mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Thank you Doris for our start out.

Thought I'd better get my foot in the door. Thanks again for your loyal start up. Take care of your foot and I'll be back in the morning.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Thanks for the start off, Doris. Have fun with the foot massage.

Hi Sharon,

Sticking my foot in the door and heading off to bed.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
You won't see me in the morning, as I will be elbow deep in cement making more of those leaves and stepping stones for the garden club fundraiser next spring.

Additionally, I have been asked to help set up a program in the science department of our local middle school to teach kids how to grow their own food, combining lessons in botany with enabling the kids to actually help out their families by growing food (we have some very poor families).

Sort of started when I commented that I thought the reasoning for not doing this - because seeds planted in the spring wouldn't mature until summer break - was silly because we have a huge greenhouse and many kinds of seeds could be started in September and there would be food within a few months - salad greens, carrots, beets, kale chard,....I am even trying to grow a fall crop of pea pods.

and the next thing I know, it's my project.....groan....
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 174 1/2 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Summer foods- back to UP DAYS/DOWN DAYS Oct. 1, 13
Start Date: 8-3-2012 UD
WHOOP DE DO! got on the winter robe this morning.

High in the low 70s for the day. Big surf for the dudes due to big winds.
Sorry- just so happy!
Good morning and thanks Doris for our faithful start up yet again.
Have been making Mary Ann wait while I do last minute things too often so I am getting ready (socks and lace up shoes that lots of time) to hit our AM walks when ever she gets here (to my credit she is some times early but I still hate making her wait even for a minute) .
I love the costumes on DWTS and the dancing is great as well but I find "Brook" so inane that after an hour I feel like throwing up from her stupid questions so I don't bother... computer recaps show off the costumes the next day. "Pretty does not make up for dumb" but of course she is told every word she says. Yeah, I am too picky! Beautiful women want to be smart and smart women want to be beautiful- luckily I am both! HA.
More yard work as I stuffed 2 leaf bags yesterday with cuttings and pullings and need to do at least 10 more. I intend to continue this pace throughout the winter months but know the weather will start to interfere at times.
Babbete! you are my hero! Sure wish I could be your "intern" on that course- I love to learn and help at the same time.
UCK! too much stevia in my coffee. Oh well! If that is the worst this day has to offer I am good.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #6

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/143.6/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Got my News...Stage 1

So I am thinking of a double mastectomy, not sure I want to be bothered with chemo and radiation. I am feeling positive and will plough on with the next challenge of surgery and getting the kids to help me while I recover to get back to the "new normal."

Nothing much planned for today another cool but bright and sunny day with clear blue sky, just heaven sent.

All you ladies sticking your foot in the door watch out. Hah! I am sure Doris wouldn't risk putting her foot in the door at this point. Did the massaging help last night?

Hope to check back later wishing All a productive and fun day.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weezie
Stats: 160/129/125 (5' 3")
WOE: mostly low carb
Susan-

Sorry you got positive results but glad you are stage 1. Any chance of BRCA gene (usually positive in those of Jewish heritage)? If not, even better.

My aunt had a double mastectomy but she was quite a bit older than you. With Stage 1 you may not require chemo or radiation. Double check with your doctor or get a second opinion. A friend who went through mastectomy and then reconstruction said reconstruction was quite painful, so there's yet another consideration should you opt for it.

Wish you all the best for quick healing, whichever route you take.

-Louise
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
Susan, sorry to hear your news but I know you will make the best choices for yourself.
I've been meaning to comment on your dgd's pictures, she is so cute. Actually, I think she resembles you!!

It is still hot down here but I notice the early morning is a bit cooler.
ocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 174 1/2 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Summer foods- back to UP DAYS/DOWN DAYS Oct. 1, 13
Start Date: 8-3-2012 UD
Oh Susan! So very sorry for your news.

Your brain must be whirling very fast in many circles right now. Thank God for the early stage. My prayers for you will continue on through out this time in your life. I will be thinking of you so often and when I do a prayer will be said for tenderness and love to continue to surround you as I know it will.
Your friend, Elaine
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Susan, positive thoughts going out to you. I know you will be in heavy thought. There are so many choices to make now. I wish you well.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
(oh! and the kitchen gadget queen got a new one in the post today....an electric pressure cooker. so more stuff coming)
Mary I love my electric pressure cooker. It's great for dried beans and I love to do artichokes in mine. It's so easy to use.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Good morning all...still waiting for the coolth to hit here. Last night it was 79 degrees at 11 p.m., this morning it's 73 degrees after the night's cool down. The experts are saying it's coming but slowly...but the Autumnal equinox is Sunday, so the coolth can't be far behind.

Susan, hugs ....and I know you'll make the right decision for you. You'll hear both sides of the mastectomy question and here's mine. I had a friend who decided for it and was never sorry she had...she was able to live a longer and fuller life because of it. more hugs

Babette, so happy for you; you'll be busy, busy, busy and happy, happy, happy...what's the old saying...never volunteer...but those that do are usually very happy and proud...

Doris, that foot must have started hurting after seeing the cobblestones...foots have long memories.

I've an early dinner tonight with a group of women veterans which looks to be exciting. Our local VA gets us together occasionally as a meet & greet and to pass along some good info. The VA is far more proactive with women vets than they were even a few years ago....should be fun and I'm looking forward to it.

Tha-a-a-a-at's all for now folks, type ya later. (BTW, the dried cherries were wonderful in the gingerbread last night, will definitely do that again.)

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 09-17-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #13

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Oh Susan, thank goodness you went often to be checked upon. Do you have some other women friends to speak with, who have gone through similar surgeries, maybe that will help you make your decision. Sending prayers, hugs for strength, and you will work your way through this!!
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/134.0/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Susan, I agree with the others when they say to think it over, and talk it over before rushing into any decisions. I hope knowing that you are loved by so many helps to bring you some comfort. Sending hugs your way!

Michele
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #15

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/143.6/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Thank YOU ALL. Yes, it sure does help knowing I have all you good people for support.
SuSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Sorry to hear your news, Susan, but relived it is Stage one. Do whatever you think is right for you. Were it me, I would go for the double if that would enable me to avoid chemo or radiation.
Begete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #17

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Oh Susan, I'm so sorry, but as Babette and the others said, do what you feel is best for you. I too would go for the double to avoid chemo and radiation.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Just got home from a very interesting dinner with women vets...our local VA hospital started them about six months, meeting every two months, so it's early on. The group is growing, today was about 45 ladies from all branches of service, one even served in Nam during the war....strange to talk to someone who paved the way for me and the younger troops serving now. This was a meet & greet with a speaker from the CalVet program with help on employment....not my cup o'tea but interesting to watch the younger folks with their myriad questions. An interesting time was had by all.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote