LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trish
Stats: 187
WOE: trying to do atkins
Start Date: march 2013
i'm new

hi, i have never done this before, so bear with me. i have to lose weight, for health reasons. i know i have to have support. is this a "support group" that i join? what do i have to do? again, bear with me, please. i am techno-impaired, and have no experience with "online support groups"--but i am desperate, and feeling rather lonely and hopeless. thanks for any help you can offer.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/168.5/155
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Hey, Trish and welcome We're a group of folks who support each other very well, thank you, and welcome newby's too. Hope you stick around long enough for us to get to know you and you us....some have been here for a very long time, others not so long and others still are new to the forum, too.

We all have reached that point when we knew we had to lose some pounds and got tired of losing then finding the same ten pounds...my epiphany was last year. I've been a low carber for years and have tried to stick to moderate carbs even in my weight gaining days. I decided last year it was time and tried the JUDDD woe and lost 45 pounds in only five months and maintained that loss for almost a year. It's time for me to lose the next 45 pounds and so am hopping back on that trail.

Others on this forum follow different plans; Rosedale, Dukan, Atkins, and some have devised their own plan and have been successful losing the pounds. So, yeah, we support each other no matter which path we've chosen.

What type of plan are you following? Whichever it is I highly recommend you buy the book, or check online for the guidance, because when we're first starting out, it is so much easier to lose when you have a plan. Then, I recommend you follow the plan...to the letter, to get you started and when you see those first few pounds drop off and stay off, it makes it so much easier to lose more.

Once you've decided what plan you're following, then check out the threads in the support group forums...I could not have lost the weight I did without the help and guidance of the folks on the JUDDD thread and the support I received from the folks here...it really does help to have a serious support group. The folks on the JUDDD thread have a daily chat thread, and a newby thread for those who are just starting this woe. I'm sure the other support groups have the same type of threads goin g....be sure to check 'em out.

In the meantime, hope you stick around....check out our menu and exercise threads as well..you don't have to be a techie to hang around here. We have a few folks are tech-oriented who have been able to help others....the more you do it, the simpler it becomes.

so, Stick around long enough for us to get to know you...hugs and good luck on your chosen path.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trish
Stats: 187
WOE: trying to do atkins
Start Date: march 2013
Thanks, Mary. I just typed a reply to you, and somehow lost it (i really am techno-challenged). so i will make it short this time, and tell you i have not really had a specific plan, but i like what you are saying about JUDD, so i am going to check it out right now.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/118/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Hi Trish

Welcome to low carb way of living. Be patient and don't be in a hurry. You are making changes in your way of eating that will be very important for the rest of your life.

We have an exercise thread and a daily menu thread. Join in as you wish.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/168.5/155
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Hey Trish, if you decide to try the alternate day diet (JUDDD) be sure to check on the support group forum and Dr. Johnson's web site...it's not for everyone and some find eating only 500 calories a day, even if you know you can have what you want on the other days, extremely difficult. As am I in getting back to the wol.

You may find remaining with Atkins through induction will be what you need to get you started. Loretta is so right, take your time and be patient...and remember my motto....Patience and persistence, not perfection. Nobody's perfect, nor do I think we want to be.

Good luck lady on whatever you decide
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Hi Trish, do you have some friends that you work with or see everyday, that you can get together with, sometimes that helps, also. Read up and try to figure out what way of eating and exercising that you can live with for the rest of your life............that is why it's time consuming, trial and error. Start out small and work your way up, so you don't get discouraged and poop out.

Join our daily menu and exercise threads, too. And, remember to come back, so many can't find us again...........
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #7

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Welcome Trish, this is a very friendly board and we try to help. People have different plans to lose weight and some work for some and others not.

DH and I have been living the Atkins low carb life style since 1997, lost the weight and have been maintaining.
Best of luck to you on this journey.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote