LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
FRIDAY'S Roll Call, Oct. 11

I don't know where Thursday went, but I'm barely getting in here tonight, we were out and about again. Had to return a hummingbird feeder to Lowe's and get another one, went to Kroger's to shop groceries, and then to lunch at a Mexican place. Putting the groceries away always takes it's own sweet time. Fix chicken dinner for dh and son, fish for Silas, and then yakking and dishes. Tired me out.

Tomorrow night, dh and I have "date night", have tickets to see the Tejas Brothers at Hank's Texas Grill, about 3 miles away from us, reserved a table right by the stage. Have to be there after 7:30, to order dinner and the show starts at 9 pm !!! sort of "late" for us, but oh well. We will be babysitting Saturday AM, so our son can get his x-rays done, his CT scan is on Monday, they found out he is allergic to the stuff they put in the veins for the CT scan, so has to have it done at the hospital.

So, let's have a productive Friday, if we can, I know I have Mt. Washmore to climb once again.

to our friends under the weather, or not up to par.
Sending prayers and hugs.

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

One more question: Does anyone have a favorite dressing for Cole Slaw? My husband hates my low carb cole slaw dressing, if someone has a tasty dressing, would you mind if you could please post it for me?

Thank You!!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Doris, I'm afraid I'm just a sweetened mayo with lemon juice, a bit of yogurt and a shake of celery seed kinda gal for cole slaw....although I will occasionally have the red wine vinegar, or just plain lemon juice for the cabbage. What do you put in your slaw? I'm a cabbage, celery, carrot and a tad of onion person.

Don't know if I'll be around in the morn as I've that early breakfast to go to...but then I'm supposed to be fasting so how can I attend a breakfast soiree? Can't even have a cup of coffee with the gals....so maybe I won't go.

Hope you all have a great day...

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Doris, if you ever find a decent LC coleslaw dressing, please let us all know. I haven't ever found one either.

DH and I walked the beaches today toick up some driftwood. I want to use them for growing small cactuses.
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Doris, remembered this is always a favorite for pot lucks so thought I'd share it with you...

COLE SLAW DRESSING, has a lot of ingredients, but it's worth it and even better next day
3/4 cup mayonnaise 1/8 tsp celery salt
3 Tbs sugar Dash black pepper
1 1/2 Tbs white wine vinegar 1 Tbs lemon juice
1/3 cup oil 1/2 cup half and half
1/8 tsp garlic powder 1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp onion powder 1/8 tsp dry mustard
Blend together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and oil. Add garlic and onion powders, mustard, celery salt, pepper, lemon juice, half and half, and salt. Stir until smooth. Pour over finely shredded cabbage right before your serve it and toss until the cabbage is well coated.

Last edited by Mssarge; 10-11-2013 at 12:01 AM..
Old 10-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Good mornin and thanks to our Doris.

Best slaw I ever had was a restaurant that put a tad of blue cheese in- amazin. I also use rice wine vinegar as champayne vinegar is just too costly now. Taste before addin salt as the blue cheese is salty. Lemon and celery seed are must.
I too want to see that shrimp dish Gladys.
Another rainy day all day today so will do house work and should stay awake today as I did sleep thru the niht after my sit coms- Bang Theory, The Millers, Sean something which I choose over Crazy Ones... Robin just seems stupid to me now but I blame the writers mostly.
Time for next round of meds and get on with the day around here.
Would love a hot tub.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
On the crawfish I just cook down onions,put in garlic,one small can of tomato sauce and a can of mushroom soup cook a long time then add crawfish.Dh likes thing plain.I have him taste as I only like crawfish boiled.Served over white rice as he hates brown.
The slaw here is not really slaw but just shredded cabbage with salt,pepper and white vinegar.Plain food guy.Beets are served the same way,but we have not had beets in a long time.
BBL
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Oh Gladys, your crawfish recipe sounds like one version my husband had when we someplace in Texarkana, no other places ever made them like that, the creamed soup must make the difference.

Thanks so much for the cole slaw recipe and tips, I'm copying them down. I need to go to the store for all those things, I haven't even bought any vinegar here yet, had most of those ingredients in Calif. My husband has ordered cole slaw in places up and down Calif., and he says it just doesn't taste like he had it when we went through the south in 1997. Memphis was the best, at a bbq place. To me, most of them taste the same, but I'll try the recipe for sure, thank you very much!!!!

We got up after 8 am, that hasn't happened since we first got married, and on a weekend, lol. It stays so dark here, in the early AM, and there are clouds today, we need to get used to this still. In Calif., it became lighter after 5:30 am, maybe we are weird or something??

I need to print out some pictures for mother in law, and write a letter to go with them.

Wishing you all a good day, a comfortable day, if you are able to have that.
Grandson is coming tomorrow morning, so digging around for some "new to him" old toys.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #9

Yes, I held a bag of crawfish in my hands yesterday at Kroger's, 2 different brands, but I bought shrimp instead...........the stores here are amazing, compared to what we were used to, up in the mountains. Maybe others can find them locally, no matter where you live now.

Linda, are you going on one more trip in your motor home?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Good morning, busy morning and now I'm going out to get gas before I come back to finish cleaning and laundry. UGH!!!

Doris, Does your DH like the creamy or non creamy cole slaw dressing? I have several of each that I use depending on mood.

Gladys, thanks. I like most seafood plain with just butter too, but my DH loves to try different things.

Hi to Babette, Mary, Lainey, and lurkers.

BBL
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #11

Linda, he likes it creamy.............
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Doris and G. Captain D's has one of my fav. cole slaw and KFC (most of them) do a real good slaw but I am bettin the one he will like the best (me too) is Popeyes! I have been known to just stop for a large ($$) tub of just the cole slaw but the smarter way is to get an order that 2 sides comes with and request the two sides to both be slaw.
Being lazy today so what else is new?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #13

Thanks, Lainey, have never been to Popeye's in Calif., but there is one about 3 miles away, and they send coupons in the mail, will let my hubby know about that!!!

Off to eat my hard boiled eggs and cheese lunch, so I can enjoy dinner tonight.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

lol Doris, Thank heavens my Popeyes is a bit far to just swing by or that is what I would be doing several times a week.... I do like Hardee's biscuits the best of everyones though.
Sheesh, now I am hungry and it is not close to supper time at all.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #15

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/141/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Doris, I use Kraft's Creamy Caesar dsg and sprinkle with splenda to taste. He could go with sugar if he prefers. I find it makes an awesome coleslaw dressing. I go for easy peasy.

WE are getting ready for Thanksgiving up here. I know a tad early for you guys but our growing season is much shorter so we had best be thankful now.

DGD has her official letter that she will be riding at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto in November, so the heat is on so to speak. Ha!

I have two appointments next week Wed with my oncologist a lovely man and on Thursday with a surgeon whom I have never met yet.
I have requested two other surgeons to consider too so I will see who I decide.

Thanks Gladys for that recipe for the crawfish. I don't think I have ever had those yet. I like the idea of a can of tomato sauce and can of soup, easy peasy suits me fine.

Mary, your recipe sounds a keeper too. I find they are all much better the next day too. Yum.

Wishing all a pleasant Evening and hope to bbt....
Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #16

Susan, congrats to granddaughter's letter of attendance at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto!!

Mary, what do you add to the Slaw, the next day, when it seems to usually need some liquid added to it? Half and Half, chicken broth, ????

I'm going to start the Roll Call for Saturday early, due to going out to that Honky Tonk tonight................
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is the birthday lunch

from Mary Ann.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (46.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No cheese and crackers with my whine, please. it's a down day

Hey guys, I feel like I've laid five miles of track today...to quote an old phrase. Disregard next paragraph if you don't want to mess with my whine.

Tried to sleep in and made it a bit as I had a no coffee/fasting morning with my first test at noon. It was the chemical CT stress test which kicked my behind to say the least. It always gives me a headache and, of course, a no-caffeine hangover so I can't tell which it is. I really hate the chemical stress test but, of course, the cardiologist had to have it as part of the Cat scan...then, was able to eat a snack I'd brought, but still no coffee. Then, the echo-cardiogram before being able to grab a bite before I was off to the orthopedist...whew! My bod feels like I've strenuously worked out and the brain has definite fog. I probably should not have been driving around; another reason I miss the old man. Another whine before I'm finished...now the site where they inserted the IV in my hand was not pressured enough afterwards and the bruise is from the base of my thumb past the wrist and hurts like the devil...putting an icebag on it but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Now, I'm back home but the eyelids are drooping and I shouldn't have any more caffeine or I won't be able to sleep tonight. I kept my kcals low even tho' I decided to treat myself to pastrami sandwich and my first cup of coffee. Brought half home to share with the fur kids.

Happy Thanksgiving, Susan. Do you have special plans for the holidays, or do you hide from the festivities as I do? (one of our stores, none of which are in my town, have a special...buy one turkey breast and get a second one free...I may go searching for a Von's market)

Doris, the slaw is quite moist the second day and doesn't really need any addition. A couple of other thoughts I had: Does your DH prefer the cabbage shredded or chopped, like KFC makes theirs which was the only way my DH would eat the slaw? There are sites on-line that can give you the recipe for faux KFC slaw which are really good, but of course you have to use a food processor or blender to get it chopped finely. If you'd like that recipe I can dig it out, as well.

and secondly, if shredding the cabbage, shred it extremely thinly and put in ice water to crisp it up, drain completely and even use a salad spinner if you have one to remove as much water as possible. This makes an extremely crisp salad. I make up the dressing if I'm not going to a pot luck and put only a bit on a cup or so of cabbage mix just for me, thus I have to make the dressing once in a while and have it handy.

Waving at everyone and hoping you had a much better day than mine...although, I know there are those who have had a much worse one. type ya later.