Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   Best LC soup I ever made (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/814747-best-lc-soup-i-ever-made.html)

Begete 10-13-2013 01:41 PM

Best LC soup I ever made

Kale, sausage and Parmesan soup

Onion, chopped
1 pound hot Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced

Fry onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil in deep, wide pot, like Le Creuset. Add bits of sausage til all browned.

Chop lots of kale, oregano, rosemary, parsley and add to browning kale and sausage. Add either chopped or dry thyme and sage, salt and pepper. Add a cup or more of dry white wine and cook til wine almost evaporated.

Add a few cups of chicken broth. When bubbling, add about a cup of grated Parmesan.

Mix a spoon of xanthum gum powder with a cup of cold heavy cream, and pour into simmering soup.

When thickened, taste and add more cream or Parmesan to taste and texture you like.

Let simmer for 15 minutes or more.

modon69478 10-13-2013 02:09 PM

Looks good, Babette, thanks for sharing!

Michele

mykneesareback 10-13-2013 07:32 PM

Does the cooking get rid of the "fuzziness" on the Kale, Begete? Just wondering................

Shalbrihil 10-13-2013 08:06 PM

I might try this Babette. We're tea totalers here but it may work out without the wine. Shrug. What do you think?

mykneesareback 10-13-2013 08:19 PM

Sharon, I just use chicken broth when something calls for wine, I don't have wine around, ever, and won't buy it for just cooking. :)

Shalbrihil 10-13-2013 11:20 PM

That's what I thought. Thanks Doris. :)

jshep 10-17-2013 11:41 AM

Thanks for the recipe, I be trying this one this weekend. Perfect time of year for hot soup.

Mssarge 10-17-2013 01:07 PM

Doris, quick note of the "fuzziness" of kale...yep, cooking it does eliminate that and turns into the texture of most greens. I decided I don't like the kale chips and rarely like it raw (although I may add a small leaf to my mixed green salad, but I chop it fairly finely for that.) But it does stand up to cooking, sauteing and has a mellow taste.

This really turned out well last night and I think it's much better than Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana which has been my fav at that place....much more flavorful. The parm adds a lot to the taste and, of course, I didn't have to pick out the potato chunks. With two cans of chicken broth, it made four very large servings. I froze two before adding the parm and cream, so will see how it stands up to freezing.

I know you'll like it if you like Italian sausage and creamy soup.

Begete 10-18-2013 02:35 PM

Glad you liked it, Mary. Let me know how it freezes, please. I was worried about freezing it for fear the cream might separate.

btw, Ladies. This is my own recipe that I made up, myself. We had a soup like this in a restaurant, but apparently they buy it already made by Heinz. There was no recipe online, so I tried to imitate what we ate in the restaurant and I think mine was even better. That's why the ingredients do not have exact proportions. I just kept adding stuff til I thought it was good.

mykneesareback 10-18-2013 05:36 PM

We have had this soup in 2 restaurants before, and the browning of the sausage is what makes it really good, Begete, thanks for your tips to make it at home. It's easy to tweak :)

jshep 10-23-2013 05:37 AM

This turned out great!

I it made exactly as the recipe directed and really enjoyed it.

Now I'm going to try the recipe again but substitute crumbled bacon and minced clams for the sausage. :up:

Begete 10-23-2013 10:23 AM

jshep = please let us know how it comes out with the other ingredients!

jshep 10-26-2013 03:28 AM

My "Clam Chowder ala Begete" turned out to be pretty tasty.

When I make it again, instead of pre-cooking the bacon in the micro, I'll fry it, remove it from the fat left in the pan and cook the onions in the fat before proceeding.

I didn't have kale, used the broccoli I had instead and I used clam broth instead of chicken broth. No wine this time and I adjusted the spices to match those in real clam chowder.

The best part? Being able to use heavy whipping cream!! Low carb and I are going to get along just fine.

Your recipe has inspired me, Begete. I see lots of variations....next may be roasted red peppers whirred in the blender with sausage, parm and hwc, etc....something along those lines.

Thanks again, Begete, keep the good ideas coming!

Mssarge 10-26-2013 12:54 PM

Don't you just love "basic recipes" like this that inspire you to greater things? BTW, freezing the broth and ingredients before adding the cream works wonderfully...just add the cream and parm after you've thawed and heated the soup.

Thanks again for the inspiration, Babette.

Begete 10-27-2013 09:15 AM

Has anyone tried to figure out an exact carb count for any variation of this?

I guess as long as there is no sugar in the sausage, the only major carbs would come from the white wine.

Patience 10-27-2013 09:36 AM

Don't forget to count carbs in the onion.