs, and high fat, that I'm in deep ketosis all the time. Except for scheduled carb ups I do. And yes, I do eat a LOT of fat, moderate protein and very few carbs. By calories, probably over 75% fat, about 20% protein and 5% carbs. After all the reading I've been doing on ketosis and the amazing health benefits, I intend to spend most of the rest of my life eating to stay in ketosis.

Yes, lean meats and low carb don't work well together, primarily because excess amounts of protein are converted by the body to glucose. So if you are eating very low carb, but not losing weight well, it's probably due to too much protein. Try upping fats. Find a really good quality pasture butter, add to your meats and coffee. Pork usually has more fat than beef, get chicken thighs with the skin, add extra butter to your eggs, etc.

Shaking stuff up seems to help stalls. That can mean eating a lot of extra food a few days, eating less a few, fat fasts, or even carb up days where you eat whatever you want. With a carb up, you will see a lot of water weight gain for several days after, but it disappears within less than a week if you go right back to low carb.

BringOnTheLard 12-17-2013 03:04 PM

LoveMontana...you are an inspiration. :clap:

LoveMontana 12-17-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringOnTheLard (Post 16721649)
LoveMontana...you are an inspiration. :clap:

Well, thank you.:)

Linda

CF1 12-18-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringOnTheLard (Post 16721647)
Rob, Atkins induction is ketogenic. When I say ketogenic I mean that I am eating such low amounts of carbs, and high fat, that I'm in deep ketosis all the time. Except for scheduled carb ups I do. And yes, I do eat a LOT of fat, moderate protein and very few carbs. By calories, probably over 75% fat, about 20% protein and 5% carbs. After all the reading I've been doing on ketosis and the amazing health benefits, I intend to spend most of the rest of my life eating to stay in ketosis.

Yes, lean meats and low carb don't work well together, primarily because excess amounts of protein are converted by the body to glucose. So if you are eating very low carb, but not losing weight well, it's probably due to too much protein. Try upping fats. Find a really good quality pasture butter, add to your meats and coffee. Pork usually has more fat than beef, get chicken thighs with the skin, add extra butter to your eggs, etc.

Shaking stuff up seems to help stalls. That can mean eating a lot of extra food a few days, eating less a few, fat fasts, or even carb up days where you eat whatever you want. With a carb up, you will see a lot of water weight gain for several days after, but it disappears within less than a week if you go right back to low carb.

Thanks for the great information! I've hit a stone wall, stuck in 3lb limbo - going up and going down. I DO eat lots of lean meat. I will try your suggestions and see where they take me.

Thanks,

Rob

BringOnTheLard 12-18-2013 07:37 AM

Rob, don't forget to lower the protein along with upping the fats. ;)

Natural saturated fats are probably the most important thing you can eat, despite all the BS. At a very cellular level, saturated fats are good for your whole body, in particular your brain. So eat them knowing they are healthy, healing and will help you lose weight to boot.

Note LoveMontana's stats. She's a great example of just how healthy they are. :jumpjoy:

CF1 12-19-2013 01:26 PM

Do you think replacing red meat with fish/shellfish is a good option? Thank you for all of the information!