Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF1 View Post
Do you think replacing red meat with fish/shellfish is a good option? Thank you for all of the information!
Hell NO, you will be hungry all the time.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
I'd disagree a bit with Linda on this one but no reason to stop red meat if you can find fattier cuts. Shellfish is very, very healthy. So is fish. Just be sure to eat it with lots of fat. Fish and shellfish don't tend to have a lot of fat so you'll have to supplement. Try some hollandaise (sp?) with poached fish. Dip your shellfish (I love mussels) in hot lemon butter, etc. I love beef, but it's not agreeing with me right now. So I'm doing a lot of chicken and some fish. Hit 199 this morning. First time I've been under 200 for a very long time.

Last edited by BringOnTheLard; 12-19-2013 at 06:56 PM..
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringOnTheLard View Post
I'd disagree a bit with Linda on this one but no reason to stop red meat if you can find fattier cuts. Shellfish is very, very healthy. So is fish. Just be sure to eat it with lots of fat. Fish and shellfish don't tend to have a lot of fat so you'll have to supplement. Try some hollandaise (sp?) with poached fish. Dip your shellfish (I love mussels) in hot lemon butter, etc. I love beef, but it's not agreeing with me right now. So I'm doing a lot of chicken and some fish. Hit 199 this morning. First time I've been under 200 for a very long time.
Congratulations for hitting under the 200 mark.

No there is no reason to stop red meats, We thrive on Ribe eye steaks, pot roast and many nice fatty cuts of beef, As well as lobster tail, bacon wrapped scallops, and heavy cream for coffee. Fat does satisfy.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Linda!

Rob, if you don't want to spend so much on steaks, try some fatty hamburger. The best I find is 80/20. Just don't drain after cooking.

Where I live though, this is the best time of year to buy rib roasts as they are on sale for the holidays. Just cut them into steaks yourself and freeze.

I've been buying lots of skin on chicken thighs for about 1.50 a pound, and they satisfy me about better than anything else I've found.

Last edited by BringOnTheLard; 12-20-2013 at 06:22 AM..
Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #35
CF1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CF1
Stats: 216/195/185
Start Date: 10/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringOnTheLard View Post
Thank you Linda!

Rob, if you don't want to spend so much on steaks, try some fatty hamburger. The best I find is 80/20. Just don't drain after cooking.

Where I live though, this is the best time of year to buy rib roasts as they are on sale for the holidays. Just cut them into steaks yourself and freeze.

I've been buying lots of skin on chicken thighs for about 1.50 a pound, and they satisfy me about better than anything else I've found.
Thank you both for your input. I've been using Kerrygold butter lately, and cook with that all of the time. I live near a great butchery, so I'll indulge in a little keto shopping this weekend.

Thanks again,

Rob
CF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buzzquzz
Stats: 193/193/130
Start Date: Dec 27,2013
Hi I am new to this site just started lc 12/27/13 my goal is 60 lbs. Have found everyones comments very helpful and great support to reach my goal. I too want to remove myself from my BP and Diabetic meds. So heres to to Us!!!
buzzquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Buzz!

Sounds like you want to be healthier. After 10 years of reading and research and experimenting, I don't think there is a better way of eating than low carb. Read a lot of the posts on this site, there is a wealth of information. Be aware though, that low carbbing is still being tested and tried, so advice can be conflicting at times but if you get the basics down and get rid of grains (pasta, bread, rice, etc.) and sugar (even fruit), you will get healthier and feel better, so stick to that even if the rest is still a bit debatable.

Also check the low carb challenges posts. Should be new ones popping up Jan 1. Would be a good idea to join one or more of the challenges. Can be very motivating.

Last edited by BringOnTheLard; 12-28-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: way2fluffy
Stats: 215/205/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 12/28/13
Haven't been here in over a year. Getting back to it now. Can't wait until the new year. This is the first year in a long time I haven't gained weight, however, I need to shed at least 50 pounds to get healthy.
So, I'm looking for some support and accountability. I've been eating low carb for most of last year, slipping now and again. I won't reach my goal unless I practice some portion control and stop drinking alcohol......two things that I sel-sabotage on a regular basis.
Looking forward to feeling better and sharing the journey.

I'm not fat by chance. This is a choice. And it's a choice I no longer wish to make.

smile often---pray more---complain less
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buzzquzz
Stats: 193/193/130
Start Date: Dec 27,2013
Bringonthelard thanks for all the info. I will check outh the challenges to keep up motivation and encouragement. Can you explain how to post my stats and woe? I see where to upload a photos but not the rest. Thanks.
buzzquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

You can click the User Control Panel. Then Edit Details link should be on left, top. :-)
Old 12-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Fluffy! Glad you are back!

I think much of the thought about low carb has refined over the last year. I believe it's more about tweaking the percentages of fat/protein/carb than about eating less and the worst way to lose weight would be to be hungry. It's not good mentally or metabolically. Getting the carbs down very low but upping the fat to as much as you can handle I think is the biggest benefit.

I still have my cocktail nights, but limit to just one evening a week. I then have some sweets and a glass of milk after. But have found that I really can't do wheat/grains even on my carb nights or it slows the weight loss a lot. A day or two after the cocktails I have a fat fast day and that gets rid of the couple pounds of water weight I've absorbed. The rest of the time I do VLC, VHF and I've lost about 40 lbs since August.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: way2fluffy
Stats: 215/205/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 12/28/13
Thanks BringontheLard. I'm trying to do VLC and then do a fat fast after new years. I purchased a ketometer and still wasn't in ketosis after 3days of fat fast, which was surprising. I lost my way when my sweet baboo and I went to New Orleans for a long weekend......too much holiday celebrating. Back to it now. Feeling too blah to eat carbs one more day. I will have some black eyed peas and greens for New Years, tiny bit.
This is a very supportive board but not much " diet " focus so I'm really glad to have a few folks doing my WOE.
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote