Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   OT: Ideas for computer games? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/812801-ot-ideas-computer-games.html)

weezie 09-23-2013 01:37 PM

OT: Ideas for computer games?

Hi all-

Do you have any suggestions for computer games? They are supposed to help "chemo brain." I used to love the Myst series - beautiful environments and puzzles.

I am confined to the house until my next blood test on Friday as my white count is too low to venture into public places. While I can read, knit, build dollhouse miniatures, paint, draw, and putter around, a new engrossing computer game would be a welcome diversion. Any ideas?

Many thanks!

-Louise

Mssarge 09-23-2013 02:41 PM

Hey Louise, good to hear from you and I'm glad to recommend a couple of computer games...actually I subscribe to Big Fish Games and they have lots of games that are free in addition to the ones they charge for.

I like Bookworm, which is a letter game in which you connect letters to make words and gain scores kind of like Scrabble you play by yourself. They throw in a burning tile and if it gets to the bottom of the stack, it catches everything on fire and you lose. My DH got very good at it by avoiding the outer stacks and working only on the inner ones this gives you a greater flexibility in building words.

I've several of the mystery type where you collect clues to solve the puzzles...I like the collector's series because they have a crib sheet for solving the puzzles.

My personal favorite is Bejeweled where you're trying to get from three to five gems together in order to gain scores.

And of course, I do the crossword puzzle in the on-line paper daily. I love crosswords but became an avid fan when I read of the groups of elderly nuns in Minnesota, I think, who all brain scans done which showed they all had alzheimers but showed absolutely no cognitive loss. The docs all claimed it was because they were all crossword puzzle workers.

Jewel quest is another game I play, but not well at all...I can never get each stage's quest accomplished in the time allowed...but it is a very brain stretching game.

Like I said, each of these games have a free trial which will get you familiar with the games and you don't need to buy them right away...I also recommend the type of game, can't think of a particular title, where in order to solve the puzzle you have to find objects in various rooms to match the list they give you....hidden object puzzles.

Keep stretching the brain, lady....I hope these suggestions help. hugs

weezie 09-23-2013 03:14 PM

Hi Mary-

Thanks for some terrific ideas. I used to do the NY Times crossword every day (though usually got stuck on Saturday's).

By the way, my husband has a NASCAR racing game that he loves. As I recall, you're into NASCAR. The game puts you in the driver's seat and you go round and round - some of the bigger races are featured. I think it's called NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. It would probably make me batty, but you might enjoy it.

Thanks again!

-Louise

birdlady 09-23-2013 04:20 PM

Mary covered about all the games,I like Mahjong also.I just type in the word and games come up.Also like card games and slot games a little also.Love match three games.
Have fun.

Mssarge 09-23-2013 05:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Louise, will certainly look into it as NASCAR is a favorite. I figure as long as we can keep the brain working, we are doing fine.

dlk35 09-23-2013 06:10 PM

Pop Cap games is another site.

Shalbrihil 09-23-2013 10:14 PM

I'm hooked on Zuma's Revenge and Bejeweled 3. I also like Mahjong.

Norfolk Mermaid 09-29-2013 05:54 PM

Idiots Delight- scroll down to Klondike double russian solitaire- something like that? I 'll check it next time I play. I am totally addicted to that game but am amazed at how quickly I unwind playing that game. My daily newspaper has a Criptoquip word game I love as well- neighbor saves the papers for me each weekly so I always have a goodly supply waiting for me.
Louise, think of you and Bob every single day. Best wishes for you both.
e.

SuSUN 09-30-2013 03:30 PM

:goodpost: Louise I too have been wondering what I can do to unwind.:hugs::heart:

I have been going to the Game Room on here to play the word games with others on here.:up: Lots of variety on there. Would love to see you post a word or two there.:up:

Now I can see that there are other places I may give them a try. Takes me a while to get used to a new site.:dunno:

porter_ia 10-30-2013 01:35 PM

Yep! Go to neopets.com! It has a lot of free fun games. There are guilds for adults to join to visit with other adults while playing games. It really is a fun place. Warning though, lol, it can become addictive. :D